• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the one month anniversary of this AAR! (and thus my AAR writing career) yay! :) Let's celebrate with an update shall we?

Also since most of you like the election updates, I'll continue them. Just bear in mind that since I didn't save the upper house results this time, all elections from 1857-1867 will have fictional voting results. The only thing that will be accurate in these elections will be who wins. I've halved the update so I can fit an election in between.

aldriq: I was wondering where you were... And just a reminder to everyone else out there reading this AAR, please comment! I love it when people provide regular feedback! :)

Porkman: Personally I've always used 尼德蘭 which would make us "virtuous orchid land". In this timeline our official transliteration will be 橙國 since all the cool countries have a kwok at the end of their transliterations. Long live the Orange Kingdom!

Alex (1): Thank you, Frederik Gregory is the only one who would fit the timeline, so i'll have to go with him.

Alex (2): Oh Writing them is fun, coming up with that picture which shows who won what seat? that was torturous. It will be a little easier now that i have a template though.

Bonecracker: Thank you, good to have you along.

the_hdk: Thank you very much! I'm honoured :)

SnakeByte99: Thank you for your Input! Doorman is far too early (I don't think he's even been born yet) whereas the late governor is too, umm, late... It doesn't have to be a full admiral, even a commodore would do. :)

"The West Wind Blows Again": Dekker's First Term in office 1852-1857

Spreading the West Wind: The Orange Map and the White Raja

"For as long there has been culture and humanity there have been two winds blowing in this world: the Wind which blows West from Constantinople and that which blows East from Constantinople. There is a saying that only one of these winds which will prevail and I believe it is fair to say that the West Wind shall prevail over the East. That is to say that the West Wind of Christianity and Civilisation shall prevail over the East Wind of Heathenism and Barbarity."
Eduard Dekker, First Prime Minister of The Netherlands: victory speech.

Having been a member of the Pro-Imperialist lobby before election and elected on a campaign promise of expanding the Dutch Empire, PM Dekker wasted no time in petitioning King Frederik for imperial expansion, and laid out a long-term plan for expansion in the East Indies. The "Oranje Map" as it came to be known, laid Dutch claims on all territories unclaimed in the East Indies.

oranjemap.png

Dekker's Oranje Map divided SE Asia between the three Great Powers active in the region: The Netherlands, Great Britain and Spain. Note that British-controlled Malacca is included with Dutch Malaya.

Frederik had no intention of re-claiming Malacca and Eduard Dekker knew it. Dekker convinced Frederik that by claiming Malacca he could convince Britain to accept Dutch hegemony in the region in exchange for keeping Malacca. Frederik and Dekker knew that British Influence in the region was growing and that it was a matter of time before "White Raja" Sir James Brooke added Brunei to the British Empire; they also knew that the current Prime Minister of Great Britain, George Hamilton-Gordon, was far too busy with the Crimea to worry about SE Asia and that if they acted now and quickly they might just be able to take Brunei from under Britain's nose with minimal fuss. With Frederik's blessing, Dekker declared war on the 13th of December 1852.

Just as Dekker predicted, Britain was too preoccupied to respond. Rookie commander Sir James Brooke led the Sultan of Brunei's forces against the Dutch Colonial Army led by General Daniel Tasman, hero of the Aceh, Malaya and Formosa campaigns. The Brunei Army was slow to respond, and the first and only battle commenced on the 29th of August 1853 after most of the Bruneian countryside had been occupied.

V2_121.jpg

Daniel Tasman ordered the annexation of Brunei into the Dutch East Indies on the 7th of January 1853. The Sultan and Sir James Brooke were both repatriated to Great Britain on the orders of King Frederik, where the latter was sent to fight in the Crimean War on the Queen's orders. Frederik's humane treatment of both the Sultan and Sir James was a major factor in Britain's lack of response.

V2_124.jpg

V2_125.jpg

The Dutch East Asian Empire after the Annexation of Brunei

The East Indies wasn't the only place for expansion. During the war with Brunei, Dutch Shipyards made several advances in sea propulsion. From 1852 to 1854 King Frederik ordered the construction of new, steam-propelled transports to replace the Dutch Navy's aging Clipper fleet. Most of these ships were sent to duties with the Home Fleet, apart from six: which were constructed in newly-commissioned shipyards in Java for service in the East Indies Fleet.

Untitled-2.png

HNLMS Batavia One of six new steam-propelled transports constructed on the island of Java.

In addition to Naval progress, education and scholarship made great leaps under Dekker, as one would expect from a Prime Minister who was himself a writer. During this time many debates were conducted in public forums all over the Netherlands over the role of the State and Government. After the success of the war with Brunei Dekker drummed up further support for Dutch Imperialistic ambitions with his literary works, publishing his treatise Nationalisme en Imperialisme in 1855.

Unlike Max Havelaar, Nationalisme en Imperialisme was a historical essay and treatise. It argued that contrary to popular thought, Nationalism was a precursor to Imperialism and necessary for the growth of it, rather than being responsible for it's decline, as predicted by anti-imperialist schools of thought. Dekker believed that Nationalism was a crucial ingredient in keeping an empire together, and that the benefits of convincing newly conquered people they were part of a greater empire were greater than simply oppressing them. "One favours cooperation while the other leads to confrontation", argued Dekker.

Dekker also argued that understanding of history was paramount to any empire, as based on his experiences in Asia, precedent and it's citation can be a powerful force. With the King's blessing, Dekker ordered the commencement of several archaeological expeditions in both Dutch and non-Dutch lands. The expeditions payed dividends almost overnight.

V2_126.jpg

Excavations in newly-added Brunei pointed to previously unknown Dutch settlement in the region, possibly dating back to the days of Spanish rule. Further excavations pointed to Bruneian remains dating back as far as ancient Egypt, possibly challenging the theory that Egypt was the first great empire

V2_133.jpg

Dutch Archaeologists and Egyptologists were keen to test this theory, and excavations in Luxor soon commenced. This was one of the first interactions the Dutch Government made with Egypt

Cultuur Imperialisme under Dekker

Frederik was keen to expand Dutch Influence overseas while wary of angering any of Europe's colonial powers, Dekker's solution was the application of the Cultuur Imperialisme policy used in Colombia. Dekker proposed that intimidation and Dutch technological and cultural superiority could be used to bring countries under the Dutch heel. Frederik himself had several targets in mind, and intended to leave the Boer Republics to Great Britain but parliament and popular demand forced him to make at least a token attempt to influence them.

Japan and Gregory's "Black Ships"

Japan was high on the Frederik's list. Trade with Japan had been a staple of the Dutch economy for over 250 years but at Japanese insistence it proceeded at a trickling pace rather than the stream it could be. Many Dutch Military advisors believed that a full-scale invasion of Japan was unfeasible due to Japan's large population and fierce warriors, so Dekker looked to Dutch Naval superiority as a means to threaten Japan.

The man tasked to lead the Dutch mission to Japan was Vice-Admiraal Frederik Gregory. He would be tasked with opening up trade with Japan by force, if necessary. Gregory would have some of the most advanced ships in the world at his disposal, including the six steam-propelled transports built in Java. The expedition arrived in Edo on the first of June 1856.[1]

admiraal.png

Vice-Admiraal Frederik Gregory, the man tasked with opening up Japan to further Dutch trade

Unlike previous attempts by western powers (including Dutch attempts), Gregory went straight towards the Japanese capital rather than Nagasaki. Gregory knew enough about Japan to know that he had to be arrogant to be heard, and a threat at the heart of Japan would be much more intimidating than one at Nagasaki.

The Japanese were shocked by the arrival. This was the first time any Japanese had seen a steam-powered ship before, even more shocking was the attitude of the Dutch. Before this expedition trade with Japan had been done on Japan's terms, never before had a foreign mission been audacious as to lay demands on the Japanese. Gregory's terms were simple; either Japan opened itself to Dutch trade or he would level Edo.

To the Japanese there was no alternative, Japan was ill-equipped for a naval assault, and there was a fear among some in the Shogun's court that Edo Castle itself could be threatened, even though it was 4 Kilometres away from the nearest waterway. Nevertheless the Shogun was pressured into signing what became known as the "Dutch Letter" agreement, granting the Dutch exclusive trade rights in Japan and opening up five new ports (Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagoya, Edo and Naha) to Dutch trade.

Although not worth as much as the Japanese trade, Korea was an important trading partner to Frederikstad and other Dutch settlements in Formosa, while Indonesia proved a profitable market for goods from Java and the Dutch East Indies. After his success in Japan, Gregory was sent to negotiate with the Koreans and Vietnamese, where he used a much more subtle approach than with Japan.
dutchbyjapan.png

Stylised impressions of the Dutch sailors under Vice-Admiraal Frederik Gregory painted by Japanese artisans circa 1856.

The 1856 Acquisition of Panama

As we saw in Chapter V, Colombia was a nation crippled by debt and depression. In an attempt to alleviate the suffering of the Colombian populace, Newly elected President Manuel María Mallarino renewed calls for a Canal to be built across Panama. Manuel hoped that building a Canal would provide ample employment opportunities for Colombia's embattled citizens and that the canal could be sold to Dutch authorities in an attempt to alleviate Colombia's national debt. President Manuel contacted French engineer Ferdinand de Lesseps to oversee construction. According to the deal, Colombia would pay for the construction and sell the Canal and the surrounding province of Balboa and in exchange The Netherlands would forgive Colombia's national debt within 10 years.

colombianpresident.png

Acting President Manuel María Mallarino, the man credited with saving Colombia from economic depression

Construction on the Canal began in 1856, the news was dampened by the death of the Dutch Deputy Prime Minister, Chief of Staff and hero of the War of Unification Ruben Van Wassenaer.

hahah.png

The death of Ruben van Wassenaer coincided with the construction of the Canal at Balboa. After completion it was named the Wassenaer Canal in his honour.

Coming up next: first an election update, then part two and Britain's response to the Oranje map.

[1] In this timeline, the US have no provinces bordering the Pacific Ocean, hence have no interests in the pacific, hence no Perry expedition.

So Japan is in your SoI?

How are things going in Germany? Mabye you could use some of your influence points to prevent the Prussians forming the NGF or even Germany - these would be major threats to the Dutch Empire.

Great update as allways, thank you! :)

How is industrialisation going forward?
I am curious how UK will react to your moves... and also whats going on with the rest of the european powers.
Whats up with that crimean war?

Tommy (1): Yes, as are Dai Nam, Korea and a few other nations. If you like, I'll post a map showing all the countries in our SoI next update.

Tommy (2): I don't think that will be necessary, what are the odds of Germany forming anyway?

Enewald: Because I can :)

Middelkerke: Welcome! Obviously going after Dai Nam would be impossible, but Siam and the Spanish possessions do look enticing. Siam is being influenced by us so I'll probably sphere them. They always try to break out of our sphere though so we may just end up going to war after all.

Alex (1): Industrialisation has been at the mercy of the capitalists since the start, that's why our industrial score is so low.

Alex (2): Russia had a sudden urge to add Wales to it's great empire, suffice to say the war didn't last long and ended in a White Peace. I wrote this in as being the Crimean War, even though the Ottomans weren't involved.

Ricainfier: Welcome to you too! No, that would be pointless busywork. :)

Peace-loving Dutch? Only when they are asleep :D China next?

Tanzhang said:
No, that would be pointless busywork. :)

Can you not rename the provinces (not the states) directly in the game? It would be a nice touch.

Germany never was threat for Holland, both were friendly towards each other, their kaiser was the uncle of our queen.

btw
it is Cultureel Imperialisme, Cultural imperialism
cultuur imperialisme is culture imperialism
some grammer;)

aldriq (1): No, I think we should intergrate that faux-Dutch kingdom of Bali before we deal with Greater British India :)

aldriq (2): If you could explain how, that would be nice.

DutchEmperor (1): Welcome! Greece was quite friendly to Germany too yet they still fought for the Allies in WWI, despite the King's objections.

DutchEmperor (2): Wiki begs to differ, and it's grammar not grammer, some spelling ;)

I absolutely loved this update. But I also have a confession to make - every time I see that picture of Admiral Perr- Er, Frederik Gregory, I have to restrain my laughter and I don't know why. It's something in that expression that just says 'I want to open your port' or something...

Again, Dekkar is an invaluable addition to the Netherlands. His ability with words and his knowledge of the human psyche make him probably the most potent tool in Frederik's arsenal; those historical expedition events were not only perfectly timed, but really entrench Dekkar as a mastermind. Not to say that the rest of the Netherland's armory is doing badly - this more forceful Dutch Letter seems quite a proposition indeed. If the Netherlands takes Bali though, they'll have a near-complete set, needing only a glistening Pearl to complete a treasure trove indeed. Well, unless you want to extend further onto the continent... :D (By which I'd imply going up and around. I have no idea what Haishenwai/Vladivostok would be called if the Netherlands took it, but it is very beautiful this time of year...)

A question - is Frederik's reluctance due to a belief that the Boers will only slow him down, or something else? It seems to me he's been very realistic about things... Seconding a SoI map, maybe some more history and background - heck, whatever you want to throw our way! :) - and more on the glorious War for Wales, which is unfairly left out of most history books. ;)

aldriq: Actually I thought you could only do that in WWM for some unknown reason...

Communitarian (1): Congrats on taking out the ACA Award for Best Narrative AAR (V2)! Now celebrate by cutting all future updates by about 85% so I can keep up to date.

Communitarian (2): Although Russia has grown weak during it's (attempted) conquest of Wales, I'd rather save all that BB on wars in Asia :)

Communitarian (3): Frederik's reluctance is based on his good friendship with Victoria and Great Britain. Britain has it's designs in South Africa, (Oranje Free State and Zululand are already in it's Sphere) whereas Frederik has his in Asia. Also, as you'll see in future updates, the Boers aren't exactly fond of Frederik's colonial policies and his insistence they adopt them...

The 1857 Election

The Royalist Party (Oranje Partij)
Riding a wave of popular support since the annexation of Brunei, Dekker and the Royalists offered more of the same (they were conservatives after all), with Dekker promising the incorporation of Bali into the Dutch East Indies by the next election (1862). Dekker would once again contest the election as leader, however the death of Ruben van Wassenaer left the position of deputy party leader (and thus deputy Prime Minister) vacant.

To fill this position, Dekker chose someone he knew was a competent leader and administrator, his ex-boss. Despite accusations of nepotism from Thorbecke and the Liberal Press, ex-Gouverneur-Generaal of the Dutch East Indies, Jan Jacob Rochussen was sworn in as the second deputy Prime Minister of The Netherlands on the 25th of February 1856. In an ironic twist, he also replaced Pieter Mijer as Minister van Koloniën (henceforth referred to as Colonial Secretary) who was sent to replace A.J.D. van Twist as Gouverneur-Generaal of the Dutch East Indies (who had been Jan Jacob's successor as Gouverneur-Generaal).

JJR.png

Jan Jacob Rochussen, 1st Graaf van Java. His experience in colonial administration made him the ideal choice for the Pro-Imperialistic Royalists

The Liberale Party (Liberale Partij)
Thorbecke's first term as Leader of the Loyal Opposition was an uneventful one. Dekker and the Royalists wave of popular support meant there was little chance for good criticism, not that Thorbecke didn't try his best.

Thorbecke and the Liberales had only narrowly lost the last election, and he and the party was therefore confident in their platform. In a tactical move to win more seats, Thorbecke decided to focus on the north-east of the country, himself campaigning hard in Zwolle while his deputy leader, Gerrit Schimmelpenninck, switched seats from Amsterdam (whose MP was none other than Eduard Dekker) to Arnhem, which was won in the last election by the Agricultural party.

The Agricultural Party (Landbouw Partij)
Unlike the two major parties, the "Agricultural" Party underwent major policy changes before the election, mainly at the insistence of the party's newest member, the scholar Guillaume Groen van Prinsterer, KNR. Guillaume convinced the party to make major concessions in many of it's economic policies in order to appeal to the middle class, even though they couldn't vote as of yet they remained a powerful lobby group in Dutch politics; more and more aristocrats came from the middle class and more and more aristocrats adjusted their values to that of the middle class, especially on economic policy.

Guillaume was a devout Christian, and lifelong supporter of the Reformed Church. He argued that the party should switch from it's feudalistic views on the economy to focus on religious policy, namely the increasing polarisation of Dutch society between Catholics and Protestants. Under Guillaume's policy reforms, the party would favour a more mainstream, protectionist economic policy while shifting focus to benefiting Dutch Protestants. While this effectively meant they'd never win any seats in the country's south it did boost their popularity in the Protestant north.

The Radical Party (Radicalisme)
The Radical platform would never change, as they stubbornly clinged to their dreams of Belgian independence. Whereas the Agricultural Party contested seats mostly in the north, the Radicals focused entirely in consisting seats in the south.

Election Results

election1857.png

The Royalists made major gains in the south, winning 13 seats, an increase of 3 from the last election. Liberales won only 8, but due to Thorbecke's strategy won Zwolle and and Arnhem. The Agricultural Party lost all of it's previous seats but won the crucial seat of Rotterdam-The Hague, the most populous seat in the country.

popularvote1857.png

Dekker's popularity surged during his first term, with the Royalists forming their first non-coalition government with 63% of the Popular vote. The Agricultural Party managed to increase it's popular vote from the last election despite losing three seats, such was the influence of holding Rotterdam-The Hague

GGVP.png

Guillaume Groen van Prinsterer, MP for Rotterdam-The Hague. His victory there was hailed as a miracle as he climbed the ranks of the party. His influence within the Agricultural Party led him to disband the party and establish the Calvinistische Zuil Partij (CZP) in 1858.

Last edited:
5 more years!

Its quite shocking how dominant the Royalists are in Dutch politics. Hopefully the liberals can rally in future elections and run the Royalists more closely.

5 more years!

Its quite shocking how dominant the Royalists are in Dutch politics. Hopefully the liberals can rally in future elections and run the Royalists more closely.

Well, what do you expect from a political system where only aristocrats can vote? It's testament to Paradox and how the Dutch are coded that the Liberals are able to have a significant minority in the Upper House. Besides, if God's Only Mistake and his party of Low Tariff, Laissez Faire, anti-war, pro-fertiliser industry Liberales ever get into power, Frederik will make sure they aren't in power long. ;) Unfortunately his British counterparts don't have the same luxury....

Why can't the Agricultural Party simply disband in favor of a Tsarist one? We must make sure that a Tsarist regime shall take power here, with or without the blessings of the king and/or the people.

Nice update, even if the whole White Raja part looked a bit familiair ;). Although its just weird having one of the staunchest historical opponents of imperialism as a highly imperialist PM. The twist of fate if as ironic as it is interesting.

Another grammatical tidbit: Calvinist Zuil Partij should be Calvinistische Zuil Partij (even if that name is a bit weird in Dutch).

Nice election interlude, thank you Tanzhang! :)

I wonder why "The Agricultural Party" lost the northern provinces when they tried to broaden their appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.