• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fb-fb:

In the end, we all lose. The only way to win in losing, is to give what is not yours. Arthur thought himself destined for Hell. Well, we all are. But as the Confessor said, or alluded, there is an option. Did Arthur find that option in his heart? Well, at least he confessed. That is the first step. Confess. And believe.

The King, in any case, is dead. Long live the King!
He confessed, though briefly, but still thought he might do more. For good or for ill, he still thought at the end that he could win.

And so, it comes down to regency...
Indeed it does.

It took me surprisingly long to realize this was Arthur's send off, but I should have realized it the moment Eadwin made his entry. The old gang from the days of the Rightful King wasn't going to get back together for just *any* occasion.

It does serve to highlight how well Arthur lived up to his ancestors legacy... or at least his male ancestors anyway. Killing his wife, taking his brother's birthright (his by fate more than usurping from his brother's children, but same result), murdering children to claim crowns all while rationalizing it all away for some larger goal, sometimes to ghosts... he sums up all of their great sins and stands as the culmination of their successes. He was the best of Wessex. And he was the worst of Wessex.

I could say more on Arthur... but it mostly boils down to how much I hated him as a person/character (which, as I noted in the character thread, is a credit to you). So I will gracefully steal what @TheButterflyComposer said of my Geoffrey d'Anjou when his time came - for it sums up exactly how I feel about old Arthur now:
So tell me how you really feel? :p

I think you're right - of all that came before, Arthur seemed to inherit al the best AND worst of his illustrious ancestors. I'll say more below, but I am really pleased that was your reading of the scene.

Even in the end Arthur does not see and accept what he did. He gained great things but lost what was truly valuable. He still thinks his actions were justified to obtain his means. Sad in a way but I can see many breathing a sign of relief he is gone. In the end he left the empire in the hands of an unprepared 8 year old. I can not think the forces Arthur long held at bay have been waiting for such a moment. So did he really accomplish anything or just bring Wessex to the brink?
He saw it and even accepted it, to a point. But even then, could not help but still find his own sense of poor things done against him and remained insistent that he did what he did for right reasons. He did accomplish a lot. But it came at a truly great cost and this is what has haunted him.

Heh, past hospital me was so funny.

I read the chapter as soon as it went up and couldn't really think of anything to say that hadn't been said in it. In the end, the man was an absolute tyrant and mass murderer with a God complex.

However...

Let's be honest, the history books and pop history are going to eat that shit up. Future leaders, monarchs, business execs etc are all going to look to him for inspiration, Britannia has to glorify him as the founder, the enlightenment will love him for nation building and agnostic ways, the romantics will love him because he was a monster, nationalists obviously will credit him as already stated and modern people will presumably pick one of the previous viewpoints.

Then again, his reputation for what's left of the medieval and renaissance ages depends largely on
A) what his successor does
B) how long the empire lasts
C) what happens to the hre

But yeah, he's certainly going to hell.
Well, you could have said that two days ago. ;)

But I thank you and have always appreciated how you look to the larger picture of the realm and Empire. As mentioned, we'll see a little of what happens after (at least until the end of the CK era) but I really wished I could have pushed forward to the EU time frame. Sadly, my early version of the game would not port over.

To all - I have two different things to say here, both very personal. Part the one is the subject of the scene, obviously. As I began to consider how to end the work itself, months and months ago I started thinking of how to have one last dream sequence including the entire history of this full work knowing this would be the last of the Wessex saga. It wouldn't just be the end of this work but an end to the entire thing. I will say that there are five more scenes before we are done with the narrative (and they will come in the days ahead), but this would be the last of the true Wessex scenes and it was quite a challenge to pull in all of these past characters. Just trying to remember them was difficult enough, but trying to weave that into this story proved even more difficult. I actually wrote this scene before some of the previous ones you've read because I wanted to hit all of the beats between all of these characters and is likely the most difficult scene I've written within the entirety of all of this since 2016. There is/was a lot of information to impart and it's not just what happens to Arthur but relies upon the memories of you readers having read the previous stuff.

I'm not sure I captured some of the previous favorite characters as well as I desired and it was interesting to focus on some that I never focused on at all like the Confessor or Harold Godwinson. But it was fun to write and as I read your comments, I am fairly pleased that it seems like my goal was accomplished by threading the full history of Wessex into this one character at the end. It is quite true that Arthur possessed all of the best qualities of Wessex with all of the worst. That, I hope, is what makes it tragedy. I'm working on the epilogue sections as we speak after taking a healthy break from it for a time so I could come back fresh and find the right tone. I look to how to tell the rest of it and while I initially looked to the next reign and really wanted to tell it in narrative fashion, I was convinced and agree that I've pulled all the sweet nectar from this tale other than the facts. You'll read those and can see how the game ends, but this will be the last of the characters involved in which you can see and read their inner thoughts and those that lived around him and them.

The other thing I wish to say is that posting this scene on Sunday was rather bittersweet. The death of Arthur was emotional for me having spent the last year creating his character and life. However, late Saturday afternoon I received word that my sister's husband was involved in a motorcycle accident and died. He was 43. I'm having trouble just writing this because it remains shocking and so very sad. Yet I don't really know how other to process the information other than writing about it. I don't wish to bring anybody down and want to continue to focus on this story as I've spent so long working on it, but I feel the need to write about it in some way. So, I'll tell you a story...

(For those into TL ; DR, look to the bottom now)

I was born on March 18, 1973. My older sister was born 4 and a half years earlier on October 17 of 1968. Our parents were high school sweethearts, though neither of their parents were terribly excited by their pairing. I was and have been very lucky that all four of these grandparents lived into their 90's and I was mostly close to my mother's mother that I called Nana. She was a second mother to me because when I was four, my parents divorced. I won't go into details of why they did so, but suffice to say it was needed as they no longer got along. I will say that my father cheated on my mother and also that my mother has a tendency to spend beyond her means and my father is quite frugal. In the end, however, the divorce was needed. I see that now, but then I did not understand being so young. The person that helped me the most other than my grandmother Nana was my sister. And she was only 8/9 years old. We both have since had a very complicated relationship with our parents because it can be said that the divorce was not amicable. My mother remarried to a very nice man (who himself died of Leukemia in 1998 at 47 - mine own age at the now) and my father remarried to one of the women he was sleeping with who I liked quite a lot (and was an excellent cook - apropos of nothing, but I liked her and she had a son my age that was a great friend when I was young.)

So there was a new reality and not truly understanding everything, I became very close to my older sister. She took me under her wing even with doing the things elder siblings might do - "Go get me my socks" or "Hey...lets play a game...the carpet is lava and I'm the Princess so I need to ride your back to get to the couch or chair, etc." That last was a game that happened often and I was happy to play. I became the lava camel at 6 or 7 years old and even though I have back problems to this day, I would not trade those memories for the world. I depended on her and she protected me. My mom was moving into her new marriage and eventually had two more children, both daughters that I love and consider full and true sisters in every sense. I just visited my younger sister in Austin and had a wonderful time. I love each one of my three sisters with all of my heart, but the one that I hold the most affection for is my older sister. We went through the trenches together and somehow came out the other side. And I credit her for that for myself.

My older sister Tracy would get married to her own college boyfriend in 1990 and it was a wonderful wedding (in which I got quite soused after singing at her wedding.) Yet that marriage would not last long. I don't wish to go into details here either, but let us say that he (the husband) had some issues with alcoholism (which she did too) and perhaps even then his sexuality. What can be said is that they were divorced themselves within some few years and Tracy went off on an adventure. I still know her ex-husband though I have few interactions with him, but he was and is a good guy. I'm happy he has found his place within life but it was clear it was not with her and she, likewise with him. From there, my sister went searching. Tracy is bright, driven and gorgeous (though I made the mistake when she was going on a date in high school when she asked me how she looked and I said, "You look fine." For those of you with women in your life...I have learned...never tell a woman she looks "fine." Find a better descriptor!)

Anyway, after her divorce, my sister moved to Chicago for a job and when I was getting close to graduating from college myself, I wanted to move there. I didn't want to go to New York or LA for acting work. I'd been to Chicago myself and liked the people there more than NY and so we agreed that I'd move in with her. Mom and Dad weren't real happy with it, but she and I both held the attitude that they had done their thing and we were going to do ours. While we didn't get along with them, they did teach us independence well. And so I moved to Chicago. Yet Tracy was still on her journey as I was on mine. Within a month of moving there, she decided she'd had enough of Chicago (it is indeed cold most of the year and fairly dreary weather wise) and so she moved to LA herself while I stayed. Again our parents were not happy about it, but by this point Tracy wasn't talking to either of them and I was just the messenger and still on my own. I liked it and I liked it for her. She deserved whatever she could get and would get because she would indeed gain what she desired. That's how driven she was/is.

LA lasted a month for her and then she took off to France. She spent a week in Paris and then took on as an au pair in Marseilles. That lasted for about three weeks, as I remember. After that, she went to New York. She waited tables, made a life for herself and really only talked to me. There was no contact from her with our mother and father as I remained the conduit from what I heard from her as we continued to be close. It was us against the world as we had been since we were 4 and 9 years old. And by this time, our mother had found her two subsequent children, two wonderful sisters named Carly and Corinne. Carly was born in 1982 and Corinne in 1986. And then my stepfather got sick out of nowhere and within six months was dead at 47. My mother was 51 at the time.

It was 1998 and a softening to a point was found between my older sister and my mother. Having not come home or talked to her for years, Tracy did come back and was present when my stepfather was buried. She reconnected with our younger sisters and maybe starting to reconsider some of the decisions she had made. She was going to AA at the time and perhaps started to see her biological clock ticking. It was not an easy time for me either, but the less said about my decisions the better (other than I will readily admit I was a rather large pot head somehow with no money at all in Chicago still, though I was working a steady job at a law firm.) Point being, that something like my stepfather's death can make a person think and it was not long after that I decided to move back to Atlanta (where I was born and raised) and Tracy decided she wanted a child. She was pushing 30 and a woman surely thinks about such things.

Before I moved back to Atlanta in 1999, she called me and said she wanted a baby. She was willing to bring a bus boy home from the restaurant she worked at so she could get pregnant. I begged and pleaded she not do so. I guess she listened. Yet within a year, I received another call where she informed me that she was pregnant, though she was unsure of the nature of the father. He'd been involved in a knife fight outside of some bar in NY. I said be careful, but a child needs a father. I guess she listened again. My niece was born in November of 2000. She is sweet, gorgeous herself, maybe a little too needy (but I don't mind - I love hugging on her) and truly talented as she goes to art school herself in NY. And then a year later after they moved down to Miami, another girl was born. This niece was another gorgeous child and having no children myself, I have spent the last 20 years doting upon them as if they were my own because they are precious.

There was trouble in my sister's latest paring as they did not even get married until after the girls were born, but eventually they decided to do so. Not long after my 2nd niece was born, they too moved back to Atlanta and eventually joined a local church. After some time, many of the rifts within their marriage seemed to heal. I am not an organized religion kind of guy, though I am very spiritual and consider myself a Christian. Yet they two, and with their girls, committed and as of this last year were heavily involved still within that church, had started their own business in plumbing (in which my sister forced him to learn but he took to it well) that was turning out to be very successful, had seen one daughter go to college in NY and the other about to gain a scholarship in theatre to a school here in Georgia (which you might imagine I like) and had finally fallen in love. My sister likes money, no doubt. But that she can get whenever she wants. I know her. It was this other that had been found wanting. And now?

I can speak chapter and verse about how I felt about my brother in law. Yet at this time, it doesn't seem necessary. I can say that he would not have been the person I might have picked had I a choice. But I did not have that choice. It was not mine to make. What mattered was hers and this is what she found. I gained due to that choice. Two beautiful girls that I cherish as if my own. A man close to my age that I could get along with most of the time. A man of good heart, who while being a pain in the ass sometimes was giving. And most of all, a good father to two children who have now lost their father and a good husband to my sister which is all she ever deserved.

I hold a heavy heart and have since this weekend because I hate it for his parents (both still living in Texas), and I hate it for his daughters whom I love so very much that are going though something so similar to my little sisters when their father died in 1998. I hate it for all of the people that he was great at with his persona and could talk to them all - making business but pulling them in as friends (at least until he went too far, mayhaps) and I hate it...most of all...for my sister. Hate maybe is not the right word, but I don't know else how to say it. It was an accident. It happened. And now he is gone and they are where they are and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't fix that. I'm a man and pride myself (rightly or wrongly) in the idea that I can fix a problem. This one, I cannot do.

Again to the TL; DR crowd, I am sad this week. I have good friends on this forum and I hold good friends in life (one of which just lost their father at 84), but most of all, and while we may not talk much, I'm not closer to anyone as much as I am to my elder sister. And there is nothing I can do to make it right. Not for her...not the girls...not any of us.

If you've read this last portion, thank you. If not, no worries. I just needed to type out my thoughts. I can say, that much of what was suggested above has informed many of the characters I have written over the years (maybe not entirely in this work, but certainly in others.) I value this forum, and you readers, because we are a close knit family in many ways and in past circumstances you have been a help for so many when times were not quite great and so I hope that you will forgive me for writing a little mini-AAR above as I work out my thougths and feelings as to what just happened.

In short, for all of the many things within my life that I look back upon and consider hardship, they sort of pale in comparison today. Maybe always and forever. Who knows? All I know is that I was happy to complete this work, such as it is, and that I am truly grateful to all of those that had followed, read, commented and supported what I've tried to do here (and always.) My favorite quote is attributed to Jackie Robinson, "A life is not important other than the impact it makes on other lives." It may be apocryphal and misquoted, but even still...I think that it is true.

This bit reminded quite a lot of when Arthur Conan Doyle ends his novel length sherlock holmes stories with massive pov chapters of the murderer/victim explaining their life stories. Mostly because they were always Americans from the mid west or Texas. Every American in british fiction seems to be from the mid west or texas, presumably because any further east they're rebel scum. Then again Atlanta is due to be moved into the Atlantic ocean any day now...

You certainly didn't look late forties in that award speech!

Also I'd only just joined the forum when you started this whole setup off so certainly was an epic saga from my point of view.

I caught up at the perfect moment. He may have wanted to continue, but this is for the better. Eventually he'd have run out of distractions and been forced into self reflection. And if he thought this confrontation was bad, living it out for longer would have been worse.

Edit: Oh, what horrid timing for writing this. I am so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss my friend. :( I reaøly don't know what else to say. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

This bit reminded quite a lot of when Arthur Conan Doyle ends his novel length sherlock holmes stories with massive pov chapters of the murderer/victim explaining their life stories. Mostly because they were always Americans from the mid west or Texas. Every American in british fiction seems to be from the mid west or texas, presumably because any further east they're rebel scum. Then again Atlanta is due to be moved into the Atlantic ocean any day now...

You certainly didn't look late forties in that award speech!

Also I'd only just joined the forum when you started this whole setup off so certainly was an epic saga from my point of view.

I caught up at the perfect moment. He may have wanted to continue, but this is for the better. Eventually he'd have run out of distractions and been forced into self reflection. And if he thought this confrontation was bad, living it out for longer would have been worse.

Edit: Oh, what horrid timing for writing this. I am so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss my friend. :( I reaøly don't know what else to say. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sorry for your loss, coz.

Thank you all. It's been a pretty tough week for all of us. However, it's best to keep working and pushing forward. So the first of these five bits that end the piece will be next...

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle – August 1351

The padded slippers his page wore did nothing to disguise the thunderous pounding down the hallway as the Bishop’s chamber door was thrown open, “My Lord Bishop!!! The Emperor...he is...”

“Gone to God, my son?” Bishop Siegmund asked without waking for he had been up for most of the night already.

“Y...Yes, my Lord Bishop,” the page bowed quickly.

Bishop Siegmund resisted the urge to smile as he turned away from his fire, “Then move swiftly and wake the young lad. Dress him in his finest robes and meet me to the privy council chamber posthaste!”

He himself had little need to dress as word had already spread through his other servants and he knew well that young Anselm would also be ready. The Emperor was dead. Long live the Emperor. Those others to the privy council that were to court surely also knew and the Bishop was prepared. Arthur of Wessex was now gone. Siegmund was Anselm’s tutor and now ward once again. He knew the most important part of this play...control the lad.

Calmly collecting his papers, Siegmund made his way to the chamber and was met outside by the Lord Chancellor, “My Lord Bishop..what a dreadful day!”

“It remains night, my dear Lord,” Siegmund allowed a smile, “And yet, the castle is to a flurry.”

“The Emperor, sir!” Edward stood taller with shock, “He is gone from us! His poor girl is beside herself...and there is so much to do!”

Bishop Siegmund kept his smile, “Becalm yourself, my Lord. Look you there yon...there is our new Emperor.”

Earl Edward turned to see a sleepy Anselm dressed in fine robes approach with his servants. The boy was naught but nine, but held himself regally enough for his age. His father had been a Duke and Prince. His great-grandfather, the very Emperor of Britain. The Bishop was quick to take the lad by the shoulder, “It comes as a great tragedy, my young Lord...but your...”

“Great-grandpapa,” Anselm showed sadness, “I know. He was...not himself when last I met with him. I hope that he is better now.”

“God Almighty and all of His angels surely sing his praise...” the Lord Chancellor nervously made bow and struggled with his words, “...your...Your Majesty.”

Bishop Siegmund held a little tighter to the boy as he looked to Edward, “Shall we go in?”

As they entered, it was not the full compliment of the council. Yet the Lord Marshal was there standing at his full height and turned ready for battle for whatever might come. The master of spies was also there and remained skeptical after a hard ride. The Earl of Gwynedd had been found to a tavern in Paris trying to gain information but forgot any and all of that once he heard the news. Both men bowed before the young Anselm and he smiled to both as he first sat to a chair at the side of the room.

“Eh...no, Your Majesty,” the Bishop gestured to the first chair at the head of the table, “This one belongs to you now.”

Anselm did as directed and then Siegmund took the chair to the right. Lord Edward stood over him, “I do not recall you to be on council, my Lord Bishop. As tutor, you hold a fine place in his life, but this is a matter of state at the now. If you please?”

“Ah...my Lord Chancellor...” the Bishop stood with an apologetic face, “...I am sorry. Old habits, I am afraid. I am used to sitting next to him in our studies.”

Earl John crooked an eye but gestured for the other end, “You may stay, sir...for your worth in his life. Take Bishop David’s seat, if you would.”

The Lord Marshal sat to the young Emperor’s other side and Eric said not a word. It was left to Lord Edward to bring them to order, “As it is so soon after...and we are without some of our members...we must attend as we can to the most important item, my Lords. What shall we do with the Emperor’s...person?”

“Ahem...” Bishop Siegmund cleared his throat and stood once more, “...I do think we overlook the most important item, my Lord. There next to you is the Emperor’s person. He will make a fine one, I be certain, yet as he is of now yet to age...”

Eric finally spoke with a disdainful eye to the Bishop, “The great Arthur is barely cold, sir! And you would think of Regency?!”

“Must we not?” Siegmund feigned a question.

Lord Edward was quick to put his hand to the table, “The Lord Bishop is...correct in that regard. My thought remains to His Majesty...God save him...yet, there is the truth. To which one of us should the burden fall?”

“Is it too much of a burden?” Anselm looked with question to the Earl of Westmorland.

“Of course not...Your Majesty,” the Lord Chancellor tried to smile, “Only that...you do remain...of an age. And there are many items...that you may not understand as yet.”

Anselm then looked to his tutor as he spoke, “My Lord Bishop is very good at explaining things to me. He has been my tutor for some years now and I was once his ward. If one is to find the burden of caring for me then mayhap it should be his?”

“It is not a matter of caring for you...” Earl John attempted to explain before the Bishop cut him off.

“I would be most delighted to stand as your Regent, Your Majesty,” Siegmund smiled to him first and then the rest, “It is indeed a matter of caring for your person in all ways and I hope to always do so with great assistance from our God above.”

“Then...I am satisfied?” Anselm shrugged.

Lord Edward was quick to answer as the entire council looked to Siegmund, “My Lord Bishop...I do think that we should hold a vote when we are to our full compliment. Lord Stephen remains to Poitou at the now handling taxation on these new lands and the Bishop of Southwark is far to the north within England. It would not be proper...”

“I believe that he has spoken,” Bishop Siegmund gestured to Anselm, “Is he not your vassal Lord at the now? We may ask others. You, my Lord Mayor? You, my Lord of Gwynedd?”

Eric only stared with hard eyes as John answered for them both, “The young Lord Anselm is most certainly now our vassal Lord, sir. That is not the question. The matter at hand is who is to rule in his place until such time that he is able...”

“Think you Lords to question that I do not know the cares and whims of His Majesty here when I have known him for nearly all of his life?” the Bishop showed a wounded face, “That I would presume to rule when it is he that is our Emperor?”

Anselm stood before the Lord Chancellor could speak, “I know that I am young, my Lords. I must needs trust in all of you for teaching and guidance. I did never think to see such a place anytime soon...but my father passed. I would beg you not to show disfavor to the good Bishop. He has been a fine friend and a good teacher.”

The Lord Marshal leaned in close, “Are you certain...Your Majesty? It is a very important role and your great-grandfather would wish it held by the most auspicious Lord of the realm, I am certain.”

“Who is that?” Anselm asked innocently.

The others turned to one another with true question and many doubts about the leading great Lords of the Empire. It was Bishop Siegmund that smiled to them all, “You are now considering the subject and so you may see...it shall not be one of you, nor the over powered Lords of England. Not those of France. Would you wish to place His Majesty in the hands of his cousin to Munster? He that remains second in line to the throne?”

“Actually…” Lord Edward held up a hand, “...that would be his sister at the now. Lady Matilda of Lancaster.”

The Bishop kept his smile, “Even better, my Lords. Let us now hand him over to the Lady of Lancaster and her grandmother, the Queen in Scotland.”

No one to the chamber wished that. Earl John remained skeptical and questioned, “What then do you propose, my Lord Bishop? If you are to be regent, what plans have you?”

“As the Lord Chancellor suggested...” Siegmund asked with a sly voice, “...should we not have a vote first? There is a quorum.”

Anselm was quick to raise his hand and speak aye. Begrudgingly, the others followed along as they looked to each other with agitation. The Bishop wasted no time before giving nod and laying out his plans, “Obviously, we must first see the former Emperor put to his rest and given consecration. I am not certain that he was granted his final rites, but I would gladly perform those this night. He is deserving, as we all are.”

“His confessor is to him as we speak,” John replied with disdain, “Yet where will he find his final burial? To France or to England?”

“Surely England...to Westminster, my Lord!” Edward strongly suggested.

Bishop Siegmund found no trouble with that and gave nod, “Then we needs must make plans for his final progress. Word must also be sent to the other great Lords of the realm. From France all the way to Ireland. This greatest of Emperors must see them all. As will His Majesty here when he is crowned.”

“He could be crowned here,” Lord Mayor Eric suggested, “The Archbishop of Paris is in residence.”

“No,” Siegmund shook his head, “I think it should be to Westminster if that is where Arthur of Wessex is to be entombed. His first title will be the King of England and that is always the Archbishop of Canterbury that does so.”

“Not always,” John suggested, “And besides...that role is found wanting at the now. The old Archbishop is now also gone to God...some few months ago.”

Bishop Siegmund considered it and then placed a finger to the table, “Then why not our Lord Bishop David of Southwark? He may be elevated to such position and I shall take on his role here to council. I am already chaplain to His Majesty. Why not make it permanent?”

“Should not the Holy Father have a say?” Eric was quick to point out.

“Since when did our Emperor Arthur wait for Rome, sir?” the Bishop answered, “His Majesty should be crowned, and soon. We have not the time to wait for a vacillating priest.”

Earl John leaned forward, “We certainly do not have one here.”

“Besides, my Lords...” the Bishop ignored him, “...as you have guessed already, there are a great number of others that will wish to have their voice heard in the coming days. Most importantly, those here to France. Or had you forgotten?”

“My God!” Lord Edward exclaimed, “He’s right! The election! In all of this tragedy...I lost sight of it at the now.”

The Bishop grinned, “Yet I did not, my Lord. The word from His Majesty Emperor Arthur was certain and His Majesty Anselm does hold his own vote. I have it to mind that Burgundy will be on our side and so we only need one more.”

“Two more,” Earl John corrected, “You forget, my Lord Bishop, that Lord Guy in York also holds a vote from Anjou.”

“It is no matter,” the Bishop smiled, “The Lord is naught but sixteen and newly married to Lady Elisabeth’s young daughter Gaudiosa. She will follow her mother in Burgundy and then he will follow her.”

The Lord Marshal turned to the Bishop, “So who is it that you wish to convince?”

“I think we may all say that Lord Raynaud of Berry will make his own turn and who may care?” the Bishop made a play at shifting some papers before him, “And word has been for some time that the Lord of Bourbon considers his own worth for the throne. To me, my Lords...I think not. So that leaves us with the Lady Isabella of Orleans. I believe that she might be pliable.”

Earl John muttered under his breath, “Pliable with a knife to her hand.”

The Bishop ignored him, “Grant her some further title. Make her a friend, Your Majesty. She remains young and Orleans is beholden to Wessex.”

“That...sounds correct,” Anselm looked to his Lords for an answer.

Lord Edward shifted his own papers without looking up, “She would play, I believe. Not a poor thought.”

Before the others could argue, the Bishop continued, “And then there are all of those to England...Wales...Ireland. Thankfully, the laws are sound in these places, but there remain powerful Lords in all.”

“And to whom would you look at...my Lord Bishop?” Eric questioned with a surly voice.

“His cousins, obviously...” Siegmund turned to the Lord Chancellor, “...his aunt. Munster...Norfolk...Deheubarth...and yes...Lancaster.”

Earl John spoke up, “There is some truth to that. The Lady of Deheubarth has just betrothed her youngest son to the Lady Matilda. They are to be married soon as both come of age.”

“I cannot think of all of this...not this night,” Lord Edward tossed his papers aside, “It is too much!”

The Bishop smiled to him, “Yet thankfully I can, my Lord. Thus the trust that His Majesty puts to me. I hold only his best interest at heart...and if we may move through these difficult times, then His Majesty will find his crown secure and right on his head.”

Lord Eric put a strong hand to the table, “You are forgetting Lord Simon of Bedford and Gloucester and his son Lord Alan of Northumberland. You are forgetting Normandy, sir. Kent...Cornwall...Galloway to the north...Leinster as well. The Lord of Meath is powerful holding land on both sides of the Irish sea. And most importantly...Scotland, my Lord Bishop.”

“I do believe that I have mentioned Scotland...my Lord,” Siegmund grinned before looking to the Lord Chancellor, “Is not our Anselm heir to the Lady Queen?”

Lord Edward gave nod as he looked to Anselm, “You are, Your Majesty. At last glance. Your grandmother does name you her heir when she follows this same path to God.”

Before giving Anselm chance to speak, the Bishop stood and placed his hands to the table, “Then we are set, my Lords. Let us see this great Emperor placed to proper rest and secure the throne to France for His Majesty. We shall all be on fine perch when some other wishes to come along...yet we fine men...and His Majesty...will surely prevail. Long live His Majesty!”

The others followed in words but Earl John and the Lord Marshal filed out with glancing looks to the new regent. Earl Edward stayed behind to have some words of solace to the lad and moved to follow the new Emperor when Bishop Siegmund stopped him, “My Lord...mayhap another word?”

“Do you not think that you have said enough?” Edward turned with irritation.

“I did not wish to be a trouble on this already terrible night...” Siegmund pressed his arm, “...yet I do think a need for further change.”

“What now?” Edward pulled his arm away, “You would have His Majesty placed to your palace to Montargis?”

“Nay, my Lord,” the Bishop finally dropped his smile, “I would think some change to the privy council. I think not that the Lords John nor Eric care for me...and mayhap too beholden to our former Emperor.”

“Should they not be?!” Edward asked with purpose.

Bishop Siegmund found his smile once more, “Of course they should. Yet every King...every Emperor should have their own council. One of their own choosing. I have some names. Most assuredly the Lord of Kent. It was too poor what happened to him in Germany, yet his mind remains bright.”

“Then you are as addled as he is,” Lord Edward answered.

The Bishop leaned in with a warm hand, “You’ve not seen him of late. Much better and still holds a fine martial spirit. And remains a great Lord. Better than...a Lord Mayor from France, certainly! And Gwent too. They now hold a great match with Munster and their Lord. In the coming days...”

Lord Edward allowed the words to sit there for a moment before answering, “I do not not know you that well, my Lord Bishop. Mayhap that is upon me. Yet I am Lord Chancellor...or have been by the grace of God and His Majesty Arthur of Wessex. You would do well to hold your tongue a bit more within these council meetings, regent or no. We have all been doing this for quite some time, and you? Mayhap not?”

“Would Sens within Champagne assist you in coming around, my Lord?” the Bishop asked, “It is a fine country, I am told. Quite wealthy.”

“Do you think that I can be bribed?” Edward showed a shock.

The Bishop smiled again, “I think that you can do what is best for the realm...for the Empire. For His Majesty Emperor Anselm of Britain, the first of his name.”

“I will do for this last Emperor before I do for this next Emperor,” Edward replied as he moved to leave, “And then we shall see, my Lord Bishop. The Emperor is dead!”

Bishop Siegmund kept an eye to the departing Lord Chancellor and added a grin, “Long live the Emperor.”

Last edited:
Ill deeds, done cheaply. Did you ever suffer?”
Dirty deeds usually are ;)

At age eighty one and after fifty seven years as King and then Emperor, Arthur of Wessex was dead.
Don’t know how I missed (for a few days) the send off episode! :confused::eek: Have just read it now and have yet to read the post script comment response and follow-up episode.

Can’t comment right now in enough detail to do it justice, but the ghost pageant was an interesting way to ouch on those past characters that were once so central. Heavy Crowns and Bold Kings and Queens indeed! Will come back with more IDC, but for now thank you for the ride! It’s been a grand one. :)

I'm a man and pride myself (rightly or wrongly) in the idea that I can fix a problem. This one, I cannot do.
Oomph, just read the follow-up post. Setting Arthur aside for a minute, it sounds to me that by the support and love you have and will give to your sister and her girls, you are doing all you can to ‘fix’ not the problem, which is of course not subject to fixing, but its consequences, as best as can be done. Time will have to do the rest, though it will never entirely go away - and again, I don’t need to tell you that, I know, but sometimes it can help if others say what you may know is true and are trying to tell yourself, but not succeeding in the convincing.

On Arthur: he never fully embraced his dark side - mainly fending the worst demons off by self-deceit, though his conscience always nagged at him in his dream ghosts. I never hated him, so much as found the self-justification and susceptibility to honest but also sycophantic flattery a bit irksome. You always played those aspects very well and consistently, ageing him nicely into the imperious (literally :D) curmudgeon he became.

The story was always more about the Emperor than the Empire, though a great one was forged. A flawed hero/anti-hero is always more interesting and you gave us one to follow for fifty-odd years of rulership. Thank you for that - the whole Wessex saga and this last instalment deserved all the accolades, readership and dedicated commentariat it has received.

But most of all, I hope the sun shines once again for you soon. Thank you for the tale - I will follow through the epilogues.

This troublesome priest is definitely going to get ridded.

It is quite sure that this priest is a bad apple. Not before he is given the regency, he is about to give away crown lands? The cheek of it!

I wonder whether Siegmund was deliberately appointed regent or it was a game quirk to make him so (I’m too much of a newbie at CK2 to know how is usually works). But presumably he will act in Anselm’s interests - though also his own. And perhaps others’? We will find out - and being a bishop by no means makes him a saint, nor (even if he is not a blackguard) immune from legal or extrajudicial threat to his person.

Quite a bit of tension in that episode. I think the bishop won all the tricks as well. Can he keep winning? And will plot or open revolt follow - perhaps from a pretender?

Fb-fb:

Dirty deeds usually are ;)

Don’t know how I missed (for a few days) the send off episode! :confused::eek: Have just read it now and have yet to read the post script comment response and follow-up episode.

Can’t comment right now in enough detail to do it justice, but the ghost pageant was an interesting way to ouch on those past characters that were once so central. Heavy Crowns and Bold Kings and Queens indeed! Will come back with more IDC, but for now thank you for the ride! It’s been a grand one. :)
I indeed referenced AC/DC there...couldn't help myself. :D

As for the full post, I felt I needed not just a final moment for Arthur, but so too all of the others that came before given the nature of this ending. It wasn't easy getting back into their heads having written for Arthur for a year, but it was fun to try and tie it all together.

Oomph, just read the follow-up post. Setting Arthur aside for a minute, it sounds to me that by the support and love you have and will give to your sister and her girls, you are doing all you can to ‘fix’ not the problem, which is of course not subject to fixing, but its consequences, as best as can be done. Time will have to do the rest, though it will never entirely go away - and again, I don’t need to tell you that, I know, but sometimes it can help if others say what you may know is true and are trying to tell yourself, but not succeeding in the convincing.

On Arthur: he never fully embraced his dark side - mainly fending the worst demons off by self-deceit, though his conscience always nagged at him in his dream ghosts. I never hated him, so much as found the self-justification and susceptibility to honest but also sycophantic flattery a bit irksome. You always played those aspects very well and consistently, ageing him nicely into the imperious (literally :D) curmudgeon he became.

The story was always more about the Emperor than the Empire, though a great one was forged. A flawed hero/anti-hero is always more interesting and you gave us one to follow for fifty-odd years of rulership. Thank you for that - the whole Wessex saga and this last instalment deserved all the accolades, readership and dedicated commentariat it has received.

But most of all, I hope the sun shines once again for you soon. Thank you for the tale - I will follow through the epilogues.
Thank you for the kind words, sir, and indeed it is a help to hear others say words of compassion and consideration even if I've considered them already. You are right, the pain goes away a little at a time but never completely. For them far more than me as well. But I have always tried to be there for my sister and her beautiful girls that I dote upon. If nothing else, he did give them life and my sister 20 years of a happiness that had eluded her previous to that. One can take some bit of solace from that.

This troublesome priest is definitely going to get ridded.
The Bishop is definitely key for it, I can say that.

It is quite sure that this priest is a bad apple. Not before he is given the regency, he is about to give away crown lands? The cheek of it!
Glad you caught that portion. It was as much to do with gameplay (and holding too many counties) but I preferred to put that on him. :D

I wonder whether Siegmund was deliberately appointed regent or it was a game quirk to make him so (I’m too much of a newbie at CK2 to know how is usually works). But presumably he will act in Anselm’s interests - though also his own. And perhaps others’? We will find out - and being a bishop by no means makes him a saint, nor (even if he is not a blackguard) immune from legal or extrajudicial threat to his person.

Quite a bit of tension in that episode. I think the bishop won all the tricks as well. Can he keep winning? And will plot or open revolt follow - perhaps from a pretender?
I'll speak more below on the nature of the Bishop and his regency, but yes he did win his tricks this time around. That may not last for long. ;)

To all - So, the regency of the Bishop was rather sprung on me. Now this remains the vanilla game, so I don't know if a player can choose for himself in later versions but I could not immediately. That would change and I work through all of that in these last posts. However, knowing he would be there right at the start of Anselm's reign, that is why I included him in these last two chapters to set up this moment. Also the reason I decided to show such issues on council to explain why I changed it up (when in truth I did so to get the best stats I could get - even Jordan who seems to have improved.) When I reached this moment, I tried very hard to figure out (with what I know happens later) and then set up how the future is likely to play out. I have started the epilogue posts with only about 20 years so far written, but it is certainly interesting. So stay tuned for all of this. :)

Last edited:
Fb-fb:

To all - So, the regency of the Bishop was rather sprung on me. Now this remains the vanilla game, so I don't know if a player can choose for himself in later versions but I could not immediately. That would change and I work through all of that in these last posts. However, knowing he would be there right at the start of Anselm's reign, that is why I included him in these last two chapters to set up this moment. Also the reason I decided to show such issues on council to explain why I changed it up (when in truth I did so to get the best stats I could get - even Jordan who seems to have improved.) When I reached this moment, I tried very hard to figure out (with what I know happens later) and then set up how the future is likely to play out. I have started the epilogue posts with only about 20 years so far written, but it is certainly interesting. So stay tuned for all of this. :)

The Charlemagne DLC gave you the ability to designate a regent as an honorary title, but only an adult ruler can do it. So before he died Arthur could have designated a regent to rule if he became incapable or to rule for underage Anselm. But Anselm is still stuck with whatever regent Arthur might have picked, he can't pick his own. If Arthur was incapable, but still alive, the designated regent would be secure in his position, but I think with Arthur dead and Anselm underage I think the designated regent can be replaced by other councilors or family members with the random event "Due to court intrigue well beyond your present ability to comprehend, your current serving regent has been replaced with another." Anselm will not be able to designate a regent until he comes of age.

Well played, Bishop. Well played.

Arthur's dream was well done. I knew it was coming, and you did me the honour of consulting me regarding it some time ago.

You may think you did not handle some of the characters of yore as well as you might have, but I read it as these (in part) being Arthur's versions of these characters, and besides I think you realised them all very well. It was a good way of sending off the old scoundrel, defeated in death as he never was in life. A kind of pleasing symmetry to that.

As to other matters, I sorrow for the loss to your family. Be well my very dear friend. You and yours will be remembered in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Fb-fb:

The Charlemagne DLC gave you the ability to designate a regent as an honorary title, but only an adult ruler can do it. So before he died Arthur could have designated a regent to rule if he became incapable or to rule for underage Anselm. But Anselm is still stuck with whatever regent Arthur might have picked, he can't pick his own. If Arthur was incapable, but still alive, the designated regent would be secure in his position, but I think with Arthur dead and Anselm underage I think the designated regent can be replaced by other councilors or family members with the random event "Due to court intrigue well beyond your present ability to comprehend, your current serving regent has been replaced with another." Anselm will not be able to designate a regent until he comes of age.
That is good information for anyone interested in how the various versions of the game works. There are a few changes in the regency in the first few years of Anselm's reign, but indeed they were event driven rather than through choice.

Well played, Bishop. Well played.
It was, but for how long?

Arthur's dream was well done. I knew it was coming, and you did me the honour of consulting me regarding it some time ago.

You may think you did not handle some of the characters of yore as well as you might have, but I read it as these (in part) being Arthur's versions of these characters, and besides I think you realised them all very well. It was a good way of sending off the old scoundrel, defeated in death as he never was in life. A kind of pleasing symmetry to that.

As to other matters, I sorrow for the loss to your family. Be well my very dear friend. You and yours will be remembered in my thoughts and in my prayers.
That's right, these dreams reside within Arthur's head, but there were just certain traits that I had to include given that many of the former Kings had definite personalities. And I am so pleased that the scene worked as we discussed. I've always appreciated your assistance in my various works and this one is no different.

And thank you so much, my good friend. Yesterday was a tough day for us as we held the memorial service for my brother in law (especially amid this outbreak of Covid) but for him and all of us, it seemed as if God took us by the hand and led us safely through (as He always does.) It was supposed to rain. My sister said on Wednesday that she thought it would look like rain all day, but eventually clear up so we might gather and celebrate his life. She was right. I was asked to sing to close the service and was nervous as hell as I did not know the song before Tuesday of this week and yet, I asked God to carry me through and make it as perfect as I could for my sister and her girls. Not that anyone would have said otherwise given the occasion, but many were moved after the event. My nieces spoke, as well as my sister, and all three held up under the pressure and sure sadness. Carried through by God, I am certain. My song was Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, and in every way that was the tune and mood of the day. "Be not afraid" means so much more than the simple words and I think we can all be reminded of that more and more, especially now!

The Song of Wessex

Westminster, England – September 1351

Lord Nicholas could hardly believe it. While cousin Arthur had seemed out of sorts and irritable the last time he saw him, there seemed little doubt that the Emperor could live another four or five years. Such was the constitution of Arthur of Wessex. Yet some troubling reports had come to him in Norfolk over the past month that mayhap the Emperor was headed for a rough patch. Nicholas was sure that he would pull through. Alas it was not to be and it was now time for him to make good on the promise he made to his cousin. First reports coming out of France were not promising.

The Duke had made his way quickly to Westminster in hopes of witnessing the sad but still grand return of the august Emperor so that he might lie in state for some few days and allow the people of England and all else to morn their fallen leader. Yet he arrived too early and the ship carrying Arthur was not to arrive for another few days. So he was surprised to find the master if spies already to court and called out to him through the hall, “My Lord John...an unexpected encounter.”

“There is much that is unexpected in these days, my Lord,” John offered salutations with a grim face.

Nicholas saw it and questioned, “What has happened? Is there delay with either the Emperor...or the young Emperor?”

The Earl looked around the court and pulled the Duke aside to a quiet corner, “You would have to ask the Lord Chancellor for I no longer sit the council.”

“Truly that’s not so!” Nicholas exclaimed with great surprise.

John gave a terse nod, “It is so...and it is not only myself but so too the Lord Mayor Eric. He is replaced by the poor Lord of Kent and...”

“My God!” Nicholas exclaimed again, “Lord Jordan is no longer himself these days. The poor man should still be abed!”

“You are not the only that thinks so, my Lord,” John agreed, “Yet other powers are at play at the now.”

“And what of your replacement?” Nicholas asked, “Who is to take on your role?”

John pursed his brow in anger, “The Earl of Gwent. I knew the Lord’s father well and liked him. This Robert...I don’t know. Yet his sister is married to the Lord of Munster and so has much privilege it would seem.”

“Does Lord Eadgar make these changes?” Nicholas questioned with confusion, “I thought him still to Ireland though I would imagine he would come soon to court to pay his final respects to his grandfather.”

“It is not Lord Eadgar made regent...no, my Lord,” John explained with irritation, “Rather it is the Bishop of Montargis.”

Now Nicholas was truly shocked, “How is that possible? The man holds little power if any at all!”

“He holds young Anselm, my Lord,” the Earl stated with derision, “That is all the power one may require.”

Nicholas could still not believe it, “The lad is naught but nine. How could he make such a decision?”

“Whatever else his faults...” John replied, “...the Lord Bishop does hold a silver tongue and the boy follows blindly.”

“He moves swiftly,” Nicholas surveyed the crowded court, “Yet we must not allow this to stand. Yet what may we do? It is still planned to see the Emperor’s body returned to Westminster, yes?”

John allowed a nod, “His Majesty was to lie briefly in state within the Cathedral to Notre Dame before taking ship back to England. The matter of France was to be solved within that time.”

“Was it?” Nicholas asked with worry.

John allowed a disgusted smile, “Between the Ladies of Burgundy and Orleans as well as the Lord of York and Anjou, Anselm was indeed elected King of France and duly crowned. I was not surprised by Burgundy, nor even Anjou. Yet Orleans? I do not hold great trust in Lady Isabella and do maintain some suspicion about her role in the deaths of both the Prince to Scotland as well as that of her own grandmother.”

“There are many that still rumor that she had her own sister killed when she was not even twenty,” Nicholas shook his head with continued shock, “Yet His Majesty was convinced as he had Lady Adela executed.”

“I know it well, my Lord,” the Earl lowered his head in some shame, “I was there and was the one to convince His Majesty. I could not prove the part played by the current Lady of Orleans but it now makes sense. She coveted her seat. And I believe I know who assisted her.”

Nicholas again showed shock, “You do not mean...”

“The very Bishop of Montargis that now holds the regency,” Earl John showed a sure eye, “It is not proof, but now also makes sense that one of his first steps as regent was to award the Lady with Troyes in Champagne.”

The Duke took on a serious face of his own, “If you could find more proof, then that is all we might need to rid ourselves of this bothersome priest. Yet who to proclaim regent after that? I assume none of the council held great desire for the role.”

“I think the Lord Mayor might have found some desire, yet he is not senior enough,” John suggested, “Especially now that he is no longer Lord Marshal. Mayhap the Lord Chancellor presumed it would be him, but he is also not senior enough for the council as he remains an Earl. The most senior to the privy council would be Lord Stephen, the Duke of Lothian.”

“The Lord Steward is back to court already,” Nicholas suggested, “He prepares everything for His Majesty’s arrival. Shall I seek him out?”

John looked around before leaning in, “Lord Stephen is an amiable man if no lightening bolt. Mayhap just what is needed in these coming days.”

“Leave it to me,” Nicholas answered, “I made promise to His Majesty not but two months before he passed and I cannot see it unravel so quickly as this.”

Earl John gave nod and before turning away allowed a parting word, “Take a care, my Lord. I need not tell you this, but a time like this is no place for anyone that is not a wolf. Sheep should not apply for they will be consumed.”

The Duke of Norfolk agreed and bid goodbye before seeking out Lord Stephen of Lothian. He left the hall and made his way to the Steward’s chambers but was caught off guard when he bumped into the Bishop of Southwark, “My Lord Bishop...you make quick travel from the north.”

“I held little choice,” Bishop David exclaimed, “I rode like the wind and went through three mounts once I heard the news. I believe I left my traveling party back to Lincoln such was my haste. Yet what a time, my Lord! God take His Majesty Arthur in all of His Grace.”

“It is tragic news indeed,” Nicholas followed the Bishop and crossed himself as well, “Yet that is not all that transpires...”

For the next few minutes, the Duke explained everything to the Bishop and left David perplexed, “I’ll be honest with you, my Lord. I did not think the Bishop of Montargis had it in him. He has always been a scoundrel as far as I am concerned and a tool only of the Devil and not of God. Yet I must also express...I too no longer sit the council for it is said that I am to be elevated to Archbishop.”

“Canterbury?” Nicholas suggested knowing the seat empty at the moment, “Is that your price?”

Bishop David showed no smile, “I am not a man of avarice, my Lord, though I enjoy coin as much as the next. However, I would be a fool not to leap at the chance for such an esteemed position. I must admit that I have coveted it for some time and scourge myself nightly due to this sin. Yet now that it is to be mine...I must take it.”

“And so you hold no issue with this Bishop Siegmund being named Regent for young Anselm?” Nicholas pressed.

“I did not say that I would support him,” the Bishop answered, “I loathe the man. If I may see Canterbury without his support, I would gladly throw him out with all the slop.”

Lord Nicholas gave nod and a bow, “That is all I need know, my Lord Bishop...or should I say, my Lord Archbishop?”

“You are very kind, my Lord,” David smiled.

Nicholas shifted to move on but stopped, “There is sure to be a council meeting upon the return of both Arthur and Anselm. May I count on you to show?”

“If I am welcome,” David gave nod.

Nicholas smiled before walking on, “You will be most welcome, sir.”

His next stop was finally the chamber of the Lord Steward and he found Lord Stephen deep in his books, “My Lord...may I be a bother for a few moments?”

“What?” the Duke of Lothian raised his head in some confusion at first, “Oh...well...yes, of course. Please do come in, my Lord.”

“A most tragic time and I am sure that you be well busy,” Nicholas stated as he closed the door softly, “What with both a great funeral and a coronation to plan and pay for.”

Stephen lowered his head in grief, “I am truly saddened that I was unable to see His Majesty in his final months. Work to both Hainaut and Poitou after his last war. I suppose that I might be grateful that he left his great-grandson with a fine treasury but I simply cannot believe that he is gone.”

“Few may believe it, my Lord,” Nicholas shared in the grief, “I myself just saw him in the summer and found him hale and hearty.”

“And the poor lad...naught but nine,” Stephen looked up and suddenly found a frown, “...and this...this Bishop! He lords it around as if he’s the bloody Holy Father!”

“My Lord Stephen!” Nicholas feigned a shock, “I don’t believe I’ve ever heard you speak as such!”

Red in the face, the Duke held up a hand to apologize, “Pray pardon, my Lord...it is a time of grieving and my spirit gets the better of me. Yet this Bishop...he acts above his station and knows not the rules.”

“You need not apologize,” Nicholas leaned to the closed door, “And what if I were to tell you that there may be a solution?”

Stephen looked confused, “A solution, my Lord?”

Lord Nicholas gave nod and smiled, “How would you care to be regent to the young Anselm?”

“Me?!” Stephen sat back with shock, “Yet how...why?”

“It is natural,” Nicholas replied, “You see to his purse and his purse is everything. Allow this Bishop to gain control of it, and our Anselm may have little inheritance before it is done. And you are well respected by all of the great Lords, both temporal and spiritual. In truth, many have come to me begging for me to plead you this case.”

“Truly?” Stephen questioned, “They would support me?”

Nicholas gave nod, “With some few caveats...but yes.”

“What is their price?” Stephen suddenly skewed a brow.

“Spoken like a true steward,” Nicholas grinned, “Mayhap some bit more autonomy for the great Lords...at least while Anselm remains young. And I...I would like to be named his guardian. It was the wish of His Majesty not two months before he passed. I would wish to honor that.”

“You are his esteemed cousin,” Stephen softened, “I can see no reason to deny your wish. And the other? It would need to be discussed...but I can do my best.”

Nicholas gave nod and stood taller, “Your best is all that we require. We great Lords must stick together at a time like this for it can be perilous. France may be secured for the now, but you know well that such may not last. And Scotland? The Germans? They may wish to take advantage. We should never allow such things to happen to this great Empire built by His Majesty Arthur.”

“I quite agree,” Stephen stood and the two clasped arms.

Nicholas shifted to leave but stopped, “When the Lord Chancellor arrives...could you see fit to call a council meeting? Say it’s for...planning of the funeral. And leave the door unlocked. Some few other guests might arrive.”

Slightly embarrassed, Lord Stephen found a grin, “I must say...I did not think you had it in you to plot as this, my Lord Nicholas.”

“As you say...” Nicholas returned the grin, “...it is a time of grieving and my spirit gets the better of me.”

After a parting farewell, Nicholas had one more stop to make before finding his son the Earl of Devon and having a well deserved drink. Back to the great hall he went and perused the crowd before spying his intended. Weaving through, he finally reached him and clapped Lord Simon of Bedford to the back, “My Lord...what a wonder it is to see you up and around once more. You had us all in a fright for awhile.”

Lord Simon still looked a little pallid around the face but tried to smile, “It gets better every day, but I am afraid this recent news has cast a pall.”

“We are all in mourning, my Lord,” Nicholas gave a solemn nod.

Simon placed a hand to his shoulder, “Especially you, Nic. I know that you were close to your cousin. It must be doubly difficult. Made more troublesome, I am sure, by your recent...disagreement with His Majesty.”

“You speak of Normandy,” Nicholas understood.

Simon gave nod, “I do, sir. I wonder...what will you do now that he is gone? I imagine the Norman Duke may still be itching for a fight.”

“I shall have to consider it, my Lord,” Nicholas replied, “I think to have little choice. My son’s wife still sits to his prison while he has released his own brother.”

“Poor timing for it, eh?” Simon allowed a small laugh, “Or mayhap the best? We all, of course, support the young Emperor...but he is still a minor after all. What is the worst that can happen?”

Nicholas grew serious, “Mayhap what happens at the now, my Lord. Shall I fill you in?”

After explaining it to Simon, the Duke grew angry, “If some damnable Bishop comes to tell me what to do in Bedford or Gloucester, or my son to Northumberland...I know not what I will do! I did not fight wars from Germany all the way to Iberia and support this Empire just to find some bloody priest come call to my court!!”

“Is Lord Alan already to court?” Nicholas questioned as he looked around.

Simon tried to control his anger, “On the morrow. He rides down with Lord Guy of York. They both wish to be here when His Majesty’s body is returned and spy the new Emperor.”

“I think perfect timing then,” Nicholas answered, “For we have a bit of a coup planned. This Bishop of Montargis is not long for his role, my Lord. The Duke of Lothian shall be regent and I shall take on as guardian to His Majesty Anselm.”

Lord Simon skewed an eye, “Good for you and he...yet what of the rest of us?”

“Mayhap a bit more freedom?” Nicholas grinned, “And I know that you hold some few interests within France as do I. Mayhap now we may explore them together.”

Simon tried not to laugh, “You are a sly one, Nicholas. When did you gain such balls?”

“Necessity, my Lord,” Nicholas placed a hand to Simon’s shoulder, “It is the mother of invention I have been told. I think to try it.”

Now Simon really did laugh, “Then tell me when and where, my Lord. I shall be there. I’ll even bring my son and mayhap even Lord Guy. We needs must train the lad up. And if so...we’ll have the whole of the East in England to our side.”

“To the side of His Majesty Anselm, the first of his name, my Lord,” Nicholas playfully corrected, “And I will indeed be in touch.”

And then he waited for two days. On the third, the ship entered the Thames and slowly made its way to Westminster. Crowds gathered by the riverbank to watch it float by. Many held banners and more tossed petals to the water in remembrance of their fallen Emperor. Mothers cried and held close their babies. Fathers cried too. It was the first time in over ten years that Arthur of Wessex had been to England and none could miss it even in this state.

At some few chances, the Bishop of Montargis led the boy Emperor up to the deck so that his subjects might see him. None knew who he was. Yet the whispers grew and by the time they disembarked at Westminster, all knew the young lad as their new ruler. The cheers were muted due to the solemnity of the occasion, but some cries of God save the Emperor could be heard. If they were for Arthur or Anselm, no one could say.

Arthur’s body was taken to be treated so that he might rest in state in Westminster Cathedral for a further three days while the Bishop led Anselm to Arthur’s former rooms. All seemed normal and as planned until the Lord Chancellor arrived to tell Bishop Siegmund that a privy council meeting was at hand. He went as confident as he had been from the start. It waned considerably when he entered and saw the serious faces that greeted him.

His council was there, but so too were the Dukes of Norfolk, Bedford, Northumberland, York and even Cornwall. So too were the Earls of Gwynedd, Devon and Carrick. Even the Duchess of Galloway stood with the men. When he tried to speak, it was the Lord Chancellor that stopped him, “My Lord Bishop...I believe these great Lords have some few words to say.”

“Then they may present themselves to His Majesty when he finds the time to give them his audience,” Bishop Siegmund expressed in a haughty manner.

“It’s not His Majesty that we wish to speak to...sir,” Lord Simon bellowed.

Siegmund looked to Earl Edward, “What is this? There is a coronation to plan!”

“Yet not yours, my Lord Bishop,” Lord Nicholas spoke, “For the lot of us wish you not in your current position. You may retreat back to Melun if you so wish...or...”

“Or?” the Bishop stood tall and defiant, “Or what?”

It was Bishop David of Southwark that spoke next, “Or there may be some information shared that mayhap you wish not heard, my Lord Bishop. I would listen rather than speak...were I you.”

“You did see your miter, did you not?!” Bishop Siegmund looked to him with anger.

“I shall in due time,” Bishop David smiled.

Duchess Mirren of Galloway then followed, “And I believe the Lord Bishop expressed that you should remain silent.”

It was then that the Lord Chancellor moved to stand next to Lord Nicholas of Norfolk, “While I thank His Majesty for the letters patent to Sens, sir...I would be remiss not to consult with these wise great Lords upon my return. After all...we all do serve His Majesty. They, like myself, are crestfallen at the loss of such a great man as Arthur of Wessex. It was the late Emperor’s express intention that all care should be given to his great-grandson and to a man...and at least one Lady...we find the current situation untenable. Now...should you wish a trial...that may be arranged, my Lord Bishop. Otherwise...we all here do vote to see our Lord Stephen of Lothian named Regent until His Majesty should reach the age of majority.”

“You must be joking!” Bishop Siegmund looked to the quiet Duke before turning back to the others, “Him?! He knows not Anselm as I do! Has barely spent a day by his side!”

“As it is understood...neither have you,” Earl John spoke out, “His Majesty Emperor Arthur many times did name you as misguided in your affections and flitting from place to place rather than to do your duty to young Anselm when he was naught but Lord of Champagne. Make no mistake...we all here are grateful for your assistance in gaining the crown of France for His Majesty. We all do know that you had your help. A favor called in? One hand washes the other? Would you wish me to spell it out?”

The Bishop remained defiant, “You are spiteful, sir! Fired from council, you poison the ears of these Lords! Oh what a terrible thing to do to your great Emperor! When he barely makes his first steps, you wish to cut him at his knees!”

Finally Lord Stephen of Lothian stood from the table and spoke softly, “No one shall be hurt other than you, my Lord Bishop. As named regent for His Majesty, I shall make my first priority to see an investigation of these charges made by the Earl of Gwynedd. Mayhap you will stay to Westminster for a while longer after all. If, of course, that is agreed by the Archbishop of Canterbury?”

Bishop David gave nod and gestured so Lord Stephen continued, “My second priority will be to find His Majesty Emperor Arthur put to eternal rest here on these grounds and then elevate his great-grandson a fortnight from now. All the great Lords from all over the Empire will be called and Anselm, great-grandson of Arthur of Wessex will be officially named the Emperor of all Britain as well as King to England. More will come later to Wales and Ireland, or course.”

“Here, here!!” the Lords shouted and the Bishop was left speechless.

“Finally, my Lords...and to you, my Lord Bishop,” Stephen finished, “It is the recommendation that a man such as yourself...Bishop or no...should not be entrusted with the caring of our young Anselm. In your current position...under investigation...it would not do. Instead, we all do think that His Majesty should be cared for by his revered cousin Lord Nicholas of Norfolk. Are there any objections?”

As guards entered the room, not a one sounded off in the negative. Least of which was Bishop Siegmund. He was carried away and the others turned to one another with a cheer. Not a month into the new era, and the great Lords had already secured their position. And Nicholas secured Anselm. It may have been the first, but it would not be the last time it would be required.

Yeah....trying to take over the empire with no army and already doing the thing the english lords would find challenging (the crown of france)...

Didn't think reality would ensue so quickly but good to see.

Well, that foxed itself rather quickly. For now, that is. I expect a pushback.