• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hjarg

Insert witty title here
106 Badges
Dec 23, 2000
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
Something to Remember Me by
or the Waning Years of Tietaja Õigemeel

1596278713473.png

Hello All!

This is a short story that I originally started to write for the CK2 AAR contest, then noticed that hey, there is a character limit, had to seriously curb the story and left the original untouched.

I'm already about 150 years in. It was a 769 start, with custom characters.

This will be a short AAR, just a few chapters, focusing on one specific event.

All that said- welcome aboard! Hope you like what you read!

Woes of an Old Man
Woes of an Old Man

“My time in this world ends. Soon,” said Õigemeel in a low voice.

“Father,” Helmi tried to interrupt, but Õigemeel raised his hand slightly, demanding silence.

“It is a fact. I’m 58 years old,” he continued, then looked at his hands, gazing at the scars there, and little skin left unscarred inbetween. “And I have not lived a quiet, brooding life. I’m feeling my old wounds more by the day. It’s a fact, children. I’m dying soon enough.”

Three other people in the room gazed at him silently, waiting for him to continue. A nice spring breeze flowed through the room, carrying the smell of lilacs in bloom and bringing promise of new life to the room, dominated by an old man sitting on a high chair. From the open window, the lively sounds of the city of Kalevan and castle of Toompea burst in, typical of spring days in a bustling city. Merchants from all over the world peddling their wares. Laughter of children. Some heated arguments. Typical atmosphere of a boom town. Busy, a bit nervous and on top gear.

1596278890819.png

The realm of Estonia

Quite the opposite of the council room in the palace, where the mood had turned into gloom fast. Õigemeel sitting on his high chair, brooding. His two daughters, fully armed and armored, standing before him. Young Susi, the heir, sitting on a chair and doing his best to look like a serious adult.

“And when I die,” Õigemeel continued. “The world will not remember me, for I have done nothing special.”

“Father!” cried out Mari, the younger daughter. “How can you of all people say that? You are the scourge of the seas. Every man, woman and child living in any coastal region, be it North Sea, the Atlantic or the Mediterranean, prays every night, to whatever gods they worship, that it is not you who comes knocking at their door!”

“You have sacked the city of Constantinople,” it was Helmi who continued.

“Twice,” added Mari.

“Not to mention Rome, Venice, Alexandria, Paris, London, Brugge, Barcelona, hmm...” Helmi said, pondering.

“Genoa,” Mari took over. “Sicily. Crete. Cyprus. Frisia.”

“All over England,” Susi added. “And in...”

“In short, all of the 40 years of your rule, you have spent robbing the entire continent blind over and over again... You are the most dreaded person in Europe!” It was Helmi who cut the little geography game short, for counting all the places looted would take really long time- and she was certain she would not remember even half of it.

1596278836791.png

The Royal Family

Õigemeel just shrugged. “So? My great-grandfather Härg was a looter. A local looter. My great-uncle, Heameel, was a looter. It was he and his merry band of men who first crossed the Danish strait and found out in the process that looting far Europeans is much more profitable than looting the locals. Or my father, Härg II, who was the first one to use Daugava and Dnieper rivers to reach the Black Sea and bring the Estonian terror to the Mediterranean.”

Then, he pointed at Susi. “Or you, my son, who will take over when I die. You will continue looting and surpass even me, right?”

Susi nodded enthusiastically. Then, he put his hand on the hilt of his sword and added: “All of Europe will curse my name!”

“See,” sighed Õigemeel. “That’s my son! I am proud of you! Just...” he sighed again, “It means that when I’m dead, people will forget me, for Susi will do what I do, only better... I will fade into annals of history...”

“What about your conquest of Wales?” asked Mari

“Who cares about Wales?” replied Õigemeel.

There was a bit of silence in the room.

“The Welsh?” offered Helmi. Then, thinking a bit, agreed. “Insignificant.”

1596278917053.png

Overseas holdings

“This all applies to all the rulers of Härglane though,” Mari said, thoughtfully.

“No,” said Õigemeel. “Härg looted. And found our dynasty. And expanded the borders of Estonia. And made us from an insignificant tribe to...” He smiled ironically. “To a less insignificant tribe.” His children awarded him with a healthy chuckle.

“But then, there was Heameel. He looted England and France and other fun places. He also reformed Suomenusko. And in his spare time, he also proved that Earth is round and revolves around the Sun. In addition, he became the first King of Estonia...”

“True, Heameel was pretty awesome,” Helmi concluded.

“Then, Härg II. He added Mediterranean to the loot table and especially enjoyed his little trips to Venice. Aside from that, he also completely reformed our society, leaving behind the tribal ways and also, constructing this great palace we are currently in...” Õigemeel sighed again. “In addition, he became the legend of Followers of Otso, finishing his legendary journey to the Abbasids.”

“Yes, these are hard examples to look up to...” Helmi nodded.

“As for me, I have looted more than any of my ancestors put together. I have built castles, I have made the provinces of Estonia the most prosperous in the world as we know it.” Õigemeel chuckled. “At the expense of every other province within our looting range”

Then, he continued. “The thing is. I have done nothing significant besides looting! And I need more than that!”

“Like what?”

“Ashina” Õigemeel replied. There was a shocked silence in the room.

Here we go again! ;)
Welcome all. And your pressing questions, like what the hell is Ashina, will be answered in the next episode. Let us just say that how this game played turned out interesting enough that I thought it would warrant a short AAR. Something to pass the time before the release of CK3.

Great to see another work from your keyboard.

hjarg said:
“What about your conquest of Wales?” asked Mari

“Who cares about Wales?” replied Õigemeel.

There was a bit of silence in the room.

“The Welsh?” offered Helmi. Then, thinking a bit, agreed. “Insignificant.”

Ok - this cracked me up.

Quite true of course :)

I like the start. Let's learn about Ashina ! :)
I'm interested and intrigued.

I really like the start. :) Now then, what or who is this Ashina?

Yes, what is Ashina?

Subbed!

The Wicked Siblings
The Wicked Siblings

Bulan II

Khagan Bulan II, known to his enemies as “The Traitor”, stopped his horse. He breathed the fresh air of vast steppes. The breath of freedom. The place where real men are forged. His army stopped behind him. Khagan enjoyed the sudden silence. Click of an armor here, some horse neighing. But otherwise, silence. Not a soul in sight. Unless you happen to look backwards, of course. All life, both human and animal, had fled at the sound of the thundering hooves of his great army.

The Khagan now looked backwards. Rows of horses. On each, a fellow clansman. Each had learned to ride before they learned to walk. Each were taught to shoot a bow as soon as they stopped sucking their mothers milk. The strongest, most fearsome warriors of the steppes. Fear of every neighboring nation.

1596395526521.png

Khagan Bulan II and the Khagnate of Ashina

Khagan smiled. As it should be. Though his ancestors had conquered much, including the city of Constantinople, they had lost it again. As it should be. For the cities make men weak and complacent, but the steppes make them strong.

He chuckled at a thought of Mänär II, the Basileus of the Byzantine Empire. What is left of it anyway. Basileus. Heh. Bulan spat. Trying to act like a Greek, trying to forfeit his Khazar inheritance. Not realizing that is what made him strong. And his tribute is late. Again. Perhaps he should ride to Abydos and take the tribute by force. Some extra as well, of course. He knew that the Basileus would be unable to stop him.

1596395568961.png

Mänar II and the remnants of Byzantine Empire

Nor would be the other two main rulers of the remnants of the Empire. King Roman of Epirus, a Serb ruling over the western remnants, and Khan Telerig, ruling over the Asia Minor. Each paying their tribute to Bulan, to keep him off their lands and their backs. The horseman ruled the Empire.

1596395615481.png

The other Byzantine Rulers

His thought was interrupted by a lone horseman, galloping across the steppes towards the Khagan’s army. Upon arrival, he jumped masterfully from his horse, landed straight at Khagan’s feet, kissed the dirt before the Great Khan and shouted: “They have no idea we are coming!”

Khagan smiled. Theodosia and Cherson, provinces of Galicia-Volhynia (incidentally, the people who control the city of Constantinople). New arrivals. Pheh, Saxons. Cyrpian the conqueror has yet no idea whom he got as his neighbour. Time to teach him a lesson.

1596395658788.png

Cyprian, the latest owner of Constantinople

Bulan raised his hand. Then, he yelled: “Tonight, we feast!” and lowered it. He touched his spurs and his horse rode off. His army following him, making the ground tremble as the Khazars rode to yet another fun day full of murder, pillage and burning.

It felt good to be himself, thought Bulan, as he rode in front of his troops. The Byzantine at his mercy. Terror of the neighbors. Great army at his back. Rich beyond measure. Greatest Khagan of all times. Unstoppable, unopposable...

Ashina

Despite the delusions of grandeur of Bulan, Õigemeel and Estonians cared little for the Khagan. Yet another powerful ruler, sure. Terror of the neighbors. But not a particularly juicy target, for the steppes were densely populated and offered no riches. The mythical riches of Khagan tended to be just that. Mythical. At least when comparing them to very real riches of say, Venice. Or Naples. Or Rome. Or something other Italian. Or Byzantine. Or Umayyad.

And when the Estonian raiders, laden with loot from aforementioned places, entered the mouth of river Dnieper, to start their long and arduous journey upriver, towards the Baltic Sea, the Khazars were wisely somewhere else. Keeping a lot of distance between Estonians, who were kind of protective of their loot. Definitely not daring to make quick fortune by raiding the raiders, though the amount of gold sailing up the Dnieper has been astonishing as of late.

It was Khagan Obidah of Khazaria, who took the city of Constantinople and claimed the Purple Throne to himself and his descendants. This happened more than 100 years ago. It was still Khazarian Khagnate’s when Estonian raiders forced open the gates of the city and plundered the once mighty city. As they did with other Khazarian holdings in the Byzantine Empire.

1596395715415.png

First Khazar Basileus

Since then, the holdings of the Khazarian Byzantine Empire have grown nearly non-existent. Basically, the Khazars came, were pushed back and now, other players enjoy the Byzantine lands.

At some point, Khazarian Khagnate changed their name to Ashina. Most likely to draw attention away from the fact that their foray into Byzantine lands ended up as failure. The legendary Muhan Ashina, founder of Ashina clan and bloodline, was now heralded as the protector of the Khazars and enforcing the blood of Ashina as the one, true blood at the head of the Khagnate. Going to past glories when the present isn’t that appealing- typical to these days.

1596395737506.png

Founder of the Ashina Bloodline.

Wicked Siblings

Thus, a country formerly known as Khazaria would have slipped back to the steppes and completely under Estonian radar. Just your average steppe nomads, with plenty of attitude, but little of loot. Occupying the territories around the Black Sea, Dniepir, Don and Volga. Nothing special.

If there were not the wicked siblings, it would have stayed that way. Monster and Mutilator, they were known. For a reason too. For their mercy and compassion, they were not known.

As weren’t any other members of the de Chaumontois family. Following the assassination of Emperor Karl at the age of 30 and short rule of his nephew Peppin, son of Karlomann, who died at the battle at the age of 19, de Chaumontois took over. Continuing the Merovingian tradition of sibling rivalry, infighting, backstabbing, civil wars, not so civil wars.

The Estonians did not mind much, but added their own to the chaos. Plundering coastal cities, sailing as far as Paris to loot and plunder. At the time of Õigemeel, not even bothering to avoid the enemy, but defeating the armies sent to stop them, tipping the scales of balance to another side. Since the de Chaumontois were too busy fighting amongst themselves, no-one was there to check the influence of Saxony and the Saxons added to the chaos, spreading their pagan influence over the lands of the west as well.

It was not a good time to be living in Europe. Wars, disease, hunger, poverty, heresy, revolts. And then, the Estonians came, looted everything that was not nailed down and sailed away. Vikings, to a smaller extent, as well. Much smaller.

Then came the wicked siblings. Sichar the Mutilator, King of Germany. Gisela the Monster, Queen of France.

Their father, King Godomar II, had managed to unite all the Frankish kingdoms. France, Germany, Burgundy and Austrasia, bringing temporary peace to the realm. When he died in 892, Sichar, being the sole male heir, inherited all the titles. Even though Sichar did not earn the title of Mutilator for being a just, compassionate ruler, it was still better then the constant sibling rivalry of de Chaumontois style. There was hope for a better life.

That of course did not suit Gisela. Imagine, her brother being the King of four Kingdoms and she being the Queen of none. So, she married Bihor Ashina, nephew of Bulan II. With the help of Ashina, Gisela managed to oust Sichar from France and claim the throne to herself. Also, adding murderous looting horseman hordes to the woes of people of Europe. But who cares. Also, agreeing that the marriage would be patrilineal, meaning the next King of France would be a steppe nomad. But who cares. Also, bending her knee in front of the Khagan and swearing loyalty. But who cares. She was the Queen. Well, a Khanum. That is what matters.

Few years later, Sichar also did bend his knee in front of Bulan. Estonian information on that event was sketchy. Was it war? Was is just Sichar seeing that it is better to swear fealty then to lose perhaps everything? Was it something else? It does not really matter. The result is that Sichar bent his knee in front of Bulan. Becoming a Christian Khan.

1596395803182.png

The Wicked Siblings

One devious woman. One fateful marriage. A change of history for all of Europe. And as for Bulanm ownership of half of Europe. Making him a Great Khan indeed.

Unfortunately for the Great Khagan, this also drew the attention of Tietaja Õigemeel. Considering Europe his personal treasury, he was perfectly happy with the chaos. Some Eastern Khan ruling over the Frankish homelands was not to his liking.

1596395910604.png

Ashina in their full glory

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is one of the most... khm.. interesting results of Europe I have seen. Khazaria becoming Ashina and then, taking over Frankish Kingdoms was the most interesting development and something that inspired me to write this AAR.
On other matters, Saxony taking over most of the Germanic provinces and extending as far as to Iberia. Galicia-Volhynia owning Constantinople, some of Frisia, lands in France.

Fabulous! Unless you do not like border gore.

Great to see another work from your keyboard.
:)

I'm glad to be back and great to see you again! ;)

I like the start. Let's learn about Ashina ! :)
I'm interested and intrigued.

Here you go. One Ashina.
And thank you!

I really like the start. :) Now then, what or who is this Ashina?

Thanks!
Well, hope this is answer enough :)

Yes, what is Ashina?

Subbed!

Welcome! And... THIS IS ASHINA!

Ashina, as a steppe Empire, is surely destined to fall. History proves it again and again. Only the steppe Empires that reform into a settled Empire, like the Ottomans, survive in the end. As such, Ashina will - ultimately - fall. As is only proper.

Well that is an ... interesting ... turn of events. The Monster and Mutilator seem well-named.

Wow, Western Europe dominated by a steppe tribe, a Khagan. That's something !
So Oigemeel wants to destroy it before his last breath ?

A Steppe Empire rules the West? Interesting...

Epirus and Trebizond seem like they could be great Kingdoms - but which can retake the (ex-) Queen of Cities?

The Estonians seek to undo Ashina’s newfound western dominion...

Are you playing with HIP?

Also, what year is this? For the Mongols would surely make this an even more... interesting situation.

The Call to War
The Call to War

Since the time of Heameel, grandfather of Õigemeel, the leader of Estonia and his merry band of men had sailed across the Danish straits, to enjoy the famous hospitality of the British Isles and the coastline of Europe. Then, they sailed back, ships full of involuntary presents. Over the time, the number of ships and merry men grew. As did the number of presents. Õigemeel’s father, Härg II, added longer vacations to the sunny Mediterranean to the menu, increasing the presents evermore.

Due to the generosity of other Europeans, the influx of gold to Estonian lands was ever increasing. While the rulers squandered some of the cash to buy new weapons and armour and jewelry and festivities and such, most of the gold was invested in the lands. Making the four-province Duchy of Estonia the most developed in the land. Especially Kalevan, the capital of the Duchy. Four castles, built to the maximum. Filled with men, arriving from all over the kingdom and neighboring countries, lured by the hopes of loot. Rightfully so- if they did not perish in some faraway land, they came home rich.

Then, there is the City of Kalevan. Bustling city, attracting trade from all over the Baltic area and further. No wonder, for the soldiers arriving from successful raids tended to blow their money in Kalevan. And nothing attracts merchants more than gold, no matter how bloody it might be. That is not all though. Kalevan also boasts a university. One of the first ones in Europe. Though instead of seven liberal arts, the studies were more focused on seven military matters of battles and looting.

1596570925584.png

Kalevan, the powerbase of Õigemeel

The rest of the provinces of the Duchy were similar. Saaremaa, Läänemaa and Narva boasted total five castles, plus cities and temples. Not as developed as Kalevan, but still way above the surrounding areas.

In short, this meant that King Õigemeel had about 10 000 soldiers from Kalevan alone. Additional 7000 from other Estonian provinces. And 1500 from all his vassals. About the same size as his personal retinue, though the latter one was with a bit better troop composition. Mostly heavy infantry, 700 of them. Little bit of other troops. Perhaps most importantly- 50 heavy knights.

Õigemeel had some muscle to throw around. And that is what he did.

It was 12th of May, year 913 of the Christian God. Õigemeel declared Great Holy War on Ashina, claiming the entire country of France. Promising to oust Gisela and liberate the suffering people of France from the yoke of the evil Khanum.

1596570956039.png

All the followers of Tengri in the Khanate of France! Perish!

As the contemporary sources put it. “The world is pretty fucked up when bloodthirsty marauding pagans from the North come to liberate the good Catholics of the West from the bloodthirsty marauding riders from the East. Even more so when Ecunumenical Patriarch Euthymnions, another good Christian, rides with the Khan. At least, there is hope that after the conquest, the Estonians are not dumb enough to raid their own lands, for believe me, the liberators are here to stay.”

The source was deep inlands, far away from the sea and navigable rivers.

1596571021069.png

Ecunumenical Patriarch Euthymnions, coming to help the Great Khan

The first victim of the war was not a soldier. Giuditta di Venezia was a young maiden, captured during Estonian raids to Venice. Young, ambitious, she had her whole life ahead of her. Unfortunately for her, she also had no-one who cared enough to pay her ransom. Instead of happy future and death, surrounded by grieving children and grandchildren, she found herself alone, in the woods. Surrounded by followers of the Great Bear. Her ambition died there, in the distant woods of Estonia. Sometimes, life can be cruel.

1596570792886.png

The first victim of the war

The pieces are set. Introductions done. And let the games being!

Ashina, as a steppe Empire, is surely destined to fall. History proves it again and again. Only the steppe Empires that reform into a settled Empire, like the Ottomans, survive in the end. As such, Ashina will - ultimately - fall. As is only proper.

Well, so and so. There might be the fact that the steppe nomads who settle will grow lazy, complacent. And will find another set of steppe nomads knocking at their door.
But yes, Ashina will fall. Eventually.

Well that is an ... interesting ... turn of events. The Monster and Mutilator seem well-named.

Oh yes. Something I've yet to see. But you gotta love how the game just gives you stories. No matter how absurd they seem to be.

Wow, Western Europe dominated by a steppe tribe, a Khagan. That's something !
So Oigemeel wants to destroy it before his last breath ?

Oh yes. Khaganates of France and Germany... sound oh so wrong.
And not destroy. Would require several wars. 4 great ones to kick them out of Europe, more or less. And final one in the steppes. Just wound. Badly.

A Steppe Empire rules the West? Interesting...

Epirus and Trebizond seem like they could be great Kingdoms - but which can retake the (ex-) Queen of Cities?

The Estonians seek to undo Ashina’s newfound western dominion...

Are you playing with HIP?

Also, what year is this? For the Mongols would surely make this an even more... interesting situation.

Oh yes. And i'm not even sure how it happened. I just noticed Europe turned into yellow. With big letters Ashina written over it. I'm even not certain how they changed from Khazaria to Ashina, though I suspect it had something to do with them becoming the Basileus and then losing it again. Wild-wild world.

I have no clue what HIP is, so I guess, no.

And it's 913. Mongols are still far off.

Poor Giuditta. :(

One has to feel somewhat sorry for the young lass. Really, for the French Catholics, this is a choice between Scylla and Charybdis.

Estonia rides to France...

Down with Ashina! Glory to Estonia!

Roast Duck
Roast Duck

Go West!

Õigemeel was in his full war gear. All clad in his armor, his trusty axe by his side. The latter has seen its share of war and looting and split skulls. More than one soldier gazed at it, longingly. Superb craftsmanship. Perfectly balanced. Sharp. Sturdy. Few engravings on the handle, but otherwise, plain. A tool meant to do one thing and one thing only- to kill. As efficiently as possible. And worth a King’s ransom. Or, as Õigemeel remembered, the blacksmith charged multiple King’s ransoms for it.

When Õigemeel came to throne, he was already a brilliant commander and his personal combat prowess was the of the legends. Years have only honed these skills, so even his enemies describe him as one of the most brilliant generals in the history of men. Also, they usually run when they see an eldrerly man, holding a round shield with a symbol of red axe in a black background, charging towards them on the battlefield. Better be a coward than a corpse.

Standing on a stone, outside Kalevan, he gazed at his troops. Most of them were from the castles around the city. Tried and true, with whom he had made the entire Europe cower in terror. Next to them, on a separate unit, the best of the followers of Otso. 1500 of the toughest fighters from all over Suomenusko lands, heeding the call of the legendary Hero. Õigemeel had feasted with them, sparred with them. They knew their Hero, knew his prowess in battle. Would follow him to glory or death. First strongly preferable.

Õigemeel grinned. The best warriors in the world, at his command. Then, he let out a small cough.

Within a minute, the entire field grew silent, eyes fixated on him. Almost 12 000 soldiers looked at him in unison.

“Boys,” he bellowed. “I am personally fed up with the looting and the riches. I want to try something new. This time, in addition to plundering their gold, we rob them of their lands and titles! And win glory to Ukko in the process. Who’s with me?”

The crowd cheered back. Then, it was time to board the ships. With almost 12 000 of his best. With her daughters and shieldmaidens, Helmi and Mari, by his side, Õigemeel also entered aboard and before noon, almost 200 Estonian longships started their journey west.

1596891396000.png

Main army, starting their journey to France

Õigemeel did not leave Estonia undefended. Expecting the Khagan to brave the wildlands between Ashina and Estonia, he was fully aware that he will be sailing to France and expecting to be fully busy there. So, he gathered men from the rest of his holdings, and from his vassals. And 7000 strong Sons of Kaleva, a Holy Order dedicated to protecting the Suomenusko. Leaving behind a stronger army then the one he took with him.

1596891372228.png

Sons of Kaleva, at our service.

Arrival

The journey west took two month. Exactly. On 12th of July 913, Estonian troops arrived outside Normandy, only to find out that the recently built fortifications around the mouth of Seine made travel on the river impossible. Or at least, too costly. So, Õigemeel and his merry men disembarked on Evreux. There, shamans gave every soldier a small token- Hammer of Ukko. To be hanged from one’s neck. Showing that the soldier participated in the most noble of all wars. One that is blessed by Ukko. Õigemeel and his daughters showed an example, taking their expensive necklaces and throwing them into Seine river. Instead, adorning the wooden hammer, claiming it to be the most precious of jewels. Incidentally, that resulted in a lot of French taking up diving lessons once the Estonians had passed.

1596891331860.png

Arrival. And the state of Evreux. And it is hammer time!

Evreux was a split country. The French Khagnate only controlled the main castle, while Galicia-Volhynia (Saxons, who also happened to be owners of the City of Constantinople) controlled the rest. One castle was more than enough though. The incursion of Estonians into coastal areas of Europe had forced the local lords to up their defences, but while the Castle of Evreux was now more than just a wooden palisade and central tower, it was nothing compared to Byzantine and Levantine castles. On 24th of July, Estonians had finished their preparations and stormed the castle, brushing aside scared defenders and taking minimal losses. Duke Rangnald of Baden was now one castle short, while Õigemeel had started his Holy War on a very successful note.

1596891304125.png

First castle to fall.

Paris was next. Khanum Gisela, fighting the rebels who did not like the fact that they had to bow to Great Khagan, had taken some of the holdings in the county and Gisela, with her small army of 2000 soldiers, was besieging them. Until in August, the Estonian army arrived. Center, led by Õigemeel, did not even bother with tactics, but charged. King at the front, holding his axe up high and screaming from the top of his lungs.

While the military prowess of Gisela was without question, she had met more then her match. Õigemeel was brilliant in the matters of warfare, ferocious in battle and her daughters, leading the left and right flank, were also commanders like few the world has seen.

The French looked at the charging Estonians. Then, they ran. To be fair, they shat themselves and ran. Then, the Estonian light cavalry galloped past and charged the runners. And it is always easier to fight a man who his fleeing for his life. Gisela lost nearly half of her soldiers that day and pulled back. The first battle, though not even by any standard, was a success.

1596891270276.png

The first battle against Gisela

The Folly of Men

The reaction to Õigemeel’s war was mixed. Of course, fellow Suoumenusko cheered. The nomads of the steppes were not the happiest. Apart from those who did not really like Bulan, they cheered as well. The Christians were just confused, unsure what side to support, but pretty certain they would be on the receiving edge anyway.

The best reaction came from Alfgeir though. A Germanic pagan adventurer, nominally answering to King Wigbert of Saxony, in reality only to himself. As soon as he heard of the war, he made the logical conclusion that King Õigemeel would be fighting in France with his soldiers. From there, he jumped to another conclusion- that the Estonian counties, that are amongst the richest of Europe, would be undefended. His stories of unguarded riches of Kalevan were able to convince enough Saxons and Norseman, hungry for loot and gold, as well.

At the end of August, Alfgeir and his merry men, totalling little over 2000, arrived in the county of Läänemaa. And they were right- Õigemeel was in France, busy taking Paris. Just, the thought of Õigemeel leaving some troops behind apparently never crossed Alfgeir’s mind. Boy, were they in for a surprise when nearly 17 000 Estonians, hearing the news of looting, marched to Läänemaa and descended upon the poor looters. Around half of them were killed. Alfgeir was hanged to a pine and left as a warning, while the remains of his looting party fled for their lives. Penniless and in hostile lands, most perished anyways. Such is the folly of men.

1596891233727.png

This is stupid...

Roast Duck

Khan Sichar the Mutilator of Germany was not the most popular person in Germany. Yes, he had the backing of Great Khagan, Bulan. But that is what irked his Dukes and Counts and Barons. For the Great Khagan did not want you to bend your knee to him. He wanted you to crawl in front of him and kiss the land in front of his feet. Begrudgingly, the German nobles did so, for they were kind of attached to their heads. When Sichar demanded similar practice in front of him (well, after all, the sight of nobles crawling in front of him must have been a pleasure), they did so. Even more begrudgingly, for Sichar was still a Christian Khan, first amongst the equals. But they did not like it by far. Best not to urge the Khan’s tendency to mutilate, after all.

As time passed, the nobles of the realm grew more and more discontent. Not really ready to risk an open revolt yet though, because mutilation is not fun. Instead, a word here, a conversation there. Just some friends having a beer together and reminiscing about the good old times, nothing to see here.

Historians of later periods have speculated that the Estonian attack on France was the final motivator to put the plan in motion. For it seems like the German nobles were certain that Bulan will be too busy with Õigemeel to react properly and with force. That is just that though- speculation. For the conversations amongst good friends tend to leave no paper trail.

All we know is that on 18th October 913, King Sichar the Mutilator of Germany was enjoying a duck, specially prepared for him, during a feast. There are strong suspicions of poison, though the contemporary sources just tend to say that he choked on a bone. Whatever the reason, he died on a spot that evening, not leaving behind a male heir.

The suspicion is based on two things- the general popularity of Sichar and how fast the future events unfolded. King Bertfried II de Chaumontois of Aquitaine was sometimes called the “Toy King”. Mostly because his entire kingdom consisted of the County of Worms, and even from that county, one castle belonged to Ashina. He was there on that fateful feast though. And even before the body of Sichar was removed from the throne room, the German nobles kneeled in front of Bertfried II and proclaimed him the new King of Germany. Bertfried accepted.

An hour ago, he was just a Toy King. Now, his realm extended from Iberian Peninsula to Frisia in the North. From Brittany in the West to Germany in the East. Of course, this was more spots of the lands amongst the territories of Ashina, Saxony and Galicia-Volhynia, but still, Bertfried became one of the most powerful men in Europe almost overnight. Was it because he was at the right time in the right place? Or did he also enjoy reminiscing amongst the select cadre of men? We never know for sure. We know though that Bertfried refused to kiss the ground in front of Bulan and suggested that if the Great Khan wants kissing so much, then the Great Khan is free to kiss his butt. One duck had changed the fate and power balance of Europe and curbed the Ashina influence to half.

1596891150558.png

From Toy King to one of the most powerful men in Europe. All thanks to a duck.

As for Õigemeel, he returned the castle of Evreux to Rangnald of Baden, for Rangland swore loyalty to Bertfried and therefore was not part of Ashina no more. He was more than happy to do it, for it meant much less opposition to him.

Former King Sichar was not just the King of Germany though, but also of Austrasia and Burgundy. Through some miracle and thanks to Khan’s soldiers, his sole child, Magnatrude, was able to hold into these lands. Ruling as Khanum Magnatrude of Austrasia, Khan Bulan now has two Khanums in Europe. And much less land.

1596891117229.png

The daughter of Sichar got the smaller half

Sichar the Mutilator. One of the wicked siblings had found his unfortunate early grave at the age of 40. Only one left. Gisela “The Monster”.

1596891191124.png

Rest well, Sichar. Few will miss you. At least , you were crowned like a proper Christian Khan.

That is what makes Crusader Kings one of the best. As I do my thing, the other characters do their thing. And sometimes, things like this happen. Poor mr Mutilator murdered, not because of Õigemeel plotting, but because either his vassals being unhappy with him or something. And suddenly, i'm down to much less opposition because of that.

Poor Giuditta. :(

Well, as we tend to say in Estonia. Life is tough, but unfair.
Though I imagine ending up as a war sacrifice to great bear is not a way anyone wants to go.

One has to feel somewhat sorry for the young lass. Really, for the French Catholics, this is a choice between Scylla and Charybdis.

Oh well, if it weren't her, it would have been someone else.
Should have moved away from the sea.

And yes, there is no way this ends up being something good for the Catholics.

Estonia rides to France...

Down with Ashina! Glory to Estonia!

More like sails to France. Riding there would leave half of Europe burning.
But thus far, thus glorious.