• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 17: Blood on the Ice (16 August 873 to 15 May 874)
Chapter 17: Blood on the Ice (16 August 873 to 15 May 874)

We resume the story with Rurik back in his seat of Nygarðr with the veterans of his remaining personal guard from January 867 [ie the original 676 event troops], contemplating whether to raid again or conquer for Rus, and if he should use much of his remaining prestige to call up a tribal army.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

16 August 873

As Gumarich der Schreiber noted in his commentaries, no-one had long to wait.

The Konungr called a military council of war the evening he returned to his holding. As was his habit, orders were issued then feasting and wenching followed. He started marching the next day.

The King did proclaim to his commanders and officers: “We march first to Ladoga with the Regiment. Once in position to keep an eye on the border, I will send a challenge of war to Karhu of Veps. He will surrender Zaozerye to my rightful claim, for Rus and the glory of House Rurikid. Whether he also wishes the ground to be drenched in the blood of his soldiers will be his choice!”

Our sovereign's words were met with the traditional cheer, followed by traditional tearing apart of food, the tossing of scraps and bones to the dogs around the table – including his faithful hound Hunter, traditional drinking to the point of unconsciousness, then often incapable attempts by the men to force themselves on the womenfolk. Who were of course used to such traditional behaviour and were for the most part well aware of how to welcome or avoid it.

qTV4Sr.jpg

Plenty for all. "Here, Hunter!"

We know from her diary that young Edla was too unwell to attend either the celebratory feast or the king’s chamber that night. Perhaps mercifully, the dusty records do not reveal whether Rurik spent that night alone or not. There is always a chance that Queen Ingjerðr may have returned around this time for one of her periodic visits home, but that is unclear from the chronicle.

September 873

The month began with the arrival of Rurik and his personal regiment [ie those remaining original event troops] in Ladoga and the issue of a declaration of war to his northern neighbour, the Finn Karhu of Veps. The simple goal is the conquest of Zaozerye, part of the Rus claim.

0puVro.jpg

The precaution of having the regiment in place was apposite: the enemy’s levies appeared instantly after the declaration. And of course, Rurik summoned his at the same time. For this small campaign, he simply planned to use his own demesne levies. The call for vassal levies and a possible tribal army would be contemplated later, if needed.

L3OoXi.jpg

Perhaps Ingjerðr did return for a visit a little while earlier … we shall never know [ie. I’m not going to keep contriving elaborate narrative twists to explain these long-distance conjugal goings-on any more ;)].

i1zuPs.jpg

With the Ladoga levy assembled, at reasonable levels and joined with the King’s Regiment, on 13 September Rurik orders a march on Zaozerye, where Karhu’s local commander Voitto immediately runs north to Romny. A wise move on his part.

SrJEXv.jpg

27 September brings the news that key commander Sverker and his wife Bodil have had a son, named Sörkver. It is hoped he will grow up to be a strong Norse warrior! By the next day, the enemy have vacated Zaozerye, while Rurik is still at least ten days away.

October 873

Dan arrives in Ladoga on 7 October with the main Nygarðr Regiment levy (774 troops) from the home county of Holmgarðr. He is ordered to march straight on to Zaozerye, a good central point from which to view the enemy’s next moves (if any), while reducing their holding there. Rurik arrives in Zaozerye with the main-guard on 11 October, to find the gates of the tribal holding closed up and the fort entrusted to one of Karhu’s underlings. The siege commences - at least the recent improvement in siege warfare will help speed things along a little. To the north in Romny, Karhu has consolidated his own levy – it numbers 898, enough to earn a measure of respect but not to cause much concern. Unlike the nasty surprise received in Pskov a little while back!

9xMolc.jpg

The Nygarðr Regiment arrives in Zaozerye on 31 October, while Voitto takes the Veps army south to Chud, through which Rurik expects them to try to outflank him by crossing the Volga into Belo Ozero. Rurik simply waits for now, while the last of his demesne levies join him in Zaozerye.

“So, they’re scurrying through the territory of our neighbour to attack the women and children of Belo Ozero, eh?” Rurik was heard to remark. “I will not forget that soon. It would be better to have that Chief being more subservient to our interests, I think!”

XjIuVZ.jpg

November 873

As another northern winter approaches, the Veps army arrives in Chud on 23 November and, as expected, moves to cross the Volga and attack Belo Ozero. With the need to cross the river, Rurik’s scouts estimate he can get there six days before the enemy, which would put them at the tactical disadvantage. Either Voitta accepts the battle or pulls back, either of which would suit Rurik at this point. He wanted to conclude the siege of Zaozerye before offering decisive battle to Karhu’s forces: deflecting them from home soil for now is the preferred outcome. Helgi is given command of a contingent large enough to stop the Veps attackers (one way or the other), while Rurik remains with a smaller force to continue the siege.

AD6Gng.jpg

Three days later, Voitto halts his attack and Helgi is likewise halted in Zaozerye, to once more assist with the siege.

December 873

In early December, a report is received from the Queen’s spy network (she continues her work in Constantinople for now). A new plot amongst the courtiers has been discovered. This adds to another reported earlier, about which nothing has been done as yet. Rurik is not sure whether he really needs to worry about these unless they concern someone of interest or value to him. Though perhaps he is missing something he should be paying attention to.

IZRaMF.jpg

Pk9mDo.jpg

At least it’s a variation on the stab in the back. And if the expression of the victim is anything to go by, it doesn’t even hurt – just a minor irritation! It actually looks like some kind of attempted headache cure by a medieval ‘chirurgeon’: “Here you go, Sire, just relax, this won't hurt a bit. You may feel just a bit of a tickling sensation in your scalp.” "Oh, I say, that seems to be working, I can't feel anything any more ..."

Ch17 Q1: Plots. OK, I’ve read a bit in other AARs about plots, where some seem to ignore most of them, others track them, some try (as ruler) to stop selected ones and some even seek to auto-stop pretty much every such minor plot. Any views on the merits of different approaches? Is it best to stop them on general principles (unless it’s a plot to get rid of someone who needs getting rid of, of course)? Perhaps on the basis of not depleting the court of possible talent? If you let them go at it, are there any adverse effects on the realm of such bloodletting in the margins? Conversely, are there benefits in running a tight ship and generally getting the courtiers to behave? Of course, a plot against a key character, family member, oneself, etc is an entirely different matter!

As the depth of winter sets in and the land is blanketed with snow and ice, hygiene in the siege camp leaves much to be desired. Over 180 troops die of disease – a sore loss indeed.

Zb0w7b.jpg

4X2OaZ.jpg

Death dances among the miserable besiegers at Zaozerye in the winter of 873-74.

At this time, Chancellor Hrörekr and Steward Alfgeir come up with a suggestion: as an unintended Christmas present for the depleted coffers and a mercy for a young prisoner who has been held since the Britannia raid, it seems young Tanetbiu now has a monetary value to her father back in Devon. The offer of ransom is made to them by an envoy on the day of their heathen Cristes Maesse (the day is more familiar to Rurik's people as the Roman Saturnalia festival) and accepted (with unbefitting ill-grace) on the first day of the new year – the 874th or their false 'Lord'.

VlDdOw.jpg

Even this early Anglo-Saxon word usage may be a bit anachronistic, as my hastily web-researched factoid claims it was first used some years later, even though the celebration itself predated this period by centuries:

"Christians have been celebrating Jesus' birth on December 25 since at least the early fourth century. The first evidence of its observance is in Rome in 336 CE. The earliest Christians do not appear to have commemorated the nativity of Christ, but only the baptism and resurrection of Christ and the deaths of the martyrs. But as early as 273, Western Christians had decided on December 25 to celebrate the birth of Jesus. The December date for the holiday probably arose from a desire to provide an alternative to the Roman "birthday of the unconquered sun" and the Persian birthday of Mithras, both of which were celebrated on or around the winter solstice. A Christian writer explained in 320:
'We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it'." http://www.religionfacts.com/Christmas

And:

"The word for Christmas in late Old English is Cristes Maesse, the Mass of Christ, first found in 1038, and Cristes-messe, in 1131." http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

But I'm going to use it anyway, as Rurik was in Britain a few years before and it is an interaction with a Saxon lord of Devon. And because this is my alternate time line and I say so! ;)

31 December finally brought the fall of the Zaozerye tribal holding [bringing the war score to a healthy 62%]. But more will be required to make Karhu submit. The siege ended up costing 185 soldiers due to disease and another 44 are detailed to garrison the holding. This prompts Karhu’s commander Voitto to again march on Belo Ozero, perhaps for revenge, or at least to take the fight to the Holmgarðians. This time, Rurik sits tight, allowing them to proceed: it now suits his purposes to offer open battle, in the hope of winning a victory in the field to show Karhu the futility of further resistance.

N3bvLF.jpg

January 874

Voitto’s modest army makes it to Belo Ozero on 24 January. Rurik issues new orders now the enemy is in place and ready for the taking:

Men, this is our chance to bloody our axes once again! I will personally sink Hálsbitr [‘Neckbiter’, his +2 battle-axe found during the raid on Devon a few years before] into as many Finnish necks as I can find. It will drink its full measure of blood!

We must brave the winter snows and fall upon our hapless enemy. They will regret setting foot on Holmgarðian soil – for the short time they will have left alive to contemplate their Chief’s folly in not ceding Zaozerye quickly to its rightful owner!

5cDW64.jpg

He continues in a lower voice, to his commanders.

Helgi, Sverker, you will command the wings. We will fall on Voitto with our full strength. It will be a punishing winter march, but we march through our own country. It will not be pleasant for the enemy as they try to reduce Vsemil’s keep. This is a chance to bring the end of the war a lot closer. Their blood will feed Vsemil’s next harvest after the spring melt!

February 874

The Battle of Belo Ozero began on 11 February with the usual opening exchange of archery. As the battle wore on, the centre saw the hardest fighting and took the heaviest casualties, Rurik coming up against the strongest enemy division. They returned to exchanges of archery while the two wings then closed on their opposites to melee. "They are close to breaking!”, shouted Rurik, covered in the blood of his enemies and laying about him with Hálsbitr. “Send messages to Helgi and Sverker – press now and we will have them!"

2VOwLk.jpg

Rurik, Hálsbitr in hand, exhorts his troops onward through the snows at the Battle of Belo Ozero.

Press forward they did and by 27 February the enemy were indeed broken and in full retreat.

dE97wq.jpg

March 874

Victory was marked on 6 March, with the enemy suffering heavy but not fatal casualties. The war was almost won, but still Karhu refused to give up. Very well, he would be forced to yield. Voitto flees back to Zaozerye and will be pursued, with Rurik hot on his heels.

N3B6rO.jpg

After arriving in Zaozerye, Voitto heads straight back to his starting point in Romny. Rurik gave chase, confident they will not have sufficient time to rally from their rout to make a defence there along the icy banks of the Volga. He is now just one day behind them.

74VzIP.jpg

April 874

“By Thor’s Mighty Member!” [Ed Note: we must be true to the original source. This was the polite translation! ;)] shouted Rurik in some frustration as he received yet another dismissive response from his adversary. “Will he not surrender yet? If I must burn every settlement in his dominion, I will have him bow his head.”

“My Konungr, his resolve is only holding on by a thread. If we keep pressing, he will give in.”

“Very well, Sverker, we have no other choice, as I doubt he will offer open battle again unless at the last desperate gasp – and I don’t want to waste my time on that. We will press on to Romny and see what unfolds.”

zv5Rwz.jpg

Another message, more welcome, arrives in his dispatches from Nygarðr. Another son! What Helgi makes of all this, and the implications for the gavelkind succession, remains unclear for now – certainly to Rurik. He is more concerned about the present. And probably considers himself immortal, or at least with many more years to come.

SYfaAX.jpg

This makes Helgi as heir, plus two sons and two daughters by Ingjerðr. A growing brood to secure the dynasty - and possibly divide the realm in the future!

And Hrörekr sends a message that may have no direct or immediate import for the frozen lands of the north – but sounds like good news if it means members of this particular branch of those Abrahamic infidels now have more chance of fighting each other!

QmhxJz.jpg

The tracks of the remaining Veps army are still fresh in the snow, heading north to Pomorye, as Rurik arrives in Romny on 11 April.

“Let them run like the beaten curs they are,” Rurik announced. “We will besiege this holding until we take it or Karhu submits. I’m done chasing them around. Either way, we win.”

YIqi85.jpg

rs5juy.jpg

At least Hunter likes the weather!

Still Karhu refuses to give up. As April draws to a close, with the rivers and lakes still largely frozen, he sends Voitto on an apparently pointless march around Lake Onega, to the territory of his Finnish neighbour in Ääninen. Rurik thinks to himself: let them waste their energy trekking around the icy landscape! Karhu’s resistance is in its death throes.

xvbWGJ.jpg

May 874

It’s about time! The continued occupation of his territory finally brings Karhu to his senses. The war is officialy won on 5 May 874.

c4Q576.jpg

Rurik is merciful: he allows Karhu to live and to retain the rest of his Chiefdom.

“The fool. All I ever wanted was to reclaim what rightfully belongs to Rus and the Rurikid Dynasty. Now, let us be gone from this benighted backwater!” Rurik nodded to Helgi and with that, they were on their way home.

ied2Ik.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Rurik orders the dismissal of the levy. He now retains as many personal holdings (six) as he can without starting to offend his vassals. However, on dismissing the levy, he receives a report from Helgi about which he seeks more information.

dWNugc.jpg

Ch17 Q2: Levy Dismissal. The message says “only 688 of 1,390.948 troops will be able to return home”. Also, in this screenshot the realm military strength is shown as 1.95k, whereas in the next it has been reduced to 1.25k. Can someone explain what this actually means? Is it standard after dismissing a levy? Have I made a mistake by dismissing it outside Holmgarðr’s borders (ie in Romny)? Is this a real loss and, if so, will it be made up again over time? Any explanation would be very useful, as it will figure into the next set of calculations for the proposed subjugation war on Chud (which might instead become a raid, unless the tribal army summons is issued).

By 15 May Rurik is heading back to Belo Ozero to consider his next step: raid or subjugation; tribal army or not. There are now only 349 men left of his personal regiment, who have followed him through six years of war and raiding. And he notes his military strength estimate [as mentioned above in Q2] has dropped to 1,250. He seeks Helgi’s advice about what troops he will be able to count on for the next expedition and when, wherever it may be. Also of note, his infant son Dyre has now been made heir to the newly acquired Chiefdom of Zaozerye, presumably under the gavelkind succession rules of the realm.

nVKlaw.jpg

Ch17 Q3: More on Gavelkind Succession. We have talked about various aspects of this before, including after the last chapter when discussing the implication of subjugation. So, both the second and third sons have now been made heirs to the two most recently acquired counties – Pskov and now Zaozerye. That’s not too bad, as they are both new and relatively weak. But is that all they get under the succession laws? There was mention before that if I create another Duchy/High Chiefdom for Rurik in the meantime (eg Pskov), or conquer one (eg Chud) in pursuit of the Rus claim, they might be passed out to subsequent sons as well. Is that right? Or do they just inherit the counties? Not having been through a gavelkind succession (or seen one written up in detail on an AAR yet), I have an idea of the general concept but not the specifics. And now there are three sons and maybe more in the future, plus the prospect of a number of subjugation wars over the next few years, I need to start factoring in the consequences of how those conquest should be made. Alas, converting away from gavelkind is, I suspect, too far off to prevent Rurik’s succession being prosecuted under it.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

So ends Rurik’s War of Conquest for Zaozerye and, as is his wont, he will be looking to launch into his next adventure as soon as possible. The dream of Rus moves a little closer, his prestige remains high, the coffers are beginning to recover (but are still quite low after the difficult Pskov conquest) and there are now plenty of heirs to secure the dynasty (though that blessing may be mixed). But he has not yet decided what to do about Helgi and his heretical Slavic beliefs or the bigger question of the consolidation of the Norse holy sites and the reformation of the faith. These issues have been pushed off into the future for now but will inevitably come into view again.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Questions

Ch17 Q1: Plots. OK, I’ve read a bit in other AARs about plots, where some seem to ignore most of them, others track them, some try (as ruler) to stop selected ones and some even seek to auto-stop pretty much every such minor plot. Any views on the merits of different approaches? Is it best to stop them on general principles (unless it’s plot to get rid of someone who needs getting rid of, of course)? Perhaps on the basis of not depleting the court of possible talent? If you let them go at it, are there any adverse effects of such bloodletting in the margins? Conversely, are there benefits in running a tight ship and generally getting the courtiers to behave? Of course, a plot against a key character, family member, oneself, etc is an entirely different matter!

Ch17 Q2: Levy Dismissal. The message says “only 688 of 1,390.948 troops will be able to return home”. Also, in this screenshot the realm military strength is shown as 1.95k, whereas in the next it has been reduced to 1.25k. Can someone explain what this actually means? Is it standard after dismissing a levy? Have I made a mistake by dismissing it outside Holmgarðr’s borders (ie in Romny)? Is this a real loss and, if so, will it be made up again over time? Any explanation would be very useful, as it will figure into the next set of calculations for the proposed subjugation war on Chud (which might instead become a raid, unless the tribal army summons is issued).

Ch17 Q3: More on Gavelkind Succession.
We have talked about various aspects of this before, including after the last chapter when discussing the implication of subjugation. So, both the second and third sons have now been made heirs to the two most recently acquired counties – Pskov and now Zaozerye. That’s not too bad, as they are both new and relatively weak. But is that all they get under the succession laws? There was mention before that if I create another Duchy/High Chiefdom for Rurik in the meantime (eg Pskov), or conquer one (eg Chud) in pursuit of the Rus claim, they might be passed out to subsequent sons as well. Is that right? Or do they just inherit the counties? Not having been through a gavelkind succession (or seen one written up in detail on an AAR yet), I have an idea of the general concept but not the specifics. And now there are three sons and maybe more in the future, plus the prospect of a number of subjugation wars over the next few years, I need to start factoring in the consequences of how those conquest should be made. Alas, converting away from gavelkind is, I suspect, too far off to prevent Rurik’s succession being prosecuted under it.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Thor’s Mighty Spear

Xszxhw.jpg

A couple of Jötnar look on in amazement: “Whoa, I see they call you ‘Mighty Thor’ for a reason!”

“Yes,” observes a rather scantily clad bystander, hand on hip and looking askance. “Keep that thing well away from me!”

“Hey, I want a closer look at that!” asks another (with flowing golden locks) breathlessly, while putting his hand on Thor’s shoulder.

“Keep your distance, Marmaduke, only I am allowed to handle this,” mutters Thor.

Thor is better known for his hammer, and Odin for his spear. But in this case, Thor demonstrates that his own spear is indeed mighty, and so hard you can try to stick a knife in it to no effect!

Last edited:
The long-distance conjugal visits, as you put it, are I find one of the more irksome things in CK2 from an immersion perspective.

As regards to Plots, this very much depends on personal preference. Personally I tend to "bother" about plots that directly impact me, and ignore a lot of the others.

Q1: Personal preference. In a small realm like yours, let them go to town. It gives you a reason to imprison and revoke titles from the Slavs penalty free. In a larger realm it can be a lot of white noise, but a good intrigue spree by your Counts can prevent factions from firing if they get stupid before they have the numbers to challenge you, but requires a lot of micro to keep an eye on them.

Q2: Yeah, never dismiss your levies outside of your borders. It simulates basically telling your people to go home on their own and them being too dumb to actually make it back, stragglers, death by whatever on the way.

Q3: Gavelkind sucks. You only want one top level title as they will split on your death. If you're a single duke, your oldest will get the duchy and younger sons will be counts under him. If you have 2 duchies, your oldest 2 sons will be dukes with younger sons getting counties under them. AND the realm splits in twain. But, your oldest will have strong claims on any newly independent younger brothers, so it's not all bad. Just leads to a large succession war typical of pagans of the time.

Q2: Yeah, never dismiss your levies outside of your borders. It simulates basically telling your people to go home on their own and them being too dumb to actually make it back, stragglers, death by whatever on the way.
I will do my normal comprehensive summary of advice later, but ... damn! :mad: How long does it take for the levels to regenerate? It seems I’ve just taken the equivalent of a 700 man loss! It’s like getting thrashed horribly in a war. :( If it is long-lasting, then all inexperienced players beware: this is far worse than not clicking on the raiding toggle before setting off to Britain. :oops:

Ch17 Q1: Plots. OK, I’ve read a bit in other AARs about plots, where some seem to ignore most of them, others track them, some try (as ruler) to stop selected ones and some even seek to auto-stop pretty much every such minor plot. Any views on the merits of different approaches? Is it best to stop them on general principles (unless it’s plot to get rid of someone who needs getting rid of, of course)? Perhaps on the basis of not depleting the court of possible talent? If you let them go at it, are there any adverse effects of such bloodletting in the margins? Conversely, are there benefits in running a tight ship and generally getting the courtiers to behave? Of course, a plot against a key character, family member, oneself, etc is an entirely different matter!

I tend to determine this by ruler personality. If you allow plots in general, it's easy to miss stopping one you'd like to stop. However, for some plots you get a free excuse to imprison the plotter, which can be useful. Auto-stopping plots means you'll miss out on most of them. And they can be very good for enforcing your will and/or roleplaying fun.

Yeah, don't dismiss your levies outside your realm. There's also effects from situations with your territory being captured. I can't recall if it's when the levy's home province is captured or when they're in a captured province. Or both. In any case, they recover over time, but it always feels like it takes a painful amount of time. Now, you could probably pull off some gamey stuff by raising vassal levies, moving them outside your territory, then dismissing them. But IIRC, you don't directly control your vassal levies right now. They're more like allies.

Ch17 Q3: More on Gavelkind Succession. We have talked about various aspects of this before, including after the last chapter when discussing the implication of subjugation. So, both the second and third sons have now been made heirs to the two most recently acquired counties – Pskov and now Zaozerye. That’s not too bad, as they are both new and relatively weak. But is that all they get under the succession laws? There was mention before that if I create another Duchy/High Chiefdom for Rurik in the meantime (eg Pskov), or conquer one (eg Chud) in pursuit of the Rus claim, they might be passed out to subsequent sons as well. Is that right? Or do they just inherit the counties? Not having been through a gavelkind succession (or seen one written up in detail on an AAR yet), I have an idea of the general concept but not the specifics. And now there are three sons and maybe more in the future, plus the prospect of a number of subjugation wars over the next few years, I need to start factoring in the consequences of how those conquest should be made. Alas, converting away from gavelkind is, I suspect, too far off to prevent Rurik’s succession being prosecuted under it.

As others have mentioned, multiple top-level titles will end badly. And I think in some cases they can end up being created just to split things up (so no getting the land of multiple kingdoms and thinking that by not creating the titles you're good). I'm not sure if that happens if the realm doesn't get split. If you create multiple duchies when you have the kingdom, the duchies will get handed out to multiple sons, but the counties might not be done in a manner that matches. So in addition to gavelkind splitting a kingdom, it also runs the risk of making it a mess internally.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Thor’s Mighty Spear

Xszxhw.jpg

A couple of Jötnar look on in amazement: “Whoa, I see they call you ‘Mighty Thor’ for a reason!”

“Yes,” observes a rather scantily clad bystander, hand on hip and looking askance. “Keep that thing well away from me!”

“Hey, I want a closer look at that!” asks another (with flowing golden locks) breathlessly, while putting his hand on Thor’s shoulder.

“Keep your distance, Marmaduke, only I am allowed to handle this,” mutters Thor.

Thor is better known for his hammer, and Odin for his spear. But in this case, Thor demonstrates that his own spear is indeed mighty, and so hard you can try to stick a knife in it to no effect!

I'm generally pretty disdainful of people finding phallic symbolism in random places, but uh…

I'm generally pretty disdainful of people finding phallic symbolism in random places, but uh…
I know, you’re right of course, I wouldn’t normally go there, but considered it in-character with a lusty, heathen Norse-type approach. And then I found that quaint picture and weakened further - ah well, what’s done is done :rolleyes::D

Will do the standard debrief on the questions, but re levies, this would seem to be leading me down the path of the tribal army until those numbers recover, especially without the money for mercs or the ordinary troops for decent raiding. Plus some of those vassals (yes, you’re right, they have to mainly be called as allies, and half are likely to refuse).

The primary advantage of auto-stopping plots is that you need to pay far less attention to stopping ones you actually want stopped (i.e. a plot to kill your child).

In general I personally believe the best approach is to keep track of the people who you personally fine useful (excellent commanders, good councilors, heirs, etc.) and keep them safe while everyone else can slaughter each other. In general, if a plot it to succeed the target needs several enemies anyways.

By dismissing them outside of your land some of them are effectively killed. Your levy will replenish just as it would if they had died in battle.

Ch17 Q3: More on Gavelkind Succession.
We have talked about various aspects of this before, including after the last chapter when discussing the implication of subjugation. So, both the second and third sons have now been made heirs to the two most recently acquired counties – Pskov and now Zaozerye. That’s not too bad, as they are both new and relatively weak. But is that all they get under the succession laws? There was mention before that if I create another Duchy/High Chiefdom for Rurik in the meantime (eg Pskov), or conquer one (eg Chud) in pursuit of the Rus claim, they might be passed out to subsequent sons as well. Is that right? Or do they just inherit the counties? Not having been through a gavelkind succession (or seen one written up in detail on an AAR yet), I have an idea of the general concept but not the specifics. And now there are three sons and maybe more in the future, plus the prospect of a number of subjugation wars over the next few years, I need to start factoring in the consequences of how those conquest should be made. Alas, converting away from gavelkind is, I suspect, too far off to prevent Rurik’s succession being prosecuted under it.

Additional duchies can be passed down to other sons, splitting the realm. Think of this as an incentive to get the kingdom of Rus formed before Rurik croaks.

Personally my way of thinking is this:
If the plot hurts someone you don't care about, just let it slide. It's not worth the time to keep stopping people from doing absolutely everything, and auto stopping plots risks to prevent you the choices below.
If the plot is something that depends on you (like those plot about getting a role in the council), you can consider them when the one that organized the plot comes to you;
If the plot hurts someone you care about, you stop them.
Of course they can also be useful to get rid of someone. Think of this, if one of your vassals organize a plot, even if is something stupid like "Count X seeks to kill Unimportant von Uninteresting", you can use it to get rid of the vassal. Worst case scenario he will rise in rebellion, but if you send your spymaster and marshal to his county before using the button to capture him, you can easily get him. Once you have him, you can strip him of one of his titles without any penalty.
OR, if you hate both the target and the offender, you can actually let him kill the guy and then hope he gets the "known assassin" modifier, which gives you a chance to capture him. That is the best definition of two birds with one stone, but of course is a far more rare occurance;
Basically, plots can be very useful to you even when you are not part of them.

Everyone already answered this. If you just tell your levies to return home, you will lose half if not more. You can check how many troops you recover each day in your holding. To see how long it will take to replenish your army:
ESiLBZ2.png
Just put the cursor on it and it will show automatically, no clicking or anything.
I am quite surprised you didn't do this mistake sooner, I fucked it up on my very first war.

Basically:
First son gets main title and capital;
Second son gets second title (In your case, that would be another duchy, if you had any. For a king it can be another kingdom and/or a duchy, and for an emperor it can be a full blown Empire, a kingdom, or a duchy) and at least one county (in this case, Pskov);
Third son gets third main title (see above) and at least one county (in this case, Chud);
And it goes on as long as you have any other title besides main title and county
They will remain vassals of the firstborn if the title they get is de jure under your son's de jure kingdom and is a lower title (in your case, your second and third son will remain vassal of your firstborn), otherwise (the title is equal/the county is not de jure part of the kingdom your son's land will be part of, in your case Rus) they will break free (I think it will always happen, but I am not one hundred percent sure because gavelkind is quite a mess).

Everyone already answered this. If you just tell your levies to return home, you will lose half if not more. You can check how many troops you recover each day in your holding. To see how long it will take to replenish your army:

I am quite surprised you didn't do this mistake sooner, I fucked it up on my very first war.
:D Until now, all my levies were dismissed in-country in the province I’d just conquered, so it didn’t arise. On the positive side, at least it happened early and with a comparatively small levy. o_O Another hard-earned lesson.

PS: and I’d never seen it mentioned as a thing in any AAR I’d read so far. Either people were too experienced to do it, or weren’t silly enough to be playing Ironman mode and therefore could take it back!

Others have made the points on plots, dismissing your levies and gavelkind succession so there is little to add save doesn’t the game warn you before dismissing levies outside your demesne?

Well done o’king. You’ve done well here (apart from the levies screw up haha)

Others have made the points on plots, dismissing your levies and gavelkind succession so there is little to add save doesn’t the game warn you before dismissing levies outside your demesne?

The warning was basically that line at the bottom of the levy dismissal pop-up I highlighted in the screenshot. Alas, i didn’t really notice or register its import until afterwards, by which time it was too late. Rather like cc tv, it’s usually only any good for catching the offender after the deed is done :(. As above, because I’d dismissed levies at least four or five times previously without having encountered that mechanic, it only became noticeable to me when trying to figure out where my 700 men had gone! :eek: Ah well, it is a learning AAR after all. They can consider themselves sacrifices for the greater good. :rolleyes:

The thing about plots is how they can sometimes get out of control. Somebody kills somebody who is worthless to you - but their family decides to strike back and soon half of Europe is trying to kill your Courtiers.

King's Council (a summary of advice from Chapter 17 - May 874)
King's Council (a summary of advice from Chapter 17 - May 874)

Naturally, the King was pleased with a successful campaign to expand his borders and bring himself one step closer to the ambition of creating the Kingdom of Rus. And then was livid after discovering the disbandment of the levies cost him around a third of his army because they were dismissed outside the realm's borders and thus a large amount of them got lost and died heading home! Well, another lesson learned, but at great cost. Much of that discussion has already been had above, so I will not recount it again in detail. The basic lesson is simple enough, once you know it!

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

General Comments
The long-distance conjugal visits, as you put it, are I find one of the more irksome things in CK2 from an immersion perspective.
Yes, as mentioned, I'm just going to ignore the incongruity and let the mists of time obscure these things (we're reporting here over 1,200 years later, so I think that's reasonable). As you say, it ruins immersion, but pointing it out and then trying to create an elaborate situation to explain it gets bothersome.
Thank you! And now I'm going to have to make the most of this "character building" stuff-up. Rurik needs to keep expanding, raiding etc, and can't waste time now waiting for levies to regrow (though seeing how that goes will be another part of the illustrated learning experience here, so hopefully of value to other readers who aren't as familiar with this newbie balls-up.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

As regards to Plots, this very much depends on personal preference. Personally I tend to "bother" about plots that directly impact me, and ignore a lot of the others.
Q1: Personal preference. In a small realm like yours, let them go to town. It gives you a reason to imprison and revoke titles from the Slavs penalty free. In a larger realm it can be a lot of white noise, but a good intrigue spree by your Counts can prevent factions from firing if they get stupid before they have the numbers to challenge you, but requires a lot of micro to keep an eye on them.
1. I tend to determine this by ruler personality. If you allow plots in general, it's easy to miss stopping one you'd like to stop. However, for some plots you get a free excuse to imprison the plotter, which can be useful. Auto-stopping plots means you'll miss out on most of them. And they can be very good for enforcing your will and/or roleplaying fun.
1. The primary advantage of auto-stopping plots is that you need to pay far less attention to stopping ones you actually want stopped (i.e. a plot to kill your child).

In general I personally believe the best approach is to keep track of the people who you personally fine useful (excellent commanders, good councilors, heirs, etc.) and keep them safe while everyone else can slaughter each other. In general, if a plot it to succeed the target needs several enemies anyways.
1. Personally my way of thinking is this:
If the plot hurts someone you don't care about, just let it slide. It's not worth the time to keep stopping people from doing absolutely everything, and auto stopping plots risks to prevent you the choices below.
If the plot is something that depends on you (like those plot about getting a role in the council), you can consider them when the one that organized the plot comes to you;
If the plot hurts someone you care about, you stop them.
Of course they can also be useful to get rid of someone. Think of this, if one of your vassals organize a plot, even if is something stupid like "Count X seeks to kill Unimportant von Uninteresting", you can use it to get rid of the vassal. Worst case scenario he will rise in rebellion, but if you send your spymaster and marshal to his county before using the button to capture him, you can easily get him. Once you have him, you can strip him of one of his titles without any penalty.
OR, if you hate both the target and the offender, you can actually let him kill the guy and then hope he gets the "known assassin" modifier, which gives you a chance to capture him. That is the best definition of two birds with one stone, but of course is a far more rare occurance;
Basically, plots can be very useful to you even when you are not part of them.
The thing about plots is how they can sometimes get out of control. Somebody kills somebody who is worthless to you - but their family decides to strike back and soon half of Europe is trying to kill your Courtiers.
All this is good advice, especially how you can use them to your advantage if the circumstances are right. From a learning perspective, I'm interested in getting a few - of different types, relevance and importance - and then gaming it through. Like most of you, I'd be against auto-stopping and lean towards the "let it go unless it damages your interests" school, though with an eye to ensuring it doesn't get out of hand, causing a bloodbath that could become destructive of the realm's gene pool and security.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

2. Yeah, don't dismiss your levies outside your realm. There's also effects from situations with your territory being captured. I can't recall if it's when the levy's home province is captured or when they're in a captured province. Or both. In any case, they recover over time, but it always feels like it takes a painful amount of time. Now, you could probably pull off some gamey stuff by raising vassal levies, moving them outside your territory, then dismissing them. But IIRC, you don't directly control your vassal levies right now. They're more like allies.
2. By dismissing them outside of your land some of them are effectively killed. Your levy will replenish just as it would if they had died in battle.
2. Everyone already answered this. If you just tell your levies to return home, you will lose half if not more. You can check how many troops you recover each day in your holding. To see how long it will take to replenish your army:
ESiLBZ2.png
Just put the cursor on it and it will show automatically, no clicking or anything.
Well, this has been well-trawled through by now and I did most of the feedback posts as they came in. For those reading this bit:
  1. Rule 1: Never, never, ever dismiss your levies outside your realm's borders. You'll lose a gazillion of them. :eek:
  2. Rule 2: If you do, stiff cheese! :mad: You will just have to wait a long time to get them back. See Rufy_King's post above on how to track that excruciating regrowth.
  3. Rules 3 to 24: see Rule 1! ;)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Q3: Gavelkind sucks. You only want one top level title as they will split on your death. If you're a single duke, your oldest will get the duchy and younger sons will be counts under him. If you have 2 duchies, your oldest 2 sons will be dukes with younger sons getting counties under them. AND the realm splits in twain. But, your oldest will have strong claims on any newly independent younger brothers, so it's not all bad. Just leads to a large succession war typical of pagans of the time.
That will get 'interesting'! Question will be whether Rus is/can be formed before Rurik dies. To form it I need to create at least one additional new duchy.
3. As others have mentioned, multiple top-level titles will end badly. And I think in some cases they can end up being created just to split things up (so no getting the land of multiple kingdoms and thinking that by not creating the titles you're good). I'm not sure if that happens if the realm doesn't get split. If you create multiple duchies when you have the kingdom, the duchies will get handed out to multiple sons, but the counties might not be done in a manner that matches. So in addition to gavelkind splitting a kingdom, it also runs the risk of making it a mess internally.
Ugh.
3. Additional duchies can be passed down to other sons, splitting the realm. Think of this as an incentive to get the kingdom of Rus formed before Rurik croaks.
I think it's pointing therefore to only creating the single additional duchy necessary to form Rus on the point of forming it, all at once. Rurik must keep busy and losing a large slice of his levy right now is not helpful. Ah well, when needs must ...
3. Basically:
First son gets main title and capital;
Second son gets second title (In your case, that would be another duchy, if you had any. For a king it can be another kingdom and/or a duchy, and for an emperor it can be a full blown Empire, a kingdom, or a duchy) and at least one county (in this case, Pskov);
Third son gets third main title (see above) and at least one county (in this case, Chud);
And it goes on as long as you have any other title besides main title and county
They will remain vassals of the firstborn if the title they get is de jure under your son's de jure kingdom and is a lower title (in your case, your second and third son will remain vassal of your firstborn), otherwise (the title is equal/the county is not de jure part of the kingdom your son's land will be part of, in your case Rus) they will break free (I think it will always happen, but I am not one hundred percent sure because gavelkind is quite a mess).
So I'm gathering. Should be fun! :confused:

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

OK, back to playing some more of the game now. Having spent time at the front recently with Turkey and France in WW2, it's back east and 1,200 years to Rurik's dream of Rus! Thanks once again to all contributors who help me and work for the greater good. As always, your support is invaluable and appreciated. :)

As an additional aside I would like to mention that if you have 1 kingdom title and the land to make a second, under elective gavelkind that 2nd kingdom WILL be created and passed out. Also applies to empire-tier titles.

As to your depleted levies, chances are there's someone out there with even fewer men, and while you raise what you have left, the empty part will continue to replenish.

As an additional aside I would like to mention that if you have 1 kingdom title and the land to make a second, under elective gavelkind that 2nd kingdom WILL be created and passed out. Also applies to empire-tier titles.
Thanks and noted. I hope by that time to have gotten rid of this bothersome gavelkind, but in case I don’t, it’s good to be forewarned.
As to your depleted levies, chances are there's someone out there with even fewer men, and while you raise what you have left, the empty part will continue to replenish.
How right you are! Having played the next section through and in the process now of screenshot editing and writing up, you have ‘peeked over my shoulder’! ;)

I won’t give any specifics away, but can say that Rurik has not been idle. He feels lost without some Blut und Schlacht! :D

Chapter 18: Friendship is Fleeting (15 May to 21 December 874)
Chapter 18: Friendship is Fleeting (15 May to 21 December 874)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht … Rurik’s lover Edla has been unwell of late with some debilitating mystery illness; Rurik completes his conquest of Zaozerye and is now looking for the next region to bring into his dreamed-of Kingdom of Rus; but as he sends his levies home from the war, they get caught by bad weather, wolves and bandits and half perish, badly reducing the personal troops available to him.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

May 874

As Rurik returned from his successful campaign for Zaozerye and the highly unsuccessful post-war demobilisation that followed, he asked his battle scribe to provide him a map of the known world, mainly to the east of his realm of Holmgarðr. It was a part of the world he had never been to ... and his adventures in far west of Europa had made him realise how large the world really was. Those wide open Eastern lands were full of threats and rapacious raiding nomads: some might sweep through at any time.

“Hand me that map we recently obtained from my wife in Constantinople, young Heðinn, the one depicting the Eastern World.”

“Of course, my Konungr.” The lad fetched the labelled map scroll and unrolled it for his king, weighting its ends to ensure it stayed flat.

ngVJgs.jpg

He pondered the map, noting the great expanses to the east and the many peoples living there. He was conscious that the larger and more prosperous he made his kingdom, especially if Rus were one day formed, the greater the target it would make for ambitious raiders and armed settlers who may sweep over those steppes. Whether it was him or a successor, those threats would have to be catered for. A task for the future, but to be kept in mind always. Securing Rus was far from the only objective he envisaged for his dynasty. He would do as much as he could to hand on a powerful realm to those who followed him. But then something caught his eye on the margins of this map.

“I see the edge of this map shows part of the Hungarian kingdom – it seems to have expanded greatly in just a few years. Bring me that other map of Europa that came in the same set of dispatches.”

H4qocR.jpg

Looking past the many smaller petty kingdoms and chiefdoms, in the heart of Europa, a great Hungarian kingdom had arisen with alarming speed. Expanding from its heartland in the basin of the Carpathian Mountains, the Magyars have conquered a large part of western Germania, where East Francia is no more. They are still far away, but will bear some watching in coming years! Will they burn bright and then burn out, or become a longstanding great power in the middle of Europa, he wonders to himself.

But the focus must now be closer to home. After the recent demobilisation debacle and some (very modest by comparison) combat losses, Rurik’s demesne levy strength is now low (1,279 according to Gumarich der Schreiber’s tally sheet, recently found in the Rurikid scroll trove and translated). Below is the assessment on levies Prince-Marshal Helgi provided, including the one vassal who could be relied on to provide levies (Godi þorolfr’s trusty but small band); those vassals who may provide allied forces if called to arms on the outbreak of war (marked in blue) and those who it would be no point even asking. It does not include Rurik's personal regiment. There is also the option, upon the declaration of war, of raising a large tribal army – but this would have to trade heavily on Rurik’s hard-earned prestige, and he only wanted to do this if he felt he really had to.

pnrcuA.jpg

“And how long is it going to take to rebuild this terrible [Ed: around 700 men] loss of our levies, son?”

“The smaller counties will make their contributions, but it is Holmgarðr and Ladoga that will provide the bulk of the men and have all the advanced training facilities. Here are our current estimates.” Helgi hands over a summary to his father.

DHIqnY.jpg

All told, with the smaller contribution of the other provinces, it will take two-three years to replace the men lost, more to reach the full recruiting potential of all Rurik’s demesne main provinces.

“Well, we can’t wait for the levies to replenish Helgi – there is bloody work to be done, and soon. I intend to keep conquering for now. Much as I would like another raid for the prestige and gold, our loss of numbers means I can’t do both at once. It is to war instead I intend us to march.”

“Very well, father. Chud was our next candidate for conquest and they remain weak. Even in our reduced state, we should have ample troops to defeat them without mustering a tribal army.”

“Gather reports and we will look at them when we return to home territory. Take a look at High Chief Zhavoronok of Tver, to our south, as well. Just a general estimate for now. With Miemo of Chud, just do another check to make sure he doesn’t have any surprises in store for us – tribal or religious hordes, new allies or pacts, that kind of thing.”

“Of course, father. I will send the orders ahead now.” Helgi begins to leave the King’s tent to do just that.

As he is about to head through the open flap, Rurik gives some parting guidance. “And when we do get back, I’ll be sending you back home to expedite the training of our new levies. That will be the priority for some time now. I know you revel in that work.” He does not say what he is also thinking, and that Helgi knows he is thinking: it will also get the Prince out of direct command duties for a good period of time. Although he has done his duty in the two recent campaigns, they both know he fears battle at heart. The Prince isn’t sure he should be thankful or offended by this. Indeed, neither man is sure of that.

June 874

The information sought on the High Chiefdoms of Chud and Tver came into Rurik’s hand on 5 June, as he crossed the Volga back into his new county of Zaozerye. Tver would bring three Rus counties into the growing realm is subjugated; Chud two. But High Chief Zhavoronok had around 1,050 levies at his disposal: a check would need to be done of any pacts or alliances, but while his prestige was quiet low and his treasury small, his piety was high: a check would need to be done to see whether he is able to raise one of those religious regiments that caused so much trouble in Pskov. Miemo should present no such challenges and there are no difficult pacts to worry about (they have been checked). His very small levy should be easy pickings. He will be forced to bend the knee!

zoIMuM.jpg

He received another – private – letter with his dispatches. This one was from his lover, young Edla – Steward Alfgeir’s estranged wife. He had hoped she would have recovered sufficiently from her unknown malady to join him in Belo Ozero, as he mustered his levies for war on Chud. Alas, it seemed she remained too unwell to travel. She wished him luck and wrote that she looked forward to seeing him again after the war was won. She said she was certain she would be well again in a month or two. Rurik was not sure if he should be worried or comforted by her words. But, in any case, there was naught he could do about it and so put it from his mind. There was a war to prepare for and a kingdom to be run.

A few days later, word came through that the new training grounds had been completed in Holmgarðr – good timing, considering their manpower problems. This meant Steward Alfgeir had finished his construction supervision task in Holmgarðr and needed to be employed gainfully elsewhere. Gumarich filed a letter the King sent to the Steward pondering setting him to aid Godi þorolfr’s proselytising mission in Holmgarðr by settling additional tribe members in the capital county to try to change the culture there to Norse. But instead, he sent Alfgeir to Ladoga, to rush through construction of the new training grounds there. Perhaps he could be used to spread Norse culture when he was free after completing that task.

pyhOUQ.jpg

Helgi was, as foreshadowed, released from his command in the army and sent back to the capital county to train more reinforcements: the impact was very significant: it basically doubled the monthly reinforcement rate. The young Marshal was in his element: his harsh – though underneath cowardly – personality and good martial knowledge seemed best suited to training raw recruits effectively. He was a very competent commander in a tactical sense, but the impact of his craven nature on the officers and men under his command simply sapped their morale.

sWBtlE.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

War on Chud

That same day – 8 June 874 – Rurik formally launched his next move in his grand ambition to create the Kingdom of Rus: he declared a war of subjugation on High Chief Miemo II of Chud. Miemo would abase himself, whether he liked it or not. Conquest in bits and pieces would not win Rurik the kingdom he wanted as quickly as he wanted it – in his own lifetime, so his heir would inherit a strong position, including against any pretenders from his own family. This would mean taking on a range of subordinate ducal titles which he knew, if he died too soon, may end up dividing rather than uniting his kingdom on his death. But the gamble would be taken: glory beckoned!

DATodD.jpg

The reliable Norse Chief Egill of Smaleskja was called to arms as an ally, as was Nuyanza of Ingria and his small levy, still slowly recovering from the damaging war with Pskov. He did not waste the effort on Svetozar of Luki or Vsemil of Belo Ozero. It would be interesting to see who – if anyone – turned up! For now, Rurik did not call on a tribal army: with raiding on hold for now, his prestige would accrue somewhat more slowly, with a kick along from any wars won: he would spend it carefully and did not need the additional troops for this expedition. He hoped.

By 10 Jun, the available levies had begun to assemble and received their orders to concentrate in Belo Ozero, where Rurik waited with his personal regiment. Scouts soon reported that Miemo’s levies – numbering only 414 in total – had mustered and seemed to be heading south, through neutral territory! They appeared not to be bothered with trying to contest their home counties, leaving them to be besieged. Instead, they must be planning to cross the Volga to the south and attempt to raid Rurik’s own territory. Probably not that bad an idea given their parlous position.

ufoVQp.jpg

On 12 June, a letter arrived from the trusty Egill: he pledged his entire levy of 450 troops to honour the call to war.

“Good man – long may he live and prosper!” Rurik’s scribe recorded as his response. “I wish all my vassals would be as stout-hearted as him. You can always trust a good Norse warrior!”

Some days later, the King received a response of a different nature from Nuyanza: while he still professed to hold his king in high regard, he said he was unable to respond to his call, citing the piteous state of his understrength levy. Alas, this failure did not sit so well with Rurik, who needed every soldier he could muster. This refusal would not be easily forgotten.

CEDPSk.jpg

July 874

The war was now in the manouevre stage. Battlefield reports filed away by Gumarich’s assistant travelling with the king, the young battlefield scribe Heðinn, allow us to reconstruct the progress of the various moving parts – of which there were three principle groups. By 19 July, most of Rurik’s levy had mustered in Belo Ozero, pausing to see where it would move next. He just waited on þorolfr’s small levy to join. Egill’s allied detachment was led by his commander Ingemar. They acted under their own orders and were heading towards their gathering point in the capital, before they would then deploy as they saw fit. Having a ‘rear guard’ in place could end up being very useful and should give Rurik options. The enemy’s small force had not yet concentrated, but was clearly heading to raid Torzhok. They were allowed to continue in that direction unhindered – leaving their own homes open to depredation and with too small a force to reduce Rurik’s holdings easily.

HwbmEv.jpg

August 874

Rurik’s force was fully assembled by 2 August. He decided to strike for Vologda to begin reducing the enemy’s strongholds (there only being one in each county). The enemy had by now concentrated in Yaroslavl and continued west to Torzhok. It looked like Ingemar’s Smaleskja regiment was following Rurik to Belo Ozero – a march to Torzhok might have been preferable, but they would follow their own plans independently.

8lcj5Y.jpg

Ch18 Q1: Allies. I’ve assumed here that, unlike some other Paradox games, one can’t ‘set objectives’ or make requests for an allied force to head to a particular location. But if there is, any advice on how to do that would be great. If not, even confirming the inability to ‘request’ such action would be useful, as would any other hints or obscure lore on managing allies in war.

During the month, the Chud army had seen the approach of Rurik to Vologda and had marched back to Kostroma, perhaps with some view to contest it by arriving before Rurik and using a river defence against superior odds. But Rurik arrived in Vologda on 26 August to commence the siege and the enemy had second thoughts, marching back towards Yaroslavl again.

PPPoGf.jpg

September 874

Early September had the redoubtable Egill’s commander in Belo Ozero and heading to Yaroslavl to try to cut off Miemo’s forces as they now headed to Torzhok. But it looked like they would arrive a day too late. Ah well, so be it. With friends like Egill, all would be well.

ET7i49.jpg

On 24 September, Heðinn recorded a sealed letter had arrived, bearing Chancellor Hrörekr’s personal seal (he remained in Luki, trying to persuade Chief Svetozar to a more loyal state of mind). The news soon became public, but for now and to maintain morale, Rurik kept the news to himself. However, the letter was of course preserved by the meticulous Gumarich and is reproduced below.

F9ASTN.jpg

Alas, Egill has passed too young. His only son Grimr (just four years old) succeeds him and is reasonably well disposed to his king. His mother the admirable Bodil af Tikhvin, will be his regent. But, should anything untoward befall Grimr, Rurik himself would inherit the county. Hmmm.

On the seventh day after Egill’s death, though absent from his place of burial, Rurik celebrated the sjaund (the word both for the funeral ale and the feast, since it involved a ritual drinking) with the traditional ale.

ARrbnW.jpg

Egill’s men in the field commemorate news of their Chief's passing in proper Norse fashion – the ale is passed around.

Sure enough, Commander Into of Chud just evades the chase of Ingemar’s Smaleskjans. He begins besieging the Torzhok tribal fort while Ingemar plans a river-crossing assault. Rurik hopes it goes better than his last effort at that against the Pskovans!

D7ljag.jpg

October 874

cD2WNm.jpg

Miracles can happen – the royal couple’s fifth child together is on the way!

Alfgeir reports the new training grounds in Ladoga have been completed early. But it seems the effort is such that he cannot move onto his next task until 8 December. The sluggard! Perhaps the dwarf has a mistress there himself and deigns to tarry, recorded Rurik in his private diary. Though I could hardly blame him for that!

4pLW1l.jpg

On 23 October, the Smaleskja contingent (now commanded by a new commander, Barid) crosses the Volga River into Torzhok and joins battle with Into’s men of Chud. The battle lasts until 10 November. Despite the river crossing, the Smaleskjan’s win a decisive victory and break the siege. Huzzah! They pursue the Chud army (which has routed in panic) at a more leisurely pace.

WkS3zY.jpg

[As an allied-run battle there was no access to the usual screens, but this ‘battle mini-map’ compilation will do! The figures at the bottom were the strengths and destinations at the end of the battle. We can see Barid lost 35 and Into of Chud 74. The war score moves up to 15% as a result.]

November 874

The siege of Vologda is finished without incident, advancing the war score significantly.

rD3J60.jpg

By 28 November, all three armies are in motion. Into of Chud has been replaced as commander by Ukko and they seem to be bleeding casualties as they flee, having lost another 30 men since fleeing from Torzhok on 10 November. Either that, or some minor levy has broken away. If they keep heading towards Chud they may be in for a nasty reception, as Rurik will make it there before them, while Barid pursues them into Belo Ozero.

ItQKUe.jpg

December 874

Rurik duly arrives in Chud on 9 December and commences the siege of the single tribal holding.

O2F2hq.jpg

w8IerZ.jpg

Compared to his now substantial fortifications in Holmgarðr and Ladoga, these simple wooden palisades now seem rude and primitive to Rurik.

The day he arrives, the King receives a private message under the seal of his household chamberlain. He takes it to his tent to read it in private.

o9ynbe.jpg

Sad news indeed: Edla’s ailment, whatever it may have been, was more serious than ‘just a cold or flu’. She has died well before her time, leaving behind a heartbroken young daughter, a sad but stoic lover … and an indifferent husband. The letter says she was given a traditional Viking burial, surrounded by some of her treasured possession and other necessaries for the afterlife. Of course, a careful watch will be kept so she doesn’t return as a draugr or some other evil spirit! That would be just too sad for all concerned.

Rurik reflects on some fun and energetic times spent with young Edla and downs a good few horns of mead that night, staring at the palisades of Chud and determining to fight on in her honour. He will think of her the next time an architectural wonder is proposed for the realm’s building program. On the seventh day after Edla’s death, though absent from home, he once more celebrated the sjaund with the for a departed friend.

X966lQ.jpg

Rurik’s ceremonial drinking horn is again broken out for a quiet ale or two.

Ukko and his fleeing Finns pass straight through the backways of Chud without stopping: they never intended to stand and fight. Rurik watches them on their way and bids them good riddance. Meanwhile, Barid is now directing his troops to Vologda: this is excellent once again, providing some cover there without having to divert any troops from the siege of Chud, should their errant army return.

vdSW2V.jpg

Thus ends 874 CE in the Chronicles of the Rurikid Dynasty. A fitting place to pause the story, which will be resumed during the bitter winter snows of January as – barring any surprises – the last scenes of the subjugation of High Chief Miemo of Chud will be played out.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Editor’s Note: the end of the war and its immediate aftermath have been played out but – for the sake of episode length and readability – will be included in the next chapter, which should follow reasonably soon. After that, a major Thing will be held to once again consider next steps for the dynasty, and the neighbours start getting larger and the stakes higher. There will also be some other surprising and dramatic developments that may spark comment and advice from the learned attendees of that Thing. But for now, there is the one simple question and an invitation for any other points or applicable pieces of advice that may arise from these latest doings.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Questions

Ch18 Q1: Allies. I’ve assumed here that, unlike some other Paradox games, one can’t ‘set objectives’ or make requests for an allied force to head to a particular location. But if there is, any advice on how to do that would be great. If not, even confirming the inability to ‘request’ such action would be useful, as would any other hints or obscure lore on managing allies in war.

Ch18 Q2: General Comments or Tips. As always, if anything arises (gameplay or narrative) you would like to comment or offer advice on, please do. Even just brief words of noting or encouragement are gold for the humble authAAR (those who write themselves know well what I mean ;) ).

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

crndOT.jpg

Death has been too frequent a caller of late – but the Gods will have their due. Being the friend or lover of a zealous king is no protection. Rurik awaits a reunion in Valhalla - but, may Odin grant, not for some years yet.

Last edited:

Well, actually you can, to a degree. You can indicate which counties allies should siege out (unfortunately, you can't ask them to relieve your captured lands, this isn't EUIV) or tell them which armies or enemies to focus on, or whether they should be defensive or attack. Whether your allies do this or ignore it, or do the exact opposite, is sort of left to the mysteries of the game and the RNG. I have found however that if a kingdom is powerful enough to send a largish army (in comparison to their neighbours) and have decent reserves or quick resupply times, they tend to follow your instructions more carefully i.e. big military powers will do what is required for the war rather than attempt to preserve army numbers and such, because they can easily replace them.

Sometimes though just letting really good AI generals with good martial ability run the war for you is the best strategy. In CKII, it pays to have a slave 'ally' who will crush your opponents for you whilst you stay safe. And yes, I did first start using this strategy when I was playing England. Getting France (or equivalent) to do all your warring for you in Europe really allows you to concentrate in entirely different directions all at once.

Ch18 Q2: General Comments or Tips. As always, if anything arises (gameplay or narrative) you would like to comment or offer advice on, please do. Even just brief words of noting or encouragement are gold for the humble authAAR (those who write themselves know well what I mean ;) ).

Well in your case I would get an alliance with Hungary and bleed them dry by getting them to help you as often as possible. The reverse, Hungary being declared on, shouldn't matter much to you as it will probably be the Frankish kingdoms (and rebel lords in Germany) attacking Hungary rather than your Baltic and Balkan neighbours. I honestly doubt that kingdom will stay intact, precisely because Germany makes up such a big part of it and the game really, really likes forming Germany as a sovereign nation. It'll either be an internal rebellion or succession or the other kingdoms getting involved but I wouldn't worry too much about Hungary long term. Short term, try to get something out of it.

Also, if you can prevent large build ups of powerful kingdoms in Scandinavia, you'll make your job much easier when you want to inevitably expand there (easy wars for the most part, though rough terrain). The only downside of splitting it all up is that there will be more raiding nations and thus more competition and ruined counties you can't get anything out of.

Thanks TBC: just a quick question (for you or any reader who sees it first and knows the answer). How exactly do you indicate the allied objectives? In this case, it is for a tribal vassal who has responded to the call to arms. It there a drop down menu, tooltip or click, or whatever, to pass such a request? It wasn’t obvious to me when I was mucking about earlier, but I didn’t know what or where I was looking for (I’m sure there’s a song with those lyrics ;) ).

Good to see your progress. That Hungary ... an opportunity and a threat all rolled up into one

Silly European maps. Mlechchha is NOT how you spell Kamarupa. :rolleyes: