• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mexico and their allies do seem like a good target for you and yours. Both the New World and the old continent of Europe seem ready for war, so it may just be a question of time before both end up being underneath gunfire.

This completely slipped under my radar, I didn't know the V2 era had started. Loving the look of things after conversion.

How did I miss this?! Ah, no matter, late or not, here I am! :D

Sweet. I'd like my name added (you don't have to use this name. Can use an Arthurian Knight if you prefer).

I am back. The delays have been many and inconvenient. I'm in a period of transition, and I've had some difficulty with my computer. Things should be running fairly smoothly now! I've been away from my home for a while now and hadn't even realized I'd been nominated writAAR of the week! I'm just about ready to release the next chapter. Again, sorry for the delays.

Reactions:
I am back. The delays have been many and inconvenient. I'm in a period of transition, and I've had some difficulty with my computer. Things should be running fairly smoothly now! I've been away from my home for a while now and hadn't even realized I'd been nominated writAAR of the week! I'm just about ready to release the next chapter. Again, sorry for the delays.

Please, no need for apologies. I'm sure everyone is happy just to have you back.

Remember to back up your computer early and often!

Reactions:
Chapter 2 - 1836 to 1843: Revolutions

The Whigs, seeing the rising threat of Mexico and her allies, focuses their efforts at improving the pitiful US military. New military leaders are recruited, and research begins on bettering artillery technology.

FTm9UDH.jpg

Along with that, settlements and outposts are funded in the empty province of Colorado, against fierce Mexican competition. The race is on to settle what is left of North America.

CfOXtzV.jpg

In May, a diplomat from Occidentalia says his nation desires an alliance with the United States. Occidentalia, Mexico's primary ally, is a sprawling yet barren nation of only 280 thousand people, but it has a large front with the US and blocks the nation from expanding further west. The Whigs decline.

4OfM0ei.jpg

Barely a month later, another diplomat, this time from Terres du Nord, arrives offering the same thing. Terres du Nord is even less powerful, with a mere 53 thousand people spread over an area nearly as large as Occidentalia. It commands 2 brigades and only 6 ships. Still, it opens up another front against Occidentalia, and their offer is accepted.

6w2unZP.jpg

The Slave Debate is still alive in the Union, and the years since independence have not changed much. The Atlantic slave trade ended years before, but the the selling, and even breeding, of slaves has not disappeared. It seems the 19th century for America will be remembered for this issue, and it will shape many events to come.

4sJgzsk.jpg

In spring of 1837, Paraguay declared independence from Chile. Chile, embroiled in a war with several European powers, is now at war at home as well. The US secretly sends supplies to the small nation.

DIfgdk9.jpg

NOk80dx.jpg

The next revolution is in Central America. The most northern regions of Colombia have declared independence in a move inspired by the American revolution. Seizing the moment, Venezuela also declares independence, and Peru comes to the newly formed nations' aid. South America is falling apart.

pVExZtu.jpg

jpOmxqK.jpg

Within a year, Bolivia declares independence from Peru, and nearly all of South America is at war.

yPeQuwC.jpg

Mexique is made an ally in 1839, and a few months later they apply for statehood. The issue Congress finds is that Mexique controls a few detached enclaves surrounded by Mexican territory. The US could annex all of Mexique, including these parts, but risk certain war with Mexico in the near future, or the US could annex the adjacent region and allow Mexico to claim the enclaves. Allowing Mexico the isolated parts would improve the dismal relations between it and the US, but it would empower the US's primary rival.

XK5ALJv.jpg

After much discussion, Congress decides to allow Mexico the isolated provinces, while the US takes Mexique Texas and Oklahoma. With the growth in power of the US, Colombia and Occidentalia abandon their alliance with Mexico

DDgMhAv.jpg

The 1840 Presidential Election kicks off early in the year.

For a while, relations between the two nations normalize, but the issue of Colorado blocks any path to good relations. Even in 1840, the ownership of Colorado has not been decided. So too does the issue of Texas. The Mexique who joined the US cry for military action against Mexico for the past atrocities committed in the former Mexique states there.

A plan is put in place, and preparations are made. USCA is approached and an alliance is forged, while in the US military units are prepared for war, and reserves are brought to the front. Mexico still out numbers the US in the size of its standing army, but the US's technology and production outstrips Mexico's easily. Before war is declared, a new army of 7 brigades is raised, bring the standing army to 90 thousand men.

H4wegjW.jpg

In July, the Democrats win the presidency. This is not a setback for the war plans, and preparations continue.

elwJsej.jpg

In October of 1840, the case Dred Scott versus Sandford closes. It was a heated case of a slave against his owner. Scott sued his master, with the accusation that, since he resided in a free state, he is not legally a slave. The results are against him, and he remains a slave. It is a terrible blow to the abolitionist movement in the north.

oeyyr31.jpg

In contrast, a case is found in favor of slaves in an 1839 incident aboard a Spanish slave ship. The violent uprising that occurred is determined to be self defense.

WJTMpWv.jpg

At long last, the US is prepared for war. War is declared for Texas on July 9th 1841. America's allies join the war, except for the USCA, which is still at war with Colombia.

wIjidLC.jpg

2nd Army, led by General Nathaniel Farnsworth, moves into Austin, pushing a Mexican army of 30 thousand back.

Mexico begins mobilizing its reserves, and Congress mirrors. Soon, thousands of men are drafted. In September, 2nd and 3rd Armies (led by Charles Necro) defeat the next Mexican army in San Antonio, thousands of casualties on each side, but most sustained by Mexico.

fOGdVai.jpg

56KvmlN.jpg

By the New Year, the war is overwhelmingly in the US's favor, and the reserves, so unnecessary, return home. By now, most of Texas is under US control, and the Mexican military is in pieces.

48ncQAy.jpg

In September of 1842, the armies of America push far into Mexico, and the Mexican president requests peace. Congress graciously accepts.

zaQxYZx.jpg

Once a laughing stock, the US military has shown its superiority after much reform. Mexico has been pushed out of its secondary power into the position of a minor nation.

In 1843, the South American Revolutions have spread into the Caribbean, as both Cuba and the Dominican Republic declare themselves independent from de Netherlandse. Cuba declared independence first, led mostly by Dutch abolitionist sympathizers and supported by the massive amount of slaves on the island. On the island, a campaign of terror and death is raged against former slave owners, and thousands die from the violence in the opening days of the war. Not long after, the Dominican Republic follows lead. Tired of being ruled by a Dutch minority, the natives and Africans in the east of the capital island and many smaller islands in the Caribbean declare themselves an independent nation.

HsE738C.jpg

At long last, Mexico withdraws all outposts from Colorado, and the USA officially makes it a territory of the United States of America.

xy186ju.jpg

NOTE:
-If you haven't noticed, I've never liked EU4's tendency to make the New World full of only a few large, sprawling nations, especially in South America and the Caribbean.

Reactions:
If you haven't noticed, I've never liked EU4's tendency to make the New World full of only a few large, sprawling nations, especially in South America and the Caribbean.

Says the largest blob in the western hemisphere

Reactions:
The map of the Americas is changing, with many rebellions and wars. At the moment most large powers seem to be beaten back or divided in smaller constituent parts, with the exception of the United States who are steadily growing. Mexico being beaten, the next target is probably Occidentalia.

So many revolutions in the New World... if this keeps up, I won't be surprised if nations from the Old World come and try to conquer yet again. Of course, a certain democracy could always try and become the United States of North and South America... :p

Well done against Mexico. Knock out your rivals and dominate the region!