• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, Bertran did a lot of expansion, so he has that going for him. In general, though, rulers named "the Foolish" are... probably not that great.

Letting the incestuous adulterer be his heir? What was he thinking?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, Bertran did a lot of expansion, so he has that going for him. In general, though, rulers named "the Foolish" are... probably not that great.

Letting the incestuous adulterer be his heir? What was he thinking?
Quite. But it ended up not too bad after all. Turns out the vassals didn't revolt for instance. :D

Reactions:
Chapter VII - Reign of Emperor Lancelin I
Welcome back, class. Today’s lecture will cover the fourty year long reign of Lancelin I, who oversaw the blooming of the Normannian Empire, forever transforming the realm from somewhat wealthy, to overly wealthy. He was 44 years old when he inherited the throne and wouldn’t leave his mortal coil before he was 84.

WeraFOH.png

The first years of his reign was a lighting campaign in Iberia. First he concluded the war he had inherited from his father, with France. France was humiliated. Then he proceded to wage war on the kingdom of Castille, cutting the kingdom in half in the process.

Mister Butterfly! I do not want to see such behavior in my class again! Consider this a warning!

Ahem. Right. Then Lancelin I went ahead and solved a problem. The problem of Andalucia. Her vassal queen was a treacherous woman, causing headache for the Emperor. Thankfully, she was also a woman with appetite for other women’s husbands, and this was used as an excuse to imprison her and then revoke her kingdom, now under the care of Lancelin I. Thus a powerful vassal was no longer a problem.

By this time only the duchy of Barcelona, the Empires of Francia and Normannia as well as limp Castille was left independent in Iberia. Soon, Barcelona was part of Normannia too, and then Castille too fell to Lancelin’s armies.

On June 6th, 1340 AD, Lancelin I was crowned by the Pope himself in Palermo as Emperor of Hispania. He was now a Dual Emperor, the most powerful man in Christendom. In celebration, he ordered the founding of the University of Coimbra. And then went to war for the kingdom of Sardegna e Corsica, which was controlling parts of North Africa, as well as Corsica and Sardinia. He won easily.

Lewis! Don’t you dare snore in my classes!

Right, where was I? Ah, yes. Filled with pride and eagerness after all these successes, Lancelin I would meet his first defeat. The Pope called for a crusade for Mesopotamia, the first of many. And this one would not end well. The Emperor sent his entire might to claim Mesopotamia for Christ. And lost the entire force in a series of defeats. Limping back, dealing with his unruly vassals, the crusade was soon lost. But Lancelin kept his vassals in line and licked his wounds.

Not long after, he founded the University of Madrid and then he declared war on the Empire of Francia for the duchy of Aragon – and won handily. In 1352 he was hit by personal tragedy though, as his son and heir Lancelin died of what was probably cancer, at the age of 57. His new heir was now his grandson Hamelin, aged 39.

Not one to rest on his laurels, however personally devastated, Lancelin I then laid his eyes on the Byzantine Empire. He declared war on the Eastern Empire in late 1355, claiming the duchy of Syrte. Half his forces went towards Syrte and the provinces in Egypt, while the main force under his personal command went straight for Constantinople. On March 30th, 1356 – almost on the month 100 years after the Mongol War started, Constantinople fell to Normannian forces, and the war was over.

Mr. Pip, will you please wake up young Butterfly for me?

Ahem. Then, luck struck. A technicality in the peace treaty was discovered merely two months after the peace was made, rendering the whole truce null and void. So the Emperor declared war again, this time for the duchy of Cyrenaica. Again half the force was sent for the war goal, while the Emperor lead his men to siege Constantinople anew. As the City of Cities was about to fall, the Byzantine Emperor gave in to save his capital from another ravaging, and Normannia won again.

iCQLE0i.png

This would be the last war of Emperor Lancelin I. He died on August 28th, 1360, after 40 years of rule, aged 83. His grandson Hamelin I succeeded him, aged 47. Lancelin had accomplished much, greatly expanding his realm, attaining another Emperor title. And not the least, he had overseen a blossoming of the economy never before seen. When he ascended the throne, the monthly surplus was around 60 gold coins. When he died, the surplus was over 200 gold coins a month. When he started his reign, he had command over 45k troops. When he died, this had soared to over 95k troops. He left his realm in a much better state than he got it.

sPisdSC.png

l9IJPUo.png

Alright, that was all for today. Next lesson will be on Emperor Hamelin I, a much less busy reign. Please read pages 356 to 398. And will someone please wake up young Butterfly again?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Note on the map: Jazira is the Christian kingdom of Syria, which has changed name for whatever reason. :)

Reactions:
For some reason the deva gave Hertfordshire a lovely purple colour and made them super strong so that in spectator and dar away player games, they paint brittania purple. Delightful.

Reactions:
Hereford snaking its way to dominance over the British isles is very funny to see.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Mr. Pip, will you please wake up young Butterfly for me?
I can do, I've sharpened my Butterfly poking stick, but do you think it wise? Things go a great deal smoother without his interruptions.

The omens for Hamelin aren't great. Traditionally it is the 3rd generation that ruins everything the previous two built, but maybe that only applies to businesses and not medieval empires?

Reactions:
I can do, I've sharpened my Butterfly poking stick,

Poking butterflies is surely against animal cruelty laws. At least whilst they are alive. When they are dead it is a most celebrated practice, so I'm told.

but do you think it wise? Things go a great deal smoother without his interruptions.

How festive! A dad's army reference.

Well the jury is out on that. I would however suggest that so long as a pip AAR is active, all my incendiary comments and topics are reserved for his work. Everyone else just benefits from my numbers and wisdom.o_O

Mister Butterfly! I do not want to see such behavior in my class again! Consider this a warning!

Sir, the lady and I are just good friends...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
*quietly leaves an apple on Nikolai's desk*

• 1Haha
Reactions:
For some reason the deva gave Hertfordshire a lovely purple colour and made them super strong so that in spectator and dar away player games, they paint brittania purple. Delightful.
They fit quite neatly on the map don't you think. :)
Hereford snaking its way to dominance over the British isles is very funny to see.
Lovely. :D
I can do, I've sharpened my Butterfly poking stick, but do you think it wise? Things go a great deal smoother without his interruptions.

The omens for Hamelin aren't great. Traditionally it is the 3rd generation that ruins everything the previous two built, but maybe that only applies to businesses and not medieval empires?
Hmmm, good point.

Hamelin is not great like the rest of them, but thankfully nothing collapses.
Sir, the lady and I are just good friends...
Sure, but when in my class...
Who was strong enough to win the crusade? Thank you for updating, God Bless you and may 2021 be better than 2020.
The crusades was lost. Thanks a lot and same to you!
*quietly leaves an apple on Nikolai's desk*
Mmmmmm, thanks! Best student ever.

Reactions:
@Nikolai, since @Cora Giantkiller (the brown noser) brought you an apple to keep the doctor away, I am bringing you an onion to keep everyone away. Also, if your tears keep you from seeing the errors in my paper, life will be almost perfect. Be safe, professor!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
@Nikolai, since @Cora Giantkiller (the brown noser) brought you an apple to keep the doctor away, I am bringing you an onion to keep everyone away. Also, if your tears keep you from seeing the errors in my paper, life will be almost perfect. Be safe, professor!
I don't even...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Reactions:
Heh, when you die and your grandson is 47 years old...

That is one impressive Empire though. And I must say, for a sisterhumping bastards, Lancelin did well.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Heh, when you die and your grandson is 47 years old...

That is one impressive Empire though. And I must say, for a sisterhumping bastards, Lancelin did well.
By this point the expansion is limited by 1) possibility of rebellion when an emperor is weak, like the previous ruler, 2) peace treaties, 3) claims and 4) whether I bother expanding and not improving my lands. At this point I get like 20k gold within short time even with improving my domain a LOT and building cities etc.
A future ruler may or may not initiate building over 40 settlements in one year...

Well, then. Tonight I played the campaign to the end, and discovered I couldn't continue after the end date. I thought I could. :( But I have much in store for you!

Reactions:
Well, then. Tonight I played the campaign to the end, and discovered I couldn't continue after the end date. I thought I could. :( But I have much in store for you!

You can. You have to tick the box in the rules menu at game setup (so you have to do it before the game starts properly).

Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So I can't do it from a save then?

Don't think so? I think it was in the game setup rules, but might be an option elsewhere.

But it can be done in concept So Google it? So I guess running a spectator game could literally last forever, or at least a very long time.

• 1Haha
Reactions: