• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Time to pass this on...

My nomination is @Bullfilter and Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR). Although an intriguing blend of gameplay, history and occasionally narrative, his background characters come across vividly - and without reams of text dedicated to them. For Humphronius Obscurus, a very funny homage to Yes Minister, he is a deserving recipient of this award.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Time to pass this on...

My nomination is @Bullfilter and Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR). Although an intriguing blend of gameplay, history and occasionally narrative, his background characters come across vividly - and without reams of text dedicated to them. For Humphronius Obscurus, a very funny homage to Yes Minister, he is a deserving recipient of this award.
Why thank you - I take that as high praise coming from a consummate character writer such as you, @Le Jones! And Humphronius would probably (with smarmy and smug false modesty) offer "the most appreciative thanks for recognising the humble merits and service of one who describes himself by use of the Perpendicular Pronoun!" :D

For those interested, another chapter, which features Humphronius (comparatively) extensively and triumphantly, will be going up soon. :)

Reactions:
For those interested, another chapter, which features Humphronius (comparatively) extensively and triumphantly, will be going up soon. :)
This is good, because if a certain annoying character doesn't suffer some sort of tragic accident I will start a petition to have you stripped of this award as punishment! ( ;) :D )

More seriously, congratulations sir. As the Consuls come and go, it is those 'background' civil servants who are the real protagonists and they are excellent characters.

Reactions:
This is good, because if a certain annoying character doesn't suffer some sort of tragic accident I will start a petition to have you stripped of this award as punishment! ( ;) :D )

More seriously, congratulations sir. As the Consuls come and go, it is those 'background' civil servants who are the real protagonists and they are excellent characters.
Thanks mate! As for Davidius Brentatius: as the Python crew once said in another comedic context "Patience is a great British virtue; not to be wasted on the likes of <insert loathed stereotype, or in this case Brentatius>." Who knows, his comeuppance could be in the very next episode (already plotted out and half written), later - or never! :p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Congratulations @Bullfilter . Though I haven't gotten around to reading Civis Romanus, I'm sure the characters are just as good as those of Talking Turkey.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Once again I offer my thanks to @Le Jones for the nomination and for those who have since offered their congratulations. I will pass this on to an authAAR with a storied Paradox Forum record which predates mine and who has returned to writing again recently. Their story Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR is full of rich and interesting characters, including a High Priest who infamously cuckolds his sovereign, sparking a bloody civil war!

The AAR is compact and easy to read through from start to finish, which it just reached this last week and looks to be set to convert over to EU4 to maintain the story. Congrat to @Tommy4ever, character writer of the week!

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Once again I offer my thanks to @Le Jones for the nomination and for those who have since offered their congratulations. I will pass this on to an authAAR with a storied Paradox Forum record which predates mine and who has returned to writing again recently. Their story Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR is full of rich and interesting characters, including a High Priest who infamously cuckolds his sovereign, sparking a bloody civil war!

The AAR is compact and easy to read through from start to finish, which it just reached this last week and looks to be set to convert over to EU4 to maintain the story. Congrat to @Tommy4ever, character writer of the week!

Thank you Bullfilter! It always feels fantastic to be recognised by the AAR community, and I’m glad you felt me a worthy winner.

Its been a long time since I was a regular writer here, so much so that I first one this award 10 years ago and the last time 7 years ago, but I’ve always found a lot of joy in bringing the stories and character these games create for us to life. It’s nice to be back in the saddle, and to see that people are enjoying what I have written.

I’ll make sure to do some extra reading this week as I look for a successor!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Its time for me to pass on this award, and there was only one choice for me - @DensleyBlair. His ludicrously rich and detailed Echoes of a New Tomorrow is bursting with wonderful characters - none more well developed than the main man himself, Oswald Mosley.

Step on up Densley, you are, once again, the Best Character Writer of the Week!