• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shrewd, good wit, observant - both of his grandfather who is no longer fit to rule, and in reality is no longer in total control, that much is clear - but also of the threats to Anselm's future rule. Question is, though, will he plot himself or prove to be the guiding hand the poor boy needs when his great grandpapa shifts the mortal coil?

It does rather nicely show how Arthur has been focused so much on Germany on one hand and Scotland on the other he doesn't much care what else is going on in the realm anymore.

Eadgar popping in now is no accident, which Arthur despite his diminishing faculties realizes. Whether it's to make a weak play at the throne or just to position himself as the power behind the throne, ala John of Gaunt (since you did mention your Edward III/Black Prince historical comp, why wouldn't Anselm be Richard II?), remains to be seen.

I set your father up as well as I might and you find his inheritance at the now. My son was weak...too weak. But I cannot dwell upon that. You? I think you to hold Ireland with some strength.

I like this bit because, to me anyway, it confirms Arthur's ghosts are just his own inner thoughts. For all of Aveline's talk of weakness in his mind, it's Arthur who hates it. I suspect he believes trauma forges strong men and eliminates the weak, which is probably how justifies his own past traumas as a young man. They didn't turn him into a bitter, vindictive individual, they turned him into a strong capable leader! Or something along those lines.

“I will,” Eadgar watched Arthur drift back to sleep, “All the future we have before us.”
A cryptic comment to end with, which can be taken to mean whatever the hearer thinks it might. But what of the speaker? One little ‘accident’ or illness and Anselm could be snuffed out very easily. Then Emperor Eadgar rises through the scrum. He has more of a claim than Henry Beaufort ever had ...

Last edited:
Fb-fb:

Shrewd, good wit, observant - both of his grandfather who is no longer fit to rule, and in reality is no longer in total control, that much is clear - but also of the threats to Anselm's future rule. Question is, though, will he plot himself or prove to be the guiding hand the poor boy needs when his great grandpapa shifts the mortal coil?
You'll have to wait and see what Eadgar does when it is time, but there is indeed reason he is reintroduced here.

It does rather nicely show how Arthur has been focused so much on Germany on one hand and Scotland on the other he doesn't much care what else is going on in the realm anymore.
Well, that and I have been so focused on the HRE and Scotland that I did not keep much of an eye to this grandson. ;)

Eadgar popping in now is no accident, which Arthur despite his diminishing faculties realizes. Whether it's to make a weak play at the throne or just to position himself as the power behind the throne, ala John of Gaunt (since you did mention your Edward III/Black Prince historical comp, why wouldn't Anselm be Richard II?), remains to be seen.

I like this bit because, to me anyway, it confirms Arthur's ghosts are just his own inner thoughts. For all of Aveline's talk of weakness in his mind, it's Arthur who hates it. I suspect he believes trauma forges strong men and eliminates the weak, which is probably how justifies his own past traumas as a young man. They didn't turn him into a bitter, vindictive individual, they turned him into a strong capable leader! Or something along those lines.
Very good eye there and indeed, this Anselm would be closely comped with the historical Richard II. As for his ghosts, quite true. While I strive to make them appear real, at least to Arthur, if you read closely enough you can see his own set of perceived injustices and sense of personal failings that he could never admit outright.

A cryptic comment to end with, which can be taken to mean whatever the hearer thinks it t. But what of the speaker? One little ‘accident’ or illness and Anselm could be snuffed out very easily. Then Emperor Eadgar rises through the scrum. He has more of a claim than Henry Beaufort ever had ...
Cardinal Beaufort or did you mean Bolingbroke? ;) The latter had a decent claim at least being a true son of John of Gaunt. The Beauforts? A nastier set of gits if ever there were one! As for Eadgar, he indeed has a great claim and as stated is 2nd in line to throne. The next scene sets out exactly how Arthur responds to this last meeting.

To all - We are getting very close here. You'll note the year is finally 1351 and this next scene fits in, I hope, quite neatly with where we started with this portion of the story. Thank you for being here since the beginning (for most of you) and for your excellent comments all along the way. :)

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle – July 1351

Arthur struggled to keep his eyes open as he sat his throne to the great hall and tried to listen to his great Lords. He was already tired after a sleepless night and the issue did not even irritate him. It bored him. Yet he had to hear it out as they had come to him for his word and there was no choice but to give his judgment. The Lord Chancellor stood nearby and softly cleared his throat as Lord Alan of Normandy continued…

“As I have stated, Your Majesty...every match has been won by my forces and I hold nearly all of the Lord of Norfolk’s land this side of the channel.”

Lord Nicholas frowned but tried to be polite, “I may not dispute the Lord of Normandy’s accounting other than he has yet to face our forces on the field itself. You know well, Your Majesty...true conflict may not be resolved without a true testing. As I’ve understood to the past, a personal trial by combat would be preferred, and I would have little trouble facing...this man...one on one to see this issue no longer a trouble for the realm.”

“Nor would I, Your Majesty!” Lord Alan immediately suggested.

The Emperor finally held up his hand, “Enough! This is a personal and petty contest as far as I am concerned and has done little for the realm one way or the other. I hold a great respect for both of you, my Lords. It is impossible for me to rule against one and for the other. Normandy and Norfolk are both important and I wish not to lose either.”

“I know that he is family, Your Majesty...of your House...” Lord Alan replied, “...but you did tell me when this began that you would not stand in my way.”

Arthur narrowed his brow and offered a stern eye, “Nor shall I. Yet that our Lord of Norfolk is my cousin, mayhap you would allow me to hold a private audience with him so that I may see what can be done?”

The Duke of Normandy did not care for it, but gave bow anyway. The Lord Chancellor ushered the Duke of Norfolk from the hall and Arthur used his cane to slowly lead the way. They never even made it to the solar before the Emperor turned, “Nico...I implore you. Allow this to end!”

“Cousin...” Lord Nicholas offered an aggrieved face, “...I have done all I might to lure the Lord to England and give proper combat to settle the issue. Yet he holds his massive army to my slim lands in Flanders.”

“Of course he does!” Arthur pressed, “There is great reason there has been no great invasion of England after the so-called Conqueror! Nor has there been invasion of Normandy across the channel for over two hundred years! We are now one peoples! And the logistics are too deadly at any rate!”

Nicholas withered under his gaze and Arthur continued, “And I shall tell you this, Nico...while you hold a great deal of ships to cross, you lack both the men and the martial mind to challenge these knights of Normandy. So does your son and his Lady wife...as does this Lord’s brother. You cannot hope to win...yet I do not wish to see you lose. Normandy is one of the greatest strengths within this Empire. Norfolk is not. Yet is a personal jewel to our House and why you now rule it. It has always held importance and it remains so at the now. So for you...for the memory of your father and all of those that came before us both...can we please not find some way to resolve this in which all parties can agree?”

“He will wish us all imprisoned,” Nicholas stated without a doubt, “Especially after...the Lady of Orleans. That is why he brings it before you now.”

Arthur sighed, “Nico...I am turned eighty and one. And I am oh so tired. Think you that I enjoyed that?”

“It is no matter whether you enjoyed it or no,” Nicholas remained adamant, “Cousin...I tell you...he thinks to win by siege and now thinks to win in some other way.”

“Nico...he has already won,” Arthur placed his aged hands to his younger cousin’s shoulders, “What I wish...what I most need...is for you to tell me how we may get from this place to another where you remain safe and he feels vindication.”

Lord Nicholas looked to Arthur with sympathetic eyes but struggled to find the answer, “He would need...at the least...his brother.”

“I’ve no trouble with that,” Arthur answered swiftly, “That is his family...his House.”

“He would most certainly desire my daughter by law and my son Thomas as well,” Nicholas answered with some anger.

Arthur held strong, “That would pain me, but I would give one and not the other. I will not see your son harmed. Do you care so much for this Joanna of Boulogne?”

“Cousin!” Nicholas incredulously stated, “That is my son’s wife! Mother to my granddaughters of that place!”

“And not of Wessex,” Arthur showed him a stern eye, “And she started it. I would not see your son given over and he and his girls would remain under my protection.”

“He would demand myself and my son, the Earl of Devon,” Nicholas was certain.

Arthur held a shaky hand to his cousin’s face, “And that he shall not have. That is the one thing that I cannot lose...ever!”

“Why, cousin?” Nicholas asked, “Why would you need me so much? You’ve never given me great command. I know that you hold dear to a promise made to my father, but you’ve never called me to council. Never wished to give me any great power.”

“Because I made that promise to your father,” Arthur held tight, “Power places you to the fore. A target. So does command in battle. Look to the poor Lord of Kent. No, sir...little Nico...I did never give you these things or ask of you for such so that I may protect you. There is a larger place for you within it all. A place your father might have held were he still alive. He was always the younger of we two...and I could surely use him at the now.”

Nicholas asked with care, “What ails you? I know that you are slowed...but your mind remains sharp.”

“A sharp mind can only do so much,” Arthur shifted to lean against the stone wall with the help of his cane, “One requires the vessel to carry it. Mine has hit a rocky shore and breaks apart. It does happen in old age. I tell you, Nico...I am eighty and one. And my heir is naught but eight...no...nine now, I think?”

“I did never mean this to be a trouble to you,” Nicholas suggested as apology, “I said...simply give me the word and I would not follow.”

Arthur showed a sad eye, “I am giving you that word now.”

“What brings the change?” Nicholas questioned.

“I had a visit...” Arthur looked to the distance, “...some several visits, actually. Yet the one that matters was my grandson from Ireland.”

“Lord Eadgar?” the Duke asked suddenly forgetting his troubles with Normandy, “Though I be sure that it was fine to see him...whatever for?”

Arthur offered his own curious face, “That is the question, is it not? If I’ve ever seen the lad, it was as a babe or some snot nosed little tyke. Now he comes to see me? Get me not wrong...he holds a spirit that I quite liked. Yet I think his motives not quite familial. He is now second in line to the throne and also has a son which would make his little Randolph third. Nico...I am not long for this world. What will happen to Anselm when I am gone?”

“You are asking for me to make a similar promise...aren’t you?” Nicholas questioned.

Holding his hands to his cane, Arthur showed a slim smile, “The timing of it is not quite right. I should be to my death bed and then you could not refuse me. And here am I demanding another. It’s not perfect, Nico...yet you are all that I have. I don’t distrust the lad...I distrust everyone. My council is...my council. No real power. Maud to Scotland has never recovered from her anger and who knows what she may do when I am gone? Mon Dieu...I think her granddaughter to Lancaster is next in line for Scotland after Anselm! Think of that! And France? Anselm is still a boy. I’ve tried to tutor, but...”

“It remains to the elective for the now,” Nicholas understood.

Arthur offered a sigh of relief, “Exactly! Which is why I need this over and done with. Why I need peace for all at this time. Christ’s Keys, Nico...don’t you know that it has been a year since my victory to Hainaut and I’ve yet to even visit the place...much less carry out my wish.”

“Do you still wish to carry it out? See it destroyed?” Nicholas asked.

“Oh yes!” Arthur countered quickly, “There are few things to my life that I may control at the now...sad as that may be as an Emperor. Yet that is another promise made...many, many years ago. Some might forget after fifty years or more...yet never myself. I can still see my father...his face...blue and dying. Great heaps of earth that could not be removed.”

Nicholas tried to suggest, “Another war, cousin.”

“The only war, sir!” Arthur responded with his familiar stern eye, “Every one I have fought since takes me to this place. I cannot die without that satisfaction. They would pay...and they have...but not enough. No thing shall stand to Hainaut for a thousand years if I have my say. And now I do. Yet I must know that we are at peace.”

“You must know that this touches my honor, cousin,” Nicholas suggested.

Arthur gave nod, “I do. And I am sorry for that. My only solace is that your honor remains paramount to me. Can you live with that?”

“It is hard for me to see how when I am the one to be punished,” Nicholas answered.

“It is not punishment, Nico!” Arthur showed a pained eye, “I try to give you honor at the now!”

Lord Nicholas of Norfolk remained calm and bowed his head before turning to the Emperor with sureness, “For our House...and for the promise made to my father...I will hold true to the one you ask of me, cousin. I could do no less. If my sons are to be made safe...I will commit to the peace with Lord Alan. Yet when you are gone, that protection will no longer exist. I’ve made a promise to you, Your Majesty...but that is as much for my children as it is for the young Anselm.”

“Then peace is done this day,” Arthur shifted with a struggle to kiss the cheek of his cousin, “When I am gone, I will not care. I am sure to roast in hell fire, sir. God will not forgive me. Nor will any other...they do not now. Yet you will keep safe the realm...the Empire. That will matter more than anything. Never forget, Nico...it is Wessex. Always.”

Nicholas gave a curt nod, “I think not to forget it. Yet let us conclude this peace.”

The two returned to the great hall and Arthur made his pronouncement. The Lord Chancellor seemed right pleased but neither Lord Alan nor Lord Nicholas showed great satisfaction. Yet they did agree to honor it. The Norman Lord got what he mostly desired...his brother to a prison. And the Lord of Norfolk received some of what he desired...his family safe. For now. Finally, it was Arthur that got what he most wanted at this chance...a moment to finally visit that place.

Both the Lord Chancellor and the new Lord Marshal accompanied him to Hainaut which made a troubled journey. Arthur was not well. He was an old man now. Eighty one years in age with injuries over the years, an assassination attempt, a failing eyesight and a poor set of legs. Yet he soldiered on as if on the field of battle himself. Arthur was somewhat renewed in thinking of it as he made progress, but once there he turned dour.

Many attempts to take siege between Ath and Hainaut had been tried in the last war and it had left the entire country around it as if a wasteland. The more he looked at it as they traveled, the more Arthur grew furious and vindictive. As they finally arrived to the place...THE place...the Emperor exited his carry and refused any help. His cane and his mind were all that he needed. There was a great mound of dirt, long since grown over, that sat a long ways from the castle itself. It was there that Arthur fell to a knee. His men of council moved to assist him but he shouted, “Leave me!!!”

Resting his hands to the earth, Arthur whispered, “I am an old man now, father. Come to do that which I promised. Maman is gone...and so are you…here at this place. Yet I have created all that you desired...all that you wanted...ever! Scold me all you wish...but I have made true on my promise!”

“And so few around you, Arturus.”

Arthur shook his head and tried to stand. His cane was no help and it was finally the Lord Mayor Eric that came to his aid, “The castle, Your Majesty...just to the distance.”

“I will see it,” he answered with pain to heart, body and mind.

They finally entered the grounds and the Emperor struggled with his cane as he moved through the wreckage of the castle. It was most certainly destroyed, but he looked at every crooked stone...every troubled passage. It was a life’s work and he would find his satisfaction. His men were beside him at every step. The Lord Chancellor Edward kept near to him to keep him from taking a misstep and the Lord Marshal Eric stood nearby with a grin upon his face. Knocking over every bit of rubble with his cane, Arthur found no smile. Just certainty.

“It is yours, Your Majesty,” Lord Edward suggested.

The Lord Marshal agreed, “Do with it what you will.”

With no smile, Arthur looked to them both and answered, “Raze it to the ground, my Lords. Every bit!”

“Are you certain, Majesty?” Lord Edward asked.

“Oh yes,” Arthur answered quickly and with sureness, “Let it be dust for I will see no thing stand here for a thousand years and they will know whence it came. Wessex, my Lords...uber alles!”

It feels like closure, but how satisfying I am not sure. Is this the final chapter in the narrative? It feels final, even the pace changed in the end. And that ending line... Curious that he would utter it in German.

Hainault maybe burned to the ground, but his father is never emerging alive from that hole, nor will his children ever return to his side, or his grandchildren.

Even this most bitter victory will be nothign but ashes in his mouth, and all his wine will be as vinegar.

Cardinal Beaufort or did you mean Bolingbroke?
It was actually a shorthand (and perhaps a bit conflated) reference to Henry Tudor, then Henry VII, who traced his main claim on the Lancastrian side through the Beauforts, via his mother Lady Margaret. Classic last man standing after the rest had all died off during the Wars of the Roses. From Wikipedia:

Lady Margaret Beaufort, was a great-granddaughter of John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster and fourth son of Edward III, and his third wife Katherine Swynford. Katherine was Gaunt's mistress for about 25 years. When they married in 1396 they already had four children, including Henry's great-grandfather John Beaufort. Thus, Henry's claim was somewhat tenuous; it was from a woman, and by illegitimate descent.
Eadgar has a more direct claim than Henry VII did, I reckon! :D I will now read the next ep with relish and comment on that idc :)

Fb-fb:

It feels like closure, but how satisfying I am not sure. Is this the final chapter in the narrative? It feels final, even the pace changed in the end. And that ending line... Curious that he would utter it in German.
It is the final chapter but not the last scene. As for the line, if you look back to the near start, that's exactly what Arthur said as I pulled that portion of the 1351 bit into the final part of this one. As for the use of German, perhaps it is used as spite.

Hainault maybe burned to the ground, but his father is never emerging alive from that hole, nor will his children ever return to his side, or his grandchildren.

Even this most bitter victory will be nothign but ashes in his mouth, and all his wine will be as vinegar.
We knew he would do it, even if others questioned. But indeed, no manner of death and destruction will ever bring his father back, his son back, his grandson...and on and on and on.

It was actually a shorthand (and perhaps a bit conflated) reference to Henry Tudor, then Henry VII, who traced his main claim on the Lancastrian side through the Beauforts, via his mother Lady Margaret. Classic last man standing after the rest had all died off during the Wars of the Roses. From Wikipedia:

Lady Margaret Beaufort, was a great-granddaughter of John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster and fourth son of Edward III, and his third wife Katherine Swynford. Katherine was Gaunt's mistress for about 25 years. When they married in 1396 they already had four children, including Henry's great-grandfather John Beaufort. Thus, Henry's claim was somewhat tenuous; it was from a woman, and by illegitimate descent.
Eadgar has a more direct claim than Henry VII did, I reckon! :D I will now read the next ep with relish and comment on that idc :)
Ah yes. Know that well I do. There is likely no part of European/English History I know better than the WOTR period (which I date from Richard II thru to Henry Tudor.) In truth, I've been desiring for years to write a narrative of it but both Shakespeare and Sharon Kay Penman sort of beat me to it. :rolleyes:

Ah yes. Know that well I do. There is likely no part of European/English History I know better than the WOTR period (which I date from Richard II thru to Henry Tudor.) In truth, I've been desiring for years to write a narrative of it but both Shakespeare and Sharon Kay Penman sort of beat me to it. :rolleyes:
Amongst others, but no matter how crowded that particular historical field, there is always room for more good sir.

Wessex, my Lords...uber alles!”
So there we have it - it seems almost as if he was dictating his own epitaph!

Anselm has seemed strangely third person and in the background all this time, while we have now received a far more personal and comprehensive view of Eadgar just recently. A man grown. With a vigorous demeanour and a great claim. Hmmmm o_O

if I were Anselm, I’d be vigorously avoiding Towers and barrels of Malmsey wine! :eek::p

Eadgar has a more direct claim than Henry VII did,

Understatement. If it were 200 years earlier, there would be little question that he would be the next king. However, we are approaching the end of the high middle ages, england is part of a great empire and ireland means fuck all to that right now, in fact it's in the target of fire for the next phase of expansion precisely because the local english lords have failed to take it themselves.

Or to put it another way, Henry was the last shot at there actually being a king of england without several French lords being the only claimants left who weren't Scottish, and he won the drawn out civil war by being the last man standing, already having alliances with all England's neighbours and the eventual support of both Houses.

So whilst Eadgar has a much much better claim, in-universe I think everyone who matters wants the empire to go to the kid for now, just to try and keep some legitimacy once the guy who conquered everything is dead.

Fb-fb:

Amongst others, but no matter how crowded that particular historical field, there is always room for more good sir.
True enough, but it's difficult to find a new angle not considered before. Still haven't given up though.

So there we have it - it seems almost as if he was dictating his own epitaph!

Anselm has seemed strangely third person and in the background all this time, while we have now received a far more personal and comprehensive view of Eadgar just recently. A man grown. With a vigorous demeanour and a great claim. Hmmmm o_O

if I were Anselm, I’d be vigorously avoiding Towers and barrels of Malmsey wine! :eek::p
I've purposely kept Anselm from being too fully drawn in while we cover this period as he is both young and likely to be the next ruler while this story remains Arthurs. That said, you aren't wrong that he should be careful. You'll see why soon enough.

Understatement. If it were 200 years earlier, there would be little question that he would be the next king. However, we are approaching the end of the high middle ages, england is part of a great empire and ireland means fuck all to that right now, in fact it's in the target of fire for the next phase of expansion precisely because the local english lords have failed to take it themselves.

Or to put it another way, Henry was the last shot at there actually being a king of england without several French lords being the only claimants left who weren't Scottish, and he won the drawn out civil war by being the last man standing, already having alliances with all England's neighbours and the eventual support of both Houses.

So whilst Eadgar has a much much better claim, in-universe I think everyone who matters wants the empire to go to the kid for now, just to try and keep some legitimacy once the guy who conquered everything is dead.
To be honest, one great difference right now between this Empire and the England of the WOTR period are the sheer numbers of available men (and women) of Wessex still around. While there remained some few off branches still around after Henry Tudor took the throne, he and his son made sure that any possible claimant afterwards never had chance to take their shot and indeed, the WOTR itself rather took out most of the potential claimants as it wore on. I can't go too far just yet on what might happen/will happen next, but it is very true that Eadgar's claim is the strongest next to Anselm himself.

To all - Look for the next scene tomorrow morning and fair warning, it is a doozy. Thanks so much for reading and giving your excellent comments. :)

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle – August 1351

It was as if a hall of mirrors. Every one staring back at him. Carved portraits hung that looked different but he saw in them all the same thing. Himself. A ruler, a king, an Emperor…a failure? Yet how could that be? Every one that was represented...they had achieved some thing. Some more than others. Great men...and women...they had built or protected the realm. First England and now the Empire that Arthur had built. They were not failures...so how could he be such a thing?

“You’ll have to excuse me, my Lord...my head’s not quite right,” a voice suggested and Arthur turned to spy an unfamiliar figure.

He was even more shocked to see blood dripping from the man’s neck, “Who are you?! How did you get past my guards?!”

“Of course you may not know me,” the man stated, “For I lived rather long ago. I see that you stare at my neck. Yes...the wilds of Scotland. You’ve held your troubles to there as well, methinks. I told you that my head is not right...for it came clean off, sir. You’d know a thing or two about that as well, I’d wager.”

Arthur narrowed his eyes and asked with suspicion, “So how can you be here? I say again...tell me your name!”

“My likeness is surely in that book you read from time to time. I am surprised that you do not recognize me. After all...I am Eadwin of Hwicce, Lord of Mercia and Hereford. And I saw young Eadgar to the throne...that which you now hold. Come now...show a little respect, sir.”

“That’s impossible,” Arthur suggested strongly, “I did not think to be dreaming.”

“You did not?” Eadwin questioned with an amused brow, “Then how is that you walk? You’ve been nearly bedridden for over a month now.”

Arthur now noticed it. When before, his legs ached more and more, now he was walking throughout the gallery without even the assistance of his cane. He turned to Eadwin with shock, “Have I...”

“Finally passed on to God?” the Lord finished the question for him with a smirk, “Think that I may be a guest to your reception?”

“I know not,” Arthur replied, “Where are we?”

“Why...no other place but your fine castle to Melun,” Eadwin looked around with an impressed eye, “You’ve done well.”

“Why not my fine palace to Westminster?” another voice asked.

Arthur turned to see the visage of Eadward the Confessor come to life before him, “You’ve been away too long, my Lord. England is missing of you, methinks.”

Like a young school boy, Lord Eadwin could not help but show a bow before the great Confessor, “His demesne has grown larger than that, Your Grace.”

The Confessor shot a glare to the Duke, “Know it well I do. What was wrong with our fine Saxon land, lad? We of Wessex worked long and hard to make it mighty.”

“I cannot possibly be in hell,” Arthur showed wonderment at Eadward the Confessor, “You are surely not in hell.”

“Do not be so certain of that,” the great King answered, “Just like the rest of us, I had to do certain things...certain unpleasant things. Why think you that I gained my moniker?”

“He’s right!” another voice added to the mix, “Made many promises...ones he could not keep.”

“Oh, do shut up!” yet one more voice stated and William of Normandy stood in front of Harold Godwinson, “If you’d taken your licks like a good little lad, none of the rest of this would have been a trouble. Normandy would rule over all.”

“I took my licks and your sword, sir!” Harold was just as adamant, “And left you my poor whelp of a son instead.”

Arthur looked behind the scion of Godwin to see Godwine of Godwin hiding, “Both of your houses are now proud, sirs. In truth...Godwin rules in Normandy at the now.”

In unison, they both proclaimed, “God’s balls!!!”

Eadwin waved a hand and most seemed to disappear, “Yet not you, my Lord William...we’ve not yet finished with you.”

The old Norman Duke stomped around, “Not finished with me?! Next you’ll be producing your protege...or worse...your damnable brother!”

Arthur turned to face the wood carvings and the faces of King Eadgar and King Morcar came to life before him. The first with a kind smile and the latter with a fierce grin. Eadwin shifted to stand next to Arthur, “More bitter foes you will not find, my Lord. And yet...sometimes friends. It is funny how things work.”

“That one killed the both of us!” William gestured towards Eadgar.

“Nay, my Lord,” Eadgar replied with a calm mind, “I believe you to be both the murderer and the victim of your own perfidy.”

Morcar kept his grin to Arthur, “Neither one killed me. Died of old age and the drink and kept them all guessing. Even now. My ultimate revenge. You’d know something of that...wouldn’t you?”

“Now, now Morcar...we are here to help His Majesty King Arthur of all Britain,” Eadwin moved to stand beside his brother and both looked to Arthur with a curious amusement.

Morcar looked him up and down, “He does seem very old indeed.”

“Just now eighty and one,” Eadwin replied, “And here you thought the Ætheling had a fine long life.”

“Longer than ours,” Morcar allowed a disdainful look towards King Eadgar before turning back to Arthur, “Pray tell, my Lord...what is your secret?”

Eadgar did not allow him to answer, “Revenge for perceived wrong doing.”

“That may sustain a man,” Eadwin nodded with appreciation.

Morcar was having none of it, “Bah! There was never a soul that did well by me my entire life. Not even you, brother. Especially not you! What good did it do me? None but see my child King dead before he found his maturity.”

“Likely also your fault,” Eadwin suggested as an aside.

Eadgar kept his eyes to Arthur, “Nay, my Lord. That was I. It was no easy task, I may assure you. Yet I did always say...the crown was my right by blood. No Godwin nor man of Normandy would sit it long, nor even you Morcar of Hwicce. You tried to steal it. And then I gained both my revenge and my throne.”

“Ætheling...” Eadwin showed some wonder in his eyes, “...I think you to have never sounded so certain and assured of yourself. So honest and forthright.”

The old King kept his gaze to Arthur, “I am dead, my Lords. What else should I do?”

“You might have told me the truth,” the squeak of a wheel alerted them and they turned to spy an infirm King Uhtræd staring at them with burning eyes as he sat his wheeled chair, “Everyone of you...even you, Arthur of Wessex...you held tight to secrets. Ill deeds, done cheaply. Did you ever suffer?”

Arthur was quick to speak, “I! I have suffered! My wife and children are gone from me! My heirs...they die before ever given chance to fly! Friends...young and old...”

“He will go on, brother,” another Eadward moved to stand behind Uhtræd’s chair, “I’ve watched him like a hawk since he was but a young lad. The promise of Wessex...my promise.”

The aged Eadgar narrowed his brow at his second son, “He’s been better than that dullard boy of yours.”

“Father...” Uhtræd turned slowly, “...leave him be. At least Eadward had sons that wished it. Not something that you could say...nor I. And this one?”

Uhtræd pointed a pained finger towards Arthur, “He does have trouble keeping them around.”

“They did always bicker,” Eadwin shifted behind Arthur, “Fathers and sons. One other item you might find familiar. Tell me, my Lord...is this always to be a thing for Wessex?”

Arthur was silent as the former Kings seemed to dissipate into thin air and then turned to the Duke, “You hated your brother...and he you. I did not hate mine. I cannot speak to fathers and sons...”

“I may...and I am glad that he is gone,” another voice answered and Arthur’s great-great-great grandfather appeared. Æthelric looked as forlorn as he did in life, yet the sadness seemed even worse, “I had thought to change that with mine own offspring and yet...I think mine own daughter had me silenced.”

“As you did your wife?” Queen Mary suddenly stood behind her father, “This one and you have that much in common at the least. Not much more.”

Arthur began to say something but Eadwin hushed him, “You would not miss this, my Lord.”

“Mother,” Queen Anne also appeared, “I tried to help you in life. I try to help you now. I know of bitterness...of pain. Yet so much of it...you caused yourself, just as grandfather did.”

“Speak not to me in that tone, girl!” Mary was insistent, “I’ll not have it!”

Æthelric went to Anne, “I wished that I might have known you. You are such a pretty lass...and such a fine Queen. Wessex will always be proud of you.”

“Yet so was my mother,” Anne suggested with love, “She was often misunderstood. Sad, in her own way...as much as you.”

Mary did not care for the sweetness, “That changes no fact! He killed his wife and so did this one! My father never got on with his own...and this one never got on with his son. Thank God I had a daughter!”

She stormed off and Æthelric seemed to fade away, but Anne stepped closer to Arthur and held to his cheek, “My great-grandson. Who might have thought that you would turn out this way? It was never supposed to be you. It was my Ælfstan and then his. And Arnold after that. Yet a war can change all things. This you know all too well. And while you have done such grand things...your time is soon to an end. So is yours, my Lord.”

Eadwin looked surprised, “Mine was gone long ago, my Lady Queen.”

“Nay, my Lord,” she softly dropped her hand with a smile, “He has others to see. More personal. Yet we do thank you for being such a fine guide.”

And then suddenly they were both gone and Arthur’s legs began to feel heavy once more. Sitting quickly to a stone bench in the center of the gallery, he was joined by another unfamiliar figure, “It is a shame that I did not know you.”

Arthur looked up to spy a tall man that looked very much like his father, “Should we have?”

“Of course...” the man sat beside him, “...I am your grandfather. I did never have a fine moniker like my mother or my son...nor you. Yet our paths only briefly crossed in time.”

“The day you passed to God...” Arthur remembered, “...was the day that I was born.”

“There you are,” the elder Ælfstan smiled before looking to the carvings, “Yet what a rouges gallery we have here. I think to have never seen such a thing to Westminster. What is it, lad? Do you come here to be reminded? Or to be haunted?”

Arthur questioned himself, “I don’t remember coming here at all.”

“Few do,” King Ælfstan replied as he placed a kind hand to Arthur’s knee, “Yet you have done well, as they have said. Taken what my mother gained and added to it in every way. I suspect my learned brother was of great assistance to you in your learning for surely it was not my son.”

“Uncle Geoffrey...” Arthur felt ten years old again, “...was wonderful. But so was father. In truth...I have never forgotten either of them.”

King Ælfstan gave nod, “How well I know. One must always follow what comes after. Yet to take the Kingdom of England and Wales...such that it had ever been...and add so much more. You must be very proud.”

The elder Ælfstan lowered his head as a tear formed and another came from behind, “He lived a very sad life, my son. A most powerful man. A Prince and a Lord and ultimately Lord Chancellor after his father died. Yet he lost his brother John to Scotland and could never live up to my grandmother. He and my mother combined the long rival factions of Wessex and Lancaster and his greatest hopes were in me. Yet I would not return. Happy was I to remain to France and care for my sweet Adela as she was already Countess and not of age.”

As one Ælfstan stood to peruse the gallery, the other sat, “You’ve held a rather wild night.”

Arthur looked to his father with pain in his eyes, “I’ve held a rather wild life.”

“And who may be faulted for that?” Ælfstan questioned with a grin.

“It was said...it was not supposed to be me!” Arthur returned with a stern gaze, “It was always supposed to be Arn...and then...he died!”

Ælfstan held firmly to his son’s face, “That’s your maman’s gaze, lad. She could always find fault with God. With any other that was not herself. I fear that you learned from the wrong parent, as much as I did find love for my Lady wife. Yet you have made your own choices and lived by them. None here were wrong. You’ve done well. What was once a small kingdom on half an isle is now an Empire. We forebears gained quite a lot...but you, lad...you have done more than all of us combined.”

“Then why...” Arthur looked once more to all of the carvings, “...why do I feel so empty?”

“Come now, monsieur!” Amedee sat to his other side, “This is not the lad I taught! Not the boy that would become a great King!”

Aveline stood behind the great Lord Marshal, “You are forgetting, sir. To kill a babe? To kill an old woman? To kill me?!”

“Each in turn, Arturus,” his father held an arm strongly to his shoulder, “What have you to say?”

Suddenly Arturo appeared before him and knelt to hear the answer as well. Arthur struggled and felt the tears sting his face. He finally looked to his father and shouted, “I am guilty! Of all of these crimes! Guilty!”

Aveline turned away with scorn, “He lies. I did most of the work. He barely made the progress with me.”

“She is untrue, father!” Arthur cried out and then turned to his dead son, “I knew! I always knew! That is why! That is why I had to...”

The middle Arthur lowered his head to stare at the stone floor, “That is why you had to see her dead.”

Arthur tried to stand but could not, “I did not murder your son!!!”

“I know,” the Prince/King replied, “Yet my Maudy will make her accounting.”

“I have tried, Arturo!” Arthur reached out his hands, “I do promise you...I have tried!”

“It is no use, my son,” Ælfstan held Arthur close.

Amedee leaned in, “It is no use.”

“It is no use!” Aveline looked to him with scorn.

“They are right, father...” the younger Arthur followed, “...it is no use.”

Arthur tried to answer them all, “I have time! I can make it right!”

“Your time comes to a close, Arturus,” his father replied, “You are a man that never loses and for that, I may be proud. Yet this is a battle that you will never win.”

“Mon pere...” Arthur looked to his father with a plea, “...I did it all for you.”

They all said in unison, “No you did not!”

“Your face!” he shouted at them, “I would never forget it! All that I might do to avenge...”

“Would never be over,” Ælfstan answered him, “My God, Arturus. You are eighty and one. Far past your biblical age. You have reigned for over fifty years. You have done great things...and horrible things. I am not your judge. I am not your guide. I am only your father. And I tell you...as you have no one else...it is time to quit. Are you prepared?”

“Julich!” Arthur protested, “There is still Julich!”

Ælfstan stood and all else faded away. His father began to do the same but left with a parting word, “You must leave it for the boy. You’ve done your part. It is time to go.”

“I...I am not yet ready,” Arthur shouted to no one, “I am not yet finished!”

Letitia had watched him thrash about in bed and tried to stop him but finally his eyes opened with great horror in them and she scolded, “Mon Dieu! Ever since you returned from Hainaut you have been changed...”

“I...” Arthur looked to her face but could not recognize it, “I...must...”

“It is no use, Arthur,” Emma answered him, “It is time to go.”

“I...”

He said not another word.

Great sobs poured forth from Letitia as she hovered over his body and tried to revive him, but it was no use. At age eighty one and after fifty seven years as King and then Emperor, Arthur of Wessex was dead. His hand print was on every part of the Empire of Britain. Arthur the Just...Arthur the Conqueror...the German slayer...the Irascible...the Stern-eyed...the Emperor. While writers of later ages would call him all of these things and more...his creation of Britain...his hold on France...his very own Rome to rival the greatest of Empires...this Arthur was gone and had left to him only his great-grandson to follow at nine years old. Arthur of Wessex had fought...and lost.

In the end, we all lose. The only way to win in losing, is to give what is not yours. Arthur thought himself destined for Hell. Well, we all are. But as the Confessor said, or alluded, there is an option. Did Arthur find that option in his heart? Well, at least he confessed. That is the first step. Confess. And believe.

The King, in any case, is dead. Long live the King!

It took me surprisingly long to realize this was Arthur's send off, but I should have realized it the moment Eadwin made his entry. The old gang from the days of the Rightful King wasn't going to get back together for just *any* occasion.

It does serve to highlight how well Arthur lived up to his ancestors legacy... or at least his male ancestors anyway. Killing his wife, taking his brother's birthright (his by fate more than usurping from his brother's children, but same result), murdering children to claim crowns all while rationalizing it all away for some larger goal, sometimes to ghosts... he sums up all of their great sins and stands as the culmination of their successes. He was the best of Wessex. And he was the worst of Wessex.

I could say more on Arthur... but it mostly boils down to how much I hated him as a person/character (which, as I noted in the character thread, is a credit to you). So I will gracefully steal what @TheButterflyComposer said of my Geoffrey d'Anjou when his time came - for it sums up exactly how I feel about old Arthur now:

I hope you fry you horrible bastard.

Even in the end Arthur does not see and accept what he did. He gained great things but lost what was truly valuable. He still thinks his actions were justified to obtain his means. Sad in a way but I can see many breathing a sign of relief he is gone. In the end he left the empire in the hands of an unprepared 8 year old. I can not think the forces Arthur long held at bay have been waiting for such a moment. So did he really accomplish anything or just bring Wessex to the brink?

I could say more on Arthur... but it mostly boils down to how much I hated him as a person/character (which, as I noted in the character thread, is a credit to you). So I will gracefully steal what @TheButterflyComposer said of my Geoffrey d'Anjou when his time came - for it sums up exactly how I feel about old Arthur now:

Heh, past hospital me was so funny.

I read the chapter as soon as it went up and couldn't really think of anything to say that hadn't been said in it. In the end, the man was an absolute tyrant and mass murderer with a God complex.

However...

Let's be honest, the history books and pop history are going to eat that shit up. Future leaders, monarchs, business execs etc are all going to look to him for inspiration, Britannia has to glorify him as the founder, the enlightenment will love him for nation building and agnostic ways, the romantics will love him because he was a monster, nationalists obviously will credit him as already stated and modern people will presumably pick one of the previous viewpoints.

Then again, his reputation for what's left of the medieval and renaissance ages depends largely on
A) what his successor does
B) how long the empire lasts
C) what happens to the hre

But yeah, he's certainly going to hell.