• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Idhrendur

Keeper of the Converters
108 Badges
Feb 27, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Sengoku
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
Hi, everyone! The team is back with yet another converter for you to enjoy. If you aren't aware what these do, this tool will allow you to convert a CK3 game into an EU4 mod.

If you'd like to join the team, feel free to hop on over to the development thread.

The converter has detailed documentation available at its wiki page, please read it if you need any explanation on how the conversion works.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you never used a converter before, READ THIS FAQ. It contains detailed instructions how to use converters. It also helps with many common issues. When in doubt - READ THE FAQ.
faq.png

0.14N - Nestorian (Download)
NestorianReleaseBanner.png

Compatible with CK3 [1.10-1.12] and EU4 [1.36]

Byzantine Release​

We're still regularly updating the converter and maintaining support for a plethora of popular mods - through contributors who keep the mapping files current and updated. Otherwise, development is winding down (and reduced to bug patches) as EU4 is nearing EoL.

For Release notes go here:

Past Releases
0.14N - Nestorian
0.13M - Melian
0.12L - Lollard
0.11K - Kushite
0.10J - Jain
0.9I - Insular
0.8H - Hellenic
0.7G - Gayomarthian
0.6F - finnish_pagan
0.4D - dynamic_faith_102
0.3C - Cainite
0.2B - Baltic
0.1A - Adamite

FAQ

Q
: Is this the official converter?
A: This converter has been done by the same team that specializes in other Paradox converters: Imperator->CK3, Imperator->CK2, CK3->EU4, CK2->EU4, EU4->Vic3, EU4->Vic2, Vic3->HoI4, Vic2->HoI4, and others. It is not official, but it produces as accurate conversion as possible.

Q: I have an ironman save. Can it be converted?
A: Yes.

Q: What about mods?
A: Unless they change how cultures, religions or flags work, sure, use mods. Total map overhauls are not supported (of course), and whatever new cultures and religions are brought by the mod - you'll have to add manually in the files in configurables folder.

Q: How can I customize my game after converting?
A: Use the guide in after_converting.txt in the converter subdirectory. Scan through configurables/ folder and look into the myriad of configuration files - a great majority of these files is intended to be modified by users to achieve specific conversion results.

Q: Is linux supported?
A: The converter does compile on Linux, and you need to compile it from source it to run it. Clone the github repository + all submodules, and run build_linux.sh. If you already have ImageMagick 7 installed, delete relevant commands from the script. Also you'll need to export LD_PATH for the imagemagick libs so the converter can find them. You may need to export the path even when compiling and installing ImageMagick from source.

Q: Is OSX supported?
A: No, none of the developers has a Mac and we cannot do a port. If you have experience in coding and are willing to help us, we're always interested.

Q: I have found errors / bugs / glitches / wrong provinces / culture mismaps / religion mismaps / broken names /...
This is good! We need user input to see where we mapped stuff wrong. Please report any bugs on this thread. When reporting upload your ck3 save, converter's log.txt and describe in detail what is wrong. Screenshots always help. We fix user reported bugs as priority.

Q: I want to help!
We always need help. Not only for this converter, but all others. As they share the same pool of developers we're often stretched thin. We need experienced coders, with working knowledge of C++ and git. We also need modders willing to scour through our mapping files, verify the events, triggers, general data files and so on. If you think you could contribute, please visit our development thread and say hello.

Quick Troubleshooting

Q: The generated mod was in a different language than my savegame.
A: At the moment, CK2ToEU4 only guarantees english localisation, but german, french and spanish are nominally supported.

Q: Some/all country names appear as X25, FRA etc.
A: This is an issue with the localisation. Only english is guaranteed, and you may be running EU4 in some other localization. Also, CK3 often lacks named and adjectives for various titles in non-english languages. We try to use english localisation when this happens.

Q: I loaded my mod, but nothing changed. What's wrong?
A: Is the mod enabled in the launcher? If so, then EU4 refused to load it due to possible errors. Come to PDX forums and upload your save, log.txt and errors.txt so we may debug.

Q: The country crashes upon selecting a country and pressing play (at map selection)
A: Upload your save, log.txt and errors.txt to PDX forums for further study.

Q: The game forbids me to select nations.
A: Upload your save, log.txt and errors.txt to PDX forums for further study.

Support the Converters

Last edited:
  • 16Like
  • 16Love
Reactions:
Nothing is built yet, but feel free to hype.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I have little to no experience of previous converters, having pretty much only played EU:III and EU:IV throughout my "Paradox career", however I have picked up CK3 and am enjoying it.

Two questions:
* Will my EU:IV be dependent on specific DLCs?
* Will I be required to run EU:IV to the latest version? I froze my EU:IV game after a DLC (can't remember which) a pretty long time ago, and am still running that perhaps two-year-old version of the game.

I have little to no experience of previous converters, having pretty much only played EU:III and EU:IV throughout my "Paradox career", however I have picked up CK3 and am enjoying it.

Two questions:
* Will my EU:IV be dependent on specific DLCs?
* Will I be required to run EU:IV to the latest version? I froze my EU:IV game after a DLC (can't remember which) a pretty long time ago, and am still running that perhaps two-year-old version of the game.
DLCs are optional, we require none.
Latest EU4 version, however, is not. We cannot support multiple versions as they are radically different. Latest CK3 version will also always be required.

Reactions:
Isn't religion irrelevant in vic2 other than showing up on pop statistics?
That's about right. Balkanizing religions further would lead to smaller pop stacks, affecting army recruitment etc. We'll probably just dump entire families as before into a single religion.

Just curious, what's the current plan on how to handle faiths generally? Like, as I understand it* you can make your own, for instance, Christian heresy - and then eventually have that be the dominant form of Christianity. How will that port over into EU4?
Really looking forward to making use of this! SO HYPE!

*Disclaimer: I haven't actually had a chance to play CK3 yet, because my birthday is this Thursday and it just made more since to wait for that, so I'm going off what I see in the wiki and other folks playthroughs here.

Just curious, what's the current plan on how to handle faiths generally? Like, as I understand it* you can make your own, for instance, Christian heresy - and then eventually have that be the dominant form of Christianity. How will that port over into EU4?
Really looking forward to making use of this! SO HYPE!

*Disclaimer: I haven't actually had a chance to play CK3 yet, because my birthday is this Thursday and it just made more since to wait for that, so I'm going off what I see in the wiki and other folks playthroughs here.
We intend to craft religions out of their constituent components. All religions. If your catolicism suddenly decides popes are no longer necessary, then popes won't be a thing.
That's the theory. We'll see in practice how this works.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I am planning to start a megacampaign, so can I start playing now and convert when the converter comes out or will I have to wait until the converter is out and then start?
I'm not sure how converter status affects your gaming habits. You can play a game to finish and then wait for the converter.