• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I - Normannia 101
  • Welcome to Normannia 101. As you know, this collection of lectures will cover mainly the reign of Emperor Guy I and onwards. Although we will get into his predecessors and the world at large during these next weeks.

Professor Monroe and I will of course require your coming assignment to be written by the standards stipulated by the university. That means you too, Lewis. I was most disappointed in your last paper.

Ahem. Well. Let’s start with February 7th, 1215. The day the Empire of Normannia was born. How did the world look at this point? Normannia was, of course, one of the most powerful entities in the Christian world, but she was not without equal.

Let’s look at the world of the de Hautevilles at this juncture in time, shall we?

BU94G41.png

Normannia. Until recently the quite powerful kingdom of Sicily. It’s humble beginnings started in 1086 when Robert “the Fox” with papal blessing created it. After this, successive kings – with Emperor Guy being the fifth king of Sicily, had slowly grown the realm to include much of Northern Africa.

After Robert came Bohemond I, followed by Bohemond II. The latter fought the powerful Almoravids and won his initial war against them against immense odds. Luck, perhaps. But definitely also skill. He would later take out half of the Almoravids’ realm in a successful invasion between participating in a successful crusade.

Then came Guy I of Sicily. That would be the father of Emperor Guy I, who thus was the second king Guy of Sicily. His reign was relatively short, only ten years, before he died under mysterious circumstances. He did improve the economy and military might of the realm, though.

Lewis! Young Butterfly! Pay attention!

Ahem. Right.

These five kings also dominated the crusades at the time. Already in 1137, a Hauteville, king Alfons I, was placed on the throne of Jerusalem by king Bohemond II, the first of many crusades where Hautevilles would be enthroned.

Barely a few decades later, in 1161, king Odo I would be placed on the throne of Syria by the same Bohemond II. Both kingdoms were in 1215 doing well for themselves, especially Jerusalem, which had conquered Mecca and Medina.

Then you have the kingdom of Andalusia, which is interesting in how it was conquered not once, but twice by first Guy I of Sicily and then the then Guy II of Sicily, both times enthroning their relative Turquetil I. First time was in 1181, before a popular Muslim revolt destroyed the kingdom in 1188. But in 1193 in another crusade Turquetil was again placed on the throne. This kingdom is in 1215 lost to the de Hautevilles, with an Italian of another dynasty taking the reins. Still, good relations existed between Normannia and Andalusia.

Lastly of the crusader states born by Norman arms are the kingdom of Valencia. Only five years old at the time of the rise of the Empire, it was conquered in 1210 and ruled by the Hauteville king Odo I.

And that is unfortunately all we managed to get to this lecture. Next time we will look further on towards the rest of Europe and its surroundings.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter II - The Norman World
  • Welcome back, class. We start where we left off last week, with the world at large at the declaration of the Empire of Normannia on February 7th, 1215. I will remind you that the paper on Emperor Guy I and the realms ruled by his dynasty is due in only four days. I will not accept any late hand ins this time, without a very good excuse. That goes for you too, Lewis.

Right. In 1215, the premier Christian powers were without a doubt Normannia and Francia. The Empire of Francia was on peaceful to neutral terms with Normannia. No war had ever been had between the two powers. It is clear, however, that the two were infringing on each other’s territory. Francia was expanding into Iberia, where the Normans had waged no less than six holy wars over the last century. Andalucia and Valencia were both in Normannia’s sphere of influence, but let’s look at the political map on the screen behind me, shall we.

XxFHYiQ.png

There. Neatly between Valencia and Andalucia. A Francian enclave. There definitely were tensions at the time. Several letters between the two Emperors have been salvaged from the mist of time. But no one wanted war, that much seems certain.

Then we look north. The kingdom of Herefordshire and Danelaw. England was long gone as an entity. Danelaw was created by the Danish king Asbjørn “the Dane” back in 1079 and had been in existence since then. It did not unite the English realm under Danish law for long, though. In 1094 king Harold Godwineson conquered much of Danelaw through a populist Anglo-Saxon revolt against the Danish conquerors. Quite a comeback for the Anglo-Saxon king, wouldn’t you say? Since then, the two had coexisted and done their share of warring. None got the upper hand, though.

Allright then. Let’s look east. The Holy Roman Empire had got on difficult times. Losing its Italian provinces, it was weak and vulnerable, as the rise of Poland and Byzantium in it’s old provinces should prove.

cXIOuRz.png

In fact, it was also in the middle of a religious revolution. Let’s look at another map. As you can see, the Orthodox faith of the Byzantines had taken hold in not only the Holy Roman Empire, but also in Scandinavia. Curiously enough, the Irish Christianity we know as Insular Christianity had also had a resurgence – in the Byzantine Empire of all places. This was a time of religious upheaval, with Orthodoxy on the rise in in central and eastern Europe, and Catholicism on the rise in former Muslim parts of the world.

OMqUg0i.png

The latter is much due to the strong expansion of Normannia over the last two centuries. Northern Africa in 1215 was increasingly Orthodox and Catholic. Christianity was on the rise. Islam was at this point sent towards the fringes, as you can see in the last map above. But also Islam was expanding, gaining ground in the midst of Africa as well as the Russian steppes.

Well then, that is what we got through today! Next time we will begin to cover the life and reign of Emperor Guy I, make sure to read pages 156 to 204 in Danheim’s before the next lecture! I’m looking at you young Blair! Don’t think I didn’t catch your confusion earlier. It is important you all come prepared.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter III - Emperor Guy I up to 1215
  • Welcome back, class. The topic of today’s lecture is none other than the Man himself. Emperor Guy I of Normannia. The creator of the Empire, and a really colorful character in himself. We will today talk about his rule and life up to the creation of the Empire.

Lewis, pay attention! I’m not going to repeat myself!

Right. Guy. As they say, what a guy. At the time of the creation of the Empire, Guy was fifty years old and had ruled for twenty-seven of them. An astitute intellectual, he was not very pretty, but being a powerful ruler still made him a popular man on the marriage market. He was athletic and humble – as well as gregarious to people around him. His paranoia probably served him well, especially during the first years of his rule, before he was properly in control By all accounts, however, he should have been dead before the second year of his rule.

cnJeWaz.png

His luck was just not great. Or perhaps it was. In any case he must have had an iron constitution. Not long after his ascension to the Sicilian throne, he contracted leprosy. This could easily have been a death sentence, but he would live for years on end after this. He even, somehow, sired three more children. The horror for the wives, I’m sure. He was on his second at the time the Empire came to be.

His physicians in the beginning surely did a good job, as he survived and even prospered – despite the sickness. Having leprosy in the middle ages was not easy however, aside from the pain and people’s disdain, which would surely have affected anyone, the view was by many that one was cursed by God himself. Guy surely must have felt this, being by all accounts a devout Christian, and he soon became a well-known flagellant. Which also could easily have gone badly health wise, I assure you. He survived, though.

Blair, for heaven’s sake! Let poor Hjarg be! And turn around and pay attention!

Ahem. Yes. In the long list of tragedies in his life, Guy hit rock bottom a year before the creation of the Empire. He contracted the bubonic plague in addition to his pre-existing leprosy. He survived, though, and became well from the former. It cost him though. A failed treatment, if you can call a treatment resulting in someone surviving failed, cost him his face. Greatly disfigured, the man would rule the rest of his life behind masks and well covering clothes.

Had he been any other guy, he would have been a pariah. Instead, he was a well respected and feared man. Loved by his close family, hated by his siblings, feared by the heathens and unruly vassals alike. He ordered most heathen prisoners executed after a while in the dungeons, he waged many successful holy wars and crusades alike. He crushed opposition to his rule like it was no sweat.

The size of the realm under his rule swelled, the Christian faith spread far and wide, as did the Norman culture. His income was great, but his coffers seldom swelling and he used most of his wealth to improve the lands he possessed, to increase their income even more, and to fund his many wars and build up the quality of his armies. He was by the time Normannia came to be an exalted figure, well underway to become a living legend. The Church loved him, the nobles either loved or feared him. He ruled with an iron fist when needed, but was generous to his friends.

Let’s at the end review his family. His first wife, Márta, died of the bubonic plague her husband survived. She gave birth to all his six children. His second wife, Marie, was a Hauteville herself, distantly related. At the time of the creation of the Empire, they had no children and there was with the Emperor’s poor health little to no expectation of any. Mostly, their marriage was one of care and support. An Emperor needs someone at his side, you might say.

Emperor Guy I had at this point six children, of which four was still living. The oldest. Oriel, died in childbirth and left him one grand-daughter. The second was another daughter, Avelina. She had in 1215 two children of her own, a boy named Guy and a daughter named Alberada. The third was named Guy and was the heir to the throne, 25 years old in 1215. He had already sired four children, two of which were boys and thus potential future Emperors.

Then came Lambert, who died tragically aged 10 in a siege during one of his father’s wars. A civil war in fact, waged at the same time as a crusade and holy war with the Almoravids. Quite a tragedy for the father, I assure you. The chronciler’s tells us Guy was heart broken when it happened. Lambert’s brother and twin, Botolf, was still alive at this time, aged 21. He was married, but had sired no children as of yet. Lastly comes Judit, aged 17 and still had already managed to give birth to a baby girl, Gohilde. More skilled than any of her brothers, she is sure to have succeeded her father had she had a man’s parts. Times has surely changed.

And that, students, ends today’s lecture. Make sure to read pages 205 to 247 by next week. And Lewis? Please use your computer’s spell checker this time. Thank you, that would be all.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter IV .- Emperor Guy's latter reign
  • Welcome back, class. Today we will cover the latter part of Emperor Guy I’s reign, from the creation of the Empire in 1215 to his death on January 4th, 1232. Yes, that is correct, he reigned for another 17 years after having lived through the bubonic plague, long lasting leprosy, and disfigurement. He was a tough guy.

Young Butterfly, eyes here! Pretty girls can be haunted later, after class.

Right. Guy did not wait long after the creation of Normannia before he got, let’s say, restless. He soon began a holy war in Iberia, and while this one was still going, committed to a new crusade, this time for a kingdom in what we would today call Kurdistan. Right in between of the Persian Empire, the crusader kingdom of Syria and the Byzantine Empire.

And he won both. Although his kin who gained the kingdom soon enough lost most of it to a Muslim rebellion. Normannia would be back, but not under Guy I. That is a story for a later lecture, though.

Lewis! No chewing gum in my classes!

All right. After having secured more land for the Christian cause, Emperor Guy would spend the last years of his reign doing three things. One, he would spend his now quite plentiful income on improving his domain. During his last years, no less than four new, larger settlements; cities, baronies, and church cities, would be built and his existing settlements greatly expanded.

Secondly, his men-at-arms regiments would be greatly expanded. We’re talking at least a doubling, possibly more, according to the sources we have access to. This meant that the realm was hemorrhaging money during war, but also made the armies of Normannia the strongest in Christendom – only surpassed in might by the surging Mongol Khanate far off in the East. But the clash of the titans were far off still at this time, and well beyond Guy’s time.

Thirdly, he warred. The southern border of Normannia crept ever so much south the last decade of his reign. A year before he finally kicked the bucket, the Emperor – allegedly feeling his demise coming – declared no less than six wars at once on different tribal kingdoms in Africa and invaded in force. Three of them would be concluded within that year, the rest would end under his son and successor Guy II.

PQOhmAb.png

And thus, we come to January 4th, 1232 AD. After 43 years of reign, aged 67, the formidable Emperor Guy I breathed his last. He was a legend in his time, later of course made immemorable by countless plays, movies, and books. His son Guy II would have a much less unique reign, but it would be almost as long – a thing not imagined I’m sure when he ascended the throne aged 41.

That, however, is for the next lecture, which will cover the reign of Guy II and the oncoming Mongol storm. I will require you to read pages 249 to 317 as well as answering the questionnaire that I have posted on the online board. No late hand ins, am I clear?

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter V - The reign of Emperor Guy II "the Scholar"
  • Welcome back class! Before we begin today, I will just congratulate Cora for an excellent paper on Guy I’s reign, seldom have I seen better grasp of the academic approach in such a young student! Now, if you guys on the third row could only do half as well…

rpJMvAx.png

Right! Today’s topic is the rule of Guy II, which would to a great degree be formed by the looming threat of the Mongol Empire as well as internal consolidation and improvement. Guy II was important not for his conquest, but for his internal legacy.

Young Blair! Leave poor Cora alone and take out those earphones! Don’t think I don’t see you!

Ahem. Guy II. Yes. His expansion in his early reign was slow and small. However, he did some impressive expansion within his realm. Throughout his domain, cities, baronies, and churches were built in an impressive speed. No less than twelve major new settlements were built during his reign, keeping what would elsewise have been a large treasury small. It would, however, prove important for the ever-growing economy of Normannia, resulting in a more than doubling economy within his reign and really booming in the decades after his demise.

A demise that despite his already relatively advanced age of 41 when he became Emperor, would last another 41 years. As he ultimately died, the realm was transformed, as was the world around him. Especially the East.

Lewis! Pay attention! And for heaven’s sake Blair, leave Cora alone! Last warning!

Right. July 23rd, 1254 AD. An important date in the history of Normannia. This was the date when Emperor Guy II decreed that all his titles, from his lowly counties and duchies, to the kingdoms and the Empire itself, all would go to one heir – his eldest son. Of course, this son would never inherit, but we’ll come to that later. In the next few years, Guy II also created several new kingdoms for his heir to inherit. But the major turning point was this date in 1254. No longer would the inheritance split. For better or for worse, the next generation’s future would all rely on the eldest son – or in case of only daughters, the eldest daughter.

With this change made and the economy improving, a real test would come to the Empire. The Mongol Empire was at this point huge, stretching from their core territories of Mongolia, south to deep into India and west all the way through Persia to the borders of Christendom, in Syria and Jerusalem in the Levant.

GO69362.png

The Mongol Empire had as you well know left their Tengri past and embraced the Hindu faith, spreading the Shavite version of this religion far and wide. The Great Khan had at this time died, and his successor was eager to prove his mettle and expand into the west. On July 31st, 1256 Emperor Guy II received an emissary from the Great Khan, demanding his submission. What went through the Emperor’s mind at this point is impossible to know, but we do know that the military might of the Mongols were almost twice as large as Normannia’s, and close to similar with the added might of her allies.

Guy II refused the demand, however, and soon war was declared. The very existence of Normannia was in danger. Throughout all of Christendom, the call for allies went out, and the entire might of Normannia was called upon. In Syria and Jeruslalem, the armies gathered and went into Mesopotamia to meet the Mongols.

8JrDqz8.png

But no armies would meet them. Shortly after the declaration of war, the Mongol Empire went into a massive civil war that would soon result in its almost complete dissolution. As the Great Khan fought for his very survival, the Christian armies swept into Mesopotamia. The Khan soon offered a white peace, something Guy II accepted. The cost of the campaign was seriously draining the treasury, deep in the red, and Mesopotamia was far away from Normannia. Peace was made, and Guy II went back to his internal improvement program. Less than a year later, he founded the University of Napoli, one of the oldest Universities in the world.

Then disaster struck. One fateful day in 1265, assassins struck. The Emperor survived the attack, slaying one of the assassins, while his royal guard slayed the rest. However, his son and heir Bertan was not so lucky. Before the day was over, he was no more. The Empire’s future now laid in his eldest son, also named Bertran, who at the tender age of nine was now the Emperor’s heir.

kn5xZWo.png

WEnkHm6.png

Bertran I would in his turn inherit the Empire in 1273, aged 17, when Guy II died in his sleep. He was 82 years of age, healthy and sound of mind to the last. He reigned 41 long years and oversaw both the biggest threat to he Empire thus far and the start of a time of prosperity that would last well beyond his time. Bertran I, on this side, would meet his own kind of struggles, and solve them with a hard and firm hand.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter VI - The reign of Emperor Bertran I "the Foolish"
  • Welcome back, class. This lecture will cover the reign of Bertran I, who was only 17 years of age when he ascended the throne. His hold of power was tenuous from day one and he survived his 48 years on the throne by use of much force, beheadings and spread of dread amongst his subjects.

9fKWV0p.png

Young Butterfly and Blair! This should be unnecessary to say, but we do not tolerate bubblegum during lectures, especially when you do that with it! Silence, now!

Ahem. Right. About the dangers to Emperor Bertran I’s reign, his main rival was his uncle William, a relatively gentle soul that many vassals thought easy to manipulate and a preferable choice to Bertran. This threat would remain for most of Bertran’s reign, and was kept at bay, as mentioned, by executions, imprisonments and other measures spreading dread amongst the nobles.

That is not to say that there was nothing happening during his reign except holding on to power, though. Far from it. Bertran I was measured, patient and powerful and he used it all for his benefit. Early on in his reign, smaller wars were had both in Iberia and Africa. Then, a long time of no wars. People began to question him, calling him “the Foolish” behind his back. Not understanding he was playing the long game.

Then, the whole of the kingdom of Galicia was swallowed whole after years of gathering claims. Not long after, in 1305, he declared war on the king of Andalucia and claimed the throne for his vassal, the duke of Rif. The kingdom thus became a vassal kingdom, and the Norman presence was greatly expanded in Iberia.

Young Blair! Yes, you! Don’t think I didn’t see it. Hand it back to Mr. Dude. Now.

Right. In a lighting campaign in 1306, Bertran I expanded Normannian influence in Iberia even more. The king of Valencia, a Hauteville, was politely asked to submit as a vassal. The man was stupid enough to not only refuse, but also imply certain things about Bertran’s grandmother and a horse, and was soon set in his place. Thus another kingdom was added to the Normannian Empire.

Then, came another crusade. The queen of Flanders had been a naughty girl and converted to a certifiable non Catholic creed, and the Pope was not amused. The crusade got the full might of Normannia behind it and the whole ordeal was won more or less singlehandedly by Normannian arms. Thus, a new and small Hauteville kingdom was added to Europe, that of Lotharingia.

And then we come to the probably most devastating occurrence in Bertran I’s life. And the moment he did something decidedly not calculated and unwise. His son and heir Lancelin was discovered in bed with his own sister, doing decidedly non-sibling actions. Enraged, the Emperor publicly shamed his son and daughter as fornicators of the worst kind, not only adulterers, but incestuous adulterers. He did, however, keep Lancelin as heir, with all the implications this would have for the future Emperor’s relations with his future vassals.

The last actions of the Emperor was a war with the Empire of Francia, claiming the southern lands that was de jure Normannian. The war went swimmingly well, but the poor Emperor’s health quickly worsened and he died mid war, aged 65. He had ruled for 48 years. His son Lancelin succeeded him on the throne at the age of 44.

4uts2lf.png

And that ends today’s lecture. For next week I implore you to read pages 316 to 355 in Hallisfield. Oh, and Mr. Pip, excellent work on last week’s assignment. If only you all would follow his lead…

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter VII - Reign of Emperor Lancelin I
  • Welcome back, class. Today’s lecture will cover the fourty year long reign of Lancelin I, who oversaw the blooming of the Normannian Empire, forever transforming the realm from somewhat wealthy, to overly wealthy. He was 44 years old when he inherited the throne and wouldn’t leave his mortal coil before he was 84.

WeraFOH.png

The first years of his reign was a lighting campaign in Iberia. First he concluded the war he had inherited from his father, with France. France was humiliated. Then he proceded to wage war on the kingdom of Castille, cutting the kingdom in half in the process.

Mister Butterfly! I do not want to see such behavior in my class again! Consider this a warning!

Ahem. Right. Then Lancelin I went ahead and solved a problem. The problem of Andalucia. Her vassal queen was a treacherous woman, causing headache for the Emperor. Thankfully, she was also a woman with appetite for other women’s husbands, and this was used as an excuse to imprison her and then revoke her kingdom, now under the care of Lancelin I. Thus a powerful vassal was no longer a problem.

By this time only the duchy of Barcelona, the Empires of Francia and Normannia as well as limp Castille was left independent in Iberia. Soon, Barcelona was part of Normannia too, and then Castille too fell to Lancelin’s armies.

On June 6th, 1340 AD, Lancelin I was crowned by the Pope himself in Palermo as Emperor of Hispania. He was now a Dual Emperor, the most powerful man in Christendom. In celebration, he ordered the founding of the University of Coimbra. And then went to war for the kingdom of Sardegna e Corsica, which was controlling parts of North Africa, as well as Corsica and Sardinia. He won easily.

Lewis! Don’t you dare snore in my classes!

Right, where was I? Ah, yes. Filled with pride and eagerness after all these successes, Lancelin I would meet his first defeat. The Pope called for a crusade for Mesopotamia, the first of many. And this one would not end well. The Emperor sent his entire might to claim Mesopotamia for Christ. And lost the entire force in a series of defeats. Limping back, dealing with his unruly vassals, the crusade was soon lost. But Lancelin kept his vassals in line and licked his wounds.

Not long after, he founded the University of Madrid and then he declared war on the Empire of Francia for the duchy of Aragon – and won handily. In 1352 he was hit by personal tragedy though, as his son and heir Lancelin died of what was probably cancer, at the age of 57. His new heir was now his grandson Hamelin, aged 39.

Not one to rest on his laurels, however personally devastated, Lancelin I then laid his eyes on the Byzantine Empire. He declared war on the Eastern Empire in late 1355, claiming the duchy of Syrte. Half his forces went towards Syrte and the provinces in Egypt, while the main force under his personal command went straight for Constantinople. On March 30th, 1356 – almost on the month 100 years after the Mongol War started, Constantinople fell to Normannian forces, and the war was over.

Mr. Pip, will you please wake up young Butterfly for me?

Ahem. Then, luck struck. A technicality in the peace treaty was discovered merely two months after the peace was made, rendering the whole truce null and void. So the Emperor declared war again, this time for the duchy of Cyrenaica. Again half the force was sent for the war goal, while the Emperor lead his men to siege Constantinople anew. As the City of Cities was about to fall, the Byzantine Emperor gave in to save his capital from another ravaging, and Normannia won again.

iCQLE0i.png

This would be the last war of Emperor Lancelin I. He died on August 28th, 1360, after 40 years of rule, aged 83. His grandson Hamelin I succeeded him, aged 47. Lancelin had accomplished much, greatly expanding his realm, attaining another Emperor title. And not the least, he had overseen a blossoming of the economy never before seen. When he ascended the throne, the monthly surplus was around 60 gold coins. When he died, the surplus was over 200 gold coins a month. When he started his reign, he had command over 45k troops. When he died, this had soared to over 95k troops. He left his realm in a much better state than he got it.

sPisdSC.png

l9IJPUo.png

Alright, that was all for today. Next lesson will be on Emperor Hamelin I, a much less busy reign. Please read pages 356 to 398. And will someone please wake up young Butterfly again?

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter VIII - The reign of Emperor Hamelin I
  • Welcome back, class! This session will cover the reign of Emperor Hamelin I of Normannia, a man overshadowed by both his predecessors and successors. That does not mean he’s not part of the curriculum, though, and you will get his reign on the questionnaire at the end of the term. That’s a warning.

1xzm4my.png

Butterfly! Quit doing that! We’re civilized people here!

Ahem. Right.

Early in his 23-year long reign, Hamelin I declared war on Francia, and again Normannian arms won the day. Francia never stood a chance. The duchy of Barcelona was now fully Normannian. After the war was over, he let his realm rest, until the truce with Francia was over. Then he declared war on the poor Francians again, this time for the duchy of Leon. He timed it well, for shortly after the war started the Francians descended into civil war. Not a single battle was fought in this war, and a peace treaty awarding Hamelin I the duchy was soon negotiated.

Mr Pip, will you please wake up Lewis? Seriously, this is not that boring! Why do some of you even bother with signing up?

FpdazzW.png

Right. The next few years were spent waging war in Africa, vassalizing several smaller and medium sized realms and then working to convert the new vassals to Christianity. Then, the big event of his reign started, as the Pope called for another crusade for Mesopotamia. This crusade would ultimately end in victory, contrary to the previous crusade. But Hamelin I would not experience this victory, as he would be found dead in his bed shortly before victory was declared. He was 71 years old when he died, having ruled for 23 years. His son Lancelin II ascended the throne, 48 years of age. The new Emperor would prove to overshadow his father, as his father overshadowed him again.

And that is it for today, next time I will require you to read pages 399 to 425.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter IX - The reign of Emperor Lancelin II
  • Welcome back, class. Today we will cover the reign of Lancelin II, a reign that would show the wealth of the ever dominating Hauteville dynasty. His reign would see vast shows of this wealth, as well as war, science, and internal restructuring.

Lewis! Eyes here, and not on young Cora!

cfTNxT2.png

Right. The start of Lancelin II’s reign would see success, as well as weakening due to the cost of this success. The crusade for Mesopotamia was successful and installed a Hauteville on the throne, but it also cost many men. Men that needed to be replenished. And before this could be done, some Normannian vassals smelled blood. Demanding less crown authority in the wake of the crusade, a weakened Lancelin II had to concede to the liberty faction’s desires. Only many years later would he be able to regain this strength of the throne.

Another problem also arose at this time. Normannia was becoming huge, and her vassals many. Too many, it would turn out, for the Emperor to handle effectively. A need for internal reform was more and more pressing, as resources was wasted governing many smaller vassals from deep in Africa to the Franconian border. As such, Lancelin II decided to grant several of his many kingdoms to loyal vassals, all of Hauteville blood. Thus, the direct line of responsibility became one of fewer, more powerful, players. In the end, this meant more effective bureaucracy, but also more potential for unrest if a vassal got uppity.

Speaking of uppity, what did I just tell Lewis, young Butterfly? Eyes here, in front! And do stop talking while I’m lecturing!

Ahem. In the wake of the weakening of royal power and restructuring of the Empire, Lancelin II gathered his vassals in Palermo for a crowning. Not content to be dual Emperor, and in light of the continued expansion into Africa, Lancelin II was on Januaryt 6th, 1393 AD a triple Emperor, now adding the Empire of Kanem-Bornu to his titles. A feast of epic proportions was held, told of in decades to come. Even the Pope is said to have become, let’s say a bit in a festive mood at this occasion.

That is not an invitation to bring up your liquor, young Butterfly! Heavens, have some decency and wait with that until after the lecture!

Right. In the wake of this creation of the triple-Empire, Lancelin II founded the university of Salamanca, expanded with smaller wars in Africa. But the main thing he did, his definite legacy for the world, was he ordered the entire treasury of Normannia used to build. He built cities, church cities, baronies. All over the realm, an unprecedented expansion begun.

In 1403, four cities and one church city was build in Iberia. Four cities and two church cities was built in Italy. But Africa was where it really happened. In 1403 alone no less than fourty-nine cities were founded all over the continent, in addition to six church cities. The next year, another seven cities were founded in Africa. The year thereafter, another eight cities was founded in Africa.

Then, Lancelin II set his eyes on the Byzantine Empire. The ancient Empire, heir of Rome, was at this time mostly dormant, having taken parts of Egypt and Cyrenaica in a resurgence as Catholic Europe and Normannia conquered the rest of the Middle East in the crusades. His grandfather and namesake had humbled Constantinople twice. Now, Lancelin II claimed his rights to the lands of the Byzantines in Egypt. The war started in 1405 and lasted less than four years. Before long, not only Egypt but also the old and mighty city of Constantinople had fallen to Normannian troops.

With the peace accord in 1409 ending the third Byzantine-Normannian war no more wars was fought during the man’s reign. Rebuilding his Empire’s treasury, the Emperor would be found dead in his bed on August 5th, 1412. He would be succeeded by his son Hamelin II, aged 45 at the time.

CJb4qjb.png

Now, for the next lecture I will need you to have finished and handed in the paper on Lancelin I. No extensions this time, young Blair! Also, I require you to read pages 427 to 450. In the correct book this time Mr. Duke!

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter X - The reign of Emperor Hamelin II
  • Welcome back, class. Today, we will cover the 26-year long reign of Hamelin II, a dreaded figure among his contemporaries, yet also a man who continued the successes of the Hauteville dynasty.

Mr Butterfly, will you please smoke outside? I am seriously considering my options with you, young man… And is that tobacco or something else? Last chance!

6wwUVJp.png

Ahem. Right. The start of Hamelin II’s reign was one of sedition and talk of uprisings. Many thought his uncle would be a better Emperor. Hamelin II promptly summoned his major vassals and gave them what you can call a show. He brought forward a number of prisoners from the last few years of warfare, told the assembled vassals that he expected loyalty and that if they didn’t remain loyal, what followed would be their future fate. Then the heads of the prisoners began to fall of their bodies, as all were beheaded.

No more talk of rebellion was spoken for a long time.

Lewis, eyes here! Sigh, I wish you all would do like Cora here, following the lectures, writing notes and handing in excellent works of academic literature. I foresee a great future for you, young lady.

Right, back to the topic. The Pope surprised everyone in 1417 when he ordered a new crusade for Mesopotamia. Mesopotamia was held at the time by the crusaders lead by a Hauteville king. The Pope wanted the rest of the de jure lands taken for Christ, even though this land was sparse compared to what was already held. Hamelin II obliged, however, and less than a year after the crusade’s start, it was won.

Then, the Emperor looked south, into Africa. In short order, he conquered the kingdom of Gurma for his vassal Flomo – a recent convert – before he conquered the kingdom of Sapi for another loyal vassal. Then he sent his armies to the kingdom of Kren-Wa to take control of the duchy of Kono.

All this lead to Palermo, where the Pope with much ceremony on October 11th, 1423 crowned Hamelin II Emperor of Mali. The Emperor was now quadruple-Emperor, the most powerful of any known civilization. After a month of celebrations, the armies of Normannia was sent to conquer another kingdom for Christ, this time the kingdom of Mali. Several smaller wars were then waged all over Africa. Africa was to become fully Norman, decreed the Emperor.

Mr. Pip, please use your stick on young Blair. The young man seems to have fallen asleep again.

Right. Not a man to stop conquering just because he had become so powerful and rich Croesus would be envious, Hamelin II looked east. Demanding the duchy of Cyprus from the Byzantines, he invaded the island as well as Constantinople. Constantinople as well as Cyprus soon enough fell and within a year, the war was over in Hamelin II’s favor.

When Hamelin II returned to Palermo, he again summoned all his vassals. When they came to the capital, they would witness something unprecedented. A second Empire title added to Normannia in twelve years. On January 31st, 1435, Hamelin II again was crowned. This time as Emperor of Guinea. He was now a five-time Emperor. The mightiest Emperor since the time of Augustus, people whispered. An Empire centered on Iberia and Africa, rivalling the Empires of Old.

T6Xm3Am.png

tbV7Tfv.png

But, of course, even five-time Emperors get old and die. On September 14th, 1438, after having suffered from his advanced age and not warred for three whole years, the Emperor finally gave up the ghost. He died peacefully in his bed, surrounded by his family. He was 71 years old. His son Stefen I, the last medieval Emperor of Normannia, sat by his bed for the last night, personally caring for his father. Stefen I was 50 years of age when he rose to the throne.

• 1Like
    • 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter XI - The reign of Emperor Stefen I
  • Welcome back, class – to this last lecture before the exams. Today we will cover the last medieval Emperor of Normannia, Stefen I. He was middle aged when he inherited the throne, 50 years of age, but would manage to set his mark on the era during the few years he reigned.

Mr Butterfly! If you want to listen to music, you do it outside my class, outside the lecture!

Right. The Emperor rose to office in 1438. His succession was disputed by all, as the man had converted to the Insular faith of his wife years before. The deeply Catholic realm did not want a heretic ruling them. Stefen I thus had to go out publicly to denounce his faith, reconverting to the Catholic faith in a public baptism done by the Pope himself. Doubts remained by some on how much this was a sincere conversion, but in all his remaining years the Emperor at least outwardly seemed like a devout Catholic.

In 1441, the huge treasury of Normannia again was depleted, as Stefen I decided to follow in his grandfather Lancelin II’s footsteps as a builder of epic proportions. During this one year, no less than 58 cities and 31 church settlements were founded – all of them in the now heartland of Africa – from Egypt in the east to Guinea in the west.

Speaking of Egypt, the expansion westwards continued under Stefen I, and in 1442 he declared war on the emirate of Shamir for control over even more of this resourceful land. The war was successful, but during it a disaster struck closer to home. Stefen I, for lack of a better description, became a raving lunatic. Possibly a result of brain cancer – this is disputed even today – the mind of the Emperor became clouded. Decrees of how to clothe during summer – he demanded furs and other warm clothing whenever a noble approached him during the warm summer months – to his demand of his servants to use earrings, whoever it was – made life in court difficult to say the least.

Lewis, stop snoring! Mr Pip, if you would?

vckQgE8.png

iQLDISE.png

86mekJb.png

Ahem. As a result of this mental illness, the last years of Emperor Stefen I the realms was in reality governed by his son and heir Prince Sewal. It was he who managed the details when Normannaia in 1449 participated in the greatly successful crusade for Persia, which in 1452 ended in a complete victory for the crusaders and another Hauteville realm created.

It was also him who decided to invade Byzantium yet again, for the control of Crete and Rhodes. It was, however, the Emperor himself who lead the assault on Constantinople, an assault which was successful – Constantinople fell – but also cost the Emperor his life. Details are sparse on what happened, seemingly the Emperor started a charge into the breech without notifying his men, but the end result was a severely wounded Emperor.

7eq9DpK.png

As the war neared its ending, Emperor Stefen I died of his wounds on January 1st, 1453, after 14 years of rule. His son Sewal I of Normannia, aged 31, took the reins and would lead Normannia into a new age – the renaissance. However, his reign is not part of Normannia 101.

I thank you for your participation, well those of you who actually bothered to do more than just show up for the points…. I especially want to highlight the great work of Cora and Mr Pip, I hope to see you in later subjects and foresee a great academical future for you both. Or, in Mr Pip’s case, possibly as an enforcer. I see qualities there too for you, young man!

BlSqnLD.png

Lastly, I will remind you all that the exams are close at hand now. Previous years’ exams, if you want to prepare even more, can be found in the university’s online portal under “Normannia 101”, then the folder “previous exams”. Good luck, all!

• 1Love
    Reactions: