• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Preface

Chac1

Colonel
16 Badges
Oct 22, 2022
thetarnck2.blog
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
Preface: Lost Seasons of the Danes

Warning to Readers: This is the author’s first attempt at an AAR and it is not what it may seem at the start. It began as a game-play AAR with a narrative approach focused on the Vendel Era Norse Petty Kingdom of Sjælland. This was a rather typical AAR until… then it wasn’t. Now, it takes a rather unconventional approach that incorporates elements of graphic novels. This experimentation is not for everyone. Be forewarned. Congratulations, if you can cope with the narrative shifts and evolution. But for those who stick with it through the transitions, you will be rewarded as evidenced by the recommendations you can read later on this contents page. Please, also see the Author's Note below for more reading advice. Thanks for reading.

Here is an edited version of the original preface posted in May of 2023:

Although your humble author has thousands of hours playing Crusader Kings II, this is the first venture into the Forums and an attempt at an AAR. So please have some kindness and understanding. This is also a first attempt at playing a Viking campaign, which it seems the whole world was playing six years ago. Also, another first: a first attempt at playing the 3.3.5.1 version, as older campaigns needed to be concluded first.

This AAR will be a mix of narrative with some game elements mentioned. The narrative will follow House Skjöldung, which traces its royal lineage back through the Sagas. The now lost Skjöldunga Saga supposedly tells the story of how the Norse gods deemed House Skjöldung worthy and appointed them the royal stewards of Sjælland. The narrative will follow from the 769 C.E. start date with the legendary King Harald "Wartooth" Skjöldung, now in his late 70's, ruling the Petty Kingdom of Sjælland. (Game play began in real time on May 1, 2023.)

Although this is not a truly interactive AAR, the author is open to suggestions and thoughts from the community. Our moderator Qorten has given permission of a mention that you can read more details about this AAR on an outside blog called The Tårn. (Thank you, Qorten!) This story will give a new version of how the Skjöldunga Saga might have unfolded from a modern perspective. (The longer and more detailed version will be posted externally.) There is hope you will find this shorter version entertaining, nonetheless.

Lost Seasons of the Danes Commencing Soon!

_cab06076-b2da-4432-8fef-014807a8ea55.jpg

Author's Note: To those looking for a quick start to the action, you might try jumping to Chapter III and then working back to the earlier chapters for reference, if necessary. Or you might try reading just Appendix A, the 12-part story of the Great Blót of 790 C.E.

Contents

Chapter I: The Legendary and Mythical
Chapter II: Fulfilling the Dreams of the Father
Chapter III:
Intrigues at the Birth of a Nation
Preface Chapter IV: Who Killed King Hrœrekr II?
Chapter IV: Conquest and Treachery
Chapter V: Plots and Vengeance

Preface Chapter VI: Suspects in the Murder
Chapter VI: Learning the Art of Politics
Chapter VII: Rumors and Mischief
Chapter VIII: A Royal Wedding
Chapter IX: New Plotters and Old
Epilogue Chapter IX: The Suspect Board
Chapter X: The Holmgang of 789
Chapter XI: Stumbling Forward
Appendix A1: The Great Blót of 790 (Ritual)
Appendix A2: The Great Blót of 790 (Listening in the Dark)
Appendix A3: The Great Blót of 790 (Hidden Alliances)
Appendix A4: The Great Blót of 790 (Surprises and Confusion)
Appendix A5: The Great Blót of 790 (Spies with a Corpse)
Appendix A6: The Great Blót of 790 (Plots and Suspects)
Appendix A7: The Great Blót of 790 (Of Bonds and Loyalties)
Appendix A8: The Great Blót of 790 (Spy Hunt) (Parts may be NSFW)
Appendix A9: The Great Blót of 790 (Revelations) (Parts contain graphic violence)
Interlude: The Missing Jul Chapter
Appendix A10: The Great Blót of 790 (Alfr’s Dream) (One brief part NSFW)
Appendix A11: The Great Blót of 790 (Of Flowers and Conspiracies)
Appendix A12: The Great Blót of 790 (A Religious Turn) (Contains coarse adult language)
Chapter XII: Kraka the Concubine (Parts are NSFW + discussions of violence & self-harm)
Chapter XIII: The High Council Meeting (Contains coarse adult language & discussions of sexual practices)
Chapter XIV: The Mid-day Gathering (Contains coarse adult language)
Chapter XV: Irmgard's Plot (Contains coarse adult language)
Chapter XVI: Searching for Answers in Alcolea (Contains coarse adult language)

Soundtrack

LyrePlayer.png

"Laukr" by Wardruna
"Heimdallr" by Munknörr
"Ragnakamp" by Danheim
"Traust" by Heilung
"Thurisaz" by Munknörr
"Skoldborg" by Danheim
"Heljarför" by Danheim
"Eikthyrnir" by Munknörr

"Anoana" by Heilung
"Vindöld" by Danheim
"Bóndi" by Eolya
"Asablót" by Danheim
"Blotjarl" by Danheim
"Skovblót" by Danheim
"Blodfest" by Danheim and Heldom
"Vetrnátta Blot" by Danheim
"Hefja Blót" by Danheim
"Trøllabundin" by Eivor Palsdottir
"Hoar Frost" by A Tergo Lupi
"Kvervandi" by
Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik
"Deyja" by Munknörr
"
Fimbulvetr" by SKÁLD
"Heal the Tree" by A Tergo Lupi
"Nikkal" by Heilung
"Rún" by SKÁLD
“Myrkviðr” by Danheim
"Flúga" by SKÁLD
"
Myrkviðr" by Gealdýr
“Lamma Bada (Arab-Andalusian Traditional)” by Ensemble Constantinopla

Full Soundtrack Now Available as a
Playlist.

Recommendations

@The Kingmaker: “Well done so far…. a stirring yarn…. What has really made it compelling… is the transition from courtly intrigue and territorial squabbles to a proper Viking Age murder mystery.”

@Midnite Duke : “The wonderful illustrations give the AAR a graphic novel vibe.”

@Bullfilter : “...enjoy the graphic novel-like presentation, illustration and characterisation of this excellent story! You’ve really done something different with this tale, in terms of both subject and presentation. The dialogue is always really well handled.”

Read the full review of this AAR from @HistoryDude in HistoryDude's Review Corner.

Accolades

2023 Q4 AARland Choice Awards (ACAs) - Feb. 9, 2024 for top Crusader Kings II AAR
SilverCup.png

PyreLostSeasons.jpg

Writer of the Week - Dec. 4, 2023 for the Lost Seasons of the Danes AAR
WriterofWeek.png

ThoroflrBlue.png
Best Character Writer of the Week - Feb. 5, 2024 for the portrayal of King Þorolfr of Denmark
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 11.35.04 PM.png

ᛚᛟᛋᛏ ᛋᛖᚨᛋᛟᚾᛋ ᛟᚠ ᛏᚺᛖ ᛞᚨᚾᛖᛋ
Lost Seasons of the Danes

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Good luck with this and welcome to the forums!

Reactions:
Good luck with this and welcome to the forums!
Thanks, Bullfilter. I have been reading your AAR Blood and Empire: A Clash of Civilisations, and I have certainly found some inspiration there. Thanks again for your support and I hope I can do at least half as well!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks, Bullfilter. I have been reading your AAR Blood and Empire: A Clash of Civilisations, and I have certainly found some inspiration there. Thanks again for your support and I hope I can do at least half as well!
Well, thanks for that! If you want the original (first part) of the AAR Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga takes it right through from the original 867AD start, but that started back in 2017 and is a pretty long read :eek:. I'll be following this one with interest - and hoping your protagonists stick to the Old Gods ;) :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, thanks for that! If you want the original (first part) of the AAR Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga takes it right through from the original 867AD start, but that started back in 2017 and is a pretty long read :eek:. I'll be following this one with interest - and hoping your protagonists stick to the Old Gods ;) :D
Yes, I am inclined to want them to follow the Old Gods. Thanks for the suggestion. Seems I have more reading to do.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to the forums! I'm always interested in more AARs!

I'll probably check out that link too.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
King Harald "Wartooth"

(Partial Reign 769-774)

King Harald Wartooth as he appears at court.

(King Harald "Wartooth" Skjöldung)

The full "Lost Seasons of the Danes" Soundtrack can be heard here.
This chapter of House Skjöldung begins with an ending: the end of an era of rule by King Harald "Wartooth" Skjöldung. When the game opens in 769, Harald is in his late 70's. He still has the mind of a great general but he's rather feeble for a warrior-king. Actually, Harald is a semi-mythical and legendary king – a real historical figure although many of the facts of his life are debatable given the accuracy of the historic record. You can find his life discussed in the Norse Sagas. The Sagas also discuss how he mismanaged his kingdom as he aged. And they note he went riding into battle in a chariot at the age of 150! Realistically, that's not going to happen, even in this game. As the game opens, Harald has ruled for 40 years, controlling parts of what is modern Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and northern Germany (Saxony). But his influence doesn't nearly match any of the hyperbole you will find in various Sagas, not to mention the competition he has from a band of other petty kingdom holders in Sweden.

ck2_2.png

(The Petty Kingdom of Sjælland, circa 769 C.E.)

King Harald Wartooth dressed for battle.

(King Harald "Wartooth" Skjöldung in battle dress.)
Harald's short five years read like a preface rather than a full blown chapter of House Skjöldung's legend. Some sources say the historic lineage of this house includes not only Danish kings, but kings who would rule Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Saxony. Also, the family is mentioned in an Anglicized way in Beowulf as the Scyldings. (More details on this history and King Harald in the Sagas can be found on The Tårn.)

King Harald Wartooth as created by an AI image generator.

(This is an AI rendering of King Harald "Wartooth" Skjöldung via Bing.)

Harald's biggest issue is succession. He has two sons and his first-born favorite isn't popular with his council of chiefs. The popular son barely shows an aptitude for the military life and nothing much else, while the king's favorite shows a bit more prowess in the areas of military intelligence and spying. (Both sons are barely footnotes in the Sagas.) While the king is politicking for his favorite (and not gaining much traction) he successfully conquers one Norwegian province, forces one Swedish petty king to pay him tribute, raids some of his other neighbors, gets into a fight at a party, and finally dies of stress while directing a siege in western Noregr (Norway). So the game only captures the last years of a 45-year rule. (King Harald, we hardly knew ye!)

Sjælland at the end of Harald's Rule 774 C.E.

Sjaelland774.png

KingHaraldWartoothDies.jpg

Notably, this ending changes the somewhat murky history of the 8th Century A.D. The Norse Sagas have King Harald dying at the legendary (and most historians say completely mythical) Battle of Bråvalla. Some say that battle is an analogy for the geopolitical shift that made Sweden more of the aggressive driver at the beginning of the Viking Age. Regardless, the competition between Sweden and Denmark is certainly on a course toward greater conflict, especially with King Harald's passing.

*Note: This post was edited later to add a soundtrack.

Lost Seasons of the Danes

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
That epitaph was a bit harsh given the OTL legend “Never having succeeded in making a name for himself”! :D The great Harald Wartooth dissed by a game engine! Prologue done, we’ll see if the Clausewitz engine is kinder to his successors.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
King Harald has begun the process of creating a new state. Let's see if his successors can finish it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That epitaph was a bit harsh given the OTL legend “Never having succeeded in making a name for himself”! :D The great Harald Wartooth dissed by a game engine! Prologue done, we’ll see if the Clausewitz engine is kinder to his successors.
Indeed!
(Although I have to ask in this context, does OTL mean One True Leader?)

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to the forums! Wonderful start. Death/succession page can be very irrelevant to a leader's life. I have 2K hours and I think that I can count my leaders that reached eighty on one hand and that includes one that was eighty when elected. Thank you for a new AAR for me to enjoy.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Indeed!
(Although I have to ask in this context, does OTL mean One True Leader?)

In general AH/Paradox Forums terminology, it means either Our Timeline or Original Timeline.

Reactions:
Welcome to the forums! Wonderful start. Death/succession page can be very irrelevant to a leader's life. I have 2K hours and I think that I can count my leaders that reached eighty on one hand and that includes one that was eighty when elected. Thank you for a new AAR for me to enjoy.
Thank you for visiting Midnite Duke! Have been reading your advice and comments for some time before posting. In this case, the game handed me this legendary king already aged up to 79 years old. Yes, extremely rare to get a ruler this old, and as proven here, difficult to hold on to him. In my last play-through (House Cantabria of Asturias) I had one king who reigned for 60 years but that is so rare unless you are playing with supernatural events approved for your game.

Reactions:
In general AH/Paradox Forums terminology, it means either Our Timeline or Original Timeline.
Thanks for that translation HistoryDude. King Harald is definitely from the Original Timeline or Original Historic Timeline. In today's parlance he's the OG for all who follow him in House Skjöldung.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter II: Fulfilling the Dreams of the Father
Chapter II
Fulfilling the Dreams of the Father
(King Hrœrekr II’s Partial Reign 774-780)

The full "Lost Seasons of the Danes" Soundtrack can be heard here.

1685980293852.png

The Challenges of King Hrœrekr II

With the death of the legendary and mythical King Harald “Wartooth” Skjöldung, his second son Hrœrekr II was elected by the council to become the king of the Petty Kingdom of Sjælland. But The Wartooth’s first-born son Þrándr, as was his right at The Wartooth’s death, took his inheritance of two provinces and became an independent ruler. Although The Wartooth had expanded the kingdom’s holdings and influence, after the effects of the elective gavelkind law, the petty kingdom of Sjælland was now smaller than it had been in decades.

1685980294078.png
(Although it may be difficult to see with this map, Þrándr Skjöldung has cleaved off Rygjafylki and Slesvig as independent provinces under his rule.)

However, the new king managed ably to win the siege and take Hordaland, making the losses a bit less than what they might have been. (The Wartooth had died just as the siege was beginning. Planning that siege was King Harald's last act.) Although The Wartooth had judged his second son as definitely the lesser of his progeny, and his first-born Þrándr had always been the legendary king’s favorite, Hrœrekr had become a more than competent general (although he was still no match for Harald as a field general, even when Harald was in his 80's). Hrœrekr was more of a strategist rather than a tactician and he liked to lead from a tent or a hilltop rather than the front lines.

After listening to his father’s ideas in his final years, Hrœrekr adopted much of his father’s strategy, something The Wartooth might not have expected and had never fully realized. (Amazingly, this strategy is laid out in the Norse Sagas.) Like his father, Hrœrekr knew King Sigurd “Ring” af Munsö the ruler of the Petty Kingdom of Svíþjóð would be his biggest challenger in the region. With the death of The Wartooth, King Sigurd was now the best general in all of the Scandinavian region and he had an eye for acquiring more land and titles.

1685980294151.png
(King Sigurd “Ring” af Munsö the ruler of the Petty Kingdom of Svíþjóð, along with his wife, Queen Vigdis and heir apparent Ragnar "Loðbrok.”)

Treachery and Revenge

Not long after he became king, Hrœrekr received the news from his spymaster that his brother was plotting to kill him. He sent a request with his spymaster to have his brother end the plot, which Þrándr agreed to do after the plot had been discovered. But this set Hrœrekr on the path to consolidate his own power with his council and then wrest back the lands the kingdom lost when The Wartooth had died. Even though his brother said the plot had been ended, Hrœrekr could not trust him and thus taking back the lost lands became the first step on his strategic path. After 18 months of waiting, Hrœrekr moved against his brother Þrándr. The weight of Sjælland’s forces was too much and Þrándr yielded; Hrœrekr took his land and his titles.

1685980294211.png
(King Hrœrekr II restores Sjælland’s lost holdings and advances the realm beyond the borders claimed by his father King Harald “Wartooth.”)

The King’s Tangled Relationships

When Hrœrekr became king he was already in his early 40’s, married to his second wife, and also possessing a concubine. Beyond that, he had been carrying on a years-long affair with Gydja Asa of Lund, a fellow member of the Ulfheðnar, the Norse wolf warriors. His wife, Queen Irmgard would discover the affair, and the king agreed to stop seeing Asa. But less than a month later, he couldn’t contain himself any longer, as he was often overcome by his lusty urges, and he took up another affair with the serving woman known as Astrid. Beyond those entanglements, the king discovered his concubine Kraka was sleeping with a member of his council, his field marshal. When Kraka gave birth to the field marshal’s child, the king decided it was best to rid himself of one more complication and he sent Kraka off to the field marshal to become his concubine.

Untangling all of these household dramas and connections is important for King Hrœrekr because he suffers from stress, the very ailment that killed his father The Wartooth. Now, The Wartooth died at 84, and his son was just over half that, but still, care had to be maintained.

Eventually, after a few years, Queen Irmgard discovered his latest affair with Astrid.

1685980294283.png

(King Hrœrekr faces the wrath of Queen Irmgard, but he refuses to end the affair with Astrid, the love of his life.)

At this point, the king has four sons, which will undoubtedly cause succession issues in the future. His sons included: Þorolfr (a 20-year-old who showed little aptitude for anything); Magni (who was rather stunted as a young child but who was now learning after a slow start); Eysteinn; and Raudúlfr. Þorolfr’s mother was the king’s first wife who had died of the great pox. Magni was the son of Kraka, his now former concubine. Queen Irmgard was the mother of Eysteinn and Raudúlfr. (Astrid had three children at this time, but one of them, Ingfrid, was likely the king’s daughter, although this was kept secret, of course.)

The Strategy of King Hrœrekr II

Back on the military front, the king’s grand plan would roll out each post-thaw campaigning season. Sjælland’s first target would be one of the Geatish petty kings, King Högne Ulfing of Västergötland. King Högne, who was a teenager, led his troops valiantly but he took a wound to his head from a war hammer and he would live out his days as a bed-ridden dullard who was barely able to see. With victory, Sjælland and Hrœrekr forced an alliance upon Västergötland and made them pay tribute.

The next year, in 776 C.E., Hrœrekr fought to make Vingulsmark his own. The ruler of Vingulsmark Chief Alfr af Alfheim had just lost a province to King Sigurd's aggressive expansion. Low on resources and men, Chief Alfr surrendered and became a vassal to King Hrœrekr rather than fight onward.

In the spring of 778, after building up his forces, Hrœrekr moved against King Hjörvardr “The Cruel” of House Ulfing (Högne’s father) who ruled the Petty Kingdom of Östergötland. For this war, Hrœrekr’s steward had recruited hundreds of foreign fighters from around Scandinavia and the Baltic region to gain renown as part of the Danish campaigns. The short campaign against Hjörvardr again ended with this Geatish petty king paying tribute and pledging to be a loyal ally.

The Great Danish-Geatish Conflict

Infused by the recruitment of foreign troops, Hrœrekr judged that Sjælland was now at the peak of its power and ready to take on King Sigurd “Ring.” He called in the troops of the Geatish petty kings and his own vassals to force his claim on the Petty Kingdom of Svíþjóð.

Although he fought fearlessly, Sigurd was outmaneuvered and outnumbered from the start. Using the momentum of the war against Östergötland, the Danes rolled across the various provinces held by Svíþjóð in Greater Sweden. This was the longest war fought by King Hrœrekr: 15 months of attrition with Sigurd on his heels almost the entire time. At the end, Sigurd tried a desperation move of sending his troops to siege Hrœrekr’s capital holding in Sjælland as the king was away laying a siege in Ångermanland. With that Swedish holding surrendering, word carried forth that the Danes had won their conquest not in a single battle but in a brilliant campaign. Sigurd was never able to successfully call all of his allies to war and so Hrœrekr’s calculus had been correct that he would outnumber the Geatish warrior-king in almost every instance.

1685980294418.png

(King Hrœrekr II annexes Svíþjóð, taking advantage of the aggressive territorial gains of his cousin King Sigurd “Ring.”)

With Sigurd becoming a vassal of King Hrœrekr, Sjælland’s holdings stretched from parts of Lapland in the north to Slesvig in the south and from Norway’s North Sea coast in the west to parts of Finland in the east. The Geatish kings of House Ulfing were not controlled by Sjælland, but they paid annual tribute and were able allies to the Danish cause.

And so, after five years of ruling, Hrœrekr had achieved what his father could not. He controlled vast lands across Scandinavia and all the Swedish petty kings who had not become his vassals now paid him tribute. His reputation attracted foreign fighters who wanted part of the glory of fighting for Sjælland. This would no doubt be his greatest military achievement, and the king was not only happy and proud but he thought his father would begrudgingly offer him credit too.

*Note: This post was edited later to add a soundtrack.

(More from Lost Seasons of the Danes coming in ten days or so.)

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Hrœrekr moved against his brother Þrándr. The weight of Sjælland’s forces is too much and Þrándr yields; Hrœrekr takes his land and his titles.
It had to happen: the realm must be United and brotherly treason stamped out. Was Þrándr executed, imprisoned, exiled or just left to wander landless?
And so, after five years of ruling, Hrœrekr had achieved what his father could not. He controlled vast lands across Scandinavia and all the Swedish petty kings who had not become his vassals now paid him tribute.
A springboard for greater glory.

• 2Like
Reactions: