Character finder: Marital status => Add "single" (unmarried & unbethrothed)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Peter Ebbesen

the Conqueror
61 Badges
Mar 3, 2001
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
Currently the character finder's filter allows you to toggle between all, married, and unmarried.

But when you are using it to find characters to marry with certain characteristics, which is probably the most common use of the character finder CK3 eugenics being what it is, you are not looking for people who are merely unmarried, you are looking for people who are neither married nor bethrothed already and are thus fair game, meaning that even when you select unmarried you'll get a lot of entries to manually sort out based on doing a mouse over of their icons and seeing that they are bethrothed.

So please add unmarried & unbethrothed as a filter option for marriage - I promise you that it'll become the most used marriage filter option. IF that's too long an optionname to fit neatly in the box, and it is, just call the option fair game or single instead. :D

EDIT: As @x4077 points out in the next post, there is a separate usecase for "Can Marry" in polygamous societies, which as I point out in the post after that is NOT necessarily the same usecase as "unmarried and unbethrothed" in polygamous societies, so that would make a useful option too.

EDIT: I wonder how many people would even use the "unmarried" filter option for anything if there was a "single" option? How often would people be interested in finding all characters who were unmarried but might or might not be bethrothed compared to how often they would look for characters who are single and hence available for marriage with no spousal ties. Wouldn't you only be interested in that in order to find people who were bethrothed, possibly with an eye to breaking bethrothals? Frankly, I think that IF a "single" option existed, it would be best to either remove "Unmarried" or to replace it with "Bethrothed",

Proposed Marriage status options:
All
Married
Bethrothed
Single (unmarried & unbethrothed)
(Optionally: Can Marry - for polygamous only; includes all of the Single hits for polygamous and some of the Married one as well)

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Once again someone brings this up and only considers monogamous relationships. The option needs to be 'Can Marry', as in this person can take another spouse. Even if you are married if you are polygamous you can still marry others until you hit the spouse limit, and therefore should show up when looking for people that can be married, just like monogamous people that are unmarried and unbetrothed.

Reactions:
Once again someone brings this up and only considers monogamous relationships. The option needs to be 'Can Marry', as in this person can take another spouse. Even if you are married if you are polygamous you can still marry others until you hit the spouse limit, and therefore should show up when looking for people that can be married, just like monogamous people that are unmarried and unbetrothed.
The option most certainly should not be "Can Marry" to be of use in most of the cases where I use the character finder for polygamous marriages. My most common use of the finder for polygamous societies is exactly the same as for monogamous, finding people (with certain traits) who are neither married nor betrothed and can be married into my dynasty in a way (standard or matrilineally) that moves the couple into my court and have resulting issue be of my house. In polygamous realms, somebody who is already married has ties that bind.

What you are arguing for with "Can Marry" is a different usecase, and one I obviously have nothing against; It just can't substitute for what I am asking for and would be decidedly worse for the purpose I have for polygamy, which caused me to make the suggestion, while presumably it would be better for your usecase.

I will add it to my first post, though. If Paradox is kind enough to make the character finder more useful, there's absolutely no reason not to ask them to include these two common usecases.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The option most certainly should not be "Can Marry" to be of use in most of the cases where I use the character finder for polygamous marriages. My most common use of the finder for polygamous societies is exactly the same as for monogamous, finding people (with certain traits) who are neither married nor betrothed and can be married into my dynasty in a way (standard or matrilineally) that moves the couple into my court and have resulting issue be of my house. In polygamous realms, somebody who is already married has ties that bind.
First off, in order for someone to be already married and still be able to be married again under polygamy, they must be a ruler, thus to solve your scenario you would just select 'Not ruler'. That would prevent having to add a further option to the dropdown to satisfy your use case.

Also, if PDX would actually get off their butts and incorporate some of the better QoL mod ideas into the mainline code, they would probably have put in the excellent mod that puts a colored box around rulers in the character finder based on the rank of their title, so you wouldn't even need to select the 'not ruler' option, you could see it immediately in the panel itself. Something like the image below. Ignore the diplomacy scores, I modified them to get the sort order on the people I wanted correct.

1617399537957.png

Reactions:
First off, in order for someone to be already married and still be able to be married again under polygamy, they must be a ruler, thus to solve your scenario you would just select 'Not ruler'. That would prevent having to add a further option to the dropdown to satisfy your use case.

Also, if PDX would actually get off their butts and incorporate some of the better QoL mod ideas into the mainline code, they would probably have put in the excellent mod that puts a colored box around rulers in the character finder based on the rank of their title, so you wouldn't even need to select the 'not ruler' option, you could see it immediately in the panel itself. Something like the image below. Ignore the diplomacy scores, I modified them to get the sort order on the people I wanted correct.

View attachment 700328
Since we're reviving this thread, I just want to say this is an awesome idea and something I miss greatly from CK2. Being able to tell a person's rank at a glance is something we really need.