• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexspeed

Art - Games - History
202 Badges
Sep 18, 2005
steamcommunity.com
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
contestheader1.jpg

Contest: Write a Victoria 2 AAR - 110.000 Blue Coins to win on Gamersgate

The Contest is over. I am happy and proud to present you the final results:

Congratulations to the winners!
Thank you to all Participants & Judges!
Thanks to Paradox & Kallocain!

It was a pleasure for me to organise this contest.
I hope alot of pepole enjoyed it. :)

Give those AAR´s a read, comment on them or write one yourself!

---------------------------------------------

The Final Contest End Overview!

Final Ranking:

Also check out the Award Gallery!

The Scores:

Here is the final scoretable for your viewing pleasure:

Click the image to open it in a bigger view!
(openes in new tab or window)

Also avaible, a Download of the Excel file + the jpg
with the scores, if you want to view it that way.

DOWNLOAD (link goes to filefront)

The .zip-File contains:
- 1 .xls File made in Excel 2003
- 1 .jpg of a screenshot of the scores

Please note that the Judges names are intentionally not included in the scoretable.

If you want some statistics, check out this posting from scholar, thank you!

The Judges:

Check out the original posting here!

Judges: (in no special order)
  • gigau
  • Monnikje
  • Rensslaer
  • SAS
  • TheArchduke
  • Tommy4ever
  • Mr. Capiatlist
  • Slan
  • CatKnight
  • Qorten
  • comagoosie
  • PrawnStar
  • Emperor Ike
  • morningSIDEr
  • NoodleNaught (Community Judge)
  • Kinniken (Community Judge)

Again thanks to everyone! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original announcment starts here:

Hello dear AAR Writers & Readers,

I, unfortunatly, lack the time that it takes to really write a decent AAR.
Also my experience and skill isnt that great compared to many of you when it comes to writing a AAR in english.
But i want to see a AAR that uses the Map Modifications that i have created, to show how they look in a actual game.
Therefore because i cannot do it, I thought I make you all a offer:

Stand up to the task and write a interresting AAR with a good amount of nice pictures
to showcase your writing skills & the graphical mods that i have made for the Victoria 2 map. (links in my signature)

The country isnt of much concern for me, choose whatever you want,
just make it interresting, funny, historical, whatever route you wanna go,
but try your best.

I want you to use at least my MIP - Map Improvment Package
(Untransparent Map Mod would be nice too but isnt mandatory),
This will be the basis to judge the AAR´s of,
its the writing constant that every AAR that takes part has to have.
You can use any other compatible mod with it of course too.

The AAR will need to have at least 5 Chapters and
should be updated at least 1 time a week with new content and pictures.
If you write more then 5 chapters then the first 10 chapters will go into the voting.
And it has to be a new AAR, not one that has allready started.

To take part you have to tell me that in this thread and link to your AAR here.
I will update the post and list the participants in this posting.

The contest ends 15th of November,
then the judges will choose the winner out of the writers that choose to participate,

For all that work i offer 110.000 Blue Coins on Gamersgate,
to be payed to the writers of the best 3 AAR´s after the 10th chapter.

The first place winner will recieve:

60.000 Blue Coins on Gamersgate.

2nd and 3rd place AAR´s will get:

30.000 Blue Coins and 20.000 Blue Coins on Gamersgate.

You need to have or make a Gamersgate Account to recieve the Blue Coins.
Follow the links if you dont know what those are.
60000 Blue Coins sum up to a ammount of €43.71 at the moment of this posting.
That is enough to buy Victoria 2 for example.

New additional Prizes from Paradox!

Paradox agreed to sponsor the top ten AAR's with a secret prize,
and promote the winning AAR to an Article seen on the Paradox Forum Frontpage!

Thank you Paradox!

The AAR can be longer of course, but 5 chapters is the minimum required (missing chapters will net negative points),
and if you write more then 5 chapters, then the first 10 chapters will determine the judgement.

Clarification on the number of chapters required:

- You write 5 chapters according to the rules.
You are now eligible for the contest to be judged. You can decide to write as many chapters more as you want to,
and the next 5 chapters will still be judged as long they are still according to the rules.
You can also decide that the chapters after your 5th chapter dosent get judged for the contest any more and then the rules are all off for your AAR there.

- You write 5 chapters plus 5 chapters more.
You are still eligible for the contest to be judged. You can of course write as many chapters more as you want to,
but everything after the 10th chapter wont be judged for the contest any more.
The rules are all off for your AAR after the 10th chapter in any circumstance.
If one of the chapters 6-10 is not according to the rules,
they all will be excluded from judging and only your first 5 chapters will get judged.

Modifications:
You can allways modify any chapter till the 01-11-2010, that is the date on what the judges will be invited to begin reading the contesting AAR´s.
You can still write new chapters after this date till the 15-11-2010, but not modify older ones.

Also those chapters have to be of a common length and not overly short or only pictures.
You can look at OHgamers V2 Beta AAR or at aldriqs No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion or also Rensslaers I Am Siam,
they have a text/image balance you could aim for, dont make too less text or too much to read
and use pictures, but not too many that it gets to be a burden for the reader.
ImageShack does a good job for hosting pictures if you need a imagehost.

To give you a rule of thumb what is expected here is a minimal/maximal Limit of words per chapter for this contest:
400/2000 Words and about 4/10 pictures per chapter should be okay, but its not set in stone, just a guide what to aim for.

To determine the winner, there will be judges who will rate the AAR´s that get written by points,
only i will know the judges till the result is final to make them not influencable.

All the AAR-Forum-Rules and all General Forum Rules do apply too of course.
Thanks to coz1 and the rest of the AAR moderation staff for allowing me to run this contest :)

I hope to sparked your interrest and look forward to read your AAR´s :)
If you have further questions, just ask them.

Good luck to everyone!

RULES in short:

• Write a NEW AAR in the Victoria 2 AAR-Forum.
  • announce your participation in this thread with a link to your AAR.
  • post at least 1 chapter in a Week and at least 5 chapters.
  • use at least my MIP - Map Improvment Package, Untransparent Map Mod would be nice too but isnt mandatory.
  • for each chapter use about 400 to 2000 Words and about 4 to 10 pictures (flexible rule, little more or less is still ok)
  • if you write more than 5 chapters, then only the first 10 chapters will be judged
  • the contest ends on 15th of November 2010
  • You can allways modify any chapter till the 01-11-2010, after that date no edits to older chapters are allowed.
  • the first price will be 60.000 Blue coins on Gamersgate, sponsored by me.
  • 2nd and 3rd place will recieve 30.000 and 20.000 Blue coins on Gamersgate, sponsored by me.

Not a rule, but its helpfull if you add a chapter-link list in the first posting of your participating AAR
so the readers have a easier time navigating your AAR. :)

Participants:

The final Overview Update!

CONTEST IS CLOSED FOR FURTHER SIGNUPS!

Participants taken out of the contest:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To late for contest signup, but wanted to participate, give them a read neverthless:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not in the contest, but worth to take a look at, because they feature the Divergences Mod:

UPDATE:
- Prize Money inchreased!
- upper word limit suggestion now 2000 words per chapter
- minimum chapters to take part is now reduced to 5 chapters
- at least 1 chapter a week, instead of 2 are necessary

- New additional Prizes from Paradox!
Paradox agreed to sponsor the top ten AAR's with a secret prize,
and promote the winning AAR to an Article seen on the Paradox Forum Frontpage!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 27-10-2010:

Okay, Ladies & Gentleman, the contest time is approaching the end and
its time to see where we are and how the contestor AAR´s are doing.

The good news is that most are doing great and i am proud to see such great AAR´s have been written for this contest,
THANK YOU Contestors for your imagination and your writings so far!

The bad news is that there is a situation where one failed to update in time and i didnt got any response, neither in the thread nor via private message.
Normally i would need to take this contestor out of the contest,
but i really dont want to throw anyone out, i want this to be a good experience for anyone, and throwing pepole out isnt what i want to do.

So i decided to give negative points for missing chapters/failing to update in time, instead of throwing pepole out.
This is also how this will be handled if anyone else is failing to update in time or has missing chapters.
This only applys till there are 5 chapters!

For every chapter update thats not arriving in time the specific AAR will get -20 points substracted from the total points in the end.

Missing chapters (from the 5 needed) at the end of the contest will incur also negative points for every missing chapter.

For every missing chapter (from the 5 needed) at the end of the contest the specific AAR will get -20 points substracted from the total points in the end.

Then, lets take a look at the end of the contest thats approaching:

As you are aware, the contest will end on the 15th November 2010.

The Judging will begin on the 1st November 2010 and will end hopefully on the 29nd November 2010 or sooner.

I will accept new contestors till the 7th November 2010, so if you want to sign up to the contest you can do so till this day, but you will have to post your 5 chapters needed till the 15th Nov. neverthless!

Chapters for the contest can be posted till the 15th November 2010. Chapters posted after this date will not count in the contest.

Please dont edit any of the chapters you posted before the 1st November 2010 after this date, because judging will be allready in process.
Chapters posted after the 1st November 2010 can be edited till 2 days after they have been posted initially, after that they shouldnt be edited any more like the older ones.
This only applys to the first 5 chapters.

If you need to edit anything in these chapters (fixing spelling errors, broken images, ect.) send me a pm, or post in this thread, so i am aware of it, and i will allow the edit if it dosent do substantial changes.

Unauthorized edits to the first 5 chapters after the 1st November 2010 will get -5 points substracted from the total score.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Judges:

I have 16 Judges that will be judging the AAR´s and give their points to determine a winner.

Dont announce that you are a judge in this thread or anywhere else in public!
This will automaticly exclude you from judging.

The The Judges Reference Posting! contains all necessary information for the Judges.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addendum:

AAR´s that have the 5 chapters that are necessary for the contest dont have to update once a week any more,
because they have allready reached the minimal ammount of updates, and its up to the writer if he decides he want to go on updating or not!

I hope this posting cleared all possible questions.
If you have any more questions, just ask them here. :)

CONTEST IS CLOSED NOW FOR FURTHER SIGNUPS!

Thanks to all that have signed up!

Last edited:
I use the M.I.P. anyway, so I might be doing this. Dunno, yet. I'm scared that the 1.2 patch will break the VRRP mod that I'm using in conjunction with it.

I hope the patch arrives soon, I also wait for it and want to see if i have to adapt anything on my mods to make them work with it again.

If the patch breaks my map mods, there will be a new working version soon, i promise :)

VRRP will most likely need to be adapted with all the new stuff that the patch will bring.

This sounds very intriguing, but I also think I'll wait for patch 1.2 before doing this. After all, it's 7.5 weeks before the end of the contest, so one should be able to post at least 15 chapters worth of material as per your rules :)

Yes, i intentionally left a bit of overhead in the end date
more or less just because of that patch.

But i have a good feeling that it will arrive in the next days,
seeing how active Johan is with posting patchnotes,
it might come any day now :D

Neverthless, you can allready sign up if you want to,
and just start posting when the patch has arrived,
no problem with that :)

I'm surprised about the lack of turn out on this, to be honest. I might write an AAR when 1.2 is out, but it won't be as fun if only one other person is participating.

A new challenger has appeared!

I would've posted earlier, but my internet has been - finicky, as of late. Fortunately, that is gone and past - plus, I have no interest in waiting until patch 1.2 to start, as 1.1 is eminently playable, and this contest gives me a wonderful excuse to crack my hand at aaring it up. :rofl: Although my entry may quickly become somewhat... genre-bending. My mind is a tad odd- I'll do my best to take some good pictures for it, however. Anything we should be looking for/testing in particular?

Also, I am fairly content gamewise (plus, do not know which other paradox games to get, hahaha!) so may opt out of the prize for someone who needs it more. Although - I would appreciate some thoughts on which paradox games to acquire next, because I am currently overdosing on Vicki, heh! Are there any others focusing on nation-building and economics to such an extent? Anyway, gonna get inspired - to all fellow competitors, good luck! Let us make brilliant aars and bask in the glory of a lovely story and bathed in enticing colors!

I'm surprised about the lack of turn out on this, to be honest. I might write an AAR when 1.2 is out, but it won't be as fun if only one other person is participating.

I hope that some more will show up as soon as patch 1.2 is out.
Also i have found some very good Judges, they need something to judge so sign up :)

A new challenger has appeared!
(...)

Welcome first contender!

I linked your AAR in the first post, please confirm that it is the right one.
You dont have to look for anything particular, just stick to the contest rules and do your best :)

If you really find any noteworthy bugs or anything in the map mods then please report it in their threads,
but i am fairly sure they are working fine, judging by so many downloads and no error reports.

Well you can use the prize for anything you can get on Gamersgate if you win it,
i would suggest Europa Universalis 3 if you want a suggestion, had lots of fun with it, and still do :)
(economically its much less detailed, but it has alittlebit deeper trade)

-----------------

Right, dont be shy pepole, sign up and write some AAR´s!

We need some competition here! :)

Well you can use the prize for anything you can get on Gamersgate if you win it,
i would suggest Europa Universalis 3 if you want a suggestion, had lots of fun with it, and still do :)
(economically its much less detailed, but it has alittlebit deeper trade)

-----------------

Right, dont be shy pepole, sign up and write some AAR´s!

We need some competition here! :)
Crusader Kings is neat, too, with the Deus Vult expansion. I don't think Gamersgate offers EU3: Complete, though. All in all, if you win, it might be best to wait until deals come up.

Crusader Kings is neat, too, with the Deus Vult expansion. I don't think Gamersgate offers EU3: Complete, though. All in all, if you win, it might be best to wait until deals come up.

Well... they have a complete, but its the "incomplete complete" version they released before the HttT expansion came out.

I would do this, but I can't get my V2 to work. Oh well :(

Whats not working Bob?

Hmn, decisions, decisions - they both look pretty intricate. EuIII looks ultra-polished, and with good mods to boot! But Crusader Kings + DV let's me play as a pagan or early muslim... Hrmn... Is it possible to play Gnostics/Cathars? Or is that just modeled as generic 'you are now a heretic, the pope spawns brigades in your capital' type events? Even if their economic engines are different, the level of detail, well - Paradox, why must you bewitch my heart so? :rofl:

So far, your maps have been working smoothly; like Modestus' retextured map, I notice a *huge* boost in speed to my old machine when using them, and the colors are really quite lovely. India and Europe especially are really eye-catching. :D And you've got the right aar, all right - and it'll have it's first chapter when I'm done! Assuming my new album's all up and ready. Also - Bob, if you're running XP, I had to manually register zlib1.dll for VicII to work. I have no idea if that's what's causing your problem, but it's always worth a look. Good luck!

Hmn, decisions, decisions - they both look pretty intricate. EuIII looks ultra-polished, and with good mods to boot! But Crusader Kings + DV let's me play as a pagan or early muslim... Hrmn... Is it possible to play Gnostics/Cathars? Or is that just modeled as generic 'you are now a heretic, the pope spawns brigades in your capital' type events? Even if their economic engines are different, the level of detail, well - Paradox, why must you bewitch my heart so? :rofl:

So far, your maps have been working smoothly; like Modestus' retextured map, I notice a *huge* boost in speed to my old machine when using them, and the colors are really quite lovely. India and Europe especially are really eye-catching. :D And you've got the right aar, all right - and it'll have it's first chapter when I'm done! Assuming my new album's all up and ready. Also - Bob, if you're running XP, I had to manually register zlib1.dll for VicII to work. I have no idea if that's what's causing your problem, but it's always worth a look. Good luck!
You can't play non-christians except through mods.

Thanks for the first chapter Communitarian!, was a nice read :)

Thanks for the advice guys. The problem was with the Wine source encoding when running V2 on a Mac (like I do). I got the problem solved on Sunday and have the game ready and am playing. May be doing an AAR soon, I will see.

Thanks for the advice guys. The problem was with the Wine source encoding when running V2 on a Mac (like I do). I got the problem solved on Sunday and have the game ready and am playing. May be doing an AAR soon, I will see.

Glad you got it solved, hope to see an AAR too, maybe even for this contest :)
Would be interesting to know if my mods work on a mac too, i have none so i couldnt try that out.

Glad you got it solved, hope to see an AAR too, maybe even for this contest :)
Would be interesting to know if my mods work on a mac too, i have none so i couldnt try that out.

VRRP works. Then again, I haven't tried any non text-based mods, but afaik the files are almost identical to windows files (I've looked at them both) I'll see later today.

Stickied the thread hoping the new forum look helps get it some eyes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.