• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I confess I associate Lifetime Achievement Awards with "He's about to die and we had better give him an award because we have somehow failed to do so earlier."

Naturally I hope none of that applies to @Nikolai and they continue to be an active and much appreciated part of AARland. Congratulations indeed.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I confess I associate Lifetime Achievement Awards with "He's about to die and we had better give him an award because we have somehow failed to do so earlier."
Heaven forbid anyone ever proposes an “honorary YAYA”. Then we’ll really need to keep an eye on the mortality rates.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Heaven forbid anyone ever proposes an “honorary YAYA”. Then we’ll really need to keep an eye on the mortality rates.
We are not getting any younger. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Budget cuts, lay-offs, rising inflation, soaring prices, capitalist onslaught on humanity, etc. so the concerts are off for this season.

So congrat's to all the winners, the nominees, the voters, the readaars, the lurkaars, everyone. Yeah.

...except for The 2023 MrT Lifetime Achievement AwAARd. And the awAARdee.

This was long overdue.

<guitars arrive>
<drums appear>
<bass is the king in this one, takes the pole position>
<and the vocal is ready, like since yesterday>

As the sun breaks, above the ground
An aarlander stands on the hill
As the ground warms, to the first rays of light
A birdsong shatters the still

His eyes are ablaze
See the titan in his gaze

Fly, on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the stars
@Nikolai, like an eagle
Fly and touch the stars

Now the crowd breaks and a young filcat appears
Looks the aarlander in the eye
As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd:
"In the name of aarland, Nikolai, now fly!"

The aarlander seems so amazed
As he flies on the words of dreams
Now he knows filcat congratulated
Now his wings spreads into sky, into sky his stories

Fly as high as the stars
Nikolai, like an eagle
Fly and touch the stars

Fly as high as the stars
Nikolai, like an eagle
Fly as high as the stars

On your way, like an eagle
Fly, touch the stars

On your way, like an eagle
Nikolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai

<and do not miss the outro 3:10-3:49>

Fly as high as the stars!

Appropriated butchered from Flight of Icarus of the album Piece of Mind by Iron Maiden (1983)
Images from the concert in Dortmund (1983)

Edit: Minor corrections on the formatting.
Loving it. :D

Naturally I hope none of that applies to @Nikolai and they continue to be an active and much appreciated part of AARland. Congratulations indeed.
My health is bad. But hopefully not THAT bad. ;)

• 5Like
Reactions:
@Nikolai sorry my reply is late! But definitely, hearty congratulations to you for this well-earned award!

I posted this in another thread, and I don't even remember where, there have been so many lately. But I do appreciate that you can keep up the pace with new AARs, and that you have a body of older AARs, some of which I remember from "back in the day", and you put your effort into commenting on others' AARs, and encouraging authors with projects such as the ACAs, etc.

Thank you SO MUCH for all you do for AARLand today, and what you've done in the past. AND for what you'll do tomorrow, because I know you're still writing new stuff.

And in light of the namesake of the AAR I thought I might add what I remember to what @coz1 said about MrT. I was kind of new, still, in 2006 -- had just finished my first AAR (granted, it took me 2 years), and had recently been hired to write the EU III Strategy Guide. I "knew of" MrT, more than "knew" MrT, because I hadn't really had time to read alot of AARs outside of the Victoria folder, and some HOI AARs. MrT, as with most older folks, started in the EU 1 and EU 2 folders, writing AARs for the earliest games. I regret that I missed all of that development and camaraderie.

However I did have the honor of working with MrT on the EU III beta, since he was writing the Manual. Everything back then was done by "IRC" (think, maybe, Facebook Messenger, but with a '90s feel to it). We worked side by side on a number of projects related to EU III. I knew he was one of the veterans, but didn't know him personally, and I don't recall that we talked about personal stuff much, other than for me to know he lived in Toronto. But he DID show me the ropes with EU III and relating it to EU 2 and how things had changed. And of course we closely coordinated the Manual and Strategy Guide. So I worked with him a fair bit. I would like to say we kept in touch and all that, but I really didn't, and I regret that as well. I did very much enjoy working with him.

In memoria.

Rensslaer

• 5Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @Nikolai! Very well deserved for all that you do in AARland, from your own writings and comments to hosting the ACA's. Great job!

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Nikolai sorry my reply is late! But definitely, hearty congratulations to you for this well-earned award!

I posted this in another thread, and I don't even remember where, there have been so many lately. But I do appreciate that you can keep up the pace with new AARs, and that you have a body of older AARs, some of which I remember from "back in the day", and you put your effort into commenting on others' AARs, and encouraging authors with projects such as the ACAs, etc.

Thank you SO MUCH for all you do for AARLand today, and what you've done in the past. AND for what you'll do tomorrow, because I know you're still writing new stuff.

And in light of the namesake of the AAR I thought I might add what I remember to what @coz1 said about MrT. I was kind of new, still, in 2006 -- had just finished my first AAR (granted, it took me 2 years), and had recently been hired to write the EU III Strategy Guide. I "knew of" MrT, more than "knew" MrT, because I hadn't really had time to read alot of AARs outside of the Victoria folder, and some HOI AARs. MrT, as with most older folks, started in the EU 1 and EU 2 folders, writing AARs for the earliest games. I regret that I missed all of that development and camaraderie.

However I did have the honor of working with MrT on the EU III beta, since he was writing the Manual. Everything back then was done by "IRC" (think, maybe, Facebook Messenger, but with a '90s feel to it). We worked side by side on a number of projects related to EU III. I knew he was one of the veterans, but didn't know him personally, and I don't recall that we talked about personal stuff much, other than for me to know he lived in Toronto. But he DID show me the ropes with EU III and relating it to EU 2 and how things had changed. And of course we closely coordinated the Manual and Strategy Guide. So I worked with him a fair bit. I would like to say we kept in touch and all that, but I really didn't, and I regret that as well. I did very much enjoy working with him.

In memoria.

Rensslaer
Thank you Renss. :) I remember MrT well, but I can't say I ever had much direct contact with him other than being part of the AAR discussions of course. It felt like a definite change when we learned we lost him, though. On that note, I wish we were better at keeping the MrT awAARd for old and treasured AARs alive, the one you founded. :) Link for those interested: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-mrt-memorial-aar-veterans-showcase.834512/

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hmmm... @Nikolai well, that doesn't seem so hard to do. I wouldn't mind bringing it current with the index and starting it up again it looks like even after I dropped away in 2017/18 it continued to surface occasionally.

Rensslaer

p.s. And yes, it appears you and some others were responsible for trying to keep it up. Thank you!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you Renss. :) I remember MrT well, but I can't say I ever had much direct contact with him other than being part of the AAR discussions of course. It felt like a definite change when we learned we lost him, though. On that note, I wish we were better at keeping the MrT awAARd for old and treasured AARs alive, the one you founded. :) Link for those interested: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-mrt-memorial-aar-veterans-showcase.834512/
Hmmm... @Nikolai well, that doesn't seem so hard to do. I wouldn't mind bringing it current with the index and starting it up again it looks like even after I dropped away in 2017/18 it continued to surface occasionally.

Rensslaer

p.s. And yes, it appears you and some others were responsible for trying to keep it up. Thank you!
I’d forgotten about that thread! Bit of a horror clicking on it to find posts of mine from when I was a 16 year old… :D

Would be very in favour of bringing it back.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
If I wish I could vote for this, I'd also have voted for you Nikolai! A longstanding beacon in this community, you're perfect for this nomination, my sincere congratulations @Nikolai !

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Nikolai DESERVES THIS AWARD

If I wish I could vote for this, I'd also have voted for you Nikolai! A longstanding beacon in this community, you're perfect for this nomination, my sincere congratulations @Nikolai !
Thanks both! (and others I might have forgot to thank, you guys are popping up everywhere and I am really thankful to you all! :D )

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hearty congratulations @Nikolai! There are only a few people I'd consider for this awAARd, and you are certainly one of them!