• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As long as it doesn’t end up like a mafia war, with unseen hands guiding puppets to do the dirty stuff, all the while lurking to pounce when the quarry is weakened and isolated ... if Anselm lives to his majority, it would be a small miracle!

Fb-fb:

I find that many wait right now. Who will tire of waiting first, I wonder?
That's part of the interesting aftermath of Arthur's reign. He had his thumb down for so long, it's taking the Lords a little while to wake up and realize they have some power again.

Maud never seems to ultimately catch a break with her vassals.
She sure doesn't and now she doesn't have Arthur to protect her. That said, she handles her own fairly well this time.

This does feel so... War of the Roses-esque. At least in set-up. Eadgar in a John of Gaunt role, though like his comparison, may not actually wish the throne. He could get another crown, he says (Ireland = Castile?) Or if he does, will be wary at making plays, just because everyone is watching him because they expect him to be a potential usurper. But close enough to the king that his line could still be problematic in the future.

Likewise, Matilda is actually the closest to the throne, meaning she and any of her descendants are closer than Eadgar. Of course in the last chapter, I believe Bedford mentioned "male" line as a claim, which is what Henry IV used to claim his crown over the other Plantagenet cadet branches. That was always dubious, given the family gained both Anjou and England through claims from women, but in both cases, neither Ermengarde nor Matilda/Maud technically ruled. (The latter is for some debate of course)

But it's arguably even more dubious here, since this England has seen multiple queens! And long ruled queens! Which, strikes me as very good reason for Maud to be quite worried about Matilda's well-being. You simply can't bypass her. She'd have to be killed, and soon, before she has any children, or it becomes much, much harder to place anyone other than her family on the throne. It would have to be open rebellion, on an extremely flimsy claim.

Still, on a bookend note, it would be kind of funny to have the story end with either Anslem or Matilda being crowned in Scotland, if for no other reason than that's where it all began with Eadgar... all those centuries before.
That's why I thought it would interesting to have these few multiple views before the narrative ended so you can sort of be in their head space as the epilogue starts. In truth, even Nicholas of Wessex, Duke of Norfolk has a mild claim if others don't pan out. The only trouble with a female as heir is the France part. They still don't want a woman as monarch.

I think edgar is going to struggle to stay out of the potlcial storm here, since everyone either wants him on their side or wont believe he will sit it out. Maybe becoming king of Ireland is actually a good idea. Would increase his neutrality and prestige for himself, be seen as a distancing and disinterest in the imperial seat and actually would help the empire in long term whatever happens.
Eadgar would have to try and steal the crown of Ireland as Anselm holds it along with the thrones of England, Wales and France (and hopefully soon Scotland.)

As long as it doesn’t end up like a mafia war, with unseen hands guiding puppets to do the dirty stuff, all the while lurking to pounce when the quarry is weakened and isolated ... if Anselm lives to his majority, it would be a small miracle!
Let's just say that Anselm's reign is quite interesting. I could easily have written an entire new book on it but feared I might start getting repetitive from the previous ones.

To all - And so now here we are...the next scene follows and will end the narrative. Yet it's not quite the end just yet as I'll have some few more updates as I move through the last hundred years of the game. Quite a lot more happens, and some of it quite fascinating, but for the story itself, we are finally there. Thanks so much for following along all this time and continually giving such great feedback. :)

The Song of Wessex

Thetford, England - January 1352

As they stood staring at the tombs, Anselm asked, “Why are they not buried to Westminster with all the rest?”

“It was the choice of King Eadward,” Nicholas answered, “And they are not all buried to Westminster. The great Eadgar II is to Gainsborough with his Lady wife and Queen Hextilda. Many go on pilgrimage to pay respects. And to here too so they might give honor to King Eadward IV and Queen Judith. He wished to rest by his first wife...and I do not blame him.”

Anselm showed a curious face, “Will they do so for my father...and grandfather?”

“To Westminster?” Nicholas leaned down, “Of course! The Emperor made clear his wishes. All three are to the Cathedral as is Queen Aveline...which is odd.”

“Why?” Anselm looked up with question.

Lord Nicholas carefully tried to choose his words, “She was...said to be untrustworthy. Yet the Emperor loved her and would see himself by her side in the afterlife. Near God.”

“Is that why he never married again?” Anselm asked.

Considering all of the possibilities, Nicholas gave nod, “Mayhap so. Your great-grandfather was a complicated man. He ruled well...but he kept himself to himself. We are not to know why he did the things that he did. Only that he did them. And now...that onus falls to you, Your Majesty.”

Anselm looked around the crypt, “It is very old...this place. How many others are buried here?”

“Many,” Nicholas gestured, “Beside the King and his Queen, there you might spy Queen Mildrith. She preferred to be only Lady and Duchess at the end of her life, but was once the very Queen of France.”

“She was sister to King Eadward, yes?” the boy Emperor asked.

Nicholas gave nod, “She was. And established this place for wayward noble children. Those that had lost and needed some gain.”

“Is that why I am here?” Anselm questioned.

The Lord of Norfolk bent to a knee, “Never, Anselm. You are here to grow with your own. My grandchildren keep you company, I hope. And life at court...it is not suitable for a lad at your age.”

Anselm skewed a brow, “I like the Earl of Devon’s son...yet Aveline is a bother. Too young and does not wish to play the games that we else desire. And Constance...well...she is rather pretty.”

“And not for you, young one,” Nicholas laughed as he stood and led the way out of the crypts, “You already hold an intended.”

“To Macon,” Anselm pressed, “And so much older!”

As they moved into the light, Nicholas held an arm to his shoulder, “She is naught but sixteen, lad. And a Countess already. I am certain that Blanche will make you a fine wife in the days to come. You must only have patience.”

“I don’t want court...” Anselm suddenly declared, “...truly, uncle! It is better here...and besides...bad things happen to there.”

Nicholas gave nod, “You are thinking about the priest.”

“I don’t know what was wrong with him,” Anselm answered, “He always taught me well.”

“Not well enough,” Nicholas replied with a smile, “And now you are here. And someday...fully to Westminster. You must brace yourself for it.”

“I still don’t want it!” Anselm persisted, “Lord Stephen is kind enough...but the Lord Chancellor...the others. They want so much. Why cannot you be my regent? From here? I don’t understand what they say, but you know so much. You served my great-grandpapa and you are so well respected.”

Nicholas smiled, “Court is wherever you reside, lad. You are the Emperor and they will always follow you. Yet Norfolk is better than Westminster, I agree.”

“Or to Melun,” Anselm suggested with a sad face, “I hold few great memories to there. Great-grandpapa was nice, but...my father was hardly around. And my mama...”

“Is now to Lancaster with your sisters,” Nicholas led him to the great hall which was to have a feast later, “Are you missing of her?”

Anselm considered it for a moment before giving reply, “No. I think her to love my father more than me...even though she will not speak his name. And my sisters...so much older than I. I know them not. And I think Matilda to hate me.”

“Now why would you say that?” Nicholas stopped and turned to the boy.

“She...” Anselm thought about it, “...she was cold to me at the coronation. Not warm. Margaret was nice. Maud less so. And Matilda the least. The kindest was you. Not even the Lords...I know that I’m young...but I am now called Emperor, yes?”

Nicholas gave nod, “In every way.”

“Yet the Lord Chancellor...” Anselm shrugged his slim shoulders, “...I know not what he says. And the man from Gwent...seems to hate the man of Bedford. I like Lord Simon. A funny man. He makes jests that make me laugh. And my cousin to Munster...also cold. Does he wish my seat? I’d gladly give it to him.”

“No you will not,” Nicholas bent to a knee again, “It is not his to hold. It is not for your sister either. It is yours and only yours. All that has been built is built for you, lad. Never forget that.”

Anselm screwed his face into a frown, “I don’t understand it!”

“What don’t you understand?”

“All of it!” Anselm suggested with irritation, “It is said that Normandy and Bourbon find loss. I liked Alan of Normandy...not so much Amedee of Bourbon...but what happened to them? They were young enough. Not the age of my great-grandpapa.”

“Few men are the age of His Majesty Arthur,” Nicholas stood and lead on, “And these Lords...sometimes things will happen. And they will make fine playmates...and more will be beholden to you. The young abound within the Empire. I am old, lad. Let us die out. You require the new.”

“I don’t want the new!” Anselm stopped and held his fists to his side, “I liked the Bishop! I like you!”

Nicholas bent down with an earnest face, “I shall never leave you, Anselm. Trust me with that. You are fatherless...and with your mother as she is...”

“What of my grandmother?” Anselm stood as tall as he might, “Why does she not come to see me from Scotland?”

The Lord of Norfolk stood with a curious eye, “Would you wish to see Maud of Scotland?”

“She is my father’s mother,” Anselm showed question, “Should I not?”

Nicholas found a serious face, “As it happens, she finds herself in peril. Your cousins to Albany...they wish a fight.”

“Then should we not assist?” Anselm asked quickly.

“Your great-grandfather would...” Nicholas answered, “...yet you are now Emperor. What would you do?”

Anselm kept his frown, “I want to see her! I cannot do so if she is not safe. Yes...of course! Whatever is needed!”

Nicholas showed a smile, “I think you to have made the first official act of your reign, lad. To Scotland we go...and smart. It is your inheritance.”

“I know I’m naught but ten, uncle...” Anselm found a cautious face, “...and I don’t know any of this. France...Scotland...all of it. These are not in the books that I read. Not like this.”

The Duke knelt once more, “Yet they are, lad. From the time of Alfred the Great...all the way to Eadgar the Ætheling. Our forebears have seen this Kingdom...this Empire made strong. It is Wessex, young sir. None may compare. I know that you’ve yet found hair to your balls, but you will soon. And if you hold the blood...you will hold the nature.”

“I may hold the blood...” Anselm replied, “...yet I am a boy...a lad, as you call me. I’d rather spend my time with these cousins...not at court. I wish to enjoy it. I wish to be...a child...which I am.”

Nicholas showed a stern eye, “The Ætheling was naught but sixteen when he decided his fate. Not a boy, but a man. Yet found his place within Scotland. Bided his time and eventually secured...your throne. Others found hardships. Uhtræd the Bold...put low in health in his life. Yet he still managed to carry on and saw his brother to the throne. We two? We are descended from not one but two of King Eadgar’s issue. I hold my place here thanks to the Prince Beorhtmaer. You hold yours because Deheubarth and the crown married. We are Wessex in every sense. The great Ælfstans...Mary...Anne...and your great-grandfather. He was a man too at twenty and four, yet still a lad. Was never to see the crown as he held an older brother. Yet one man’s loss is another gain and we have seen fifty seven years of prosperity and strength. You have it in you, lad. It is a heavy crown that you wear, to be certain. Yet you are the rightful King and heir to this crown we call Empire. Hold yourself up and I will steer you as much as I am able, but be bold and make no apologies. From Eadgar to now...that is how Wessex lives.”

“You make it sound easy,” Anselm responded, “I am ten as of this summer. And I only wish to play.”

Nicholas smiled, “That is why I am here. I made promise. One given to my father that I now give to you, lad. Wessex will out. Always. I make another promise to you...no matter what I do, it will be for you. Do you trust me?”

“Of course, uncle,” Anselm gave nod.

“Then you have made your first mistake,” Nicholas grinned, “Yet we shall work on that. Stay to Thetford for the now. In time, you will find marriage to Lady Blanche of Macon. And then you will have children of your own. I’m no young man, but I will be there as long as I might. I owe it to your great-grandfather. I owe it to you.”

Anselm held a worry still to his face, “I think to find question still, uncle.”

“And your answers will come, young lad...” Nicholas replied as he stood to usher the boy into the hall, “...Your Majesty. No matter else what may be said...you are the King of England...of France. Ireland and Wales. Scotland too, someday. You are the Emperor of Britain and hold the world to your hands, lad. All you require is a dream. So what is your dream?”

THE END

Yes, what is his dream? I guess we'll be told by the history book chapters you promised us coming.

But this is the end of the saga's narrative parts. And what a ride it has been! What a pleasure to follow from start to finish! Thank you so much @coz1 !

So the the narrative portion finally comes to an end. Still looking forward to the historical epilogue to see how things turned out. Congratulations on making it over such a long time and at such a high rate of quality output.
It is a heavy crown that you wear, to be certain. Yet you are the rightful King
but be bold
Nice! ;)
So what is your dream?”
The big question. We’ll see it in general terms - if he’s given the time and power to dream it and try to fulfil it.

What a poisonous heritage, is all I could think as they spoke.

As ever, finding what the new ruler is going to do after the old one dies is an issue. If Anslem keeps things going however, I see no reason why the empire wont stick around for ages.

Then again, france is such a strong yet weak area within the empire that anything could happen in game.

And so it ends with a dream, who's circumstance, in some way, mirrors his predecessor. That's both in scene, - we were introduced to a child Arthur as well, but also in the recurring king who wasn't supposed to be king (or Emperor) in this case. In that he certainly shares that many of the Wessex kings we've journeyed with - certainly Eadgar, Eadward... though not Uthraed. Of course, they aren't descended from Uthraed... ;)

Should Anslem survive, and you have indicated he will, I'd imagine he'd lock down the British Isles and probably continue to push the HRE out of default France, as well as working to change the inheritance laws in France to primogeniture. And I don't really see any reason he wouldn't be successful. Money and power aren't too hard to come by, usually, at this stage of the game.

In any case, it is truly an accomplishment to write this much on one family/story, @coz1 and I applaud you. Thank you for your time, your efforts and your work with the Wessex clan. It was a great read, and an inspiration.

Fb-fb:

Yes, what is his dream? I guess we'll be told by the history book chapters you promised us coming.

But this is the end of the saga's narrative parts. And what a ride it has been! What a pleasure to follow from start to finish! Thank you so much @coz1 !
Thank you and indeed, yes, you will see what that dream ends up being.

So the the narrative portion finally comes to an end. Still looking forward to the historical epilogue to see how things turned out. Congratulations on making it over such a long time and at such a high rate of quality output.

Nice! ;)
The big question. We’ll see it in general terms - if he’s given the time and power to dream it and try to fulfil it.
Yes, I had to do that with the earlier works. Maybe a little hokey, but I liked it. As for how long Anselm gets a chance to do for himself, wait no further as the 1st section of the epilogue is coming right up.

What a poisonous heritage, is all I could think as they spoke.
Indeed true and part of the reason I set the scene in the crypts of Thetford. Lot of history there and while some of it was good, quite a lot was not.

As ever, finding what the new ruler is going to do after the old one dies is an issue. If Anslem keeps things going however, I see no reason why the empire wont stick around for ages.

Then again, france is such a strong yet weak area within the empire that anything could happen in game.
The new ruler never gets an easy time, no doubt. It matters not how secure the throne is. However, Anselm has some help.

Thank you coz1, for taking us on that journey.
You're very welcome and thank you for reading along and giving comment!

And so it ends with a dream, who's circumstance, in some way, mirrors his predecessor. That's both in scene, - we were introduced to a child Arthur as well, but also in the recurring king who wasn't supposed to be king (or Emperor) in this case. In that he certainly shares that many of the Wessex kings we've journeyed with - certainly Eadgar, Eadward... though not Uthraed. Of course, they aren't descended from Uthraed... ;)

Should Anslem survive, and you have indicated he will, I'd imagine he'd lock down the British Isles and probably continue to push the HRE out of default France, as well as working to change the inheritance laws in France to primogeniture. And I don't really see any reason he wouldn't be successful. Money and power aren't too hard to come by, usually, at this stage of the game.

In any case, it is truly an accomplishment to write this much on one family/story, @coz1 and I applaud you. Thank you for your time, your efforts and your work with the Wessex clan. It was a great read, and an inspiration.
You've got a pretty good idea of where things are likely to head. Those are indeed all remaining goals for me as player. The next 100 years remain plenty interesting, but Anselm's reign especially was fun.

And thank you, sir! It is an honor to have inspired and I can say that since you began, I too have been inspired by your work. It's been fun having these concurrent works going all these years. :D

To all - And so that is the narrative, folks! While I didn't get it all posted before the end of the year, that all was written before the end of December so my record stays intact. :cool: And I am about halfway through with the epilogue and with all this time at home (though I'm still working a few days at empty houses and we haven't been totally put on lock down here in Georgia) I should be able to finish it soon enough.

And while we aren't completely finished, I just want to say once more how grateful I am to have kept so many of you along for the ride for all this time! It's the most sustained and consistent work I've ever done and I could not have done it without your support, your readership at every turn and your always excellent and knowing comments! You are the best, folks! :)

Epilogue

The Song of Wessex

Epilogue

The death of Emperor Arthur of Wessex presented a quandary within the Empire for no one completely understood the political fallout that would occur after such a long reign and such a force of nature that was this great man that had taken England from Kingdom to Empire within his lifetime. It is true that Wales and Ireland were also part of the Kingdom and that France had been gained by his father, but Arthur had thrust all else aside and formed them all into what would become the most successful empire that the world had yet seen. Historians look to the various rumors, some proved and some not, and might see nefarious doings in his manner and nature, but none can say that his acts were not paramount in such a creation.

And as much as may be said about Arthur of Wessex the man, one must also look to the historical record of House Wessex when considering this period. It was not just the House of the King and then Emperor. Over centuries and through marriage within themselves, scions of Wessex abounded all over the Empire and beyond, even into the Holy Roman Empire and Italy as well as Navarre and Iberia. This would prove both a blessing and a curse in the many years to come. When a seed is planted so prodigiously, wild trees may then grow to create some chaos.

Made worse, to be sure, by the fact that the heir to this great Empire was only a nine year old boy named Anselm. That he would grow to be as great, if not greater, than his illustrious great-grandfather could not be known at this perilous time. What was known is that a ponderous vacuum of power was created when the force that was Arthur of Wessex passed away and left this minority regency instead. Had it been his first born son that inherited, it surely would not have occurred. Less certain is the case of his grandson, also named Arthur for few notes in the record suggest that he was ultimately loved or feared. Yet both died young and predeceased Arthur of Wessex and skipping two generations left those still with power any chance to play. And play they did.

As we look over the historical case of the hundred years that followed, it must first be made clear where the players were set. When Arthur of Wessex died, there were four sets of power. Certainly the privy council and by extension, the great Lords of the larger realm from Ireland to France, and most especially those within England. Second and third, by the House of Wessex itself in the guise of the Lord of Norfolk, Duke Nicholas III and then also the Lord of Munster, Duke Eadgar I who was grandson to the late Emperor. Oddly enough it was the former that was closer to the Emperor and held greater chance to find the levers of power. And finally, also an extension of Wessex, was the late Emperor’s daughter by law the Queen of Scotland and her granddaughter (and Arthur’s great-granddaughter), the Lady Matilda, Duchess of Lancaster. This last would prove an impact for not only did it include the important inheritance and inclusion of Scotland that Arthur had so long desired, but also pitted sister against brother ultimately for the Lady Matilda was the first born child of Duke Arthur of Champagne (grandson to Arthur) and upon Anselm’s coronation to King and Emperor, the law placed her second in line to the throne just behind her very young brother.

It is here that we must now focus on the more immediate actions after the death of the Emperor and none may be considered more important than the acts of the Duke of Norfolk.

1352 to 1361

Nicholas of Wessex is a controversial figure. He was the third Duke of Norfolk from this branch of Wessex and shared the same family tree of the famous Lady Emma, Duchess of Anjou. Their forebear was the first son of the historical Prince Beorhtmaer of Wessex, a great martial leader for both of his elder brothers, Kings Uhtræd and Eadward, and given right credit for building up the awesome gardens of Bath in the 12th century. By the time of the 13th century, this line had followed such that both Anjou and Norfolk were ruled by Wessex. One held an important place within France and the other had built a fine port in Norfolk. The first Nicholas of Norfolk had little accomplishment other than building said port, but was important also for building around the historical meaning of Thetford given the remains buried there. His son, the second Nicholas was a contemporary of Arthur of Wessex and was schooled by the wise Lord Bishop of Lincoln, Prince Geoffrey of Wessex. The same man that taught Arthur himself. The two would be raised together as Arthur was never considered to be King. Bishop Geoffrey was Arthur’s great uncle and the last surviving son of the late Queen Anne. These two were to be support for the House of Wessex going forward.

Then Prince Arnold died in 1280 and suddenly Arthur was presented as heir apparent. Due to their close education and friendship, it is said that a promise was made by the then King Arthur when this Nicholas died in 1309 and so it was that Nicholas III of Norfolk was raised and found benefactor in all ways by the King, his father’s great friend. Many points have been raised over the years over why more importance was not given to this sure scion of the House of Wessex. It was not as though he was incapable, nor was he a poor military leader. One might assume such a man would be important given the various campaigns of Arthur during these years. And yet he stayed to the sidelines until this very important moment in history.

A promise made, as some scholars suggest, or a time needed as others stepped forward, this third Nicholas of Norfolk found as a man of Wessex his true shining moment. Was it his place as a member of Wessex that caused what many consider the historical nature of the House at this time, or was he merely shrewd enough to wait out his moment? None can say with certainty. What cannot be said is that his efforts were wasted. Within months of the death of Emperor Arthur, Lord Nicholas of Norfolk had ousted the presumed Regent of Emperor Anselm and taken the young man into his own house and raising. More to that, the council was then made more conducive to the whims of the great Lords of the Empire, such as they were.

There were plots, to be certain. And yet at every step, this Duke found them and quashed them. Nicholas was not only made guardian of the new young Emperor, but within a year was named also Duke of Champagne (the title previously held by both Anselm and his father before him) but then called Lord Chancellor in 1354. It did not take long after that Duke Nicholas was finally named Regent for the young Anselm and this Lord’s power was complete. From that time until his death, he was the virtual ruler of this Empire of Britain.

This did not cause plots to cease, to be sure. And one that assisted him at this time is also a controversial figure. One Giselbert d’Albon would become, in time, a central figure within Anselm’s court. And a curious figure was he. For he was the son of Anselm’s great aunt Blæja. She was Emperor Arthur’s only living child left when he died and had been sent to a nunnery to live out her days. A most sad existence in her life given her early promise as Queen of Norway, but Scandinavian warfare had changed it all. Denmark was now powerful and her first husband had died early. Her second not long after. And her third was a no name Lord within Gelre. Blæja held a first daughter that still ruled as Countess to the north, but would never return to that land as times had changed and her life was at stake. But her later son would prove paramount and Lord Nicholas was more than happy to include this bright young man into his circle.

In fact, it may well be that this young man at only 24 in age assisted Nicholas of Norfolk when his political enemies of Normandy and Bourbon were murdered just after the Emperor died. More to that, another threat was ended in 1353 when none other than Duke Eadgar was found dead at only 28 and his young son Randolph was raised to Lord of Munster at 7 years of age. Between them, Nicholas and Giselbert consolidated their power, yet there remained two powerful forces that they could not as yet tame. One were the remaining great Lords that allowed some of this and chafed at other matters. The other force remained the young Emperor’s eldest sister Lady Matilda of Lancaster who would have a son named Arthur also in 1353.

More will be said about Lady Matilda as we move forward, but the fact that this new male son from the House of Wessex and named after the three Arthurs was then named heir to Anselm, it was inevitable that a clash would ensue. However, the child was just born and Nicholas of Norfolk had other matters to mind at the time. Many of the old guard of Lords were dying off. Hereford would change hands to a young son in 1354. The son of the powerful Lord Simon of Bedford and Gloucester would die in the same year leaving a boy called Andrew in his stead at age 10. It should be noted that Lord Simon had been called out for his factions soon after Nicholas took power and this was a further blow to his prestige as the young boy was now heir to the entire fortunes of this great Lord. The former regent Duke Stephen of Lothian and Lord Steward of the realm died in 1355. A calming factor for most, his duchy was taken by his son and his position on council by the Duke of York, Lord Guy. And then the respected Duchess Mirren of Galloway passed on in 1357 leaving a son Theobald as Duke in her place.

All the while, Lord Nicholas remained a pillar of stability and guided the ship of state and the young Emperor both with a firm hand and a kind tongue. While his actions behind the scenes might be considered suspect, this was no strange idea from what is known of the historical House of Wessex. The truth remains that rebellions were quashed, heresy was snuffed out and for the first time in decades, full court was finally restored to Westminster. The Duke was even able to pass through law a lowering of crown authority by the nascent Parliament that sat and enabled the great Lords the freedoms that had long been taken away from them by Emperor Arthur. From the time of the old Emperor’s death to 1357, Nicholas ruled as King and mayhap Emperor in all ways but name. He even sanctioned the great Lords full to enter into the 6th Crusade for Jerusalem called by the then Pope Gelasius II (which would prove successful by 1359 with the Knights Hospitaller taking the great city and setting up their rule.) And in one of his last acts as Regent, Nicholas accepted the marriage proposal made by the King of Galicia in which the young Emperor’s older sister Maud was betrothed to the son and heir of this King, Prince Soeiro who was not but 16. She was 21.

All of this was, of course, preamble to the events of 1358 when Anselm would come of age at 16. While some might have preferred a longer regency, this Anselm was already showing the signs of his forebears. He held intelligence and a not too distant memory of his late great-grandfather. He had found fine tutoring over the years, both by Lords temporal and spiritual. And while Nicholas himself might have preferred to keep at the reins of power, there was a trust between Emperor and Regent...young man of Wessex to his distant cousin...student to teacher and vice versa. Lord Nicholas would remain Lord Chancellor as Emperor Anselm came into his own and one of their first acts together was a petitioning to raise crown authority within France which was required before they might go for the ultimate goal.

It is here that we must look to the historical nature of France. Long since had it been an independent kingdom, having been taken and rewarded to Emperor Arthur’s father King Ælfstan II (and briefly before that by King Ælfstan’s uncle Prince then King Henry of France before he died young), the lands of what many consider the old Kingdom of France were now changed. Normandy (which had always remained a nature unto itself) as well as Anjou, Orleans and the lands surrounding Paris, including the great castle of Melun, were as English as anything the other side of the channel. However, the south as well as Champagne (even with it being held by former Princes and now Lord Nicholas) identified still as the old Franks. The Duchies of Burgundy, Bourbon and Berry never quite let go of their thought of independence or at least an old idea of Kingdom. By careful maneuvers, King Ælfstan II had ensured his son’s rule in that land by changing back to the old law of election. That Arthur lived so long, this seemed not an issue. He ruled as strongly there as he did within any other of his realms of Wales, England or Ireland. In fact, Arthur spent his last decade or more within France ruling from Melun near Paris.

When Anselm finally came into his own, this would change. It would take time to gain his desired result, as he found need along with Lord Nicholas and other English and French Lords to change the mindset, but his goal was to revoke this election of Kings within France and make it just as any other part of his realm. And yet just as he was looking to this proposition within France, tragedy struck the court of the still young Emperor Anselm. In 1361, Lord Nicholas III of Norfolk would die leaving his grandson Nicholas IV as Duke (the Earl of Devon having predeceased his father.) It was an inopportune time, as the north of England remained in flames with both heresy and a fight between Galloway and Northumberland. Further, the Emperor’s grandmother the Queen of Scotland was pursuing a Holy War against her own heretics to Caithness. There were rumors of bad actors to Central Asia that concerned many at court, but most considered it more poor for the Holy Roman Emperor. Yet most of all, young Anselm was now on his own.

One could not call the preceding decade a partnership, for one was an Emperor (albeit young) and the other a mere Duke then named guardian, Lord Chancellor and Regent. Yet Anselm had received the finest education one might have at this time. First from his father, the Duke of Champagne (though of that little can be said) and then the Bishop of Montargis who briefly tried to steal power for himself, and finally by both the late Emperor Arthur himself and then Lord Nicholas. While not a martial ruler as his great-grandfather had been (much less many past Kings of Wessex over the years), nor a particularly adept financier, Anselm would go on to prove his full worth to the House of Wessex. In his first year alone and by himself, he would accept another proposal for marriage of his other sister Margaret to the only son of the King of Navarre (who had split briefly from Brittany.) He would look past considered perfidy by the Duke of York and name Lord Guy as his new Lord Chancellor. He would create the Duchy of Ulster and then grant Countess Murron of Tyrone that seat and push his standing within Ireland. He would consider and then ultimately reject a plot against his own cousin to the Duchy of Munster, Lord Randolph. And then finally, he would push through for himself that long desired goal of primogeniture within France.

In 1362, Anselm was 18 years old. His heir was his sister’s son named Arthur who was 8. He was the King of England, Wales, Ireland and France and while he held little time with his grandmother, still due to inherit the increasing fortunes of Scotland when Queen Maud passed away. He was now married to Countess Blanche of Macon (a tumultuous affair which will be covered later) and fully into his own as Emperor of the vast lands secured by his great-grandfather. In short, his future was bright and few can look back on it now and say that it was not due to the influence of Nicholas of Wessex, third Duke of Norfolk. Wessex will out, or as it is stated Emperor Arthur once pronounced, Wessex over all. The House remained sound and then so did the Empire.

To be continued...

A very nice write-up - it sounds like Nicholas was about as honourable as any scion of Wessex could be, but his death means the young Anselm now stands effectively alone - all his triumphs and his tragedies shall be resolutely his own.

You master the history book genre as well as the narrative genre, my good man. It is a delight to read, and I read between the lines not all is well, even though Anselm turns out to be a success it seems.

another threat was ended in 1353 when none other than Duke Eadgar was found dead at only 28
Hmm, does the historical record indicate whether that was considered to be through natural causes, misadventure or even <dramatic pause> foul play? ;)

While his actions behind the scenes might be considered suspect, this was no strange idea from what is known of the historical House of Wessex.
I’m sure it was only ever business, not personal - and best not to ask him about his business. :D He did it all for the Family.

I strongly suspect Duke Nick had to do some extreme things to keep the empire together. Better perhaps that it is lost to history and just to honour his memory for what it was.

Solid enough foundations for a reign I suppose. Religious strife everywhere might be a problem though, especially in HRE. Especially as we know in hindsight that it never really goes away and will get worse with time

Anslem has some real Richard II quality when it comes to those stats (though perhaps not personality traits). Obviously, he goes on to great things, which speaks to the power of good advisors (or one specifically, at the keyboard). ;)

Eadgar departing at age 28? I'd imagine that stabilized things. Coincidence? While the young Arthur would likely be a greater long-term threat, he also likely wouldn't be an issue until after Anslem has established his power base.

Fb-fb:

A very nice write-up - it sounds like Nicholas was about as honourable as any scion of Wessex could be, but his death means the young Anselm now stands effectively alone - all his triumphs and his tragedies shall be resolutely his own.
Nicholas was definitely stabilizing, but indeed - now Anselm is on his own.

You master the history book genre as well as the narrative genre, my good man. It is a delight to read, and I read between the lines not all is well, even though Anselm turns out to be a success it seems.
There is a lot more to go through here, but true - there is an underlying thing which will be dealt with eventually.

Hmm, does the historical record indicate whether that was considered to be through natural causes, misadventure or even <dramatic pause> foul play? ;)

I’m sure it was only ever business, not personal - and best not to ask him about his business. :D He did it all for the Family.
I never thought about it, but Nicholas could easily be based on Michael Corleone were I to write it out narratively. One that never thought it would fall into his lap, but he took to it obviously well.

I strongly suspect Duke Nick had to do some extreme things to keep the empire together. Better perhaps that it is lost to history and just to honour his memory for what it was.

Solid enough foundations for a reign I suppose. Religious strife everywhere might be a problem though, especially in HRE. Especially as we know in hindsight that it never really goes away and will get worse with time
Indeed, Nicholas did. I suggested it in the narrative portion and attributed it to him here that the deaths of the Dukes of Normandy and Bourbon were murders. That is of a piece with what I've done with the rest of these men (and women) of Wessex. Just made sense.

Anslem has some real Richard II quality when it comes to those stats (though perhaps not personality traits). Obviously, he goes on to great things, which speaks to the power of good advisors (or one specifically, at the keyboard). ;)

Eadgar departing at age 28? I'd imagine that stabilized things. Coincidence? While the young Arthur would likely be a greater long-term threat, he also likely wouldn't be an issue until after Anslem has established his power base.
Indeed, Anselm didn't have really great stats but that did not stop him. There were a lot of other capable people around that assisted and given the numbers/resources at his disposal, he was able to crawl through. You may be astonished at how well he does so.

To all - You can now see why I set up Nicholas as so important in the narrative portion. I attribute some things to him that he did not do in game, but he did have a rivalry with Normandy and would eventually be named regent after he took Anselm in as ward. To me it made sense that he would be the guiding hand. As for Lord Eadgar, in-game I cannot say. He just died at 28 and good for Anselm that he did. That would be one thing the young Emperor did not have to worry about for a bit. Yet there is more out there, especially in the form of Anselm's sister (which we will get to.)

I have to say that this reign was so interesting, I really did consider writing a new book for it. In the end, I decided not to after listening to wise minds. And thank you for recognizing this different form because it is not my desired method of writing. It does, however, allow me to press through a lot of the little details and hit the major themes. I am constantly looking at little events and thinking..."hey, this could make a good story"...but in the end, this is the best way to present this final bit of gameplay. Quick and to the point. The themes, I hope, still present and the gameplay is still seen, even with this early version of the game. It really was fun as has been the writing of this. And thank you for reading and commenting on it!

The Song of Wessex

1362 to 1371

While the early promise shown by Emperor Anselm in his first few years after the regency seemed to reassure the vast Empire, none could have guessed at what this young man might eventually accomplish. As stated, this Anselm was considered a scholar and not a warrior. It was said that he often spent long hours with his Lords spiritual, both the Bishop of Westminster and the Archbishop David of Canterbury. Some suggest this was due to his early tutoring under the Bishop of Montargis while others have written that upon learning of his House’s long history and their various deeds and misdeeds, the Emperor felt need to pray for his own future and that of his realm so that he might not follow on the same path. Both are certainly possible, but let it not be said that Anselm did not inherit all of the historical traits of House Wessex in various degrees. In the first ten years after the death of his mentor Lord Nicholas, he would prove this in many ways.

There were three major areas of focus in these ten years. The first was, of course, continued expansion of the Empire built by his predecessors. In 1362, Anselm began to court the famous Captain Henry of the White Company that had held the rich lands of Toulouse for years. It was the rare situation when a mercenary company had inherited a lands after their former employer could no longer pay. While these men still took the odd bit of work from time to time, most of them set themselves up just as any other feudal land throughout Europe and by the 14th century controlled most of southern France and provided a nuisance to the Holy Roman Empire that sat to both sides in Aquitaine and the lands of Dauphine. With gifts of treasure and well crafted diplomacy, this mercenary Captain was finally induced to accept an offer of vassalage to the Empire in 1363. By a stroke, the Empire of Britain now controlled France from the channel all the way to the Mediterranean Sea. More to that, the only thing separating this area from the Empire’s territory in Navarre was the Kingdom of Leon that held vassals centered around Barcelona. It was clear than within this Emperor’s lifetime, Iberia would become a focus and the first step was to add to his list of held Kingdoms that of Aquitaine. He was crowned in Poitiers in April of that year and then turned his attentions closer to home.

It was stated above that Anselm’s relations with his Empress Blanche, the Countess of Macon in her own right, was tumultuous. This is said because many of the extant writings of the day suggest public disagreements between each other and the very important fact that after four years of marriage, no issue between them had been found. Anselm’s heir at this time remained his sister Lady Matilda’s son, young Arthur of Lancaster. Anselm’s sister was 30 and her son was now 11 (she would go on to have another son named Hugh making the situation even more perilous.) That Matilda and her husband John of Deheubarth were both of Wessex, this son was easily a focal point for any dissension and/or faction within the realm, especially within England. It soon became clear that an answer must be found for this most difficult predicament.

Spurred on by three Lords – the Lord Chancellor Guy, the Duke of York; the Earl of Gwynedd, Lord John who was no longer master of spies but remained close as Anselm had been named for the Lord’s father and Emperor Arthur’s close friend; and finally the Emperor’s cousin and most trusted confident Giselbert d’Albon now named the Earl of Hainaut – Anselm was convinced that he must find way to divorce his wife. There was no love there and his lack of an heir of his own was too problematic for the realm and risked his life and the safety of the Empire. Assisting in this was the Archbishop of Canterbury who was able to petition the Pope to gain this needed action. Due to the help given during the 6th Crusade, this Holy Father was willing to listen and finally on the grounds of consanguinity (which was spurious but existed if one wished to look back far enough) the divorce was granted in 1364. Within a month, Anselm’s council had found a suitable replacement in the guise of Lady Adelheid of Ritzebuttel, the daughter of a minor Baron within Bremen. While her station (and that of her father) were far below that of Anselm, this young Lady had three things going for her. First, it would anger the Emperor Luitpold of the Holy Roman Empire and that was never a poor thing. Second, this Lady came with her a very healthy dowry and coin was always welcomed. Finally, she was close in age with Anselm being only a year older than he and of all of those that he considered, she was the one he found most comely and suited to his tastes.

The two were married before the year was out and she was crowned Empress at Paris at the start of 1365. They would receive quite a wedding present from Anselm’s grandmother upon the occasion. Queen Maud of Scotland had been a thorn in the side to the late Emperor Arthur for quite a long time. Outlasting him gave her little satisfaction but in truth, she had found new vigor upon his death. Doubling the size of her Kingdom, her two enemies of the north had mostly been vanquished. Her cousins to Albany would remain a trouble, but she had finally subdued most of the highlands and by this time the lands of the so-called Kingdom of Moray held only Tyrconnell in Ireland and the very far north of Scotland. After this, she mostly sat quietly with few visits with her grandson and mostly took visits with her granddaughter Lady Matilda. It was true that soon after Arthur died, the young Anselm had traveled to Scotland to pay respects to his grandmother (and for his regency to gauge the temperature of the Scottish Lords) and that further another visit was made after Anselm came into his own and was fully crowned, but on both occasions the air was cold as many of the old Lords from Arthur’s reign remained and Maud held no time for them. Yet for all of this, Anselm remained her heir and she never changed it. She couldn’t. The men of her court and those from Albany and Gowrie wished no other than Anselm when she died and in December of 1364, she did that very thing at age 71. It is said that her last words as she labored to her sickbed were “I shall hold you to that promise.”

None could say for who these words were meant, but upon her death the long awaited joining of England to Scotland had been achieved. The Lords of Scotland were quick to beg Anselm take the crown and he would travel to Scone for that very reason with his new wife and Empress at the start of 1365. There he would give a great speech to all of the Lords and Ladies present, hand out many titles to those that had been loyal to his grandmother (creating the Duchy of Connacht and giving it to Countess Isabella of Dublin, and presenting the Duchy of Albany to Countess Sheena of Gowrie) and calling many other great Lords and Ladies to Cupar for a grand tourney to be held upon the spring. Foremost of these was his eldest sister who would not compete but he demanded she be there nonetheless. And now we must look further to the Lady Matilda of Lancaster.

There had been rumors that upon the birth of her first son Arthur, that Lady Matilda began plotting something untoward against her brother the Emperor. Nothing has ever been found to be true but some few letters recovered later between herself and her grandmother the Queen of Scotland. Yet nothing within these letters mentions murder or anything of the such. However it is easy to see why she might desire to remove her young brother when she held a perfectly reasonable alternative. Young, male and of Wessex and more, beholden to her and not some other. Lancaster remained prosperous and she was the second most preeminent Lord within England after Lord Simon of Bedford and Gloucester (and of Wessex, she was – perhaps more important.) Close to her grandmother and perhaps having learned the same disdain for the reign of Emperor Arthur from this great Queen, Lady Matilda never warmed to the reign of her brother. She remained distant and never came to court. She was guarded and did not receive his ambassadors leaving that to Queen Maud in Scotland. Some even said that she was instrumental in creating the fire within the north when the Duke of Northumberland and his Earl of Galloway went to war against one another some few times over. In short, she inherited the role of her grandmother thwarting the Empire just as much as Anselm inherited the realm of his grandmother upon her death.

Maybe she was bitter that she had been pushed aside as heir to Scotland. Maybe she held the same bitterness that once her son was born, she was pushed aside as heir to the Empire itself. Yet it cannot be said that she ever softened her views towards her younger brother and his crowning to Scone and subsequent call for a tourney was the culmination of her refusal to bend the knee fully. When called forth, she would not come. As the tourney began, and the longer she did not show, Anselm became more and more incensed. Finally by April when the otherwise successful tournament was over, the Emperor held no other choice. After close conference with his most trusted advisor and cousin Lord Giselbert, the call was made that his soldiers would travel to Lancaster and compel her to appear before him. Such an affront could not be allowed and so they went forth. The Lady Matilda was faced with two choices. Refuse once more and risk a martial fight (and possible disinheritance of her sons and line) or submit. It was not an easy choice and once the soldiers of Britain arrived at her gates, she would take a full day to decide. It is said that she finally made her decision after a look to her young son Arthur and knowing that she herself would never be Queen nor Emperor could not risk the same for her son. Lady Matilda opened her gates and allowed them to take her to Cupar where the Emperor still held court. Neither sibling conducted themselves with any great glory or grace once she arrived. Anselm remained angered over her recalcitrance and Matilda could not let go of her bitterness. There was no familial love between them and eventually Anselm felt forced to dictate to her. And so he punished her.

It can be said with sadness that Lady Matilda spent the rest of her life under lock and key. 30 years old and she would never find freedom again. She would remain as prisoner to Cupar as a reminder why this sad impasse had occurred. Her eldest son Arthur would be taken in by Anselm as ward and raised to court at Westminster. Her husband John of Deheubarth was entrusted with the ruling of Lancaster with a heavy thumb over his decisions by Anselm’s council. And Anselm himself would never see his sister again. It is an irony that all of this sad episode happened due to their shared history and that of their House – the plotting, the imprisonment, the harshness of it all. It might have been avoided had one or the other found more love or affection towards the other. It might have also caused further troubles down the line, but the circumstances were too much for the actors involved. Anselm remained a young Emperor and while he held a solid hold to his realms, this particular risk was too important to ignore any longer. Yet it is true that within a year, he had divorced his wife, inherited Scotland, and then imprisoned his own sister for life.

The third major focus of these years would be in keeping with the other ideas of this early part of Anselm’s reign. Having learned under regency, he was able to take the reins of power, but this same regency had allowed his powerful Lords to grow stronger and more independent (and some have suggested that this was one of the great failings of Lord Nicholas during his time as Regent.) Foremost among them was the family of Lord Simon of Bedford and Gloucester. His son had been the Duke of Northumberland before his untimely death and now his grandson Lord Andrew ruled there instead. In his mid twenties, this young Duke knew what would come to him eventually upon the death of Lord Simon and allowed some of this hubris to create great troubles to the north.

His Earl David of Galloway had been imprisoned by Lord Andrew in 1362, but either out of kindness or an attempt to push this Earl for worse crimes, released him soon after. Whatever the reason, Earl David attempted to claim Northumberland once again in 1365. More than merely rising against his vassal Lord, this Earl was able to petition Pope Gelasius successfully to find Duke Andrew excommunicated from Holy Church. As Emperor Anselm was burdened with the troubles of his sister and reaction to such, by the end of 1365, he was ready once more to assert himself to Northumberland and surrounding lands. Returning south from Cupar through Galloway, initially Anselm decided to finally take a side in this dispute. One might say that it was his first truly poor decision as Anselm moved to sack his current Lord Chancellor Duke Guy of York and replaced him with this Earl David. While a capable man, the Earl would not be long at this post as he was soon conquered once again and found a prison once more by the spring of 1366. While not a terrible imposition to the Emperor, this act did poison the well not only with the Duke of York, but so too the powerful Lord Simon and his grandson of Northumberland. It would not be apparent how this trouble would trickle down immediately, but eventually repercussions would be found.

If there was a positive to it, the act and eventuality would lead Anselm to his next Lord Chancellor, the very young but extremely bright Duke of Meath, Lord Gregory. And it would be this Duke alongside Anselm’s still close cousin Earl Giselbert d’Albon of Hainaut that would keep the Emperor’s focus to the north. It was clear that with the inheritance of Scotland that only some few places remained as yet unconquered. Both small enclaves within Ireland and the very far north were now ruled by a King Matad of Moray. As the weather grew cold, so did Anselm’s opinion of this so-called King. A kind offer of vassal status was offered to Matad and was rudely denied. It then took all of a month for Anselm to declare his first war. Anselm’s Duchess of Ulster held claim upon Tyrconnell and so the Emperor pushed it and by January of 1367, the Emperor himself had traveled alongside his cousin Giselbert to Ireland to press. Even the Lord Marshal Lord Jordan was given orders to travel to the very far north and while in some better health by these years, the adventure would eventually prove fatal for the esteemed but effected Duke of Kent.

Emperor Anselm was just past his 26th year and desired younger men to council to surround himself. While to war within Ireland, he gave orders to offer the position of Lord Steward to the young Duke of Galloway, Lord Colin. More to that, he then appointed the grandson of his first Lord Chancellor as his master of spies. Earl Ralph of Westmorland was more than up to the task. And when in 1368, the sad but revered Lord Jordan died to the wilds of the highlands of Scotland, Earl Giselbert himself was named Anselm’s new Lord Marshal. It was clear that he was stamping his mark upon his reign and by the summer of 1368, Matad of Moray begged for peace offering up Tyrconnell so that he my live some few years more. Anselm accepted and usurped the title of King of Moray anyway. Within Ireland, only the land of Desmond to the south held out as vassal of the Bretons and the last stand of the highlanders of Scotland would eventually come.

By the autumn, Anselm finally returned to Westminster and his Empress Adelheid. Now surrounded by a privy council to his liking, a loving wife and all of his enemies seemingly put down, the Emperor would begin spending his vast wealth on building projects throughout the realm. The most important of that would be with his wife. His nephew and heir Arthur would turn 16 in 1369. His mother would remain to seclusion to Cupar and the boy showed no impressive tendencies at pushing back at his own seeming imprisonment. To press further, Anselm would take in Arthur’s brother Hugh as ward just to be safe but within the year, two events would make the matter rather moot. In November of 1369, Anselm would finally see issue as Adelheid bore him an heir in the form of the Princess Anne. She was named after the great Queen of his house and instantly became the heir apparent to all thrones but that of France. Yet even there, his cousin to Munster, Duke Randolph would have a son named Philip. Between these two male branches of Wessex, nephew Arthur now became obsolete. Held tightly still with his brother Hugh to be safe should either be needed, the threat of Lancaster was finally over in full.

As Anselm approached 30 years in age, his last decade appeared sound and the future looked bright. Small ripples remained under the surface, but Anselm considered his position strong. His council was entirely behind him even if others were not, and especially his cousin Earl Giselbert was grateful and more so beholden when his mother and Anselm’s great aunt finally passed on to God in 1370. The last child of Emperor Arthur, Princess Blæja died after 80 years and in a nunnery near Bath and alone. Yet Anselm made certain to honor her life and connection to his great House and then had her entombed next to her father, mother and brother at Westminster. More to that, two other old stalwarts of his great-grandfather’s reign would also go to God. In 1371, the Duchess of Burgundy died at 61 leaving a son Alvar Duke at 44. This Lord held five sons of his own and Burgundy having been so beholden to the crown for so long, few considered it a threat. And in the same year, the aged Lord Simon of Bedford and Gloucester finally died leaving his many lands and considerable wealth to his grandson Duke Andrew of Northumberland. With his dying breath, Lord Simon made plea for the Emperor to release his eldest sister from her imprisonment. This request would fall upon deaf ears.

With a successful war under his belt, his eldest sister contained and nephew sidelined, an heir of his own in Princess Anne in all but France and new young Lords more in his favor than to the old regime, it came time for Emperor Anselm to look once more at the true enemy of the realm. One might guess and correctly that this was the Holy Roman Empire.

To be continued...

So they did secure the north. Good good. Now have to deal with the germans.

Is there any chance of the inheritance law of France to be changed in Anselm's life, or will France become a (powerful) vassal kingdom under the next Empress? Of course, he could destroy the title of France and remake it in his own image...