• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that foxed itself rather quickly. For now, that is. I expect a pushback.

I doubt the bishop will be back. He doesn't have connections, money or arms. The Church might get him out of trouble but he isn't getting back on the council unless anslem really puts his foot down later on.

Basically the english lords just reestablished control of the emperor. The french might try some push back because otherwise they will have no influence on the new emperor aside from when he's old enough to fight his own wars. And they need him to be invested, because France needs the empire to keep itself safe. They also want the empire to expand the kingdom on the continent so at some point they either become the most powerful faction in the empire or break away entirely.

Thing is, the english lords don't really care about france aside from their own lands and some notion of protecting Arthur's legacy. They would be much more interested in annexing the rest of the british isles and the islands further north to counter balance france and get more, safer land for themselves and their heirs.

Basically what's going to end up happening is the french trying to insist they have some rep on the council, the english saying no and then one of several things will happen depending on circumstances. Best case scenario is probably a french lord getting on the council, the English pushing for control of ireland, Scotland and the nordic islands, and the emperor learning to counterbalance the two factions effectively whilst building and maintaining the emperors power over everyone else.

All the scheming already in place. And I doubt that'll be the end of plotting.

And thank you so much, my good friend. Yesterday was a tough day for us as we held the memorial service for my brother in law (especially amid this outbreak of Covid) but for him and all of us, it seemed as if God took us by the hand and led us safely through (as He always does.) It was supposed to rain. My sister said on Wednesday that she thought it would look like rain all day, but eventually clear up so we might gather and celebrate his life. She was right. I was asked to sing to close the service and was nervous as hell as I did not know the song before Tuesday of this week and yet, I asked God to carry me through and make it as perfect as I could for my sister and her girls. Not that anyone would have said otherwise given the occasion, but many were moved after the event. My nieces spoke, as well as my sister, and all three held up under the pressure and sure sadness. Carried through by God, I am certain. My song was Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, and in every way that was the tune and mood of the day. "Be not afraid" means so much more than the simple words and I think we can all be reminded of that more and more, especially now!

I'm glad to hear it went well. It's always so hard when your friends experience such things, and all the worse when they're online: all you have is words (which are of limited comfort), and you generally lack the means to help meet physical needs or be present. But I have been and will be praying for you and your family. May you all grieve well.

A classic palace coup. Let’s hope the response doesn’t come from a hand bearing a dagger, given Siegmund’s suspected track record. And we still haven’t heard from Eadgar ... perhaps he is included in that last little hint?

Just a pawn, a playpiece between the Lords.

Fb-fb:

Yeah....trying to take over the empire with no army and already doing the thing the english lords would find challenging (the crown of france)...

Didn't think reality would ensue so quickly but good to see.
One might say that Bishop Siegmund thought he was a much bigger and better player than he really was. Caring for the new Emperor was one thing, but once back in Westminster, he ran into the true bigger and better players.

Well, that foxed itself rather quickly. For now, that is. I expect a pushback.
Outside of the Bishop, I considered there were 4 major power centers after the death of Arthur. Here you are seeing one of the four legs (and a little of the 2nd.) The council and great Lords (especially of England) were certainly going to have their say and once together, it was too powerful for the Bishop to contend with.

I doubt the bishop will be back. He doesn't have connections, money or arms. The Church might get him out of trouble but he isn't getting back on the council unless anslem really puts his foot down later on.

Basically the english lords just reestablished control of the emperor. The french might try some push back because otherwise they will have no influence on the new emperor aside from when he's old enough to fight his own wars. And they need him to be invested, because France needs the empire to keep itself safe. They also want the empire to expand the kingdom on the continent so at some point they either become the most powerful faction in the empire or break away entirely.

Thing is, the english lords don't really care about france aside from their own lands and some notion of protecting Arthur's legacy. They would be much more interested in annexing the rest of the british isles and the islands further north to counter balance france and get more, safer land for themselves and their heirs.

Basically what's going to end up happening is the french trying to insist they have some rep on the council, the english saying no and then one of several things will happen depending on circumstances. Best case scenario is probably a french lord getting on the council, the English pushing for control of ireland, Scotland and the nordic islands, and the emperor learning to counterbalance the two factions effectively whilst building and maintaining the emperors power over everyone else.
I think this is an accurate way to look at it, however this France is an interesting melange of remaining Frankish culture and a very strong British/English culture extending down through Paris and Orleans. Even in Anjou, it is ruled by the Duke of York. Many powerful Lords hold lands or vassals on both sides of the channel. In that regard, there are few powerful Lords remaining only beholden to the idea of France as a notion or pre-nation. Of them, really only Burgundy and Bourbon have strength enough to push for their agenda and so the English Lords are the true power source at least until Anselm comes of age.

All the scheming already in place. And I doubt that'll be the end of plotting.

I'm glad to hear it went well. It's always so hard when your friends experience such things, and all the worse when they're online: all you have is words (which are of limited comfort), and you generally lack the means to help meet physical needs or be present. But I have been and will be praying for you and your family. May you all grieve well.
First of all, thank you. The massive amounts of prayers and kind words have assisted us as we continue to go through the process.

As for the story, you are right to think that the plotting will not end. Some of it goes on far into the future and some is snuffed out fairly quickly.

A classic palace coup. Let’s hope the response doesn’t come from a hand bearing a dagger, given Siegmund’s suspected track record. And we still haven’t heard from Eadgar ... perhaps he is included in that last little hint?
Indeed, that's how I wanted to write the scene. Nicholas becomes a very large influence going forward and this was just his first step. And no, we have yet to hear from Eadgar. Rest assured that we will in these last scenes. ;)

Just a pawn, a playpiece between the Lords.
Aren't all minors that find themselves in a regency? Even the great Kings of the ages had this happen to them early on. Some were able to assert themselves when they came of age (see Louis XIV) and some never really took control (say, Henry VI.) Anselm has six years or so to be led before he can either lead or allow the Lords to continue jerking him around.

To all - As stated above, I wrote these last scenes to show the four major power centers after Arthur died. I considered them 1. the privy council and other great Lords, 2. Duke Nicholas, 3. Duke Eadgar and finally 4. Lady Matilda and her grandmother Queen Maud. Before we are done with the narrative and launch into the epilogues, we will hear from all of them. Hopefully it makes sense with what happens in game. Once I changed up the council, it did not take long for them to change over to Duke Stephen as Regent and I thought it made a lot of sense. The scene above was fun to write just taking the change over of the regent to its natural conclusion of Lords trading favors and influence. As guessed, more of this will happen.

Thanks again for your great readership and comments, especially after this week with everything going on. And hey...stay safe people! :)

France is an interesting melange of remaining Frankish culture and a very strong British/English culture extending down through Paris and Orleans. Even in Anjou, it is ruled by the Duke of York. Many powerful Lords hold lands or vassals on both sides of the channel.

The way I see it, either feadulism and inheritance fairly quickly splits the two realms up again within the empire or, with some effort, england and france intermix even more and become essentially one thing in terms of language, religion and to an extent, culture.

Then the empire can actually expand fairly safely because it has a strong and established heartland with the two crown union. Other kingdoms would come in, and some even with the emperor as king (scotland presumably quite soon) but I suspect that the dual monarchy is the only one that will end up sticking, unless we're talking a few centuries down the line.

Still, it would be very interesting to see what a imperial power centred around the trippers crown of England, France and Scotland would do to Euroepan progress in later centuries.

The way I see it, either feadulism and inheritance fairly quickly splits the two realms up again within the empire or, with some effort, england and france intermix even more and become essentially one thing in terms of language, religion and to an extent, culture.

Then the empire can actually expand fairly safely because it has a strong and established heartland with the two crown union. Other kingdoms would come in, and some even with the emperor as king (scotland presumably quite soon) but I suspect that the dual monarchy is the only one that will end up sticking, unless we're talking a few centuries down the line.

Still, it would be very interesting to see what a imperial power centred around the trippers crown of England, France and Scotland would do to Euroepan progress in later centuries.
As mentioned quite some time ago, I really wanted to see that too but the game just wouldn't port over due to the version I was playing. Still, the what-ifs are fascinating (especially once we get to the end of the CK period.)

Look for the next scene tomorrow.

The Song of Wessex

Westminster, England – October 1351

The two Dukes supped together in Lord Eadgar’s private chambers. It was desired to be alone and mutually agreed. This was a sounding out. One was quite possibly the preeminent Lord within England. The other was the grandson of Emperor Arthur of Britain and once considered second in line for the Imperial throne. Lord Simon chewed at the bone to get at the marrow and spoke through gritted teeth, “A fine affair...the both of them.”

“The visage they placed to the stone looked nothing like my grandfather,” Lord Eadgar suggested as he refilled their cups.

Simon tossed the empty bone aside, “They never do. No good artists to England anymore. Can’t get them unless to France.”

“Shame that,” Eadgar replied as he sat back to hold at his ale.

The Lord of Bedford laughed, “Think to tell me it is any better to Ireland, my young Lord?”

“At least it was better than that bloated body to Westminster as they placed him on display,” Eadgar took a drink, “I know not what they do, but he was scary in life. Far more frightening in death!”

Simon moved to bite into another boar rib, “Always the way. At least the coronation was a prettier picture. The young Emperor is now fully into his own.”

“Is he now?” Eadgar looked sideways before another drink, “I thought that crown would sink him for sure. Take him right off the dais.”

“Heh!” Simon laughed again, “The weight of it, sir. Not sure which holds more pounds.”

Eadgar turned with a wry grin, “Yet you stood right up front. Proud as a papa...as if he were your own son.”

“What would you have me do?” Simon shrugged as he took another bite, “He is Lord of it all, sir. I have mine and he has his and I think to make some hay while the sun still shines.”

“That’s an interesting way to put it,” Eadgar stood and walked to find another pitcher of ale, “Most do not see the sun shine as of now, my Lord. My grandfather is gone and a nine year old boy sits the throne. There are players in Scotland. Players in France. Players right here midst our very nose.”

Simon tossed another bone aside with a question to his face, “What players?”

“My Lord of Bedford...and Gloucester...you did ask for this meet,” Eadgar turned with pitcher in hand, “Happy was I to grant it. I needs must know the way the winds blow in England. I’ve been to Ireland so long...it is hard to gauge.”

“I asked for the meet for you are a revered member of House Wessex, my Lord,” Simon showed a hurt to his face, “That you are asked to travel here...to witness such things...your grandfather’s internment and the lad...the Emperor...”

Eadgar moved to pour, “I think to never get used to it. It was to be my uncle. And then his son. Now?”

“I know...a nine year old boy,” Simon went for another bite, “It must be smarting. Especially at the now.”

“That I am no longer in line?” Eadgar shifted to sit by the window, “Now must look to my cousin in Lancaster?”

Simon chuckled, “Of course you are still in line. Just a longer one. Matilda of Lancaster is just married. And no one wishes another woman.”

“Three sisters, Anselm finds,” Eadgar stated as he looked out to the night, “There remain two more if she should lack issue. It all flows now through my late cousin of Champagne, my Lord.”

“And yet you are descended directly through a male line from Arthur of Wessex, lad,” Simon encouraged through his chews, “If no thing else, it would help you in France. Worry not.”

“I’m not worried,” Eadgar looked to him with a stern eye, “I wish to know why you are here.”

Simon held the empty rib to the air, “Now we get to the meat on the bone, eh?”

“You hold a healthy appetite for one so recently finding disease, my Lord,” Eadgar kept his stare.

The Lord of Bedford placed his palms to the table, “Do you think me healthy, sir? Do you not see the pocks to my face? I have lost my hair. I am bloated and unseemly to look upon, but do I care? I do not. I am the Lord of Bedford and Gloucester. I hold vast lands throughout England and France. My son holds Northumberland and the entire north. When he inherits...there shall be no doubt. Normandy may hang themselves. It will be us and only us.”

“You’re forgetting a rather minor part,” Eadgar suggested with no smile.

Simon allowed his own, “Of course. The Emperor. That nine year old boy you wish to strangle, I might assume.”

“You’ve not the same idea?” Eadgar questioned.

The Duke washed down his last bite with ale, “I’ve barely met the lad. Bit of dust up a few weeks back...but not with him. I saw him as right as you did, my Lord. Gaining a very heavy crown indeed. One you may wish to forget for yourself if you hold any sanity.”

“You didn’t come here to enjoy a meal,” Eadgar stood and returned to the table, “You wished to sound me out...yes?”

“About what, I wonder?” Simon remained cagey.

Eadgar flashed a grin, “About your place or mine. I’m not sure which. You might elucidate if you wish to know my mind.”

“Very well,” Simon wiped his greasy fingers to his coat and leaned in, “The change at court has been rapid. No great schemers...other than mayhap the Lord of Norfolk. Never been one to do so before...yet he did oust the Bishop that claimed the regency and now holds the lad as his own. It’s like a bit of gold, my Lord. Everyone else wants it, sir. Yet who can take it?”

Eadgar caste a curious eye, “Whom do you wish to take it...my Lord?”

“I’m quite happy with the state of things,” Simon smiled, “A young Emperor? A council trying to do all things at once? A far cry from years back, I can tell you.”

“Then what’s your motive...my Lord?” Eadgar leaned in.

Simon backed away with a smile, “Who says I needs must have motive? I come as a friend. A wealthy friend. A powerful friend. You hold your power as blood royal and I hold mine as a great Lord indeed. We two should be friends. That’s all.”

“I know that I’m much younger than you, my Lord,” Eadgar sat back again with a stern eye, “That doesn’t mean that I’m naive. You’ve accomplished great things in your life...a crusader at a young age...many battles to Germany. You’ve served and you’re indeed a great Lord. Very wealthy. Very powerful. Yet there’s something that you want. Something you’re not getting from this current council or regent.”

“You’ve a suspicious mind, my Lord,” Simon grinned, “Is it always that way with Wessex, I wonder? I should ask my son. You know...I too come from that line. Long ago...but a connection. It went wayward...and now here we are. Would you wish the same?”

Eadgar made ready answer, “If I should find your coin and your prestige...mayhap.”

“And yet...you remain a blood royal, my friend,” Simon smiled, “No more power can be had but that. I do wish us to be close…to see this adventure through, such as it is. The winds will blow and we must act. For the Empire...yes?”

“And still there is more that you want,” Eadgar answered quickly.

Simon answered, “I am loathe to say poor words towards your cousin to Norfolk, my Lord...but yes. He comes to me and asks for my support. But then there is more. He wishes to go again to Normandy. And more...he looks to others within France.”

“And now we get to the meat on your bone,” Eadgar grinned, “It is personal...not political. You wish Lord Nicholas to stay his peace within Normandy and France. Is that it?”

Lord Simon replied with a serious eye, “There is more to be had from France than what we gain at the now. I am an English Lord, sir. I care not for the mixing of peoples and all that jot. That was your grandfather in his semi-lucid moments. No. We are English to Paris. Below? They still hold to Frankish ways. This entire election for young Anselm! Preposterous! I shall tell you now that Lord Nicholas has some of the same ideas...yet his are more...dirty?”

“More foul than yours?” Eadgar asked with a skewed brow.

Simon held up his hands, “Get me not wrong, my Lord. I hold a design and we have time to make of it what we will. Yet he...our Lord of Norfolk...I believe to be drunk with the power as much as any other. Do you know that he has designs to...well...I should not say what he has told me.”

“And yet you will anyway,” Eadgar showed a grin.

“You’re too smart for me, sir,” Simon poured another ale, “He sees Alan of Normandy and begs a foe.”

Eadgar answered quickly, “Not surprising. They were at war. One lost and the other won. My grandfather brokered a peace that satisfied none. Go on.”

“It goes beyond that, sir,” Simon moved to pour another for Eadgar, “Now he looks to France. He holds the lad...and his power...and sees trouble with Lord Amedee to Bourbon!”

“Then he’s moved swiftly indeed,” Eadgar grinned, “Is there more?”

“Need there be more?” Simon asked, “Lord Amedee is no friend to any here at court and was less than a hero to Germany. One might say that it was he that caused our poor Lord Jordan his captivity and now his...troubles.”

Eadgar pointed, “He is named Lord Marshal once more.”

“An empty title meant to secure Kent if no thing else, my Lord,” Simon suggested readily, “And you saw him at the coronation. A shell of the former man, would you not say?”

“I’m confused, sir,” Eadgar stated, “Do you not support Lord Nicholas in his efforts...or do you wish to bring me round to his side?”

Simon took a slow drink and then sat down the cup, “I understood there to be many benefits when the move was made to install Lord Stephen as Regent and hand over young Anselm to our Lord of Norfolk. No one wished the Bishop, to be sure. Yet one thing that was promised has not yet come about. We were told that more autonomy would be granted for we great Lords. Do you find it?”

“I’ve little issue to Ireland, my Lord,” Eadgar suggested, “My only threats are Richard of Leinster to Ormond and the Bretons who are once more at war. There remains Scotland to Connacht...but I’ve few sleepless nights about that. Should I wish it...I imagine I could be claimed King in Ireland.”

“And yet...” Simon paused, “...do you wish it?”

Eadgar skewed a brow, “You’re quizzical, my Lord, and much like my late grandfather, I’m not one for tests. If you’ve a point, I would rather hear it outright.”

“You wish to trap me, I think,” Simon stood as if to leave, “I did not gain my seat through duplicity...”

“And yet you do it so well at it now,” Eadgar answered.

Simon stopped and turned, “Very well. I tell you that the Lord of Norfolk makes a play against the Lords of Normandy and Bourbon. He’s asked for my assistance. Neither are long for this world for I said that I would help and I mean what I say...”

“Little duplicity there,” Eadgar taunted.

Simon stood taller, “And so I come here to seek your thoughts, my Lord. The game is changed. You hold the pedigree of Arthur of Wessex, sir. As much if not more than Anselm the lad. It will be years before he comes to his majority and until then...we are ruled by Norfolk and Lothian. Is that something you wish?”

“I needs must ask a simple question, my Lord,” Eadgar suggested.

Simon gave a firm nod, “Go on.”

Eadgar flashed a smile, “Were you loyal to my grandfather?”

“Of course I was loyal!” Simon was adamant, “As much as any man! Yet I held doubts even before His Majesty passed. The grandson...your cousin...no man cared for him in his last days. And now the son? We move to the edge, my Lord, and it is only we that might secure what has been built.”

“I know not what you ask of me,” Eadgar replied, “The simple fact remains that Anselm is given the throne and the crown. His eldest sister is now named his heir for the time being. At least until she has a son of her own. It matters not that I already hold an heir nor that I am descended from the male line. That is how it was designed and that is how it will play out. Unless...”

Simon perked up, “Unless?”

“Every man holds a price, my Lord Simon,” Eadgar stood and moved to him, “I would ask of you...what is yours?”

“York, my Lord,” Simon readily answered, “My son had chance to spend time with our Lord of York and Anjou as they made progress to the south. This Guy...this Lord...a young man of Rose. Seventeen now and newly married. He holds little power here to England but maintains his worth through Anjou and his title. To speak it bluntly...my son desires York and I wish Vermandois. It cannot be more simple than that.”

“I think to like you more when you were cagey, sir,” Eadgar answered with a stern brow.

Simon held tall, “You asked a pointed questioned and you gained a pointed answer. If we are to go off on this adventure...then I would hold you as part of it in every way. You asked my price? I told you. Once the pawns begin falling away, there is a path. Will you follow it?”

“With such honesty, how could I say no?” Eadgar replied with a grin.

Lord Simon stepped back with disgust, “I think you to scoff and begin to rethink approaching you on the subject!”

“My Lord...” Eadgar moved to pour another ale, “...the great Lords of the realm are a fickle bunch. Many are quite young. York...Lancaster...Cornwall...even Berry where Lord Raynaud is mine own age. And then there are the others which you represent. The last of the old guard. Lothian...Hereford...Leinster...Meath...Normandy and Bourbon. And most certainly Norfolk where my cousin resides. To which side do you think I belong?”

“There are no sides were you to be called Emperor,” Simon answered.

Eadgar turned, “And there you are wrong. Did we not just see one coup? You would wish another in so short a time? I will most certainly assist...if that is what you are asking...with Normandy, Bourbon and yes...York. But if you task me with the ultimate quest? It is a heavy crown, as we have seen, and while I am deserving of it...I question the worth.”

“It is a vast Empire,” Simon suggested, “From the north to Scotland all the way to Navarre in Iberia. It is immense power, my Lord.”

The Lord of Munster trained his stern eye to the Duke, “I’ll tell you a secret, though it is likely no secret to you. I was too young to know, but my mother has told me...a terrible fact. My father killed himself. Jumped right off the tower and landed with great prejudice against himself. To what end? His life...and his thoughts of being King. I am not my father. I hold fine lands within Ireland and if some day this crown should pass to me...I would take it up. Begrudgingly and with thoughts of my father and his wasted existence. I saw what it did to my grandfather. I saw what it did to my cousin of Champagne. I can’t say that I don’t hold the desire. Yet I question myself at every turn when my mind does go there.”

“Do you think that your cousin to Norfolk holds the same thought?” Simon questioned immediately.

Eadgar finished his drink and then answered, “He is of Wessex...as much as I am. I imagine he wishes only his own...which I do as well. Which you do, my Lord. There is some time to play and so if you wish to play then I say...make your move. Yet do not make me your cause. I will support Nicholas of Norfolk until the day that I cannot. Until then? I say...keep to Bedford as I will keep to Munster. In due time...we shall find out.”

“You are a young man,” Simon suggested, “You have time. I am to my fifties and may not.”

“Then leave it to your son,” Eadgar waved him away as he moved to pour another, “He holds the north and will gain all that you have and more. Is that not what His Majesty showed us?”

The Lord of Munster filled a second cup and handed it to the Lord of Bedford as he continued, “Fifty seven years, sir. As you might know...a lifetime. That is what Arthur of Wessex built. Took us from Kingdom to Empire. If you wish to tear that down, I will fight you. That I promise. Yet if you hold patience...all things may come.”

As mentioned quite some time ago, I really wanted to see that too but the game just wouldn't port over due to the version I was playing. Still, the what-ifs are fascinating (especially once we get to the end of the CK period.)

Recently I played an iron man game of wessex trying to mirror your efforts somewhat. I was not allowed to interfere with scotland, could only directly annex england and Wales before france, and only tributeted the Irish counts.

I must say first of all that not setting Britannia in order before expanding out makes any play through on the island much harder. With it all United, you may struggle to expand with limited naval sizes but you are at least defensively invincible. Just england on it's own is such a precarious position that I was fighting the game to both stay alive and to not expand into Britannia too quickly.

Regardless I have no doubt it is possible to play an Anglo-French union of kingdoms into EUIV, but if I were to do it the likelihood would be several long essays on how the languages intertwined and cultures became singular (and the constant battle to try to make both universal, especially in france) rather than an AAR.

I also suspect that scotland would be far less of an interest to either crown with them both allied (thus removing the third kingdoms impact on either) and Ireland may well be ignored altogether aside from perhaps much later on in industrial empire building days.

So Eadgar is an opportunist? Not rash to action, but looking for opportunities, is that so?

They were both dancing around each other - but perhaps to different tunes. Were any factions being formed, or just shadow plays, insinuation and possibilities for now? In any case, I am certain this glimpse was not offered randomly ... ;)

With all this plotting it is a wonder anything else ever gets done :)

Eadger handled that all pretty well I thought.

Fb-fb:

Recently I played an iron man game of wessex trying to mirror your efforts somewhat. I was not allowed to interfere with scotland, could only directly annex england and Wales before france, and only tributeted the Irish counts.

I must say first of all that not setting Britannia in order before expanding out makes any play through on the island much harder. With it all United, you may struggle to expand with limited naval sizes but you are at least defensively invincible. Just england on it's own is such a precarious position that I was fighting the game to both stay alive and to not expand into Britannia too quickly.

Regardless I have no doubt it is possible to play an Anglo-French union of kingdoms into EUIV, but if I were to do it the likelihood would be several long essays on how the languages intertwined and cultures became singular (and the constant battle to try to make both universal, especially in france) rather than an AAR.

I also suspect that scotland would be far less of an interest to either crown with them both allied (thus removing the third kingdoms impact on either) and Ireland may well be ignored altogether aside from perhaps much later on in industrial empire building days.
Not that what I have done here was easy, but I imagine it would be more difficult in updated versions of the game. Even here, the largest difficulty was the time it took to achieve everything. Tiny steps all along the way and in nearly 300 years, we finally have an empire. And even there, Scotland is not yet unioned (though will be soon enough.) France was actually the most satisfying moment along the way and being able to consistently beat up on the HRE have been definitely fun. However, a lot of that is the manpower France gives me that puts it over the top.

So Eadgar is an opportunist? Not rash to action, but looking for opportunities, is that so?
I'd say that's right. He's not outright saying he wants to rebel or take the crown, but if it fell in his lap, I doubt he'd say no.

They were both dancing around each other - but perhaps to different tunes. Were any factions being formed, or just shadow plays, insinuation and possibilities for now? In any case, I am certain this glimpse was not offered randomly ... ;)
In a way, this scene and the next with Maud and Matilda are an attempt to show the various factions that do indeed start up again after Arthur died. It takes a good while into Anselm's reign before he gets a handle on them (but we'll get to that in the epilogue.)

With all this plotting it is a wonder anything else ever gets done :)

Eadger handled that all pretty well I thought.
Heh! :D Yes, that is quite a lot of plotting going on and that seems right in a regency like this. Rather than focus on each and every plot or faction, I decided to sort of bring them into these some few so really, there were a lot more than this going on.

To all - Almost there, folks. Just two more narrative scenes to get to before the epilogue starts. The scene above shows that third leg of the stool of power centers after Arthur died. But rather than make Eadgar out to be plot hungry, I decided he would be a bit more cautious in his next steps. You'll see why somewhat when we get to the epilogue. On that, I am about half way through writing it (and it will be posted in pieces) so there's still a bit to go before we are finally and completely finished. In all of that, thank you as always for your excellent readership and always astute comments. I could never have done this all without you! :)

Not that what I have done here was easy, but I imagine it would be more difficult in updated versions of the game. Even here, the largest difficulty was the time it took to achieve everything. Tiny steps all along the way and in nearly 300 years, we finally have an empire. And even there, Scotland is not yet unioned (though will be soon enough.) France was actually the most satisfying moment along the way and being able to consistently beat up on the HRE have been definitely fun. However, a lot of that is the manpower France gives me that puts it over the top.

My point was rather that not conquering everything in Britannia really makes the game harder. Starting off as a count with good claims and some space to build money meant that getting to Duchy level and independence was fairly easily done (my Lancaster game demonstrates how relatively quickly this can be achieved depending on circumstances).
Going from there to king of england without cheating and becoming effective king of Wales or Ireland first however, is incredibly hard in any start period but especially the earlier ones. Your way of waiting for all the claimmaents with large armies to win or lose was in fact the best way forward, because becoming king before then means fighting all of them at once with a single Duchy of income and very rebellious vassals.

By the time I'd killed all of them and stabilised the realm, france was a much harder nut to crack because in more updated versions of the game if france falls apart, everyone invades not just germany. Fighting the muslims got me loads of holy war cred and thus wealth and prestige but fighting Italy and hre was slow going.

I still recommend new players to play in Britannia but I will double down on them ignoring the outside world and conquering as much of the islands as they can. Trying to follow actual english history of war in england and invasions of France is much, much harder.

My point was rather that not conquering everything in Britannia really makes the game harder. Starting off as a count with good claims and some space to build money meant that getting to Duchy level and independence was fairly easily done (my Lancaster game demonstrates how relatively quickly this can be achieved depending on circumstances).
Going from there to king of england without cheating and becoming effective king of Wales or Ireland first however, is incredibly hard in any start period but especially the earlier ones. Your way of waiting for all the claimmaents with large armies to win or lose was in fact the best way forward, because becoming king before then means fighting all of them at once with a single Duchy of income and very rebellious vassals.

By the time I'd killed all of them and stabilised the realm, france was a much harder nut to crack because in more updated versions of the game if france falls apart, everyone invades not just germany. Fighting the muslims got me loads of holy war cred and thus wealth and prestige but fighting Italy and hre was slow going.

I still recommend new players to play in Britannia but I will double down on them ignoring the outside world and conquering as much of the islands as they can. Trying to follow actual english history of war in england and invasions of France is much, much harder.
Frankly, the most difficult aspect of this entire playthrough was handling the passing the torch from one King to another. No matter how secure the Kingdom (or later Empire) was upon the death of the monarch, the plots and factions began immediately and always took at least 20 years before things calmed down again. I won't deny that I had a few restarts along the way (and after I started the story) because it just didn't seem realistic. That said, everything about Eadgar's rise was done within game from courtier to Earl to King and beyond. As well, everything from Eadward on was also done within game (outside of some events I just thought would happen and so I forced them - as I did to place Eadward on the throne in the first place.)

The Song of Wessex

Cupar, Scotland – December 1351

Queen Maud moved slowly within her chamber. She was packing some few items that she wished to handle rather than allowing her servants to do it. She lingered over a tartan sash that she’d given her husband Arthur years ago when they were first married. He’d only worn it some few times, but it remained a fond memory of him. She tried to recall how long ago it was that he had died. How could she forget such a crucial date? Yet it seemed like forever...an eternity without him. And then their children...first Matilda to Maine. Then young Arthur to Champagne. And finally Reginald...it still stung. Only Margaret was left and that one...the most spoiled Princess under heaven it seemed. Maud felt slightly poor that she was glad that one was away with her husband at the now. No great match, but it removed her from court...removed her and her terrible moods. Had she failed her children? Had Arthur? Possibly so.

One of her ladies in waiting begged apology when she entered and bowed, “Your Grace...you’ve a visitor.”

One of her cousins, she wondered? And if so, which? They all likely wished her away. Were she them, mayhap she would as well. She finally asked and was surprised when her granddaughter was announced. The young Lady Matilda entered and moved swiftly to kiss her cheek, “Grandmama...I am sorry that I could not come sooner.”

“You should not be here at all, sweet lass,” Maud gave her an embrace and then led her to a chair by the fire, “I told you that it is likely not safe to be near me nor Scotland.”

Matilda smiled, “Yet great-grandpapa is dead! No longer can he hurt you...or me for that matter. It is my young brother that rules at the now and I had to make progress so I might see you once again.”

“You are a dear child,” Maud caressed the girl’s face, “And brave as well. The roads this time of year can be treacherous.”

Matilda laughed, “I’ve been doing much traveling these last few months. First to Westminster where great-grandpapa was put to rest and then Anselm crowned. They wasted little time and Lord Nicholas of Norfolk rushed many of us from the west to Wales so that Anselm might be crowned King there as well.”

“I imagine that it is off to Ireland at the next?” Maud questioned as she stood to pour them both some wine.

“That is assumed,” Matilda allowed a worried eye, “Cousin Eadgar was quickly returned to Munster after the coronation and it is thought that he may be unhappy with his current role.”

Maud paused as she poured and spoke over her shoulder, “Is it considered that he may make some play for his own claim?”

“My man Gregory of Ely thinks not,” Matilda shook her head, “Nor Lady Adela of Deheubarth.”

“Ah yes...” Maud turned with a smile and two goblets of wine, “...your mother by law. I was sorry to miss your wedding to Lancaster, but I could not venture into England at that time.”

“It was quite beautiful,” Matilda admitted, “Marred only by the fact that great-grandpapa passed soon after and cut our celebration short.”

Maud sat once more, “He did always rather have that effect on things, my dear. Never one to be upstaged. Yet your husband...John, is it? How do you care for him?”

“He’s very pleasant,” Matilda showed a wide smile, “Mine own age and agreeable. He’s Lady Adela’s youngest son, so he did not hold grand ideas about ruling until I said to him that I would very much like his input and role to Lancaster. In our short marriage, he takes to it well, I believe.”

“It is a very good match,” Maud put a hand to her knee, “Frankly, I am surprised that Arthur agreed to it. Coming with it the rich heritage of Wessex in those parts, after all.”

Matilda shrugged, “I know not if he ever knew. All I know is that Gregory of Ely showed me the signed papers with his mark upon them.”

“Mayhap in his last few months, your Lord Chancellor was doing extra work to England,” Maud suggested, “Arthur seemed in no great hurry to return to Westminster. And I did understand him to be in poor health.”

“Yet what does it matter now?” Matilda placed her own hand atop her grandmother’s, “I am married now to a good man of Wessex. And while I know that I am not in line after you here to Scotland, I am second to Anselm in all other things. My children will hold the name...the House from both sides.”

Maud found a sad eye, “That is both blessing and curse, sweet Matty. You already hold great claim through your father and now your marriage gains you even more. That places you directly to harm from the many that will wish to use this time of minority. I am saddened that you will not be able to enjoy much about your early married days, dear lass. Yet there it is...the truth about claims and royalty. Now...tell me about the court to Westminster. I’ve heard some few things, but I would have you confirm them.”

“As I said...” Matilda sipped at her wine and began explaining all the events after Arthur’s death as she knew them, “...and then Lord Nicholas made his play. The Bishop was ousted and no one found harm at that. He was lucky to leave with his life and was only saved by the Archbishop of Canterbury who stripped him of his cloth and bade him never to enter England again.”

Maud listened carefully and then nodded, “This Lord of Norfolk seems a shrewd man. I cannot say that I have ever met him, yet your grandfather spoke highly of Lord Nicholas in his younger years. I know you are young, but have been schooled early in these things...do you find him a threat?”

“I think it too early to tell,” Matilda replied, “Lord Stephen of Lothian is made Regent for Anselm and Lord Nicholas has taken my brother in as guardian until he reaches maturity. The other great Lords appear to be behind both of them. The only grumbling I heard was from Lord Richard of Leinster and Lord Amedee of Bourbon.”

Maud shook her head in disdain, “Both still have designs on France, I am afraid. Were I them, I would hold extra security. Yet they shall be no bother. Anselm was proclaimed in France and I am certain they will change laws soon enough to avoid another election. Yet what of the English Lords?”

“The Lord of Kent is made Lord Marshal once more,” Matilda explained, “Few know why as Lord Jordan is not quite himself these days, I’m told. Yet no move is made to replace him. Cornwall might always be a bother, but their Lord is as young as I am. Lady Ela of Hereford has always been a dear and our castles are so close...she is much a second mother at times...”

“And what of your mother?” Maud allowed a stern eye, “Does she remain to Chatillon?”

Matilda furrowed her brow, “Nay. I’ve taken her in with my sisters, Maud and Margaret. I suppose it will be up to me to see them matched...and mama...she holds to the cloister nearby. Prays night and day.”

“She was always flighty, your mother,” Maud sipped at her wine and looked to the fire, “When she abandoned your father...it was much that did him in, I fear. Yet water under the bridge...sadly.”

“She will not speak of him...papa,” Matilda replied with aggravation.

Maud turned back with a sure eye, “Because she knows her blame and her sin. That is not yours. We both find hurt, dear girl. You’ve lost your father and I lost my son. Lost my husband prior to that. A most careless Lady, some might say. Yet you have gained a husband and soon enough, issue will follow. I am sure of it. The darkness of the past is now over. Arthur of Wessex is finally gone. I know not how I outlived him...but I have. And you are the coming light.”

“What do you think I should do?” Matilda asked with true question.

The Queen rested another calm hand to her knee, “You do no thing at the now, Matty. If you trust Lord Nicholas, then you must hold silent for the moment. Wait your chance. I wish nothing poor for my grandson, but if something should happen you must be at the ready. For the Empire...and for Scotland.”

“Yet do you think that I am at risk...truly?” Matilda asked.

Maud gave nod, “Very much so, Matty. There is no getting round it. You hold the claim...you are likely the most powerful Lady within England from your holdings and your wealth...and you are my granddaughter. Were I you, I would look to the Lord of Bedford. It is not Nicholas that is rival. It is he. The House of Wessex in Norfolk has always been close to the crown. Your grandfather said that his own father revered Nicholas the second. And this Nicholas the third surely has made some promises that he carries out at the now. Nay...it is Bedford. You would know it as he is Lord in Essex. And his son holds Northumberland to my south. That, dear lass, it the one to watch. The man may come to think he plays kingmaker.”

“Emperor maker?” Matilda grinned.

Maud playfully scolded, “Tis no laughing matter, sweet girl. Bedford himself holds some distant claim. From many years back, yet he may point to his heraldry nonetheless. By what he holds in both England and France and his son, Lord Alan...he is a most formidable man. Cousins may be a bother, but they are of Wessex as are you. That is what most Lords in England desire, at the least. This Lord of Bedford?”

“He is old,” Matilda tried to wave it away, “Fresh from injury to the war. A most jocular fellow, I found. He was always loyal to great-grandpapa. Surely he will do the same for Anselm.”

“Things have changed,” Maud suddenly found a serious face, “Arthur of Wessex was a force of nature. Few could resist him and few did. He did not lose. He reigned for fifty seven years and I was around for nearly all of it. I saw it. Yet Lords are not frightened of a nine year old child. Nor the handlers around him. Let us hope that this Lord of Norfolk is a shrewd as you say. For the vultures will be out. Already I find it here...”

“What mean you?” Matilda asked with worry.

Maud showed a caring smile, “It is not your worry, dear girl. I will handle mine own. Another bothersome cousin that I have seen before. Yet then it was the mother and now it is the son.”

“Albany?” Matilda guessed.

“What else?” Maud answered, “There is naught another within Scotland. This Gilbride calls me tyrannous. The thought! Yet he brings his Earl of Gowrie along and thinks that since Arthur of Wessex is no longer around to protect me, that I am vulnerable.”

“I will raise my men of Lancaster!” Matilda immediately answered, “I will come to your aid!”

Maud pulled her close, “You will do no such thing. You may need those men. I have always been able to hold mine own, sweet lass. I will do so again. More so...I have already sent word to the court at Westminster. I am no man’s vassal, Matty, yet Arthur of Wessex is dead. And your brother remains my grandson. The Lords surrounding him know that Scotland is part of his future. They will not abandon it.”

“Is that why you pack?” Matilda suddenly looked around the chamber.

“Of course,” Maud replied, “I must go to sanctuary for the now and wait it out. That’s the trouble with being a woman. A thing I’ve always envied in Arthur...father...son...all of them. We cannot fight our own battles. Not in this life.”

Matilda skewed her brow in frustration, “I like it not, grandmama. You are the Queen of Scotland and I am the Lady of Lancaster...all in our own right! Between us, we hold power and might. Surely that can be used...”

“Find your patience, dear girl,” Maud answered readily, “There is no other way to survive. If there is one thing I have learned after all of my years, it is that. There is much that you may do with your mind that your body is unable to match. Both are important as men will lust over you...do things that otherwise they may not. Yet it is your mind, sweet lass...that is your power. Your lands...your wealth...all good things. Yet it is that pretty head of yours that must last.”

Matilda replied readily, “It will do so, grandmama!”

“Know it, I do,” Maud leaned in to kiss her sweetly, “You’ve the blood of Wessex in you...and mine.”

I find that many wait right now. Who will tire of waiting first, I wonder?

Maud never seems to ultimately catch a break with her vassals.

This does feel so... War of the Roses-esque. At least in set-up. Eadgar in a John of Gaunt role, though like his comparison, may not actually wish the throne. He could get another crown, he says (Ireland = Castile?) Or if he does, will be wary at making plays, just because everyone is watching him because they expect him to be a potential usurper. But close enough to the king that his line could still be problematic in the future.

Likewise, Matilda is actually the closest to the throne, meaning she and any of her descendants are closer than Eadgar. Of course in the last chapter, I believe Bedford mentioned "male" line as a claim, which is what Henry IV used to claim his crown over the other Plantagenet cadet branches. That was always dubious, given the family gained both Anjou and England through claims from women, but in both cases, neither Ermengarde nor Matilda/Maud technically ruled. (The latter is for some debate of course)

But it's arguably even more dubious here, since this England has seen multiple queens! And long ruled queens! Which, strikes me as very good reason for Maud to be quite worried about Matilda's well-being. You simply can't bypass her. She'd have to be killed, and soon, before she has any children, or it becomes much, much harder to place anyone other than her family on the throne. It would have to be open rebellion, on an extremely flimsy claim.

Still, on a bookend note, it would be kind of funny to have the story end with either Anslem or Matilda being crowned in Scotland, if for no other reason than that's where it all began with Eadgar... all those centuries before.

I think edgar is going to struggle to stay out of the potlcial storm here, since everyone either wants him on their side or wont believe he will sit it out. Maybe becoming king of Ireland is actually a good idea. Would increase his neutrality and prestige for himself, be seen as a distancing and disinterest in the imperial seat and actually would help the empire in long term whatever happens.