• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Idhrendur

Keeper of the Converters
108 Badges
Feb 27, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Sengoku
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
0.4 Doorman (Download)
DoormanReleaseBanner.png

0.4 Doorman - for Vic3[1.3-1.6] and Hoi4[1.14]

Updates to a game usually mean a fair bit of work to update the converter. Two games updating at nearly the same time? Turned out to be not so bad. There's some other small fixes, but this release is mostly for game update compatibility. Work on the stories system continues in the background.

All changes are pushed to the converter immediately, so make sure to update the converter every time you run it!

We do log a lot of balance-related information, so it would be helpful if you shared log.txt from the converter directory even for conversions that succeed. That'll help us determine the correct balance. As well, we know there's a bunch of weird map stuff. If you find more, please report them here.

As well, I've created a mod that tweaks some of the significant provinces to make VP locations and railroads come out better: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3040854878

For the next bit, we'll be working on ways to make the world more active and customizable. Hoi4 modders, this will be your time to shine, we'll need your help to make this great. More on this topic in a future post.

For release notes go here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/vic3-to-hoi4-converter-thread.1475076/post-28891729

-----------------------------------------------

Past Releases

Support the Converters

How you can help
We can use people of all skillsets on the converter. If you can do graphics, we need portraits, flags, etc. If you can program, we can really use your help. If you're analytical, you can help us design the converter. If you know QA, it'd be nice to have a test plan, maybe even a tester. If nothing else, you can help with data files and point at bugs. Or even write up what we've done on the wiki. If you'd like to help out, post a message on this thread so I can invite you to the development Discord.

FAQ
Q: I used a Vic3 mod, will the converter work with it?
A: It depends on what the mod changed. Your best bet is to simply try (and let us know how it went). Mods that change the map will need new province mappings.

Q: Is the converter compatible with my favorite HoI4 mod?
A: The converter makes total conversion mods for HoI4, so probably not.

Q: I loaded my mod, but vanilla HoI4 loaded. How do I make it load?
A: Make sure you've added your mod to a new playlist and then activated that playlist. If that doesn't work, try the solution in this thread. As well, if your My Documents folder has non-ascii characters in the path (such as anything with an accent, cyrillic, etc), there is an HoI4 bug that prevents mods from loading. You can try uploading your conversion to Steam Workshop, deleting the original, then subscribing to your uploaded mod.

Q: The converter stops after just a few seconds. What went wrong?
A: Run VC_redist.x64.exe in the converter directory.

Q: The converter says "Saving Configuration: Failed!" How do I fix it?
A: Disable your antivirus or whitelist the converter.

Last edited:
  • 18Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Reserved

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reserved

Reserved

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally, mega campaigns will no longer have to have that sort of awkward Victoria 2 phase!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've taken an initial look at things, and I see how to get started. It'll be a while before there's a release, but if you're a programmer we could use your help (we use C++). There will be a need for people willing to do grunt work like province mapping soon as well.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Wait, were you guys planning on having people mapping the 4k EU4 provs to the 41k Vic3 provs manually?
I have taken a glance at how the you guys format the province mapping file. I think that this program should be able to handle the bulk of the work. By using some quick image editing so the provs from EU4 largely overlap with their counterparts from Vic3.
I have included a proof of concept that covers the bulk of mainland North America.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wait, were you guys planning on having people mapping the 4k EU4 provs to the 41k Vic3 provs manually?
I have taken a glance at how the you guys format the province mapping file. I think that this program should be able to handle the bulk of the work. By using some quick image editing so the provs from EU4 largely overlap with their counterparts from Vic3.
I have included a proof of concept that covers the bulk of mainland North America.

I'm definitely passing this on to the team.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm really looking forward to this because...well, that the reason I'm making this post mainly, asking a dumb question :)

I have never used any save game converter so far, as the PDX games I actively played before Vic3 arrived were IR, HoI4 and CK3...which doesn't leave at lot of room conversions (and the ony possible one from IR to CK3 never seemed particularly attractive, as I play IR only in highly modded form)...so my question is:

What exactly does such a converter? Or more precisely (as I'm aware of the main function "end of campaign in game A reach, continue in game B at earliest date): What is transfered between the games?

I understand that you will continue with your tag on a map and the countries around you are transfered, too. But is it just that...or are other parameters usually taken over as well (of course modified to fit in the new games mechanics)? E.g. will I take over my country leader, politican,generals? Will armies, fleets and factories somehow be converted? Are diplomatic stances and laws kept or continued in way fitting in Hoi4? I'm aware that you are early in development (so maybe it is just not clear what is possible) and not every converter is probably the same in its extend (as the games converted into each other are different alone), but maybe you can give at least a slight impression for someone having no idea. Would perhaps be also a nice addition for the Q&A section of the initial post.

I'm really looking forward to this because...well, that the reason I'm making this post mainly, asking a dumb question :)

I have never used any save game converter so far, as the PDX games I actively played before Vic3 arrived were IR, HoI4 and CK3...which doesn't leave at lot of room conversions (and the ony possible one from IR to CK3 never seemed particularly attractive, as I play IR only in highly modded form)...so my question is:

What exactly does such a converter? Or more precisely (as I'm aware of the main function "end of campaign in game A reach, continue in game B at earliest date): What is transfered between the games?

I understand that you will continue with your tag on a map and the countries around you are transfered, too. But is it just that...or are other parameters usually taken over as well (of course modified to fit in the new games mechanics)? E.g. will I take over my country leader, politican,generals? Will armies, fleets and factories somehow be converted? Are diplomatic stances and laws kept or continued in way fitting in Hoi4? I'm aware that you are early in development (so maybe it is just not clear what is possible) and not every converter is probably the same in its extend (as the games converted into each other are different alone), but maybe you can give at least a slight impression for someone having no idea. Would perhaps be also a nice addition for the Q&A section of the initial post.
I recommend reading the wiki page for the vic2 to hoi4 converter, generally it converts things like ideologies, resources, factories etc. It's probably gonna be similar to the vic2 to hoi4

Last edited:
Reactions:
When will it come out for ordinary people?

Pd: If the translation is bad, I'm sorry, I'm using Google translate.
My real language is spanish

It'll be a while, months at least to have something basic.

Reactions:

I recommend reading the wiki page for the vic2 to hoi4 converter, generally it converts things like ideologies, resources, factories etc. It's probably gonna be similar to the vic2 to hoi4

The suggestion to check the wiki is a good one. It's poorly formatted but gives an idea of what we'll aim to do. In short, everything you've asked about is on our list.

Reactions: