• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I see you're continuing the trend of recreating historical events just slightly different :p . In our timeline King Athelstan forged an alliance with the newly crowned Otto the Great, and every once in a while the English would go on to assist the HRE militarily. Good stuff.
The stranger part is that this was completely unintentional! It appears that history likes to repeat itself. :)

The Holy Roman alliance should prove useful in time... assuming the Empire survives very long.
Aye, a civil war not even a decade into its existence... Troublesome.

Last edited:
Reactions:
However, an outsider’s perspective wouldn’t realise the disjointed and confederal nature of the Holy Roman juggernaut. In fact, the Holy Roman Empire acted less like an empire and more like a confederal elective monarchy – which prince-electors would decide who would be the next ‘Emperor of the Romans’.
This is the HRE at the very peak of it's accuracy when it's name was up to 33% correct if you were very generous. Who knows, perhaps this time around the name might become more accurate with time and not less?
Unknowingly, Henry had drawn his realm into yet another conflict - one which would last a shocking eight years.​
He's got to stop doing this.
John of Warwick had backed the larger contingent of his army into a corner at Dithmarschen, their backs facing the sea. What followed was a massacre, with the entirety of Bragi’s army slaughtered.
In his speech John thanked his men, the Lord and Paradox's utter hatred of boats for making his victory possible.
England found herself an ally who was indebted to Henry and John for their unwavering support.
Let us hope this ally is reliable and not of the "Always there when they need you" variety.

• 2Like
Reactions:
An Unfaithful Ally (1054 – 1058)
An Unfaithful Ally (1054 – 1058)

wquhUQIBJ_R3_nfSA-x2YJ7ZO7H395v54EafhNzmBnPQhb2G-Bc_vVJwpeC9unLhNQHv0Wn24WDJEcAxch_DCkDAuN7Bj5fWW0FWBL9V0_303zM2X61VVTOE07_9Z0RKdy69gu5aHYjqF6QiuhKl9HGMXwI3g0f9BY3MiwzuVU2u9R-6drUMWoWTyw

The Barons’ Revolt of 1046 within the empire gave rise to a blossoming relationship between the Kaiser and King of England. As the two recovered from decades of unwavering conflict, both garnered a mutual respect for one another. The young Kaiser felt indebted to Henry for unwittingly saving his realm and birthright from the lower nobility that sought to usurp him. Henry and Liutbert’s alliance was reciprocal – Henry would aid the Holy Roman Empire in any ensuing conflicts threatening the Kaiser’s realm, and the empire would protect Henry’s french holdings in Normandy from the Frankish to his west.

A period of recovery for the two realms occurred between 1054 and 1055, with the decline of Norse domination of the North Sea providing excellent waters for trade on the eastern coast of England. From this prosperity, the Norman and Saxon cultures of England slowly began to come together as further distinct people – as the efforts of the Anglo-Normans to assimilate into Saxon culture began to bear fruit. Among the lower nobility and peasantry, the Anglo-Norman language began to emerge and adapt as the earliest form of the modern English language, as Old Norman French and Old English began to merge. However, the Norman shire-reeves and counts which oversaw England seldom used the new language, preferring to speak French over the new emerging Anglo-Norman tongue.

UGBnxJxReSqfZSVSZy0-YjtKfWtIeoc9jOhKHsMsCLgUDjeO0EWO9RE-L_VImGU7y5aiZYPuqcxZe6K858-2792XeQ_UHX6qPoK5FBq4R0yYmE90FjeiookjJJGbR7v4c6PZpeQHsW1fsFbVlp4z7MC9Zx7Gs-0tGqccractkThAZgvXElgfGtJh0w

Continuing the tradition of continental cultures, the Normans further constructed towering castles in northern England and Meath to cement their supremacy and control of the unruly regions. The year of growing trade and commerce within the English Kingdom maintained their supremacy over the isles, eclipsing Scotland in terms of economic and military power, despite King Haukur’s acquisition of Ireland in 1042.

Haukur’s control of the Celtic nobility throughout Britain was slowly waning. His popularity from the victory of the Second Leinster Campaign slowly wore off – with many able to see his inexperience in the development and feudalisation of Scotland in the 11th century. Religious divide was tearing Haukur’s realm apart, with the Insular Irish and Norse Highlanders hostile to each other on the basis of religion. The King needed his realm to unify for a common cause – the threat of England.

Evoking a sense of retribution among the Irish and Scottish nobility through his careful tip-toeing of Scottish politics, Haukur was widely supported by the royal court in St. Johnstoun to ignite a dispute with England regarding the territory of the Shire of Northumberland, citing a claim to it through his lineage to the King of York. Henry had denied any chance at negotiation, refusing to discuss disputes with northern heathens. By the tail-end of 1055, King Haukur moved his armies south of the river tweed to invade the Kingdom of England. Away from the safety of the undeveloped highlands, John of Warwick’s armies swiftly bested his opponent outside of Newcastle. Calling upon the assistance of the Holy Roman Emperor, Kaiser Liutbert’s attention was focused on the eastern pagans in Poland and Great Moravia. Once more alone in their battles against their heathen rival, Henry decidedly lead a campaign of conquest into the Scottish hinterland, able to defeat his enemies with ease – at the cost of precious supply.

1056 saw a deeply malnourished and demoralised English army marching into St. Johnstoun, sacking the city for the first time in June – which would not offset the starved nature of the English army in Summer. Scotland’s lands were simply too poor for large armies to march across its countryside. That same month, John of Warwick’s health was rapidly declining – largely due to complications related to old age and gigantism. During the siege of Dumbarton, John of Warwick would pass away at the age of 63, leaving a significant brain drain within the English military command.

GBRFKe3Rz3zLtIL9Dn540vU8A1uSaob-dNljaxsB1rNNj09YA-cZSw4Y5YhdvhUnJdrwUuKG6WlVxfBGimhgaMwUI0Dgp985JCVqbsr6Fs6FBZiIfofDy1vEhT8NRPLuYFu0HcyHIAhs22Ms2G9zVDefPQx_uRuW6xerb7Q2658jPJqJcRuRfsC9SA

Further losses at Longford at the hands of King Haukur’s esteemed commander, Conall lead to Scottish supremacy of Ireland. In the ensuing months, Henry lost what he had conquered a few months prior, and retreated to the developed English border for a much-needed resupply. From 1056 to 57, what occurred could be described as a stalemate, with only minor Scottish advances into Anglesey, Wales. Once resupplied, Henry landed in Ireland with a force of twenty-nine thousand men, eclipsing the Scottish armies in the region twofold. Expecting an easy victory, Haukur and his commander Fuacarta the Impaler once more convene to crush the English advance. Now prepared, Henry moves into Longford, besting both Haukur and Fuacarta’s armies in one fell swoop. The lack of communication allowed Henry to slowly pick apart any Scottish attempt to reinforce Fuacarta’s armies, leading to a stunning victory. Losing close to seven-thousand compared to Henry’s two-thousand and fifty, Haukur was unable to levy further men for his cause.

By November, the King of Scots’ crippling loss at Longford forced him to concede territory in both Ireland and Great Britain to Henry, with Wexford, Carlow and Kildare handed over to England. What followed was a complete collapse of Scottish dominion over Ireland, with the distrust of Haukur and his loss of eastern Ireland to the Norman invader. As quickly as Haukur had convinced Fingen II to hand Ireland to him, it was lost – further diminishing Scottish influence and power throughout the British Isles.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is the HRE at the very peak of it's accuracy when it's name was up to 33% correct if you were very generous. Who knows, perhaps this time around the name might become more accurate with time and not less?
He's got to stop doing this.
In his speech John thanked his men, the Lord and Paradox's utter hatred of boats for making his victory possible.
Let us hope this ally is reliable and not of the "Always there when they need you" variety.
The Holy Roman Empire was a mess at this time, especially when Liutbert wasn't even in the double digits.

Aye, paradox's hatred of boats definitely helped in the battles victory!

The HRE is as unstable as ever, I certainly didn't expect any help from them, that's for sure! :p

On a quick sidenote for all, I have converted the final stretch of my save to EUIV, but that was before the new Lions of the North DLC – so I'll see what I can do to convert it again if I can't start up a game with the converted save. Oh and, sorry for the long wait! Wasn't very motivated to continue, but I found motivation once more to continue to this evolving story!

Last edited:
Reactions:
The English have turned a corner with Scotland it seems. They didn't need to take Ireland themsevles, they just needed to keep Scotland out. With a higher population, larger economy and better farmland, both England and Ireland can compete with Scotland, but Scotland would struggle against either without a significant amount of another part of the islands.

I suspect the road is now open for England to continue to dominate and eventually annex the entire set of islands. Only problem is if they get distracted with less important continental affairs instead.

Good relations with the HRE are good. However, can also lead to the strange 'you have a claim from 209 years ago' which leads to England being absorbed into the empire...albeit ostensibly as its head.

It's a very cunning way of expanding the empire easily enough, giving a neighbour power for the length of one man's rule and then reverting back to the german electors with a shiny new region...alas, Ireland was not one for being absorbed.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's a shame that the HRE was distracted, but you won anyway. Congrats!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Effectively done!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Religious divide was tearing Haukur’s realm apart, with the Insular Irish and Norse Highlanders hostile to each other on the basis of religion.
I see Haukur has created an early Glasgow.
English army marching into St. Johnstoun, sacking the city for the first time in June
The first time is pleasingly ominous.
Expecting an easy victory, Haukur and his commander Fuacarta the Impaler once more convene to crush the English advance.
If your plan hinges on anyone called "The Impaler" then you should probably reconsider your plan.
What followed was a complete collapse of Scottish dominion over Ireland, with the distrust of Haukur and his loss of eastern Ireland to the Norman invader. As quickly as Haukur had convinced Fingen II to hand Ireland to him, it was lost
The Irish were probably also keen to have an overlord who's minions didn't keep impaling them.

As feared the HRE were of no help, yet victory was obtained so it's not all bad. Doubtless more campaigns to come in the British Isles, but there is probably a truce period to wait out. While he waits will King Henry return to the continent and capture some more of France, perhaps with a raised eyebrow to the Kaiser about his previous lack of involvement and how it would be good if he could bother to show up this time?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As feared the HRE were of no help

Don't even have the CK2 excuse of boats being required, and thus really hard and expensive to get a big army to the islands.

They just didn't bother.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Don't even have the CK2 excuse of boats being required, and thus really hard and expensive to get a big army to the islands.

They just didn't bother.
To be fair to poor Liutbert, they were in their own war with one of the Polish duchies, and had a pretty small army for an empire... regardless, it was a shame they couldn't join. I was quite afraid I'd lose once more to the Scottish! I believe why the Scottish had such an advantage in their home territory was because of the absolute stark contrast of supply between Northern England and the lowlands. As soon as I stepped my foot into Scotland, I just simply couldn't support any of my armies, and once split, they were susceptible to larger Scottish armies.
I see Haukur has created an early Glasgow.

The first time is pleasingly ominous.

If your plan hinges on anyone called "The Impaler" then you should probably reconsider your plan.

The Irish were probably also keen to have an overlord who's minions didn't keep impaling them.

As feared the HRE were of no help, yet victory was obtained so it's not all bad. Doubtless more campaigns to come in the British Isles, but there is probably a truce period to wait out. While he waits will King Henry return to the continent and capture some more of France, perhaps with a raised eyebrow to the Kaiser about his previous lack of involvement and how it would be good if he could bother to show up this time?
Fuacarta wasn't the most efficient commander, I will say...
Regardless of the AI's reasoning, hopefully England gets at least one ally in a future conflict o_O. Concerning matters with France, reading my notes tells me something might happen in the Kingdom of Aquitaine at some point in Henry/his successor's reign.

It's a shame that the HRE was distracted, but you won anyway. Congrats!
Effectively done!
Thank you! I always appreciate kind comments. :)

The English have turned a corner with Scotland it seems. They didn't need to take Ireland themsevles, they just needed to keep Scotland out. With a higher population, larger economy and better farmland, both England and Ireland can compete with Scotland, but Scotland would struggle against either without a significant amount of another part of the islands.

I suspect the road is now open for England to continue to dominate and eventually annex the entire set of islands. Only problem is if they get distracted with less important continental affairs instead.

Good relations with the HRE are good. However, can also lead to the strange 'you have a claim from 209 years ago' which leads to England being absorbed into the empire...albeit ostensibly as its head.

It's a very cunning way of expanding the empire easily enough, giving a neighbour power for the length of one man's rule and then reverting back to the german electors with a shiny new region...alas, Ireland was not one for being absorbed.
Ireland did have quite a hefty independence faction going for them, which fired right after the war ended (probably because their armies were smashed in Longford).
Scotland, unfortunately for them, will be in a period of constant decline from now on, and it is indeed a bit of an easy stroll through both Ireland and France without a formidable foe for Henry and his dynasty.
Aye, it's quite a smart way to expand. The amount of times I've seen that happen in my own games...

Reactions: