• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Here we are with the actual reason that most of us are here. The playing of the game and the retelling of it in memorable fashion. It is done in many ways and may use multiple styles and as such, there were quite a few AARs nominated here. 28 total in fact, and crossing over into nearly every game. That said, this year there was clearly a champion and none of us could possibly compete. First place through third place were won by the same writAAR and so from now on I'm simply going to refer to him as the BWB (old school EU players will understand that title.) Let's get to the reveal.

Your 2021 Gameplay AAR of the Year is...

And the silver goes to...

And then the bronze...

Many, many congratulations to the Big White Blob! :p Seriously, very well deserved @Bullfilter and on all three. All three titles are beloved and have shown throughout these votes not just this year but in years past and across many genres. The other 25 could not come close, well...these next two nearly got there...

Yet another vote was missing (and perhaps yet another AAR to work on.) The rest of the nominations by order of the vote were:

God Willing and the Creek Do Rise by @coz1

The DumpstAAR Fire Republic - A TNO Komi AAR by @Alex Kamal

Mini France AAR - a struggle against the odds by @Alex Kernel

One Heart, One Soul, One Mind, One Goal: A Republic of China HPP AAR by @RustyHunter

A Gentleman's War :The Middle-East Command (HoI3 TFH - UK AAR) by @Eurasia

Stardancers - A Federations AAR by @RossN

Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia

France: Operational Hail Mary (AAR) (HOI3: TFH) (No Mods) by @Mortal Phoenix

Memoirs of an Executor - A Necrophage Nemesis AAR by @Nikolai

The Fall of Empires - AH WW1 AAR by @Lautipus

Stellaris Wars: A Nemesis Ironman Saga by @Arithmetician

Imperial Cheese: The Improbably Incredible Rise of the Italian Empire by @TheButterflyComposer

Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy by @slothinator

Avon Las Observes by @Midnite Duke

Yabuntu Iriphubliki - A Zulu AAR by @CBR JGWRR

The Balkan Crucible: An Axis Yugoslavia AAR by @The Living Hive

The Legacy of Uhtred (A Bamburgh AAR) by @Dunaden

Belgium- Resist and Bite (TFH) (No Mods) by @Mortal Phoenix

Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B

Wings of Faith, Wings of Fury - A Slavic Pagan Revival AAR by @Superstorm

Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR) by @Bullfilter

Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR by @JerseyGiants88

The Story of House von Trier - A Rags to Riches AAR by @Sultan Augustus Khan

Well done to each and every writAAR and work listed here as it is an honor to be given such a valued nomination (and thank you to those that remembered and voted on Creek!) At least one if not more chose your AAR to single out and that alone is a supreme compliment. We just have to try harder (and give up our lives to work on 57 different AARs at once. ;) ) Congrats to you all and thank you to the voters from all of AARland.

Now you may give your own thanks, congrats and offer up discussions of the works should you wish. I've released two today so wait for tomorrow for the Historybook winner. Yet another close race (and at least spread out a bit more. :p ;))

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A well deserved triple victory for @Bullfilter . He continues to set the tone on several sub-forums at a time. I'm of course quite pleased that 'Odin' has clenched the fourth place, it's best position yet. I guess I'm doing something right... This only encourages me to keep going with this gargantuan undertaking 'Odin' has become.

Congratulations to all the nominees, and thanks to all those who put in their votes.

• 7Like
Reactions:
And it's @Bullfilter with the grand sweep, or imperial flush... or whatever it's called. I don't play card games. :p Either way, many congratulations to @Bullfilter and all of the writAARs who made this list! Pat yourselves on the back, you've earned it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm rather pleased Ged got nominated for gameplay, as that was, in the end, the point of the exercise. Then again, I think we all swiftly decided not to think too much about how CK3 actually works...

Congrats to all winners!

• 4Like
Reactions:
An excellent and well deserved hattrick!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wow! So, should we change Paradox Forum to Bullfilter Forum? :D

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Wow! So, should we change Paradox Forum to Bullfilter Forum? :D
Not certain on that, but I do have an idea that BWB aka Bullfilter would at least bring CK3 over to our full ranks. ;) We should be so lucky to have such a caretaker. :)

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to Bullfilter and his team of trained emus, a most impressive result. And to Rovers3 who is taking his fourth place with typical charm and grace when he could have argued 2nd place should be disqualified due to the title being blatantly untrue. ;)

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Astonishing work this year, @Bullfilter. You write far faster than I can possibly keep up, but TT is perhaps the AAR of the decade and I’m sure the other two are of comparably fine quality.

Many congratulations to all others nominated. Good work all round.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Gulp! I really wasn’t expecting that, though I’d hoped TT might go ok … thank you so very much to all who voted for my works and everyone else’s. Congratulations too to all nominees in the category, what a wonderful range of excellent work. Thanks of course for the inestimable @coz1 for herding all us cats together and running these: you are an “ornament to the game”, as they say in sporting circles. :) <3

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congrats Bullfilter, your clean sweep is well deserved! Further congrats to all the other nominees, it's just stiff competition with the pack of emus on the case. (Is pack acceptable for a group of emus? I imagine there's a fun word for them)

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the votes folks, and congratulations to all winnAARs, especially Bullfilter!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wow - congrats to everyone here, but especially @Bullfilter - where do you find the time??? Great job!
Having retired helps. :D From a job that involved a lot of analytical writing, so it’s a bit of post-work ‘therapy’ to keep me occupied. Doesn’t stop me from playing for four different cricket teams in the summer, though. A semi-final today (rain permitting)!

• 2Like
Reactions:
<the onslaught of congratulations continues. Part 2>
1646697962050.jpeg
1646697970888.jpeg
1646697980295.jpeg
1646699894836.jpeg
1646698075889.jpeg
1646698127890.jpeg
1646698136292.jpeg
1646698144265.jpeg
1646698152291.jpeg
1646698186531.jpeg
1646698195193.jpeg
1646698203945.jpeg
1646698215309.jpeg
1646698228937.jpeg
1646701322151.jpeg
1646698240247.jpeg
1646698498621.jpeg
1646698507744.jpeg
1646698569468.jpeg
1646698579930.jpeg

In the order of appearance
{rows 1, 2, 6, 7} [1]
Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge, LucasArts, 1991
{row 3} [2]
Another World, Delphine Software, 1991
{row 4}

{column 1} [3] Bubba'n'Stix, Core Design, 1994
{column 2} [4] Colonization, officially by Sid Meier, but actually by Brian Reynolds, MicroProse, 1994
{column 3} [5] Dune II: Battle For Arrakis, Westwood Studios, 1993
{column 4} [6] Reunion, Amnesty Design, 1994
{row 5}
{column 1} [7] The Settlers, officially Die Siedler, Blue Byte, 1993
{column 2} [8] Myth: The Fallen Lords, Bungie, 1997
{column 3} [9] Call of Duty 2, Infinity Ward, 2005

Link: The Death Scene Music, Shadow of the Beast 2, Reflections, 1990

Additional edit-note: In case not noticed; there are *twenty (20) images used in the post, abiding the old-school forum rule of do not exceed twenty (20) images per post.
*Added the missing image. Lol.

Last edited:
  • 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@filcat you're one of a kind! Some good old games there, though I didn't play all of them. Before that, I was right into the old SPI and Strategy & Tactics boardgames. Plus D&D when it first came out in the old paperback booklets, played on graph paper with pencil. Ah, them's were the days! :D

• 2Like
Reactions: