• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
The story of Atlanta goes back many years. It gains its name as the terminus (the original name of the city) of the state we know as Georgia. The capital has been placed in many cities over the years, but here is where it stuck. Railroads were built here and it soon became the through point for the southeast. It is located close enough to the sea and Savannah but so too close to the interior. And then there is the river. As the Chattahoochee River flows south, it winds and bends. Sometimes slowly. Sometimes swift. It swells with the rain and falls low when the needed water is lacking. It’s an excellent thoroughfare for traffic, because it can be deep in many places. And with shallow bottom boats, it’s a breeze. But there are rocks and rapids and like any river, it can be treacherous. To get stuck...that is a captain’s nightmare.

Here is where we begin this story. Not too far from the banks of the Chattahoochee and indeed in the heart of Atlanta. An area we call Little Five Points. Roads merging and creating a great giant traffic jam, but it has culture. Specifically a record shop. It went by the name of Wax’n’Facts. It still does. Rare music if you want it, and they had it. Bootleg albums, CDs that were hard to find and just an endless supply of music when that was what we all wanted back then.

[Sidenote – I purchased my first CD in 1987 and still own it. Sits within the rest of them...over 300 now. Was larger, then smaller, and now larger again. I like to own the music I want to hear. The 1st was Billy Joel’s Greatest Hits, Volume I and II. The 2nd was Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. I still have that too. Two versions, actually.]

So the scene is this...two idiot boys. Way too young to be there by themselves. Let us assume a parental figure dropped them off to make them happy. And they start tossing records around...just all over the place. But they aren’t albums...vinyl. Not even CDs. They are cassette tapes. Easy to toss. The Beatles. Billy Joel. Genesis. Phil Collins. Steve Winwood. The Stones, Lou Reed, Bowie and Elton John. Maybe even something harder...Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. Possibly some cool shit like Pet Sounds. Or even better Joni Mitchell. But maybe it was the Shags. Maybe it was…

Anything.

Two idiot boys that just want to buy. Just want to listen...hear...feel. Get them home and revel in the glorious nature of this music. That’s what we are dealing with here. The conversation might go something like this…

“Did you hear the latest Costello album?”

“No. Why? I heard that Keely liked it, but I don’t know her that well. I’d like to!”

“You idiot! It’s awesome.”

“Then get it. Maybe Kathy would like it.”

“You son of a bitch!”

“Sorry...sorry. Go ahead...get it.”

It went nothing like that. Well, it went something like that. It usually did. But the above scene never happened. It happened close to that, but not in that way. There was usually a lot more cursing, a lot more mentions of “jack” (not a name of either of us...just what we called each other) and a ton more putting each other down. Because we could. Because we knew it didn’t matter and where our real emotions stood.

But we’re still standing outside the record shop...manna from heaven. And we take the music home. And we listen to it!

Memory plays tricks, but it was a Turtles Records and it was John Lennon’s Imagine and the song “Crippled Inside.” I should have known that then...as I should know that now. I can still see that scene play out before me. The two of us laying on his bed, his strong sound system giving us these amazing notes and lyrics. Just washing over us. Beautiful, harsh...and beautiful again. The entire album.

What does that have to do with an AAR, you ask? Pretty much nothing. Except this memory and what I am about to write takes place in nearly the same area. Centuries are involved, as are cultural differences. I want to make this a story. But I’m also learning (again) how to play the game. I’m always trying to learn how to play the game. I think Keith was trying to do the same.

I want to write, and I have this pushing thing at me that wants to write about my best friend. He never understood this game (or Axis and Allies, Risk or Chess) but I can say he played it first. I didn’t have the computer to do it justice at the time. But once I took off...well, just look at my sig. You won’t find him here. He never joined.

He never did.

So...what’s the story? Answer is I don’t know. Could be a gameplay. Could be a historybook if I get far enough. And it could be a narrative if I keep placing these personal things into it. Which I’m likely to do. Because I want to write. How I do it? I don’t know. You’ll just have to read (I hope.)

I’m listening to the band Rush right now and they are telling me to show, don’t tell. So…

The Creek Nation as of 1444...is isolated. They have some enemies, namely the Cherokee to the north. Choctaw and Chickasaw are neighborly. The later more friendly than the former. It’s an interesting position. To wit:

5zKvLrX.png

In three years, I have stabilized the economy. Hired an advisor even. He’s to help with...anything, frankly. It’s a lonely start. It will be years before I deal with Europe. So it’s just build, build and build. I’ve done so by recruiting another archer unit (and hiring a general.) I have the feeling I’m going to need it. Adjusting this and that.

It’s been 2 years since I played EU4, but now is a best of time as any to start again. Like I said, I just want to write...something. Is there an over-arching theme? Actually yes. Will it be apparent? Mayhaps not. But I hope you’ll read it. I promise that I will include the game. Rather fun, really, to get back into it. After all, EU is what got me into all of this in the first place. :)

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
An @coz1 AAR? Good.

I'll follow. I never did read much Wessex, but I've heard good things about it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh yeah, here at the start!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes! He's back! I'm so happy to see you writing again, @coz1 ! :) Looking forward to this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks like fun!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey @coz1

Nice to see you around here for a new AAR.

You can count on me. It's always a pleasure to read you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow! Thanks all for looking into these (possibly) nonsensical ramblings as I attempt to play, write and present (not necessarily in that order.) I'm working through all manner of things right now, and this is a wonderful palliative. It's good to know I have some few fellow travelers which may (or may not) understand them. I do apologize if it seems disjointed at times...but that is how it is planned. There is indeed a game. There is indeed a writing about it. And then there is just me writing about whatever the hell else I want to write. I promise I won't abuse that function. But when it fits...it may well be in there. ;)

Please don't plan on regular updates (scores of past readers are clapping knowing my furious stream of previous years) but I have another because I wanted to put a little "meat on the bone." And it's some good meat (I hope.)

Thanks again! :)

Reactions:
The War with Cherokee

The Cherokee people go back quite a long way here in Georgia until Andrew Jackson decided he’d seen enough and marched them off to Oklahoma. You’ve likely read about the Trail of Tears. And sad it was. Yet they still maintain some vestiges of their time here with an entire county named for them. I lived there ever so briefly when I was 7 to 8 years of age. My mother had just remarried and we moved into his house. A split level affair, my older sister and I were often alone together and we found many games to play. We’d pretend we were Miss Wiggins and Mr. Tutball from the famed Carol Burnett Show (it still holds up!) And then there was the infamous “lava camel” game in which she was the princess and I the lowly lava camel that was forced to transport her from chair to couch and back again to avoid the lava that was our burnt orange carpet. I still have back trouble today thanks to that, but I still love my sis.

I also had some alone time play in which I’d wile away the hours outside with my tiny plastic cowboys and indians figures and the wooden fort which one or both would attempt to take. Sure, I still had my G.I. Joes and Star Wars figures, but for this one summer that was where my attentions were directed. Briefly I had a neighborhood friend and we built our own fort. It was nothing much. Just twigs and branches that we tried to really spruce up with mud and dirt. It didn’t last long once it rained and then I did not either as we soon moved again to Fulton County and Roswell which I consider my true hometown.

It’s amazing how time seems so long when you are young and the older you get, the more time flies right by you. It was less than a year in Cherokee County, but it felt like forever. I have so many clear memories of those months. And one of the other memories of that time was visiting the Etowah Indian Mounds. Now there is a town of Etowah in Cherokee County, but the mounds are located further west and near Cartersville. And they really are something. They go back a far way (according to the wiki page, back to 1000 to 1500 A.D.) There isn’t much around them like buildings, etc. but the earth moved to build them has persisted. It is undeniable.

And the truth is...the Cherokee did not build them. The Creek did. Specifically, the peoples of the Muscogee Creek. They were here first before the Cherokee conquered them and/or moved them from their lands of the time (western Georgia/southern Tennessee.) The Creek remained a strong tribe in Alabama, at least until they too walked their Trail of Tears, but what we are dealing with here is a reversal of that early historical moment.

So cast your mind back...stay not in 2021 and instead imagine that you are in a place called Standing Peachtree. It is named for what it sounds like...a tall peach tree. I recognize that this is a break of verisimilitude, but the fact remains that EVERYTHING in and around Atlanta is named Peachtree this or Peachtree that. Christ, the nickname of Georgia is The Peach State! Even though we are better known for our peanuts and cotton, AND South Carolina really is better at Peach production. Yet the name Standing Peachtree really was a thing from the eastern edges of the Creek nation, most likely after the Europeans landed. So...just check your history privileges!

Anyway…

We are back in 1448 (which they would not have recognized either!) and the two idiot boys you may remember from above are now throwing rocks by the banks of the Chattahoochee. Their clothes are different. Their ideas of cassette tapes and rock and roll are nonexistent. Instead, they are native american youngsters. Older in mind then the earlier boys, because they have to be. But still wide eyed with plenty of ambition for the future.

Enter one of the boy’s father. We’ll call him Chitto. (By the way...I guess we should give the boys names too. Let’s call them Yaholo and Chekilli. This is Yaholo’s father. Well...that is muddled. Maybe step-father. Bonds of love were not a thing in 1448, but we can assume Chitto raised Yaholo.) Chitto is a brave warrior. An excellent archer. He has just been recruited by the Creek tribe chief (Chief Brim, by the way...he likes his hats.) And he’s here to tell the boy that he is off to war.

The brave Chitto strides forward with an arched brow. He’s not a tall man, but carries himself well. With confidence and pride. He looks unkindly towards the other boy before training his eye towards Yaholo, “You are too long at play. Remember your chores!”

“We’ve only been here since the sun hit high sky!” Yaholo protests, looking to Chekilli for affirmation and the other boy nods in agreement.

Chitto pays no mind to Chekilli as he trains his eye towards his son, “Then you are far too long. Your mother needs help.”

Yaholo attempts to protest again, “It has been moons since I have seen him!”

“Then she is not wasted as she proves her work,” Chitto replies, “For his people and ours are not the same. Now go!”

The young boy only relents when a hand is brought high and runs off leaving the elder and the other boy alone, “There is little wrong with you, but your talents. They are not his. Your parents are wanting of you. Go and be with them and not to this place.”

“You know nothing of me,” Chekilli replies with a sharp brow of his own.

Chitto leans down, “Nor do I wish to. I am off to war and will not see you here again. Do you understand?”

Chekilli tries to stand taller, “You cannot keep me from this river. You do not own it. You do not own him!”

“I do not have to,” Chitto answers as he turns to leave, “For you are beneath him.”

In nearly all respects, Chitto was true to his word. For the Creek people had found cause to war with the neighbors to the north, the Cherokee. Rivals, to be sure. Spies had been found and injury after injury had poisoned their dubious friendship. And in 1449, war was declared between these two tribes.

Qw0qfN3.png

Here we must cut to the storyteller as he weaves a grandiose tale…(I’m seeing C-3PO in Return of the Jedi, but you can visualize whom you wish.)

“The great Chief Brim...he is exhausted after the latest arrow has pierced his skin. No more, he says! We shall see no more of these great calumnies and treat these Cherokee like no more than filthy bugs, for that is what they are, he says. All of our efforts are trained to take war to them as brave warriors we are. When the rains cease and the skies grow clear, our mighty men of Creek advance north and answer for these crimes against us.”

kESWvUN.png

“Nothing is left to stand in their path and the homeland of the Cherokee is deserted and taken, as it should be. The great warrior Hasse Ola advances even further north as the coward Cherokee flee before his feet. Yet they think to be smart. But intelligent they are not. The Choctaw are no serious enemy to us. Merely a stream...not but a run off from the rains. While they meekly attempt to take the war to our home lands in Tuskegee, Hasse Ola moves upon Tutelo in the north. It too relents at his persistence. And they run. Scared. Yet they think to play a trick. While the Choctaw once more threatens our home land, the Cherokee return to give battle. Our many brave warriors meet them by the banks of the river and give them the defeat they so richly deserve.”

FykV3IX.png

“Yet they are not spent. On they continue to fight. The Choctaw too. Battle after battle is seen and no common brave even would assume victory. But victory is had. To our homeland in Tuskegee. To Coosa. Chasing them...again and again. Back to Tuskegee once more...”

azSRb2o.png

“And they flee. Every time, they flee. The swift wings of our eagle Hasse Ola finds them wherever they may choose to nest for the night. They run to the safety of the south. Hasse Ola cares not for these lands. They are not our concern. He returns to Cheraw and the mounds that the Cherokee have built there. And finally...they are upon him for a final time. A last stand in which to prove their bravery. Many warriors would lose their spirit on that day...and all for the Cherokee tribe.”

sV73iZg.png

“The Chickasaw proved their friendship and joined us during this time...too late...but a help. For the truth is this...our brave Hasse Ola had proved his worthiness. He was proud, and strong, and brought these worthless Cherokee to their knees. Unrelenting, daunting, and merciless. It would take many moons for the Cherokee to relent, but relent they would and not without their humiliation so deserved.”

PR5btRb.png

OK. So it went pretty much like that, but I doubt very seriously that a Creek storyteller might speak it in those words. Likely not. But he would tell a story, and a good story it was. Maybe not C-3PO...maybe more Christopher Plummer in highly problematic make-up. Mayhap Wes Studi (who, sadly for him, is of Cherokee descent.) What are we...casting a Hollywood epic here? I think not. The fact is, the Creek won. And well.

Took Cherokee from the Cherokee (the basis of the war and our CB on them) as well as their capital of Cheraw. Made them recant their alliance with the Choctaw and on top of all that, humiliated them. Not a bad days work (or three years, but who’s counting?) I could have taken Tutelo as well, but decided not to as to not put too much of an arrow on my back at this time. So we’ll just leave them out there as a rival (which I understand is needed...again, been a while since I played the game.) In the end, we are left with this...

4aI8Z0A.png

Chekilli stands by the riverside, tossing a rock that skips three or four times. He is roused from his thoughts when he hears a voice in the distance…

“I was there!!!”

“What?” he asks as much to himself as he does to his friend, “What do you mean?!”

Yaholo bounds up to him with a huge smile upon his face, “I was there...with Chitto! The battle at Tutelo...back to Tuskegee...to the final end at Cheraw!”

“You were not!” Chekilli taunts his friend.

Yaholo grins wide, “I was. Every step!”

“You didn’t fight!” Chekilli answers as much with question as he does with determination.

“No...” Yaholo calms down, “...but I was there. I ran for arrows. I ran for water...”

Chekilli frowns, “You ran.”

“And we won!”

“Yes...” Chekilli answers, “...you did.”

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Creek have beaten the Cherokee.

Liking the style of this...

Reactions:
I do notice some resentment between the boys...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fb-fb:

The Creek have beaten the Cherokee.

Liking the style of this...

It was more of a near run thing than I posted, but indeed yes...Cherokee were put low. A nice victory.

I do notice some resentment between the boys...

Wise to notice and I will likely return to that. It is a constant, but I may not always use it in a scene. ;)

Another short update follows (and I promise...daily updates will not be a thing going forward. I just had some time.)

Reactions:
One Is The Loneliest Number

I don’t have a personal story here...or perhaps I do. Somewhere around 2003 or 2004 I met a lady that introduced me to the great and awesome work of Harry Nilsson. You may recall him from the amazing Pulp Fiction soundtrack with “Coconut” in which one places the lime in it. You might also recall his work used in Goodfellas when Ray Liotta is trying to outrun what he thinks are the authorities (and he is) with “Jump Into the Fire.” It is possible (if you are a true fan of film) that you’ll recall his version of “Everybody’s Talkin” from the amazing film Midnight Cowboy (still the only film rated X that was even nominated for an Academy Award, much less won the thing.)

Point is, he is an underrated artist. And the song posted above is pretty much what I am feeling as I play these years. I will note that the song itself is better known from the Three Dog Night version from 1969. But who cares? It is the situation that matters. And the situation is this:

hkhGA7A.png

I thought of the song because we are isolated. Just a few friends (or not) surrounding us. Sure we have the Chickasaw, but the rest are what I have spent the past ten years working with. After taking the Cherokee lands, I had to wait while the over-extension penalty subsided as well as waiting to core these territories. I also had to keep digging into all of the features and once I discovered I could use my admin points...well, I used them.

I’ve used the others as well. Also tried to make friends with the Miami in Ohio (not the football team) and the Powhatan near the coast. Trying to build up friends and that helped when we moved past another mission – Gain Trustworthy Friends. I’m now allied with Chickasaw, Miami and Powhatan and with the pushing of admin points, I’m starting to take in some decent monies (or heap good trade, if you are so inclined.)

Speaking of trade, I’ve been doing well in the Mississippi delta area and have tried to make some inroads in the Ohio area. Chesapeake was out of range but now it is except it does not look to gain me much. So still working there.

I’ve cored (or continue to) the territories I took from Cherokee and tried to build them up. There remains unrest, but it lessons every year. And I’m still trying to maintain the balance between nobility, merchants and clergy, such as they are. All are above 30% at the now. That is always subject to change.

Also boosted my stability to +3, so that’s nice. Always helps.

And so, that’s where we are. Or better yet, here is where we are as of 1463:

fXLeFpt.png

Except maybe something new is on the horizon...what could it be?

One is indeed the loneliest number, unless you are used to isolation and taking care of yourself. In the past year, I have not seen too much change from my normal procedures. I was sort of built for this. I wore a bathrobe when I was 3. An old man in a very small body. As the body grew larger, the older I got. ;)

So...I’ll end this update with the possibly better version of the song that speaks to what we are doing here with the Creek. (And it’s not better...just different.) The isolation of the Creek means months of nothing happening. But is also means I get to check everything in real time and react when needed. Maybe a little too slow, but not too fast. Kind of the way I like it.

But then this happened...

• 1Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
Fb-fb:

Curious...;)

I'm actually starting to rethink making the move I was planning. We'll see. Won't have another update for a day or too, so you'll know then. I'm trying not to make moves just to do some damn thing since you can imagine it's fairly quiet in this part of the world.

Glad to see you writing again, coz :) I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on this one.

Thanks. It's a bit different than my normal style, but I hope it remains entertaining.

Reactions:
The Creek are very lonely.

Colonization is a good way to expand, though... or do you have to wait for that?

Reactions:
The Creek are very lonely.

Colonization is a good way to expand, though... or do you have to wait for that?
I suspect we do have to wait for that. Could have to wait until the Europeans arrive. Not certain.

• 1Like
Reactions:
“In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue...”

The above refrain which every schoolboy and girl knows is a bit misleading after the way I ended the previous update. We’ve got to get there first and last time we left off we were in 1463. And I left it with a curious statement, to be sure.

“But then this happened...”

Yet I must backtrack even further because in my rush to tell you all of the things that didn’t happen, I forgot a few things that did (or neglected to report on them.) For one, good old Chief Brim died after he lost his hat. He was replaced by Ocheehajou Menewa who has decent stats but an impossible name to type each time. Thankfully, I won’t need to. Our stability drops and I boost it back fully to +3. I don’t remember if stability effects production and taxes like it did in previous games, but what’s the harm? It’s always good to be stable, right?

I also pushed the National Decisions I had available: Encourage Divination and Religious Sacrifices. So there’s that.

Finally, I start hitting some milestones in tech advances. The first...

X227Gln.png

That is soon enough followed by level 2 diplomacy tech which gives me better shipbuilding. I guess I can use them on the river since I remain landlocked. Level 2 administrative tech is elusive for the time being (which I presume will keep me from colonists for some time.)

Oh...and I guess I should mention this thing called The Renaissance happens in 1455. I’m not sure what it is, but being superstitious, we Creek don’t care for it too much. We know of no animal by that name, proper or general. It can’t be good.

So by 1463, we had finished gaining cores on the previous Cherokee provinces and had gained a “humiliate rival” CB on neighboring Choctaw. And this is what I was assuming would happen in the next playthrough.

Except it didn’t.

1464 clocked in and we promote Cherokee culture to get rid of revolt risk in those provinces taken in the last war.

1465 then stopped by and we finally have full the compliment of advisors now. The wampum had grown heap high.

1466 showed up and the Creek start building a spy network in Choctaw.

I could tell you about 1467, or 1468. Maybe even 1469 or 1470. But in truth, there is little to tell. And yet somehow, we progress in 1471 to complete another mission:

xOB1YPV.png

So I figured, if we are supposed to be expanding Creek, I had better get to it. And I do…

...in 1475.

The only CB I have is to humiliate them which sort of sucks because that is blood and treasure for very little but bragging rights. That said, I see the board and think I have a good chance. I’m still allied with Miami and Powhatan. And they are allied with Cherokee and Waco in the west. After the messenger is sent, all parties join and rather quickly I have taken Choctaw but they have taken Tuskegee. Finally we meet proper in Coosa. To wit...

6SjT8zo.png

Now, I am winning but the way I fight a war is with all the strength I can possibly muster. They have little bands here and there, but when they combine they might...might...overwhelm me. So, I decide to raise 2 more regiments of archers and fairly soon after I am forced to take a loan. Hrmph! That said, it must have been just what was needed because I am able to win the war within some months. I humiliate the Choctaw, so the war was a success. But I am also humiliated personally with that darn loan. I should have paid closer attention.

However, we move ever forward. And by 1480 we are able to repay the loan AND fabricate a claim on Tohome belonging to the Choctaw. Sadly, the old chief dies again and we have a new one with lessor stats and an even harder name...Chawooklymico Lamhe Chati. We won’t be typing that much, I assure you.

And pretty much that was the decade. Sigh.

Flash forward here. 1989 was a pretty great year for me. Turned 16 and got my drivers license. I started dating my best high school girlfriend late in the year. Got to see both Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton in concert. Had one of my better roles in high school as Jonathan in “Arsenic and Old Lace.” A lot happened just in one year. But we’re not talking the 20th century here. We’re still five hundred years earlier and it’s been pretty silent. Until 1489. The truce is up with the Choctaw and I’m itching to take advantage of the claim on Tahome.

What to say about the 2nd Choctaw war? Hmmm...how about this?

93zfz2N.png

I mean, it was a pretty huge success. Not terribly difficult. Quick and decisive and I took my objective of Tohome. It was over by 1490. I gained some aggressive penalty but I have a feeling I’ll have time to let that fall away over the years. The coins (or pelts) are good, certainly enough that I can afford to start building a marketplace in Tuskegee by the end of the year. And I finally gain the core on Tohome by 1491. But it’s been slow going with the only excitement being a bit of war here and there. I don’t see getting a colonist anytime soon and I’m running out of immediate neighbors to beat up on. I suppose I could swallow what is left of Cherokee and Choctaw, or maybe look north and put eyes on the Shawnee (part of why I allied Miami earlier.)

Really, it seems just years of growth so perhaps I am in a better position when the Europeans finally arrive. Which as the beginning of this post suggests we are getting closer to that date. I ended the playthrough in 1492 ready for the new to come. Not a terrible run for the previous 50 odd years. Slow, but steady. I guess our spiritual animal is the turtle. But you tell me...the map looks like a cave drawing of sorts. Could be anything.

j1WM51i.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Strongest of the weak. ;)

Reactions: