• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those English lords are faithless vipers. If the story was going to continue into Guilhem's reign, I'd be legitimately worried for his future prospects. Then again, I can hardly wait to see what the repercussions are; hopefully Aevis' clumsy scheming gets nipped in the bud.

Regarding the future fiction spinoff... It kind of has to be Foulques, doesn't it? He's not quite my favourite character in the story (that would probably be Aléarde, Agnes or Hervé), but he is definitely the focal point. Everything that successive generations deal with is rooted in him or the fallout from his actions. It would be interesting to explore some events (like Thoræd's crusade, and Ælfflæd's life in Tunis) in detail, and from other perspectives, and that's not always easily done in a narrative AAR where you want the story to be more tightly focused on the main family/dynasty.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Geoffrey may have tried to escape. And he's absolutely right insofar as it is a mess, no matter what Bérard says. But all these escapes in the manor have ended up as not escapes at all, but rather dragged him deeper into the muck of the English throne. Aevis making her move, the new Cardinal arriving, Hlothere blabbering about the plot, and naturally also Bérard's pep talk.

The mess is here. But all the experience he has amassed so far, the capable advisors he has gathered, they may all achieve to guide him out of there.

The marriage options of his children will truly be observed closely. Will they be used to intensify the bonds to England, or shall Geoffrey look beyond? Hungary has already become Angevin after all, even if most in Aquitaine have all but forgotten it. And should the day come when the kingdom and the HRE come to blows, Hungary may be a useful ally. But Geoffrey's focus is in the west.

Then again, should Emmanuèl's hopes be fulfilled, he won't be able to dodge the HRE's constant excommunications any longer.
(And of course, Pope Victor praises Geoffrey's bravery. But I do think he's more interested in how the King handles his sword... ;))

Reactions:
Almost done with college. I haven't caught up. As for a stand alone work, I think Geoffrey 3 would be the best protagonist. He is whiney sure, but the least morally depraved, and the one I feel easiest for audiences to root for. The beginning of his reign works best as we have a constellation of experienced people who remember the past, and the new guard. Plus Geoffrey 2 is the character most shaped by you. Foulques was an already existing historical figure, and the AI turned Geoffrey 1 into a man whore and sister screwer. You were the one who chose almost everything about Geoffrey 2.
I would add the rest of the story as revelations. Finding out your father slept with his sister would shatter some impressions. I would also recommend simplifying some things. Ness's brood coming from Allerade would in my opinion make them much more compelling "antagonists" especially if you hinted Foulques had promised her marriage, and thus they might in fact be the legitimate Angevin line, and not Haldora's children. Geoffrey's love life should also be simplified. Anna de Periograd works great as a childhood friend and a more sympathetic portrait of medieval adultery, as well as a bit of a call back to Allerade. Essa is a political actor in her own right and shows Geoffrey 2 is willing to cross a line that held back even his father. Even if you find Geoffery 2 lacking in the substance deparment, which I am sure most of us have at some point, his early reign consists of by far the most interesting supporting cast.

Foulques...their is no way to make his relationship with women sympathetic and have it anywhere close to being what it is in this story. We only tolerated it because of historical accuracy and our low view of the time period in general. People will tollerate these sorts of things in a fantasy world, but I don't think they will do so for a protagonist. Likewise his goal is rather two bit. He wants to become a powerful Duke. After that he spends the last third of the story fighting a hopeless war to keep Philip on the throne, banging his stepdaughter, and getting into fights with his son. His son founds a kingdom, and his grandson wants to consolidate that Kingdom and live up to his father's legacy. His memory works well in the backstory as the way people of Agnes's generation remember him would parallel the way people of Geoffrey 2's generation remember Geoffrey 1.

As for Geoffrey 1, well to put it bluntly nobody likes a sister fucker. Frankly a lot of the Angevins would work really well as compelling villains in other stories. They may be more interesting. But outside gameplay reasons and my investment in this AAR I honestly can't say I've found many reasons to root for the Angevins over their competition.

Sorry for dropping off and sorry if I sound like I am writing an adaptation for you. It's just that I've had so many ideas for changes that could be made to this story. I can vomit them out for you if you are interested.

Now that I think about it their are pro's and cons to each of the main characters. I will list them out when I have the time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Since they have not caught up yet, shall split this comment with the response to @JSB217118 in the next one.

Those English lords are faithless vipers. If the story was going to continue into Guilhem's reign, I'd be legitimately worried for his future prospects. Then again, I can hardly wait to see what the repercussions are; hopefully Aevis' clumsy scheming gets nipped in the bud.

Regarding the future fiction spinoff... It kind of has to be Foulques, doesn't it? He's not quite my favourite character in the story (that would probably be Aléarde, Agnes or Hervé), but he is definitely the focal point. Everything that successive generations deal with is rooted in him or the fallout from his actions. It would be interesting to explore some events (like Thoræd's crusade, and Ælfflæd's life in Tunis) in detail, and from other perspectives, and that's not always easily done in a narrative AAR where you want the story to be more tightly focused on the main family/dynasty.

There's a limit to what can be done at the moment, but as is often the case in CK2, some of this is going to get driven by those I have no control over. I still try to interfere in England when I can, but it's not always easy. There is one event that I'm not sure played a role in the AI calculations but it certainly will for story purposes. And it's not too far off chapter-wise. I think maybe three or four chapters off? If that! (It might get mention in the chapter after next, but I'm not sure. A lot of events happen over this span and part of it is making it work storyline wise) But obviously, Aevis gets a major part in the coming events.

Foulques makes sense if I go one way with this - in fact, he features prominently in both my options. I'll explain in the next comment to @JSB217118 who left that long message, but I think I've come to a couple of conclusions as I play around with adapting this. So read on!

Geoffrey may have tried to escape. And he's absolutely right insofar as it is a mess, no matter what Bérard says. But all these escapes in the manor have ended up as not escapes at all, but rather dragged him deeper into the muck of the English throne. Aevis making her move, the new Cardinal arriving, Hlothere blabbering about the plot, and naturally also Bérard's pep talk.

The mess is here. But all the experience he has amassed so far, the capable advisors he has gathered, they may all achieve to guide him out of there.

The marriage options of his children will truly be observed closely. Will they be used to intensify the bonds to England, or shall Geoffrey look beyond? Hungary has already become Angevin after all, even if most in Aquitaine have all but forgotten it. And should the day come when the kingdom and the HRE come to blows, Hungary may be a useful ally. But Geoffrey's focus is in the west.

Then again, should Emmanuèl's hopes be fulfilled, he won't be able to dodge the HRE's constant excommunications any longer.
(And of course, Pope Victor praises Geoffrey's bravery. But I do think he's more interested in how the King handles his sword... ;))

A mess entirely of Geoffrey's making of course. And in true Geoffrey nature, he digs himself a little deeper. Dirtied up with English politics? Sure, let's throw in some papal intrigue in there for good measure! Geoffrey has all his father's ambition, but at times, I think he's not nearly as aware of it, if that makes sense. It comes out, like with his conversation with his son in the chapter before, but there was a calculated nature to Geoffrey I's schemes. With Geoff 2... he just kind of jumps at opportunities as they come.

And while individual efforts have been hit or miss, he's ultimately come out the better, most of the time.

The marriage question is interesting, because I could set up to repeat this gambit with Guilhem (and why not, since I'm not officially playing beyond). Or with three kids, you could knock England's lords and ladies out of factions pretty easily, making it a small rebellion or no rebellion at all. But there's also the fact that maybe a rebellion would be worthwhile for Geoffrey and Elf. If they can crush it, it weeds out troublesome lords.

I will say you won't have to wait that long to find out. Within two years of gametime, the first betrothal is sorted out. You'll be able to see from there where it's headed.

Heh, I knew you'd catch that little bit about the Pope's preferences for the king. I was surprised his opinion of Geoffrey was that high since they'd never met but one look at Victor's traits explained all.

To all - still working on the next chapter, while also playing around a bit with the adaptation idea. As I said, I'm trying to do a semi-holiday theme (or at least setting) for the chapter, highlighting some of "love" that is going around the realm, including with the Angevin family itself. But we'll see how it shakes out - I've got some conversations written and others sketches for.

For the adaptation, more on my thoughts in the next comment.

As always thanks for your excellent feedback and commentary! You are always much appreciated and best wishes to you all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Almost done with college. I haven't caught up. As for a stand alone work, I think Geoffrey 3 would be the best protagonist. He is whiney sure, but the least morally depraved, and the one I feel easiest for audiences to root for. The beginning of his reign works best as we have a constellation of experienced people who remember the past, and the new guard. Plus Geoffrey 2 is the character most shaped by you. Foulques was an already existing historical figure, and the AI turned Geoffrey 1 into a man whore and sister screwer. You were the one who chose almost everything about Geoffrey 2.
I would add the rest of the story as revelations. Finding out your father slept with his sister would shatter some impressions. I would also recommend simplifying some things. Ness's brood coming from Allerade would in my opinion make them much more compelling "antagonists" especially if you hinted Foulques had promised her marriage, and thus they might in fact be the legitimate Angevin line, and not Haldora's children. Geoffrey's love life should also be simplified. Anna de Periograd works great as a childhood friend and a more sympathetic portrait of medieval adultery, as well as a bit of a call back to Allerade. Essa is a political actor in her own right and shows Geoffrey 2 is willing to cross a line that held back even his father. Even if you find Geoffery 2 lacking in the substance deparment, which I am sure most of us have at some point, his early reign consists of by far the most interesting supporting cast.

Foulques...their is no way to make his relationship with women sympathetic and have it anywhere close to being what it is in this story. We only tolerated it because of historical accuracy and our low view of the time period in general. People will tollerate these sorts of things in a fantasy world, but I don't think they will do so for a protagonist. Likewise his goal is rather two bit. He wants to become a powerful Duke. After that he spends the last third of the story fighting a hopeless war to keep Philip on the throne, banging his stepdaughter, and getting into fights with his son. His son founds a kingdom, and his grandson wants to consolidate that Kingdom and live up to his father's legacy. His memory works well in the backstory as the way people of Agnes's generation remember him would parallel the way people of Geoffrey 2's generation remember Geoffrey 1.

As for Geoffrey 1, well to put it bluntly nobody likes a sister fucker. Frankly a lot of the Angevins would work really well as compelling villains in other stories. They may be more interesting. But outside gameplay reasons and my investment in this AAR I honestly can't say I've found many reasons to root for the Angevins over their competition.

Sorry for dropping off and sorry if I sound like I am writing an adaptation for you. It's just that I've had so many ideas for changes that could be made to this story. I can vomit them out for you if you are interested.

Now that I think about it their are pro's and cons to each of the main characters. I will list them out when I have the time.

No worries. Life comes first! And I appreciate your in-depth thoughts.

I'll be honest - when I started really thinking about adapting this, I also thought Geoffrey 2 would be the best option. But I'm not sure now, for reasons I'll detail below. That said, the reasons you lay out are similar to my own thoughts. He is the most "redeemable" though perhaps also the most realistically annoying. And yes, his supporting cast is by far the most fleshed out and interesting. Part of that is certainly that some were developed before - Agnes and Essa in particular - but nothing that couldn't be dealt with in the beginning.

I do agree that Foulques works best as character in the world he lived in. In a work of historical fiction, I think he is perfectly fine as a lead. I was playing around with some dialogue and setting today for the first chapter - a meeting with Duke Guilhem of Aquitaine - and the idea that this a 22-year-old man, fighting with his brother for a quickly shrinking Angevin legacy... to set it on the course where his descendants would sit on two thrones, could be a compelling story. I mean, that was why I started this AAR to begin with - to see if I could repeat history.

Outside of that setting, Foulques would need to be tweaked a bit. Not too much, because the demonic bloodline is always a draw, but certainly some.

Yeah, Geoffrey I has numerous issues for his suitability for a lead. I pretty much came to that conclusion early on, though not exactly for the same reasons you did. I'll explain below, but ultimately, his story, while I like the intrigue, is far too reliant on his father's to make it work.

You can certainly send me your ideas. My poor wife had to listen to me talk about it enough! As I outline below, part of my decision making is going to be limited by what route to go down for actual genre of the adaptation.

So to anyone interested (and no worries if you're not!), ultimately this is the way I see this: an adaptation can either be historical fiction, an entirely fictional world, or transplanting the characters to a modern setting but in a different profession (business, politics... but not dukes/duchesses/kings). That kind of narrows my choices down.

Geoffrey I is out in all of these. His character doesn't work as an initial lead. So much of his backstory is set up by what came before. I like a lot of his story, but it very much was a continuation of Foulques in a way that Geoffrey 2... isn't of Geoffrey I.

The historical fiction
route has some benefits. It requires no change of setting. Most of the initial characters were real and the ones that were not - (Foulques' lowborn councilors and, most prominently, Beatritz de Poitou) could still be added since medieval records on family are farrrrr from perfect.

But it also has some drawbacks. Unless I were writing an Alt-History, it would have to have major historical figures end up where they should be by the end. And I don't think Alt-History works unless it's a major, major event or something fairly recent. (What if the Confederacy won the Civil War/What if the Axis won World War II for example.)

That would mean some fairly big shifts would have to happen. The biggest probably involves old Geoffrey I, who's counterpart that I based his initial personality/conflict with his father on, didn't outlive his father and thus could not exactly continue the story. Oh and no Rouen.

But all would not be lost. Looking through some of the people of the time, there's certainly ways I could take stories from this AAR and fit them into Foulques life. I mean, I kind of tried to do the reverse in this story already. Like his relationship with Aines was meant to be reminiscent of the real life figure's supposed lust for Bertrade de Montfort (though the real life relationship ended even worse for Foulques, since she left him for Philip I). And while it is Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt, but the page about Foulques' real life eldest daughter Ermengarde is absolutely wild. Working Agnes into that would kind of be fun!

Still not everything could work, so I don't know how much interest there would be in that. And it would require plenty of research to do well. I do some already, of course, but probably would need to be on a grander scale (anyone know a good book about the histories of late 11th century Frankish medieval lords?).

That also means there's no other character options here but Foulques since he's the only "real" character. Geoffrey II kind of is - a 15-year-old handed a ton of land and set up with an older English bride, but aside from having his wife fight for the English crown, and the womanizing, there aren't a lot of similarities. (The real Geoffrey mostly kept his warring during the Anarchy to seizing Normandy, which he was successful at, but stayed out of England.)

A straight fictional fantasy's benefit is that the story could mostly go unchanged, aside from some tweaks to make the story more streamlined/tighter. Names would likely be changed, but ultimately the crux of the story would be the same.

Fantasy's issue is that there usually needs to be some... fantastical element to it! And while the supernatural has been hinted at, it's never really been overt. Even something like Song of Fire and Ice, which, in my opinion is at its best when it's not messing with fantasy and just doing the political intrigue, still has dragons and zombies. In some ways, I feel like that's more of an issue than retrofitting the stories to fit certain characters in historical fiction - that requires world re-imagining.

But again, it offers much more flexibility in story and characters. Foulques or Geoffrey II would work here as leads.

And the last option is just retelling it in a modern setting. Which still requires reimagining, and it's hard to say how well this would translate into a contemporary setting. But that would enable me to use most of the plots and characters from the story without having to figure out fantastical elements. So that's a plus. Again, Foulques or Geoffrey II work here.

So yeah, that's where I stand. I'm leaning the historical fiction route at the moment, cause I do think the setting is really rich and history has always been my first love. But my mind can and probably will change. So, further input, if any of you have it and want to share, is always appreciated! Thanks for reading/listening!

Reactions:
She did not thank the king or queen for their time, but that was hardly a surprise. Geoffrey watched her go, still annoyed, and still ready to unleash the might of Aquitaine on her.
In England, these things always seem to end in simmering rebellion, and a sword in the gizzards or an axe to the neck of the miserable loser.
Ælfflæd shook her head. “It’s like you want to drive them to the arms of our enemies.”

“Somerset is among our enemies,” Geoffrey said. “Nothing I say will change that. Or do you not trust our son’s word?”
But if you belittle and abuse them, then their pride alone will cause them to strike their banners against us!
Sometimes he really did prefer to just crush England’s lords - confident that they could not beat him.
Provoking and then crushing all the rebels would be a way to clear out the snake pit, but really it’s Elf’s snake pit at the moment and Geoff doesn’t have immediate control or recourse.
his son Ancel claiming he was not in the best of health.
His spies said Foulquesson did not seem near death. But if he wasn’t, why didn’t he demand to join Geoffrey’s campaign? Not that Geoffrey missed him - it just seemed odd.
His ailments look nasty enough, but I suppose he has been on the brink of oblivion for years now and just keeps grinding on. There is smoke here, though. What is he up to?
Hlothere seemed to want to get Geoffrey’s attention, like a child trying to impress his father with all he knew. And in doing so, Geoffrey became convinced that amounted to very little.
Geoff needs insect repellent here, but I suppose even a cockroach can hear useful things when scurrying along the skirting boards, as he proves later.
“Adelise is a snake,” Geoffrey said. “She has offered to murder a child. Her loyalties are to herself and no one else. She would betray us in a heartbeat if she saw an opportunity to further herself.”
Sounds like a typical English lord of the period!
His escape was foiled by again Duke Hlothere of Northumbria
“They wish to incite a rebellion against you,” Hlothere said. “To restore the Duchess Ecgwyn to the throne.”
She has support from Duchess Aevis of Lancaster.
Ah, it didn’t even take until the end of the chapter to emerge. A substantive plot, but not yet a full blown danger.
“Yes. I got a bit… overexcited there. It is never easy to hear of plots against your rule.”
Against Elf, not Geoff. As Berard points out.
But if you appreciate her, and treat her with the respect you wish these English lords would give the two of you, then you will make a strong England and with it a strong Aquitaine.
Wise words that seem to be appreciated by Geoff: but can he apply himself without lapsing again and ruining it all? He keeps complaining about all the snakes in England, without understanding that the most dangerous one of all lurks under his own doublet! :D

Reactions:
In England, these things always seem to end in simmering rebellion, and a sword in the gizzards or an axe to the neck of the miserable loser.

Provoking and then crushing all the rebels would be a way to clear out the snake pit, but really it’s Elf’s snake pit at the moment and Geoff doesn’t have immediate control or recourse.

His ailments look nasty enough, but I suppose he has been on the brink of oblivion for years now and just keeps grinding on. There is smoke here, though. What is he up to?
Geoff needs insect repellent here, but I suppose even a cockroach can hear useful things when scurrying along the skirting boards, as he proves later.
Sounds like a typical English lord of the period!

Ah, it didn’t even take until the end of the chapter to emerge. A substantive plot, but not yet a full blown danger.
Against Elf, not Geoff. As Berard points out.
Wise words that seem to be appreciated by Geoff: but can he apply himself without lapsing again and ruining it all? He keeps complaining about all the snakes in England, without understanding that the most dangerous one of all lurks under his own doublet! :D

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to keep up the facade of saying "will this happen?" when we all kind of know it is going to happen. So, I've kind of not bothered to go that route here. I mean, everyone here can see England is headed for an internal fight. The only questions are really: A. How large is it going to be and B. Who lines up with who?

To be honest, the only things that saved Ælfflæd's father from this is that he had a bunch of buffs from the Crusade and the Norman duchesses father, Robert, was murdered by Muslim assassins. If Robert survived, he would have almost certainly rebelled for the crown, as he had a claim (his daughters do not, which is why Aevis has to 'fabricate' a claim for one). And of course, the English lords immediately turned on Thoraed's grandson, not even a week into his reign. This is just their nature - and it's something Geoffrey actually has no real experience with! Even his uncles have been tame in comparison to this snake pit.

But basically, England was always going to see a revolt at some point. If I had control, I'm not sure I'd manage it or provoke it, but as you say, Geoffrey can't do either right now directly, aside from getting Prince Geoffrey betrothed which I think would give Elf the non-aggression pact as well. But that's just one lord or lady, tops.

Foulquesson impressed me with his refusal to die despite the loads of health issues he's had. The guy is literally falling apart at this point, but his will is something else. There is *something* coming on that front as well. That one though, I'll leave a bit more shrouded in mystery. That bit was to remind people he does still live.

So, your comment made me fully grasp that I didn't really stretch out the hint of intrigue, which I normally do. In this case, I think it was because there's just a lot going on over the next year and a half of gameplay that it's hard to fit it all in. So it's almost a rush to set up the players in what's to follow. If I wouldn't say it's harmless - it would have been exceptionally dangerous had I not chosen to play a certain way - but it's probably not as bad as it could be.

Geoffrey fully stick to a lesson? ;)

In all seriousness, Berard has good points here, but he also doesn't address an important issue - what if Geoffrey's plans simply run counter to Ælfflæd's? As he says, they are two separate rulers. Yes, they need to come together and compromise... but what if that simply isn't possible in a given situation? For example, in this situation, Ælfflæd has reason to care about the Holy Lands and forging her own reputation. Geoffrey had limited reason to before... and he arguably has even less reason to now, because Emmanuel has practically told him there's a far grander Christian/reputation building enterprise that he can take part. So... how do you compromise that?

The affairs were certainly an initial driver of the discord between husband and wife. But lately, it has been far more their respective power and authority running up against their own personal foibles, for lack of a better word. And as they are both pulled deeper and deeper into their own realms, that's probably not going to change. They'll certainly have moments of harmony, especially when threatened, but it will be often hard to compromise when they're not threatened.

Basically, Berard is right in principle but his talk kind of goes like this:

1. Plan to bring England and Aquitaine together but aligning two very different people into similar set of goals
2. ????????
3. PROFIT!!!

As always @Bullfilter , excellent analysis and a most enjoyable read. You always have a way of getting me talking to the point where I have to be careful at how many spoilers I want to "leak" out in my response. :)

Reactions:
@JabberJock14 Pretty sure I’ve become “addicted” to this story lol I find myself refreshing this page every day at random times and especially when I’m bored, your book really is fantastic, sorry I’ve not commented in yonks! Anyways, *sniffs* when’s that next hit man *sniffs and paces aggressively* ;p

• 1Like
Reactions:
@JabberJock14 Pretty sure I’ve become “addicted” to this story lol I find myself refreshing this page every day at random times and especially when I’m bored, your book really is fantastic, sorry I’ve not commented in yonks! Anyways, *sniffs* when’s that next hit man *sniffs and paces aggressively* ;p

Appreciate your compliment and your hunger for more! Sorry I haven't updated as frequently as of late, but the chapters have been harder to turn out for a variety of reasons. The good news is your fix comes shortly - I'll be posting the next chapter later today.

The bad news is I expect this to be the last chapter for the year. With the holidays coming up/being here (and my son's birthday) I figure to be fairly busy over the next few weeks, so I doubt I'd be able to get anything out. I will look to get things going again starting after the new year. So January 6 is the hopeful ETA of the chapter after this one.

In the meantime, hope you enjoy this one. A holiday-flavored chapter that I had grand plans for that ultimately had to be scaled down as a large chunk just... didn't do anything. (Geoffrey with his siblings, while entertaining, didn't actually further the plot in any meaningful way. Maybe I'll post it as an aside in the future)

Instead I retooled and made this nearly entirely an Ælfflæd chapter. "Nearly" because I break my usual habits here and do include a change of perspective to Geoffrey at the end. Hope it's not too jarring.

In any case, stay warm (if you are in the Northern Hemisphere), stay safe and have a happy holidays! Thanks as always for your support, feedback and patience!

Reactions:
Chapter 273 - December 1139
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 273
December 1139 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

I knew I was right.

Ælfflæd stood solemnly in the front row of pews in the cathedral in Bordeaux, her hands on the shoulders of her daughter Margo. And Ælfflæd’s eyes were on the dais where Cardinal Emmanuel stood… and her husband Geoffrey knelt.

In the clergyman's hands was a sword. It didn’t look like anything important at first glance. But it apparently held a special significance.

“This sword was that of Odo the Great, Duke of Aquitaine,” Emmanuel spoke in Occitan, having completed his sermon. “Odo, 400 years ago, inflicted the first great victory of Christendom against the heathen invaders when he defeated them at Toulouse.”

And failed at keeping them out, Ælfflæd thought. She had heard the story from Adelise a few days before - Odo’s victory had been temporary. A few years later, the heathens had returned and sacked Bordeaux, forcing Odo to turn to Charles Martel for aid. Charles had answered the call, permanently turning back the heathens at Tours.

Emmanuel, naturally, cleaned this up a bit.

“Though the heathens would return,” the cardinal continued, “And Bordeaux would suffer, Odo was not deterred, joining forces with Charles the Hammer, and forever banishing them from north of the Pyrenees with their victory at Tours!”

Ælfflæd bowed her head, as many others did, in a show of respect toward the man.

Emmanuel continued: “A few years later, Odo would surrender his titles, and live out the remainder of his days in a monastery. There he left his sword when he died, where it would await another man to pick it up and cut a swath through the heathens once again. And now, that day has surely come.”

Emmanuel turned to Geoffrey. “King Geoffrey, your victory at Lydford against those who would strike against England, besting the Caliphate of Egypt. Having saved the island, as Odo once did for Toulouse and Aquitaine, no man has proven more deserving of wielding the great his sword.”

To that, Ælfflæd had to resist rolling her eyes.

My father reclaimed the Holy Lands for Christendom, and now Geoffrey is the most deserving Christian in 400 years, she asked herself. It was true that her father had lost much of those victories, but Geoffrey had not won this war yet either - nor did he intend to.

After all, Geoffrey had already told both Prince Guilhem and Ælfflæd herself that he would not be taking the war to the Holy Lands, letting England’s forces stand on their own, come what may.

“Is that truly honoring your ancestor?” Ælfflæd had snapped at Geoffrey a few days before.

Geoffrey had simply smirked. “Odo didn’t go into Iberia either. And he wasn’t my ancestor.”

And that was that. This whole thing was a show to further raise her husband’s reputation in the eyes of Aquitaine, England and Christendom. Which is exactly what she had promised him when she had gone down this path, without his consent.

That Ælfflæd had been proven right proved a small consolation, since Geoffrey didn’t appear to see it, believing his brilliance to be the reason for the success at Lydford. Nor did he feel his responsibilities in receiving this honor meant he was required to do anything beyond it.

Still, even Ælfflæd couldn’t help but feel a bit of pride in the whole thing - this was indirectly her doing, and he was her husband. The cathedral was filled to the brim with nobles from both Aquitaine and England, along with knights, merchants and whoever could squeeze in. That wasn’t a huge surprise - it was Christmas Day after all.

Geoffrey had timed their return to Bordeaux to correspond with one of the holiest days of the year. No it wasn’t Easter, but it was a day that had been a special one for kings. Charlemagne had been proclaimed Roman Emperor in Rome on Christmas Day. William the Bastard had been crowned King of England on Christmas Day as well.

And Geoffrey nearly had been crowned too.

Originally, her husband wanted to be crowned King of England. Naturally, the English clergy refused, which didn’t exactly shock Ælfflæd. But Geoffrey simply turned to Emmanuel and requested he do it, in Bordeaux, claiming he didn’t need be crowned in England - he was king of two realms after all.

The talk made Ælfflæd blanche - he refused to allow such things for her, but prepared to do it himself?

However, Emmanuel talked him out of it, claiming it would look as if he were trying to seize power over the English clergy by doing so. Instead, a Christmas Day honoring of Geoffrey by proclaiming him Christendom’s next great hero was floated as a compromise. Geoffrey eagerly accepted.

And here they were, Geoffrey taking the sword, rising and vowing to defeat the enemies of Christendom, at home and abroad. It was rousing enough that Ælfflæd struggled to hold back a smile, and had to hold Margo in place after their daughter had begun to jump up and down in excitement.

And in truth, Ælfflæd was a mix of emotions and part of it was a bit of excitement of her own. A hope that perhaps it might spur Geoffrey to further action.

Maybe… maybe, despite his protests, he will think again about going to the Holy Lands, Ælfflæd thought. Maybe…

Was it likely? No. But she had to believe it, for it was one of the few bits of good news she had these days.

While Geoffrey had defeated the heathens in Lydford, the remnants of their army remained on English shores. They were limited to raiding areas that were not well protected by thick walls or castles, but it was still an annoyance for her lords, who believed Geoffrey left the heathens alone to keep them pacified. None had the stomach to actually voice such an opinion to Geoffrey, so they complained privately to Ælfflæd, and then whined further that she had been unable to spur her husband to finish the job.

As much as she was annoyed herself at Geoffrey’s unwillingness to go to the Holy Lands, she felt angry on his behalf that these lords had been protected by her husband all while offering little else to assist.

And yet, if the lords felt Geoffrey wasn’t protecting their interest, then why would they back him and Ælfflæd? Why wouldn’t they rebel?

To make matters worse, neither the heathens nor her discontented lords were among the most pressing of problems.

That came from her cousin. This time it wasn’t Adelise or Aevis - instead it was Ælfflæd’s first cousin, Beorhtfirth, son of her father’s late brother.

Having been residing in Wiltshire, in the court of Ælfflæd’s nephew, King Æthelfirth of Jerusalem, Beorhtfirth had begun to raise a group of men for the purpose of taking the English crown for himself.

Why Æthelfirth was willing to let his cousin do this, since the King of Jerusalem likely wanted to reclaim England himself, Ælfflæd wasn’t sure. Perhaps he hoped for the two sides to weaken each other so he might swoop in.

Or maybe he distrusted Beorhtfirth and figured Ælfflæd and Geoffrey would crush him, removing him permanently. Either way, Beorhtfirth was coming, even if he had yet to publicly declare his intent- Ælfflæd only finding out through the work of her spies.

As of now, her spymaster, Bishop Cytelbearn, had approximated around 5,000 men would stand with her cousin. That would roughly equal what Ælfflæd could call upon… under normal circumstances. But with her men mostly in the Holy Lands, Ælfflæd was essentially undefended in England.

That meant Ælfflæd could either stall for time or go to Geoffrey and ask for aid once more - an ask that might well turn to a beg quickly.

“Or you could deal with him in other means,” Adelise had said. “Surely there are men in your nephew’s court that would like Beorhtfirth gone. I think we should make use of that.”

It was something that made Ælfflæd’s stomach retch. She had turned to murder before, with Burgheard. But that was to protect her son. And that wasn’t against her own family, even if Ed had been a friend once.

And yet, Ælfflæd found herself struggling to think of alternatives. She wanted to be a true queen. The legacy of Boudica. The legacy of Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians. And she wanted to honor her father and grandfather. But it was one thing to want to do those things… it was another to actually succeed.

But whatever Ælfflæd chose, she knew it would have to be orchestrated from Bordeaux - where she was likely to be staying for the foreseeable future.

…..

The reason for her extended stay in Bordeaux was revealed at the feast not long after the sermon and ceremony at the cathedral.

Geoffrey hosted a feast at the palace to commemorate his victory as well as Christmas itself. And there he was able to announce to his court and England’s that Ælfflæd was pregnant once more.

The queen had suspected she was with child in the late summer, but did not tell Geoffrey until about a month ago. She feared he’d immediately force her from England the moment he learned of it though ultimately it did not matter - for Geoffrey was planning on them heading to Bordeaux for Christmas anyway.

Geoffrey took a slow route south, which was to both make certain he arrived on Christmas and to make shows of honoring his family. He stopped at Fontevraud Abbey near Angers, where Geoffrey paid respects to his grandparents, Foulques IV of Anjou and Beatritz de Poitou, along with his Angevin ancestors.

Once he crossed the Loire and into Poitou, Geoffrey paid respects to Duke Guilhem V and Guilhem VIII, his great-great and great-grandfather respectively.

And tonight, Geoffrey honored his father and mother, all by donations of money and land to the church, and then transitioned from his family’s past to its future by announcing Ælfflæd’s pregnancy.

Those announcements were always a strange feeling for her. While Ælfflæd was proud of having three children, and her ability to have more, the fact Geoffrey would make her stand and show off the small swell that was their potential child was always unnerving.

1139-Aelfflaed-pregnant.jpg

Like I more a trophy than anything else - to be shown off like a boar’s head or stag, she thought, though the cheers they received still felt like a much needed affirmation of her value.

Unstated was the fact Ælfflæd would be remaining in Bordeaux for the duration of her pregnancy but everyone who gave it any thought likely realized what was to come. And she couldn’t really argue it as much as she wanted to - her near capture by the Fatimids and her experience while pregnant during the war against England left her wary of being anywhere that was not heavily protected.

After that announcement, a few minor ones were made, including a brief tribute to King Alphonse of the Franks, who had passed earlier in the year. She knew her husband had long plotted to seize land from Alphonse, but his death meant he was no longer an adversary.

Instead, Geoffrey honored Alphonse as a man who was a close ally to his father, and aided Aquitaine in their fight against a mad, tyrannical king. He also saluted Alphonse as a fellow Christian king, who had battled the heathens in Iberia.

There was a brief prayer made for Alphonse’s lone son - the child king Arnault of the Franks - but Ælfflæd was left wondering if the boy’s fate might already be sealed by the one offering the prayer.

1139-Alphonse-dies.jpg

Then after a few more minor tributes, the many guests were allowed to eat and drink. Food was plentiful, as to be expected, though not as much was presented as a normal feast. Geoffrey had been counseled by Emmanuel to make a large show of giving much of his prepared food to the citizens of Bordeaux and the outlying areas and listened to the advice.

Still, Ælfflæd was quite hungry due to her pregnancy and eagerly gorged herself on boar and fish. What she couldn’t do was indulge much in ale, for it unsettled her stomach too easily. The warmth it brought her would have been nice, but being left to vomit all night would not have been.

Besides, she did not plan to retire early. Instead, she hoped to spend the evening after the feast with her family - or at least, the closest family she had.

That did not include any of her siblings. For starters, she doubted her half-siblings, who were children younger than her son, wanted anything to do with her anyway.
Her elder sister Æthelraeda might not have either, given Ælfflæd had vaulted past her claims to take the throne. She had sent her an invitation, but it had been declined, as she was helping her son, now the child Duke of Swabia, with his Christmas celebrations.

1139-Princess-Rae.jpg

She also had invited her eldest son, Prince Guilhem, to join her. But he had asked out - admitting he did not feel comfortable around Duchess Aevis. Ælfflæd was tempted to force him to come anyway - he would have to learn how to deal with plotting vassals eventually - but something about the unease on his face just left her wanting to hug and protect him, rather than force him forward.

So instead, Ælfflæd sat with her cousins, Adelise and Aevis, along with their half-sister Hextilda, and their mother, and her aunt, Duchess Gunhilda of Somerset. Also with them Gunhilda’s youngest brother, Duke Osmund of Kent, along with Osmund’s son and Hextilda’s promised, Ælfsige of Kent.

It may not have been her siblings, but Ælfflæd still was happy to be with them. They had been those she had grown up around, at least before Tunis, and she could feel a greater ease among them, despite difficulties in the past.

And they could freely speak Saxon in Bordeaux. That was always a welcome relief.

“It was a lovely feast,” Osmund said. “It struck the balance of opulence and restraint well.”

Ælfflæd had to agree. The food not only sated her hunger, but also a bit of the frustration with her situation.

“It’s true,” Gunhilda said. “If your husband can provide for us like that when he is in England, then our lords and ladies will be too stuffed to complain of his rule.”

“My rule,” Ælfflæd said.

Gunhilda smirked. “Of course, Elf.”

Ælfflæd rolled her eyes. She decided not to go at her aunt for it, since there was a still a matter of respect from the woman. Gunhilda had known her since she was a babe. And unlike Osmund, who himself was an older child when Ælfflæd was born, Gunhilda was a woman grown. It just commanded a different level of deference.

And besides the smell of wine on her indicated she was already rather drunk.

1139-Gunhilda-of-Somerset.jpg

“I do think this whole thing will provide some measure of confidence for the nobility,” Osmund said. “Those that attended in any case.”

Ælfflæd nodded, given Sigeric of Essex and Duchess Ecgwyn were notable absences. Aevis had revealed to the queen that both feared they might not be permitted to leave Bordeaux if they entered, which Ælfflæd thought was madness, until she considered her husband’s dislike of the English lords and ladies.

Osmund meanwhile was surprisingly coherent, but Adelise had to the queen she had learned he had refrained from indulging in drink during the festivities. And unlike his sister, he did not reek of alcohol.

The others had all indulged to varying degrees. Adelise might have had the most of the group, but aside from her mother, she also weighed the most, so likely handled it better. Hextilda seemed to be the tipiest beside her mother, nearly stumbling while heading to her seat earlier.

“Duke Sigeric and Duchess Ecgwyn do not know what they have missed,” Ælfsige said. “These Occitans know how to feast!”

“Their lands are peaceful,” Adelise said. “Not torn up by years of war. It is little wonder they can produce such bounties.”

“And who’s fault is it that England cannot produce such things?” Aevis wondered.

Ælfflæd frowned. My father and grandfather - and myself. The price of ambition… and devotion.

“Do you blame the queen’s family for that?” Adelise asked.

“I seem to remember it was your great-grandfather who started such things,” Osmund said.

“Did he bring forth Cnut?” Aevis snapped. “Did he bring the Ragnarssons? No, it is the way of things. England is a beautiful, fertile land. And greedy plunderers see it ripe to be raped.”

It was a rather dower perspective, Ælfflæd had to admit to herself. But she wasn’t sure if it was wrong, even if the lands of Aquitaine were capable of rivaling England in most things. Yet from that, she could offer inspiration.

“These lands were not all that different once,” Ælfflæd said. “As the cardinal said today, Bordeaux was sacked 400 years ago. And there was fighting for this duchy a generation ago. Now? As you say, the lands produce an impressive bounty. That too can be England, in time.”

“Ah yes, we shall see England turned into Aquitaine,” Hextilda said. “A joyous time that will be indeed.”

Ælfflæd glared at her cousin. She had not spoken that much with Hextilda, and assumed her to be supportive of her. But it appeared she might have held her father Somerset’s opinions.

“England will be England, Aquitaine will be Aquitaine,” Adelise said. “And together we will see a greater prosperity than any of us have… seen before.”

Hextilda rolled her eyes. But Adelise kept at her.

“What? Have you a problem with what I say?” the Duchess of Mercia demanded.

“I have said too much,” Hextilda said. “I do not wish to insult my cousin. She does what she can.”

“What I can…” Ælfflæd said. She could feel the accusation - that try as she might, she could not stop Geoffrey from turning England into his fief.

“She does much,” Aevis said, drawing a raise of the brow from both Ælfflæd and Adelise. “I know for a fact she teaches Prince Guilhem in our ways, so that he would not forget his people.”

“Guilhem is not our people,” Ælfsige grunted. “He is Occitan. If he learns manners from his father, there is hope, but he is not Saxon.”

“Manners from his father?!” Ælfflæd snapped. But she caught herself. She had to be careful in how she denigrated her husband to others - especially a young man who would likely inherit Kent one day. If he had a good opinion of her husband, he was likely to have a better opinion of them all in general.

She took a deep breath and looked at Ælfsige squarely. “Yes, let us pray he does. But know that my son knows our ways and customs. Your cousins can vouch for how long he has spoken our language.”

“Since he was a small boy,” Adelise said.

“So I shall have no further questioning of your future king, cousin,” Ælfflæd warned. “Just because you lost a melee against him.”

Ælfsige’s eyes widened. “I did not lose fairl--”

“Ælfsige!” Osmund exclaimed. “We have been over this. It is done.”

Ælfsige frowned. “Yes, father. It is done.”

Meanwhile, Gunhilda simply laughed. “Oh my. Nephew, you lie as poorly as our queen does!”

“Excuse me?” Ælfflæd demanded.

“Oh, my dear,” Gunhilda said as she grabbed Ælfflæd’s hand. “It has always been adorable is all.”

Aevis turned her wide-eyed gaze to her. “Mother, please.”

“What?” Gunhilda asked. “She has always been a terrible liar. Even when she was a girl.”

She looked at Ælfflæd, a semi-glazed look in her eyes. “Your mother would ask if you stole sweet pies and you’d give a terribly unconvincing ‘no’ with the crust and filling still on your face. It was adorable - your mother could not even find it in her heart to be mad at you.”

She didn’t remember the time, but Gunhilda’s story brought back memories of her mother before Tunis. When she was vibrant, cheerful, smiling… regal. Which, these days, despite actual power, Ælfflæd felt less than she had since arriving in Bordeaux.

It was rare that Adelise and Aevis were unified in anything, but they both shared a horror in their eyes as the color drained from their faces. And Ælfflæd was struggling to find the words to put her drunken aunt, who she wanted to respect, in her place.

Gunhilda continued: “Wulfie loved you so much. She loved all three of her surviving children, to be sure. But Rae was doted on by your father and as prince Ulf always was around the men. You, you were hers, Elf. Wulfie could never stop talking about you.”

And just like that, Ælfflæd felt her eyes burn and soon she could not hold back a sob. She missed her mother… and who she had been. Though she still questioned whether she would be proud of her now.

Yet Gunhilda’s continuation almost seemed to sense Ælfflæd’s question.

“Your mother and I both knew the pain of losing a son. But she can look down and smile upon you. A queen in her own right… who continues her family’s legacy.”

Through the tears, a smile broke through on Ælfflæd’s face, which was met by Adelise, who was gently rubbing her back.

However, Gunhilda was not done.

“I am sad to say that I am left envious of my dead sister, for at least she has a child worth a damn,” Gunhilda said.

Ælfflæd’s stomach dropped and her eyes went to her female cousins, who each blanched and stared at their mother, horrified. But Gunhilda still was not finished.

“Mother?” Hextilda asked. “You… do not mean that.”

“How can I not?” Gunhilda demanded. “I have one daughter who thinks herself fit to be a queen but is too stupid to realize England will never stomach a Norman to ruling again. And she will never be considered a worthwhile wife to the king or the prince.”

“Mother!” Aevis exclaimed.

“Hush up!” Gunhilda told her. “You don’t have your cousin’s husband to make you queen. No matter how much you desire it and complain to me of the union I was left to arrange!”

Adelise smirked but her mother simply turned her gaze on her.

“And you, plotting to take your sister’s lands,” Gunhilda said. “I could scarcely believe such a thing, but then you let my husband bed you, and grew fat with his babe. So why wouldn't you betray family?”

Adelise swallowed hard, and grew red in the face, though Ælfflæd was not certain it was out of anger or embarrassment. Meanwhile, Hextilda came to her mother’s side.
“Mother, I think you are tired,” she said. “Let me take you to your chambers.”

Gunhilda simply placed her hand on her youngest child’s face, pushing her away. “My sweet girl. I am sorry over what has happened to you. I should have had you marry the king’s brother. Then when your worthless lecher of a father disinherited you, Prince Alias could have simply taken Somerset for you!”

“Sister,” Osmund said. “I think Hextilda is right and you should rest.”

“My younger brother,” Gunhilda said. “Come Ozzy. Take me away like you tried to our queen. If I find success after, will you then come and cow in hopes of gaining forgiveness?”

Osmund blushed and then pulled his older sister up and started to yank her from the room. Gunhilda wasn’t the smallest of women these days, so Osmund needed some help, with Ælfdige coming to his aid. The pair dragged Gunhilda, with Hextilda following them out and leaving the queen and her eldest cousins alone.

“Well that was…” Aevis began.

She did not finish. But none of the women had the strength to. Ælfflæd herself could not find the words. Her aunt had confirmed many of her worst fears over Aevis’ plotting and Adelise’s untrustworthiness. Not that she didn’t know of these plots… but it was a reminder of how much this whole thing was a façade. And a flimsy one at that. No matter how much she wished otherwise.

“What she said,” Aevis eventually got out. “I was just complaining about my husband and used Geoffrey as a comparison. It didn’t have to be Geoffrey. I mean there could have been Alias…”

“You were wed before Prince Alias would have been an option, sister?” Adelise noted.

“Well I… again just bring him up because… because….” Aevis stammered. Again her voice trailed off. Then her eyes fixated on Adelise. “What of you? Laying with our stepfather! And of course, plotting to violate father’s wishes by taking Lancaster from me.”

Adelsie pulled back and muttered: “It is not true. Just vile rumors.”

“You would say that, as you have no defense for it,” Aevis said.

“My defense to Lancaster is that you plot against our queen and that I would defend her by dealing with you!” Adelise shouted.

Aevis grew wide-eyed. “You see?! You see, Ælfflæd? She wants my inheritance! She wants to take my lands from me. From my children! I worry about what shall happen to me when the wolves of England and Aquitaine have at me but the most vile of wolves is my own sister! She would do it to you too. She waits, and waits and then she shall come for you.”

“You seek to turn me into you, Aevis,” Adelise said. “It is not me who thought you would be a queen in your own right, displacing Ælfflæd.”

“You… mother does not know what she speaks of,” Aevis said.

“But Hlothere does,” Adelise said. “He’s far too stupid to think of something that clever.”

“I… no,” Aevis said. “They… he… misunderstands. I do want to be a queen, yes. But to the prince! I would be his wife. I would help him, as a good queen does. I would give him sons… and then Lancaster and…”

“Lies,” Adelise said. “We know. We know what you hide. We…”

“ADI!” Ælfflæd shouted. “Enough!”

Adelise stopped and, upon meeting Ælfflæd’s glare, seemed to shrink a bit in the face of her diminutive cousin. “I… my apologies, my queen.”

“I have had enough of this!” Ælfflæd exclaimed. “The two of you fighting as if you are mortal enemies and not sisters! Can you two not see that you would be better off working together? That we all would be better off working together?! We could be strong enough to beat the heathens. To best my cousin. To keep England a realm worthy of standing alongside Aquitaine! Like my grandfather did. Like my father did, for a time. But I need you two to stand with me and not against each other!”

Ælfflæd, breathing heavy, glared at the two of them. Aevis was pale in the face, Adelise red. Both Norman sisters were motionless, like a pair of statues.

“Well?” Ælfflæd demanded.

Aevis looked at her sister. “Will you admit you scheme to take Lancaster, and swear an oath not to?”

Adelise narrowed her gaze. “Do you swear on your daughters’ lives that you do not plot to steal the queen’s birthright?”

“I… I… I sw..” Aevis began.

“Your daughters lives, remember,” Adelise said. “And if that is not enough, remember, the queen knows the truth. If you lie…”

“Do you?” Aevis asked.

It must have been an instinctual ask, for Aevis appeared fearful as she spoke the words. And Ælfflæd did know… her spies had ferreted out the truth a few months before. But she wasn’t sure how much she wanted Aevis to know - she also wasn’t sure Adelise’s line of attack was what she wished to pursue.

But any color left in Aevis’ face drained away. Trembling, she muttered: “I… must go.”

“Aevis,” Ælfflæd said. “I knew, but there are plots abound. We can still work things out.”

“You knew all of it… and never said a word to me,” Aevis said. “Your husband… he must…”

Her eyes nearly bulged from her head and she rushed out the chamber. Ælfflæd followed, but could not figure out what to say. She wanted to tell her that she had not said a word of it to Geoffrey, but she also suspected Geoffrey knew more about what was happening in England than he let on.

By the time Ælfflæd had figured out what to say, Aevis was gone and the queen felt her stomach twist.

If Aevis feels threatened… she may run to Sigeric and Ecgwyn. If they rebel… with Beorhtfirth and the war in the Holy Lands...

It was too much too quickly - everything felt as if it were spiraling out of control. Ælfflæd held the wall for a moment, and then made her way back into the chamber, plopping herself down on the chair.

“Elf,” Adelise said as she came to her. “She’s a traitor. The sooner we are done with her the better.”

The tenor and tone of the duchess of Mercia made Ælfflæd’s heart race. “Mind your words cousin. You often seem to forget who is queen here.”

“I just speak the truth,” Adelise said. “She will betray you.”

“They all want to betray me,” Ælfflæd said. “If it gets them what they want. You just speak of her because you think it will get you what you want - Lancaster!”

“I do this for you,” Adelise said. “With her gone, and my forces stronger, the malcontent lords will think better than to challenge you.”

“Stop it,” Ælfflæd snapped. “Stop trying to tell me your ambition in Lancaster is for me. It’s for you, all for you. And when the lords and ladies of this realm look down upon me for letting you steal your sister’s inheritance, you will not care. And if I do order you to stop… will your turn on me then as you have Aevis? Will you claim the crown as she does?”

“How can you say that?” Adelise demanded.

“You laid with your step-father,” Ælfflæd said. “I’m not even sure my husband would stoop so low.”

Adelise grew wide-eyed and red in the face. “You have some nerve… I have defended you from the beginning. I stood by you all while she would betray you, while my mother for all her sweet words would not back you… and then to stand there and accuse me…”

“Accuse you of what? Looking out for yourself?” Ælfflæd retorted. “Of making enemies of your mother and sister? Or to say you do as my husband does and use me as a shield for your ambition? But you are not my husband. You are supposed to be my family. My ‘sister.’ But then, I see how you treat your sister.”

Adelise said nothing to that. She stood, as still as Aevis had, but she was not pale. She was red - redder than Ælfflæd ever had seen her before. It almost made the queen regret her choice of words.

Almost.

“If that is how you feel,” Adelise said.

“Leave me,” Ælfflæd said. “I will summon you when I have need of your… services.”

Adelise stormed off and Ælfflæd was alone.

But she knew she could not remain that way. And she knew there was, ultimately, only one place she could go.

Her walk to her husband’s chambers was slow. There was a sense of dread with each step, rivaling what she had felt before seeing him after fleeing the heathens. Knowing that she was coming because she had no one else she could turn… no one else she could truly trust not to kill her, at least for now.

In time, she believed her son could be the one she needed. But he was only a boy of 11 and a half years. He would be a great king one day, she believed. All of her children would be fine leaders - she would make sure of it.

But that was tomorrow, not today. Today, Geoffrey offered a security… a security in that he did not want his useful tool and vessel for his progeny damaged.

It was not comforting. But it was reassuring.

Ælfflæd still was uneasy. For starters, she half expected to find him between the legs of his whore Ana. Given she knew she had birthed him a bastard while he was in Iberia, and there was nothing to indicate that relationship was over, Ælfflæd knew he probably ran back to her arms.

Especially since I am now with child, Ælfflæd thought.

There were a few extra guards posted outside his chamber - not a surprise since Geoffrey was always on extra guard when the English lords and ladies gathered. And at the moment, that was not something Ælfflæd could fault him for.

The guards did not stop her until she reached the door. At that point she looked up to the pair who blocked the door and said forcefully: “I want to see my husband.”
The guards looked at each other, before one entered the chamber and closed the door behind.

He’s with the whore, Ælfflæd thought. Why did I come here? Being stabbed in the back is preferable to constant humiliation…

The guard then re-emerged and said: “The king will see you, my queen.”

They all bowed before her, and, feeling a touch more secure in herself, Ælfflæd entered the chamber with her head held high.

Geoffrey stood in the candlelight, holding a cup of wine. His brow was arched as he watched Ælfflæd enter. She could see he was curious as to why she had come to him, unprompted.

The door closed behind her, and with it a shift in the air that caused flames of the candles on the table to bend. Her eyes met her husband’s.

“Well, this is a surprise,” Geoffrey said. “For what do I owe the honor?”

My family is a disaster, Ælfflæd thought. But she did not want to say it.

“I have news of something,” she said. “My cousin moves against me.”

“Aevis couldn’t wait any longer?” Geoffrey replied.

The words sent a chill down her spine. But she quickly shook her head.

“Not her,” Ælfflæd said. “A paternal cousin, my uncle’s son. A man by the name of Beorhtfirth. He seeks to claim the throne from me. From us.”

“Paternal uncle,” Geoffrey said. “I only know of one… the one who escorted you to Bordeaux when we were wed.”

Ælfflæd nodded and Geoffrey shook his head.

“I never liked him,” Geoffrey said. “Where is he now?”

“He’s passed,” Ælfflæd said. “His children are residing in Wiltshire - in my nephew’s court.”

“Your nephew still thinks he should be king of England, does he not?” Geoffrey asked. “Why would he tolerate his cousin trying to build support for someone other than him?”

1139-King-of-Jerusalem.jpg

“I’m not certain,” Ælfflæd said. “Perhaps he wishes for us to simply fight so that he might swoop in once we have exhausted ourselves.”

Geoffrey grimaced. It was clear he didn’t like that thought.

“How many does your cousin bring?” Geoffrey asked.

“Bishop Cytelbearn says he has around 5,000,” Ælfflæd replied.

Geoffrey’s brow rose. “Is that all?”

“Is that not troublesome?” Ælfflæd asked. “It is more than I can call, and all of my men are in the Holy Lands.”

“I already have more than that available to me in Brittany,” Geoffrey said. “I would probably wish to call up more men, but my personal levy could handle this usurper.”

Ælfflæd’s brow rose. Did she hear him correctly? “You will fight him?”

“I have not endured this headache the last few years only to let your cousin take the crown from us,” Geoffrey said. “That said, I see no reason to rush forth to meet him.”

“You don’t?” Ælfflæd asked. “If he were to take Lydford…”

“I will not let him do that,” Geoffrey said. “But it is one thing to organize an expedition. It is another thing to actually fight it. The last few years have taught me that.”

“So what will you do?” Ælfflæd asked.

“I will let him be, for now,” Geoffrey said. “While my men rest and recuperate further, in friendly lands. I would hope, though not expect, your lords to fight him. But perhaps he will fight the heathens for us, clearing them out.”

“Stealing our victory,” Ælfflæd said. “Would that not endear him to the church and my lords?”

“He will have mopped up what I have already broken,” Geoffrey said. “And you still have your fight in the Holy Lands to prove your worth. No, I just hope they weaken or destroy each other.”

“Because you don’t wish to fight,” Ælfflæd said.

“Should I want to?” Geoffrey asked. “A glorious fight interests me. Putting down your annoying cousins is not exactly glorious. At least if I fought your nephew, there would be a potential crown at the end of it.”

“I… I never said I had interest in dethroning my nephew,” Ælfflæd said as she felt a pang of guilt.

“Please, you never thought about it?” Geoffrey demanded. “You, you who cloaks yourself in the legacy of your father and grandfather and fights heathens in the Holy Lands?”

“He does too,” Ælfflæd noted.

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “He fights for his life. Survival is the basest of causes, but hardly noble. In any case, the thought has crossed your mind. That you could be a better heir to that legacy. And at the very least, that your son, with control of England and Aquitaine, would fulfil it far better than your nephew ever could.”

Ælfflæd glanced away for a moment, but then met his gaze squarely.. “I don’t wish to betray family.”

“Then they will betray you, my dear,” Geoffrey said. “Unless… you are too powerful for them to dream of such a thing.”

“I am not,” Ælfflæd said. “We both know that.”

“If they come to take the crown from you, then they are fools for not realizing that I am,” Geoffrey said. “And if they are too dull for such thoughts, then I will make them realize it.”

“There are lines I do not wish to cross,” Ælfflæd said. “Adelise sometimes makes suggestions… but… I will not become a kinslayer.”

Geoffrey eyed her. “She suggests killing?”

“She does,” Ælfflæd said. “She says we should consider killing my cousin.”

“Which one?” Geoffrey asked.

Ælfflæd grimaced. “Beorhtfirth.”

“And he is the one who raises the host against you?” Geoffrey asked.

Ælfflæd glared at him. “Yes. In any case, it is easy for her to say, for it is not her who shall take the blame. And he is not her cousin - as it is my father’s nephew.”

“Typical,” Geoffrey said. “Sometimes I don’t know why you keep her around. She is always looking to stick a knife into someone’s back.”

“Sometimes I wonder myself,” Ælfflæd admitted. “Then I remember I don’t want it to be my back she sticks it in.”

Geoffrey grinned. “Fair enough.”

Ælfflæd sighed and plopped herself down. “And yet she is furious with me now.”

“What happened?” Geoffrey asked.

“My auntie, her mother, got drunk,” Ælfflæd explained. “She accused Adelise and Aevis of the plots we know of. And it… spiraled out of control. I tried to get both sisters to calm down but… it could not be saved. Adelise made it worse though… she practically told Aevis how much we know of her plots.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “I’m sick of both of them. I’ll be honest, I have half a mind to take the entirety of the realm’s armies and destroy both of them, then give Lancaster and Mercia to our children.”

“The rest of the lords would rebel,” Ælfflæd said. “That is the problem. If we make enemies of both, we will make enemies with all of England.”

“I defeated all of England before,” Geoffrey reminded her.

“At a great cost to the southeast,” Ælfflæd noted. “And with Adelise largely remaining out of it. I don’t… doubt you can defeat them all. But I worry there will be nothing left for our family when it is done.”

She realized he likely didn’t care, given his face showed no fear or guilt at such a thought. So she changed her rationale quickly.

“It would make life more difficult for our son, if he has to rebuild the whole of England while enemies around here look to weaken Aquitaine,” she said.
Geoffrey nodded to that. “So, you seek to keep England from rebelling as a whole.”

“I do,” Ælfflæd said. “Ecgwyn and Sigeric of Essex are lost causes. But I think I can keep the sisters. They both have much to lose should it come to fighting.”

“You are too optimistic,” Geoffrey told her.

“If it comes to it… then I will do what needs to be done,” Ælfflæd swore. “But I do not want it to come to that and will work as hard as I can to prevent it.”

Geoffrey eyed her. “You’re fighting a pointless battle. You will be forced to deal with one of them, if not both.”

Ælfflæd shook her head. “My auntie… before she went on her rant… she said my mother would be proud of me. And… I believe her. But I want to keep it that way. I want my mother to be proud of the England I leave behind. There are things I cannot do… because if I did, she would not be proud of me.”

She expected the lecture - that such sentimentalities were not acceptable when ruling. That she had to be cold if she was to leave a kingdom worth anything to their son.

“They’re dead,” Geoffrey said. “What does it matter?”

“Do you not think your parents look down upon you?” Ælfflæd asked. “Do you not care what they would think of you?”

“They likely look up at me,” Geoffrey said. “So no. At least I try to be a good Christian king.”

Ælfflæd’s brow rose. “Do you hate your parents?”

Geoffrey sighed. “No. They just… I do not think they have any right to judge, based on what they did. God will judge me. And Him alone.”

Ælfflæd rarely heard Geoffrey discuss his parents, besides his occasional contempt for his mother when she lived. There was far more venom and bitterness there than she expected.

And then there was the belief that only God could judge him. It sent a chill down her spine… with the idea that no one on earth could deter him. There was praying for God’s love and protection… and then there was this…

Regardless, she could not do as Geoffrey did. She did believe others judged her. Her late mother, her father. Her children. Her ancestors. To do wrong by them… to shame them… it was not something she could stomach.

She poured herself a cup of wine and then took a sip. It was weak, but she knew her stomach would thank her later. Speaking of that, it was grumbling and she spied a piece of bread by her husband.

He must have noticed for he eyed her and said: “Go ahead. You are eating for two.”

Ælfflæd smirked and quickly devoured it, getting out a “thank you” as she chewed.

Geoffrey chuckled and shook his head. Raising his cup to her, he said: “A happy Christmas, to you, my dear wife.”

Unexpectedly, a smile came to her face. “And to you, husband.”

…..

The next day, Geoffrey was again sitting in his chamber. But this time, it was not Ælfflæd with him.

Berard stood behind him as the pair waited for a guest. It was a guest Geoffrey did not expect he would need to meet with. But given the conversation with Ælfflæd, he felt that had changed.

And it was best to do so without her knowledge.

The door to the chamber opened, and a guard entered, escorting Adelise of Mercia with him. After she was announced, the guard departed and the duchess came forward to the table.

“You wished to see me, my king?” Adelise asked.

“I did,” Geoffrey said. “Sit.”

He was not sure whether she was still angry from her argument with Ælfflæd, or whether such feelings applied to him anyway. But at the moment, he did not sense any hostility from her.

“What is it you need of me?” Adelise asked.

“The queen tells me she has another troublesome cousin who has raised a host against her,” Geoffrey said.

“Yes,” Adelise said. “The son of her paternal uncle Osmund, not to be confused with our mutual uncle, Osmund, Duke of Kent.”

“Yes, the oaf who escorted her to Bordeaux,” Geoffrey said. “I had little love for him. And it appears I will have even less for his son. What is this fool claiming as his right to the throne?”

“Has Ælfflæd not spoken of it?” Adelise asked.

“She told me some things,” Geoffrey said. “I wish to know more from a person more removed from the situation - someone who is not related to the usurper.”

Adelise nodded. “He says that by Æthelfirth of Jerusalem’s abdication, his brothers and sisters are also removed from the line of succession. He also claims the queen’s half-siblings are illegitimate, as they were born of a suspected heathen.”

“And the queen’s oldest sister?” Geoffrey asked.

“That the throne should bypass her and her children, for she is a woman. Where as he has an unbroken male line from King Ælfmaer, he and Ælfflæd’s grandfather.”

Geoffrey frowned. “Well…. That won’t do at all.”

“My thoughts exactly, my king,” Adelise said.

“I heard you had other thoughts as well,” Geoffrey said. “Thoughts my wife did not necessarily agree with… since they would make her a kinslayer.”

Adelise blanched. “Well… I… er… I just thought it was prudent, my king. We already fight another war, and I have heard that those with him might be bought and given that he threatens the queen and her family…”

Geoffrey shook his head. “You are as bloodthirsty as a leech. It is unbecoming of a lord, and even looks worse on a lady.”

Adelise met his gaze and frowned. “I do what I must for the queen. For your family. Even if neither of you see it.”

“But you would make her a kinslayer, if it were discovered,” Geoffrey said.

“If it were discovered,” Adelise said. “There is no certainty.”

“It is a risk that she cannot take,” Geoffrey said. “She already takes too much on. At least she had the sense to not listen to you on this..”

“My advice is why you rule England, my king,” Adelise said, her face reddening. “I suggested we deal with Burgheard. If we did not, he would be king still… and who knows what might have happened when he plotted against your family.”

Geoffrey eyed her. She had a point. And it was why he did not like her.

“You do not seem to understand,” Geoffrey said. “Whatever risk you think is necessary, when it involves the queen’s, and my, reputation, it is not your decision to make. Do you understand?”

Adelise frowned. “I have…”

“It is a yes or no question,” Geoffrey told her. “All I wish to hear is ‘yes’ or ‘no.’”

Adelise remained red in the face. “Yes.”

“There,” Geoffrey said. “I am glad we have an understanding.”

“Is that all, my king?” Adelise asked.

“No,” Geoffrey said. “I had one more thing to discuss with this… Beoth… whatever his name is.”

“Beorhtfirth,” Adelise said.

“I don’t need to learn his name,” Geoffrey said. “He attacks a woman engaged in protecting Christendom. To further his ambition as she defends the cross. If that is not a crime punishable by death, I do not know what is.”

Adelise cocked her brow. “What… what do you get at my king?”

“I think I have said enough, my lady,” Geoffrey said. “Just know that not only are the queen’s advisors not to have anything to do with this… the queen is not to know either. I told her it will be handled. That is enough.”

Adelise’s face lost its red coloring and her lips formed a small grin. “Of course, my king. And we are forever grateful for your protection.”

She bowed and then left the room. The door closed and Berard sighed.

“She truly is something,” Berard said. “You were not wrong about that.”

“You may not wish to hear it,” Geoffrey began, “But the more I speak with her, the more I am reminded of stories I heard about another close advisor to a monarch.”
Berard’s eyes widened. “You do not believe such tales about my father.”

The king could not resist a grin. “I don’t see why my aunt Agnes and uncle Adhemar would lie - especially my aunt, who thought your father quite able in his role.”
Berard sighed. “My father’s loyalty was never in question. You routinely doubt Adelise’s.”

“I did not say they were the exact same,” Geoffrey said. “But their methods… well in any case, I do think there is merit in it. We acted against Burgheard for threatening my family. That this Beorhtfirth would attack my wife to take her crown while she fights against heathens… shows he has no scruples. He would stop at nothing to maintain his power, if he is allowed to win it.”

“I am not sure I like going down this road,” Berard admitted. “But… the alternative is more fighting in England. Given the threat of rebellion, and our likely involvement in the church’s possible Crusade in Egypt… I fear it may be the only way to prevent us from exhausting the realm’s resources.”

Geoffrey nodded. “So I can trust you to handle this?”

“I will speak with Count Douard,” Berard said. “As well as Adhemar.”

“Have my cousin Centolh involved as well,” Geoffrey said. “And Berard, you shall have whatever gold you need to make this problem go away.”

Berard nodded. “It will be done, Geoff.”

“One more thing,” Geoffrey said. “Don’t say a word of this to your wife. The queen cannot know of our involvement. She would stop it at best… and be implicated at worst. And we cannot be associated with a kinslayer. At least not now.”

“Understood,” Berard said.

Geoffrey didn’t like this. Nothing in England itself was a major threat, but these annoyances could add up. Pricked and cut until he was too weak to defend England and Aquitaine... and if not him, then that fate could befall his children.

I will not let that happen to me, nor my son, Geoffrey thought. Even if I must smoke out all the snakes from England, by force, intrigue or politics… I will prevent it.

And he would not be bound as Ælfflæd was. He was true in what he said. He didn’t care what his parents thought of him.

God would understand why he took this course. Why it was necessary to defend his family, and to be strong enough to lead a Crusade.

Yes, He will understand, Geoffrey thought. And that will be enough.

1139-Kill-Beorhtfrith.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
G2 is right to be dismissive. The English can do Jack shit against him or Aqutiane, and thus nothing against England. I appreciate the effort to keep suspense up but having played the game, I know damn well that this is all empty threat. When England and Aquitaine are one, and the king of both has to worry about balancing the two and revolt in both, then there shall be issues.

But now? England can't do shit. And honestly, I wish G2 could just smash the realm to pieces and start over. The Norman's managed on far fewer resources than Aquitaine has.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Feeling an urge to reply right away today. Maybe it's a nervous anticipation for this massive snowstorm...

There is an alt-world where Duchess Adelise and King Geoff are a couple. Thank you for updating. Have a merry and safe Christmas. Please stay warm and dry, my king.

It sooooo nearly happened. The only reason it didn't was because Adelise had no claim on England. I thought she would, but her father had a "weak" claim that he died before he could press. Part of me kind of wishes I had, for it would have been a nice inversion of the real history - Instead of Henry II being King of England with control of a third of France, it would be Geoffrey, King of Aquitaine with "control" of a third of England. And like Henry pressed Eleanor's claim to Toulouse, so too could Adelise have pressed Lancaster and, in the future, Kent as well!

But that's a different game that, thanks to old patches, I doubt I could play now.

Thank you for your well wishes!

G2 is right to be dismissive. The English can do Jack shit against him or Aqutiane, and thus nothing against England. I appreciate the effort to keep suspense up but having played the game, I know damn well that this is all empty threat. When England and Aquitaine are one, and the king of both has to worry about balancing the two and revolt in both, then there shall be issues.

But now? England can't do shit. And honestly, I wish G2 could just smash the realm to pieces and start over. The Norman's managed on far fewer resources than Aquitaine has.

Yeah, part of this is less the suspense of whether England will rebel - it's gonna rebel - it's just who is part of it and who isn't, and what happens to certain characters as a result. If I had control over England, I would have provoked a larger rebellion and did exactly as Geoffrey says here - given Lancaster and Mercia to his kids. (Maybe I'd have tossed Berard a duchy like Cornwall or something). But I can't because Geoffrey has no actual in game control over Elf's lands.

I would caution that the Normans kind of failed in this save, and it colors the reactions of the characters. William won, but was forced into elective monarchy, which caused the throne to go to Morcar of York when William died. The only reason they're relevant at all now is a fluke of marriage - Robert of Normandy married the daughter of Eadwin of Mercia, who never had any sons. Then after Morcar's murder, Robert's son Robert got the whole of the midlands and a bit of the north. If not for that, the Normans would have been wiped out in England due to Foulques' victory over the English at Rouen, which gave Philippe all of Normandy. Instead, the Normans ended up with a good chunk of England through marriage. But then Robert's assassination ended the possibility of direct Norman control over the kingdom, since the claim died with him.

It's a big part of why I've written England so defiant in this game. Ultimately, they did successfully resist the Normans in the long run. William couldn't pass his crown to his children - which makes him more like Cnut in being unable to establish a lasting dynasty, than the Conqueror of OTL. So these English lords and ladies see their ancestors beat back the Ragnarssons. The Danes. And the Normans. The characters involved see themselves continuing that legacy in working to beat the Angevins, or in Elf's case, trying to avoid her son falling into similar pitfalls to William/Robert with herself and her son.

Of course, even in the text, the truth is more complicated than what they all tell themselves. Burgheard was William's grandson, even if he identifies himself as Anglo-Saxon. Duchess Maud is also William's granddaughter, and has her claim through him, rather than her Saxon ancestors. They are both closer relations to William than either of the "Norman" sisters. Ecgwyn, who has the strongest "claim" of any lord or lady in England, again, has that claim though William, even if she is viewed as the "last bastion of Saxon England." And she is the same distance from William as Adelise and Aevis, whose respective claims have been dismissed by everyone else.

The claim situation is messy in game. But that's fairly realistic, since in OTL claims were messy too. Stephen of Blois' claim was a mess, given he was trying to deny Matilda for being a woman, while having his claim passed through a woman. And to say nothing of the fact he wasn't even his mother's eldest son. Henry IV's claim was BS. Henry VII's was probably so weak it wouldn't even be recognized by CK2's mechanics!

But I got off topic a bit there. Back on topic... the story is limited by CK2 mechanics here, but I do try to put myself in the head of the characters. They don't *know* what I know. They might believe the same constraints that undid their previous conquerors will apply to Geoffrey and Elf. And Elf doesn't know it for certain either and his hesitant to take the chance, since it is her children she risks.

Look how much you got me talking! Thanks for the comment - I do enjoy discussing my thought process with these (probably more than I should).

• 1Like
Reactions:
The royal couple both have quite the similarities in extended family matters. Both are related to a powerful duke who's not exactly on good terms with them, both are related to a powerful duke who's got his/her uses. Most of the main lords of their respective realms are in some way or other related.
The big difference is in the amount of control, mostly to the way they got their crowns. Geoffrey is unquestioned king with a great powerbase. Ælfflæd has very little and relies on Geoffrey's strength.

And while Aquitaine has England in its grip, it struggles and is very likely to need another grasp to hold it still. Now I wonder what would have happened if Geoffrey the Elder would have shared Alias' tendency to solve problems with murder. The body count would have been high, but an Ælfflæd inheriting England would have been in a far better position - both politically and on a personal note.

And while the queen's experiences with feasts where the ale flows freely may not be that different, the late king would surely appreciate that the old Roman wisdom of "in vino veritas" still holds true.

Poor Alphonse finally lost his struggle. A truly great king, betrayed by his body, and that more than once. One can only wonder what would have happened had he not spent much of his life comatose. He already earned himself an epithet as "the Great" as it is, after all.

Reactions:
Hope you remain safe from plague, blizzard and all the other stuff going round at the moment there.
a brief tribute to King Alphonse of the Franks, who had passed earlier in the year.
Another notable secondary character we have seen grow from youth and interact with the old Iron Duke. He did well enough with the hand he was dealt.
Meanwhile, Gunhilda simply laughed. “Oh my. Nephew, you lie as poorly as our queen does!”
However, Gunhilda was not done.

“I am sad to say that I am left envious of my dead sister, for at least she has a child worth a damn,” Gunhilda said.
The pair dragged Gunhilda, with Hextilda following them out and leaving the queen and her eldest cousins alone.
Huh, it’s normally the irascible uncle that gets loud and drunk at the Christmas feast! :D Gunhilda has really nailed the trope for the female side this time. Bravo!
But she knew she could not remain that way. And she knew there was, ultimately, only one place she could go.

Her walk to her husband’s chambers was slow
As it had to and will ever be.
Geoffrey eyed her. “She suggests killing?”

“She does,” Ælfflæd said. “She says we should consider killing my cousin.”

“Which one?” Geoffrey asked.

Ælfflæd grimaced. “Beorhtfirth.”
Who will rid her of this meddlesone cousin? The answer is soon provided.
Even if I must smoke out all the snakes from England, by force
There will be enough smoked snake to feed a generation if he succeeds in that!

May you and all readAARs stay safe during this most unusual holiday season.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Interesting to see Ælfflæd's wider family once more prove itself to be incredibly dysfunctional, especially with her aunt's outburst. It's kind of interesting to see how she and Geoffrey are almost opposites in that respect: Her parents seemed to get along fairly well, whereas his rather notoriously did not. However, Geoffrey's wider family, with the notable exception of Guilhem and Folquesson, mostly hold things together well enough. Wonderful chapter!

Reactions:
There are moments when Elf is still the scared little girl that was carried off to Tunis and her daddy did not do enough to rescue her and her momma. Will Prince Guilhem grow up to protect her?

I think a moment like that would be hard to come back from. Had Elf been older when it happened, it may have affected her less. But there was an innocence about her position due to her age that made her think such things were impossible. She knew nothing but England on the top of Christendom as a girl. Then that happened.

Who is to say, however, that Elf won't just learn to protect herself? She is quite resilient, after all.

The royal couple both have quite the similarities in extended family matters. Both are related to a powerful duke who's not exactly on good terms with them, both are related to a powerful duke who's got his/her uses. Most of the main lords of their respective realms are in some way or other related.
The big difference is in the amount of control, mostly to the way they got their crowns. Geoffrey is unquestioned king with a great powerbase. Ælfflæd has very little and relies on Geoffrey's strength.

And while Aquitaine has England in its grip, it struggles and is very likely to need another grasp to hold it still. Now I wonder what would have happened if Geoffrey the Elder would have shared Alias' tendency to solve problems with murder. The body count would have been high, but an Ælfflæd inheriting England would have been in a far better position - both politically and on a personal note.

And while the queen's experiences with feasts where the ale flows freely may not be that different, the late king would surely appreciate that the old Roman wisdom of "in vino veritas" still holds true.

Poor Alphonse finally lost his struggle. A truly great king, betrayed by his body, and that more than once. One can only wonder what would have happened had he not spent much of his life comatose. He already earned himself an epithet as "the Great" as it is, after all.

Good observation on the similarities of husband and wife. They largely reflect, as you say, how they got their crowns. In that sense, their parents hold a lot of responsibility for it. Geoffrey, though, tends to think he hit a triple, when he was born on third base. His father's centralization of the crown was important, and his aunt cemented that hold during Geoffrey II's early years.

Elf's family's hold on the crown was quite tenuous by the end, and Geoffrey using force to reclaim it was always going to leave her in a difficult position. That he leaves her to deal with it just makes it, in some ways, harder.

It's an interesting thought if Geoffrey I had played a more active role in shaping England's politics, with the idea that his son would gain a crown out of it one day. Though perhaps the English would have backed out if it was clear Elf was going to inherit with Geoffrey as her husband.

I agree - the old king would have enjoyed it for a variety of reasons. I mention below of a ruthlessness that Geoffrey I had that I think Thoraed lacked... and I suspect despite his bold talk, Geoffrey II lacks it as well. So, I suspect upon hearing Gunhilda's proclamation, he would have probably deliberately provoked Adelise and Aevis into a fight, then used it to solidify his hold on England. Geoffrey II flirts with the idea, but doesn't really mess with it.

Also, Geoffrey I probably would have bedded Gunhilda and/or Adelise, given their unhappiness spouses, but that's his mantra...

Alphonse is a character who would have been a compelling AAR character in his own right! Imprisoned for years, forced to give up his throne, destroying his father's kingdom so that he might one day reclaim his seat, albeit in a reduced position. He then solidified his grip on the crown, enhanced the reputation of his realm... and yet died before he could complete his work, leaving it in a perilous position. As you say, he earned the "great" moniker, which is no small thing.

Hope you remain safe from plague, blizzard and all the other stuff going round at the moment there.
Another notable secondary character we have seen grow from youth and interact with the old Iron Duke. He did well enough with the hand he was dealt.

Huh, it’s normally the irascible uncle that gets loud and drunk at the Christmas feast! :D Gunhilda has really nailed the trope for the female side this time. Bravo!
As it had to and will ever be.
Who will rid her of this meddles cousin? The answer is soon provided.
There will be enough smoked snake to feed a generation if he succeeds in that!

May you and all readAARs stay safe during this most unusual holiday season.

I hope to stay safe as well! The snow was messy, since there was a fair amount of ice, but it should be melting shortly since this week will be warmer.

Yep. Alphonse had quite the journey! He did well for himself, though it could have easily gone south for him. Had Geoffrey I not attacked Brittany, Alphonse could have lost everything. But we're never completely in control over our own destiny - his actions helped Geoffrey split the realm. If not for Alphonse, it's entirely possible Aquitaine is not a kingdom at this point in the story - it'd just be a duchy under the thumb of the other branch of the Capetians.

It certainly was set that way, given Osmund is the drunk! But I thought giving a window into Gunhilda's misery was a better way to go about it. I do feel for her... in a different world, she might have been queen herself (though displacing her sister probably wouldn't have felt good). As is, she has to deal with guilt over her younger daughters respective marriages, and animosity toward her husband. For all of Elf's misery, her children are in a strong position to inherit. She probably can't even imagine how it would feel to have her children disinherited for a bastard. Especially in an England were women becoming duchesses is quite common!

It is unfortunate for Elf, but yes, her husband was always going to be her most reliable ally because their goals are ultimately the same - to see their son inherit England. The goal of the other English and Aquitaine lords and ladies will vary, but Geoffrey's will not. The problem for Elf long term is arguably the methods Geoffrey might apply could reduce her necessity to him... but for now he's the best option for her.

The answer will be provided fairly soon! This is something that surprised me with the speed at which things progressed. In fact, a lot of plotting in England tended to move fast. Probably because everyone hates everyone else there and is plotting against them.

Geoffrey not going to be nearly as successful as he'd hope. Oh how I did want to get rid of all of the English lords (including Adelise, because I wanted Mercia). Alas, even had I proper control over the kingdom, I doubt I'd have been able to clear it all out. After all, Geoffrey couldn't get rid of Duke Guilhem, despite all the trouble he caused. It's always easier to boast of plans, even to yourself, than it is to put them into action.

Thanks for your well-wishes and the same to you!

Interesting to see Ælfflæd's wider family once more prove itself to be incredibly dysfunctional, especially with her aunt's outburst. It's kind of interesting to see how she and Geoffrey are almost opposites in that respect: Her parents seemed to get along fairly well, whereas his rather notoriously did not. However, Geoffrey's wider family, with the notable exception of Guilhem and Folquesson, mostly hold things together well enough. Wonderful chapter!

Good spot on that theme! Originally, I wanted to make that contrast even clearer - it was going to be central theme of the chapter. The first part was to be Geoffrey's siblings with him, showing that despite their differences, they're still more harmonious than Elf's family. But it just didn't work for a variety of reasons. Ultimately, the differences between his family and hers is already clear anyway - we've seen how he deals with his brother and cousins, versus how Elf is forced to.

You are right to notice the difference between Geoffrey and Elf's parents. How that played a role in the difference in the realms is hard to say. There was a coldness/ruthlessness that Geoffrey (and Foulques for that matter) possessed that I'm not sure Thoraed did. It's hard to say based on the characters viewpoints - Elf's memories are not objective after all. That's for you all to speculate over - there's no real right answer.

As always, great comments! They're a joy to read and leave me thankful/grateful to have your support at this time of year. I hope all of you have a happy holiday (or had one, if you celebrated Hanukkah)!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 274 - March 1140
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 274
April 1140 - Bordeaux, Kingdom of Aquitaine

Morning always brought a little bit of dread for Geoffrey.

It didn’t used to be this way. During his teen years, when he would fall asleep struggling to breathe, every morning was a blessing to be cherished.

But as that part of his life moved further and further behind him, and the realities of his daily royal responsibilities became routine, mornings offered the prospect of news that might well ruin his day.

It was the daily council meeting, where Geoffrey’s councilors provided him updates on the state of the realm. Some of it was mundane - local affairs pertaining to his personal lands. But other matters would be on the realm itself, or England, and that rarely seemed to bring him any joy these days.

Today was sadly no different as he sat in his chamber with Bishop Edouard and Berard. But this time, England was not to blame. Instead it was a sadly familiar source, one that Geoffrey knew he should have dealt with a long time ago.

“Knud must be punished,” Edouard told him. “He has gone too far.”

Berard looked at the steward. “I think Count Toumas was worse.”

“In a sense,” Edouard said. “But that he’s now done this at least three times.”

Geoffrey's head sank into his palm. The “this” Edouard referred to was murder.

Knud had once again dealt with one of the king’s spymasters, as he had Count Toumas of Limousin and Jorge the physician turned master of spies. This time it was Count Douard of Aurilliac.

It was the same mess. Douard had stumbled into advance plotting by Knud to murder Princess Aude of the Franks - his and Geoffrey’s mutual cousin. However, this time it was all a misunderstanding, where a scuffle broke out between Knud’s agents and Count Douard and the king’s.

Or so the Dane claimed.

Knud had confessed the crime to Berard and Edouard, even revealing where the count’s body could be found. It was all in good faith, the Dane swore, to show he did not mean for any harm to come to the spymaster. His men were just “overzealous” in protecting the secrecy of the plot, given it might be damaging to himself, Geoffrey and the realm.

All potentially true, Geoffrey knew. But it did not make the situation a great deal better.

1140-Douard-murdered.jpg

“Knud’s honesty is not enough,” Berard argued. “He is dangerous - if not to you, and those who serve you, then to your reputation. And Aquitaine’s.”

“I agree,” Edouard said. “The Kingdom of the Franks risks a great deal by engaging in another war with the heathens in Iberia. The church thinks well of them. That we would be known to be associating with someone actively trying to murder them…”

Edouard referred to the latest Frankish attempt to claim Valencia. The child king Arnault had “declared” his intent, though it was likely pushed for by his handlers. Why they would be in a rush to return to a region that had brought nothing but misery to the Capetian kings was a mystery to Geoffrey, but it did not really matter. They had, and it meant treading carefully against them, something Knud seemed to care little for.

1140-French-Holy-War.jpg

And yet… could Geoffrey really turn on someone he felt a bond with?

“Knud trained me in war,” Geoffrey said. “He still ranks among, if not is, my best commanders.”

“He has now killed multiple men, and multiple lords,” Berard said.

“But he has never acted against me,” Geoffrey said. “There has never even been a hint of it. His murders have all been for the same reason - stumbling into his attempts to deal with his relatives in the Kingdom of the Franks.”

“Your relatives,” Edouard noted. “Princess Aude, his target, is your first cousin. And now Count Douard is your cousin as well. It is hard to argue these are not slights against your family.”

Geoffrey sighed. Aude, who was herself imprisoned in Italy for reasons beyond his knowledge, was close as cousins went when it came to blood, but as distant as one could be in any other sense. He’d never met her, and likely never would. And he didn’t even remember her mother, his late aunt Antoinette. It wasn’t that he didn’t care … it’s that he cared far more for his old teacher.

1140-Princess-Aude.jpg

1140-Knud.jpg

“I need to tell my spymasters to stay out of Knud’s affairs if they don’t pertain to our kingdom,” Geoffrey grumbled.

“It does affect the kingdom,” Edouard argued. “The Franks won’t take kindly to it. And neither will Rome.”

“I might have cared with Alphonse,” Geoffrey said. “I am not cowed by a five-year-old.”

“It still looks poor upon us as we look to have Emmanuel rise further in the church,” Edouard said.

“Considering what else we do,” Geoffrey began, “is that truly your concern? I can at least disavow any knowledge of Knud’s ultimate plans since I play no part in them.”

“You just enable,” Berard said.

Truth, but the only solutions now would be to banish Knud, kill him, or turn him over to the Franks. All felt a betrayal of one of the men who helped make Geoffrey the successful king he was today.

“Enough,” Geoffrey said. “I will do as I did last time - Knud will be sent away, within the realm, until I have need of him. I think I will send him to Toulouse - he can observe how Simon fares against his rebels.”

“Poorly,” Edouard said. “But you already know that.”

Geoffrey nodded. He did know that - Simon was struggling to deal with the superior numbers the Count of Gevaudan and the rebels raised against him. With the forces of Poitou behind him, Simon might have what he needed to rally - but he had thus far refused to call his father to his aid.

But it was not Geoffrey’s place to intervene - or at least that was his cover. After all, his father had once defended Duchess Essa against rebellious vassals, keeping her in power. Why not extend the same courtesy to her son?

Simon was different though. He would likely hold Poitou and Toulouse one day, and any children he had with Geoffrey’s sister Aines would have a path to the throne, even if it was growing longer and more complicated by the day. If Simon wished to let pride make his life more difficult, Geoffrey knew it was in his own interests to let him.

1140-Simon-losing.jpg

“Is that all then?” Geoffrey asked.

“I still think you should reconsider with Knud,” Edouard said. “Send him back to his relatives in Danemark.”

That was another choice, though Geoffrey suspected it would end much like the others, since the Danes unlikely had any desire to deal with a claimant who plotted against relatives.

“No,” Geoffrey said. “He has served me loyally. That means something.”

He knew neither Edouard nor Berard agreed. But it wasn’t their decision. It was his.

Convincing them was impossible as well. So he moved to change the subject to another matter of subterfuge, but one he had a direct hand in.

“What of the plans to deal with my wife’s cousin - the one who has raised the host against her?” Geoffrey asked.

“The wheels are already in motion for that,” Berard said. “Centolh sends word that Beorhtfirth’s commanders all see the benefits aiding us, and getting our gold, rather than being captured and sent to the headsman. So they will aid us in dealing with him.”

1140-Beorhthfirth-commanders.jpg

“Excellent,” Geoffrey said. “Fine work, all of you.”

“Thank you,” Berard said. “But it is not our expertise. Such things are best handled by a master of spies. Which… well…”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. It kept coming back to that. And annoyingly, it was a problem.

“I agree,” he said. “We would be best to find a replacement as quickly as possible, since we know there is much to keep an eye on in England. But have we any candidates?”

“There is one candidate in particular,” Edouard said. “Berard and I have been looking at him, since there were always some doubts as to whether Douard would survive in the role. But he is not without questions.”

“Who?” Geoffrey asked.

“Count Henri of Limousin,” Edouard said.

Geoffrey nodded. Henri was his distant cousin on his mother’s side, but the familial connection was not the issue. It stemmed back to Knud, who had murdered Henri’s grandfather, Toumas, when he was the master of spies for Geoffrey’s father.

Henri’s father, Gui of Limousin, had resented the fact Knud had faced little punishment by the old king. He had proceeded to seduce and bed Princess Aines repeatedly, siring two bastards in her - likely partially as revenge for his father’s death.

1140-Count-Henri-of-Limousin.jpg

“You are concerned that Henri could act against us,” Geoffrey said. “Given his father’s history.”

Edouard nodded. “If I am to be fair to Henri, I have heard nothing to indicate he has any animosity toward you. Indeed, it seems as though his words to you when he swore his oaths, that he did not care for his father, are valid. That said, I am no spymaster. If his talents for intrigue are as good as has been said… he could have covered his intent from us.”

“That’s true,” Geoffrey said. “But I do not need an angel for this role. I need someone who is capable… and that may involve some less than… upstanding traits. I suspect part of the problem with the last three masters of spies is that they lacked such instincts.”

“I would advise not telling that to Henri, if you are intent to give him the position,” Berard said.

“Or at least keep it to just Jorge and Count Douard,” Edouard added.

Geoffrey’s stomach twisted at the naming of Jorge, the physician who had helped save his life from the Cough. That murder Geoffrey had felt - and it gave him a momentary pause at whether perhaps he did owe Jorge something more now.

“Are you alright?” Berard asked him.

“Yes, why?” Geoffrey asked.

“You look as if you thought of something distressing,” Berard replied.

Geoffrey shook his head and waved his friend off. “It is fine. I just thought of… something. But it is not important. What do you all think of Henri?”

“I do not know of a better option,” Edouard said. “Though since Sir Berard already dabbles in these matters, perhaps raising him might be worth it.”

Berard shook his head. “My skills are not what they need to be for such things. I am quite content in my current role on the council.”

Geoffrey grinned. Given what he had just said about the previous spymasters lacking that ruthless quality, Berard was exactly the person Geoffrey would not want in the role.

Likewise, he also had some thoughts about Prince Alias, given he had been rather good at concealing his sodomy well. But given the fate of the last three spymasters, Geoffrey was hesitant to place his brother in a potentially deadly position.

1140-Duke-Alias.jpg

“I lean toward your recommendation of Henri,” the king said. “But Berard, continue to see what you can find on Count Henri. He seems to be our best option - yet we should still take precautions.”

“I can do that,” Berard said.

“And I will continue to scour for more options,” Edouard said. “But given we want a man who we can count on not to backstab you… I think we are limited in our choices.”

It wasn't a reassuring thought, given the English lords might aid any troublemaker but Geoffrey brushed it off the best he could. “Is there anything else?”

“Yes,” Edouard said. “While we have discussed the position of spymaster, there is also the county Douard held - Aurilliac. He had not found an heir. So it reverts back to royal hands. You could hold it, but an additional county to administer will stretch us thin - perhaps beyond our limits.”

“Do you need assistance?” Geoffrey asked.

“It is simply a difficult hassle,” Edouard said. “I think we would be best to find a new lord for it. I would suggest your son, but I know you are hesitant to let him alone.”

Geoffrey nodded. Prince Guilhem no doubt wanted land, but Geoffrey felt it dangerous to let him loose on his own. There were just too many threats with the English snakes slithering about. Besides, when Guilhem came of age, Geoffrey would give him one of his smaller holdings to look after, like Perche.

“So if not the prince,” Edouard began, “then perhaps your most loyal man… Sir Berard.”

Berard smiled. “I would be honored… if you are willing.”

Geoffrey eyed the pair. He already had a list of who he planned to give land to. Had something come to him before he had granted Alias Navarra, it would have gone to his brother. Should it have come up after Guilhem came of age, then to the crown prince or his younger brother Geoffrey. And before… Geoffrey felt himself bound to uphold a request from a half decade ago.

He still remembered the dying wish of Duchess Essa of Toulouse - part of it was to look after her youngest child, also named Henri. Of course, Henri was actually Geoffrey’s son, though in the eyes of the world, the boy was the son of the Duke of Poitou.

But Duke Guilhem suspected his wife of infidelity, and even if he didn’t, Henri was far down the list of succession. He had three older brothers, who likely would eventually have children of their own. The odds Henri saw any lands in Poitou or Toulouse were not high.

What better way to take care of the boy than appointing him the Count of Aurilliac? And, it would technically be a way of further conciliation with Poitou and Toulouse - as far as the world was concerned, Geoffrey was delivering a boon to his uncle and cousin, not his son and the man he cuckolded.

And it seemed an easy thing to sell… but now this would make things more complicated.

He knew Berard long wished for land. Yes, he held influence in court, but it was not necessarily something he could pass down. True wealth would continue to escape him until he held lands for himself and his children.

It was true he was next in line for Perigord, as Alberic still had no children with his wife. But to wait for his brother’s death was both morbid… and a point of discord between the pair.

Alberic suspected Berard of plotting against him. And Berard was furious with Alberic over the death of their youngest brother, Jaufret, who had passed in the winter.

1140-Jaufret-dies.jpg

Berard blamed Alberic, who had carried on an affair with Jaufret’s wife, for breaking their brother’s will with his betrayal. And Alberic simply claimed he did as many other lords did, including Geoffrey himself, who Berard seemed to have little problem with.

A good way to ease that discord was to give Berard land, and Aurilliac provided a perfect opportunity.

But could Geoffrey prioritize his friend over his blood, even if his son didn’t know the truth about his parentage?

“I need time to consider my options,” Geoffrey said. “We will revisit this soon.”

It was the quickest thing he could come up with. And it was not very effective, for the brows of both Edouard and Berard rose in response. He could see they were surprised, likely thinking this a foregone conclusion.

“My lord,” Edouard said. “If I might have a word, in private.”

Geoffrey nodded. Berard made no objection, likely because he figured the bishop was going to argue for his raising. The advisor simply bowed before the king and then departed the chamber.

1140-Edouard.jpg

“I did not expect you to reject that,” Edouard said. “You have someone else in mind?”

“I do,” Geoffrey admitted, since there was no getting around it. “Henri.”

“The Count of Limousin?” Edouard asked. “You would bribe him for his loyalty?”

Geoffrey scratched his chin. That actually wasn’t a bad idea, though if Henri required a county for loyalty then Geoffrey wasn’t sure if he would be a good choice for master of spies.

“No, I refer to the boy Henri,” Geoffrey said. “Duchess Essa’s youngest son.”

Edouard’s eyes widened for a moment. He eventually replied with: “Oh. Him. I see.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “I know what you’re thinking.”

“Because it’s obvious why you’re doing it,” Edouard said.

“Essa requested I give something for the boy, since she was not around to provide for him,” Geoffrey said. “She was a powerful vassal who was loyal to myself and my father. I just seek to reward her by honoring her last request.”

“Which happens to coincide with the fact that the boy is your son,” Edouard said.

“Coincides, yes,” Geoffrey said. “But I would have considered it anyway.”

“Considered it… but not granted it,” Edouard said. “After all, the duke and duchess have other sons. You offer them nothing.”

“They may get something from their father,” Geoffrey said. “Or their brother, if he cannot pass down both Toulouse and Poitou.”

“Perhaps Guilhem’s second son, yes,” Edouard said. “But not his third. Nor the child our niece Marguerite now carries.”

If that’s even his son,” Geoffrey said.

“If your sister heard that, she would be beside herself for you questioning her daughter so,” Edouard said. “Besides, I did check with our late spymaster over the matter. He said there is nothing to indicate the child is not the duke’s.”

“So you’re a hypocrite,” Geoffrey told him.

“I am prudent,” Edouard said. “But your situation is a bit different. You want to give Aurilliac to Henri because he’s your son and you feel an obligation to him.”

“I do,” Geoffrey replied. “Guilhem suspects him, and will never treat him as he does his other children. It falls on me to provide for him.”

“Give him a place among your knights,” Edouard said. “In time, an opportunity may emerge. But in the short term, Berard is the better choice.”

“That remains to be seen,” Geoffrey said. “I value Berard’s input. If he is away, managing Aurilliac, then I will not have him. There is much coming. England. The potential renewed Crusade. Looking to the borders of the Kingdom of the Franks or in Iberia. I do not wish to be denied one of the people I trust most at this critical time.”

Edouard sighed. “I believe you are genuine in your desire to keep Berard close. But you need to reward him. If you refuse to give him land to pass down to his children simply to keep him nearby if you have a question… you do him a disservice - if not as a king then as his friend.”

The words stung. And Geoffrey struggled to keep eye contact with his cousin. He did want to reward Berard, who, if he was as valuable as Geoffrey felt, did deserve a boon.

“I will consider your words,” Geoffrey told him.

“I hope you do,” Edouard said. “And are not simply hoping to be rid of me.”

“I will,” Geoffrey said. “I care for Berard more than I do all of my siblings, besides Alias. Perhaps even more than him. But it is not an easy thing to forsake your children. Even if they do not realize who they are. Nor is it easy to forget the last wishes of someone you cared for.”

“I know,” Edouard said.

“Do you, as a man of the cloth?” Geoffrey asked. Then the king sighed and waved his cousin off. “I mean no offense, cousin. But Essa was… there was something about her. I do not know how to describe it.”

“What of Ana?” Edouard asked. “Does she not make you feel the same?”

“Ana is different,” Geoffrey said. “A comfort. A simple joy… a knowledge that she has always, and will always, care for me. My wife… that is duty. Some days, you enjoy your duties. Other times, they are a burden. As it is with the queen. There are times when I enjoy her greatly. But more often, it is difficult.”

Geoffrey paused and closed his eyes, trying to summon back an image of Essa.

“With the duchess… there was… an energy. A life,” he said. “A rush when her hand touched mine… it would make my hair stand on edge.”

“Not the only thing it would make stand,” Edouard said.

Geoffrey grinned. “Yes, that’s true. But… there was never anything like it. I don’t know that Essa cared for me like Ana does. But she could excite me and make me feel so energetic… so powerful… so… right. And it was just in her nature. Over the last years of her life, she grew rather fat after all. And yet she was as stunning as ever to me.”

“I have no doubts of that, cousin,” Edouard said. “But keep in mind, those days are past. And they could have done a great deal of damage to the kingdom. Think of how your ambitions in England and Navarra were stymied by Duke Guilhem. That all stemmed from Essa. Your affair almost hurt you once. You need not let it do so again - and this will hurt Berard.”

“Why did you tell him?” Geoffrey asked. “If you had not put the idea in his head.”

“I did not put anything in his head,” Edouard said. “He is his own man, Geoff - with hopes, dreams and ambitions. He doesn’t need ideas given to him. He comes up with them on his own. If he didn’t… why would you value him as your advisor?”

Geoffrey’s head sank. Edouard’s points hit home.

“As I said,” the king replied. “I will consider it.”

“I can say no more,” Edouard said. “Except that I hope you do.”

….

Geoffrey did consider it.

He thought it about it for the rest of the day, his mind diverted from the remainder of his daily tasks. The good news was that it was rather obvious to Edouard and Berard as to why he was distracted, so they stepped in to fill the void.

On this matter, Geoffrey felt oddly alone. There wasn’t anyone he could discuss this with. His two most trusted advisors didn’t want this for their own reasons. He didn’t want to summon Adhemar for this. Nor did he want to discuss this with Emmanuel, since it would be an embarrassing matter to speak directly with a clergyman he respected.

Of course, he would not dare broach the subject with his wife, or Ana. He probably could summon Alias, but that would take time. Weeks. Maybe a month. And knowing Alias, he’d probably suggest himself, since he’d asked about Perche, supposedly at his wife’s insistence.

1140-Alias-wants-Perche.jpg

No, Geoffrey realized he was on his own.

Or on his own when it came to those around him. But he could always look beyond for some aid.

Before he turned in for bed, Geoffrey went to his knees, asking God for a sign. Should he give Aurilliac to his friend, whom he loved like a brother, or a son that he had sworn to himself to help and protect on the grave of a woman he cared for?

Naturally, Geoffrey looked around after he had finished, wondering if he would get an immediate answer. But nothing in his chamber looked any different or more significant than before. So Geoffrey turned in for the night, hoping God would give him a sign soon, but knowing he might be made to wait and wracking his brain with excuses he could provide to Berard and Edouard as to why he had yet to make his decision.

….

“How could you?”

Geoffrey stared silently at his wife, unable to find anything to say.

They were in his chambers, him on his bed and her near the table. Her face was red, though not as much as some other times she’d confronted him. Then again, maybe she was just trying to keep her calm for their child - she was well into the latter stages of her pregnancy after all.

“It is such an insult,” she said. “Not giving it to one of our sons, or our daughter, but to your bastard?!”

His stomach clenched. Not that he was surprised by any of this - why else would his wife be here? Though he’d yet to tell her about his relationship to Henri… or his decision to give Aurilliac to him.

Come to think of it… how did she learn of any of this, since even he had yet to decide? And why did she look less like Ælfflæd and more like Ana?

“That boy will have his brothers to look out for him,” Ana said. “His landed brothers. They can find a place for him, if not a barony. What does our little Dat have? Can you count on your sons with the queen to give him the same treatment?”

Geoffrey looked down. He could not guarantee that. Dat’s acknowledgment as his son gave him certain status… but also drove a wedge between him and his half-brothers. Guilhem and Prince Geoffrey were kept far away from him by their mother… and the king did not object.

1140-Ana.jpg

1140-Dat.jpg

“They will tolerate him at best,” Ana said. “And when you are gone, I will not be able to protect him. I would prefer to not trust Alberic to do so. Maybe Berard if he inherits… but it is a large ‘if’”.

That was another reason to give something to Berard - the condition that he would essentially look out for young Dat.

“Have you nothing to say?” Ana demanded. “After all of this, nothing?”

Geoffrey wished to reply. But he could find no words. And everything felt heavy. He wished to comfort her and managed to get to his feet fine but walking proved difficult. With each step, he seemed to gain no ground, or even move further from Ana.

“You have always gotten so quiet when you are wrong. Searching for words that won’t come, looking for a grand riposte that will shut me up forever. Even if you want to know what I have to say...”

It was harsh, but Geoffrey couldn’t hardly deny it’s truthfulness. And yet, he was struck by the fact Ana looked and sounded remarkably like his late aunt Agnes.

But that was impossible, since the woman before him was not only alive but still heavily pregnant.

Wait, Ana is not with child now… that was Ælfflæd… he thought. And Agnes... she is.. no

“You can’t be pregnant,” he finally got out. “Or even here. You’re dead.”

Agnes looked down at her body and grinned. “And yet here I am. Curious thing that.”

She made a slow walk over to him before plopping herself down on his bed and exhaled. “This child is exhausting. Men are fortunate they do not have to go through this.”

“My wife says the same,” Geoffrey told her.

“And she is right,” Agnes said. “I taught her well.”

She sipped a cup of wine, which Geoffrey didn’t remember her ever having, and then looked at him. “The question is whether I managed the same for you.”

“You doubt me?” Geoffrey snapped. “After all I have done.”

“I did not say I did,” Agnes said. “You said that, with your response right there. Your word, your stance, your actions - they all say something. Your father surely taught you that.”

Geoffrey frowned. “My father did not teach me nearly as much as he thinks he did.”

“Or maybe he did,” Agnes said. “He also showed favor to some of his secret bastards. I’m sure you heard the rumors of your cousin, Adhemar the Younger, being your brother. Or the former Count of Maine who died in the tower here.”

Geoffrey sighed. He did know those rumors. And he did his best to put them from his mind. But perhaps they always lingered… and colored his actions here.

“Wait,” Geoffrey said. “How do you know of Aurilliac? And my plans with Henri?”

“Everyone knows, brother,” Agnes said. “You are not as good at keeping secrets as you think. Again, much like your father.”

Geoffrey shook his head, trying to make sense of this. But he was failing miserably, as he struggled to make connections at how one thing led to another. There were too many gaps. Too many holes…

Then an idea came to him. One that seemed impossible at first but made more sense the more he thought about it…

Am I dreaming?

Agnes smiled. “I knew I taught you well.”

“This isn’t real,” Geoffrey said. “No one actually knows about my plans.”

“Is that what’s important?” Agnes asked. “Everyone will know soon enough. What’s really important is… what is your plan? That is how you will be judged.”

“I… I don’t know,” Geoffrey said. “What should I do?”

“Play favorites with blood or play favorites with a friend you consider closer than blood,” Agnes said. “It is a tough decision. But, as my mother would say, let us be frank, it hardly matters what I think.”

“Why?” Geoffrey asked.

“Because you care what she thinks,” Agnes said. “So why not just talk to her instead?”

“Who?” Geoffrey asked.

“You know who,” Agnes said.

Geoffrey did. But he didn’t really know how to make it happen. Only when he looked at Agnes again, she was gone, with the cherub-faced Duchess Essa sitting beside him. He felt his heart race.

“You seem confused to see me, my love,” Essa said. “Let me remind you.”

Essa undid her head piece and let her reddish-brown hair cascade down past her shoulders. Then she grinned and leaned forward to kiss him deeply.

It was strange. It was not as he would have expected, and yet it was everything he could want. His passion stirred, Geoffrey pulled her close and embraced her.

Their moment was broken up as Geoffrey felt a stirring in Essa’s belly, which was pressed up against him. He did not remember that happening with Essa, but he knew that did occur quite a few times while Geoffrey laid with Ana during her pregnancies.

But Essa took it in stride. “Our son kicks hard, as expected, given his father.”

Geoffrey moved his hand over her belly, and smiled. Such a thing should not have been possible - to be with her, to be expecting another child. And yet…

However, Essa’s face suddenly grew somber. “You must care for him though. Remember how hard it will be for him, given what he faces. Given what we have done.”

Geoffrey looked away and sighed. “I have many others to care for. It is not easy.”

“You are a just and wise king,” Essa said. “It is good that you care for so many. But Berard is a man grown. He can look out for himself. Our Henri is a boy. He needs aid.”

“What of Dat?” Geoffrey asked, though he wished he hadn’t brought up one of his other bastards.

“He is not the son of a king and powerful duchess,” Essa said. “And besides, he is but a boy of two years. Far too young to be given anything. Let him prove his worth and in time, you will find a place for him.”

“My other boys,” Geoffrey said. “If not Guilhem, who shall have kingdoms… what of little Geoffrey? Or the child my wife carries?”

“You will find land for them when they are ready,” Essa said. “Or… ask their mother - she should have opportunities to replace her troublesome vassals soon enough.”

“I…” Geoffrey said as he rubbed his temples. She made sense… but she always did. He missed her voice. Her missed her wisdom. But most of all… he missed her touch.

“I know you shall make the right choice,” Essa told him. “You always do.”

He sighed, uncertain if she was right, this time… or ever.

But Essa pulled his head toward her for another kiss. And then she pulled him further, onto the bed, where they continued to kiss.

And yet something was wrong. For as he began to embrace her, he could feel himself slipping away. Her visage was fading to memory, turning from the lovely face he remembered to a shadow and nothing more.

He remembered it was just a dream. Essa was not with him. She was still gone. And to make matters worse, he also knew he was waking up. He didn’t want to, and Geoffrey fought as hard as he could to remain asleep.

Yet it was all in vain. Geoffrey soon found himself staring at the back of his eyelids, and felt himself in his bed. His eyes opened, and it was over.

With it, came a longing that he had not felt in some time. He wanted to be with Essa once more, to feel her soft, warm body pressed against his, to enjoy her touch again.

I was so close, he thought, his chest aching with the feeling of loss all over again.

Of course, it was impossible. She was gone forever, and no amount of wishing or longing could bring her back to him.

The only thing that remained of their love was the boy… Henri.

….

Geoffrey was initially in no mood to deal with much of anyone that morning, though he was up out of bed before servants came to wake him. He had tried to sleep again, trying to recapture his moment with his beloved late duchess, yet found nothing but frustration.

However, by the time the sun had begun to illuminate his room, Geoffrey realized something else.

He had prayed for a sign to his question. Now Essa had visited him in his dreams. Just as when he felt lost that day over a decade ago, when Ælfflæd had quit Bordeaux with Agnes’ help and his mother’s support, and Essa had come to him then.

His answer had arrived. And it told him to give Aurilliac to Henri.

Thus Geoffrey found himself with a renewed willingness to go forward with his decision. But he would not simply hide and hope for the situation with Berard to go away. He needed to confront his friend and be honest with him, while also showing he did plan to give him something in the future.

After all, Geoffrey always delivered for him in the end. It was why he was his advisor, after being made to wait. He just needed to remind him of it.

With no urgent council business, Geoffrey refrained from holding a meeting on this day and instead just summoned Berard to his chamber.

Geoffrey told his guards he wanted no interruptions, knowing this might be a sensitive matter. Then he sat down, took a deep breath, and sent for his friend.

Formality between Geoffrey and his closest confidants tended to be nearly non-existent, with the basics motions of bowing quickly the only thing they bothered with. Berard rarely even did that, as the line between council member and friend was blurred beyond repair.

So it must have been odd for Berard to enter the chamber and see Geoffrey seated at his table, elbows rested on the surface and hands forming a triangle in front of his face.

It was enough for Berard to say: “Is something the matter, Geoff?”

Geoffrey motioned for Berard to sit across from him. The king’s heart raced, knowing this likely would go poorly. He hated to disappoint his friend, and to do so in a manner guaranteed to make him feel slighted. Had he given Aurilliac to the princes, or even Princess Margo, Berard probably would feel no malice.

But to give it to his secret bastard…

“Aurilliac,” Geoffrey said. “I’ve come to a decision.”

Berard eyed him for a moment. “What is that decision?”

“I’ve decided to give Aurilliac to Henri of Poitou,” Geoffrey said.

1140-Count-Henri-of-Aurilliac.jpg

Berard mouth dropped open. He did not respond beyond that.

“I know you’re disappointed,” Geoffrey said. “But I have reasons for this decision.”

Berard pinned him with his gaze. “The only reason is because he’s your son.”

“Yes,” Geoffrey told him flatly. “Essa asked me to provide for him. And this is the best way I can.”

“What Essa wants should have ended a half decade ago,” Berard said. “No, it should have ended before, given the harm she caused you.”

“Do not blame her for my decisions,” Geoffrey said.

“I blame both of you,” Berard replied. “You being unable to see past her feminine wiles and her for using them on you.”

“My choices are my own,” Geoffrey said. “She asked. I could have refused.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better about this?” Berard demanded. “Or all the things from back then?”

“It worked out for you,” Geoffrey said.

“Only because she passed,” Berard said. “I do not wish death to be my savior. Yet that is where I am - I hold my role because Essa died. The only way I may receive lands is if my brother dies without an heir.”

“I understand,” Geoffrey said.

“Do you?” Berard demanded. “You may not have been born the heir to Aquitaine, but you were still the crown prince for most of your life - certainly from the earliest I can remember. Your future was always in your hands. My future has always been in the hands of others. My father. My brother. You. And it only grows harder to stomach as my sons grow older, and I wonder whether I will have anything to pass along to them.”

To that, what could Geoffrey say except: “I will not let that happen. You shall have lands to give to your sons. I swear it.”

“Unless it conflicts with some other requests from that harpy,” Berard said. “I cannot escape her reach! None of us can - even beyond the grave she influences you.”

Geoffrey sighed. “You overstate things.”

“Do I?” Berard said. “Why don’t we ask Edouard. Or perhaps your wife.”

Geoffrey eyed him. “I know you’re angry. And disappointed. But there are limits to my patience. If you tell my wife…”

“Do you really think I need to?” Berard asked. “Why else would you raise the fourth son of the Duke of Poitou, given your strife with him? Especially given the rumors that you’re the boy’s father are hardly new. The queen has heard them. Everyone has heard them. And you seem determined to confirm them.”

“I fulfill a request of a loyal lady, who was one of my most powerful vassals,” Geoffrey said. “That her son be given lands which shall be in the regions of her other son or sons - whichever ends up holding Poitou and Toulouse. I am simply being generous by granting it - nothing more.”

“No one will believe that,” Berard said.

“You assume far too much,” Geoffrey said. “You know the truth. Edouard knows the truth. But others don’t. A few here may suspect. Most will just accept it and move on, for it does not affect them. Even most of the other lords don’t care - for it was not their lands. It was mine. It has always been mine - I inherited it from my father. I granted it to my cousin, and now it is back in my hands. It is mine to do as I please.”

Berard stared at him for a moment before shaking his head. “Fine. That is your choice. I understand.”

Geoffrey sighed. “You want the truth? Yes, it is because I cared for her. The reality is the boy is the last thing I have of her and I can not treat him like my son in most ways… except this. I cannot live with myself if I do not do this for him… and her. You spoke of leaving nothing for your son? That is me - except it would be the knowledge that Henri would be the only child who I do not provide for.”

“You cannot,” Berard said. “That is what you and his mother wrought.”

“He is punished for that every day of his life,” Geoffrey said. "I cannot aid him most of the time. But I can here, and let him forge a future for himself. If I do nothing, and the boy flounders and suffers… it will haunt me.”

Berard bit his lip, but nodded. “I… understand.”

“You don’t,” Geoffrey said. “And I don’t blame you. For you would not do as I have done, and that is why you are who you are. It is why I value you. Why I need you by my side, so that I do not veer too much from the righteous path. But I know you deserve reward too. I promise to make it up to you. I swear you shall be a lord in your own right one day. Even if it is the last thing I ever do, I will see you raised.”

Berard’s eyes were more sullen than normal and Geoffrey knew that this explanation was hard for him to swallow. It required more patience, and a reminder of a sore spot that had driven a wedge between their friendship before.

Since Geoffrey’s best answer was to keep Berard’s eyes on the future, he decided to move onto that as well.

“I know you think I merely delay,” Geoffrey said. “But I want to show you I am serious. A first payment if you will.”

“What is that?” Berard asked.

“I will join our families,” Geoffrey said. “If you would agree to it.”

“Agree to what exactly?” Berard asked.

“My daughter, your niece, Azelma,” Geoffrey said. “Your son Savarics. I think they should be wed.”

1140-Azelma.jpg

“You think what?” Berard asked. “You have never cared for unions so close before.”

“I don’t care for them, but I will make an exception in this case,” Geoffrey said.

“What of Margo?” Berard asked.

Geoffrey shook his head. “You know she is likely going to marry the son of an English lord.”

“Perhaps things have changed,” Berard said. “I thought I knew of your plans for Aurilliac and I didn’t.”

“Don’t get this way,” Geoffrey told him. “I have many considerations to make.”

“They don’t come up with Knud,” Berard said. “Just me.”

“Should I send you to observe Toulouse too?” Geoffrey asked.

Berard sighed. “Look, Geoff, it’s just… hard. You speak of valuing me, but then you clearly place me second. Me, second to your bastard son. My son, marrying his cousin, your daughter, but not a true princess. You clearly will play favorites when it suits you, regardless of what the nobility thinks, like with Knud. But when it comes to matters like this… you choose not to. It just… it makes it hard to take your reasoning seriously.”

“Do you deny that I need Margo to help keep the peace?” Geoffrey asked. “You, yourself advocated for such things. To do as my wife says and prevent revolt.”

“If you had three daughters it would hardly matter and we know it,” Berard said. “Honestly, Geoff, I said that because I will always tell you to put the realm first. It just seems as when you don’t, it is for yourself or others. But rarely for me.”

“You’re my advisor,” Geoffrey said. “People say I did it because you were my friend.”

“After you had Essa in the role,” Berard said. “Seems as if I must amend my statement. When it is related to Essa, I come second.”

“But it proves my point,” Geoffrey said. “Your time came, and you’ve seen yourself made my advisor and one of my commanders. If you are patient, your rewards will come here too. When have I not eventually come through for you? Despite many others arguing against you, saying you are not even a landed lord and thus are not worthy of such a lofty position.”

Berard sighed. “How am I supposed to dispel such talk if I am wholly reliant on you for everything? And how can I truly serve you as best I can if I can only offer advice and not support in men?”

Geoffrey stood and put his hand on Berard’s back. “Exactly how you have been. The coming months and years may be rough. England remains a thorn in our side. Their war in the holy lands continues. The talk of Emmanuel in Rome… and the crusade. The Frankish boy-king… the heathens in Iberia. I will have need for your mind and your leadership on the battlefield in the times ahead.”

Berard nodded, though Geoffrey knew it was more of him trying to be polite and roll with this setback.

But Geoffrey was not placating him. Just as he would not abandon Knud, he would not let down Berard. The Perigord man would be a lord one day… even if he did not yet know when that day would come.

“Have you talked to Ana about this plan of yours?” Berard asked.

Geoffrey shook his head. “Am I required to? Azelma is my daughter.”

“No,” Berard said. “You can do as you please. I just wondered if she was aware.”

“She will be soon enough, provided you agree to it,” Geoffrey said. “And I do not expect her to say much. As I said, you will be landed one day, so Azelma will find herself a countess in time.”

1140-Azelma-Savarics.jpg

Berard nodded but before he could respond further, there was a pounding on the door. The pair glanced at each other before a guard slid in and closed the door behind.

“Forgive the intrusion, your highness,” the guard said as he bowed.

“What is this about?” Geoffrey asked the guard. “You know I said no interruptions.”

“Bishop Edouard said it is important,” the guard said. “That you would need to hear it.”

Geoffrey found no reason to doubt the guard, nor his cousin, but it was a bit concerning. News could very well be something he didn’t want to hear, especially since it could not wait.

Still there was no use putting it off, so the king motioned that Edouard would be allowed to enter.

“What now?” Berard wondered aloud.

“Perhaps he brings me news of my wife’s troublesome cousin,” Geoffrey said.

“Which one?” Berard asked.

“Yes, yes, I’ve said that one before too,” Geoffrey said.

The pair turned their eyes to Edouard as he entered, bowing quickly before the king.

“I thought you said there was no important business today,” Geoffrey told his cousin.

“There wasn’t,” Edouard said. “But now there is. A rider just arrived. Important news.”

“Is my wife’s cousin no more?” Geoffrey asked.

“That isn’t it,” Edouard said. “It’s the Holy Lands. Acre has fallen.”

Geoffrey and Berard traded glances. The king shrugged. “Fallen to what?”

“The English,” Edouard said.

Geoffrey’s eyes nearly bulged from his head. Again he looked at Berard, whose open mouth betrayed his shock over it… and suggested Geoffrey didn’t mishear his cousin.

“I’m sorry,” Geoffrey said. “Did you say the English have taken Acre? Acre in the holy lands?”

Edouard nodded. “And they say the queen’s men have not only captured the city… but also the sheik's entire family as well.”

1140-Acre-falls.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Knud should be the next spymaster. It would be suicidal for Spymaster Knud to discover Commander Knud's plots. The killing of a spymaster that discovers your plot is judged to be self defense (no malus for the murderer). Knud has three dead spymasters, but has he ever succeeded with a plot? Is England actually going to win the war? Is Berard going to learn that tomorrow never comes or comes with a two headed grandchild? My King, may you and your family have a happy and safe new year.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: