• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
#2: Raid on the Rhyme

This is an interesting story told mostly in rhyme, and partly in what is left to be inferred. It did NOT go where I expected. After the three first verses, I expected the ending would turn this into a dead tyrant poem, but the final verse didn't bring clarity.

I've got only two real complaints, and the first is the lies/misery rhyme in the first verse. Both the ending vowel and the -es ending together makes it a bit hard to swallow, so I would have preferred lie/misery, which would change the meaning by making one of the participatings a secret lie (perhaps taking part under false pretenses, perhaps something else) and made it more intriguing, or lies/miseries, either of which would make it scan slightly better by only making the reader deal with one violation.

The second being the shirts/dirt in the final verse, which borders on the plain awful, but certainly makes the reader wonder, not only because of the plural issue, but just how can holes fill a shirt? And possibly also tears, since this being written rather than spoken, the reader might well imagine it was moisture from weeping rather than the shirts being torn, especially because nobody, and I mean nobody, would ever say that something was filled with that kind of tears.

I contend that unless the intention of the lines is that one should imagine shirts that aren't there (being filled with holes) which nevertheless suck up an enormous amount of moisture from the weeping of their wearers, perhaps one of these two would do better:

Betrayal we could not avert // OR, if the invocation of graphic violence is important,
Broken bodies' blood did squirt // Going large ham here, try reading that in Brian Blessed's voice :D)

Ending with "lie within the dirt" works, but could perhaps be better. If they are unquit dead screaming every night, then there are much better options than this, whereas if the screaming is over and done and they are resting peacefully, it more traditional rest would perhaps be in order. So how about

Though dead we suffer under dirt. // for the unquiet dead option; needs more work, but good enough for government work
Now dead we rest within the dirt. // for the more traditional option

Or something like that, if the dirt ending is important.

ANYHOW, well done writing in verse. I approve.

There's just one more thing to say, really. Not a complaint as such, but still, it bears mentioning: The reader might rightfully wonder what this poem has to do with raiding a secret archive. The connection isn't obvious. :D

GUESS THE AUTHOR: The obvious guess would be me, except I already claimed that I wrote 6, so it would be ridiculous for me to claim that I wrote this one too. I'll blame @HistoryDude instead.

Remaining criticism coming up tomorrow, just need finishing touches.

#3: The Adventures of Croft, sr.

A well structured story of stiff-lipped derringdo that feels so very British I was tempted to pin it on @Wyvern, but it doesn't quite read like his words. The story flows swiftly, perhaps too swiftly. I'd have loved it to be fleshed out a bit more, but I got the essentials: alternate history without Vichy in WW2 due to Petáin timeline divergence, his proposal covered up and the details of that later uncovered by British intelligence.

GUESS THE AUTHOR: I'll guess @DensleyBlair instead.

#4: The Story of Shara, Who Once Knew the Fat Man

Who was the fat man? Who knows? Who cares? This is the essence of the story of Shara, who apparently seeks evidence that the man she knew once existed, existed, or some of his lost stories, or plays by his hand, indisputably proving that he wrote them, only to have the tomes proving so turn to dust in her hands. Or something like that.

The story is short and to the point, the quest of a lifetime reaching its end, unsatisfactorily, and it is l well written if extremely short on detail. And perhaps that is how it should be.

It certainly works well enough here, even if it leaves this reader wishing for more.

There are a few missteps.

You know how they say that metaphors are to similies what cheese is to waffles, a lot of water under the bridge, and we've all passed a lot of water since then?

No, me neither.

I bring this up because of a part of the opening line, that should have been dead and buried with the Fat Man: "the tomes were dusty and breaking apart from the sands of time".

Passage of time or passing of time being too conventional, the the author chose the title of a well-known Prince of Persia game instead, and left this reader wondering how that sentence made any kind of sense instead.

And what's up with tomes breaking apart due to old age, when Shara is only 80 years old and once knew the Fat Man? Perhaps he wrote them some decades earlier. Just how have they been stored, that they are so brittle they tear apart at a touch after such a short period of time, yet haven't been outright destroyed by the elements? If it isn't outright destroyed by fire or water, both paper, parchment, and vellum lasts a long time.

I don't really have anything to add to this story other than nitpicking and the final amusement that this is the second piece that has a story/storey mixup, but unlike in #6 I doubt it is deliberate here.

GUESS THE AUTHOR: I am probably wrong, but my guess would be that @TheButterflyComposer wrote this.

#5: Walkabout, the Roman Veii

Set at the time of Hannical Barca, we meet Mago the Carthaginian going walkabout, seeing the strange sights, tasting the water, and having extravagantly good luck finding ancient texts with an X marks the treasure, or the next best thing.

There are a few slightly strange sentences. Sculptures containing heads, for instance. Is containing the best word to use here? It probably is because later columns contain other things, but as it is the first column described the reader is likely to think that the heads are supposed to be depictions on the column, in which case contains would be the wrong word.

How about drinking water, because he has run out of other drinks? That is both perfectly understandable and technically correct use of the word drinks as it can be used as a term for several liquids suitable for drinking, but these days it is apt to leave the reader wondering where Mago lost his cocktail bar.

Nitpicking aside, where the previous entry had writings in either very good shape given exposure to the elements or very poor shape, given the lack of exposure, this story has papyrus, scrolls, and books in a column standing in a roofless building, that have definitely been exposed to the elements for decades or centuries, though apparently none the worse for wear. Now that's ancient craftsmanship!

Not only that, Mago has little trouble reading the ancient texts. That's one lucky Carthaginian.

...Or perhaps they were deposited there for Mago to find a few days ago, by parties unknown or, more likely, Mago is making the whole thing up and his popular Guide to Veii that changed the course of history was written up in a bar somewhere, which not only explains his delusions but also goes to show that war correspondents have way too much power.

GUESS THE AUTHOR: Since I traditionally pin one entry on @Wyvern each GTA round and I'll do so this time as well, and this is it.

Excellent to see some final critiques and guesses come through over the weekend. As this round has being going on for a long time, I will now bring this stage of things to a close. Thus, without further ado, here are your mystery authAARs:

Entry #1 – “The Most Impossible Find”
@Macavity116

Entry #2 – “A gathering of hats and coats”
@TheButterflyComposer

Entry #3 – “In a building without a name”
@El Pip

Entry #4 – “Shara looked and could not believe”
@coz1

Entry #5 – “A Raid on Roman Veii”
@HistoryDude

Entry #6 – “The Raid on the Secret and Forbidden Archive of Kønugardr”
@Peter Ebbesen

Have at it!

• 2Like
Reactions:
ONE RIGHT: I guessed @Peter Ebbesen had written #6. :D

And also, ha! I had guessed the right two writers for #2 and #5, TheButterflyComposer and HistoryDude, but assigned each responsibility for the other's writing.

I got NONE right!? Man, I gotta read more AAR's.

Kudos to everyone else for sharing your creations with us. :)

Well, I do appreciate the tag. I was going to say something, but I didn't want to spoil it. Also, the fact that the story seemed a lot like something I would write is still very helpful, especially since someone else also mentioned that my last chapter was "choppy." Definitely looking forward to actually sending in some samples at some point.

I vaguely remember something about being asked about this but I very much misunderstood and thought that a part of an AAR I had already written would be used. Now that I know where this thread is and what is about, I definitely look forward to either sending in samples or even just lurking.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Kudos all around for both our writAARs and those that offered critiques. As usual, the critique of my own work is entirely accepted and mostly accurate. The only thing I would correct is the misspelling of "story" at the end. In fact, it was done so quite purposefully as the giveaway to the entire (short) piece. There were clues throughout all from @Storey's various AARs, but mostly Desert Tides. The prompt seemed like something he would write very well and so I tried to match his style and likely not very well. Miss that dude around here!

Thanks for running another round @DensleyBlair!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for running another round @DensleyBlair!
Pleasure! One of the few reasonably-low-commitment initiatives I can still reliably contribute to around here. :D

Once people have done their fb-fb we can think about a new prompt.

• 1Like
Reactions:
ONE RIGHT: I guessed @Peter Ebbesen had written #6. :D

And also, ha! I had guessed the right two writers for #2 and #5, TheButterflyComposer and HistoryDude, but assigned each responsibility for the other's writing.

Close enough I guess.

I really went out of left field with this one so not surprised no one got it.

I'm on a "Engage with the Forum and do stuff" kick right now, so fb-fb;

#3:

This one is short form when it could have used some longer set up. That said, I quite like Croft. It crams a lot into a little (that is the project.) He stands out even if the entire affair is quite a lot and I'm still not certain what was found. Documents. I got that. But the ending seems rushed. It starts with alacrity and then ends maybe too quickly.
This was pretty much what you said last time I tried GtA, trying to cram a lot into a short space and you are probably right. I definitely crashed into the word limit during the first draft and much of the editing was cutting down to fit. I could have cut chunks out to give the rest room to breath, but I liked the pace and felt it was still clear enough. Alas perhaps it was not. In any even I'm glad you liked Croft, I had many plans for him in an AAR I know I will never have time to write.

Entry 3: Lots of moving parts and attention to detail here. I think this is @HistoryDude pretending to be @El Pip
I got NONE right!? Man, I gotta read more AAR's.
You were incredibly close. I'm taking it as a compliment that the style is distinct enough to be recognisable, and indeed to be worth interpreting. :)

#3: The Adventures of Croft, sr.

A well structured story of stiff-lipped derringdo that feels so very British I was tempted to pin it on @Wyvern, but it doesn't quite read like his words. The story flows swiftly, perhaps too swiftly. I'd have loved it to be fleshed out a bit more, but I got the essentials: alternate history without Vichy in WW2 due to Petáin timeline divergence, his proposal covered up and the details of that later uncovered by British intelligence.

GUESS THE AUTHOR: I'll guess @DensleyBlair instead.
It is no bad thing to be compared to Densley and I'm pleased at least some readers got the essentials of it. As you also raise the pacing being a bit too quick I admit I am wondering if I should have left the idea in the file and done a slower and more fleshed out job instead, even if I don't know when that would ever be. That said I suppose I still could, the character's adventure can be be more interesting than any plot twist.

Thanks to everyone who did review, as I say every time I shall attempt to actually do reviews in the next round whenever DB decides to launch it.

• 2Like
Reactions: