• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction and Table of Contents

The Kingmaker

AlexanderPrimus
80 Badges
Feb 23, 2008
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • For The Glory
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
ch9I3s9.png

“The past is never dead. It’s not even past.” - William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun

INTRODUCTION

The United States is a nation founded on high-minded ideals, but its short history has been cruel, brutal, and patently unjust at least as often as it has been inspiring. To that end, I’ve been pondering an unusual alternate history scenario ever since Victoria 3 came out.

This story is about how differently history could have played out with only a few relatively modest points of departure, namely the survival of three flawed, backcountry men who died before their time. These three men are:

• Nimrod Wildfire
• Squire Cook
• Shubel Morgan

In our timeline, one died in the 1830s, another in the 1840s, and the third in the 1850s. One fell in battle, one was murdered, and one was executed. Although their names may be unfamiliar to the modern eye, each of these individuals had a considerable impact on the destiny of their nation.

This story will be updated sporadically as my “writer’s block AAR.” The format will be a hybrid of narrative and history book, with occasional gameplay elements. As with my primary AAR, Omentide, from time to time I will use narrative constructs to try to explain unusual in-game quirks, making it a combination of in-game events and my internal “head-canon.” It will feature motion picture stills and a soundtrack just like my other AARs.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Book 1: Antebellum

XUDn9L1.png

Andrew Jackson (1829- )

"Old Hickory"

Prologue: The Night the Stars Fell
Faction Review: The Union in 1834
Chapter 1: The Folk Hero

SOUNDTRACK

Sundered Nation Main Theme
The Night the Stars Fell
The Union
Nimrod Wildfire

ACCOLADES

ACA
Favorite Victoria III AAR - Q3 2023

"[The Kingmaker] really did a nice set-up here, got me quite hooked. Even more so after
finding some information on [his] trio of characters."
- @Apelstav

"I thought I was reading actual history." - @Forster

q6NXVVT.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
1.0 - Prologue: The Night the Stars Fell
PROLOGUE: THE NIGHT THE STARS FELL

dHmvcES.jpg

“A single ray of light from a distant star falling upon the eye of a tyrant in bygone times may have altered the course of his life, may have changed the destiny of nations, may have transformed the surface of the globe, so intricate, so inconceivably complex are the processes in nature.” - Nikola Tesla

Music: The Night the Stars Fell

November 12, 1833
North America

It is exceedingly rare that great changes in the tides of history can be traced to a single moment. Some scholars speak of the Zeitgeist, various sociopolitical movements, or gradual changes in culture. But sometimes the waves of destiny come at you in a rush, knocking you off your feet, taking your breath away, and leaving you forever changed.

So it was in North America on one chilly autumn evening in 1833, which would be remembered for generations afterward as “the night the stars fell.” It was unlike anything anyone had ever seen before. Eyewitnesses in the Midwest described it variously as “showers of fiery rain falling to the ground,” and “the grandest and most sublime sight eye ever beheld.” Another added that “sometimes the shower would slacken for a moment or so, and then it would renew until the very heavens seemed to be ablaze.”

An Irish astronomer named Agnes Clerke recorded that “the sky was scored in every direction with shining tracks and illuminated with majestic fireballs. At Boston, the frequency of meteors was estimated to be about half that of flakes of snow in an average snowstorm. Their numbers... were quite beyond counting.”

Virtually all of the great American luminaries of the nineteenth century witnessed the fiery portents in the sky, with all who saw them strongly influenced by the experience for years afterward. The Cheyenne took it as a sign to establish a long-awaited peace treaty. Pricked by guilty consciences, slave owners in the Deep South thought it was the day of judgment and gathered their slaves together to tell them who their parents were and where they had been sold. The Lakota reset their calendar and subsequent generations recorded their birthdays by hearkening back to that night. New England astronomers and scientists scrambled to record as many details as they could yet were still stymied by the sheer unmeasurable volume of falling stars.

On the banks of the Mississippi River, a certain weary traveler who was already being lampooned by some as “Nimrod Wildfire” was amazed to see the stars fall from the heavens. He had made his way to a little Tennessee town to visit a friend, only to be completely overtaken by the majestic meteor storm. “Sweet, merciful Lord of glory!” was all he could manage to say, his voice barely above a whisper. His friend would later recount that it was the only time he had observed the famous folk hero to be struck speechless.

sJicvhe.png

Driven from their homes and strewn out across the prairie along a trail of tears, the Choctaw saw the falling stars as an omen from the Great Spirit. White-haired sages bemoaned their separation from the graves of their ancestors while the women wailed and the children wept in confusion and terror. One wise, old shaman lamented, “In those pines you hear the ghosts of the departed. Their ashes are here, and we have been left to protect them. Our warriors are nearly all gone to the far country west but here are our dead. Shall we go, too, and give their bones to the wolves?”

In Maryland, an eleven-year-old slave girl named Minty Ross and her elder brother were secretly visiting their mother on a nearby plantation on the night the stars fell. Her brother served as lookout while Minty visited with her mother in her small cabin, until the young man shouted that the stars were “all shooting whichaway!” Minty’s family was terrified and thought the world was coming to an end, but her eyes were drawn to the North Star, which remained fixed and immovable throughout. In later years, she would remember to always follow that star as she led others to freedom.

In a charming little town in Ohio, the visionary who would soon be compelled to take on the pseudonym of “Squire Cook” stood at his front door and watched the stars fall all around like a shower of hailstones. Although he had anticipated this portentous event a few weeks prior, he was awestruck at its splendor just the same. “How marvelous are Thy works, O Lord!” he exclaimed in wonder, “Save me in Thy kingdom, for Christ’s sake!”

In a frontier village in Illinois, a young railsplitter named Abraham Lincoln was roused from slumber by his landlord shouting that the day of judgment had come. Rushing to his bedroom window, he saw great showers of falling stars. Reminiscing on this experience gave him great confidence in the midst of dire times in the not-too-distant future. “Looking back… I saw all the grand old constellations with which I was so well acquainted, fixed and true in their places… The world did not come to an end then, nor will [it] now.”

3fNKVkx.jpg

Another young Maryland slave named Frederick Bailey recalled that “the air seemed filled with bright descending messengers from the sky… I had read that the ‘stars shall fall from heaven,’ and they were now falling. I was suffering very much in my mind. It did seem that every time the young tendrils of my affection became attached they were rudely broken by some unnatural outside power; and I was looking away to heaven for the rest denied me on earth.” From that moment, Frederick resolved to obtain his freedom at any cost.

A wiry tanner in an obscure Pennsylvania township who had not yet contemplated taking the nom de guerre of “Shubel Morgan” was making preparations for a nighttime venture. It was his usual custom to guide runaway slaves by moonlight to take refuge in a hidden room in his barn. On this portentous night, his efforts might have been bolstered by the light of a hundred thousand shooting stars, except their brightness was sufficient to dispel the protective, shadowy cloak of night. Although sorely tempted to marvel at the heavenly spectacle, the as-yet-unknown zealot sought instead to find another way to guide his charges to safety and freedom. “The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth,” he would later say.

Last of all, a teenaged printer’s apprentice in New York named Walter Whitman was so thunderstruck by the experience that he would later write, “the strange, huge meteor procession, dazzling and clear, shooting over our heads, a moment, a moment long, it sail'd its balls of unearthly light over our heads, then departed, dropt in the night, and was gone.”

***​

Author’s note: The spectacular Leonid meteor storm of 1833 ranks as one of the most dramatic atmospheric phenomena in recorded history. One observer estimated that the meteors fell at a staggering rate of 100,000 per hour at the peak of the storm, which lasted for nine hours in total. The meteor shower was observed across the North American continent by hundreds of thousands of people, most of whom had no idea what was taking place. Each of the eminent men and women mentioned above really did observe this event (although I was compelled to put words in the mouth of Nimrod Wildfire, as well as to provide narrative elements for Shubel Morgan, who did not record his thoughts on this occasion as far as I can tell). The popular song “Stars Fell on Alabama,” which has been sung by everyone from Ella Fitzgerald to Bob Dylan, is also based on this event. Given my fascination with the use of omens as narrative elements in fiction, it seemed only fitting to begin this tale of tumultuous upheaval with the grandest manifestation of the age.

q6NXVVT.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Finally you started this story! I remember you talkung about this intriguing idea months ago. Subbed!

• 1Love
Reactions:
An America AAR in this period sounds interesting. I might need to read up on these men.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@HistoryDude: Thank you very much for your support! I think with some digging you may find that all may not be as it seems with regard to these gentlemen. Please keep anything you discover under your hat for now. ;)

• 1Love
Reactions:
I liked how the wide variety of reactions to the event helps to establish America's culture at this time and gives a few bits of characterization for these people. Good job!

The imagery was very nice as well.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Nikolai: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting.

@Emissary of the Prophets: Thanks, I hoped the different experiences would help illustrate a little bit about both the setting and the characters. As for Lincoln, his beliefs do indeed seem to have developed and changed over the course of his life.

@HistoryDude: Thank you for the compliments! It's always nice to know when my writing has had the desired effect.

@Apelstav: Welcome aboard and thank you for commenting! If you're interested, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Omentide as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh, this should be interesting! I really like the setup.

I just recently finished an American campaign in Victoria 2 -- curious how it is to play in V3.

Also curious if we know who these people are, by another name...

Rensslaer

• 1Love
Reactions:
Also curious if we know who these people are, by another name...
Of the three in the OP, the first I found online. We know him... The second name came up naught. The third came up with another name, but the person is totally unknown to me.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Nikolai now that I've looked up the 3rd name I think you'll find it very interesting to learn more about this fellow. A firebrand to be sure! :)

Rensslaer

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Rensslaer: Welcome aboard and thanks for commenting! These three were indeed real people (with real pseudonyms). I hope you enjoy the story and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

@Nikolai: All three had very big personalities in their own unique way. They were also spectacularly divisive. People tended to either adore them or absolutely loathe them. You will soon see why. None of them left very much room for middle ground.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Faction Review: The Union in 1834
FACTION REVIEW: THE UNION IN 1834

wlzNrt2.jpg

“Your Union ought to be considered as a main prop of your liberty, and... the love of the one ought to
endear to you the preservation of the other.”
- George Washington, Farewell Address

Music: The Union

Official Name: The United States of America

Established: July 4, 1776 (de jure)

Capital City: Washington, D.C.

National Anthem: Hail Columbia (de facto)

National Motto: E pluribus unum (de facto)

In 1834, the United States is still just a fledgling republic, scarcely 58 years old. During its brief existence, the young nation has fought off colonial interlopers and unruly indigenous peoples alike, successfully held a dozen presidential elections, and nearly doubled its size through the Louisiana Purchase. In a single human lifetime, it has grown from a loose confederation of rebellious British colonies into a major continental power. Whether the Founding Fathers’ great experiment will continue to thrive or allow itself to be torn apart by external and internal conflicts remains to be seen.

LriURFr.png

SOCIETY

Population: approx. 14.5 million (including at least 2 million enslaved African-Americans and approx. 125,000 Native Americans, with a further 200,000 Native Americans estimated to live out west)

Total Land Area: 1,749,462 sq. mi.

Population Density: approx. 8 people per sq. mi.

Largest City: New York City (population: approx. 250,000)

Literacy Rate: approx. 75% of adult white males; approx. 50% of adult white females; approx. 10% of enslaved adult black males

Incorporated States: 24 (in order of admission: DE, PA, NJ, GA, CN, MA, MD, SC, NH, VA, NY, NC, RI, VT, KY, TN, OH, LA, IN, MS, IL, AL, ME, MO)

Territories: 6

*Michigan Territory (formed from the Missouri Territory in 1805)
*Arkansas Territory (formed from the Missouri Territory in 1819)
*Florida Territory (ceded by Spain effective 1821)
*Oregon Country (jointly occupied by both the U.S. and U.K. as of 1818, borders disputed)
*Indian Territory (to be formed midyear in 1834)
*Unorganized Territory (the remainder of the immense Louisiana Purchase acquired from France in 1803)

The narrow strip of territory occupied by the original thirteen colonies has grown exponentially in a relatively short span of time. The Louisiana Purchase of 1803 brought vast swathes of land into the United States’ nominal sphere of influence. However, the majority of this land remains populated by indigenous Native Americans rather than European colonists, as Lewis and Clark observed on their expedition. Given the oppressive actions which the Jackson administration has taken against the Native Americans who live within the 24 states of the Union, what attitude the U.S. government will take towards the tribes residing in the territories remains to be seen. Although trappers, fur traders, and mountain men do frequent the far west, large numbers of settlers have yet to follow the Oregon Trail westward. Missouri’s western border very much represents the nation’s frontier.

Domestically, much of the populace has been caught up in the religious fervor of the Second Great Awakening. The western half of New York is so ablaze with evangelical excitement that it has actually been nicknamed the “Burned-over District.” Subsequent movements supporting abolitionism, societal reform, and women’s rights have all found their genesis in this period of increased faith and fervency, as have several new religious movements.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of European immigrants continue to stream across the Atlantic to seek their fortunes in the New World. Thus far, the vast majority of these new arrivals have hailed from Britain, Ireland, the German Confederation, and France. These people often continue to hold to their original customs and beliefs in their new country. However, America is far from a land of opportunity for the more than two million enslaved people living in the South. Even free blacks are treated as second-class citizens at best. Although the U.S. Constitution does not restrict citizenship based on race, it only counts enslaved individuals as 3/5 of a person for the sake of official population metrics.

xamPWzu.jpg

POLITICS

Government: Federal Constitutional Republic

Major Political Parties:

*Federalists (the old party of John Adams and Alexander Hamilton, very much in decline, finally dissolved c. 1835)
*Democrats (founded in 1828 by supporters of Andrew Jackson from the vestiges of the old Jeffersonian Democratic-Republicans)
*Whigs (founded in 1833 in opposition to Jackson, still coalescing from other declining parties)
*National Republicans (founded in 1824 in support of John Quincy Adams, dissolved in 1834)
*Anti-Masons (founded in 1828 in opposition to the Freemasons, in slow decline)
*Nullifiers (short-lived party founded by John C. Calhoun in 1828, exclusive to South Carolina, essentially a faction of Democrats who believed states could nullify federal laws)

Current Officials:

President: Andrew Jackson (b. 1767, took office in 1829, Democrat, Tennessee)
Vice President: Martin Van Buren (b. 1782, took office in 1833, Democrat, New York)
Chief Justice: John Marshall (b. 1755, took office in 1801, Federalist, Virginia)
Speaker of the House: Andrew Stevenson (b. 1784, took office in 1827, Democrat, Virginia)

Eminent Senators:

Henry Clay (b. 1777, took office in 1831, Whig, Kentucky)
John C. Calhoun (b. 1782, took office in 1832, Nullifier/Democrat, South Carolina)
Daniel Webster (b. 1782, took office in 1827, Whig, Massachusetts)

The political situation in the United States has undergone a major paradigm shift since its early days. Those who had previously supported the well-educated Jeffersonian elites of the old Democratic-Republican party have been co-opted by the populist Jacksonian Democrats, putting the final nail in the coffin of the so-called Era of Good Feelings. In opposition to them, various anti-Jacksonian movements led by Senators Clay and Webster have coalesced into the new Whig party, which is just a year old. Meanwhile, the South Carolinian Democrats led by Senator Calhoun have temporarily broken off in response to the recent Nullification Crisis. These three statesmen (Clay, Calhoun, and Webster) are known collectively as the Great Triumvirate because of their shared dominance of the American political scene.

President Jackson himself is something of a maverick. He has swiftly established a reputation as an irascible and obstinate egotist. Orphaned at a young age, Jackson portrays himself as a political outsider and a lowborn man of the people, his considerable wealth notwithstanding. His most controversial position by far concerns the fate of the Native Americans. The Indian Removal Act of 1830 authorized the President to enforce the removal of several tribes from their ancestral homelands, despite a Supreme Court ruling in Worcester v. Georgia (1832) that favored the Native Americans. In defiance of the court, Jackson has already commenced this devastating relocation, which will come to be known as the Trail of Tears.

Even so, slavery remains the hot button issue of the day, with the South very much in favor and the North generally opposed to it. The transatlantic slave trade itself was banned in 1808, but that has only increased the value of those who are already enslaved. The Missouri Compromise of 1820 allowed the deferral of the issue by permitting the admittance of Missouri to the Union as a slave state, but prohibiting any further slave states north of the 36°30′ parallel. Southern slaveholders continue to strongly support the deplorable institution in Congress, while the abolitionist movement vehemently opposes them. This wildly disputed ethical and societal conundrum will most assuredly continue to resurface.

The nation’s foreign policy is succinctly stated in the Monroe Doctrine (first articulated in 1823), which outlines non-interference with existing colonies, but staunch opposition to either the founding of new colonies or European interference with any of the newly independent nations of the Americas. The U.S. has major diplomatic connections with both Britain and France, who are their primary trading partners and their most supportive allies, as well as their most implacable enemies, depending on the political climate at any given time.

M3II86Y.jpg

ECONOMY

Currency: U.S. Dollar (value equivalent to approx. 14 g of fine silver or 1.5 g of fine gold)

Nominal GDP: approx. $1.2 billion (approx. $20 billion in modern USD)

Nominal GDP per capita: $84.05 (approx. $2,800 in modern USD)

America’s economy is booming. The Industrial Revolution is in full sway in the North, with more factories, iron foundries, and textile mills constructed with each passing year. New improvements in infrastructure such as the Erie Canal have further stimulated economic growth. German-born investor John Jacob Astor has become the richest man in the nation after leveraging the sizable fortune he made from fur trading and opium smuggling to become the most influential real estate mogul in the rapidly-expanding metropolis of New York City.

Meanwhile, Eli Whitney’s cotton gin has vastly expanded the profitability of plantation agriculture in the South, ensuring its place as the foundation of their economy, but also increasing their heavy reliance on slave labor. Despite the flourishing economy, the Whigs and Jacksonian Democrats are presently engaged in a vicious “Bank War” concerning whether to maintain the current federal bank, with President Jackson seeking to abolish it outright. This may have disastrous repercussions in the near future.

iegZc1a.png

MILITARY

General-in-Chief: Major General Alexander Macomb (b. 1782, took office in 1828)

Army: approx. 7,000 regulars, a further 20,000 militia and volunteers estimated to be readily available

Navy: 35 vessels (12 ships of the line, 13 frigates, 14 sloops-of-war, and 6 schooners; half of these vessels are either under construction or in need of major repairs)

Naval Personnel: approx. 6,000 seamen, officers, and staff

Marine Corps: approx. 1,200 marines and officers

The Union has already fought a dozen wars during its brief lifespan. Their erstwhile enemies have included the British, the French, the Barbary Corsairs, and the Cherokee, Creek, Shawnee, Seminole, and other Native American tribes. Most of the country’s unusually small regular army is stationed in border forts along its vast frontiers. In times of war, the regular army is supplemented by recruiting thousands of volunteers. President Jackson is now contemplating mobilizing the military to enforce the Indian Removal Act to evict the Cherokee from their tribal lands.

The country’s tiny navy has no admirals and is administered directly by the Secretary of the Navy. Six naval yards are currently in operation, allowing the nation to expand its naval forces in exigent circumstances. The navy has primarily been involved in protecting U.S. commerce in the Mediterranean Sea, in the West Indies, on the coast of Brazil, and in the Pacific Ocean. Their main tasks are protecting trade convoys and fending off the many privateers and pirates that still frequent international waters.

q6NXVVT.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Humongous update, Batman! :eek: Very interesting and clearly well researched!

• 1Love
Reactions: