• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Deftly played with the prince there O’King! That craven trait can be annoying for sure.

A good chapter, well-written.

I too have the same question about setting allies objectives. Wasn’t this brought in with a recent dlc?

Last edited:
Deftly played with the prince there O’King! That craven trait can be annoying for sure.

A goos chapter, well-written.

I too have the same question about setting allies objectives. Wasn’t this brought in with a recent dlc?
Thank you, my friend. You will see things get quite - interesting - with Helgi in the near future (with a couple more game months played through and waiting to be written up). And put Rurik in an even more emotionally and morally conflicted position re Helgi - yes, even for a 9th century Norse Pagan tribal chieftain! :eek::oops:

Rurik will need both professional and amateur advice - either that, or use it as a good premise for a Ricki Lake show episode! The kind of delicious, fraught and ambiguous situation CK2 can do such a good job in creating every so often. I’m looking forward to writing it up!

Ch18 Q1: Allies. I’ve assumed here that, unlike some other Paradox games, one can’t ‘set objectives’ or make requests for an allied force to head to a particular location. But if there is, any advice on how to do that would be great. If not, even confirming the inability to ‘request’ such action would be useful, as would any other hints or obscure lore on managing allies in war.

Ch18 Q2: General Comments or Tips.
As always, if anything arises (gameplay or narrative) you would like to comment or offer advice on, please do. Even just brief words of noting or encouragement are gold for the humble authAAR (those who write themselves know well what I mean ;) ).
Unfortunately I don't really use allies in single player (and when I do I let them do their thing, if nothing else they can die taking some enemy with them), so I won't be of much help for that.

For the game, I think you are doing fine, you are on a good way to form Rus, you have many heirs (Even though your eldest son is still not Germanic Pagan, but I believe you can solve that) and even the mistake with the army didn't compromise your war.

And I give that Kingdom of Hungary 20 years top, then it's going to crumble. In fact, I am surprised there is not a huge rebellion yet.

No answers for you this time, but still reading.

I really don't have much in the way of advice on this update, I tend to avoid allies (they're more unreliable than anything else I've ever seen in CK2) and satisfy myself with non-aggression pacts instead. Allies tend to try to use your strength to their advantage and declare on some enemy that you could both take, but only when you need them immediately.

A nice little war, and nicely executed. Keep it up!

I really don't have much in the way of advice on this update, I tend to avoid allies (they're more unreliable than anything else I've ever seen in CK2) and satisfy myself with non-aggression pacts instead. Allies tend to try to use your strength to their advantage and declare on some enemy that you could both take, but only when you need them immediately.

A nice little war, and nicely executed. Keep it up!
Yes, in this case it’s just because of my tribal setup and I can’t call on chieftain vassals to provide vassal levies: I can only call on them under the ally process. And because of the earlier levy dismissal blunder I needed the extra troops. In this case, they were a free good and actually performed a very useful role. Just wondered if there was an objective assignment function- if it is there but DLC dependent, it might be one I don’t have yet.

There is an expansion added to the military tab when in a war with allies that allows you to indicate your preferences for each ally (and against each enemy, which if you are running a large overseas empire against a coalition, is quite handy). I think also each enemy county tab has a siege attack here button.

This might be only included in a dlc (must be a fairly new one but not the latest Chinese one-I don't have that yet) but I like using my allies instead of fighting when I'm starting up as a small nation, and when I'm trying to run an overseas empire rather than a continuous land one (the latter I find is far too easy to accomplish).

There is an expansion added to the military tab when in a war with allies that allows you to indicate your preferences for each ally (and against each enemy, which if you are running a large overseas empire against a coalition, is quite handy). I think also each enemy county tab has a siege attack here button.

This might be only included in a dlc (must be a fairly new one but not the latest Chinese one-I don't have that yet) but I like using my allies instead of fighting when I'm starting up as a small nation, and when I'm trying to run an overseas empire rather than a continuous land one (the latter I find is far too easy to accomplish).
Think it arrived at same time as Monks and Mystics-need to try it out as it sounds very handy

I have all the DLC and didn't know this existed. It's like Skyrim all over again lol.

Thanks, I must check this out.

Ah, interesting indeed: I don’t have M&M yet but will now investigate getting it. It doesn’t introduce anything too silly or irritating, I hope? From reading various comments (before I’d actually played the game, so relying purely on the opinion of others) I recall some of the DLC I didn’t get to start with had ‘side effects’.

I didn't know about the allies thing either.

Ah, interesting indeed: I don’t have M&M yet but will now investigate getting it. It doesn’t introduce anything too silly or irritating, I hope? From reading various comments (before I’d actually played the game, so relying purely on the opinion of others) I recall some of the DLC I didn’t get to start with had ‘side effects’.
Personally I think M&Ms is a bit silly eith all its secret cults and strange religious nonsense. Thus I have it but have the box unchecked

Personally I think M&Ms is a bit silly eith all its secret cults and strange religious nonsense. Thus I have it but have the box unchecked
I think user comments about those aspects might have been what prevented me getting it at the time. It wasn’t a money thing. So, my vague understanding is that if you have the dlc but don’t check the box for the in game events, you can still benefit from some of the mechanical improvements (in this case the ally mechanics)? Or does it negate all effects of the dlc? (For any takers ;) )

The relevant boxes to check would have been in the "rules" section when starting your campaign.

However, most of the silliness requires your active participation to occur, generally by you joining societies such as devil worshipers or something ridiculous like that (sadly except for a secret religious group (i.e. if Rurik was Christian but merely presented as Norse, I don't k now the full rules on how stuff like that works), worshiping the dark ones is the only society available to the Norse faith.)

The relevant boxes to check would have been in the "rules" section when starting your campaign.

However, most of the silliness requires your active participation to occur, generally by you joining societies such as devil worshipers or something ridiculous like that (sadly except for a secret religious group (i.e. if Rurik was Christian but merely presented as Norse, I don't k now the full rules on how stuff like that works), worshiping the dark ones is the only society available to the Norse faith.)
Ok: to clarify then, If I purchase the dlc during an extant game (I know many do and I did in this one with Way if Life, with no seeming ill effects) but the game options are already set at the start, I’m not going to be plagued with scads of silly devil worshippers etc? I just don’t want to upset a game I’ve committed to as a long-term AAR and thus disappoint those dear readers who have been kind enough to tune in so far. :)

There will be some a.i. devil worshipers yes, but the overall impact SHOULD be low. I know at one point it was a little over the top, but it got patched. Also, if you have supernatural events turned off, that will also limit their power.

There will be some a.i. devil worshipers yes, but the overall impact SHOULD be low. I know at one point it was a little over the top, but it got patched. Also, if you have supernatural events turned off, that will also limit their power.
Very helpful indeed Locklen, from memory (on the phone right now so can’t check) I’m certain I have supernatural events switched off. Will pause and consider before the current sale finishes. :)

In theory, you could also back up your current save before you install the dlc, in case you decide you don't like the added features (very unlikely, but technically possible).

The patch toned it back significantly. Pre-patch cults were out of control. IIRC they scaled back both the max size of cults (from several hundred to I believe 99?) and did some other things to make them not quite as game breaking. Now it's barely more than an irritation in player lands; Religious Revocation tends to clear it up right quick. The AI... lacks a certain sense of purity on the other hand.

TL;DR - M&M really isn't that bad anymore. Most of the time I barely notice it is active.