• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reactions:
Chapter IV .- Emperor Guy's latter reign
Welcome back, class. Today we will cover the latter part of Emperor Guy I’s reign, from the creation of the Empire in 1215 to his death on January 4th, 1232. Yes, that is correct, he reigned for another 17 years after having lived through the bubonic plague, long lasting leprosy, and disfigurement. He was a tough guy.

Young Butterfly, eyes here! Pretty girls can be haunted later, after class.

Right. Guy did not wait long after the creation of Normannia before he got, let’s say, restless. He soon began a holy war in Iberia, and while this one was still going, committed to a new crusade, this time for a kingdom in what we would today call Kurdistan. Right in between of the Persian Empire, the crusader kingdom of Syria and the Byzantine Empire.

And he won both. Although his kin who gained the kingdom soon enough lost most of it to a Muslim rebellion. Normannia would be back, but not under Guy I. That is a story for a later lecture, though.

Lewis! No chewing gum in my classes!

All right. After having secured more land for the Christian cause, Emperor Guy would spend the last years of his reign doing three things. One, he would spend his now quite plentiful income on improving his domain. During his last years, no less than four new, larger settlements; cities, baronies, and church cities, would be built and his existing settlements greatly expanded.

Secondly, his men-at-arms regiments would be greatly expanded. We’re talking at least a doubling, possibly more, according to the sources we have access to. This meant that the realm was hemorrhaging money during war, but also made the armies of Normannia the strongest in Christendom – only surpassed in might by the surging Mongol Khanate far off in the East. But the clash of the titans were far off still at this time, and well beyond Guy’s time.

Thirdly, he warred. The southern border of Normannia crept ever so much south the last decade of his reign. A year before he finally kicked the bucket, the Emperor – allegedly feeling his demise coming – declared no less than six wars at once on different tribal kingdoms in Africa and invaded in force. Three of them would be concluded within that year, the rest would end under his son and successor Guy II.

PQOhmAb.png

And thus, we come to January 4th, 1232 AD. After 43 years of reign, aged 67, the formidable Emperor Guy I breathed his last. He was a legend in his time, later of course made immemorable by countless plays, movies, and books. His son Guy II would have a much less unique reign, but it would be almost as long – a thing not imagined I’m sure when he ascended the throne aged 41.

That, however, is for the next lecture, which will cover the reign of Guy II and the oncoming Mongol storm. I will require you to read pages 249 to 317 as well as answering the questionnaire that I have posted on the online board. No late hand ins, am I clear?

• 1Love
Reactions:
“He died of unknown causes.” Uhhh, if you say so Paradox…

Mind you, if none of the usual stuff killed him, whatever did get him probably had to be beyond our comprehension.

Guy II has a distinct Hugh Laurie air about him. Hopefully he is just as entertaining.

Reactions:
Young Butterfly, eyes here! Pretty girls can be haunted later, after class.

Pfft. Where is the ambition in that?

Dying of unknown causes is presumably the dynasty trying to downplay how epically blighted their founder was.

Reactions:

Meaning even Paradox had trouble deciding what was that finally killed the Guy! :D
I mean, the options to choose from..

But what a Guy indeed.

The incoming Mongol storm does seem ominous though...

Reactions:
I want to note how much better behaved I've been than the other ruffians in this course.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I want to note how much better behaved I've been than the other ruffians in this course.

Seeing as they weren’t picked up for anything this time I can only assume young Blair has either turned over a new leaf or else has started skipping lectures entirely.

I know which is more likely where I’m concerned, but anything is possible in the wacky world of Emperor “Not Your Average” Guy

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Guy II has a distinct Hugh Laurie air about him. Hopefully he is just as entertaining.
That is true now you mention it. What I noticed was that Guy II has a distinctly ill-fitting crown. Is it a foreshadowing visual metaphor?! (Probably not.)

Reactions:

Mind you, if none of the usual stuff killed him, whatever did get him probably had to be beyond our comprehension.

Unknown causes indeed. Which of them was it? We'll never know... Guy II is not long behind a wagon, but will he be as epic? Well, perhaps not. Hard to beat your bubonic plague-leper-disfiguered-empire-making father. ;)
Meaning even Paradox had trouble deciding what was that finally killed the Guy! :D
I mean, the options to choose from..

But what a Guy indeed.

The incoming Mongol storm does seem ominous though...
Yes, what a Guy! His story is the main reason I wrote this tale. I've played all the way to a while into the next ruler after this. But he is not a Guy... So we'll see if I cover him or not. :)
Pfft. Where is the ambition in that?

Dying of unknown causes is presumably the dynasty trying to downplay how epically blighted their founder was.
Haha, no perhaps you have a point. ;) And good idea, perhaps the dynasty did have a finger in that... Hmmm...
And boy are the Professors happy about that Cora. Keep up the good work! :D
Seeing as they weren’t picked up for anything this time I can only assume young Blair has either turned over a new leaf or else has started skipping lectures entirely.

I know which is more likely where I’m concerned, but anything is possible in the wacky world of Emperor “Not Your Average” Guy
Perhaps young Blair was lucky, perhaps he was home with corona. Who knows. ;)
That is true now you mention it. What I noticed was that Guy II has a distinctly ill-fitting crown. Is it a foreshadowing visual metaphor?! (Probably not.)
I never touched the garment editor, I'll tell you that much. ;)

Reactions:

“A Bit of Guy and Laurie...” :D

I was going to comment on the disturbing idea of a flagellating leper, but someone beat me to it. Pun intended.

Glad to see the emperor’s name stayed in the family. These guys...

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
“A Bit of Guy and Laurie...” :D

I was going to comment on the disturbing idea of a flagellating leper, but someone beat me to it. Pun intended.

Glad to see the emperor’s name stayed in the family. These guys...
It stays, for this generation. Next generation...well, name changes and other changes will come later. :D

Reactions:
Chapter V - The reign of Emperor Guy II "the Scholar"
Welcome back class! Before we begin today, I will just congratulate Cora for an excellent paper on Guy I’s reign, seldom have I seen better grasp of the academic approach in such a young student! Now, if you guys on the third row could only do half as well…

rpJMvAx.png

Right! Today’s topic is the rule of Guy II, which would to a great degree be formed by the looming threat of the Mongol Empire as well as internal consolidation and improvement. Guy II was important not for his conquest, but for his internal legacy.

Young Blair! Leave poor Cora alone and take out those earphones! Don’t think I don’t see you!

Ahem. Guy II. Yes. His expansion in his early reign was slow and small. However, he did some impressive expansion within his realm. Throughout his domain, cities, baronies, and churches were built in an impressive speed. No less than twelve major new settlements were built during his reign, keeping what would elsewise have been a large treasury small. It would, however, prove important for the ever-growing economy of Normannia, resulting in a more than doubling economy within his reign and really booming in the decades after his demise.

A demise that despite his already relatively advanced age of 41 when he became Emperor, would last another 41 years. As he ultimately died, the realm was transformed, as was the world around him. Especially the East.

Lewis! Pay attention! And for heaven’s sake Blair, leave Cora alone! Last warning!

Right. July 23rd, 1254 AD. An important date in the history of Normannia. This was the date when Emperor Guy II decreed that all his titles, from his lowly counties and duchies, to the kingdoms and the Empire itself, all would go to one heir – his eldest son. Of course, this son would never inherit, but we’ll come to that later. In the next few years, Guy II also created several new kingdoms for his heir to inherit. But the major turning point was this date in 1254. No longer would the inheritance split. For better or for worse, the next generation’s future would all rely on the eldest son – or in case of only daughters, the eldest daughter.

With this change made and the economy improving, a real test would come to the Empire. The Mongol Empire was at this point huge, stretching from their core territories of Mongolia, south to deep into India and west all the way through Persia to the borders of Christendom, in Syria and Jerusalem in the Levant.

GO69362.png

The Mongol Empire had as you well know left their Tengri past and embraced the Hindu faith, spreading the Shavite version of this religion far and wide. The Great Khan had at this time died, and his successor was eager to prove his mettle and expand into the west. On July 31st, 1256 Emperor Guy II received an emissary from the Great Khan, demanding his submission. What went through the Emperor’s mind at this point is impossible to know, but we do know that the military might of the Mongols were almost twice as large as Normannia’s, and close to similar with the added might of her allies.

Guy II refused the demand, however, and soon war was declared. The very existence of Normannia was in danger. Throughout all of Christendom, the call for allies went out, and the entire might of Normannia was called upon. In Syria and Jeruslalem, the armies gathered and went into Mesopotamia to meet the Mongols.

8JrDqz8.png

But no armies would meet them. Shortly after the declaration of war, the Mongol Empire went into a massive civil war that would soon result in its almost complete dissolution. As the Great Khan fought for his very survival, the Christian armies swept into Mesopotamia. The Khan soon offered a white peace, something Guy II accepted. The cost of the campaign was seriously draining the treasury, deep in the red, and Mesopotamia was far away from Normannia. Peace was made, and Guy II went back to his internal improvement program. Less than a year later, he founded the University of Napoli, one of the oldest Universities in the world.

Then disaster struck. One fateful day in 1265, assassins struck. The Emperor survived the attack, slaying one of the assassins, while his royal guard slayed the rest. However, his son and heir Bertan was not so lucky. Before the day was over, he was no more. The Empire’s future now laid in his eldest son, also named Bertran, who at the tender age of nine was now the Emperor’s heir.

kn5xZWo.png

WEnkHm6.png

Bertran I would in his turn inherit the Empire in 1273, aged 17, when Guy II died in his sleep. He was 82 years of age, healthy and sound of mind to the last. He reigned 41 long years and oversaw both the biggest threat to he Empire thus far and the start of a time of prosperity that would last well beyond his time. Bertran I, on this side, would meet his own kind of struggles, and solve them with a hard and firm hand.

• 1Love
Reactions:
That has to be one of the luckiest escapes I have ever seen, the Mongols deciding they would rather fight each other than fight you. Inconvenient drain on the treasury of course, but I’d say a price more than worth paying.

Reactions:
That has to be one of the luckiest escapes I have ever seen, the Mongols deciding they would rather fight each other than fight you. Inconvenient drain on the treasury of course, but I’d say a price more than worth paying.
I got to 32% war score before I even began thinking of advancing from my allies' lands. Jerusalem was invading through sea from Egypt to Persia, Syria was going into Mesopotamia. Had I gone for a complete win, I'd gained less money from the settlement than I'd lose, so it was an easy decision. Also, they still fielded almost the same as me alone, so I figured why risk it. :)

Reactions:
Lots of bug empires still around here though...the internal project of trying to make Africa a viable economy and levy base is very important.

Reactions:
Lots of bug empires still around here though...the internal project of trying to make Africa a viable economy and levy base is very important.
At this time IIRC I earned ca 40 gold per month during peacetime and lost 80 gold during full mobilization. So yeah. Definitely. :)

Reactions:
That was one very impressive Mongol Empire indeed. Now, not so nice. :D

And if you're lucky and Bertrand the Younger does not get leprosies and plagues and stuff, he will rule for a long-long time indeed.

Reactions: