• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have not much nominations, for I didn't read a lot of AARs, but I feel compelled to give my vote to the one who made me start my own AAR.

Crusader Kings 2

1. Before Plantagenet - JabberJock14 (An excellent work who got me reading for dozens of hours and start my own Torrblom saga)

2. Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga - Bullfilter (great tutorial-as-AAR for newbies even if they probably won't discover it)

Victoria 2

1. L'empereur est mort - RossN (found it by browsing casually this week, and as a french I was obviously interested. I haven't read it all, but I liked what I've read so far)(EDIT : having read it all, I confirm my nomination, despite the small number of chapters in the Q4)

EDIT : added another nomination

Last edited:
Two whole weeks left to continue to nominate in this thread, as well as mentioning the awaAARd across the AARland if you want to. Let us aim for as much participation as we can get, to show all of the authAARs we know and love how much we appreciate their work. And don't be afraid of filling in your ballot progressively, you still have time to read! As a reminder the deadline is February 4th at 8 PM (+1 GMT).

Thank you very much for the nomination ! And thanks especially for all the comments you've left :)
Thank you for the nomination! :)
Don't forget to both fill in your ballots if you have time to do so! ;)

Thank you for the nomination, Nuada Airgetlám!

Darkest Hour (Other):
The Crown Atomic: A Kaiserreich Cold War AAR (Canada and Entente) - cookfl - Link

Stellaris:
The First Century: A United Nations Stellaris AAR - cookfl - Link
The Stars are Ours - JohnnyMacintosh - Link

Europa Universalis IV
The TTTUNA (Tales of Torrid Tunisian Nights Aar) by @fabiolundiense
Tawhid al Islam: Rassids 1.23 for Unify Islam by @mackwolfe
Europa: In the Age of the Fourth Race of Kings by @volksmarschall
Byzantium's Brother: The White Phoenix - A 1356 Epirus AAR by @Ericpiplup

Crusader Kings II
Before Plantagenet - A House d'Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14
The Songs of Sheeran - A CKII AGOT Narrative AAR by @EmpireofOne
The Bold Prince by @coz1
Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR by @tpmcinty

Stellaris
The Calling of Nharr - Stellaris Succession Game AAR by @Nikolai
The iron march by @Kamelot
Stellaris Wars: The Imperium Marches by @Arithmetician
Grim Tomorrows: Selected Documents from the United Nations/Hoffman-Wutani Colonization Partnership by @benacre

Hearts of Iron IV
The Sleeping Giant Awakens: A USA Kaiserreich AAR by @History_Buff
Advance Britannia! - A Kaiserreich Restored United Kingdom AAR by @George_VI
The Führer Goes Nuts! (again) by @Lordban
Long Live the Permanent Revolution! - a Trotskyist Soviet AAR. by @ThaHoward

Victoria II
Baltic Lightning: a Grand Campaign AAR [Vic 2 Branch] by @Centurial
L'empereur est mort: A French AAR by @RossN
Song Long Qi - An isolationist China AAR by @Russiaruler
Building a New Poland - an Poland 1946 NWO AAR by @adriankowaty

Other
The Alternate Scenario - Germany by @Vonsson [HoI3]
A new Hungary, 1936 AAR by @Lautipus [HoI3]
"U-boats for Uruguay" a short TFH farce by @markkur
France: A Quick and Dirty HoI3 AAR - 1936 Start by @Bullfilter

The depth in CK2 is absolutely insane.

Someone like you who read everything there would certainly wish to be able to put more than 4 nominations, eh ? (Even if such a scheme would need weighting).

Centered on characters, CK2 is probably the best story-generator of all Paradox games, and it shows. Add some good and dedicated writers on the top... I count a dozen stories started in 2017, still active, and who accrued 10 pages or more of posts (which indicates a good level of dedication and/or popularity)

In a way, it's a shame that the AAR sections of these forum are not more advertised. I myself stumbled upon it by chance, but it's full of excellent stories. It would be cool if Paradox advertised them some more.

Someone like you who read everything there would certainly wish to be able to put more than 4 nominations, eh ? (Even if such a scheme would need weighting).

Centered on characters, CK2 is probably the best story-generator of all Paradox games, and it shows. Add some good and dedicated writers on the top... I count a dozen stories started in 2017, still active, and who accrued 10 pages or more of posts (which indicates a good level of dedication and/or popularity)
@stnylan would know, to be sure, and I agree entirely. I could easily change over the four that I picked and still feel good about my CK vote. Frankly, anyone that does not find 4 CK AARs to honor is not reading enough as that subforum is hopping! :D

I think that perhaps I am done with my picks. I've filled out the major games now and am sad to say I probably won't venture over to Stellaris or the Other category. This was hard enough. I simply do not read enough as I should. However, it was wonderful to explore the other subforums and see that life does indeed exist there. ;)

I do hope that others will fill out a full ballot as best they can, because I must say that those that have done so already helped with my choices. While this particular award helps to honor many works, it also helps to point some (I hope) to works they have not yet seen. I count on those at this time because so many of you read more than I do these days. It is great fun to explore and see what wonderful things continue to be created by the community (and to see some return to our ranks!)

I still have a week and change so I might try to fill out my own ballot fully, but I really enjoyed looking around and seeing all the great creative work being done!

[And a slight point of order, @fabiolundiense - I think Lithu's work started after the period we are looking at right now, as great as it is...and it is a great tale! Certainly deserving of a nod the next go round, to be sure.]

[And a slight point of order, @fabiolundiense - I think Lithu's work started after the period we are looking at right now, as great as it is...and it is a great tale! Certainly deserving of a nod the next go round, to be sure.]

Yes, I was going to point it out too, my tale is not eligible as it only started this year.

Still, thank you both for the kind words, I'm happy you appreciate my efforts ! :) Don't hesitate to drop a few words in the thread, I'm interested by your thoughts on plot and style.

OK, so an early ballot...

For CK II:

@Asantahene for The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex - it's my favorite story in CK, bar none.
@Bullfilter for Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga - more than a learner's saga, it's a great tale.
@JabberJock14 for Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR - the strongest debut by a writer I have seen in 15 years...an excellent story.
@markkur for "LIttle Britain" - I love the premise, the experiment and the challenge...and I just love the guy.

For EUIV:

@fabiolundiense for [1.22] Horses for a Kingdom : A Pontic AAR - great challenge and writing.
@JerseyGiants88 for Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR - great style and presentation (nice screens too).
@stnylan for Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu - one of the most creative works in the history of the forum.
@volksmarschall for Europa: In the Age of the Fourth Race of Kings - professorial for good reason, this is an exemplar of the genre.

For Victoria II:

@Jape for Forza Italia! - excellent work and hopefully more to come.
@RossN for L'Empereur est mort: A French AAR - history book at its best.
@Russiaruler for Song Long Qi—An isolationist China AAR - I do not tend to read a lot of Vickie AARs these days but this one is top notch.
@TheCreator901 for Atlasii Steel and Blood - it is clear that much effort and love went into this work and it should be recognized.

For HoI4:

@George_VI for Advance Britannia! - A Kaiserreich Restored United Kingdom AAR - I am a sucker for English/British works and this one is great.
@Lordban for The Führer Goes Nuts! (again) - great comedy and great to see the writer back amongst us.
@stnylan for Uranium for Uruguay - an offshoot and it remains just as creative.
@ThaHoward for Long Live the Permament Revolution! - a Trotskyist Soviet AAR. - very well done and a great look at the time. I may put this up here if for nothing else the great chummy picture of Stalin and Trotsky at the start. Great find!

I hope to add more and reserve the right to change my vote in the time allowed. My goal in the new year is to look at the other games a lot more than I have. They deserve just as much love. :)

Europa Universalis IV
The TTTUNA (Tales of Torrid Tunisian Nights Aar) by @fabiolundiense
Tawhid al Islam: Rassids 1.23 for Unify Islam by @mackwolfe
Europa: In the Age of the Fourth Race of Kings by @volksmarschall
Byzantium's Brother: The White Phoenix - A 1356 Epirus AAR by @Ericpiplup

Crusader Kings II
Before Plantagenet - A House d'Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14
The Songs of Sheeran - A CKII AGOT Narrative AAR by @EmpireofOne
The Bold Prince by @coz1
Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR by @tpmcinty

Stellaris
The Calling of Nharr - Stellaris Succession Game AAR by @Nikolai
The iron march by @Kamelot
Stellaris Wars: The Imperium Marches by @Arithmetician
Grim Tomorrows: Selected Documents from the United Nations/Hoffman-Wutani Colonization Partnership by @benacre

Hearts of Iron IV
The Sleeping Giant Awakens: A USA Kaiserreich AAR by @History_Buff
Advance Britannia! - A Kaiserreich Restored United Kingdom AAR by @George_VI
The Führer Goes Nuts! (again) by @Lordban
Long Live the Permanent Revolution! - a Trotskyist Soviet AAR. by @ThaHoward

Victoria II
Baltic Lightning: a Grand Campaign AAR [Vic 2 Branch] by @Centurial
L'empereur est mort: A French AAR by @RossN
Song Long Qi - An isolationist China AAR by @Russiaruler
Building a New Poland - an Poland 1946 NWO AAR by @adriankowaty

Other
The Alternate Scenario - Germany by @Vonsson [HoI3]
A new Hungary, 1936 AAR by @Lautipus [HoI3]
"U-boats for Uruguay" a short TFH farce by @markkur
France: A Quick and Dirty HoI3 AAR - 1936 Start by @Bullfilter

Didn't see this before now! :) Thank you very much. I'll look into the AARs a little bit more before I nominate some for myself! :D

Oops ! I did it again ! :( And here I thought I had checked thoroughly.... Editing will happen !

My ballot for CK2:

1. Before Plantagenet, @JabberJock14
2. The Wolves of Westseaxna, @Asantahene
3. The Bold Prince, @coz1
4. Blut und Schlacht: A Learner's Saga, @Bullfilter

All 4 are outstanding in their own way and presented in no particular order (actually the order in which they appeared on the forums this morning lol). I should really start visiting the other AAR forums; sadly, CK2 is the only Paradox game that I find I have the time for anymore.

I have to admit that I could have easily nominated a number of other AAR's that I have been reading for awhile and feel bad about omitting, CK2 is such a fantastic base for storytelling and there are a lot of talented writers on the forum.

Good luck to everyone!

My ballot for CK2:

1. Before Plantagenet, @JabberJock14
2. The Wolves of Westseaxna, @Asantahene
3. The Bold Prince, @coz1
4. Blut und Schlacht: A Learner's Saga, @Bullfilter

All 4 are outstanding in their own way and presented in no particular order (actually the order in which they appeared on the forums this morning lol). I should really start visiting the other AAR forums; sadly, CK2 is the only Paradox game that I find I have the time for anymore.

I have to admit that I could have easily nominated a number of other AAR's that I have been reading for awhile and feel bad about omitting, CK2 is such a fantastic base for storytelling and there are a lot of talented writers on the forum.

Good luck to everyone!
Many thanks for the nod @PVT Ascoobis

@loup99, thanks once again for running the ACAs.

Here are my votes and props for the 2017 4th Quarter. I’m still mainly reading the HOI3 and CK2 forums, so that’s where the weight of my votes will go. One day I may branch out more, but find at the moment my time is very fully occupied!

As always, anyone else I’m following and commenting on, that’s in effect a vote I wasn’t able to include because of the number limit of four votes per forum, so please don’t feel unloved. I put a premium too on activity as well as quality, so there are a few slow-movers which are great to read that may not have made it on for that reason. Doesn’t make them any less worthy of reading – slow-cooked fare can often be very tasty!

xxx​

CK2

1. Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14

Caught up during this last quarter, always a riveting read.​

2. The Bold Prince by @coz1

Read all of The Rightful King then caught up with The Bold Prince during the quarter. If that doesn’t signify ‘page-turner’, I don’t know what does!​

3. The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex by @Asantahene

Always great story telling, characters and reader engagement.​

4. The Red Crown: a sAARdinian Tale by @prominences

I wanted to include a newcomer, and this AAR has been a rollicking ride, with great writing, humour, irony and storytelling. Quite different in feel from many AARs, and very clever use of different voices. You just have to follow Perdu’s adventures in the first section of what I hope will be a long-running AAR.​

xxx​

This means I’m torn, because there are other AARs I’d wanted to include. Such as @Eurasia’s Road of Queens, which is prolific, always amusing, quirky and a favourite of mine. I’d also like to recognise @steelcan for their Nova Anglia, HIP AAR; @cbusalex for their inventive wiki-style History of House Flatnefr; and a nod to @rufy_king for actually getting me into an AGOTAAR – something I didn’t think I’d ever do (no disrespect to the inspiration or the AAR genre; I’ve read all the books before I watched all the series) – with his raucous Reavers of the Isle. :eek:

@markkur’s Little Britain was a small gem that came and went during the quarter – the host House killed off by merciless raiders and quarrelsome neighbours. While @alscon’s The Forgotten Fifth introduced me to the ‘blood eagle’ :eek: and is now just getting to the story’s title aim: to make the fifth Ragnarrson remembered!

And when @thebutterflycomposer gets back from his well-earned sabbatical and into writing regularly again for The Little Dux and/or The Empire of Albion, I’m going to have an even harder time deciding how to narrow down my CK2 votes to four only! In the meantime he’s been a generous and prolific commentatAAR on many other AARs.

xxx​

Other – HOI3

1. 'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3.

Still going strong, with new character-based work introduced during the quarter as well. A mainstay of the HOI3 forum.​

2. “U-boats for Uruguay” a short TFH farce by @markkur.

Wrapped up during the quarter, very funny and lived up to its name (short and farcical). Watch out for his new Bitter Fruit”, which started up after the quarter finished.​

3. The Alternate Scenario by @vonsson.

A short and sharp AAR which showcased an interesting mod he’s done, which started and finished within the quarter – a tribute to his brevity and conciseness.​

4. Edit: an eagle-eyed friend has pointed out to me that my nomination of Polish Victory, Polish Defeat - an AAR by @marxiantj is invalid, since it began just after the end of the quarter, in early January! Sorry marxian, keep going with your excellent AAR, maybe next time! I therefore instead nominate @El Pip’s Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44.

xxx​

I’d also like to commend @lautipus for his dedicated efforts to make Hungary great (again?) in A new Hungary, 1936 AAR. Some other excellent new HOI3 content came in during the quarter and in January as well: a really good period for the forum, I reckon.

xxx​

HOI4

1. Uranium for Uruguay by @stnylan.

A short, sharp and quirky spin-off from markkur’s U-Boats for Uruguay. Another admirably fast paced ‘niche AAR’ that began and wrapped up during the quarter.​

xxx​

Finally, thank-you for everyone who has nominated one of my AARs for this quarter – it’s lovely to have your support. And to anyone whose AARs I read and comment on but haven’t nominated or mentioned above, I love your work too or I would be doing so! :)

There will have been some excellent work very worthy of nomination I’ll have missed, especially on CK2, as there is just so much to see and only so much time to see it (and write etc). But as long as we all have some readAARs, we’ll be happy! :D

Last edited:
And when @thebutterflycomposer gets back from his well-earned sabbatical and into writing regularly again for The Little Dux and/or The Empire of Albion, I’m going to have an even harder time deciding how to narrow down my CK2 votes to four only! In the meantime he’s been a generous and prolific commentatAAR on many other AARs.

Eurgh...I might be a doctor before that happens so you're good for a while yet. Good recommendations there though. Vic2 isn't as active as the other forums (in comparison of course, there's still new stuff going on there) so I'd recommended there next if you wanted to expand. Stylan's tutorial run with Sweden was particularly good (and relatively recent) but there's some real good ones on there like the Punjab comic strip.

Thanks to all that nominated my stuff (for some reason). I'll try and get some votes in this week if I get chance. There's a lot to vote for this time around.

This means I’m torn, because there are other AARs I’d wanted to include.
There will have been some excellent work very worthy of nomination I’ll have missed, especially on CK2, as there is just so much to see and only so much time to see it (and write etc). But as long as we all have some readAARs, we’ll be happy! :D

Given how some had fears about the AARland dying, I guess it's a good thing that CK2's section is full of good stories recently updated.

A total of 13 different CK2 AARs have received at least one valid vote in those ACAs !

Though this raises the question for the next editions - is the current format best for a blossoming subforum.

Last edited:
My picks for Q4 ACAs for 2017
{Award-ballot started by loup99, Jan 1, 2018.}

EUIV – After Action Reports

I do not own EUIV but stnylan and Tom D. have interesting stories that drew me in and certainly deserve this recognition.

1. Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu by stnylan
"http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/entering-the-first-court-kanem-bornu.1040003/"

2. One Empire to rule them all - A Brandenburg into Prussia into German Empire AAR by Tom D.
"http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-into-prussia-into-german-empire-aar.1039230/"

Crusader Kings II – After Action Reports

CKII is a gold-mine and I cannot recognize all the fine nuggets.:) With these four, I yet try to stay current; all are wonderful tales and are not ranked in order.

Heading my list...a powerful Jorvik? Yes and very well told.

1. by tpmcinty
Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR

Wolves in the West? They howl like the wuffings of East-Anglia – very enjoyable.
2. by Asantahene
The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex

House of Wessex? An excellent Realm-Story nearing “Book the Third” which I think is a very effective word-call...back to the old lands of Trilogy. Nice touch that.

3. by coz1

The Bold Prince [Book the Second on the House of Wessex]

RedTemplar’s saga is an exciting and epic-struggle between shifting power. “Jarling” [play on "Jarring"];)

4. by RedTemplar

The Eastern Vikings - Baltic Megacampaign Part 1

I have two CKII Honorable-Mentions

Albion in a history book? Very effective narration.

a. by TheButterflyComposer.
The Empire of Albion

Next, my respect here for all members in this group that navigate Multiplayer, working the Mod amid the challenge of surviving and writing the overall tale. Forefront in the Genre.

b. by Multiple-players & Writaars
We Must Feed Our Sea: Multiplayer megacampaign

Other – After Action Reports

Once again there are more HoI3 AARs than I can well follow. Because of my health I am finding that doing my own thing is now much more consuming. Like CKII, there are more than I can possibly list.

The first is Bullfilter’s Talking-Turkey Fyi, I followed Specialist’s-lead and took the time to create a recognition for an AAR that excels and the reason for the spotlight. Briefly, following the tale of this Alt-Turkey is a panorama of story-elements and presentation, behind a huge inventive effort. I gave Bullfilter my Silver-Silo-Award for this body of work. And to consider he has two more active, one an immense Guide? Yeah

1. by Bullfilter
Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936

I have had many responses in my short time here regarding “details.” roverS3’s effort here is as detailed as I could ever imagine and provide. However, in addition, he too has many tools at work behind his creativity and exploration. Finally; “he chose the road less traveled” and is about to turn his long-preparation over to the A. I. and regulate himself to combat-reporter.

2. by roverS3
'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee

Slovakia in 1944 with a cast of hilarious characters trying to make sense of Zombies? Yeah...El Pip’s inventions and penchant for historical-accuracy? Make his expose’ of the dynamic-duo of T&T and their supporting-cast? a very enjoyable read. Comedy on a microscope-slide.:cool:

3. by El Pip
Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44

My last is from a newer WritAAR and I’ve added his effort because of his goal of making a landlocked-nation become a sea-power (without magic-powder) ;)and also his discussions with his readers. <imvho> A fresh-look at venturing-out into Story-land behind Lautipus’ choice of an Alt-Hungary in which he ramped-up quickly – I think a new author to watch. A natural for future Teamplay in some variation.

4. by Lautipus
A new Hungary, 1936 AAR

Ineligible now but a tale to follow...for the next qtr.

MarxianTJ and I share what I will call a “can I survive this game situation?” but unlike myself…he is an analytic-master at defining and telling his picked-challenges and his strategic-narration gets better each time he ventures-out.

by marxianTJ
Polish Victory, Polish Defeat - an AAR

[I wish all WritAARs across the forums - a creative future in all directions in Life]