• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

starkwolf

Captain
54 Badges
Jan 13, 2019
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Empire of Sin
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • King Arthur II
Author's note: I have never done an AAR before, but this looks really fun! My apologies if the formatting is bad or anything. Also, question: we are allowed to post multiple AARs right? This looks like a lot of fun!

My format will be one post per play session, with the OP being the species intro. I will try and add a table of contents on the bottom of the OP. I would love feedback on my storytelling! Just be nice about it please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upload_2019-1-24_21-39-42.png

Above: A brief introduction to the Gulk Furki

Life on Gul is not a life most species would consider pleasant. But to the Gulk-Furki, it is home. They say the land is like its inhabitants: cruel and unrelenting. Lore has it that the Wussari were once equally so, but their lack of flight capabilities made them easy pickings for the Gulk-Furki. Entire Wussari families were kidnapped and subjected to a miserable servitude, until not a single free Wussari was known to exist.

But that is not to say life is easy for the Gulk Furki either. The life of a dynasty member is fraught with treachery, fear, and brutality, from both within and without the dynasty. Only the most cunning, and generally the most ruthless survive. In particular, turnovers of dynasties have been known to be quite harsh, involving many unspeakable atrocities. But, as a rule atrocities are a way of life for the Gulk-Furki. And they would have it no other way.

In time, however, a combination of ambition, boredom, and curiosity drove the Gulk-Furki to the stars. And it is here, during the reign of Emperor Darmug of the Yepar Dynasty that this wonderous, treacherous, and brutal journey through the stars begins.

Below: A brief introduction to the Wussari, a servile species:
upload_2019-1-24_22-9-5.png

Complete! May occasionally revise and proofread to fix grammatical errors.

Prologue: Emperor Darmug
2200-2225
2225-2234
2234-2243
2244-2253: The Gulk'-Errisu War
2253-2267: The enlightened reign of Empress Yndana
2267-2281: The calm before the storm
2281-2292: Ascendance to federation!
2292-2300: The Growth Continues
2300-2310: War & Chaos
The Aftermath
Author's Notes

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to the forums! I'm interested to see where this AAR goes.

Also, question: we are allowed to post multiple AARs right?

I'm also pretty new to the forums, so I can't answer your question about running multiple AARs. There are plenty of friendly people around here with answers, though. *cough* @stnylan *cough*

Welcome to AAR writing. I hope you enjoy yourself.

And yes, you are very much allowed to post multiple AARs. Indeed, quite a few people have multiple AARs on the go. It can be tricky to manage, but it is certainly done.

Welcome to AAR writing. I hope you enjoy yourself.

And yes, you are very much allowed to post multiple AARs. Indeed, quite a few people have multiple AARs on the go. It can be tricky to manage, but it is certainly done.

Awesome! I don't know if I will be running them simultaneously or not, but once this one is completed I suspect it won't be long before I go right on to a new one.

Welcome to AAR writing! :) Several AARs are indeed allowed, I have two ongoing myself. But be careful not to overextend and burn out. :)

Emperor Darmug was known for being a particularly cruel leader, even for the Gulk-Furki. He initiated what would come to be known as The Darmug Doctrine. The Darmug Doctrine established that regardless of diplomatic relationship, any aliens met would be treated as inferior if they chose to live on Gul, should borders be opened. His policy of unity through fear, though not uncommon among the Gulk', involved a great deal closer observation and micromanagement than any leader that had come before. Spies were seeded among the populace, and none knew if their neighbor was a spy for the Emperor. Yet, these spies did not merely wait to hear of dissent to turn others in, but actively promoted the emperor's ideals through the more easily persuaded, letting them do the loud speaking so as to keep a low profile.

But Emperor Darmug struggled deeply in his personal life. His daughter, Crown Princess Yndan, had always been a curious child. While the emperor initially applauded his daughter's growing intellect, he became concerned when she started to demonstrate signs of empathy towards lower-order beings, especially the Wussari. Her curiosity about how the Wussari experience life was not uncommon among the Gulk', but typically young Gulk' start showing their dominance towards the Wussari at an early age, taking any toys they may have and forcing them to do jobs they don't feel like doing. But his daughter was demonstrating signs of empathy towards the Wussari, even having a favorite playmate named Ki-Va, whom she was generous towards. Though the emperor had them separated and Ki-Va's family harshly punished, this only widened the rift between the emperor and his daughter, and she became more and more fascinated with kindness towards others, a trait her father feared might make her a weak ruler, more vulnerable to emotional manipulation.

Darmug_Yndan.png

More to come, possibly later tonight.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-25_13-48-1.png
    upload_2019-1-25_13-48-1.png
    899,9 KB · Views: 129
So the future is perhaps not has the Emperor would like it.

Interesting. Perhaps, should the daughter live to rule, a change in doctrine might be seen all pver the Empire?

The reign of Emperor Darmug oversaw a large growth in the size of the Gulk-Furki fleet, but also substantial developments in science and technology. In just 14 years, his policy of unity through fear had achieved its desired results, and scientists eager to prove their competence and to escape punishment found themselves in heavy competition, further speeding up Gulk' technological progress. But this came at a grave cost. Gulk' scientists started to become more reckless, focusing on grand and exciting discoveries and refusing to back down. It is due to this recklessness that Captain Lathir of the science ship ISS Kadmun the Restorer lost his life and his crew, investigating a derelict ship whose crew had slain each other. Whatever the cause, Captain Lathir was tortured and slain by his chief engineer Kadrun, and presumably the cycle on the derelict ship repeated itself on the ISS Kadmun. Emperor Darmug is said to have personally mourned the loss of such an effective scientist and crew. But while one scientist had unfortunately passed away with the loss of his entire ship and crew, another found herself growing closer to Emperor Darmug and becoming his closest political ally, scientist Jonnara of the ISS Cyssak the Dignified, who formed the Citizen Obedience Party, furthering the unity of the Gulk-Furki to an extent that had never been seen before in the history of the Gulk'.
Domination completion.png Death of Lathir.png Jonnara founds Citizen Obedience.png

The expeditions of both vessels discovered startling evidence of monstrous alien life, including a giant skeleton of an inter-dimensional being, before having a violent encounter with a species known as the Beta Aliens, a strange creature that attacked Jonnara's science vessel before being defeated by the glorious fleet of Admiral Katrilla, who defeated the monstrous creatures with no ship losses, though the ISS Rhun the Unyielding took severe damage and crew losses. The crew of the Rhun the Unyielding recalled a terrible experience of an acid-like substance burning through whomever it struck, dissolving away flesh and bone in a most excruciating manner. The survivors fondly recall the screams of their comrades, and not so fondly the fear of such happening to them.
skeleton part 2.png First shot, first combat.png

Despite all of the evidence of intelligent life, however, in 25 years of deep space exploration there were still no signs of competing space empires. Surely, however, they must exist. The evidence for their existence is far too strong. Thus, after completing his program of unity through fear, Emperor Darmug began a new policy of Pre-emptive Domination, to grow his military to face the elusive, yet undiscovered space empires that certainly must exist.
Supremacy start.png

The year 2220 saw some enormous changes. The planet Obeshoth Prime, though a long distance away from the home planet of Gul, showed strikingly similar characteristics to Gul and Emperor Darmug ordered a colony ship to be immediately constructed. The ISS Itrabaum Whirlwind had a long journey ahead of it, fraught with infighting and pain. The Wussari sent to test the surface came back without any significant injuries, and an autopsy showed no evidence of anything harmful on the surface. After 4 long years from the beginning of construction, the colonization of Obeshoth Prime could finally begin.
Itrabaum Wirlwind.png

At home, some of Emperor Darmug's concerns about his daughter were laid to rest. She proved to be highly effective at getting work out of the most stubborn Wussari, using a highly unorthodox program of kindly inspiration. Although Emperor Darmug still found his daughter's tactics unsettling, he came to appreciate their effectiveness when he noticed in 2213 that her keen eye for the personalities of the Wussari had some distinct advantages, in particular in that she got an exceptional amount of work out of Wussari slaves that would have normally been tortured and killed for their disobedience. Despite their differences, Emperor Darmug embraced his daughter's efficiency.
Yndan development 1.png

But reality would prove itself to be stranger still, as a shrine to the Untold was discovered by Scientist Jonnara floating in space.
familiar shrine chain.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question, how do I link this post on the OP to make a nice table of contents?

Last edited:
Question, how do I link this post on the OP to make a nice table of contents?
Click on the #9 (in this case) next to the quote and reply buttons on the lower right, and copy the code. :)

The father-daughter relationship here is an unexpected delight. I also love the phrase "a highly unorthodox program of kindly inspiration" :D

The father-daughter relationship here is an unexpected delight. I also love the phrase "a highly unorthodox program of kindly inspiration" :D

Glad to hear it is so interesting, I will keep more coming. However, it is possible my next update may be in a couple weeks. It is based on when I have access to my computer that isn't elderly, which is at my parent's place. I do get nice 4 day weekends though every other week, and this 4 day weekend is coming to a close. I might be able to get one more chapter in, we will see. Not likely though. Probably weekend after next.

My canon for why the Gulk' are so cruel towards the Wussari is that since they have little in the way of amenities, and the Gulk can be pretty cruel towards each other, they seek an outlet for their frustration, and since the Wussari have been at their mercy for enough generations for evolution to take hold, they are an easy outlet. But every so often a Gulk' is born with stronger than usual empathy that can overpower the desire for an outlet. There are also elements of cowardice and convenience, like with sending them first down to the colony.

Last edited:
2225-2234

The discovery of the shrine to The Untold shook the very foundation of Gulk' society. The discovery would give new credence to their nearly forgotten religion, and many Gulk began to repent of their arrogant ways, as the ancient texts warn of the downfall of the prideful. "Intrigue to the Untold, obedience to the Gulk-Furki" the ancient texts said, as well as other such sayings as "Gulk' leaders are fleeting, but the reign of The Untold is forever. Follow him and you shall be rewarded." For generations followers of the Cult of The Untold were shunned and humiliated, but those that held their beliefs to this discovery found the situation reversed, and themselves looked up to. Emperor Darmug himself quickly converted to The Cult of The Untold, and the renowned physicist Monnobaki would form the backbone of the Conclave of The True Gospel, being himself a secret follower of The Untold. Although he found a convert in Emperor Darmug, shook to the core from the discovery, many of his goals for the Conclave remained unobtained. Though satisfied, he knew there was work to be done, and on the side of his scientific endeavors worked hard to gain followers for The Untold. Emperor Darmug, shaken at the thought of how his actions could be interpreted by The Untold as hubris, loosened his grip on his people and directed their attention to also follow The Untold. Yet, He could only refer to himself as "Grand Prophet" for a matter of months before noticing the effect was insignificant, and with some clever personal interpretation decided that it would not necessarily be hubris to declare himself "Glorious Leader."

His daughter could not have been more delighted to see this change in her father. Although he still demonstrated cruelty towards the Wussari, he did not punish them as often as he used to, and for the same offense would punish them less severely. For they, too, were creations of The Untold. But her father never lost his eye for intrigue, and when his compassion was interpreted as weakness, his daughter discovered a plot to end his life. The two of them made a public example of the traitors and their relationship grew close, Emperor Darmug realizing that his daughter's eye for intrigue seemed unfettered by her compassion, and Princess Yndan was glad to see her father's usual cruelty to now be tempered by a shred of mercy she had never before seen as he now demonstrated towards the poor and the Wussari.
religious finale.png

But there was little time to dwell on it. In the year 2228, first contact was made with an alien empire, soon discovered to be the Cynn Assembly. After translation of their language was complete, Emperor Darmug went with his bodyguards to meet the leader of the Cynn, Chancellor Dluuret, in person.
meeting the Cynn.png 2229 political map.png
Emperor Darmug tugged and fiddled with his headset. "Head Sociologist Yndana, these contraptions better be absolutely necessary for communication with the Cynn. If my scientists find an option that is effective and more comfortable than this within the year, it's 10 minutes in the birdie boiler for you" he said in an eerily playful manner. "If your scientists find an option that is more comfortable and effective than this within the year, you can make it 20. Not going to happen." she responded with a confident respect. Emperor Darmug grinned "Your devotion to quality combined with your competence is why you have your job. But really, once a better option comes along make it a priority to get rid of these annoying headsets!" Yndana nodded.

After Yndana went over the diplomatic details regarding the Cynn, their transport craft docked at Cynthra. Emperor Darmug, despite years of practice masking his emotions, could not hold back an expression of shock at all the strange races wandering around the Cynthra spacedock. The Cynn themselves were not that unusual, also being an avian species with features vaguely resembling the Gulk' themselves. But among these other races were creatures with tentacles hanging from their chins, a creature that resembled an old species the Gulk' used to ride for fun before they were wiped out by a plague, and yet a third race with a most bizzare, plant-like appearance. All these years of knowing at least one space-faring alien empire must exist, but the emperor was never prepared to see so many different species. The galaxy itself seemed to be a place just as competitive as his home planet of Gul had been for thousands of years. The kind of inter-species competition that the Gulk' had evolved for, but had been absent for thousands of years more, leaving the Gulk' at each other's throats and taking out their frustrations on the enslaved Wussari. A new competition was born that day, and a primitive excitement made his heart throb harder and harder until it felt like it would burst. It would be a time that combined the technology of his recent ancestors with the instincts of the most ancient of the Gulk' ancestors. It would be a time that would determine the dominance or extinction of the Gulk' race. At last, he arrived at the office of Chancellor Dluuret.

The Chancellor muttered some incomprehensible words, then over his headset the emperor heard "Welcome, stranger. We are most fascinated by your strange appearance and would love to learn about the history of your species, and I am sure you must indeed have many questions about our own. You cannot imagine what a joy it is for us to meet a fellow member of the galaxy, welcome!" Emperor Darmug couldn't believe what he was seeing. Here was a mature leader of a proud alien race, but rather than masking his emotions, the chancellor expressed a degree of excitement consistent with a Gulk' toddler over the very notion of foreign species. And unlike his own excitement, mixed with anxiety and ambition, the chancellor seemed to be filled with wonder and curiosity, fully present in the moment. "Know that your ships are not welcome in our space, chancellor. Any trespassers will be boarded, and no guarantees will be made of what will come of them. Any aggressive moves on your part will be met ten-fold..." the emperor continued listing restrictions for some time. "Follow these restrictions, and we shall have no quarrel with you. We are a rich and powerful empire, do not provoke and we may leave you alone." The chancellor smiled. "Your bluff is amusing, but we have no intention of provoking you at this time. We shall respond in kind, of course. But, for now, have you any interest in trade?" Emperor Darmug was quick to respond. "I see you have a number of other species in this facility of yours. What resources would interest you for the technology to communicate with them?" The chancellor frowned. "We don't entirely trust you, Emperor. We aren't sure there is anything you could offer." The Emperor glanced around, and then a wicked smile crossed his face. "Your people appear to be quite thin. I suspect if I were to offer you 30 years of rations, it would be an offer you couldn't refuse." The chancellor's frown grew as his stomach rumbled. "We will take your offer, Gulk'. You will have our empire reports and translation devices available to you within the month." With that, the Emperor nodded and left.
Com result 1.png

A few years later, Emperor Darmug returned with a generous gift. "Who's bluffing?" he asked, and walked away.

The Cynn would prove to not be the only concern. On the other side, The Great Erissu Regime would be discovered in the year 2233. They would declare their rivalry with the Gulk' within the year. Although they did not appear to be an immediate threat, the Gulk' did not survive as long as they had by taking unnecessary risks. Although the military was at capacity, Emperor Darmug would give grand gifts to the Cynn, and guarantee their independance, and well as guaranteeing the independence of the Fellnoll, a spiritual people whose religion mirrored that of the Cult of The Untold, but were noticeably egalitarian. As uncomfortable as Emperor Darmug was, the times were changing, fast. As his ancient ancestors had before him, Emperor Darmug would have to change with them.
Great Erissu Regime.png Rivalry declared Erissu.png

Attachments

• 2233_2 borders.png
    2233_2 borders.png
    1,1 MB · Views: 144
Neighbours. How lovely

2234-2243
In 2234, the situation was tense. The closed borders policy of the Gulk' was proving a great hindrance to the formation of alliances. The Glyrran Sovereignty, FDS, and Cynn Assembly were all on good terms with each other. The Gulk' had no choice but to swallow their pride, eat their hearts, and recognize that the centuries of dominance they were used to having over their known world was at an end. If they wished to survive, they had no choice but to enter into an equal terms alliance with at least one of their neighbors.

Initially, however, this did not mean they would open their borders. To add so many new species into their worlds, or even their space at once would throw their caste system into chaos. Gulk' above, Wussari below, but what about the newcomers? Even if the government officials could recognize this as a necessary sacrifice, certainly the people were not used to sharing their high position with such strange species and the risk of diplomatic incident was high. Opening the borders simply would not do. But keeping them closed led to a lot of hostility with their neighbors. The Erissu were the first to declare their rivalry with the Gulk', but they would not be the last. In 2235, the Cynn also declared their rivalry with the Gulk'.

Cynn rivalry.png

Emperor Darmug had gotten used to his headset in the many times he had come for his regular diplomatic meetings with Chancellor Dlurret. Although nothing ever came of these meetings, he had come to enjoy their chats no less. They shared a mutual excitement about the universe around them, an excitement Emperor Darmug was used to keeping private as it was not always shared by other Gulk'. But lately Chancellor Dlurret had become more aloof, and talked a great deal less. His invitations became more formal over time, and Emperor Darmug knew what was coming, he had seen it all too often before with the interhouse infighting among the Gulk'.

As he entered the board room with Chancellor Dlurret, the chancellor's eyes looked not even as they looked when they had first met, but as Gulk-Furki's eyes look when coming across a stranger for the first time: suspicious and analytical. There only remained a hint of the warmth that the Emperor had known.

"Greetings once again, Gulk'." The chancellor started. "I have some bad news."
The Emperor nodded in understanding and spoke up "I already know. Our goals are not aligned, and you have called me here to make your declaration of rivalry haven't you?"
The chancellor exuded disappointment in The Emperor's response. "While you are mostly right, you oversimplify the issues between our races."

After a moment of awkward silence, the chancellor continued. "Frankly, my good friend Darmug, the more we learn about the Gulk' the less we like. Your people are inherently cruel and bitter, and most importantly after all this time you still refuse to open your borders to us, or anyone else around you. This does not sit well with my people, whose very purpose in breathing is to satiate their vast wonder of those that are not like them, to build bridges, to observe, and to welcome others in. Your history is filled with backstabbing, and while I call you friend today, it does not sit well with me that tomorrow, if 'our goals do not align' as you say, you may call me 'enemy'. We can overlook your generations of abuse towards the Wussari that you sadly fail to appreciate, and we can be patient with your obsessive need for privacy. But the potential occurrence of a Gulk' backstab we cannot accept. We must pre-empt such an occurance for our own wellbeing. I hereby declare the Gulk' rivals of the Cynn, on the basis of posing an existential threat to our own existence."

After more silence, the Chancellor continued again. "Personally, I still think of you as a friend. But your ways concern me. If it comes to war, do not think that we will go easy on you. The Gulk' must fear us and only then can we dream of trust."

Had he not received a declaration of rivalry from the Erissu years earlier, he would have nailed the chancellor with an intimidating one-liner. But times were dire for the Gulk'. He simply nodded and walked away.

The very next year, the FDS and Glyrrans declared the formation of the Propitious Pact. A general sense of doom spread across the populace, as it was assumed the Cynn would join very soon. The result may very well be the end of the Gulk' as an civilization, perhaps even as a people. Quietly, some Gulk' even looked to the Wussari to try to understand how one may cope if they as oppressors were to become the oppressed under such a conquest as they now feared.
Propitious Pact formation.png

In an attempt to appease the potential future conquerors, Glorious Leader Darmug offered extravagant gifts to the Glyrran Sovereignty, but to maintain the veneer of strength also guaranteed their independence, as well as the independence of the FDS. Things however would not be as gloomy as they initially feared, however. While the Cynn were offered association status later that year, in 2237 the Gulk-Furki would be given association status as well, after agreement to many pacts, and not only the opening of borders to the FDS and Glyrran, but further a migration treaty. Surprisingly, not only did this not result in diplomatic incident, but further improved their relations. The race was on to become full members of the Propitious Pact before the Cynn.
Association status.png Association status for Gulk.png

On Gul, Glorious Leader Darmug was still concerned about his daughter's leadership abilities. While her unsettlingly kind methods were effective, he still found them unsettling. She had proved she was capable of making examples out of anyone that attempted to bully her, but she took extravagant risks standing up for others as well. Initially she struggled with drafting declarations, often being too loose in her wording, but she had improved much. She took to the responsibilities of leadership slowly, but steadily. But deep down he knew that training her in the old ways of intrigue and administration would be woefully insufficient for the challenges the Gulk' now faced. She needed training in diplomacy with these other starfaring societies.

Princess Yndana walked into her father's meeting room covered in blood. "Normally I would have washed first, father, but I understand you wished me here immediately?" Her father grinned darkly "That same kid was spreading rumors about you today wasn't she?" Yndana responded with pride "Yes father, but whether she wishes to or not I don't think she will be able to say much of anything until she recovers in a month or two I would guess, but I am no medicus, could be longer." Her father cackled. "Well that is all very amusing and I would love to hear more details sometime, but right now I think it is time you start on a very important mission, I think you will like this one. "Need me to convince some Gulk' to get something done?" Her father smiled. "You are half right, not some Gulk', some Glyrran. A very important Glyrran in fact, it is time for you to learn the art of diplomacy. As my daughter and the future Empress of Gul, I am granting you full diplomatic authority to gain the trust of the Glyrrans." His daughter cocked her head. "Father, our enemies are numerous and I have never done anything like this before. I have talked many Wussari and Gulk' into things, and frankly I find convincing other Gulk' to be a simple task from a rhetorical standpoint. But an alien entity that I know nothing about is a completely different matter." Her father beamed with pride. "You are wise for knowing not to enter into negotiations without knowing who you are negotiating with. Do not worry, you will be provided with all the relevant information en route that we have. As for alien entities being 'entirely different,' you will find that statement to be quite the exaggeration. There are some constants that may surprise you. But be aware that what seems natural to a Gulk' may not be so for others, things you would have never guessed. But you are young and novel, I have a strong feeling you will do better than I ever could." Their dispassionate expressions did little to hide the warmth of their father-daughter bond, their pride in each other was radiant. Not breaking with this radiance, her father spoke up "The ship leaves soon, better get yourself cleaned up and head out as soon as possible." His daughter nodded and headed off.

She returned with a signed guarantee of their independence, and talked at length about how much she enjoyed talking with their leader. The next day she would follow up with the FDS, and the pattern would continue in future dealings. In the following years, this guarantee was followed up by trade agreements, exchange agreements, and in time the Gulk' were granted association status into the Propitious Pact. With the Cynn already having association status, the race was on to become full members.

Meanwhile, in 2236 on the opposite front, the Gulk' met the Tel'Akkur Holy Mandate. While initially hopeful for a future alliance with this impressive empire with which they shared much in common, to the horror of all Gulk' the THM formally declared rivalry with the Gulk' in 2237, and to make matters worse began strengthening ties with the Erissu Regime. By 2243, the formation of a federation between the two seemed inevitable. But as the exploration around the borders of the Serene Djunn Kingdom continued, the opening of a third diplomatic front began. The fearsome Sinrath League was enormous in size, but though hostile towards the Gulk-Furki communications with the FDS and Glyrrans indicated that they were hostile towards all their neighbors, and as the Gulk' did not share a large border with the Sinrath this would allow them to focus on the immense threat on the western front, and building ties in the east.
Tal'Akkur meeting.png Tal'Akkur rivalry.png Sinrath contact.png

[I imagine Jonnara's voice sounds like Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager]

Captain's log: Stardate 2238.09.16:
While Surveying the Ubliea system, we have encountered an alien craft, transmitted identification reads as the Sinrath vessel SISS Evanion. The ship has not made any hostile maneuvers and appears to be attempting to survey this system as well, we can only assume their intentions match ours: to place a claim on this sector.

Jonnara was just finishing up her dessert worms, when she got a knock on her ready room door. "Come in."
Her second in command, Chief engineer Bagrun stepped in. "Captain, the Sinrath vessel we have been repeatedly hailing has responded, they are asking to speak to you."

As she stepped onto the bridge, the screen showed a large, ugly creature with tusks and a dour expression. "This is Captain Vanthrag of the SISS Evanion, why do you pester us captain?" he asked irritably.

"If the purpose in your survey is to claim this sector, I am afraid you are too late. Our sensors indicate you have just arrived in this sector. We are half done and we have a construction vessel already on the way."

The screen cut out. "The other ship has terminated communication, they are continuing to survey the system" explained chief science officer Vargon.

"Never mind them" the captain replied, "they will realize the futility of their mission soon enough. Helmsman: abandon our biological study on this planet and set course for this system's star. We can come back to this later, but it is our hides if the Sinrath place a starbase here first."

"Aye aye, captain" came the response.

Captain's log supplemental: The survey of the Ubliea system is nearly complete. After the placement of the base, the Sinrath vessel left without a word. The system is secure.
Vanthrag and Jonnara.png

Author's notes: First, I want to mention that when working on a Stellaris AAR, I highly recommend playing some B5 themes in the background to get that excitement going, works wonders!

Second, pictures and character encounters will be written later, as I have spent a lot of time on the computer the last few days and my family deserves some attention. Likely within the week this post will be edited to include them.

Finally, on the last story I regret that it isn't as interesting as it could be if science ships were armed in this game (or I suppose if I was a bit more creative). Feedback on how I might improve future science encounters would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Glyrran gift.png
    Glyrran gift.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 112
  • Commercial pact.png
    Commercial pact.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 100
  • Erissu VS Cynn.png
    Erissu VS Cynn.png
    1 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I can quite imagine B5 being appropriate writing music :D