• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
49 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Victoria 2 Beta

I know I shouldn’t be starting another AAR. But I feel compelled. :) This has been happening to me since 2004, when I wrote my first AAR on this Forum, and I don’t know how to shake it.

Some of you may be familiar with my currently-running Victoria 2 AAR Shining Stars. Or if you’re old enough you may remember the V2 AAR I Am Siam or HOI 3 AAR Imperio Novo, both of which were intended as an introduction to those games when they were first released (I had written the official Paradox strategy guides for them). If you’re old enough you might remember my first AAR, Fire Warms the Northern Lands, about my Victoria 1 game, where I mixed historybook and narrative genres to tell about the adventures of Prussia in the 19th Century.

With Rex Germania I’m returning to the Hohenzollern family, but in 1444, instead of 1836. And I’m hoping – no promises yet – to write some fiction scenes to go along, as I did in Fire Warms and Imperio Novo. But I’m also wanting to return to the idea of the “Strategy AAR”. Why do a Strategy AAR for a game that’s been around for 10 years? Well, partly because it’s changed so much. And partly because I don’t think I’ve seen very many AARs of this type (you’re welcome to point them out if you know of them).

I also invite participation in the strategy discussions with the readers – please (PLEASE!) provide hints to me for how to play Brandenburg in the 1400s, not just to help others, but to help me! I’ve not studied EUIV as intensely as I did EU III (which I also wrote the strategy guide for). What I’ve found, so far, is that many of the central concepts are familiar for those who’ve played EU III. But I am not intimately familiar with EU IV and so I could definitely use some advice. As could others – let’s share what we know and all learn from it!

This game is being played on v1.35.6 (Ottomans), and I have purchased the DLC subscription, so it should include all DLC content released as of last month when I started playing.

My gameplay is currently (as I start the AAR) about 15 years ahead of what I’m posting. What I’m hoping is that you can tell me what I’ve done wrong (I know some of it already), and what I should start doing, what I could do as I move forward, etc. As I write I expect the AAR will start to catch up with my gameplay so that your advice will be more current to events as they occur.

First post coming in a few minutes or hours…

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Some of you may be familiar with my currently-running Victoria 2 AAR Shining Stars. Or if you’re old enough you may remember the V2 AAR I Am Siam or HOI 3 AAR Imperio Novo, both of which were intended as an introduction to those games when they were first released (I had written the official Paradox strategy guides for them). If you’re old enough you might remember my first AAR, Fire Warms the Northern Lands, about my Victoria 1 game, where I mixed historybook and narrative genres to tell about the adventures of Prussia in the 19th Century.
Well shit, i'm old enough to remember a Milan EU3 AAR by you.
And that one is not even listed.....
Thanks for making me feel old! :)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Well shit, i'm old enough to remember a Milan EU3 AAR by you.
And that one is not even listed.....
Thanks for making me feel old! :)
Ha! @Steckie welcome!

I remember you alright - great to see you again! Good old Sforza!!! I mention that AAR in the first update which I'll post in an hour or two here.

Thanks for saying hi!

Rensslaer

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

In 1444, Brandenburg has just constructed the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. I was disappointed to learn that it wasn’t originally as grand as it was by the 1700s.

Brandenburg’s global power, too, was a bit smaller than it was destined to be. In 1444 it consisted of 8 provinces, including Berlin and Brandenburg and Potsdam. It’s pretty much all forest.

The game’s introduction to Brandenburg begins thusly, mentioning the decline of the Robber Barons under Friedrich I (the previous prince-elector), and the fact that both neighboring Poland and Bohemia have no current rulers. Bohemia’s situation is less relevant to Brandenburg in 1444, since they are a clear rival and wouldn’t accept a royal marriage entreaty if offered.

Speaking of royal marriages, and such, the current ruler of Brandenburg is Friedrich II von Hohenzollern, styled Prince Elector, which is a title of nobility and authority within the Holy Roman Empire. The HRE, of course, stretches across most of central Europe, including most of Germany, Bohemia, Austria, northern Italy and some of the Lowlands and eastern France.

The current emperor is Emperor Friedrich III of Austria.

Everything in western Europe, religiously, belongs to the Latin Catholic faith, except for a small patch of Hussite reformers in Bohemia. The Eastern Orthodox faith has many believers across central and eastern Europe, stretching into Russia. The Muslim faith stretches across Africa, and touches Europe in Anatolia and the Balkans (where the Ottomans still struggle against the remnants of the Byzantine Empire) and in Spain, where Castille faces off against Granada. As I recall, EU III started in 1492 instead, and so the landscape is different.

The immediate environs of Brandenburg in 1444 are as such… Forgive my crude map – I’m not accustomed to having to supplement Paradox maps, but the EU IV map is cluttered with unit shields until you get to such a height as to not be able to see the countries clearly. I’ve tried to outline the neighbors of prime concern while not tracing every crazy border of the Germanic lands.

Brandenburg shares borders with a number of jealous countries – potential rivals. Mecklenburg (green, and not specifically outlined) to the north. Brunswick to the west. Saxony to the south, which holds Thuringia as a junior partner (so I combined their borders). Bohemia to the south. The Teutonic Order to the northeast. The Order, alone among these countries, remains outside of the Holy Roman Empire (though a Catholic holy order). Bohemia is clearly the strongest and most threatening of these neighbors, but is also surrounded by potential enemies and thereby is a less likely foe.

Poland, meanwhile, is a relatively friendly neighbor, and quite powerful. Poland’s “field of view” is more southward focused, as she (and Hungary and Austria and Lithuania) has been quite active in fighting off the Ottoman Turks. Austria – the current seat of the Holy Roman Empire – is also relatively friendly (but equally relatively distant).

Brandenburg needs to have some carefully chosen allies, amidst all this sea of potential rivals. Speaking of rivals, we choose Teutonic Order, Saxony and Brunswick as our most obvious threats (we already have tense relations with each). We might have named Bohemia as a rival, rather than The Order. This is a choice I made because I covet Teutonic land, but not so much the Bohemian land. We’ll see.

A small power to the south – Magdeburg – has 5,000 soldiers, and is well positioned to help against either Brunswick or Saxony if need be. We arrange an alliance. We also arrange a royal marriage with Poland, whose throne is empty. This is a gambit, and maybe a gamble, that you might disagree with. I’m taking a chance, marrying into a country that’s clearly more powerful than us. But we want Poland as a friend, though we may not immediately want to be obligated by an alliance.

At this point I was still figuring out the game, and figured I would start the game running. Remarkably, nothing really happened.

Eventually, I decided to make a move against a neighbor whose land I wanted. I could have chosen anyone, because my long term goal had us expanding in four directions (roughly in a historical pattern, but not slavishly so). Stettin had the misfortune of having the wrong allies (few and weak), being small and weak themselves, and being immediately adjacent to Brandenburg.

I began building a spy network. At 26% strength it’s my understanding that I can use that network to fabricate claims against Stettin, which I can use as justification for a war of conquest (because THOSE WRETCHED STETTINIANS ARE HOLDING OUR LAND!!! – HOW DARE THEY!!!).

I’m just feeling things out, at this point, and I justify this in realism terms by thinking that Friedrich II was probably still feeling things out still IRL and might have chosen to try a little something. I did the same.

And apparently this was the same thinking elsewhere around our perimeter, because our neighbor to the south Glogow (the teal blue country) fabricated claims against Brandenburg for supposedly stealing Sternberg from her. Prince-Elector Friedrich snorts and goes about his business.

Also in August 1446 we rejected a royal marriage proposal from Luneburg (Luneburg is in the upper left of the frame above). Remember this. :D It becomes a thing… We rejected because there was nothing particular that Luneburg offered for us, and it already had heirs with strong claims, so there was little likelihood of our acquiring a claim to their throne in the near future. Thoughts? Should I have accepted?

About this time, also, I grew frustrated with the slow progress of acquiring money/ducats, and decide to try to speed stuff up. I have to grow my economy somehow – production, trade, conquest (production and trade being the more conventional methods). I decide to spend some Administrative Power on building up my tax base in Berlin.

I remember from my time in EU III (which I played for many years – my AAR Sforza!!! Itself ran for 6 years!) that building an EU economy is a slow, tedious process, and so is developing technology. There are many different things to spend points on (Diplomatic, Military, Administrative), many things to spend money on, etc.

In the EU III Strategy Guide I wrote about this. I am not good at long, tedious processes which seem to take forever. I lack patience. You will often see me disregard my own best advice because I have lost patience. I believe leaders throughout history have lacked patience with slow, tedious processes, and instead do something rash. I use this as an excuse for my behavior. :D

Anyway, this is the status of the Brandenburg economy in 1446 (and in 1444). Berlin, Brandenburg and Altmark are the most developed provinces, with Uckermark close behind. Brandenburg produces Iron, but the rest of our Principality trades primarily in cattle and textiles.

In September Poland offers us an official alliance. I hemmed and hawed and finally decided to accept. There are networks of alliance around us which means most of the directions in which we choose to expand are going to bring us into conflict with, likely, two of our enemies at once. It might be nice to have a big brother to back us up in such cases.

About this time “some shady people” visited and offered their services to improve our spy programs in other countries. I considered this quite seriously, because I was at the time trying to build spy networks in Brunswick and Saxony. But then I noticed if I refused their services Brandenburg would gain 5 Prestige. Well… That’s no contest. Prestige is the name of the game. Well… One of the names of the game. Brandenburg’s prestige increases to 9.

Remember the importance of Prestige (not trying to patronize veteran players, just saying remember this…), because you’ll see it matter quite a bit later in this AAR. Prestige adds greatly to a number of things you see listed there – relations, diplomacy, whose heir gains the throne, military morale, trade power. Yes – Prestige. Let’s grab some.

I’m hoping to get more prestige through conquering some territory, as well as to add some to our economy. In mid-October I declare war based on our fabricated claims, and our armies march. I’m calling no allies because I don’t want to share the spoils, and my army should be sufficient to knock this minor power down.

Another “name of the game” is Stability – it’s CRITICALLY important, and has effects that spread to every aspect of your game. I notice that I’d spent some points (Administrative I’m pretty sure) to increase Brandenburg’s Stability.

That’s it for now. What do you think? What major mistakes am I making, what opportunities missed? What tricks do you use that I might make use of? Is there something obvious I’ve missed? Let’s talk strategy. What strategy questions do you have for me? Anything that doesn’t make sense in what I did and you’d like an explanation? It may be that I know something I can pass along, or it could be you know something you could pass along to me and others.

This should be fun! Comments, please!

(Sorry - I notice some of my screenshots have silly errors - I will fix this soon)

Rensslaer

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I welcome a new AAR. With a discussion of how you and others play.

Mostly because I too am old and that is how I learned to play the game in the first place......(other than trial and error)

I think there is an event that will let you buy Neumark from Teutonic order.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, you're playing as Brandenburg, and it's a paradox game, so I'm sure the conquest of Europe occurs swiftly.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Excellent to see this, Renss! I might be able to help a little as I've recently done a bit of play with Brandenburg myself, though without many of the DLCs attached. My first advice would be to not ignore those northern provinces bordering the Baltic Sea. I made a great mistake making them allies early and it became hell trying to get a northern port (which is really important for trade.) Also, I applaud you getting the alliance with Poland. I did not and regretted it the rest of the way.

I think there is an event that will let you buy Neumark from Teutonic order.
And this is quite true. It fires fairly early, as I recall, and will pull you away from the T.O. You'll need those lands eventually for Prussia but that is not for a long time.

Finally, yes. The time it takes to really build your economy is almost excruciating but it will eventually pay off if you are smart how you allocate your various points to increasing the local provinces and research at the same time. Be smart about it.

I'll be watching this. Brandenburg is always one of my favorites to play and read about.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I also invite participation in the strategy discussions with the readers – please (PLEASE!) provide hints to me for how to play Brandenburg in the 1400s, not just to help others, but to help me!
Well, I did a Brandenburg game semi-recently. Will definitely follow this and see if I can give you (or others) any advice.
Speaking of rivals, we choose Teutonic Order, Saxony and Brunswick as our most obvious threats (we already have tense relations with each). We might have named Bohemia as a rival, rather than The Order. This is a choice I made because I covet Teutonic land, but not so much the Bohemian land. We’ll see.
Good choices as rivals. But if you want Teutonic land, then Poland is going to become an enemy.
At this point I was still figuring out the game, and figured I would start the game running. Remarkably, nothing really happened.
Did you set your countries of interest (the little letter button above the top-right of the minimap)? Very helpful in seeing what other countries are doing.
At 26% strength it’s my understanding that I can use that network to fabricate claims
The usual formula is 20, then +5 for each extra claim against the same nation. But since you're in the HRE, it has an extra cost (+33% of the base 20 I think).
we rejected a royal marriage proposal from Luneburg (Luneburg is in the upper left of the frame above). Remember this. :D It becomes a thing… We rejected because there was nothing particular that Luneburg offered for us
I agree with that decision. Luneburg is small. Brandenburg is strong enough to ally with larger nations in case of war.
About this time, also, I grew frustrated with the slow progress of acquiring money/ducats, and decide to try to speed stuff up. I have to grow my economy somehow – production, trade, conquest (production and trade being the more conventional methods). I decide to spend some Administrative Power on building up my tax base in Berlin.
Devving is a good way to grow your economy, but is not vitally important at this stage of the game. Development should be saved for when you are ahead on tech/ideas and are about to hit the points cap.

Each type of development (admin, diplo, mil) also has specific strengths/weaknesses and stuff that it affects which is important for growth. But since it is your first game, this part is less important. I didn't even really figure that out until roughly a year ago.
Remember the importance of Prestige (not trying to patronize veteran players, just saying remember this…), because you’ll see it matter quite a bit later in this AAR. Prestige adds greatly to a number of things you see listed there – relations, diplomacy, whose heir gains the throne, military morale, trade power. Yes – Prestige. Let’s grab some.
A very good point. Prestige is very important, but especially in the HRE.
I notice that I’d spent some points (Administrative I’m pretty sure) to increase Brandenburg’s Stability.
Correct.
That’s it for now. What do you think? What major mistakes am I making, what opportunities missed? What tricks do you use that I might make use of? Is there something obvious I’ve missed? Let’s talk strategy. What strategy questions do you have for me? Anything that doesn’t make sense in what I did and you’d like an explanation? It may be that I know something I can pass along, or it could be you know something you could pass along to me and others.
Did you have any specific goals for this game? Was there something you wanted to achieve (like forming Prussia)? Or was this mostly a learning experience?

A tip for playing in the HRE (for you or anyone else): Try and ally the Emperor. If you can't it's not the end of your game, but it is incredibly useful for avoiding the main malice for taking HRE land, "Unlawful Territory".

Reactions:
This should be fun! (and I can sympathize with having too many AARs)

That alliance with Poland might prove useful, especially if you end up attacking the Teutonic Order for their Prussian lands.

Will you attempt to form Germany?

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
One suggestion that I have is to at least guarantee Ansbach down south in Franconia. Its current ruler Albrecht Achilles is also your current heir and if the game goes properly there should be an event on Frederich’s death that gives you a PU over it and Bayreuth.

This is a big IF though as the game treats your heir and their ruler as two separate people and the devs never bothered to tie them together the way they did Laudislaus Postumous von Hapsburg, and since Albrecht is only a few years younger than Frederich there’s a chance that he (or rather one of the two Albrechts!) predeceases him and the event just up and breaks.

Still probably worth a shot though.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
One suggestion that I have is to at least guarantee Ansbach down south in Franconia. Its current ruler Albrecht Achilles is also your current heir and if the game goes properly there should be an event on Frederich’s death that gives you a PU over it and Bayreuth.

This is a big IF though as the game treats your heir and their ruler as two separate people and the devs never bothered to tie them together the way they did Laudislaus Postumous von Hapsburg, and since Albrecht is only a few years younger than Frederich there’s a chance that he (or rather one of the two Albrechts!) predeceases him and the event just up and breaks.

Still probably worth a shot though.
Yes....

That is how it happened. :D

I probably won't represent it in the game/story, because it's just not comprehensible, but Achilles died and the evil twin did not.

Rensslaer

Reactions:
my AAR Sforza!!! Itself ran for 6 years!
So we're shooting for 7 years with this one, right? ;)

Always happy to see your AARs. I'm glad you gave in to the temptation and started another one! I'm a fan of strategy AARs in particular; I enjoy being able to sit in on the authAARs thought process and discuss what's going on. I always end up learning new things about the game that would've taken me ages to figure out on my own.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for all of your comments! I will do detailed feedback-to-feedback soon. But I have a question/need first...

Search engines being what they are, if I search for information on, say, Friedrich II, I'm liable to get 30 articles that contain the same basic information, and am not quite sure how to evaluate much of the rest. I would like to research the personalities of various historical figures from this period so that I might represent them in narrative fiction scenes occasionally.

Can someone point me to good, detailed sources of biographical information that comes somewhere between a Wikipedia article and a whole book? Is there a particular site of note for good biographical information on German historical figures (in English)? I've found the occasional gem out there, but it's hard searching, and I do usually have to pull up 30 articles to get one with good information.

Thank you!

Rensslaer

• 1Like
Reactions:
Start with Wikipedia and then the sources cited

Reactions:
Start with Wikipedia and then the sources cited
That's the problem - Wikipedia is mostly useless for more obscure figures (Prince-Elector Friedrich II among them). The Wikipedia article has some slight detail, but only 4 citations (2 in German, and one a broken link). The working citation in English is one paragraph that largely restates what Wikipedia had.

I'm looking for maybe an English-language site on German history and biographical figures - one that is maybe written by German amateur scholars in English. I ran across one once, and need to find it again.

I also think there's a thread in AARLand with links to historical sources such as this, but I haven't had time to look for it yet.

Thank you!

Rensslaer

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's the problem - Wikipedia is mostly useless for more obscure figures (Prince-Elector Friedrich II among them). The Wikipedia article has some slight detail, but only 4 citations (2 in German, and one a broken link). The working citation in English is one paragraph that largely restates what Wikipedia had.

I'm looking for maybe an English-language site on German history and biographical figures - one that is maybe written by German amateur scholars in English. I ran across one once, and need to find it again.

I also think there's a thread in AARLand with links to historical sources such as this, but I haven't had time to look for it yet.

Thank you!

Rensslaer
I just checked the wiki and it's not too bad. It depends on how much detail you want. You'd have to really invest in some books if you want to dig deep, but it may also be that not that much is known. I run across it all the time when trying to get to the bottom of who is who in 15th century England. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good to see you at it in a new AAR old friend. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just checked the wiki and it's not too bad. It depends on how much detail you want. You'd have to really invest in some books if you want to dig deep, but it may also be that not that much is known. I run across it all the time when trying to get to the bottom of who is who in 15th century England. ;)
Well, I wouldn't have been able to flesh out Kaiser Friedrich III or Louis Napoleon in Fire Warms without more information than what's there for Prince-Elector Friedrich II.

I had little to go on for some historical figures, and so I just made them into who I wanted them to be. But for a main character I'd like a little more information. I've actually searched high and low for good research material on Kaiser Wilhelm I and it's actually difficult to find, even in books, in English. I have a biography of him in German, but my understanding of German is... halting.

Rensslaer

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll be following this one, Rensslaer! I'm eager to learn more about EU4's game mechanics, plus there are mechanics that I am aware of but keep forgetting to utilize, such as setting provinces of vital interest (which was mentioned above). Keep forgetting to do it.

I'm hesitant to play in the tangle of the HRE, and my Europe experience is limited to two games on the periphery of Europe, one as Spain and a completed one as the Ottomans when Domination came out.

Reactions: