• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nah, too many ostentatious titles. Must be you.

I or Swuul might have come up with some of them, but I don't think anyone else could have done it so consistently.
I must agree. I think you could have come up with some of them too. In fact, if I had chosen to throw a third name in as a possible partner-in-crime, you would have been the obvious choice. But I didn't, so you weren't, and hence you are above suspicion.

Enjoying all the critiquing and misdirection so far. Any more for any more this pre-Christmas weekend?

Will be soon

• 1Like
Reactions:
Entry 5 A raid on Roman Veii

A fine piece that mixes mythology, alternate history and tomb raiding. The premise is quite interesting, mixing a criminally underexplored period (the Punic Wars) in ancient history with a fascinating mythological background.

Margo is an interesting protagonist, that comes across as an educated, slightly aloof man who is nonetheless caught unprepared by the events he sets in motion. The description is very vivid and detailed, and a true delight to read.

However, there are a few blind spots in this story. The first that comes to mind is that, although the description is flawless, both the action and the dialogue can at times be somewhat clunky. For example:

He stepped closer to the column closest to him and discovered that it contained sculpted heads. He spotted heads that looked human, but a few depicted more mythological beings. He spotted the snake-covered heads of gorgons and heads with crazed and intense eyes - the heads of maenads. He moved toward the maenad heads and looked around them. If the devotees of Dionysius had once been honored here, perhaps he could find the wine that he so longed for… Sadly, his search failed to yield results.

In this one, the repetition of phrases beginning with He becomes slightly tiresome to read, which distracts from the enthralling depiction of the contents of the temple. I'd suggest alternating the "He" with his first name, and using sometimes other forms of the verbs. Like instead of the "He moved", "Upon moving"/"On moving" could be used.

For a brief moment, he wondered if this scroll also had information that could be useful to Hannibal Barca’s war effort, and so he began to look at it.

This here also comes across a bit strange. The "for a brief moment" at the top doesn't make much sense to me.

As for more narrative inclined issues: The end, both the dialogue with the supernatural presence and the dialogue with Hannibal, seem very rushed and don't properly convey the sense of awe and power and dread that should emanate from both the conqueror and the divine presence. It feels like the beginning of an AAR and not quite a self contained story.

That said, let the volume of criticism not fool you. I did enjoy the story very much, especially the rich descriptions, and if this is the beginning of an AAR, I'll gladly read it!

I'd suggest @HistoryDude is the author, since I know he's quite good at descriptions and an enthusiastic adept of the roman era.

Happy new year, GtAers! I’m sure there are more bits of pieces of critique and guesswork to come, so I’ll keep discussion open for the foreseeable future. Do keep your comments coming!

So, I finally found time to begin writing critiques. With a bit of luck the first should be ready by Tuesday.

...of course, my track record where such GTA predictions are concerned is awful unimpressive, so let's see how it goes. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you @Peter Ebbesen for reminding me to look at these works. I admit I lost sight of them and now promise to critique as best as I can. Fairly, as always.

#1:

I really like this one. There are a lot of characters, but they are mostly well sketched and the intent of the prompt is adhered to. There are fantastical elements but it does not overwhelm. One could expand on this, but for a one off it does the job.

#2:

A poem. I have to say, these are not my favorite. And this one is short. That said, it was a lovely bit of prose. I'm just not certain it hit the prompt. A terrible tragedy, surely. But I don't see the secret archive revealed.

#3:

This one is short form when it could have used some longer set up. That said, I quite like Croft. It crams a lot into a little (that is the project.) He stands out even if the entire affair is quite a lot and I'm still not certain what was found. Documents. I got that. But the ending seems rushed. It starts with alacrity and then ends maybe too quickly.

#4:

This one is well written, but it keeps going back to Shara's disappointment. I see her as a character, but I'm not sure any of the actors are well sketched. This entry reads as a long time member, maybe. I've not guessed yet (and won't on this) but it is likely someone that has been around awhile. It hits the prompt, to be sure. Maybe too easily.

#5:

Straight forward and well done! This one hits all of the bits and adheres to the prompt. I think there is more that could be told and expand to a longer story, but for a short story/entry this one does it well.

#6:

This one is Peter. And it is very funny. My only real guess and I love to read them. Especially "the plan." You can't go wrong with "a plan." Well done.

I have to say that I didn't love this prompt. It seems to me "too easy" and without complication. No one went full Indiana Jones (thankfully) but none of the entries really hit the mark as something unique (to my mind.) That said, thank you for writing them and all hail GtA! Always a fun project! :)

I have to say that I didn't love this prompt. It seems to me "too easy" and without complication. No one went full Indiana Jones (thankfully) but none of the entries really hit the mark as something unique (to my mind.)
I hereby invoke by-law 116(b), subsection D4(c), paragraph 1,966.2 of the GtA statutes and declare that whoever shall be less than pleased with the calibre of the prompt shall be charged with formulating the prompt for the subsequent round. :p

(;))

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I hereby invoke by-law 116(b), subsection D4(c), paragraph 1,966.2 of the GtA statutes and declare that whoever shall be less than pleased with the calibre of the prompt shall be charged with formulating the prompt for the subsequent round. :p

(;))
coz1 flips through pages and pages of AARland bylaws and finally gives nod...

That is fair. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
by-law 116(b), subsection D4(c), paragraph 1,966.2 of the GtA statutes

Good grief, learn to cite.

P.1965.2, S.D4.c., BL116.b GTA Statutes 2004.

They invoke correctly, however the host has since changed several times and article 7 GTA 2004 has never been invoked, therefore calling the legitimacy of the entire project into question as an inheritor of the responsibilities of the originator document.

The options at this point are to ignore the letter of the law and act as though the statutes continue to be in effect, in essence declaring this a common law issue, dismissing the invocation as invalid, dismissing the invocation as invalid, applying article 7 with a 2/3rds majority and then reapplying the invocation, or dismantling the entire GTA and starting again from scratch. Or indeed, not at all, I suppose.

Good grief, learn to cite.

P.1965.2, S.D4.c., BL116.b GTA Statutes 2004.

They invoke correctly, however the host has since changed several times and article 7 GTA 2004 has never been invoked, therefore calling the legitimacy of the entire project into question as an inheritor of the responsibilities of the originator document.

The options at this point are to ignore the letter of the law and act as though the statutes continue to be in effect, in essence declaring this a common law issue, dismissing the invocation as invalid, dismissing the invocation as invalid, applying article 7 with a 2/3rds majority and then reapplying the invocation, or dismantling the entire GTA and starting again from scratch. Or indeed, not at all, I suppose.
This forum being Swedish, Common Law would seem a less usual source of jurisprudence.

This forum being Swedish, Common Law would seem a less usual source of jurisprudence.
However the forum is run by Paradox. Inadequate (or absent) research leading to a odd and historically dubious choice being made is entirely on brand.

• 1Like
Reactions:
However the forum is run by Paradox. Inadequate (or absent) research leading to a odd and historically dubious choice being made is entirely on brand.

And much like everything else, the anglosphere dominates. We pay we say

#1: The Most Impossible Raid on a Secret Archive

A warning up front. The following is going to be more harsh than the writer probably deserves.

I like what the story attempts and find much of it well written, but at the same time there are so many small things that detract from the whole for me, things I consider unforced errors that possibly only a nitpicker like me might find annoying.

They aren't problems of language, but of logic, and it is entirely likely that most readers wouldn't notice them, and frankly some of them only occur to me because once I start getting the feeling that something isn't right I start paying more attention to logic than is common.

Some of them would not be problems at all, were there a line or two making things more explicit, since they could be examples of this reader simply making the wrong guess based on what is written rather than author error.

So what do I mean by that. Let me walk you through the first paragraphs.

The mausoleum stood alone in the desert. The old structure, made from stone, was so weathered that it blended into the surroundings, barely discernable from the neighboring piles of rock and dirt. Facing west, a single round arch marked the entrance. The words etched into the stone archway proclaimed a threat: Whosoever disturbs my tomb shall face a greater and more terrible foe than myself.

A group of four people stood back to back, looking at their grim surroundings and keeping the Mausoleum at a safe distance. The foursome shivered. Even though the sun was high in the sky, this place was cold, very cold. The group was on edge, waiting.

“You answered my summons. Excellent.”

The voice seemed to come from nowhere. The four companions reacted without hesitation. They turned in place and took aim. Wands, staffs, enchanted gauntlets, and other magical weapons pointed into the dark shadows extending away from the mausoleum.

One member of the group took a step forward, projecting her voice into the shadows:

“You lied to us. You sent Oighear to his death!”

The woman aimed her dowsing rod at the mausoleum, then back toward the darkness in front of her. As if scurrying away from a deadly predator, the shadows retreated, flooding the space with cold daylight. A man stepped out of the stone wall, keeping his Feldspar wand aimed at the ground. The other three people stood behind the woman, aiming their wands threateningly at the newcomer.

“Uisce, I am no traitor.” He said. “You know that better than everyone else. Have I ever done anything to harm you? Or the Cause? When have I failed to raise my hand against the enemy?”

Uisce did a double-take, casting her gaze at the nearby mausoleum before looking back at the fifth man.

We've got a timeworn mausoleum. A desert that is cold during daytime, the Sun clearly failing to live up to its obligations, or, perhaps, doing its level best in competition with a refrigerated tomb. (Eldritch Cold(tm))

We've got dark shadows extending from the tomb (presumably the light shadows were otherwise occupied), four people standing back to back a safe distance from the tomb turn to face those shadows, and then turn to face somebody within those shadows, while somehow simulaneously not facing the tomb, since pointing a dousing rod at this somebody and pointing at the tomb is a different direction.

Which would be understandable if they were close to the tomb and the sunlight came from the side, and the mysterious speaker in the darkness was at a considerable distance off to the side, perhaps, but presents a slightly annoying scenario of positioning.

Since the person stepped out of a stone wall, the only stone wall in the vicinity being the tomb's, and is standing in front of them.

Which interestingly enough means that these people were both a) standing at a safe distanct of the tomb to being with, and b) close enough to have a conversation in a normal tone of voice with somebody walking out of it, without having moved closer to the tomb, or facing it. Except when they did.

But forget about that.

The reader can be forgiven for being distracted from the gripping narrative to ask exactly four people were standing back to back, yet all four of them had to turn to face the shadow. Were they standing in a huddle facing outwards in four directions, with at least one person facing approximately the right direction to see the tomb and thus alerting the others when the shadows extended from the tomb, then doing a minor shuffle while the other turned?

Or were they standing in two pairs, the pairs being back to back and thus facing mainlyy two directions but having close to 360 degree coverage taking peripheral vision into account, and had perhaps to perform up to a 90 degrees turn for one pair, up to (180-first_pair degree) for the other?

Frankly, it doesn't matter. A a reader I cannot help to wonder why they would be standing back to back as they also stand safely back from the tomb in the first place, unless they were expecting an attack from any direction at any time, but there is nothing in the story to support this, so why were they standing back to back? And why am I wasting time wondering about this seemingly minor issue distracts from what is perhaps the greatest mystery of the early parts of the story, namely:

How many arms do these people have?

It is a reasonable question. Between them, the mysterious foursome are pointing at least 3 wands, 2 staffs, 2 enchanted gauntlets, and 2 other magical weapons, one of which may be dousing rod, or perhaps the dousing rod is separate from the weapons and carried in another hand. And we know that the three of them who are not Uisce have (at least) a wand each.

Now, granted, it is hard pointing a weapon at somebody without also pointing your gauntlets at that person, so for all I know the author's intention to convey that that one of them wields a wand for zapping while wearing two enchanted gauntlets providing automatic fire support, while two are wielding a staff and a wand each, and the fourth, Uisce, is wielding the dousing rod and some other magic weapon. Or some other combination that explains their at least 9 weapons, of which they are capable of pointing at least 8 at once.

Then, once they've identified the man, Uisce aims the dousing rod at him, while the other three only aim their wands?

So given that this story is clearly akin to magical action movies with people loaded for bear, probably equipping themselves in an slow-motion arming montage in a previous scene, why aren't they pointing with those other weapons any longer, now that they actually have a target? Are they afraid of overkill?

THIS IS WHERE I STOP BEING SARCASTIC.

Dear author. You didn't deserve this, and I apologize. But there are so many small issues here, that you would undoubtedly have caught in a revision.

If you want to communicate that people are facing a common threat from one direction, have them stand shoulder to shoulder to signal solidarity if it isn't impractical.

If they are facing possible imminent threat from any direction, uncertain of when and where it'll materialize, have them stand back to back to signal how they are trying to limit their extreme vulnerability. This is usually most practical for two people, as the logisitics get complicated the more people are involved.

But if you've been careful to place them at a safe distance from whatever threat is nearby, and don't communicate other threats, it is going to feel a bit strange for many readers.

And if you make a point of people having many and varied weapons, don't forget about these weapons when the people get down to business.

The shadows direction, extent, and location of the people conversing... I expect it is only extreme nitpickers like me, who would see as a problem, though.

But enough about those opening lines, let's get down to business with Uisce's magic.

Uisce knelt in front of the others and stabbed the sandy ground with her dowsing rod. With a great rushing noise, towering figures made of muddy brown water emerged from the desert floor. The water pillars shaped themselves to look like people, and once they took form, the apparitions commenced a re-enactment of the events that took place three days ago:
This is good. I would have preferred something a little different, emphasizing how the water rises in pillars that gradually transform, rather than telling that they rise as figures (so already looking like people?), then the pillars transform to look like people, as I think that flows better. Let me try to show what I mean.

Uisce knelt in front of the others and stabbed the sandy ground with her dowsing rod. Muddy brown water began flowing from the ground in front of her, first in a trickle, then in a rush, and with a great gushing noise the nascent river split and erupted from the desert floor in several pillars. Then Uisce spoke softly, beseeching the desert to give up its secrets, and the pillars towering above her flowed into the forms of humans as they commenced a re-enactment of the events three days past.

Or something like that.

Now, the next part is hard to criticize, as I like the water elemental reenacment scene, but it has a few problems...
A man named Oighear approached the mausoleum with a party of magical warriors behind him. They drew their wands and prepared to storm the foreboding structure. Oighear turned to his companions and said: “Remember Cloch’s orders. Touch nothing except the Holy Relic. We must remain undetected. Now follow me.”

Oighear led his companions through the archway and into the mausoleum. There was a series of loud noises, and a few moments later, a different group of people appeared. A party of men emerged from the mausoleum, dragging the corpses of Oighear and his companions behind them. The bodies were thrown in a heap, and one of the strange men pointed his wand at the dead, who erupted into flames. He said: “Let this be a lesson to Cloch and his ilk. This war is over now, and I will tolerate no further resistance.

Where did its auditory component come from? The listeners hear not only the conversation that took place three days ago, and perhaps the water elementals could replicate that, but the listeners also hear loud noises from the tomb in the vision... Are we to assume that the water elementals went into the tomb and began banging on the walls, or something?

And while I am at it, how did the water elementals recreate the scene with some of them playing dead and erupting in flames? I applaud their acting skill even as I wonder just how they managed to carry it off convincingly.

Now, on to my next nitpick.
“Uisce, You will enter the mausoleum. Bring me whatever you find in the crypt. Your companions will stand outside with me to guard your escape.”

She turned back to look at her companions.

“I do not like this any more than you, but I will not go against Oighear.” Talamh said.

She bade goodbye to her companions and stepped underneath the arch. In moments, the sunlight was behind and entered Uisce the mausoleum.
Something has gone wrong with that final statement. Probably the intention was something along the lines of In moments the sunlight was behind her, and Uisce entered the mausoleum. Or better yet, In moments Uisce entered the mausoleum, leaving the sunlight behind.

But that nitpick apart, a greater wonder is revealed in the preceding statement:
  • Uisce and her group started out standing a safe distance from the tomb
  • They have not moved from that spot prior to this
  • The arch marks the western entrance to the tomb
  • The actual entrance, as it only takes moments from passing underneath it before you are in the tomb
  • So it is definitely not a case of, “pass beneath the arch on the path leading to the western entrance to the tomb quite some way-away
  • Uisce steps underneath the arch from where they are standing around
This raises serious questions as to exactly what was considered to be a “safe distance” in the first place. They are practically touching it!

---

Okay, about that tomb exploration... I have nothing to complain about. Honestly, I don't.

---

Finding Nathan from Brooklyn, and the ending, however, I do. Simply put, I don't understand what the author is hinting at, or aiming for, or how, exactly, it relates to the Whosoever disturbs my tomb shall face a greater and more terrible foe than myself warning.

Now, as somebody guilty of writing open-ended GTA entries or entries with very strange endings on more than one occasion (this gem from 2006 probably taking the prize for the weirdest), the following should rightly be considered the kettle calling the pot black, but even so...

What was Cloch up to?
What's the deal with Nathan?
What happened to the people Uisce meets afer leaving the tomb? Are they even the same people she left, or is something else going on?
Why should I care?
Why do I feel that the story neither provides any sense of closure, nor leaves me with an interesting mystery, but mainly confusion?
Was the mausoleum an archive, and the holy relic a record of some sort?
If not, why were they seeking a holy relic in a mausoleum, when the topic was raiding a secret archive?

GUESS THE AUTHOR: For no better reason than that I quite like what is attempted in this fantasy entry, and find much of it well written, yet the actual execution annoys me due to performing what I consider mostly small missteps, I guess @Avernite, since that has also been the case for some of his previous attempts at fantasy.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Okay, I'll confess to being a bad critic. I tried, but found it difficult to put those feelings into words.

But I will throw in my own attempts to guess, just for the hell of it:
  • Entry 1: Like @Peter Ebbesen said, the small details issue makes this a choppy read. That said, I think we're dealing with an AoW4 writer, most likely @starkwolf
  • Entry 2: It's unique, it stands out. Also, it's freakin' poetry! This has got to be @Chilango2
  • Entry 3: Lots of moving parts and attention to detail here. I think this is @HistoryDude pretending to be @El Pip
  • Entry 4: The overall length of the post, plus the spelling of certain words makes me think this one is @CBR JGWRR
  • Entry 5: I really wanted to guess @HistoryDude here, but I think that's wrong. I'm putting my money on @coz1 to be the author here. There's something... professional about the way this one was written.
  • Entry 6: As soon as I got to the 15-point heist plan, my heart was set on this one being @TheButterflyComposer

On Entry #2... sure, it's poetry. I seem to remember @Peter Ebbesen doing a poetic AAR that he pinned on @DensleyBlair that was helped by a hint about "being a cryptogram". Maybe he's trying that again? Are there hidden messages in the poem?

I also still have a poetic AAR, even if it's on temporary hiatus, although I didn't write this poem.

I'll get formal reviews of the six entries out later this week.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It has been a minute. Are we going to get any more reviews or guesses? Or a reveal? ;)

I'll have a few reviews out soon. I wanted to do it last week, but RL interfered. I'm fine with reveals if I can't get my reviews done this week...

@Peter Ebbesen might also more reviews too. I'm not sure.

If people have any more reviews, get them up this week and I’ll aim to reveal Sunday night.