• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idhrendur

Keeper of the Converters
108 Badges
Feb 27, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Sengoku
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
This thread is for providing information on the various fan-made converters for Paradox's games. The primary focus will be on the ones I help produce, but I'll gladly provide links to others as well.

General information used in developing the different converters will likely go here, too.

(In the AAR forum because megacampaigns are getting popular, and there isn't a general mod forum. Mods, move or delete or whatever as appropriate)

List of Known Converters

Also, see KoM's main page for his converters. In addition to the other converters, it has a V2:AHD to AoD converter.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
CK2 to EU3 Converter Project
The CK2 to EU3 converter project will allow you to take a game from the end of CK2 and convert it into a playable EU3 save, continuing your game. It is compatible with the EU3 to Vic2 converter.

Important Links:
Download Link
Main Forum Thread
CK2+ modifications
Flavourful Titular Titles modifications

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will this work with CK2 mod X or EU3 mod Y?
A: There are updated data files for CK2+, see the link above. As for other mods, maybe. We aren't developing the converter with mods in mind, so few will likely work out of the box. However, much of the raw data is pulled from the game installations or our rule files, so it could be adapted for many mods. Any of this work will be left to the creators or the fans of those mods, though we will gladly provide guidance.

Q: Why do most of the country names turn out funny?!
A: There simply aren't enough nations in EU3 to cover all the potential nations that might exist by the end of a CK2 game. Short of making an EU3 that includes over 1000 new nations, there's nothing much to do but assign a CK2 nation an unused EU3 nation. Nations that have direct EU3 versions will convert correctly (So England should become England, France should become France and so on). However, if you use the converter mod, the converter will create new nations as needed, so this will not happen. (from this post).

Q: The converter didn't work. What's wrong?
A: The converter is a work in progress, so there's a good chance you found a bug. Please post about it. Include a description of what did or didn't happen, the versions of CK2 and EU3 you are running, the information in log.txt (copy and paste it, but wrap it in [ code ] [ /code ] tags), and if possible, a link to the save you're trying to convert. These will help us determine what happened.

Q: I got an error that mentions MSVCP120.dll. What do I do?
A : Go to the Visual Studio Redistributable page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40784
then click Download and select vcredist_x86.exe.
Once it has downloaded, install it and run the converter again.

Q: I'm getting an error that says "Too many CK2 nations". What's wrong?
A: There are fewer EU3 tags available than there are CK2 titles. In this case, your save has more independent titles than there are available tags. That means there's no way for us to map countries properly, and we can't convert. While long-term we may be able to ease this a little, this will be a possibility even when the converter is complete. If it's not 1453 yet in your save, try playing for longer in the hope nations consolidate a bit more. Alternately, if you use the converter mod, the converter will create new nations as needed, so this will not happen.

Q: The converter can't open 'adjacencies.bin'. What do I do?
A: Regenerate your map cache.

Q: I get an error that says "Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt". What does that even mean?
A: The converter is trying to check the converter mod's religions file. If you don't have the mod, you'll see this error. However, it causes no harm. You can just ignore it.

Last edited:
Reactions:
EU3toVic2 Converter Project
The EU3 to V2 Converter Project converts a save game from the end of EU3 into a save game at the beginning of V2, for vanilla, AHD, or HoD.

Important Links
Download
Converter Mod
Main Forum Thread

How to Use
1) Download the converter and unzip it wherever.
2) Run "Converter.UI.exe".
3) Set all options appropriately.
4) Switch to the 'convert' tab.
5) Click 'Save configuration file'.
6) Click 'Convert'.
4) This will create a file in the converters directory called "output.v2".
7) Copy "output.v2" to "[YOUR VICTORIA DIRECTORY]/save games" and run Victoria 2
8) Load the output game and immediately save the game. Then resign, and load that game.
9) Enjoy!
10) (optional) Write an AAR so we can enjoy, too!

FAQ
Q: Which versions of EU3 and V2 does this work with?
A: This converter will convert EU3 games from as early as IN to as late as DW. It can convert to HoD (version 3.x), AHD (version 2.3), and vanilla V2 (1.3 and the 1.4 beta patch).

Q: Will this work with EU3 mod X or V2 mod Y?
A: Maybe. We didn't develop the converter with mods in mind (apart from our official one), so few will likely work out of the box. However, much of the raw data is pulled from the game installations or our rule files, so it could be adapted for many mods. Any of this work will be left to the creators or the fans of those mods, though we will gladly provide guidance.

Q: Why do many of the country names turn out funny?!
A: Unless you're using the converter mod, the EU3 and V2 nations don't line up one-to-one. We try to match up the one-to-one nations first, then convert to an available nation in the general region, and if we cannot do either, then we'll use an arbitrary leftover nation. However, if you use the converter mod, this problem is completely eliminated.

Q: Why are the Great Powers all messed up?!
A: Saving and reloading the game, as directed, will fix this.

Q: I'm getting odd errors, and am using a Steam installation of one of the games.
A: Sometimes various files just get messed up under Steam. Try clicking Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Q: I got an error that mentions MSVCP120.dll. What do I do?
A : Go to the Visual Studio Redistributable page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
then click Download and select vcredist_x86.exe.
Once it has downloaded, install it and run the converter again.

Q: The converter didn't work. What's wrong?
A: It's likely a configuration problem (though it's also possible you found a bug). Please post about it on the appropriate converter thread so we can help you (or fix the bug). Include a description of what did or didn't happen, the versions of EU3 and V2 you are running, the information in log.txt (copy and paste it, but wrap it in [ code ] [ /code ] tags), and if possible, a link to the save you're trying to convert. These will help us determine what happened.

Credits
Sid Meier: Coordination
Idhrendur: Programming
Dtremenak: Programming
Maksim17: Programming
DasGuntLord01: Systems Analysis, Data Files
Kalelovil: Systems Analysis
Novapaddy: Data Files
Khorney: Converter Mod
Magc8Ball: Flagpack

Special Thanks To:
Chaingun: Programmer
SegFaultx64: Programmer
Dr_V: Programmer/Contributor
Alfred Packer: Contributor
Enokmik: Contributor
King Of Men: Honorary contributor

Pop Weight Formula (so we don't lose it)
Code:
pop_weight = ( unmodified_base_tax + trade_value / 10 + unmodified_mp /1000 + Is_Exotic ) (*2) + Num_of_Buildings /4

Last edited:
Reactions:
V2 to HoI3 Converter Project
This project will create an application that will convert a Victoria 2 save game to a Hearts of Iron save game.

Useful Links
Download
Main Forum Thread

Current Build: v0.6 (Very Alpha)
Known Issues:
- Armies are each one huge division. Should be in divisions of 4 brigades each.
- Naval bases and Coastal Forts appear inland.
- Navies have no base defined, potentially causing them to disappear on day 1.

Crew:
Idhrendur
Dtremenak
DasGuntLord
Zonix01
... and some I'm sure I've forgotten.

Heroes of Mapping
Novapaddy (Almost but not quite everything, like a boss!)

Special Thanks:
SuiciSpai (for whichever bits of RandomHoI we steal).

Last edited:
EU4 To V2 Converter Project
The EU4 to V2 Converter Project will convert a save game from the end of EU4 into a save game at the beginning of V2. It is currently under development.

Version 0.3A has been released, which outputs country history files, common/country files, and province history files.

Instructions
1. Download the converter and unzip it wherever.
2. Copy your EU4 save into the converter directory.
3. Edit configuration.txt to point at your game installs, and to set any options you care about.
4. Drag and drop your save onto EU4toV2Converter.exe
5. Go into the output folder.
6. Copy the folder named after your save and the corresponding mod file into your V2 mod folder.
7. Start Victoria 2, and select the mod.

Important Links
Main Forum Thread

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just a quick status update:

• The multi-converter frontend is nearing the same set of features as the old one(s). I've used it to convert a couple of saves from ck2 to eu3.
  • Some new features are in. Obviously, it supports multiple converters. It also works more like a Wizard (guiding you through some steps) and not as a set of tabs like the previous version. I also wanted the log to work as self-documentation, in a way. The log now supports clickable links, so that if I log "file.save was copied to d:\games\eu3\saves" or somesuch, you can click the log entry and it takes you to the correct folder, and selects the new file.
  • I need to spend some time doing (boring) testing and (less boring) bug fixing.
  • It still looks ugly as something really ugly, but I won't promise that I'll actually spend time making it look better. I can't imagine anyone cares much as long as it's functional. :)
  • I need make sure the new converter(s?) you've been working on is properly supported. So far I've only added Ck2 -> Eu3 and Eu3 -> Vic 2.
  • I have a bunch of new features I might want to add.

New frontend status update:
  • CK2 -> EU3: Almost done, but I'll leaning towards postponing further work until the converter itself supports the new patch. (Expanded map and all that.)
  • EU3 -> VIC2: Some bugfixing remains, and it doesn't support copying files/folders around. Idhrendur, I belive you mentioned you wanted to rewrite this part of the converter to behave more like the CK2 -> EU3 one - is that still the plan?
  • EU4 -> VIC2: Not really started with this yet. It's not really useful for me to work on this until the converter itself has stabilised and we know what sorts of options it needs in configuration.txt.

