• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Knight's Tale would be a cool DLC. A feel like there used to be a load of Gelderland AARs on here years back, but obviously they were quite abstract…

• 1Like
Reactions:
Knight's Tale would be a cool DLC. A feel like there used to be a load of Gelderland AARs on here years back, but obviously they were quite abstract…
I'm holding back on finishing the Irish game until the patch comes and I can play with it for the last few decades to review for Life of Brian.

Makes perfect sense from a story perspective too, I suppose. They've beaten everyone else, so now they start dicking around with each other instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That does make perfect sense, you’re right. Plenty of japes in store.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That does make perfect sense, you’re right. Plenty of japes in store.
However, of course, we are assuming some form of logic from paradox. So far from being a nordic, tribal or nomadic expansion, or a way of life/knights tale dlc, it could be something compeltly different like adding republics back in, or naval warfare or something...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would enjoy running a merchant republic whose main export was poetry.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would enjoy running a merchant republic whose main export was poetry.
They stay alive only because everyone is terrified of being captured and read first year poetry.

Different exports and resources would be an interesting thing to put in game. CK2 never really had any kind of trade system, beyond some on map stuff like silk road modifiers and trade outposts. What they actually sold etc was never shown.

Of course, to have a proper merchant Republic mechanic, you also need trade fleets, which requires naval mechanics in general and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Of course, to have a proper merchant Republic mechanic, you also need trade fleets, which requires naval mechanics in general and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.
You under-estimate Paradox and their ability to badly abstract things. I can absolutely see overseas trade routes by 'fleet' which consists of an arrow connecting two points. There might even be a percentage reduction to the trade flow if you are at war to represent the enemy fleet raiding, but that could be a step too far.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You under-estimate Paradox and their ability to badly abstract things. I can absolutely see overseas trade routes by 'fleet' which consists of an arrow connecting two points. There might even be a percentage reduction to the trade flow if you are at war to represent the enemy fleet raiding, but that could be a step too far.

That's doable in ck2 right now, would just require a small addition to trade posts.

So may well end up the way in ck3, although of course there, boats don't exist at all so quite how the trade posts operate, no one really knows.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Clearly, they have Star Trek transporters.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems I was right...
It seems I was right:

The flavour pack is indeed a flavour pack and it is indeed based on the nordic tribes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sounds like fun. Maybe my next AAR should be a Norse one...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sounds like fun. Maybe my next AAR should be a Norse one...
Looking forward to 'viking haircuts', considering most wore them in simple braids or shaved their heads.

I think this actually means 'dwarven' haircuts.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems I was right:

The flavour pack is indeed a flavour pack and it is indeed based on the nordic tribes.
The title "The Northern Lords" summons an image of a North of England themed DLC with excessive amounts of whippets, flat caps and Sean Bean. None of these things seem in evidence, so I fear this will be a bitter disappointment. Or would be if I weren't not already familiar with Paradox.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The title "The Northern Lords" summons an image of a North of England themed DLC with excessive amounts of whippets, flat caps and Sean Bean. None of these things seem in evidence, so I fear this will be a bitter disappointment. Or would be if I weren't not already familiar with Paradox.
Hmm...note that idea.

Reminds me of the Fry and Laurie sketch about a northerner and southerner getting into a pissing contest.

I should really be getting on with updating the sequel, but been distracted with economic studies of the 11th century, trying to figure out how Ireland's economy would actually work. And it being increasingly clear that they're utterly screwed.

Which...actually makes a lot of sense given what they do next. Huh.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have now read this AAR twice, once before playing CK3 for the first time and once after. This is the BEST thing I've ever seen on the forums! Your humorous insights into the strange idiosyncrasies of this game's tutorial kept coming back into my mind as I stumbled my way through an amateurish first playthrough. While no vanquished foe marched into the sea before me, and my upstart reign cut short due entirely to player error, (I think that was the cause) I did have fun and Ged's plight is to blame. I kept comparing my experience to his and saying to myself: "At least I'm doing better than Ged." Right up until the CK3 gods looked at me and said: "Oh, you think so?" and hit me the the "Game Over" screen with all the force of a ton of bricks.

So let me thank you for writing a highly entertaining AAR, one that convinced me to pick up the game and walk away from my first playthrough with my spymaster's favorite knife in my back, along with zero regrets.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have now read this AAR twice, once before playing CK3 for the first time and once after. This is the BEST thing I've ever seen on the forums! Your humorous insights into the strange idiosyncrasies of this game's tutorial kept coming back into my mind as I stumbled my way through an amateurish first playthrough. While no vanquished foe marched into the sea before me, and my upstart reign cut short due entirely to player error, (I think that was the cause) I did have fun and Ged's plight is to blame. I kept comparing my experience to his and saying to myself: "At least I'm doing better than Ged." Right up until the CK3 gods looked at me and said: "Oh, you think so?" and hit me the the "Game Over" screen with all the force of a ton of bricks.

So let me thank you for writing a highly entertaining AAR, one that convinced me to pick up the game and walk away from my first playthrough with my spymaster's favorite knife in my back, along with zero regrets.
I'd say it's hard not to do better than Ged, but given his family end up accidentally end up running the Holy Roman Empire (really), I think they actually did pretty well.

Have you tried the tutorial yourself? It's pretty good, as we have all seen. Bizarre. Cruel. Sadistic. But pretty good.

Excellent to see people discovering CK3 and enjoying the AAR. It's what it's here for.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Have you tried the tutorial yourself? It's pretty good, as we have all seen. Bizarre. Cruel. Sadistic. But pretty good.
I did. I was very amused by how the tutorial just kinda shanghaied me into a marriage immediately after explaining like I had a choice in the matter. As soon as the tutorial was over, that marriage backfired on me. Turns out the spouse I picked was the sibling of the King of France, and he called me up for a completely hopeless war against the HRE. It wasn't the enemy armies that beat me. I just went into debt and things snowballed from there. The tutorial never mentioned that I can disband armies and call them up again later in the war if money is a problem.

However, credit where its due: The Tutorial was pretty good while it lasted, giving me a good idea of how to work the crucial concepts (in a rather forceful way) up until the moment they stopped holding my hand and unceremoniously dropped me into the viper pit, saying "good luck, have fun!"

• 1Like
Reactions:
However, credit where its due: The Tutorial was pretty good while it lasted, giving me a good idea of how to work the crucial concepts (in a rather forceful way) up until the moment they stopped holding my hand and unceremoniously dropped me into the viper pit, saying "good luck, have fun!"
Yeah gets covered in this aar. The 'tutorial' actually goes on for a lot longer than it officially says. At least the entire length of Ged's rule, plus a bit more. Which is good, because otherwise it would be a terrible intro to the game. Didn't even touch the council or proper family stuff.

But it is or seems to be an easier game to learn. Intuitive etc

• 1Like
Reactions:
The 'tutorial' actually goes on for a lot longer than it officially says.
Honestly, that's secretly brilliant. The occasional nudge to remind me that "Yes you can do that" or "Keep an eye on this" is far more helpful than VIR's frequent interruptions and longwinded explanations. That tutorial robot has caused me to outlaw AI by instinct whenever I boot up Stellaris.

• 1Haha
Reactions: