• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Isn't there an equivalent to the shattered realm concept for EU also? I've always wanted to try something like that but have not enough time to play so I haven't gotten around to it.
There's no in-game option for this. But there's probably a mod out there somewhere if you go looking. Closest EU4 features would be the custom nationn designer or random new world.

You could also create a shattered world game in CK2 (and use the arrows on the start date screen to get to 1444), then use the converter to port into EU4 with no changes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There's no in-game option for this. But there's probably a mod out there somewhere if you go looking. Closest EU4 features would be the custom nationn designer or random new world.

You could also create a shattered world game in CK2 (and use the arrows on the start date screen to get to 1444), then use the converter to port into EU4 with no changes.

That would give you the CK2 part of the map randomised. So Europe, Scandinavia, west Asia and India, plus most of Africa. Everything else would be as per standard EUIV start. If you picked random new world, that would also presumably randomise the Americas both geographically and states wise. Leaving just south east Asia and China un randomised.

• 1Like
Reactions:

I was forgetting that the existing EU option was a random "New World" -- not the whole thing.

That would give you the CK2 part of the map randomised. So Europe, Scandinavia, west Asia and India, plus most of Africa. Everything else would be as per standard EUIV start. If you picked random new world, that would also presumably randomise the Americas both geographically and states wise. Leaving just south east Asia and China un randomised.

But a scrambled country map (or even continental map) might be quite a fascinating game! Ahh, sadly, I can only do so many games with my current schedule. :)

So... I apologize for the extended hiatus. I'd meant to follow with the next gameplay update, which is mostly ready. But I realized that the narrative scene that I'd like to do would have to go before the next gameplay activities, and so I must concoct this.

Additionally, I am quite determined to republish my first actual novel, which has been out of print. I've added new cover art and fixed a handful of typos and missed loose strings. And I've now laid the whole thing out afresh using an open-source publishing program so that I don't have to throw money at Adobe again. This has all taken some time. I'm finalizing chapter 28 of 32, so close enough. Then I have to navigate the details of the Amazon platform. And maybe do so for their Barnes & Noble equivalent. Anyway. Once this is out of the way I'll get the fiction scene done and we'll be back on track.

Thank you for your readership and support!

Rensslaer

• 2Like
Reactions:
Dear Readers -

I apologize for being busy lately. We just had a new granddaughter born, and I'll be flying out to see her. I was also ill briefly with a bad cold and I've been working on my fiction writing IRL.

I'm feeling fine now. I have an update 2/3 complete and I just need time to assemble the last 2-3 screenshots for it. Hoping to have some time while I wait for the plane.

Also - some big news! Many on this forum have asked about my fiction writing -- the epic fantasy novel I've published and the two others in the series I'm working on. I have finally republished the original novel on Amazon. I can't post a link here, but my writing blog is linked in my profile and anyone could go search for Edwin Hanks Author or my novel called Uprooted on Amazon. It has NEW cover art (kind of embarrassed about the old art!) and I'm very proud of that, and the writing in the book.

I thank everyone for your support, and hope to be back in business with this AAR soon -- maybe tomorrow, maybe in a couple of weeks, depending how much time I have.

Thank you!

Rensslaer

Reactions:

First, let me apologize suggesting I might post a narrative fiction scene next. It just got to be too hard to plan and it was delaying everything. I’ve decided to forego the planned scene and I may include a fiction scene later on.

I’m going to step back just a bit to cover a couple things I forgot to mention at the end of the last update.

In 1448 (no surprise to many of you, I’m sure), the Ottomans conquered Byzantium.

Friedrich II received emissaries from the Teutonic Order who were offering to sell the two provinces of the Neumark back to Brandenburg. Neumark had been unwisely sold to the Teutonic Order in 1402, but had been somewhat of a lawless territory. Now it promised to be a new area of expansion for Brandenburg.

The only difficulty was it would cost 100 ducats, and that was more than Brandenburg had on had. It was decided this was important enough to take out loans. It took three loans, as it happened. Friedrich II was unhappy with the need for loans, but judged it was necessary. The Treaty of Cölln was finalized in March of 1449.

Neumark is not particularly well developed. The former Brandenburgian government had ignored the region, and so had mostly the Order. Their primary industry is livestock. But the land could be developed with the right attention, and it is a step in the right direction toward expanding Brandenburg’s borders.

Brandenburg’s interests had been relatively provincial. But a shockwave from a more distant land had to be noted as of import. Muscovy’s long war with Novgorod came to an end with the annexation of 12 provinces. This destroyed a Baltic trade league (an important thing for Brandenburg), and catapulted Muscovy into the ranks of great powers.

I take note that Muscovy now has a port on the Baltic Sea. That means they may have to factor into our future strategic considerations.

With the accession of Neumark, Brandenburg has staked its claim on a portion of Pommerania. This expands Brandenburg’s claims to include all of Wolgast.

Tensions increased immediately. In June 1450 Friedrich II decided it was time to break the tension with action.
War was declared, and the Brandenburger armies marched…

The Wolgastian army remained in their capital at the beginning of the war. Not wanting to directly attack there, we first besieged the eastern coast at Kolberg and Stolp. Only once the Wolgastians began to move did we depart, leaving a garrison in place, and march to meet them. Seeing this they retreated back to their capital.

In August 1450 Gen. Bühler engaged in the capital city with Gen. von und zu Stargard, and Brandenburgian arms quickly began to tell.

By mid-August the Wolgastian army had been beaten and surrendered. The siege of the capital city began. By the end of September the rest of the country was under Brandenburg’s control, and Brandenburg began splitting armies in order to cover contingencies (armies marked in red circles).

We had the additional benefits that Gen. Bühler was now considered an “inspirational leader” (+5 morale, +10% morale recovery), and Friedrich II meanwhile had acquired the “Midas Touched” trait, adding +10% to our Tax Modifier.

We rejected another proposal of marriage from Lüneburg.

We recruited a new general – Friedrich Wilhelm Cisielsky – to manage our western army as it took on the smaller army of Wolgast’s ally Saxe-Lauenburg.

Both Bühler and Cisielsky had acceptable stats, Cisielsky being especially competent at Maneuver, neither of these leaders would take Brandenburg to the top ranks of Europe’s armies. Hmph.

No particular matter for the moment – the Saxon armies were not Europe’s best either (their general had 3 fire, but we had better luck and Morale stats).

Now, Wolgast retained one key advantage at this point. The island of Rügen remained in their hands, and their port maintained a navy – something which Brandenburg had heretofore had no need of.

They used this fleet to move a newly raised army to sea. We noticed this, and quickly shifted forces east in expectation of a coastal landing. Gen. Cisielsky met Gen. von und zu Stargard on the beaches when they landed – an inauspicious result of a clever gambit that had been anticipated.

As a result (??) Gen. Cisielsky gained the “Master of Arms” trait, giving +10% Infantry Combat Ability.

By Christmas we had defeated this invasion, and the siege continued.

Then our allies assist us… Which is a little embarrassing, but welcome at the same time.

First, the Saxe-Lauenburg army which was licking its wounds in Mecklenburg, after their defeat, was engaged by our ally Magdeburg’s Gen. Zimmerhäckel.

Then, we failed to notice the second time Wolgast prepared a naval invasion. They landed at Stolp in the spring, and our forces there were defeated. Then Zimmerhäckel marched to the rescue again, and had his second victory of the war.

The siege of Wolgast lasted until the summer. But victory – despite annoyances – was certain.

Brandenburg had taken losses, to be sure. But our Prestige was up to 33, and our Power Projection to 15.

We controlled five provinces, now, on the Baltic Coast, including much of Pommerania. Friedrich II was pretty chuffed – this was the kind of Brandenburg he wanted, and it was seeming easy to have his way. Not that he was a warmonger. No. But he wished for a powerful Brandenburg to have its status in the Holy Roman Empire, such that it was a leader, as the Prince-Elector deserved.

And, yes, it had succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

The accomplishment of the Show of Strength mission, and the Pommeranian Succession mission sets Brandenburg up for more expansion in the future.

And more conflict, of course.

Having tipped these certain dominos, it made others in northern Germany think of Brandenburg as a solution to other problems, and as an heir to various claims of old. Brandenburg was clearly on the rise.

Where would Friedrich choose to go next? And how long would he wait before going?

Thoughts?

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Congrats on your new conquests.

Will that debt come back to bite you? Did you demand any gold for your military victories?

Reactions:
Congrats on your new conquests.

Will that debt come back to bite you? Did you demand any gold for your military victories?

Actually... I don't remember if I had to forego monetary damages for this because I asked for so much land, or if I did ask for money.

I'll have to look back at the screenshots.

Thanks @HistoryDude for the comment, and for your readership!

Rensslaer

Reactions:
Pomerania is a good power base to help you build up your trade and navy. With that, and Poland as a powerful ally, you can really start expanding.
Where would Friedrich choose to go next?
I'm guessing you continue west into Mecklenburg and Lubeck. Maybe you'll eventually challenge Denmark as well.

Reactions:
That's a great get in Pomerania. Now build some ships with that coastline to at least get into the trading action. As for another direction, I'd stick to the coast and try to get what you can before Denmark gets greedy. I'd say there is plenty of time to deal with Bohemia, et al at a later date.

Reactions:
I haven't played much EU4 so I don't know what's typical, but that expansion by Muscovy definitely gets my attention. I wonder if it's usual for their border to be that far west already? I suppose that could be a good thing, though. A strong Muscovy pushing west should inevitably come into conflict with Lithuania, and the two of them fighting each other to distraction would leave Brandenburg much freer to expand east, so long as neither gains the upper hand. I'd probably look to take some more of the coastal provinces to the immediate north while keeping an eye on the East and waiting for an opportunity to go after the Teutonic Order.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pomerania is a good power base to help you build up your trade and navy. With that, and Poland as a powerful ally, you can really start expanding.

I'm guessing you continue west into Mecklenburg and Lubeck. Maybe you'll eventually challenge Denmark as well.
That's a great get in Pomerania. Now build some ships with that coastline to at least get into the trading action. As for another direction, I'd stick to the coast and try to get what you can before Denmark gets greedy. I'd say there is plenty of time to deal with Bohemia, et al at a later date.
I haven't played much EU4 so I don't know what's typical, but that expansion by Muscovy definitely gets my attention. I wonder if it's usual for their border to be that far west already? I suppose that could be a good thing, though. A strong Muscovy pushing west should inevitably come into conflict with Lithuania, and the two of them fighting each other to distraction would leave Brandenburg much freer to expand east, so long as neither gains the upper hand. I'd probably look to take some more of the coastal provinces to the immediate north while keeping an eye on the East and waiting for an opportunity to go after the Teutonic Order.

One way or another I think @jak7139 , @coz1 and @VILenin are all recommending targeting maybe Mecklenburg next. Though @VILenin mentions the Teutonic Order as a likely later target.

I'm not going to comment on this. I'll let the next update speak for itself. But all good advice.

Oh wow, another Rensslaer AAR! Your Vicky 1 Prussia story is still my favorite on these forums. Following this one with interest too.
@Legosim - great to see you again! And Welcome to this AAR! It's funny, you and @RisKFactoR are two of my fans who came to Fire Warms the Northern Lands late -- it was already complete by the time you both joined! But very glad to have your support. I saw your comment in Fire Warms about my wanting to publish Fire Warms as a novel. I still have that as an ongoing project, and go over it from time to time. It would involve expanding the story. I'm likely to start with the "Waldemar Accession" miniseries, turning it into a novel, and then I could build other parts onto it. I have "Waldemar Accession" and the other "miniseries" I did in Fire Warms which involved Kaiser Wilhelm II and a French plot in Egypt. I've planned out both of those, more or less.

Anyway, you can always find all of my published novels (which so far is just one epic fantasy novel) if you Google "Edwin Hanks Author". The fantasy novel is entitled Uprooted.

Glad to have everybody's readership! I'm finding that it's difficult to get work done on AARs while taking care of 2 grandkids. But I'll get back to it soon. Thank you to everybody who's reading! Any lurkers out there?

Rensslaer

• 1Love
Reactions:
One way or another I think @jak7139 , @coz1 and @VILenin are all recommending targeting maybe Mecklenburg next. Though @VILenin mentions the Teutonic Order as a likely later target.

I'm not going to comment on this. I'll let the next update speak for itself. But all good advice.

@Legosim - great to see you again! And Welcome to this AAR! It's funny, you and @RisKFactoR are two of my fans who came to Fire Warms the Northern Lands late -- it was already complete by the time you both joined! But very glad to have your support. I saw your comment in Fire Warms about my wanting to publish Fire Warms as a novel. I still have that as an ongoing project, and go over it from time to time. It would involve expanding the story. I'm likely to start with the "Waldemar Accession" miniseries, turning it into a novel, and then I could build other parts onto it. I have "Waldemar Accession" and the other "miniseries" I did in Fire Warms which involved Kaiser Wilhelm II and a French plot in Egypt. I've planned out both of those, more or less.

Anyway, you can always find all of my published novels (which so far is just one epic fantasy novel) if you Google "Edwin Hanks Author". The fantasy novel is entitled Uprooted.

Glad to have everybody's readership! I'm finding that it's difficult to get work done on AARs while taking care of 2 grandkids. But I'll get back to it soon. Thank you to everybody who's reading! Any lurkers out there?

Rensslaer
I took a screen shot of this post! I would be more than happy to make a purchase of any novels you write, in order to help support a real artist.

Lol, one of my very first posts in this forum was in A Fire Warms, and I haven't posted very much since then. I'm mostly a lurker, both before i actually registered an account about 13 years ago, and since.

But yeah, really glad to see you're still active!

• 2Love
Reactions:
I can’t pretend to know enough about EUIV to offer much useful advice (part of one game played does not an expert make) but things seem to be going pretty well so far. How big a problem repaying the debt will be may govern how much more quick expansion vs consolidation of recent gains may be in order. Especially if building a small navy becomes an objective.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I took a screen shot of this post! I would be more than happy to make a purchase of any novels you write, in order to help support a real artist.

Lol, one of my very first posts in this forum was in A Fire Warms, and I haven't posted very much since then. I'm mostly a lurker, both before i actually registered an account about 13 years ago, and since.

But yeah, really glad to see you're still active!

@RisKFactoR thank you for your support over all these years! Glad to see you're active also. Welcome!

I can’t pretend to know enough about EUIV to offer much useful advice (part of one game played does not an expert make) but things seem to be going pretty well so far. How big a problem repaying the debt will be may govern how much more quick expansion vs consolidation of recent gains may be in order. Especially if building a small navy becomes an objective.

@Bullfilter I agree things seem to be going pretty well. And yes, I do need to get a navy going. But at this point I was still a little unclear how big a problem the loans would be (or would become). Money generation just seems so slow at this point. :( How to fund the navy is another problem.

I just updated Silver Stars (V2) and I'll get to this one next. Hoping to have an update done this week. Also hoping to actually resume playing EU IV now that I've caught up on this somewhat. I'd been holding off since I didn't want to be too far ahead in gameplay of where I am in the AAR.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Rensslaer

• 3Like
Reactions:
Money generation just seems so slow at this point.
I did warn you. ;)

You have to invest in your provinces even if it takes away from R&D. It is a fine line where you place those points. For me, I go for production first, then taxation and then military/manpower. I'm sure others are far better attuned to the game, but that helped my last Brandenburg play.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
You have to invest in your provinces even if it takes away from R&D. It is a fine line where you place those points. For me, I go for production first, then taxation and then military/manpower. I'm sure others are far better attuned to the game, but that helped my last Brandenburg play.
It does feel like a balancing act in regard to your points and how you spend them. However, it's not as bad as it used to be. Being able to abdicate to get a (potentially) better ruler or upgrading advisors has helped with that.

For me, I like to wait until I'm about to hit the points cap, then develop my cheapest province. I usually go mil, then production, then tax.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@coz1 and @jak7139 thank you for your comments!

I apologize for not having a new update. On a whim I've thrown myself into research for a novelization of Fire Warms. I'm deep into research into the Napoleonic Wars for background.

I'll be back at this soon.

Rensslaer

P.s. To expand on this thought... It would be easy for me to novelize the existing portions but I want to do more than that. Logically I feel the need to pick it up during the Napoleonic Wars when Wilhelm I was a soldier and when his views of risks and possibilities for Prussia were first developed.

Everything about his outlook is dependent on Napoleon's subjugation of Prussia and wanting that never to be possible again.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Okay, full disclosure on the delay... Yes, I've been working on research for a novelization of my Prussia story.

But I'm also a little lost for the next update. I have 1/2 of it completely prepared to post. And I just can't figure out where to END the last half. I have a muddle of things, none of which stand out. So in desperation I've been just going through 7 years of screenshots and annotating what's coming up. The benefit of this is it'll help me to craft future updates -- they're already halfway prepared. But I'm just having trouble putting the final dot on this particular update.

I am working on it. Thank you for your readership! Any lurkers want to post encouragement to help me along???

Rensslaer

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am working on it. Thank you for your readership! Any lurkers want to post encouragement to help me along???
Sorting through screenshots is definitely the hardest part of AAR writing for me. In many cases, it's a question of where/how to begin. I think my next AAR will be a megacampaign I started in CK2, but I've barely done any sorting on the hundreds of pictures I took.

If you keep working at it, I'm sure you'll find a good solution. Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions: