• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
The Bold Prince

"From Saxon soil and Saxons old

Came forth the Prince, both strong and bold.

When father failed and women wept

He came and England’s honour kept.

From rebels dire to foreign field

He smote his foes, forced them to yield.

His valour shone, put night to flight.

He reigned in Splendour, Grace and Might.

From sea to sea His name is known –

His name still sung in rev’rent tone.

Of later times we do not say

For King Uhtræd’s tale is our play."

- Composed by Brother Nylan of Taunton

Meissen, Germany – December 1109

Uhtræd looked to the letter in his hand and desired to throw it into the fire but he could not. His father, the King, was now dead and his brother Eadward made it clear that his return was desired…nay, necessary. It mattered not his birthright as much as what the words suggested. His decision did not just affect himself but an entire realm, and one that his father had done his best to create as whole.

The Prince of England looked to the words before him and thought on his past. He was born of Eadgar of Wessex who had fought and gained for his House the crown of England that was his by right. Though he was born an exile, Eadgar had brought home that crown to its rightful place in the hands of Wessex where his own grandfather and great-grandfather before him had been Kings. He had fought off the maddening attempts by that wily Bastard of Normandy and would be Conqueror and saved the great Saxon realm from foreign rule. The Prince had grown into a man that had defended that realm and loved his father in nearly every way. Uhtræd thought of those dark and frightened nights when he moved beyond his considered ability and put himself forward as a great man of England, and for his father…for his family.

He remembered his assistance to the Lord Duke Skuli when that man might have died…he recalled the time he realized what his father had truly done to gain the crown and what that meant to him as far as the worth of the thing…and he could not leave the vision of his first wife and child, both gone from him many years ago. His new life was different…and happy. He had been Marshal to England at an early age and had won many battles for his father against the very Norman enemy that the realm still faced. And now he was Marshal to his wife in Meissen and had proved his worth to her people when he gained his Duchess the province of Gelre many years ago.

Duplicity by his father, the death of his first wife and child, and now the warmth of his current home caused the Prince to truly consider what he may do. He knew the role…the crown…was his by right. But did he truly want it?

The letter arrived many hours ago and after a brief outrage by his wife, Duchess Adela had finally ceased pounding at his chamber door with her great question. When the silence had come to give him chance to consider his position, he had assumed that she had moved to bring her guards and forcibly open the door for her. But that had not happened. Now, many hours later, only a soft knock arrived.

Uhtræd reluctantly stood to open it and found his wife standing outside, still in her fine dress from their supper, and with tears staining her face. Adela looked to her husband with sad and pleading eyes, “You must not leave me.”

The Prince pulled her to him and held her tight, “I would wish no thing that might tear you away from me.”

Adela sobbed at his shoulder, “Our children need you…I need you.”

“And I need you,” Uhtræd pulled back to look her deeply in the eye. “You are my sun and stars and everything in between. But I must consider this.”

“Why?!” she pleaded.

He moved to lead her into the room, sitting her down gently in a chair as he sat opposite and looked to her with sincerity, “I would not wish to spend one day without you any more than I would without mine own heart. In truth, whenever I am caused to do so, it is never more full than when I have chance to look upon you again. Your face and the looks of our children are the things that cause me to wake at every morrow and I could not imagine my life without you in any way. But this is…so very difficult.”

Adela looked to her husband with some hope in her eyes, “Then do not take the difficult path. Have I not made this place your home as much as mine own?”

Uhtræd smiled, “You have done so in every way, my lady. But I am not just your Duke. I am a Prince of England and heir to that throne. I did never wish this day, but it has come and now…”

“You are its King,” she answered as she dropped her head in sadness.

“That is what I am told…” Uhtræd reached out and grabbed her hand, “…that is what has been designed by my father…and that is what he spent a large portion of his life building. Not for himself…but for me.”

Adela looked at him, “But you liked him not. You have said so in the past.”

“In haste,” the Prince replied with a nod, “They be not my true feelings if I consider them. It took me many years to understand my father, but I believe that I do now.”

The Duchess of Meissen looked to her husband with question, “I have asked you what you may do. Have you found answer?”

Uhtræd caressed his wife’s hand as he answered, “I have not, but my time at home some years past continues to weigh upon my mind. While I did give no firm answer to either my brother or my father, the King…his words play at my mind at the now as if they had occurred just yesterday…”

Gainsborough, England – November 1107

The long night and deep conversation with his brother had not helped the Prince find any resolution to his trouble. Eadward had left to find some solution to his aching head and Uhtræd needed to see to his son. But the nagging feeling of doubt and desire for his continued remove from the Kingdom of England remained in his mind. He moved to the window once more and pulled the fur around him as he looked out over the windswept lands of his father’s realm.

He loved Gainsborough. He truly did. His best memories of childhood were wrapped in the lush landscape of the keep and his intricate knowledge of every nook and crevice as he explored as a youth. It had even helped him once when he was older to come to the aid of his good and great friend, Lord Skuli. Uhtræd thought about the Lord Marshal and felt that at least that man may be true to him when the time may come.

When it would come.

Of Robert of Normandy…the man was a snake just like the man’s father, the Bastard. He had no great love or even knowledge of the Godwin clan these days. And the man of York? Surely the young Duke would always know of how his father was killed and would never be a friend to him. So much death. So much death to pave the way for his father’s great crown. Why would he want the bloody thing?

He thought of his wife at home in Meissen. Adela would be missing Oscytel right about now. And probably leading Wulfwynn and Æthelswith in their stitching. She would most certainly not be letting time pass by with any waste. She would be supervising the nursemaid with little Ælflæda and keeping tabs on the lady in waiting for his young son Eadgar, his father’s namesake. If she were doing anything, it may be trying to console Eadberht. Oscytel’s younger brother had just turned 11 summers and was mighty jealous when his older brother had chance to travel when he did not. Uhtræd missed them all.

The Prince looked about the room for a moment and realized it was not his old chamber. It had not occurred to him until just now. The night before had been long and his head continued to swim. But he was thankful for it being a different bed…that he was in a different place within this keep that not only held great memories from childhood but so too such great loss. Young Ælgifu’s face passed before his mind and he allowed a smile. Briefly.

Another knock on the door roused him from his thoughts and he moved to answer it. Before he could, his father entered wearing his fine morning robe. Whiskers askew and his long white hair a mess, Eadgar moved quickly to the fire.

“I must warm myself, Uhtræd,” the King suggested as he lifted his robe to get his backside nice and toasty. “These cold mornings are harder on me than in the past. But I see that you are up early. I am too. Most mornings, really…habit, I suppose.”

The Prince closed the door and moved to find his father a fur, “Mayhap your robe is too thin, Your Grace.”

“Nonsense! It is the finest material. I have it imported from Flanders…” Eadgar flashed a smile that quickly turned sour, “…Though I fear that scoundrel Duke may make that harder on me.”

“I have heard of Duke Robert’s forays into those lands,” Uhtræd answered with a nod. “Perhaps some mulled wine?”

Eadgar smiled again, “I’ve already called for it. You know I prefer the ale, but for a cold morning…a hot drink is just the thing.”

“I was to call on you this day after I looked after my son,” Uhtræd moved to the chair his brother had sat in just some few minutes before.

“A fine boy!” Eadgar exclaimed, “Tall…and yes lanky, as I say…but you are right. He will grow into his frame. As you did.”

“He does remain young, father,” Uhtræd suggested.

Eadgar grinned, “I thought a ride out with Beorhtmaer just the thing. I know it be cold today, but they two are so close in age…it would be good for them to find one another. What think you?”

Uhtræd smiled, “I had the same thought, father. I would go with them myself but I am here for such little time.”

“Then mayhap Lord Skuli may take them,” Eadgar considered to himself.

“He is an older man these days, Your Grace…” Uhtræd kept his smile. “His poor leg may not take well to a pleasure ride.”

Eadgar nodded, “Quite right. Mayhap Eadward then. He rides as well as the best.”

“I fear our brother is not of himself this morning, father…” Uhtræd grinned. “His drink was as much as yours last night and he is feeling it on the morrow as you may expect.”

“Really?” Eadgar found curiosity in the response as he turned to warm his front, “That is unlike him.”

Uhtræd stood to find some clothes, “It was a night unlike most others, father. We all may have taken actions that otherwise would not come to us.”

Eadgar turned his head, “Did you quarrel?”

“Nothing of the sort,” the Prince was quick to say as he found breeches and pulled them on. “We simply discussed our lives these past many years and recalled our childhood affinity for one another.”

The King moved again to warm his backside as he looked to his son with a smile, “That is fine. Fine. Good to see the two of you together again. I must say to you that it did my old heart good to find all of my sons together. I would have wished all of the family, but…”

A knock on the door interrupted him as a servant entered to serve the mulled wine. Uhtræd pulled his fur back around him as he sat on the bed and watched his father move swiftly to pour a cup.

“I am sorry to not see your lady wife, my son,” Eadgar suggested as he took one in hand and warmed himself with it, “Nor the rest of your brood. Life in Meissen seems to have been very good for you.”

Uhtræd continued to sit on the bed but gave his father a happy smile, “My time there has been kind, father. I would wish to bring them here but my wife has her realm and would not wish to see all of her children away from her.”

“I may understand, of course,” Eadgar moved back to the fire, “But at least a few of them. What will she do when you become King?”

“I imagine she will stay in her realm and rule it as always,” Uhtræd said flatly.

Eadgar looked to his son with a shocked face, “By God…she would become Queen! Surely she would rather hold that role than some ruler of a backwater German province.”

The Prince stood and dropped his fur to take a step towards his father, “Meissen be no backwater…Your Grace. To her, that suggestion might seem quite reversed. And it has grown considerably since my time there. We are a stable realm within this German empire and she does not stand lightly when she may act.”

“You act as though she rules you, sir,” Eadgar suggested with a grin.

“As I am her consort, she surely does,” Uhtræd flashed his own grin. “That she be my lady wife, she does so doubly.”

The King waived a hand, “Fine…fine…she need not come to this place. I think it a shame, but so be it. As long as young Oscytel travels back with you when the time comes. You will need to train him up in the ways of governing…”

“As you have done for me?” Uhtræd raised his brow.

Eadgar gave his son a sharp eye, “I most certainly have, sir! It be not my fault that you moved away from me so that you could not take my learning. I would have had you here by my side every single day for these many long years! You sound as if your brother…happy to take what I have to give but not finding any thanks from it!”

Uhtræd stepped to his father with a kind smile, “It is not easy to be your son.”

“Who wishes an easy life?” Eadgar continued in his pique, “The fishmonger? The blacksmith? The man in the field? You know this well enough. You are a soldier for that is how I raised you, and I know it true. You know well that we live not an easy life. And I know it true enough that yours has been hard. Harder than most in some respects, but I have done all I may to make it well before I die.”

The Prince moved closer and put his hand on Eadgar’s arm, “I know it, father. Your mummer’s play of last night tells me all I need know of hardship.”

“There be no mummery,” Eadgar turned away from his son. “I wished to take stock of where my son has been and who he has become.”

Uhtræd put his hands on his father’s shoulders, “You have had great hardship in your life. It took me some long time to find it, father, but I know it well as I look upon it now. Your love for me, I know. Your respect, even more so. But your expectation of us all…”

Eadgar turned back to his son with some irritation still, “I only wish the best for you…for your brother…for my wife…for the realm. I will fight always, as long as I have breath in my body, for these things!”

“I know, father…” Uhtræd looked to the King with a kind eye, “…I know. But we may not always know your hardships as you hold your mind so tight.”

Eadgar looked back to his son with great sorrow, “If my mind was so closed, then why would I have told you of my great failing?”

The Prince lowered his head as he heard his father say something that he had never considered. Uhtræd was disappointed in himself because he prided his mind in seeing these things from other men but he had let his emotions run too wild when it came to his father. He looked up with a smile finally, “Because you knew I needed to hear it though I wished not to think of it at the time.”

“Do you understand why?” Eadgar returned the gaze with pleading eyes.

Uhtræd stood back and looked at his father in a new way, “Because this was your own training.”

Eadgar took a step and found a chair by the fire. He sat and looked to his son, “Mine own father was an exile. He never let go of his anger for what had been taken from him. In all of our time away from this blessed Isle…he stewed in his discontent. The Confessor seemed to have no place for him and so he put me in a place that I might make mine own.”

“And you did,” Uhtræd took a chair next to his father.

“It took time,” Eadgar continued with a serious look, “And then my father died. Landless and forsaken. A great line of Saxon Kings and he had none of it. I vowed that very day that I would not allow any son of mine to have that same fate. I would do my duty to my father and present you with a realm worth having. It mattered not how. I would do it even if I sinned against God.”

“Surely you have confessed your sins,” Uhtræd took his father’s hand. “My worth from your actions means nothing compared to that.”

Eadgar looked him deep in the eye, “And yet it does. I would burn in hellfire for eternity if I knew that you might find your respect and love for me. If you would only understand the why of my actions, I would take whatever judgement comes to me. I have borne out lust with the Godwins…wrath with the Normans…greed and envy when it came time to move against Morcar of York…gluttony when I saw I might have a chance at this thing…and mayhap some sloth when I took it. My pride, and I would argue to God above that it be no crime, is in you!”

“Father…” Uhtræd looked to him with a serious eye, “I know not if I may be what you think that I am.”

The King returned the gaze with serious eye of his own, “You are my first born son. And if I have done anything in this life, I have made it so that you will be King. Mine own father would wish nothing less. You will be King after me and a better man than I ever was. That…Uhtræd…is my life’s work and the Lord God may do with that what He will.”

Dresden, Meissen – December 1109

Duchess Adela looked to her husband as he finished his story with sadness and anger pushing at her from both sides of her mind. She did not want a repeat of this long night, but she did not understand his thinking in any way.

“You have two brothers, do you not?” she questioned, “Let them take this worry so that you may stay here with me…with us!”

Uhtræd kept her hand in his with a firm grasp as he looked to her with a question still, “I do not wish to leave Meissen, my love. But I think I have so little choice. I must remain true to my father…and his realm.”

“You have every choice in the world!” Adela was quick to say.

“Not in this,” Uhtræd pulled her close, “Repeating his words to you only causes me to consider them more fully and…”

“And?” she asked with great question.

Uhtræd brought a hand to her face, “…And I must be true to my father.”

Adela allowed her anger to take hold once more as she stood, “And I speak true to you, husband…no child of mine will step foot in that realm!”

He stood as well and tried to give her an embrace, “It does not have to be in this manner.”

She pulled away and looked to him sharply, “It does because it is clear that you have made your choice. You may have told me this earlier and saved us both from a night of regrets. As it is…I will raise my children on my own and you will have no part of their life.”

“Adela!” Uhtræd moved once more to touch her with loving arms and she pulled away again.

“You may wish to find your place in some far reach, sir…but I live in the center of the world,” she answered him as she began to move from the room. “I will not have my children raised in some place as that…and what worth is a Queen of England?!”

Uhtræd found his anger but did not speak and allowed her a chance to say her words.

The Duchess opened the chamber door and looked back to her husband, “You may be gone from here at the now. I was wrong to need you so much. You would give your children a hearty farewell and then go about your business, if that is what you want.”

“It is not what I want!” Uhtræd was quick to answer.

She stood with the door open, “I thought I was what you wanted. It becomes clear to me that this is not so. So be gone with you, sir. Enjoy your realm…if you may.”

As she slammed the chamber door behind her, Uhtræd moved to follow but stopped as he reached for the handle. He knew his wife’s moods and there was little he may do to change her at this time. And he knew that he had truly made up his mind. His father’s words weighed too heavily on him and even with his question, he did not think that he could forsake those great wishes. His love for his father was the deciding factor. All else would be worked out in the end.

Reaching for a quill caused Uhtræd an uneasy feeling, but he pulled parchment to him so that he might write his brother and tell him of his decision. He stared at the blank page for many moments before he finally found some words.

Eadward,

Your note to me was too short. I would wish to know more. I trust your word in every way, but it still seems a great shock to my mind to find that our father is passed and is no more. I understand your urgency and will do my best to answer it but it will take time. I thank you for your efforts in every way and know well that you will see to all things. You know well that I do not wish to be there, but your words to me – and our father’s words – speak to all things over many others. If I am to be King, dear brother – then I must continue to count upon you in every way.

Please kiss our mother and give her so much love as I am certain that she be greatly troubled. We all are in this time. I will take ship immediately and I hope to be to you and her with no hardship. Until such time, please consider a great feast if there is gold enough for such a thing. Our father, the King, would wish nothing less at this time. It may be a celebration for his life so rudely cut short.

I must tell you that this happening has caused me no end of suffering in so many ways. It may take some time to convince my wife and children as it has taken me some time to convince myself. I will return to England, however, and I thank you for your efforts to keep our father’s realm sound. You are the dutiful son far more than I, and I love you brother.

Uhtræd

The Prince looked at how he signed the letter and sighed. He was not yet ready to take on any trappings of such an awesome position, but he put his quill back to the parchment and crossed out his name. Then he signed it again…

Uhtræd, Rex Britanniae

A bold statement indeed with that title :) The Scots best beware :=)

Uhtræd's sense of duty was already well known, and it is again displayed.

Introduction

Hello and welcome to all for the sequel to The Rightful King. That tale told of the great Eadgar of Wessex, King of England and Wales who rose from an exile to retake the Kingdom for his House. You do not need to read that work to enjoy this one, I hope, but it may likely give you quite a bit of inside knowledge as to how we got to this point. I will try my best to make this work stand on its own, but there can be no doubt that many of the character beats I may use are informed by the nearly 50 years of this history already recounted.

For any newcomer, I will state once more that this game has been played with vanilla CKII. I do not have any DLC added. It is played as the Kingdom of England and yes, still with the House of Wessex of course. Much has changed since 1066, so as a refresher and a guide, allow me to offer up a few screenshots to put you into the world we live in at the now.

Here is a full shot of Europe and the surroundings...

As you can see, the HRE has grown considerably and France has been having some troubles for many years. A crusade has been fought, and lost, over Jerusalem. And Iberia remains fragmented, though the Queen Mother of Portugal and Castile is Eadgar's sister Christina and this Uhtræd's aunt.

A closer look at Western Europe shows better where England sits at the moment...

We will look more closely at the various Dukes of England in the posts ahead, but you may see that England has grown via Normandy into a good portion of France, all the way down to southerly Auvergne. Wars for Wales have been fought and won thus far by both the crown and the Duke of Mercia, the late Lord Eadwin of House Hwicce and Duke of Mercia and Lancaster (now ruled by a teenage girl, his granddaughter Wulfrun.) And King Eadgar was able to take Cumberland for the crown in war against Scotland.

Our current King...Uhtræd...served as Marshal to the realm at 16 and sadly lost his wife and child in short order before being married off to the heir of Meissen, the now Duchess Adela. They have been married for 17 years and have six children, 3 boys and 3 girls. Now he returns to England to take up his seat as King. That is our tale as my good friend @stnylan suggested when he composed the opening words. (Thank you again for that, sir!)

I do hope that some new folks may stop by to check this out. I have spent several weeks trying to determine the best way to move forward with the story and decided that Eadgar's tale would live and die on its own. This would be new. I would surely love any and all to go back and read through the previous work, but if you come in fresh, I hope that you enjoy and let me know.

And some early fb-fb:

A new dawn rises over England. Most excellent to see the sequel so soon :)
Sweet! As I mentioned in the other thread, I had planned on waiting another day but with the weekend coming up and knowing my schedule, now was the best time. Besides...I've been working on this transition for weeks now and I am itching to get it moving. :D

A bold statement indeed with that title :) The Scots best beware :=)

Uhtræd's sense of duty was already well known, and it is again displayed.
Thank you Brother Nylan. ;) Someday, this monk will be made Saint, methinks. :D

And yes, Uhtræd has his honor before all. There was question and I considered leaving it open as we started but decided to dive in full on. He has made his choice and indeed, all should watch out. :cool:

To all - I will thank you all in advance for what I hope will be a great reception to this work. Your comments mean everything to me. So...let's get this thing started! :D

To quote a remarkable and stylish gentleman, "And here, we go..." :p

Now I don't have to read 30 pages after finding it half way to the completion! :cool:

Ahhh welcome to a new dawn. It cannot have been easy for the new king to make that decision presaging, as it did, the break up of his own family. Talking of which is his eldest a priest? :eek:

I like the flashback scene too-I had to do a double take there haha

And as for the sign off as @stnylan says: Scots beware! I will be interested to see how the Saxon great lords respond to the changing of the guard.

Really delighted you've launched straight into it-I honestly wish I could be as prolific as you

Uhtræd, Rex Britanniae

Hmm...is he going to try to prove to his darling wife that he can give her a title and rank she will want? She doesn't want to be queen of England, but what about empress of Albion (well...that's what they would call it. I'd understand if you picked another name:)).

Looks great so far. We have an ambitious new ruler with a massive problem to solve (getting his wife and children back and securing his heir) of which the only way to do so is to either take on the HRE and win (which would be bloody impressive), conquer all of France (which would also mean fighting the HRE at some point as well) or uniting the British isles under his rule. Either way, an empire is required because he needs that title...

A most excellent start! And so fast after the completion of the old AAR. :)

It's no easy task to be the king under any cicumstance. No more under Uthræd's. And I have to wonder. Who is The Bold Prince? As with The Rightful King, I guess that is up to interpretation...:D

Talking of which is his eldest a priest? :eek:
Not only the Court Chaplain of Meissen, he's married to some dirty Venetian merchant's girl. Hardly the suitable match for a future King of Britain.

That said, definitely looking forward to getting caught up when I have the time. Your writing is nothing short of impressive, both in quality and in volume.

Great start ! So that was the conversation you hide from us in The Rightful King.
I'm sure this sequel will be as good as the first AAR. May Uthraed be as successful as his father (note that I said a compliment to Eadgar :p ).

See you when I'm back (roughly a week) and thanks again for your wonderful stories. :)

Fb-fb:

To quote a remarkable and stylish gentleman, "And here, we go..." :p

Now I don't have to read 30 pages after finding it half way to the completion! :cool:
Nothing like getting in on the ground floor. And very glad to have you along for the ride, sir!

Ahhh welcome to a new dawn. It cannot have been easy for the new king to make that decision presaging, as it did, the break up of his own family. Talking of which is his eldest a priest? :eek:

I like the flashback scene too-I had to do a double take there haha

And as for the sign off as @stnylan says: Scots beware! I will be interested to see how the Saxon great lords respond to the changing of the guard.

Really delighted you've launched straight into it-I honestly wish I could be as prolific as you
Indeed, it was discussed that he might and apparently Oscytel went forward with it. I guess being tutored by an anti-pope may do that for a young man ( as I determined as I drilled down into that one screenshot from some years past. The proper Pope still resides in Rome, but there is another that the HRE seems to be harboring. We'll see if this plays into the future.)

I originally had planned to break that flashback scene into its own update but as I began to build the opening, it became more and more necessary to my mind to include it along with Uhtræd's thinking. This was the missing scene from his time at home back in 1107. I wrote it at that time so that the scene would play fresh and of a piece with the rest of that post back in The Rightful King and have been sitting on it for many weeks. :D

As for his signature, I checked with stnylan to see what might be most proper and we agreed this was what he would use. I considered Rex Angliae but there may be a reason some will come to consider Uhtræd bold. ;)

In terms of me being prolific, it was not always thus. Yes, I have written quite a lot of things on this forum over the years, but one of the lessons I learned, for my own habits at least, was that if I allowed too much downtime, I was likely to hit a great lull and I have determined not to let that happen since I have been back writing. The last AAR is the quickest I have ever churned out such a longish and detailed work in my life. I am not about to stop now. :D Great to have you ready for the action.

Hmm...is he going to try to prove to his darling wife that he can give her a title and rank she will want? She doesn't want to be queen of England, but what about empress of Albion (well...that's what they would call it. I'd understand if you picked another name:)).

Looks great so far. We have an ambitious new ruler with a massive problem to solve (getting his wife and children back and securing his heir) of which the only way to do so is to either take on the HRE and win (which would be bloody impressive), conquer all of France (which would also mean fighting the HRE at some point as well) or uniting the British isles under his rule. Either way, an empire is required because he needs that title...
A nice set of goals for King Uhtræd. As always, I cannot promise that he accomplishes any of them. ;) But he might. And you make a very good point as regards his wife...what would make her rethink her position? I and my protagonist will have to determine that down the road. Great to see you follow over, Butterfly.

A most excellent start! And so fast after the completion of the old AAR. :)

It's no easy task to be the king under any cicumstance. No more under Uthræd's. And I have to wonder. Who is The Bold Prince? As with The Rightful King, I guess that is up to interpretation...:D
Indeed it is up to interpretation. On the surface, it would speak to Uhtræd of course. But as has been mentioned, it could just as easily refer to another either now or down the road. That may be part of the fun of this work - figuring that little secret out. :D

Thanks for jumping on board so quickly Nikolai. I always appreciate your steadfast support!

Not only the Court Chaplain of Meissen, he's married to some dirty Venetian merchant's girl. Hardly the suitable match for a future King of Britain.

That said, definitely looking forward to getting caught up when I have the time. Your writing is nothing short of impressive, both in quality and in volume.
Good to see you again, sir! And spot on - the new heir and Uhtræd's eldest is Court Chaplain AND married, though if she be the daughter of a dirty Venetian, I am unsure. I did not drill down too tightly on that (yet, at least.) As we looked at in the last work, he does not quite have the makings of a future King so that will be one of the spots to watch for in this new work. Further to that, none of Uhtræd's children follow him (as his wife threatened) so I will have little hand in their raising or future marriages. One more dark spot on that long ago arranged marriage for Uhtræd. Blast!

Thanks for jumping in! Hope you enjoy.

Great start ! So that was the conversation you hide from us in The Rightful King.
I'm sure this sequel will be as good as the first AAR. May Uthraed be as successful as his father (note that I said a compliment to Eadgar :p ).

See you when I'm back (roughly a week) and thanks again for your wonderful stories. :)
Quite right - that was the missing scene. I felt there was some information in it at the time that might make Uhtræd's question seem outdated by this juncture. So I held it back and waited for the right time to present it. I think it works better in this order and besides, that "visit home" post had become rather lengthy anyway (not that this first one here was not.)

Glad you enjoyed the opening and hopefully I can build Uhtræd out into a character you respect far more than his father. :p You recall his past, surely. And while he did kill the young Duke Eadgar of York, he did so on the field of battle. Honorably.

Great to see you jump in and I look forward to your return. Have a great time on vacation and look ahead (hopefully) to a few scenes to get us truly going here when you get back. :)

To all - As always, I am overwhelmed by the support and I thank you very, very much. I do apologize for the length of the opening scene as usually I like to keep it short and tight to grasp the initial reader. But this is an unusual circumstance and an unusual work so thought I needed to put it all out there to get us moving. I am already working ahead but I have a long day in front of me tomorrow so the next scene will likely arrive on Sunday (or late tomorrow if I get to it.) Look forward to Eadward's return. :D

Thanks for the great comments, folks! I am really excited to get this going and seeing where we go from here. I have a better idea of what I want to do with this story than I did when I started the last one, however, so hopefully there won't be too many bits of uncertainty on my part as we go along. :)

And spot on - the new heir and Uhtræd's eldest is Court Chaplain AND married, though if she be the daughter of a dirty Venetian, I am unsure.
I assume it from her having the surname of a man most cursed by Byzantophiles.

Well done on getting this up so quickly, especially given the length and the explainer you included afterwards. No easy task.

While it is unsurprising the duchess does not approve of Uthraed's ascension, I wonder how much she can do to stop him from pulling their children from Meissen. I do not think he has the territory for it now - but Uthraed could hand land in England to Oscytel. If he were able to secure a duchy of some sort and then give it to his son, that would be one way of getting him there. Such a thing would not be unheard of, either.

That said, long term this feels as if it sets up much like Norman England did with France. There will be valuable lands in the HRE, and the Emperor probably will not like them under control of a foreign king. Unfortunately, Oscytel does not look like a Henry I or Henry II... so that may prove too difficult for him to handle.

Good stuff and glad to have Eadgar's line back so soon.

Like I said I'll try to follow this!:)

Good work on the introduction posts, they gave me a rather clear picture of the setting and a bit of background as well, since after all I don't know the full last story.

Looking forward to see how Uhtræd handles his role as king, particularly with his wife and children left in Meissen. :)

Fb-fb:

I assume it from her having the surname of a man most cursed by Byzantophiles.
Ahh, well that explains it. ;) I can tell you that the marriage does not go so well for the young man. But that is in the future.

Well done on getting this up so quickly, especially given the length and the explainer you included afterwards. No easy task.

While it is unsurprising the duchess does not approve of Uthraed's ascension, I wonder how much she can do to stop him from pulling their children from Meissen. I do not think he has the territory for it now - but Uthraed could hand land in England to Oscytel. If he were able to secure a duchy of some sort and then give it to his son, that would be one way of getting him there. Such a thing would not be unheard of, either.

That said, long term this feels as if it sets up much like Norman England did with France. There will be valuable lands in the HRE, and the Emperor probably will not like them under control of a foreign king. Unfortunately, Oscytel does not look like a Henry I or Henry II... so that may prove too difficult for him to handle.

Good stuff and glad to have Eadgar's line back so soon.
Well, most opf it was built some few weeks ago, really. It was just the intro I really had to do although the formatting of the first post was rather different than most. Glad to have you so quickly back on board with the new tale.

You are most certainly right that their would be avenues of getting at least Oscytel to England, if not some of the rest. But I still would not be able to choose their marriages or educations which is rather a pisser. I must tell you that during this period, I felt as though I had scored somewhat of a coup what with Uhtræd's son not just heir to England but so too Meissen (which has grown in the intervening years.) And it does set up some fairly nice continental holdings within the Empire. Meissen and Gelre are no slouches, must less the other two. But alas, you are decidedly correct - Oscytel is no Henry II. Nor was I able to set him up with his own Eleanor to assist. We shall just have to see how it goes.

Like I said I'll try to follow this!:)

Good work on the introduction posts, they gave me a rather clear picture of the setting and a bit of background as well, since after all I don't know the full last story.

Looking forward to see how Uhtræd handles his role as king, particularly with his wife and children left in Meissen. :)
Great to have you on board when you can, Mackie! I do hope you get a chance to finish Rightful King at some point, but I do hope this stands on its own and not necessarily knowing the fine points of the history does not take away from the enjoyment of this.

To all - the next scene follows and as promised, takes us to England proper and fills us in with what Eadward is up to. Thanks again for the great reception this new tale has so far received. I'm really excited to see where we go from here. It should be some fun stuff. :)

The Bold Prince

Gainsborough, England – January, 1110

Prince Eadward walked the halls of the keep on his way to the privy council chamber. His mood was low and he did not look forward to answering for a crown that was not his. But for now…it more or less was. And he had made a promise. Word had come from his brother that England would have its rightful King and while Uhtræd made his move to return, it was left to the Chancellor to rule the realm in his absence. The Chancellor…the brother. He.

Eadward held the note…notes…in his hand as he opened the door and moved into the room and saw all of the men inside stand. He tried to smile but suggested that they all sit as he moved to his chair at the side. He looked to the empty chair at the head of the table and then sat in his own with a thud.

“My brother…” he began to say.

“Ahem!” Bishop Cearl cleared his throat with certainty.

Eadward sighed as he looked to the Bishop, “I apologize. Please say your words.”

Bishop Cearl gave over a prayer while all of those around the table lowered their heads. All but the Prince. Eadward bowed his head slightly but waited until the priest was done. He did not waste a moment as Bishop Cearl crossed himself to do the same in quick fashion and then look to all that were gathered.

The Lord Marshal Skuli had made quick time to return from the continent and took his seat next to the Prince with a nod. He trusted his son by law Eadward and believed in this new King even more. Duke Æthelmær did likewise and moved to arrange his books as any good steward might. Next to him, Mayor Brice kept a pleasing countenance but took his time to find his chair as he kept a wary eye on the Prince. Finally, Eadward sat and looked to them all.

“As I say,” the Prince began, “I have had word from my brother…the King. He tells me that it may take some time to return to these shores, but that he will be here with every effort.”

Lord Brice offered a smile, “That is wonderful news, my Prince. May we assume that his wishes remain the same as King Eadgar?”

All of those present looked to Eadward with question and he tried to answer, “I could not say to you what the King’s wishes may be other than what he has told me, my Lords. We be at a tenuous state and must do all we may to safeguard this throne for him in every way.”

“It will be safe!” Skuli made point to answer as he slammed a hand to the table.

Æthelmær was quick to follow, “I have made certain to secure the treasury for His Grace, my Lord Prince.”

“The church supports King Uhtræd in every way, my Lords,” Bishop Cearl continued.

Eadward nodded to them all and then looked to the master of spies, “And you, Lord Mayor?”

Brice kept his smile as he offered a brief bow, “Of course, my Prince. My ears remain open to all sound of perfidy and I would tell you the moment I hear of any such thing.”

“Then prepare for your ears to burn, sir,” Eadward answered him with a firm gaze, “We are to see which of our Lords are true and which are not in the coming days. My brother will count on you as much as any other man here.”

“I would be his servant in every way,” Brice nodded once more.

Æthelmær leaned forward, “What does…the King say to you, my Lord Prince?”

Eadward turned to him with no smile, “It is fine that you ask as it concerns you. He wishes a great feast to bring all of our Lords together.”

“Is he aware that our coffers remain low while we continue this war between Lord Robert and…” Æthelmær began to ask but stopped himself as he looked at Skuli’s scowl.

The Marshal waived a hand, “You may continue, Lord Æthelmær. Let not my presence keep you from your work.”

As the Duke of Kent was about to finish his thought, Eadward held up the letters in his hand, “Our King is well aware of the possible finances such a feast may cost and has sent further word that he would be more than pleased to pay for it from his own purse. He is adamant that it occur, however, as he wishes a grand statement to all of our Lords.”

“It is a fine thought and I concur,” Skuli looked to the other men.

Æthelmær shrugged, “Then I shall begin the planning. I would presume that King Uhtræd wishes all of his great Lords? Even Morcar of York?”

Eadward put a finger to the table, “Especially Morcar of York.”

“It may be dangerous for they two to share a room,” the Steward suggested. “After all, the King did…slay his own father.”

Duke Skuli chuffed, “It is battle, sirs. It be time for the young man of Hwicce to grow his pair and face the realm in his fullness. He should know that revolt against the crown is treachery and would find its fate. He should find that route wanting.”

Eadward sighed, “It is for this reason that Morcar of York be there…as much as Lord Cearl and Lord Robert.”

The Prince looked to Skuli as he answered and watched the Marshal shrug his shoulders in answer, “He is always welcome at our table, my Lord Prince. I may have some words for the man.”

The aged spymaster placed his hands upon the table as he spoke up, “This is my concern, my Lords…while we all knew our parts during the glorious reign of King Eadgar, we are left adrift without knowledge of King Uhtræd’s wishes. Shall we continue in our paths or await his word?”

“You will cease all activity until we know,” Eadward answered with irritation. He looked to Skuli, “I may not tell you that your war is finished because I know well that it is not. But the King will have his opinion when he arrives.”

“And you, Lord Brice…” Eadward turned with certainty, “…you would cease your plotting and await word from His Grace.”

“I be very close…” Brice began to answer but the Prince stopped him.

“You will cease all efforts until the King tells you what you must do!”

Æthelmær tried to play his usual role as peacemaker, “The Prince is correct, my Lords. We must needs know of King Uhtræd’s wishes in all ways. We have too much in front of us to go about our business as usual. There may be no doubt that we must see to the interment of King Eadgar and that will be a very sad day for us all. We must also see to the arrangements for King Uhtræd’s coronation. A date must be set and soon. And now, it appears that we must plan for this great feast.”

“If we know of a wish…” Eadward looked to the council, “…then we know this above all else.”

Mayor Brice frowned, “So our Lord Skuli here may continue his war with justification and I am to let off in my gains against Lord Cearl? I admit that I do not understand.”

Skuli was about to speak but Eadward held up a hand, “My Lord, you will wait for the now. I cannot know my brother’s mind and he may not wish the same as our father. You would keep your mind focused and your action only to tell me if there is worry to be had. Do you understand?”

There was silence in the room as Brice looked to the other members and then back to the Prince with a sigh, “Very well.”

“My Lords,” Eadward leaned forward and looked to them all with certainty, “We must do all we may to see this realm sound while we await the King’s arrival. There are too many factions that may wish to rise against this throne and I would count upon you all to see my brother to a safe landing. You all loved my father, so I would ask of you to keep that tenderness in your heart and do your duty to this crown.”

Duke Skuli was quick to answer, “There be no question of my loyalty, my Prince.”

“Nor I,” Duke Æthelmær followed immediately.

Mayor Brice offered a brief bow, “I remain ever humbled by the appointment, my Prince.”

Eadward looked to the end of the table. He saw Bishop Cearl give him a nod and then he answered, “I would tell you all that we know where the enemy lives. It lives in Normandy. It lives in the Godwin claim. It lives in the House of Hwicce where young Duke Morcar wishes to be the same as his grandfather. We must not have that for us…for our King.”

All present gave nod in agreement and stood. Bishop Cearl gave another prayer and then they left the room leaving Eadward by himself. He sat once more and looked to the now empty table. His mind took him to Rhuddlan and a chance to have his time with Madrun, his great Welsh lover. She would most assuredly give him as much trouble as these Lords, but at least she was pleasant to see. The Prince would rather be anywhere else than here.

The death of King Eadgar had thrown the entire realm into chaos. He knew it to be inevitable. But he had done his service to both father and brother alike and the weight of it made him consider the great burden Uhtræd had inherited. He wished it not. He had enjoyed his life as Chancellor to the realm under his father with a fine wife and child and a mischievous lover in the Lady from Gwynedd. He wished nothing more than to go back there.

His brother would soon return and take up the crown, and Eadward was glad of it. He may then go back to his life as he knew it. He was greatly saddened by his father’s death and remained loyal to his brother. But he began to think that perhaps his lone plot of land may be worth more than this headache of the English court. He would put his brother on the throne and then consider his own choices. He would do his duty, but he would not leave himself out of the new dawn that had come upon the realm. The Prince sighed, and stood, and then walked from the room considering those possibilities.

A rather precarious situation indeed, and one or two signs of discord in the Council. As yet, though, they remain united in wishing to see the realm safe for Uhtræd's arrival.

Eadwerd seems to be growing, too.

I've been sensing a certain tension between Prince Eadward and Mayor Brice for a while now. Let us hope it doesn't end up derailing both of them from their appointed tasks as royal advisors; in particular, I think Eadward might be just a little over-sensitive to those who would challenge his competence, whether the challenge be real or perceived.

Prince Edward for Wales eh? I wonder if that last sentence is the forerunner for such ambitions? We shall see. A good exposition chapter setting the scene for there's no time as dangerous as the gap between kings!

I have a question, why do you always play in outdated ck2? Sorry, but it is one of my pet peeves, seeing that you can't fully enjoy all of the features of ck2.