• CK2->EU3: Actually, I don't plan to update this one. It's hardly ever downloaded any more, and there have only been a handful of questions at all this year.
  • EU3->V2: That's what I'd like. I anticipate one more release, too, when my AAR gets to around that point.
  • EU4->V2: Fair enough! This is the focus of my development efforts, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

• CK2 -> EU3: Ok, np. I'll leave it in it's current state, then.
  • EU3 -> Vic 2: I'll try to sort out any non-addon related issues I can find, but I don't think there are that many left.
  • EU4 -> Vic 2: As far as you've gotten thus far - do you know if this converter needs to do things we haven't done already with other converters?

Idhrendur: Just a quick update from my side of things, since it's been a while since I added anything to sourceforge. The company I worked for went bankrupt recently, which means I have to find a new job, and - to complicate matters - I'm considering moving to another city as well. Depending on how all of this goes, I might have very little (or very much :)) time to work on the frontend over the summer. Do you have any notion on how far away you are from declaring a v1 release of the EU4->V2 converter? (At which point it would be great if the frontend was up to date as well.)

The major thing I'm working on before all this happened, was how to handle the inclusion of converter specific paths, which the frontend up to this point hasn't needed. Basically, prior to this, all converters only needed to support certain pre-defined paths, which existed for almost all the different converters: installation path, save game path, mod path, etc, so I more or less hard coded that tab in the frontend. Unlike the later tabs (In the case of the Eu4->V2 converter, this includes stuff like setting V2gametype, resetProvinces, etc), it's not dynamically created from xml. I'm currently considering whether or not I should change that, making the frontend even more generic. Another, possibly quicker alternative would be to just hard code the additional paths the Eu4->V2 converter needs as a separate tab, but then I have to come up with a mechanism for injecting the that tab only for the EU4->V2 converter, which - while certainly doable - probably has it's own set of challenges. Either way, I'll keep you updated as soon as I have something that works.

Another question: While reading through the EU4->V2 thread, I noticed this post. Have you thought enough about this to describe how you intend to let this be configured?

Without knowing anything about how this works, I'll just list a few options that comes to mind:
  1. A separate configuration file (That is, not configuration.txt) that the user has to edit manually.
  2. A separate configuratoin file that the frontend can construct.
  3. A part of configuration.txt, in which case the frontend HAS to construct it, since configuration.txt is overwritten/the output from the frontend.

Depending on the complexity, I'd rather go for option 1, which may or may not lead to option 2 eventually. If it gets included in configuration.txt (and assuming non-trivial complexity), it might become an added argument for going with the "converter specific tabs injection" approach mentioned above, which is the reason I bring it up now.

Idhrendur: Just a quick update from my side of things, since it's been a while since I added anything to sourceforge. The company I worked for went bankrupt recently, which means I have to find a new job, and - to complicate matters - I'm considering moving to another city as well. Depending on how all of this goes, I might have very little (or very much :)) time to work on the frontend over the summer. Do you have any notion on how far away you are from declaring a v1 release of the EU4->V2 converter? (At which point it would be great if the frontend was up to date as well.)

The major thing I'm working on before all this happened, was how to handle the inclusion of converter specific paths, which the frontend up to this point hasn't needed. Basically, prior to this, all converters only needed to support certain pre-defined paths, which existed for almost all the different converters: installation path, save game path, mod path, etc, so I more or less hard coded that tab in the frontend. Unlike the later tabs (In the case of the Eu4->V2 converter, this includes stuff like setting V2gametype, resetProvinces, etc), it's not dynamically created from xml. I'm currently considering whether or not I should change that, making the frontend even more generic. Another, possibly quicker alternative would be to just hard code the additional paths the Eu4->V2 converter needs as a separate tab, but then I have to come up with a mechanism for injecting the that tab only for the EU4->V2 converter, which - while certainly doable - probably has it's own set of challenges. Either way, I'll keep you updated as soon as I have something that works.

Another question: While reading through the EU4->V2 thread, I noticed this post. Have you thought enough about this to describe how you intend to let this be configured?

Without knowing anything about how this works, I'll just list a few options that comes to mind:
  1. A separate configuration file (That is, not configuration.txt) that the user has to edit manually.
  2. A separate configuratoin file that the frontend can construct.
  3. A part of configuration.txt, in which case the frontend HAS to construct it, since configuration.txt is overwritten/the output from the frontend.

Depending on the complexity, I'd rather go for option 1, which may or may not lead to option 2 eventually. If it gets included in configuration.txt (and assuming non-trivial complexity), it might become an added argument for going with the "converter specific tabs injection" approach mentioned above, which is the reason I bring it up now.

Ouch, that's no fun at all. Though a ton of work happened on EU3 to V2 after I got laid off and I needed a break from real jobs.

A 1.0 release is still months away, at least. So no worries there (though having a frontend included with EU4 to V2 would stop configuration-related errors from getting brought up).

As to that post, I understood it to be something that can be handled by the pop conversion code once it's up and running, with maybe some new rules in the culture conversion configuration file.

Ouch, that's no fun at all. Though a ton of work happened on EU3 to V2 after I got laid off and I needed a break from real jobs.

Yeah, I can imagine this going both ways. :)

A 1.0 release is still months away, at least. So no worries there (though having a frontend included with EU4 to V2 would stop configuration-related errors from getting brought up).

Just took a very quick look at v0.3, and there seems to be nothing difficult there except the path issue described in the previous post, so once that is sorted, a working frontend might not be that far off.

As to that post, I understood it to be something that can be handled by the pop conversion code once it's up and running, with maybe some new rules in the culture conversion configuration file.

Ok, nothing I need to worry about then. :)

V2 to DH Converter Project

Important Links
Download
Forum Page

Instructions
  1. Download the mod base (V2toDH Mod) folder and converter here.
  2. Extract anywhere.
  3. Run V2toDH.exe
  4. In the first text box, Load your save with the button “Load Save” or paste the location of your save.
  5. In the second text box, paste your Victoria 2 Directory. An example is shown in the textbox.
  6. Are you using a mod? Yes – go to step 7. No – go to step 8.
  7. Click the checkbox next to “using mod?” Then choose the mod directory of the mod you are using. An example is shown in the textbox.
  8. Click “Convert” at the bottom left. Wait about 1-2 minutes depending on computer speed.
  9. When conversion is complete a message box will appear saying “Done!” then click OK.
  10. Go to your Darkest Hour directory. Then go to your “Mods” folder. You should see your mods and the basic ones like “Darkest Hour Full” and “Darkest Hour Light”
  11. Paste the “V2toDH Mod” folder here. This is a slimmed down version of Darkest hour full.
  12. Go to the output folder where you placed the V2toDH.exe, there should be 5 folders, ai, config, db, gfx, and scenarios. Copy these inside the “V2toDH Mod” folder from step 11. Replace everything.
  13. Run Darkest Hour, choose V2toDH Mod from mod list, and choose the 1936 scenario, Play!
FAQ

Q: I get an error when converting/loading the game!
A: Post the error here or PM me along with the save/mod folder and I will do my best to get it to fix it!

Please post this info if the converter is not working

There is a problem with the conversion:
Please send me an image or paste what the error said during conversion.

There is a problem when I load the game:
1. Go to your Darkest Hour directory
2. Find "settings.cfg" and open with notepad
3. Find the line that says "Extra Debug logs", there should be a "0 #" before it, change the "0" to "1"
4. Load the mod and let it crash
5. In your Darkest Hour directory, copy the code from "savedebug.txt" and post it here (with spoilers).

Q: The country for the scenario isn’t the one I want to play.
A: Go to V2toDH/config/world_names.csv
Find the country name you want to play, then find the TAG (3 all caps letters that represent a country) on the same line
Go to V2toDH/scenarios/custom2.eug
Replace the TAG on line 6 “selectable = { TAG }” and on line 7 “TAG = {}” to the TAG you found

Q: Some of the countries did not transfer?
A: The V2 to DH map is not 1:1, V2 has around 2700 provinces, DH has around 2200. This means 500 provinces did not transfer. How it works is that every provinces in DH is linked to a V2 province, so that means 500 V2 provinces do not transfer. What happens if there is an OPM, and its provinces happens to not be linked to a DH province, the country is eliminated. Hope you weren’t that OPM!

Q: My or other countries units and capital are in a strange location?
A: As said above there is not a 1:1 conversion, and thus the capital might not transfer. To make sure a country has a capital, if the capital does not transfer the lowest number province ID a country owns is its capital. All of your infantry are placed at your capital at the start. The capital can be moved in TAG.inc in V2toDH/scenarios/custom

Q: How are units transferred?
A: Infantry are converted 1:1 all placed where they were in V2, or in your capital if the province did not transfer. Artillery are converted 1:1 as artillery brigades that are put in your production line with 1 day. Tanks are converted 1:1 as brigades that are put in your production line with 1 day. Airplanes are transferred as every 3 planes convert to 1 Int, 1 MR, and 1 TAC, all with 1 day production time. Ships are transferred as such, if you have a cruiser or dreadnaught, every 6 you own in V2 converts to 1 CV, 2 BB, and 3 DD all with 1 day production time.

Q: What are colorscales.csv and country.csv in the output?
A: Mistakes, ignore them. You can transfer them but they wont do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.