• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Again, I'm honored, @El Pip but I've made no graphics for my AAR this year...

Reactions:
Again, I'm honored, @El Pip but I've made no graphics for my AAR this year...
The paragraphs were very artfully arranged though.

To be honest I saw that @Bullfilter had voted for you in that category, remembered how much I liked your graphics, and trusted that he (or one of his Emus) had done the due diligence on eligibility.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The paragraphs were very artfully arranged though.

To be honest I saw that @Bullfilter had voted for you in that category, remembered how much I liked your graphics, and trusted that he (or one of his Emus) had done the due diligence on eligibility.
I would have checked to make sure the AAR was updated, but whether there had been any illustrations in the updated chapters is, I believe, one that did not occur to me. So I plead guilty, your honour, but society is to blame! :D

• 5Haha
Reactions:
It's 23:58 GMT on February 2nd. As was foretold in ancient prophecy, and at the one true and correct time, here is my vote.
What if I told you, there remains about 24 hours more to vote as I'm leaving the door open throughout the day today? ;)

Thank you for the vote and with that, we've hit 23 voters between private votes and one of you only offering 1 AAR (surely there is more than the 1 to honor.) The clock remains ticking and there is indeed less than 24 hours left to put in your vote. Don't waste a chance to rewAARd those AARs and writAARs that made your 2023 that much more enjoyable.

We've equaled last years number...can we break the record? :cool:

• 3Like
Reactions:
- Comedy AAR of the Year:

1. Born to Breed: House of the Prophets - Peter Ebbesen
2. Shining Stars - A United States Coming of Age Saga - Rensslaer
3. When Murder Solves Everything - a CK3 Flanders AAR - Tom.D

- Gameplay AAR of the Year:

1. Siberian Prosperity - an Economic CK2 AAR - sanvone
2. Rex Germania - A Brandenburg to Prussia Strategy AAR - Rensslaer
3. To Boldly Go - a Star Trek: Infinite AAR - VLenin
4. When Murder Solves Everything - a CK3 Flanders AAR - Tom.D
5. Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR - jerseygiants88
6. Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts - Wraith11B

- Historybook AAR of the Year:

1. The Leicesters
History of England under the House of Dudley-Tudor - ageofadelina
2. Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR
3. The Rise of Russia - HistoryDude
4. Shining Stars - A United States Coming of Age Saga
5. Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain - DensleyBlair

Narrative AAR of the Year:

1. Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR
2. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936
3. The Empire Strikes Back - Part 4
4. Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain - DensleyBlair
5. The Wars of the Roses - coz1
6.The Leicesters

- Megacampaign AAR of the Year:

1. The Empire Strikes Back - Part 4 - idhrendur

- Graphics/AARtist of the Year:
1. The Leicesters
2. Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR
3. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936
4. The Empire Strikes Back - Part 4
5. Poles Apart - Bulfilter

- Character of the Year:

1. Richard Duke of York - The Wars of the Roses
2. The students of Manchester - Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain
3. Edward VIII, The Leicesters

- Newcomer of the Year:

1. @ageofadelina
2. @Olden Weiss
3. @Basileus2
4. @witchveil
5. @Chac1
6. @danivon

- Writer of the Year:

1. Jerseygiants88
2. Bulfilter
3. El pip
4. Coz1
5. DensleyBlair
6. Peter Ebbesen

- AAR of the Year

1. Italian Ambitions
2. Talking Turkey
3. The Butterfly Effect
4. The Leicesters
History of England under the House of Dudley-Tudor
5. Siberian Prosperity
6. The Wars of the Roses

• 4Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Comedy AAR of the Year:

1. Born to Breed: House of the Prophets by @Peter Ebbesen (CK3)
2. Avon Las Observes by @Midnite Duke (CK2)
3. Road of Queens by @Eurasia (CK2)
4. This is where it ends by @filcat (EU4)
5. Grand Theft Stellaris by @Macavity116

Gameplay AAR of the Year:

1. To Boldly Go - A Star Trek Infinite AAR by @VILenin
2. Forlorn Hope - A Germany Endsieg AAR by @Rolexovsky
3. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter
4. Poles Apart by @Bullfilter
5. Shining Stars - A United States Coming of Age Saga by @Rensslaer (Vic2)
6. Blame Canada! - The current state of HPP by @Slan

Historybook AAR of the Year:

1. Echoes of A New Tomorrow by @DensleyBlair
2. The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR by @El Pip
3. Epirus Ascendant, Part 1 by @HistoryDude
4. Tomorrow Belongs to Me by @TheButterflyComposer
5. Poles Apart by @Bullfilter
6. Sundered Nation by @The Kingmaker

1. Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain - DensleyBlair
2. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936
3. Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR by @TheButterflyComposer (HoI4)
4. Omentide by @The Kingmaker
5. Dreams of an Honest World - a Mexico V3 AAR by @Chilango2
6. Lost Seasons of the Danes by @Chac1

Megacampaign AAR of the Year:

1. Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR, Part Four by @Tommy4ever
2. In the Shadow of the Ancients - An Assyrian AAR, Part Three by @Tommy4ever
3. The Empire Strikes Back - Part 4 by @Idhrendur

Graphics/AARtist of the Year:

1. @roverS3
2. @The Kingmaker
3. @Bullfilter
4. @streaker77
5. @Chac1
6. @TheButterflyComposer

Character of the Year:

1. Queen Margaret of Anjou from Wars of the Roses by @coz1
2. Richard of York from Wars of the Roses by @coz1
3. Sol President Ersh na-Filvan from I Have a Dream (@Nikolai)
4. Witch Queen Morgana Pendragon from Omentide (@The Kingmaker)
5. Ouster, Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR
6. Lorenzo de Medici (Machinations of the Medici) by @jak7139 (EUIV)

Newcomer of the Year:

1. @Chac1
2. @Basileus2
3. @Koweth
4. @WPCSolver
5. @ageofadelina
6. @Olden Weiss

Writer of the Year:

1. @El Pip
2. @DensleyBlair
3. @Bullfilter
4. @TheButterflyComposer
5. @Chac1
6. @coz1

AAR of the Year

1. Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR by @TheButterflyComposer
2. The Butterfly Effect by @El Pip
3. Echoes of a New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain by @DensleyBlair
4. Lost Seasons of the Danes - A Viking AAR by @Chac1
5. The Wars of the Roses by @coz1
6. Pax Britannica – A Great Britain AAR by @Koweth

6676396-6271595007-35461.gif

• 6Love
  • 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Love the graphic, @Wraith11B! Just before the deadline...and yet there remain some few hours left to go. :)

Vote, vote, vote!

I should also say that I am immensely proud to see that we have indeed broken the record of voters this year (even if some voted slimly. ;) ) There is time left to add to the record so don't miss out. :cool:

• 2Like
Reactions:
It absolutely counts, though I feel like you might have read a few others in HoI boards? I swore I recall a reaction or two in mine from you.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Does it count if I (sadly) only read one AAR? I will have to see what's being offered and get back into AARland.
Every vote counts. And yes, you might take the chance while time still allows to see what else is going on around AARland. Every writAAR will thank you! :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Comedy AAR of the Year:

1. Born to Breed by @Peter Ebbesen (CK3)​
2. Road of Queens by @Eurasia (CK2)​
3. Lost Season of the Danes by @Chac1 (CK2)​
4. Grand Theft Stellaris by @Macavity116 (Stellaris)​
6. Butterfly Effect by @El Pip (HoI2) if for no other reason than the banter between @El Pip and @TheButterflyComposer
Gameplay AAR of the Year:

1. Sol Republic by @Nikolai (Stellaris)​
2. Road of Queens by @Eurasia
3. Talking Turkey by @Bullfilter
4. Siberian Prosperity by @Sanvone (CK2)​
5. Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons by @Thaiga (CK2)​
6. Butterfly Effect by @El Pip I am sure that there is gameplay, but I am unsure what game. I think that it is 5D chess and I am a 2D checkers reader.​
Historybook AAR of the Year:
1. Lions of Olomouc by @Revan86 (CK3)​
2. Butterfly Effect by @El Pip
3. Rise of Russia by @HistoryDude (Vicky2) (A question on megacampaigns: Are works there are planned to be megas eligible if only on volume 1 like his Epirus or which end in volume 1 because of computer malfunction?)​
4. The Dragons Realm by @streaker77 (CK2)​
5. Lost Season of the Danes by @Chac1

1. Deeper Understanding by @Von Acturus (Stellaris)​
2. The War of the Roses by @coz1 (EU4)​
3. Butterfly Effect by @El Pip
4. Italian Ambitions by @JerseyGiants88 (EU4)​
5. Year of Hell by @Macavity116 (Stellaris)​
6. Lingering Wounds by @JackGoose (Stellaris)​
Megacampaign AAR of the Year:
1. Moravia series by @Revan86
2. Assyria series by @Tommy4ever
3. Tagalog series by @Black Watch
4. @ibicko series that features different nations​
5. @RedTemplar's German series​
Graphics/AARtist of the Year:
2. @Thaiga
3. @Chac1
4. @Werther
5. @El Pip
Character of the Year:
1. Rolls Royce aircraft engines from Butterfly Effect
2. Viola from Born to Breed
3. Queen Marguerite aka Fancy from War of the Roses (Yes, she is a French tart, but who does not love a hot Tarte Tatin with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream (premium not store brand)).​
4. President Ersh from Sol Republic
5. King Þorolfr from Lost Seasons of the Danes (He has been known to make guest appearances in other AARs)​
6. Basilissa Eulalia from Road of Queens
Newcomer of the Year:
1. @Chac1
2. @Sanvone
4. @Koweth
Writer of the Year:
1. @El Pip
5. @Nikolai
6. @Eurasia (limiting this category to 6 is evil)​
AAR of the Year:
1. Butterfly Effect​
2. Talking Turkey​
3. War of the Roses​
4. Lions of Olomouc​
5. Road of Queens​
6. Born to Breed​
MrT Lifetime Achievement Award has been sent by PM to @coz1. To paraphrase the 80s icon, I pity the fools that don't vote.

You may notice a few unusual @El Pip votes. That is an evil plan on my part. My friend @Macavity116 gives us a bonus episode whenever he wins an award. If @El Pip were to adopt this plan and give us bonus episodes for each podium finish, we may get triple his normal yearly output.

I wish to thank @coz1 for investing in this program and exhorting everyone to vote. Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote. Thank you to every writer who gave the readers enjoyment. Thank you to the commenters, often the comments are as interesting as the main story. As always the readers are the biggest winners.

@coz1, did I beat the deadline?

• 6Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
You may notice a few unusual @El Pip votes. That is an evil plan on my part. My friend @Macavity116 gives us a bonus episode whenever he wins an award. If @El Pip were to adopt this plan and give us bonus episodes for each podium finish, we may get triple his normal yearly output.
Even though I am the target / victim of the plan I must reluctantly applaud such diabolical cunning.

• 4Like
Reactions:
@coz1, did I beat the deadline?
You did and thank you!

And pencils down for all. Voting is now closed. Also, also - We broke the record. :cool:

I shall return later with some preliminary numbers and we should start seeing our winners very soon. :D

• 5Like
Reactions:
We began this process on October 8th and though voting seemed slow at first, we most definitely broke the record by the end of voting yesterday. In all, 26 different voters suggested over 50 different AARs (that is just the AAR of the Year vote.) Some of these races were runaways and some of them were extremely close. Your vote most assuredly mattered and despite some voiced reservations, the amount of support of our writAARs for other writAARs is immeasurable. I can assure you that anyone mentioned in these votes appreciates the support and recognition. And I certainly appreciate the time and energy it took to put together what is admittedly a lengthy ballot.

It took four months, but we are finally here. Stay tuned for the results of the 2023 Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds!

As I've done in years past, I will begin posting stand alone threads for each of the categories generally a day or so apart. First up is comedy...

...and now gameplay.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
And there you have it, AARland. With yesterday's announcement of @Nikolai receiving the MrT Lifetime Achievement AwAARd, we have completed yet another year for these Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds. Another glorious season celebrating everything this place has to offer for the last twelve months. The winners were varied and pretty much all the major game subforums were honored. Certainly nominated. I believe to many it proved the vibrancy of AARland, and if I run these for anything it is for that very purpose. I most assuredly thank all of our voters for taking the time to fill out a ballot no matter how small or large. As has been stated, we broke the record this year for voters and I could not be more pleased. I would call it a resounding success.

Once again, our winners:

2023 Comedy AAR of the Year: Avon Las Observes by @Midnite Duke (CK2)

2023 Gameplay AAR of the Year: Poles Apart – an HOI4 Ahistory by @Bullfilter (HoI4)

2023 Historybook AAR of the Year: Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain by @DensleyBlair (Vic2)

2023 Narrative AAR of the Year: The Wars of the Roses by @coz1 (EU4)

2023 Megacampaign AAR of the Year: The Empire Strikes Back - Part 4 by @Idhrendur (HoI4 and Vickie)

2023 Graphics/AARtist of the Year: @The Kingmaker

2023 Character of the Year: Morgana Pendragon, the Witch Queen from Omentide by @The Kingmaker (AoW4)

2023 Newcomer of the Year: @Chac1

2023 WritAAR of the Year: @The Kingmaker

2023 AAR of the Year: The Wars of the Roses by @coz1 (EU4)

2023 MrT Lifetime Achievement AwAARd: @Nikolai

I have already edited the first post of this thread with this information as well as the awAARds section of the fAARq. And to answer a question brought up in the MrT LIfetime Achievement thread, the winner of that particular awAARd will most definitely be recorded and it is a one and done thing. After all, it is for "a lifetime" and last I checked, we each only have the one. ;)

Of trends, I only note a few. There remain some single issue voters which is why the number of votes matter. And as reminder, that is really reflected when considering placement on the ballot. Every single vote is given an equal weight, but what is placed 6 to what is placed 1 receive an additional small weight depending on the order. It really has relieved us of too many ties and it truly effects the close races.

That leads to another trend which is unavoidable, but I would encourage voters to consider a more well rounded ballot. I appreciate each and every one, but if only one or two AARs are listed, it rather puts other works behind because they received no votes at all. To be sure, it takes time to put a ballot together. Yet AARland is such a large place now, there is surely no shortage of works to be honored. These awAARds prove that.

Overall, I am very encouraged by these proceedings and surely congratulations to each of the winners! :cool:

Now let us begin thinking of 2024! :D

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well done everyone for another excellent awAARds season. Thank you @coz1 for yet again guiding us through proceedings with such dedication and enthusiasm.

• 1Like
Reactions: