• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 4 - 1851 to 1853: John Brown's Last Raid

Despite a little bit of grumbling, the Freiheitspartei is given support secretly. A subtle propaganda campaign commences, and supplies are slowly given to the faction.

8j774NW.jpg

In the meantime, an alliance is made with Cuba and the Dominican Republic. The USA is now allied with all independent nations of North America (except Mexico). This alliance bloc's members, although singularly weak, together create a force to be reckoned with. The diplomatic purpose of this bloc is to deter European influence and interference in North America.

5myl1E7.jpg

Within a year, the operation is botched, and the Freiheitspartei seizes the only region they can, California. They declare that the current ruling party of Occidentalia is not fit to lead the nation. A civil war begins.

YnjTjCE.jpg

The Freiheitspartei call their temporary land of control the Californian Republic, and they call the USA to their aid. The USA accepts, needing to save face after the disastrous campaign to support the Freiheitspartei.

WBYdi3W.jpg

2nd Army and the Army of the Territories enter California and Occidentalia, respectively. An enemy army of 6 thousand is currently occupying San Francisco. The small Occidentalian army is engaged and defeated by the 2nd Army a few weeks later.

P1ZIU4G.jpg

The war continues smoothly, but on July 4th, 1853, a hero of the Abolitionist movement, John Brown, raids an armory in an attempt to start an armed slave rebellion in the south. He fails, dying in the process and taking several southerners with him. This last raid brings back the issue of slavery to the top. For the past few years, the issue had gained little traction and had even moved into the background. Now, it is once again front and center.

hPVg4rI.jpg

Meanwhile, the Election of the next president is underway. John Brown's raid, and the northern support he had, scars the election. Dissent from the south and hatred between the two sides grow daily. The champion of the north in the election is Jacob Weller, a former representative from Illinois. He campaigns strongly for ending slavery, as he did against the Mexican-American Wars of the previous decade. He gained much popularity in the North and, as the election draws closer to the end, he is poised for victory.

But the South is unwilling to see a president like him take power. Before election day, the Southern States of the United States of America declares themselves separate and independent from the Union. Thus begins the American Civil War.

1ZzPvmv.jpg

yYyrYSu.jpg

NOTE:
-I didn't expect the Occidentalian operation to end so quickly! Damn random chance!
-I also didn't expect the ACW to happen in the 50's. The last few years have seen very little militancy. I mean, like only two provinces in the south have had militancy over 5! It has started to pick up, especially after John Brown, but dang, that surprised me.
-I guess if enough people are interested in me choosing the CSA, I would do it. But it would have to be a large majority.

I believe the ACW is based on consciousness instead of militancy. Or at least I'm assuming so from the decisions related to it that reduce consciousness to delay it.
Well, I wasn't sure of the mechanics, but since I saw there was no Rebel Faction or movement for succession, I thought it was far off! I should have done more research into the matter :p

These dissidents must be brought under control! Three rousing cheers for the Union!

Unexpected that the Civil War happened so early and the war against Occidentalia was still ongoing, but it does show how divided the country is. It also highlights the messy borders to the North and West of the US. Once these conflicts are finished, it would be interesting to see what states you end up with.

I'm supportive of you plating as the Union, given that since the beginning it feels like you have been closer to it than the CSA.

We got a Bear Flag Revolt in this history, too. But just a little larger than the real life one.

Stick with the USA in the civil war. Also, consider some land swaps with Canada, as those borders are ugly.

So Jacob Weller is this timeline's Abraham Lincoln? Fair enough. I like the ACW happening so early, it means the issue can be settled now and the rest of V2 will be you settling your borders and helping your allies. While it would be surprising to see the CSA win, I'd rather see you stick with the USA and just knock the southerns down.

These dissidents must be brought under control! Three rousing cheers for the Union!

Roll out the drums of war!

Unexpected that the Civil War happened so early and the war against Occidentalia was still ongoing, but it does show how divided the country is. It also highlights the messy borders to the North and West of the US. Once these conflicts are finished, it would be interesting to see what states you end up with.

I'm supportive of you plating as the Union, given that since the beginning it feels like you have been closer to it than the CSA.

Exactly my thoughts

We got a Bear Flag Revolt in this history, too. But just a little larger than the real life one.

Stick with the USA in the civil war. Also, consider some land swaps with Canada, as those borders are ugly.

Haha, gotta love those borders.

So Jacob Weller is this timeline's Abraham Lincoln? Fair enough. I like the ACW happening so early, it means the issue can be settled now and the rest of V2 will be you settling your borders and helping your allies. While it would be surprising to see the CSA win, I'd rather see you stick with the USA and just knock the southerns down.

Lincoln who? :)

Reactions:
Another cry for the union! Also i'm quite surprised by that civil war, seeing as California is usually the most powerful area that there is even a question about who would reign supreme.

Another cry for the union! Also i'm quite surprised by that civil war, seeing as California is usually the most powerful area that there is even a question about who would reign supreme.

No, I believe Washington and Oregon are actually a little better off in this timeline. California has a fairly pathetic population as well.

I support the Union too. I don't think playing the CSA make sense in this megacampaign (I don't remember you were particularly pro slavery in the previous parts).

Well now...what can I say reader but

“You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor and you will have war.”

Not only a civil war in California but one in the Union as well. Who says there isn't a cosmic joker?

Last edited:
Chapter 5 - 1853 to 1857: The American Civil War

To set the mood (it's hard to find long videos of Union music)

Yankee:
A playlist

Dixie:

With the onset of the Civil War, the election ends and the Free Soil party wins. Jacob Weller becomes president of the United States in the nation's worst hour. Unknown to him, he is a descendant of one of the great Ralf III de Gael's cousins.

fx4PmaL.jpg

All over the country, loyalty waivers. For the most part, northern troops are in the north, and southern troops in the south. A few skirmishes between two sides of mixed armies occur, however.

The CSA's capital is based in Richmond, Virginia, very close to the US's capital of Dover. The South's choice of president is Andrew Johnson, a former congressman of South Carolina. He did not ask for the position, but his early days of fighting against federal growth has made him the popular choice among the southern states.

14 and a half million people remain in the USA, while only 8 million are in the rebel states. Most of the production is also in the north.

It is estimated that the Confederate States of America's standing army totals only 30 thousand men. They started mobilizing their population the moment the war started, meaning they could be up another 120 thousand within a few months. The US army, after the loss of the Confederate Troops, is down to about 70 thousand troops, half of which are engaged in the west against Occidentalia. That war is drawing to a close, and it is decided that all loose strings should be taken care of there before the 2nd and the Territorial Armies are pulled back to deal with the CSA.

The Continental Army of 18 thousand, led by George Manuel, defends the White House and the Capital in Dover. Meanwhile, a Confederate army of 15 thousand moves through Illinois toward West Virginia, led by General Lewis Trimble, a former US general of little import. President Weller mobilizes the troops not long afterward. General Trimble and his now 20 thousand troops enter Huntington, West Virginia. Already, the CSA's mobilization is working. They are up to 70 thousand troop.

f5hAGYZ.jpg

QFC282d.jpg

HGl1avn.jpg

The 4th Army and General Wire engage the troops at Huntington. This is the first large battle of the Civil War, and people from the surrounding counties come to watch the spectacle. Some even bring blankets to lay on and food and drink to consume. They think they are in for a southern defeat. It looks mostly to be a stalement, until 15 thousand CSA reinforcements arrive and tilt the balance out of the US's favor. As the northern armies retreat, they plow into the civilians watching, and pandemonium ensues. Hundreds of civilians are mixed in with the fleeing infantry, and dozens are trampled. It is one of the US's first combat defeats, a humiliating whooping by a band of rebels, and Wire retreats further north.

a5rr5AX.jpg

lFeRrWH.jpg

Good news does reach Dover in January of 1854. Occidentalia has fallen to California, the war in the west is over.

Robert E. Lee, a veteran of both Mexican-American wars, takes control of the main CSA army, which moves into Ohio. General Dom-Martin takes control of the 4th Army and leads 40 thousand troops towards Ohio, as Baldor Hamlin leads the 2nd Army close behind. Dom-Martin engages Lee on March 12th. The battle quickly gets out of hand, and Lee makes headway. Thousands of Northern lives do nothing to change the battle. Baldor and his men come to Dom-Martin's aid a few weeks later, but before his men could meet Lee's in battle, Lee disengages and retreats, leaving a battered Dom-Martin behind. Baldor gives chase.

3OMw65W.jpg

Several more battles against Lee ensue, all with heavy losses to the US. Eventually, the US withdraws against him and moves north to recuperate.

At the same time, the Anaconda plan is put in to effect. The CSA has next to no navy, and the USA's navy has taken advantage of this by blockading nearly all of their coastal provinces. They hope to prevent the South from trading with the outside world and getting their essential goods.

QeHxd7I.jpg

Randio Caldwell leads 30 thousand troops in Virginia. 30 thousand Confederates under General Loring enter Hagerstown, Maryland, and Caldwell moves his troops to meet them. General Joseph Beatty joins Caldwell and they together engage the enemy. It is a victory, and Loring is followed into Manassas as he retreats.

5zkmXIk.jpg

Manassas is another victory, and Loring retreats to Fredericksburg.

bDLPmy3.jpg

z6Jhefq.jpg

Far to the west, the 2nd Army and the Army of the Territories return from Occidentalia. Since the war began, a CSA army under Thomas Jackson has been occupying western US territory unchallenged. Now, Amos Sedgwick and Farnsworth lead their armies against Jackson. But Jackson pulls back deep into CSA territory, and the US armies choose to instead head east to deal with the CSA incursions into Missouri.

mHmAeN8.jpg

Robert E. Lee's forces are finally defeated in Illinois In November of 1854. He, however, escapes capture and takes command of the much larger CSA army of 40 thousand some miles away in Indiana.

7ksC3w6.jpg

Knowing how fierce an enemy Lee is, 80 thousand US troops meet him in Indianapolis for the largest battle yet fought in North America. It lasts several weeks and Lee is forced to retreat. He is followed into Evansville. There, he at long last surrenders.

npkCrSO.jpg

j38JppW.jpg

After his capture, Lee requests a meeting with General Sedgwick, who agrees. The meeting is attended only by Sedgwick and Lee in a hut on the line separating north from south. The man who owned the hut, loyal to the north, allows Sedgwick to use it for the meeting graciously. Sedgwick later writes to his wife in New Jersey of the meeting:

"General Lee is an honorable men. He did not ask for mercy for himself, or pardon, or any of the sort. He simply requested his captured men of the south be spared pain and humiliation. Like himself, each man fought only for that which he is most loyal, his state."

As is the custom with captured generals, Lee is not held like a prisoner, but like a guest. Sedgwick sees to it that his 2 thousand captured men are not harmed, and they are boarded on a train headed northeast to a prisoner of war camp.

Richmond is occupied in December. The rebel leaders, especially their 'president' Johnson, have already fled south. And the rest of Virginia and Kentucky are the next targets.

4KSqTHG.jpg

Shortly after, Lee's Arlington home is occupied and turned, ironically, into a cemetery for northern combat deaths.

By 1856, the Civil War is entirely in the US's favor. Hundreds of thousands have died since the war began in August of 1853. Now all that remains is taking back the rebel territory.

9QlPHKk.jpg

QUpXyQh.jpg

President Jacob Weller signs the Emancipation Proclamation on May 24th, 1856, declaring that, come January 1st, 1857, all slaves within the Union and the rebel states will be freed. The move solves the issue that so many say caused the Civil War. After decades of political debate, slavery has come to an end in the United States.

tyuukSn.jpg

Still, the South does not surrender. In an effort to break the South's back, General Sherman conducts a campaign through Georgia, destroying infrastructure and burning down towns and villages. Thousands die, but he effectively lowers southern morale.

0pxyVoM.jpg

The war goes on, and all of the East is taken, leaving only the western rebel states. They too fall in 1857. On April 13th, 1857, the Union is reunited. Johnson meets with Weller as the war ends. This unwilling leader of the rebellion is defeated. Seeing a potential to ease relations between north and south, Weller does not charge Johnson with treason. Johnson stays in prison for a few months before being released on bond. As for the rest of the southern leaders, what can be considered crimes against citizens are punished, but for the most part treason seems to be forgiven.

5obiOfC.jpg

All that is left is rebuilding. Despite bitter feelings, President Jacob Weller does not elicit punishments or sanctions on the rebel states. Instead, Weller declares a radical rebuilding effort to bring the south out of the destruction caused by the war. He does, however, put several policies forward to prevent the resurgence of southern nationalism or slavery. Federal troops remain stationed in several hot-zones as well.

vAoPgeI.jpg

Next is what happens in Occidentalia. Now that the Freiheitspartei is in control, they apply for statehood in the Union.

SEXAeH1.jpg

We have two options:

1: We can partition Occidentalia, allowing us leverage to negotiate new borders with Canada. We would get Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and part of Columbia from Occidentalia, and Canada's provinces around Lake Erie (Detroit, Windsor, and Hamilton). Canada would get Occidentalia's Alberta and part of Columbia, and America's northern colonies of Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Manitoba.

lkcuCkP.jpg

2: We can annex Occidentalia completely. This would add a significant amount of land to our nation, but it would anger the citizens of Northern Occidentalia, who opposed statehood from the beginning. It would also do nothing to ease the US's image of mastermind in the Occidentalian Civil War.

VOTING: This vote will end 12AM EST, January 8th.

1: Partition Occidentalia

2: Annex Occidentalia

Please include either 1 or 2 in your replies.

NOTE:
-Originally, I had the partition give Canada all of British Columbia. But after looking back on it, it seemed awfully unfair to give a nonparticipant in the civil war so much land. I had to keep a little big of real timeline western Canada. And I let them keep the little bit of North Dakota they have because I like how the border isn't perfect :p

Last edited:
Well, that went fairly smoothly. Helps that the Emancipation Proclamation happened six years earlier than ours.

As for the vote: 2. United States of North America! Let's do this! :D Really though, I fear we'd just be making Canada the new rival if we went with 1. Nicer borders too in my opinion. Now we just need to deal with the Miami in the middle of America...

While I'm tempted to partition purely so we can annex Detroit, I have to go with 2, full annexation! America owns this continent, and giving land to a rival is foolish.

Fate of Occidentalia:

The borders will be settled, hopefully once and for all, and the union able to return to much needed peace and prosperity. Conquering a hostile population would only cause future harm. Canada will be a good partner in the future, rather than an enemy and foe who could easily bring in mighty European powers and partition the US for itself. Too much greedy conquest has never paid off, as evidenced by earlier parts of this AAR. It fits more with your generally pragmatic attitude too.

Fate of Occidentalia:

Whilst we would gain more in the west from a complete annexation, the gain of more developed territories in Detroit would bring far more benefit to the union.

I vote option 2. There's no need to strengthen our northern rival.