• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
We've announced all the winners and given them their trophies, but there is one last awAARd to hand out. It is a new awAARd and this is the first time we shall see a member honored. I thought it an important awAARd to include this year for a number of reasons. One, of course, is to honor the great MrT. It has been said before, but the rumor/legend has it that at one time, MrT wrote at least one third if not a half of the posts within the nascent AARland, or should we call it the proto-AARland? He was foundational in the building of this place both as a writAAR and a community member. He was a personal mentor/hero of mine and in many ways, I have patterned my behavior here much to follow that example. As a side note, I lost a very close friend of mine this year and began considering such honorifics and this of course led to thoughts of MrT (Chris). Sadly it seems that sometime after 2013, MrT also passed away and due to the nature of the internet, there was no real announcement of such. I know he was hailed by many of the old guard, but he should never be forgotten for his contributions to this place. Frankly, never be forgotten for the person that he was. Others knew him better, to be sure. But I am personally in debt to him and this awAARd is the least I could do.

The second reason follows from the first. Over the years, there have been many people to not only write but so too contributed to the community with comments, participation and general comradery. It is the backbone of this institution (if we are allowed to consider ourselves as such.) Those that do have certainly seen their fair share of thanks, but I thought it perhaps important to "put it down on paper" as it were. Let us call it a statue in the hallowed halls of the bAAR, or at least a plaque. ;)

There are no real guidelines to this awAARd. I suppose one might say, "longstanding member that has given the forum time, efforts, energy, AARs, comments and any other contribution that helps AARland to not only sustain but grow." That about sums it up for me. Those of you that offered a vote here seem to also hold that mind and six different people were put up for nomination this year that certainly have done that very thing over their tenure within AARland. However one member was given nomination a number of times and thus I give to you...

Nikolai joined the forum in 2001 an at early age. Like many, he waited a while before starting an AAR. Yet by 2004, he was ready and released two in short order. This is not surprising given how many he writes as by my count, Nikolai has 38 more since those first two. That is a lot of writing and yet that did not stop him from joining into conversation within AARland, by both comments and support to other writAARs, as well as giving back in special projects and of course, the most recent ACAs that he's been running for some time now. All of this has been done while he has been quite honest with us about many medical problems that have impeded both his life as well as time and effort here with us. Yet he returns and continues.

I cannot be more proud to present this inaugural awAARd to @Nikolai for he is a model of what it is meant to represent. A fine tradition continues because of people like you, sir! Thank you for everything that you do and we, AARland, are better for it! Congratulations, my friend! :)

• 7Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Congratulations, @Nikolai ! Well deserved for all he gives.

HandClap.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
A titan of the boards. Congratulations @Nikolai. I will freely confess to having lent my ballot to an alternative candidate, but that was in large part down to the fact I suspected this one would be yours for the taking. Exceptionally well deserved recognition for years of service to our humble community.

• 3Like
Reactions:
A lovely addition to the yearly awards and a huge congratulations to @Nikolai who has done so much over the years to add to these boards.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thank you from the bottom of my heart, all! :D This is a great honor, and I am thankful to you all! This community is amazing and a place I treasure. :) To be honest I didn't even consider myself a possible candidate before someone posted my name by accident a while back. I guess I should have considered it a possibility, but really, there are so many worthy members of this board that could have got it! :D

Thank you again, this is so so so appriciated. If you have a glass, please raise it for MrT, @coz1 and AARland! Cheers! :D

• 4Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
My warmest congratulations, @Nikolai! Exceptionally well-deserved, as has been said. You are a good friend, a good citizen of AARland, and an all-around decent human being. You do a lot to help elevate this place (not the least of which is proctoring the ACAs, a very laborious task), and I am very pleased to see your efforts receive the recognition you so richly deserve. Well done, my friend!

• 3Like
Reactions:
I logged in for the first time in many years to congratulate Mr. Nik on a well deserved award. I know that I have lurked many AARs here over the years and Mr. Nik has always been one that I read.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks again, everybody. It is so touching to see your appriciation. :) It is a good place to be at, this little corner of the internet. You all make it better!

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations on your unprecedented award and thank you for all that you do. Thank you to Mrs. @Nikolai for your patience and support.

@Coz, thank you for conducting the YAYAs. Will the Mr. T award be back next year? If yes, would you mind releasing the names of the other five nominees, either now or at the start of the next YAYAs to give us a starting list to consider.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congratulations on your unprecedented award and thank you for all that you do. Thank you to Mrs. @Nikolai for your patience and support.

@Coz, thank you for conducting the YAYAs. Will the Mr. T award be back next year? If yes, would you mind releasing the names of the other five nominees, either now or at the start of the next YAYAs to give us a starting list to consider.

For next years award it might be a nice idea to have a period when nominations can be made (possibly by PM again) and then a separate thread with a poll could allow for voting.

That’s how some parts of the End Year awards were done in the early 2010s for key categories like WritAAR of the Year. This award could suit that set up well and a bit of narrative could be provided for people not aware of the nominees’ full AARLand backstory.

• 3Like
Reactions:

I think at the very least all previous recipients of the Lifetime Achievement AwAARd should be listed, both as a roll of honor and to make people aware of who has already received it when casting their votes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think at the very least all previous recipients of the Lifetime Achievement AwAARd should be listed, both as a roll of honor and to make people aware of who has already received it when casting their votes.
I trust this will be enshrined, but of course this is the first year of the award, so Nikolai is the inaugural awardee.

I kind of like the idea of keeping it secret so it's a surprise. At the same time I realize it might be helpful for some newer members to know who might be considered. I'm torn.

Rensslaer

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I trust this will be enshrined, but of course this is the first year of the award, so Nikolai is the inaugural awardee.

I kind of like the idea of keeping it secret so it's a surprise. At the same time I realize it might be helpful for some newer members to know who might be considered. I'm torn.

Rensslaer
Yes, I completely agree on all counts.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Yus. Very good choice and inaugural award winner.

Very good job @Nikolai

• 2Like
Reactions:
Budget cuts, lay-offs, rising inflation, soaring prices, capitalist onslaught on humanity, etc. so the concerts are off for this season.

So congrat's to all the winners, the nominees, the voters, the readaars, the lurkaars, everyone. Yeah.

...except for The 2023 MrT Lifetime Achievement AwAARd. And the awAARdee.

This was long overdue.

<guitars arrive>
<drums appear>
<bass is the king in this one, takes the pole position>
<and the vocal is ready, like since yesterday>

a3.jpg

As the sun breaks, above the ground
An aarlander stands on the hill
As the ground warms, to the first rays of light
A birdsong shatters the still

His eyes are ablaze
See the titan in his gaze

Fly, on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the stars
@Nikolai, like an eagle
Fly and touch the stars
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Now the crowd breaks and a young filcat appears
Looks the aarlander in the eye
As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd:
"In the name of aarland, Nikolai, now fly!"

The aarlander seems so amazed
As he flies on the words of dreams
Now he knows filcat congratulated
Now his wings spreads into sky, into sky his stories

Fly as high as the stars
Nikolai, like an eagle
Fly and touch the stars
a4.jpg
a5.jpg

Fly as high as the stars
Nikolai, like an eagle
Fly as high as the stars

On your way, like an eagle
Fly, touch the stars

On your way, like an eagle
Nikolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai
a7.jpg

<and do not miss the outro 3:10-3:49>
a6.jpg

Fly as high as the stars!

Appropriated butchered from Flight of Icarus of the album Piece of Mind by Iron Maiden (1983)
Images from the concert in Dortmund (1983)

Edit: Minor corrections on the formatting.

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 2Like
Reactions: