• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks again, everyone.

AAR-wise, unexpectedly my first recommendation is ANSGAAR Reborn. The third (I think?) in a series of CKII succession AARs, their semi-randomised format guarantees that they don't fall prey to the staleness that sometimes plagues conventional AARs in the lategame, and allows for a highly enjoyable variety in writing styles. It also reliably produces an interesting and unusual world - the current one featuring Manicheans, Mazdans, and lately undying Picts.

Another AAR I recommend is An Alternate World War II by @MacGowan . A realtime AAR that has been going on for a little over two years now, MacGowan's excellent writing and high level of detail very much bring it to life, and I don't think I've ever been as invested in an AAR before. The relatively slow place has also allowed for some very involved discussion and analysis between the weekly posts by its readers.

I also heartily recommend Talking Turkey by @Bullfilter . I'm not normally one for gameplay-focused AARs (outside of succession games, at least), but Buillfilter's writing is very good, and it's nice to see an AAR focused on a country that often doesn't get much attention (maybe because of all the Byzantophiles?).

Finally, my nomination for Fan of the Week goes to @TheButterflyComposer , for his dedicated and highly detailed responses to various AARs, including Talking Turkey. His own AAR, The Empire of Albion, is also well worth a read.

Congratulations!

Congratulations, it is well deserved!

Oh sweet, this is a thing? Cool.
I'll have to put some thought into who my fan would be though, since Empire of Albion is my first and so they're all pretty damn important at this juncture.

Thanks very much.

Many congratulations, Butterfly. I value each and every comment you make even if I cannot "make it so." ;)

You have indeed become an excellent Fan of AARs and I applaud your in depth thinking each and every time. Thanks for keeping things cool! :cool:

Congratulations indeed Butterfly. As others have said you clearly put much thought into your comments and are a very worthy winner.

Congrats @TheButterflyComposer! I have to say, I enjoy reading your running commentary on coz's "The Rightful King" almost as much as I enjoy the AAR itself.

Oh I'm sure the well written and thought ou AAR is better enjoyed than comments written in five minutes on an iPad, but thank you all the same.

Many congratulations, Butterfly. I value each and every comment you make even if I cannot "make it so." ;)

You have indeed become an excellent Fan of AARs and I applaud your in depth thinking each and every time. Thanks for keeping things cool! :cool:

Ah, your work is great. Makes me wish my own work had room for character pieces but at this time it does not. Maybe in EUIV. And the Professor is certainly interested in doing a review of the AAR history so far.

Congratulations indeed Butterfly. As others have said you clearly put much thought into your comments and are a very worthy winner.

Tank you very much. ( there's a dad joke for you).

Another AAR I recommend is An Alternate World War II by @MacGowan . A realtime AAR that has been going on for a little over two years now, MacGowan's excellent writing and high level of detail very much bring it to life, and I don't think I've ever been as invested in an AAR before. The relatively slow place has also allowed for some very involved discussion and analysis between the weekly posts by its readers.

Wow, thank you for the warm review, and congratulations! :)

Wow, thank you for the warm review, and congratulations! :)
I concur, having read up to page 52 currently. It's a good read.

EDIT: and to flagrantly self promote, so's mine and it's just been updated after an exam season break.;)

Last edited:
I also heartily recommend Talking Turkey by @Bullfilter . I'm not normally one for gameplay-focused AARs (outside of succession games, at least), but Bullfilter's writing is very good, and it's nice to see an AAR focused on a country that often doesn't get much attention (maybe because of all the Byzantophiles?).

Finally, my nomination for Fan of the Week goes to @TheButterflyComposer, for his dedicated and highly detailed responses to various AARs, including Talking Turkey. His own AAR, The Empire of Albion, is also well worth a read.
First, my warm congratulations to @TheButterflyComposer. As others have said, it is well deserved. There's many a good in- and out-of-character discussion and banter in store if you are ever lucky enough to have @TheButterflyComposer as a regular contributor to your AAR. And you will be kept on your toes as well!

On a personal note, thank you very much @TheTeaMustFlow for your kind words about Talking Turkey. It is most appreciated.

First, my warm congratulations to @TheButterflyComposer. As others have said, it is well deserved. There's many a good in- and out-of-character discussion and banter in store if you are ever lucky enough to have @TheButterflyComposer as a regular contributor to your AAR. And you will be kept on your toes as well!

On a personal note, thank you very much @TheTeaMustFlow for your kind words about Talking Turkey. It is most appreciated.

Once again you hype up my abilities somewhat, like I'm some forum travelling Gandalf popping in a random and spouting wisdom on topics that seemingly bear no relevance on the discussion at hand. But thank you very much :)

Once again you hype up my abilities somewhat, like I'm some forum travelling Gandalf popping in a random and spouting wisdom on topics that seemingly bear no relevance on the discussion at hand. But thank you very much :)
Ah, but you turn up to comment neither early nor late, but exactly when you intended to ;). Better than being a Sith Lord, anyway (eh, Darth Kelebek)!

Ah, but you turn up to comment neither early nor late, but exactly when you intended to ;). Better than being a Sith Lord, anyway (eh, Darth Kelebek)!

Are you trying to make all my characters OP?

What best constitutes a fan of the week? There's been a few here, there and everywhere in the CKII forums (and even a few on that other stuff that paradox does)?

What best constitutes a fan of the week? There's been a few here, there and everywhere in the CKII forums (and even a few on that other stuff that paradox does)?
Anyone you feel actively, positively contributes to AARland by commenting on other people's AARs/LPs and who are also not me.

Edit: also it tends to be a faux pas to award it to one's self or someone who has recently (last 6 months or so) won.

Last edited:
Congrats TheButterflyComposer. :)

It's always a pleasure to read your comment on Coz1's AAR (and sometimes, discuss my point with you and the other, though I lack a bit of time lately)