• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lautipus

First Lieutenant
26 Badges
May 8, 2017
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Darkest Hour
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
Austro-Hungarian Empire
Started 27th of July 2021
Mod: The Great War Redux [Beta]
Default settings
Goal: To ensure the survival and prosperity for the dual monarchy
Style: a bit narrative, technical etc. my style, for those who read my hoi3 AAR

I. Chapter: Burden from the past
May 1910 - January 1912

2.png

His majesty with his majestic mustache

Franz Joseph to his diary
"Today was a beautiful day in spring. The world is much different now as when I was crowned. Most certainly life was not easier in 1848 with those revolutions. Thankfully the tsar army came to aid. But that alliance is long gone, perhaps I should have helped the Russian empire in the Crimean war. Still it would not outweigh the interests that it has in the Balkans. The Balkans, what a mess it is. So many small and unimportant countries like Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria. Those do not pose a threat unless the Russians walk in. Luckily the Triple alliance assures that such things as the war of 1866 will not repeat. Funny how my old enemies, Kingdom of Italy and the German empire, are now my true allies. When I became Kaiser, there was none of those countries. Germany was a mess which was united, the same goes for Italy. Perhaps France had it rougher than any other nation in my life time. Thankfully the world is at peace and the empire is united"

1.png

Austria-Hungary on map with it's neighbors

The empire's industry leaves much to be desired, never the less, it is producing the newest guns as well as a dreadnought battleship!​
4.png
5.png

"Mein kaiser!!"
"Yes Conrad" replied the king and emperor.
"Have you heard the latest news?"
"No, what is it?"
Conrad von Hotzendorf laughs and brings the newspaper to his majesty. "Here, check it out yourself."
"On the 15th of July..." Franz Jospeh reads quietly."Maybe the archduke could try something like this, but you know, the flight shouldn't end like this in the newspaper"
6.png

"Why do you hate him so much?" asked Conrad.
"He married bellow his class even though I warned him multiple times."
"That's why you made his children not eligible for the throne?"
"Yes," and he continued "It would be like putting a normal soldier in shoes of a general. How suitable would this be?"
"Not suitable at all. With..." Franz Joseph interrupted the Fieldmarshal "You must always have the right person doing the right job, I know"

The imperial and royal army - k.u.k army, is composed of the k.u.k. Heereskomando, with Conrad in charge of 5 armies as shown below. Beside that the young Karl von Habsburg holds charge of Besonderekomando with the Alpenarmee and Kavaleriearmee.
9.png

Comanders of each army
7.png

10.png

In January of 1911 the k.u.k Armed forces had a meeting on the allocation of resources. Due a general crisis, not much could be offer. Since there was no sign of any armed conflict it was concluded that the navy should get the resources in confirming the construction of 2 more Tegetthoff class dreadnoughts, totaling in 3.

The construction of a Tegetthoff dreadnought

The production will start as soon as every other ship will be built.
15 production 28 februar.png

In February 1911 Mexico fell into chaos
14_prvi februar.png

The emperor and king already forgot about this revolution as he was enjoying hunting during the summer.
24.png

His majesty, his majestic mustache and a majestic trophy

Meanwhile the imperial dockyard way busy at work producing 3 of the finest ships
16 production jun 1.png

On the 17th of September, not only the world, also the emperor was shocked by the Italian aggression in Libya. He was assured that this will no escalate into a war for the empire as Italy started an offensive war.
17 2 sept1911.png

With the Xinhai revolution in October, the emperor ordered the army to be supplied and equipped with only the best and newest equipment.
18 31 10 1911.png

His wishes materialized shortly after as the stockpile shows for the 31st of December 1911
20 3 1 1912.png

But there were not only worries on the emperor's and king's mind as his grand nephew, Karl von Habsburg, got married to a decent woman. He personally gave a toast and his blessings to the young couple.
31.png

Some specific information about the industrial and naval might of Austria-Hungary
23.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting. :) Good luck with the Austro-Hungarian menace challenge!

You’re back! And in a new game but familiar setting, I see. Franz Joseph is really out of place in the 20th century, but he must do what he can. All those new battleships - who is he planning to use them against, I wonder?

Interesting. :) Good luck with the Austro-Hungarian menace challenge!
Thank you! Indeed we shall see what will become of it :)
You’re back! And in a new game but familiar setting, I see. Franz Joseph is really out of place in the 20th century, but he must do what he can. All those new battleships - who is he planning to use them against, I wonder?
You are spot on! But I have a couple of reasons for this.
1. I like the concept of ww1
2. Haven't seen any ww1 AAR recently
3. I lost the pictures on my old AARs so I am remaking this one
4. Both my great grandfathers fought in ww1, one served from the beginning of the war on the eastern front - Galicia, the other was mobilized in 1917 just to take part in the bloodiest battle on the Isonzo front. So with this I am paying homage to them both and all the others who fought this senseless war.

Perhaps you are right, the kaiser and könig is out of place but on the other hand he is a father like figure to the people and they do like him.
For the ships, it is just a fashion trend that the empire can not ignore since all great countries of Europe are doing it and for sure AH is one of them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
II. Chapter: The arming race is on
January 1912 - January 1913

It was time for the imperial and royal army to have it's biannual war games. Usually this event would take place in spring, but the kaiser and king ordered it immediately as wars do not wait for good weather. Hotzendorf carried out the order, Karl did it too.
2 3 2 1912.png

Spring of 1912 was not kind. The Italian-Turkish war was still raging on. Meanwhile in the Russian empire internal matters are getting more serious. The authorities should have acted different!
3 7 2 1912.png

Austria-Hungary was perhaps a victim of terrorism, as a big fire erupted in a military factory, which was burnt to the ground!
4 23 2 1912.png

The hottest news, all over the World, was definitely the sinking of Titanic with a death toll over 1500. May they rest in peace!
6 16 4 1912.png

The emperor having a talk with his secretary, a certain Miklos Horthy, about recent events.
"Tell me Miklos, you worked as a diplomat in Turkey, do you have any news relating with them, the Balkan league etc.?"
"I do, sire. The old strong Turkey, whom your predecessor fought multiple times, is gone. It is just a mess, the sultan is nothing more than an official figure with barely any influence while different groups are trying to grasp power. For the Balkan league I fear they are up to no good, my majesty."
The emperor surprised "I see that you are very up to date and confident in what you know. How so?".
"Well, I do not solely rely with the secret service, I have also other sources I like to check,"
"I see. Well what about Titanic, such a tragic story. What did go wrong there?"
"On this note I have only theories as it is too early to draw any conclusion. Most likely it was a human error or a sequence of those which led to the tragedy. Maybe it was just bad luck or poor leadership as a whole. Hard to pin point, as I said."
"People can tell that you worked as a diplomat, your answer was a diplomatic one. But now I would like the truth from you as I ask this next question. What chances do we have in a naval conflict?"
"I am afraid I do not understand your question" said Horthy surprised and continued "we have no enemies, not officially."
"Come on Miklos, I am talking about the Italians of course, whom else are we supposed to engage with our navy?"
"My majesty, but we are in an alliance with them, they have signed the..."
Franz Joseph interrupts him "We signed a piece of paper that we honor as long as it fits us, nothing more. Remember this, I am talking of my own experience. So I want my answer now."
"According to the internal analysis of k.u.k. Kriegsmarine, currently we are on pair, our guns and metallurgy is superior, and should win. But they are building more ships than we are and in the case that they merge all their ships together in the future and engage is, the outcome wouldn't be good for us."
"So you are saying that we need more ships and you were probably going to ask me to build an additional Tegetthoff."
Horthy stands there with his mouth opened, without anything to say.
"Ferdinand asked me this, I know that you two go well together. It is true, I do not like him, but this does not mean that I don't accept his proposals. I will have the papers ready by next week. I entrust you with taking care with everything else."
"I will, my majesty. This is splendid news."
"Miklos" said the emperor and king "one more thing, you pick the name for the ship."

9.png

By the end of May, Miklos fulfilled his part and the keel of SMS Szent Istvan was being laid down. This is to be the 4th dreadnought battleship for the k.u.k kriegsmarine.
10 22 5 1912.png

As Horthy predicted, sometime in summer 1912, the Balkan League declared war on the Ottoman empire.
11 10 6 1912.png

As soon as the emperor got news on it, he ordered the army to be deployed on the Serbian border. The IV. Armee located in Sarajevo was sent there alongside Besonderekomando.
12.png

The situation doesn't look good for the Ottomans after almost 1 month of fighting
13 1 7 1912.png

Hotzendorf walks into the office of his majesty. "You called for me, my majesty."
"Yes Conrad, please have a seat." The emperor waits for Conrad to sit before continuing "Tell me, what would happen if Serbia declared war on us without any warning?"
"Probably they would advance a bit before the IV. Armee would deploy there, push them back in about 1 month we would have conquered them."
"What if the IV. Armee wouldn't be able to break through?"
Conrad answers in disbelief "I feel confident in our forces but in theory if they couldn't break through, I would assign an additional army, most likely the III. Armee."
"What if then somebody else would attack, like Germany or Italy."
"My majesty, how dare you doubt in our allies?"
"Answer my question, Hotzendorf." Franz Joseph shut his general off.
"I would order all remaining troops there and await for the army in Serbia to come back before unleashing a final blow to both Italy and Germany"
"But we would be thinly stretched, wouldn't we?"
"Yes, Mostly I would worry about Germany, the Italian front wouldn't require that many troops and also they are Italians, they are not soldiers."
"Thank you, Conrad. I will grant your old wish and mobilize more divisions that are to be kept in reserve."
"Thank you, my majesty!"

17 14 8 1912.png

The promised divisions in training.

Nobody payed much attention to the international news on the 6th of August as there was an assassination attempt on the American president.
16 6 8 1912.png

In Astria-Hungary the news were talking about the visit of the German kaiser, Wilhelm II.
1212.png

"Tell me Joseph, this was no chance meeting?"
"Indeed, of course the newspapers will write about something that we wouldn't even discuss"
"As they always do. Tell me, what is the matter?"
"Wilhelm, I am old, maybe I will die tomorrow or maybe I will live 10 more years. When I am gone, there is little I can do, so now is the time for me to...."
The talk was about loyalty between the 2 countries. The German kaiser assured him that their alliance is an alliance of blood and nothing could tear it apart. They also discussed about the ongoing 1. Balkan war. They were predicting the outcome.

21132112212.png

SMS Viribus Unitis undergoing it's first sea trials in mid November.

To inprove relations with the fighting nations, his majesty ordered Steyr to send 3000 of it's finest rifles, the M95 in December as a gift to the tsardom of Bulgaria
19 20 12 1912.png

Austria-Hungary is slowly improving it's industrial potential.
Screenshot 2021-07-29 173638.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
By the end of May, Miklos fulfilled his part and the keel of SMS Szent Istvan was being laid down.
It was always going to be called that :D
"My majesty, how dare you doubt in our allies?"
"Answer my question, Hotzendorf." Franz Joseph shut his general off.
This is one arrogant general: you don’t talk to the k.u.k. like that!:eek:
"I would order all remaining troops there and await for the army in Serbia to come back before unleashing a final blow to both Italy and Germany"
And rashly overconfident too. His ’reward’ should have been command of a militia battalion in Transylvania! :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
A WWI AAR looks interesting, especially since it is a much more 'balanced' war than WWII is. Is this mod developed by the same people as HOI3's since it looks very good?

• 2Like
Reactions:
That is one cocky general.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It was always going to be called that :D

This is one arrogant general: you don’t talk to the k.u.k. like that!:eek:

And rashly overconfident too. His ’reward’ should have been command of a militia battalion in Transylvania! :D
True about the naming of the ship, I hoped I made it more interesting that way.
Haha
Your proposal is excelent but fate, so far, is on Hotzendorf's side
A WWI AAR looks interesting, especially since it is a much more 'balanced' war than WWII is. Is this mod developed by the same people as HOI3's since it looks very good?
I totally agree, yet for the mode I am not sure as there are many in hoi4 (the great war - is outdated, great war redux beta -the one I am using, endsieg - it has also ww1 in it's scenarios)
For sure the ww1 from hoi3 had an influence eventhough some aspects are new in hoi4 :)
That is one cocky general.
Indeed, yet his stats more than compensate for this :p

• 2Like
Reactions:
III. Chapter: Rising tensions
January 1913 - January 1914

3 11 2 1913.png

The kaiser and könig issued a deceleration in which some means of production were to be requisitioned by the state. The effect of laborious people was shown as merely after 3 months from the completion of SMS Viribus unitis, SMS Tegetthoff and SMS Prinz Eugen are scheduled to be completed by March.

2 24 1 1913.png

One snowy night in December
»Miklos, I will be Frank with you, ships are to me like the flying machines, what they are called? I always forget«
»Airplanes, your majesty« replied Horthy.
»Yes, airplanes. Well I do not know much about them. But I like you and I trust in the navy. I am sure you have studied about the battle of Lissa and know after whom the ship class was named?« pointing out on the blueprint.

Screenshot 2021-07-31 162107.png

»Yes, your majesty, I know all about that battle and how Viceadmiral Tegetthoff even rammed the enemy and won even though he was outnumbered.«
»I was not doubting that. As you have said, our odds do not look promising. But I will make sure that Vienna and Budapest allow for 2 of the Super Tegetthoff class ships to be built, one one condition.«
»What is the condition, mein könig?«
»You are to command the current Tegethoff battleships and to show that you are a worthy successor of him, when a chance arises.«
»I will try my best, your majesty« answered Horthy
»I know you will Miklos, I know….«

Even before SMS Tegethoff and SMS Prinz Eugen were finished. The dockyards was enlarged as the Übertegetthoff was 40 m longer. The day after launch of SMS Tegetthoff, the contruction of SMS Wien and SMS Budapest commenced. The remaining work on Prinz Eugen was carried out at sea.
5 17 3 1913.png

tabela.png

Characteristics of the real life Tegetthoff and a simulated "Super Tegetthoff" in Ultimate admiral: dreadnought

Screenshot 2021-07-31 162222.png

3D from the above mentioned game

Also in march, the reserve army was founded under the command of Viktor von Krasnik. 10 divisions were awaiting.
4 18 2 1913.png

The situation in the Balkans seemed to be stable as the London treaty was signed on the 31st of March
7 31 3 1913.png

The borders by the London treaty
8 1 4 1913.png

By the recommendation of multiple politicians, Franz Joseph authorized the diplomatic pressure on Serbia even though von Hotzendrof would have declared war multiple times, as he proposed. But luckily the archduke was the voice of reason and k.u.k. had to agree with him even if he disliked Franz Ferdinand.
9 .png

The new borders as Serbia accepted the proposal.
10.png

I. and II. Armee were deployed on the Russian border as enemy troops started massing up. This had the k.u.k worried. Luckily it stayed just at starring, even though the Russians did not like our pressure on Serbia.

11 5 5 1913.png

In June, the Balkan powder keg exploded again as the second Balkan war kicked off.
12 8 6 1913.png

The kaiser ordered the reserve army to be split between existing armies and a new reserve army to be created from new recruits.
15 12 7 1913.png

»Your majesty, you asked for me?«
»Yes Conrad, please assess me the situation in the Balkans.«
»Well, it is mostly dispute on how to divide land that led to a new war between former allies. To be honest, Bulgaria has slim chances to win, if Romania joins as it is rumored, they are doomed.«
»I see, what if we were in Bulgaria's situation being attacked by all sides, except Germany, how would we fare?«
»To be honest, your majesty, my staff and me included presume that the Russian border alone would require all our current strength to hold off.«
»So, we would be as Bulgaria, being squashed?«
»Most likely, your majesty.«
The k.u.k. took a piece of paper out of his drawer, signed and sealed it and gave it to the k.u.k. army field marshal
»Here, I issue the increase of division size. After all this is what you proposed some time ago.«
»I did« a smile draw on Hotzendorf face.
18 4 8 1913.png

An additional 240k more soldiers are to be mobilized to increase the strength of the k.u.k. army. The paper also had a point where the amount of the reserve army was increased by 50%. So from 10 to 15 divisions.
20.png

The 2nd Balkan war ended in a month, as Bulgaria got defeated by all of the neighbors.
14 1 7 1913.png

21 29 12 1913.png

Franz Ferdinand walks into k.u.k. office.
»Uncle Joseph?«
»Come in, nephew. What brings you here?«
»Bad news, I am afraid. There has been an another sabotage attempt in the southern part of the empire in November alone.«
»Any people got killed or injured?«
»Luckily not, but I don't get it, why you do not let the south Slav be as equal to Austrians and Hungarians, this would solve a lot of problems.«
»Or create even more. As I told you, the Hungarians will not accept this, also what would fellow Austrians think of it.«
»Who do you care for? For your own image and looking good in the eyes of people you want or for the good of all the people of the empire« The archduke stepped on the nerve of Franz Joseph.
»You will not lecture me on how to rule.« The k.u.k in raised voice. »I gave so much fort his empire, my whole life I am serving it. Get out now and never dare doubt my choices« the k.u.k. tried to finish his sentence as the archduke already left.
The k.u.k. sat on his bed, his eyes were getting wet as he looked at a portrait of his wife.
»Sisi, will I never be good enough?«

Screenshot 2021-07-31 225559.png

Some numbers

Screenshot 2021-07-31 222751.png
Screenshot 2021-07-31 222819.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
FF vs the K.u.K! Is there the opportunity to tell FF not to go to Sarajevo in the summer of 1914?

• 1Like
Reactions:
FF vs the K.u.K! Is there the opportunity to tell FF not to go to Sarajevo in the summer of 1914?
Maybe if somebody invented a time machine?! But there would be the time traveling paradox to solve.

I somehow missed that this got updated, but I'm glad I checked! Is there any possibility of the Balkan Wars going differently? The Ottomans need to lose the 1st or else WWI might not happen, and I think Bulgaria has a hopeless position in the 2nd.

I somehow missed that this got updated, but I'm glad I checked! Is there any possibility of the Balkan Wars going differently? The Ottomans need to lose the 1st or else WWI might not happen, and I think Bulgaria has a hopeless position in the 2nd.
No worries, I am glad you did. :)
Well both Balkan wars were historic in results. So Bulgaria of course lost, it was inevitable if you are to fight on all fronts alone. The only thing that was not historic, but I haven't showed it since there were other things, was the Italian conquest of Libya. It failed, the Ottomans held, but when the 1. Balkan war kicked off, there was a notification of white peace from Turkey to Italy, so the Italian's got control. It seems that this mode is quite strict with scripted deals.
I will try to post a new chapter today.

• 1Like
Reactions:
IV. Chapter: An meiner Volker/To my people
January 1914 - July 1914

As a result of different sabotages in the past year, the archduke advocated for new laws to be implemented. The kaiser and king was reluctant as he knew how stubborn and proud the Hungarians are. Franz Ferdinand discussed about this with his friend, Miklos Horthy.
"Miklos, tell me, why is it, that your parliament doesn't pass laws where non-Hungarians would have equal rights to anybody else in the empire?"
"I suppose it has to do with our history. We were for a long time a prominent nation, but later we were just a shadow of you Austrians until 1867."
"I get it, but national pride should be moderate, not exaggerated. A person is a person, regardless of his origins. Just look at you, the closest thing, ethnically, you Hungarians have to the sea is lake Balaton or the Danube. Yet you are commanding 3 brand new battleships with a 4th on it's away, alongside some screens."
"indeed I do find this quite interesting and well, the same would apply to you Austrians as well."
The archduke laughed and said "You are right, we neither have any sea. The people that live near the Adriatic coast though should be equal to us, don't you think?"
"I have a chance at working with some of them and to me, they are just like normal people. You have some that you like, some to whom you are indifferent and some that you would like to throw overboard. So yeah, I do agree."
"Glad that we are on the same side about this. Talking about work, when is SMS Szent Istvan to be finished?"
"Second week of March. Why?"
"Would you take cruising passengers?"
"Only if I get an order from the k.u.k. himself." smiled Miklos.
"I can arrange that. Anyway I have to go now and prepare my proposals for the both parliaments"

Franz Ferdinand presented his proposals to both the Austrian and Hungarian parliament, both voted for it. As he was getting ready to get in his room at Budapest, the k.u.k. himself approached the archduke.
"Ferdinand, I must say that I am speechless. Was not expecting that the Hungarians would legislate such laws."
"Thank you uncle. I am trying my best for the empire, as you are."
"Perhaps I was wrong about you, nephew. Would you mind making this old man some company?"
"With pleasure, just let me inform Sophie first."
"Oh women, sometimes I got the feeling that they rule instead of us man"
The k.u.k. and archduke had a nice evening where they settled up their differences.

apmjv0D_460s.jpg

The archduke and k.u.k. and their royal mustaches

SMS Szent Istvan was launched and assigned in command to Miklos Horthy. The SMS Wien and SMS Budapest were being built as scheduled.
4 X 4 1914.png

6.png

According to the archduke new legislation, the k.u.k. was considering lowering the mobilization status of the army as there were no internal or external threats or events from December to May. The amount of soldiers in the field was considerable.
3 13 2 1914.png

The k.u.k. wrote an order for admiral Horthy in which he ordered Miklos, to take the archduke and his wife on a cruise from Pola to Dubrovnik as the archduke is to visit Sarajevo in end of June. Horthy ordered rooms to be made and to clean the ship thoroughly. The ship is SMS Szent Istvan.

Szent_Istvan.jpg

SMS SZent Istvan building up steam, awaiting departure in Pola

As the archduke came aboard, Horthy gave salute and said "Welcome aboard your highness, the cruise ship SMS Szent Istvan and all of the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine are at your service!"
Ferdinand returned the salute to Miklos, commenting "I told you I can make it happen. So shall we start?"
"Of course" answered Horthy and issued order to his subordinate. "Would you like to have a tour of the ship?"
"Of course," answered Ferdinand who looked at Sophie and asked if she is fine with it. She confirmed.

The royal couple reached Dubrovnik by the 27th of June, from where they traveled to Sarajevo, where the visit is scheduled on the 28th.
franz-ferdinand-sophie-assassination-1.jpg

Last picture of the archduke and his wife, shortly before being killed

5.png

The news shocked everybody. Nobody saw it coming. The army was set to high alert. The reserve army was dispatched into the field.
15.png

8.png

Hotzendorf proposed to declare war and avenge the archduke. Luckily the k.u.k. he listened to more reasonable suggestions. The k.u.k. was devastated by the assassination. Not so long ago, he would see this as a blessing. Kaiser Wilhelm II expressed his condolences to the Austro-Hungarian people and Franz Joseph. Secretly he also confirmed that Germany will support it's ally in whatever it needs to do. No such guarantee was sent by the kingdom of Italy. The german guarantee was the last nail in the coffin for Serbia as the ultimatum was sent to the kingdom of Serbia. The k.u.k. army was deployed on the Serbian, Montenegrin and Russian border.

Serbian leader was let go, as the k.u.k. is a fair ruler.
10 17 7 1914.png

Eventually Serbia refused to accept all points in the ultimatum, so they refused it, as it was predicted.
12 28 7 1914.png

As he received this news, the kaiser and king ordered his manifesto to be released to address the people of the empire.
(if you want you can read it, the text below is a link)

To my people!

So, the war to secure peace, was initiated!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Oh dear...this is not going to end well...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Who will war and revolution sweep away in this alternate time line? I think Russia could be in some trouble with a ‘guiding hand’ directing the efforts of Austria-Hungary.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Who will war and revolution sweep away in this alternate time line? I think Russia could be in some trouble with a ‘guiding hand’ directing the efforts of Austria-Hungary.
Also, Franz Josef is old. Will perhaps the plans of the archduke for the reorganization of the empire be implemented by his successor?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Also, Franz Josef is old. Will perhaps the plans of the archduke for the reorganization of the empire be implemented by his successor?
I think we may have missed a trick ensuring the Arch Duke survived and went on to lead the empire. Something else would have triggered war in the balkans before long...everyone wanted to go to war by that point.

Maybe even have the assassination go off as it did otl, just without the last step of one of them randomly getting lucky and shooting them both?

• 1Like
Reactions:
V. Chapter: So it begins
August 1914

Information about k.u.k. Army
1628533989471.png

Events led up Austria-Hungary to declare war on the kingdom of Serbia. The military operation code named Abrechnung (revenge), started already on the 28th of July with an intensive bombardment all over the front. It must be said that Hotzendorf correctly assumed that Montenegro will side with Serbia and took up arms.

1.png

Kaiser Wilhelm II did honor his word, which pleased Franz Joseph just as he got news by the Russian diplomat. The tsar accused the k.u.k. of expansionism, neglect for other nations and he swore by the God, that he will punish AH for this.
3.png

It was not just empty words by the tsar, as the weekly reports suggest from the 1. and 2. Army.
4.png

Army report for the 1st week of August
I. Armee: The Russian are pushing hard on Krakow, which has me worried as they have a numerical advantage locally. They are also attacking towards Przemysl, but all of those attacks are in vain.

II. Armee: The Russians outnumber us and are attacking all over the front. For now we still hold on, the fact that Montenegro has capitulated is a good sign as when Serbia falls, we will get reinforcements. To be honest, we would need them already. Don't know why the III. Armee is in reserve.

III. Armee: The soldiers are upset as they are the only ones not fighting. Being in reserve does not make any sense since we have the reserve army for that which is the same size as us.

IV. Armee: The Serbs are putting up a fight, must say but we outnumber and outclass them. Slowly we are progressing in their kingdom, so that we avenge the archduke.

V. Armee: The Danube and Sava river are almost an impenetrable obstacles. The main focus is the attack on Belgrade which is being bombarded day and night.

Alpenarmee: The enemy offered little resistance and surrendered soon. Now we are racing to gain ground before the Serbs do. Our job is to strike into the weak Serbian side, also the hilly terrain is in our favour as we are trained to fight in it.

5 2 8.png

"Congratulations Conrad on taking out Montenegro," said the k.u.k.
"Actually, the army there is led by non other than the new archduke, you majesty."
"Is that so?" asked k.u.k. pleasantly surprised. "Is he talented?"
"Perhaps, but it is too soon to make any conclusions, mein kaiser, Montenegro was poorly prepared for war."
"I see. What about the Russians?"
"The Russians are attacking all over our line, but our army holds for now. But I would really like for fieldmarshal von Teschen to deploy the 3. army."
"No, it has to be in reserve as the Italians and Romanians have not yet declared what they will do."
"But what is the point of the reserve army, so that we must keep another army in reserve?"
"It is not big enough, not yet. Also your concern is to win the war, not to carry about mobilization and politics, Conrad."
"Yes, your highness, you are right."

Army report for the 2nd week of August
I. Armee: The Russian offensive is still going on, the situation is manegable, though they really want to capture Krakow.

II. Armee: The situation is serious, the Russians are attacking is constantly. Was denied any reinforcements due to »strategical« reasons, my divisions are exhausted in general. We should try our best fort he kaiser und könig!

III. Armee: Rudolf asked for my assistance in eastern Galicia but von Teschen didn't allow it. My troops are getting bored, yet discipline is high.

IV. Armee: We reached the western outskirt of Belgrade, we have to cooperate with the V. Armee attack from the north. Progress is low, morale is relatively high as we are attacking the enemy capital.

V. Armee: No progress, but the advance of the IV. Armee gives as hope as Belgrade is now under attack from 2 sides.

Alpenarmee: We managed to take all of Montenegro, now we are facing the Serbians, the weak side perhaps is not as weak as we would think. Their divisions are battle hardened but our numerical and technological advantages will lead us to victory. Also we are being commanded by the new archduke, we can not let him down!

Kavaleriearmee: Currently we are being deployed alongside the Alpenarmee as we are to make use of any breakthroughs that will happen on that part of the front.

6.png

Situation in eastern Galicia

7.png

Situation in northern Galicia

9 8 8.png

Situation in the Balkans

While the imperial and royal army was busy fighting, the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine was organized into 2 naval groups, one under von Spaun, which consisted of older, slower battleships that's why it was allocated to cover just the Adriatic see. Meanwhile Miklos Horthy, was tasked with the control of the central Mediterranean.
10.png

10 mogoce.png

Miklos Horthy narrating for to an officer, to write into the naval logbook of Szent Istvan:
"Our U-boats spotted and engaged an enemy convoy august 8th, one merchant ship was sunk. First scouting group spotted an enemy surface group on the morning of 9th of august, identified 7 capital ships and escorts. As soon as I got news of this I set sail to chase them. We spotted them around 16:30, weather was a bit windy. The contact was identified as French warships, they outnumbered us, but still we engaged. Engagement started at 16:40 We managed to inflict more damage than what we received, but I had to order a retreat as an unidentified navy was spotted around 17:04 answering the French radio calls. Nation and amount of ship unknown. Headed back to port. Damage is to be assessed and reported to k.u.k. Kriegsmarine high command.
This has shown that the fast striking force is basically alone if admiral von Spaun doesn't go as well, though his ships are older and slower. Something has to be done. End of report"

15.png

16.png

Army report for the 3rd week of August
I. Armee: The right flank near Krakow was totally broken, the city might be cut off. Russian attacks are relentless.

II. Armee: The Russian imperial army has advanced around 60 km towards Lemberg, while in the south they totally broke through and even managed to cross the Dniester river.

III. Armee: We are finally being deployed on the front line, it seems bad as I have never seen Conrad so furious before.

Reservearmee: I have been put under command of von Teschen, we are to deploy in SE Sliesia and around Krakow. We will support the I. Armee.

IV. Armee: The war experience of Serbia is clear to us as they won't budge without a fight for each meter of their land.

V. Armee: Nothing to report beside casualties for no ground captured.

Alpenarmee: The enemy is putting up fight, but we are the one on the initiative.

Kavaleriearmee: Partialy helping the Alpenarmee, though we are supposed to await the magic breakthrough.

18 18 8.png

The situation on the eastern front looks dire

On the 26th of August, Krakow fell into Russian hand. When von Teschen heard of it, he immediately ordered Borojević and his 1. Army to retake the city at all cost. The 2nd army did not report anything for a couple of days as they had to flee. When the k.u.k. heard news about the eastern front, he regretted not allowing earlier the deployment of III. Army. He agreed with von Teschen, that Krakow has to be captured, he issued an order himself for Borojević.

Army report for the 4th week of August
I. Armee: We got orders from the k.u.k. himself to retake Krakow, Reservearmee will assist with it though I worry about them as they are not fully trained recruits yet.

II. Armee: The Russians took a bit more territory but with the help of the III. Armee it seems that their attack is coming to a halt.

III. Armee: Some segments of the front were total chaos, the troops of II. Armee were more than happy for our help. Together we are now holding off the Mongol horde. The front line in the south goes on the Dniester and it rises up towards east of Lemberg, quite some territory was lost.

Reservearmee: The troops received their baptism of fire, we are to attack and retake Krakow, in my opinion attack is not the best defense.

IV. Armee: Stiff enemy resistance but they are starting to weaken slowly. The attack on Belgrade is progressing slowly, the city is being captured street by street.

V. Armee: No progress, hoping for the Alpeenarmee to breakthrough as promised by Hotzendorf.

Alpeenarmee: The archduke visited the frontline and delievered a speech, it seems like we have a crucial role.

Kavaleriearmee: The archduke, Karl, personally confronted senior officers and explained his plan.

K.u.k. Kriegsmarine: The U-boat sunk a British cargo ship. Only them are allowed outside the Adriatic sea. Damage on the ships from admiral Horthy is substantial, for full repairs it will take up to new year.
22.png
23.png

The eastern front got finally reinforced so the number of k.u.k. army divisions is doubled. The attack for Krakow has started. So ends the first month of the war.
24.png

• 3Like
Reactions: