• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Brits are making some noise around this time. Newfoundland announces that we are a new rival to them. Hmmm. And then the 13 Colonies asks for military access. Umm...No! But interesting.
Best case scenario is the pair of them splitting off from the empire and being eternal rivals to play off each other.

Now...this world map.
Portugal has taken Australia.
Portugal has done exceptionally well in the colonial game. I highly doubt they can keep any of it long term but it'll certainly be world altering for Latin Catholic protguese to be everywhere. They own loads of North America still, and loads of Mexico. And loads of the Caribbean.

And Australia and probably soon some of Indonesia or india if they're smart.

Good news for the Creek, I guess. The Portuguese empire is huge and weak. Their land should be pretty undefended.
Lots to take in, to be sure. Portugal has taken Australia. France and Castile have Brazil even though Castile has very little in Europe (notice British Iberia and the advance of Aragon.)
Castille surprises me. They somehow colonised the entire west coast, and yet have basically no presence anywhere else (including in Castile). That empire is going to collapse soon unless it moves to california...which...would be a problem if it did.

France meanwhile is pathetically weak. Loads of rich colonies in South amercia and a small bit of Mexico but being kicked around by Brittany of all places doesn't bode well for the kingdom lasting too long in the colonial game.
That’s Denmark in the Baltic and Austria is not yet the BWB. They do look to have half of the Burgundian inheritance, but otherwise not so large. I did not look at the powers that be in the HRE, but I’ll assume it’s still coming out of Austria.
Nothing otherwise too interesting in Europe land. Poland being big is usual. Russia likewise. GB being in Iberia is interesting, especiakly if they can use that to start a European empire (or even just nick more of America from the Spanish).

I'm more shocked that no one colonised Greenland. That tends to be the first thing anyone does...
France (even if they may be a poor alliance partner
Yeah...GB is currently bodying them everywhere and might even be about to start conquering bits of France back again (depending on what they are doing in Spain). No overseas empire that will be kept for long, no solid foundations in europe, and a strong England, Austria and Brittany in Europe. Not good at all.

So, I'm thinking the Creek really need to start worrying about the british. They're out of time now, they are coming for us. And there's not many out there who can help. France, protgual and Castile are present in amercia, but GB has land borders with all of them and looks to be stronger than them in europe and in amercia.

We may need to rapidly expand south to counterbalance the North being so scary.

Reactions:
Either there is some incredibly unwieldy grand coalition to be formed to guard against the British, or we are going to have to do Creek manifest destiny against the Portuguese and gamble on being strong enough to bear the brunt of the fighting against Canada. Either way, there seems to be a battle for the ages somewhere not too far off on the horizon.

Reactions:
Either there is some incredibly unwieldy grand coalition to be formed to guard against the British, or we are going to have to do Creek manifest destiny against the Portuguese and gamble on being strong enough to bear the brunt of the fighting against Canada. Either way, there seems to be a battle for the ages somewhere not too far off on the horizon.
I'm thinking get as unwieldy and big as possible and pray the british prefer just ruining our economy until they get best rates rather than direct conquest. That's not really their style in this period.

Indeed, if they were really clever (so not happening with this AI) they'd make damn sure we were strong enough to wipe out all the other colonial powers in amercia. And then steamroller us...

Reactions:
A good little war. And you're quickly catching up in technology, too.

Reactions:
A fascinating glimpse at the wider world.

I have to say that I'm impressed Castille has been able to maintain its overseas empire while its own power on the mainland is withering. (Incidentally, what typically happens to a colonial nation when its mother country ceases to exist? Does it become independent, or does the overlordship get inherited by the conquering power?)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Castille seems to be dying. Maybe Aragon just recently defeated them? Or Britain did?

Reactions:
Fb-fb:

Another Great Job! I had to look up Piankeshaw as I live 10 minutes from the Piankatank River which is fed by the Dragon River. Different group of Native Americans!
Thanks!

Best case scenario is the pair of them splitting off from the empire and being eternal rivals to play off each other.

Now...this world map.

Portugal has done exceptionally well in the colonial game. I highly doubt they can keep any of it long term but it'll certainly be world altering for Latin Catholic protguese to be everywhere. They own loads of North America still, and loads of Mexico. And loads of the Caribbean.

And Australia and probably soon some of Indonesia or india if they're smart.

Good news for the Creek, I guess. The Portuguese empire is huge and weak. Their land should be pretty undefended.

Castille surprises me. They somehow colonised the entire west coast, and yet have basically no presence anywhere else (including in Castile). That empire is going to collapse soon unless it moves to california...which...would be a problem if it did.

France meanwhile is pathetically weak. Loads of rich colonies in South amercia and a small bit of Mexico but being kicked around by Brittany of all places doesn't bode well for the kingdom lasting too long in the colonial game.

Nothing otherwise too interesting in Europe land. Poland being big is usual. Russia likewise. GB being in Iberia is interesting, especiakly if they can use that to start a European empire (or even just nick more of America from the Spanish).

I'm more shocked that no one colonised Greenland. That tends to be the first thing anyone does...

Yeah...GB is currently bodying them everywhere and might even be about to start conquering bits of France back again (depending on what they are doing in Spain). No overseas empire that will be kept for long, no solid foundations in europe, and a strong England, Austria and Brittany in Europe. Not good at all.

So, I'm thinking the Creek really need to start worrying about the british. They're out of time now, they are coming for us. And there's not many out there who can help. France, protgual and Castile are present in amercia, but GB has land borders with all of them and looks to be stronger than them in europe and in amercia.

We may need to rapidly expand south to counterbalance the North being so scary.
Castile is the one that surprises me the most as well. GB has done very well for themselves and at the Castilians expense in Iberia. As for Portugal, they may be weak but they have a lot of colonies out there, especially in my neighborhood.

You are not wrong. ;)

I'm thinking get as unwieldy and big as possible and pray the british prefer just ruining our economy until they get best rates rather than direct conquest. That's not really their style in this period.

Indeed, if they were really clever (so not happening with this AI) they'd make damn sure we were strong enough to wipe out all the other colonial powers in amercia. And then steamroller us...
Yeah...not a bad idea. For them.

A good little war. And you're quickly catching up in technology, too.
Catching up but still behind. Every step counts though.

A fascinating glimpse at the wider world.

I have to say that I'm impressed Castille has been able to maintain its overseas empire while its own power on the mainland is withering. (Incidentally, what typically happens to a colonial nation when its mother country ceases to exist? Does it become independent, or does the overlordship get inherited by the conquering power?)
I do not know the answer to that question, but Castile is indeed very near to such a moment.

To prevent sibling rivalry, I nominated you and you sibling War of the Roses to be featured AAR of the Week. Did I break another rule by nominating two AARs?
Again, thank you! Very kind and appreciated. :)

Castille seems to be dying. Maybe Aragon just recently defeated them? Or Britain did?
A lot was some war they must have had with GB. England has been very strong in this game.

To all - I've been a bit called away this past week and change and so have not had much chance to work on this. I've done some playing but not enough for a full write up. Also...some interesting things have occurred. Still trying to figure that out. Game wise. Life wise. It's always something, folks. Always something. But I have been doing some writing on both works and even got chapter 3 started in WOTR. So...we move ever forward, do we not? KBO as Churchill (among others) suggested. I'm graced to have my life and health, liberty such as it is and the pursuit (at the least) of happiness. ;)

Back with more when I have more. Thanks for reading and commenting all! You always make writing here entirely worth it.

Reactions:
I had just finished catching up and was quite pleased with myself, then I go and see you had posted and I felt the curse had struck and I had once again fallen behind. Luckily it was only fb-fb so I am still safe.

I've missed large chunks but at least I shall be here as we head towards the latter stages. I have nothing useful to add as I know nothing of EUIV so I would never dream of offering game advice and as we all know advice based on reality is often misleading if not outright wrong when applied to a Paradox game! I remain impressed at your skill in making this an enjoyable read despite my ignorance of the game, I may not know quite why you do things or what mechanics you are exploiting (or being on the recieving end of) but it has pulled me along regardless, so yet more kudos and praise to add to your doubtless overflowing pile. I am glad that despite your interesting occurences you have still found time for some writing, it is always good to keep these things ticking over for one's own benefit if no-one else's.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The two things of most interest to me are Greenland not being colonised at all and British iberia.

The latter, with Castile and France so weak, has a great potential to shift the power balance in europe.

The former is just odd. GB or someone in Scandinavia always go for Greenland before Canada. Indicates that they didn't enter the new world by that route, but further south and worked their way up???

Reactions:
Well, I've just read through everything and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know anything about EUIV, but you still kept me interested in following along. I'm excited to see what these 'interesting' game events are!

• 1Like
Reactions:
A "new" coz1 AAR, that I'm late -- as usual -- in finding. Haha! Well, looks like I have some new summer reading on my list.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally caught up with your AAR, Is an excellent read! any thoughts on PLAV? anyways take your time, will be awaiting your next post.:)

• 1Like
Reactions: