• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And did those words in ancient time
Appear upon Fandom’s pages blue:
And was the holy Fan of the Week,
On the forum’s pleasant pages seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded heads?
And was @filcat lauded here,
Among these dark Paradoxian Threads?

Bring me my Pen of burning gold:
Bring me my Keyboard of desire:
Bring me my Thread: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Weekly Fan!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my pen sleep in my hand:
Till we have given this Award,
To @filcat the Noble and Pleasant Fan.

congratulations @filcat , from both me and William Blake!

Last edited:
  • 6Love
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 3Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Many congratulations @filcat and all the many others I have missed since I last posted here.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
<background music: Prologue, from the soundtrack Dune by Toto (1984)>
1658593636030.jpeg

1658593549469.jpeg
1658593556870.jpeg
1658593565400.jpeg
1658593571957.jpeg
1658593580237.jpeg
1658593587684.jpeg
1658593595359.jpeg
1658593602375.jpeg
1658593612520.jpeg
1658593621446.jpeg
1658593740695.jpeg
[*]

Needless to say, the acceptance posts plus the nomination one; they will be many and... long.:DCheers!

[*] Adapted from the opening of Dune, d. David Lynch, a. Virginia Madsen (1984).
Title font is a close approximation of the one in the film, Albertus MT Standard.
The film is a fascinating example of how not to make a film, or how moronic production studios can hilariously fail by not making a film but trying frantically for a generic movie.
Only fragments of then young director can be traced out of the tens of barmy inputs by production. No amount of acting by Kyle MacLachlan, Francesca Annis, Sean Young, Jürgen Prochnow, José Ferrer, Max von Sydow, Brad Dourif, Siân Phillips, Patrick Stewart, Kenneth McMillan, Dean Stockwell is enough to save it, nor Sting (yeah, gordon is there). Even the soundtrack by Toto is almost absurd, except for one track, and that one is by Brian Eno.
Its bizarre charm is still powerful to this day, though.
Would have written about it by filling the entire post, but that is enough.

Onwards, to enjoying the celebrations:D

Last edited:
  • 8Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
@filcat : Well deserved congrats! Just letting you know because you received this award halfway the week I've chronicled you as having won on the 24th, giving you a whole 'nother week to prepare your nomination speech. We wouldn't want to risk having to read a subpar one because of time constraints now, would we? ;)

Well then, since Qorten approved the extension, onwards, to enjoying the celebrations:

Part I

This time, my choice is fairly easy because a lot of regular commentators have not yet won this year...and it just so happens that filcat is not only one of them, but last won almost exactly a year ago this week. So it seems only fitting to grant him the honour once again, and see what madness he unleashes when he points his comment ray at himself!
Many congratulations, filcat! Well done!
Well, the last one was on 28th December sorted as 26th for a tidy list, but does not matter, as it has been more than 6 months, good to go, therefore: Thank you for the most wondrous honour (filcatian-protocol-for-weekly-awaards), Fan of the Week; cheers mate!

Hang on; hang on a minute.
I agree. At least until Stnyaln returns to reclaim the throne.
Hmmm. At first gave it a laugh on the @nuclearslurpee's fan of the fan of the week of the week, then comes this above.

Apparently there has been some confusion on the matter. It has to be restated, so let it be known;

The name for the - chief, count, duke, king, emperor, imperator, caesar, kaiser, tsar, rex, re, rey, roi, raja, pharaoh, huangdi, mansa, shah, shahanshah, padishah, král, król, knyaz, basileus, negus, khan, khagan, sultan, tenno, tadodaho, tsenpo, and the list goes on a bit more, then lastly, god-emperor - of the fan-of-the-week; the fan, there is one, and forever the name is @stnylan.

End of Part I

Have said it would be many and long. Was not kidding. Lol.

Edit: Corrected grammatical, typographical mistakes.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Part II

<After hearing the news, coz1, Bibliophile, DensleyBlair, and Macavity116 arrive at the bAAR>

< @coz1, excited, speaks to TBC, then turns to filcat, then shouts at both>
1658830530204.jpeg
1658830537890.jpeg
1658830547757.jpeg

< @Bibliophile pulls a book from the shelves, finds a table, and sits at>
1658832264928.jpeg
< @DensleyBlair and filcat shake hands firmly before sitting>
1658830971709.jpeg
< @Macavity116 enthusiastically shouts>
1658831105239.jpeg
<filcat smiles>
1658831147576.jpeg

End of Part II

In order of appearance:
- Still-images of the character Akhileús from the film Troy (d. Wolfgang Petersen, 2004)
- Portrait of a man reading a book by Parmigianino (Girolamo Francesco Maria Mazzola, 1503-1540)
- Portrait of Aleksandr Pushkin by Vasily Andreevich Tropinin (Васи́лий Андре́евич Тропи́нин 1776-1857)
- Depiction of the character Mira in the Stormbreakers; originally The Assassin from XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (2017)
- Autoportrait as a mocker by Joseph Ducreux (1735-1802)

Edit: Corrected typographical, grammatical mistakes. Tidied-up the layout.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
And TBC cannot be visually portrayed or alluded to without angering the heavens.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Pushkin? Hmm. Better keep a look out for French cavalry officers…

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's a reasonable close physical approximation of physical similarity...no idea how much Coz paid the cat to have him appear as peak Brad Pitt.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Oh you are going with the pathways of the neuro-signals making the connections ending up in the visuals; all right, as you wish. But don't come and say aaww, don't spoil the bollocksmagic mate, after lifting the curtain.

no idea how much Coz paid the cat to have him appear as peak Brad Pitt.
It only took two words to spark it: Take it. Had it been said by a blobfish, then it would be that. Lol.

It's a reasonable close physical approximation of physical similarity...
Naaah, found the one close to it, but eventually opted for Pushkin rather than the obscure hussar. For the angle of perspective of victorian-era-romanticism-school, lol.
Some look at the other direction though, but that would not be a problem for the digital age of flipping the bits of the colours.

Edit: Added the forgotten line.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: