• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So the siblings finally have a chance to plot ... if only they had trusted each other before.
Though they are not really trusting each other here, at least they are talking!

I do hope something good happens for Agnes. She is a better daughter than Foulques deserves at this point.

She is a good daughter. I imagine her as feeling a loyalty to him over her bastard daughter but also feeling the obligation after her mother's passing. I can't say what her ending will be - but she'll have good moments in the future.

Oh my, Geoffrey seems less naive than i thought, maybe it's because Foulques is just too proud in front of his son?

Geoffrey is naive in some areas, but not all. And he is learning. That said, Geoffrey's plan isn't his own. If you remember from 10 chapters ago:

Geoffrey nodded, a smirk forming on his face before sipping some wine. “I see. You hope my father will press your claims.”

Aines smiled. “He would do me more than I deserve if he did so. No, I think he will have no need to. My brother is not popular among those within those duchies.”

“He has poor regents?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes, and my father spoiled him,” Aines said. “So already he is whiny, selfish and gluttonous. Not becoming of a lord. In time, I have no doubt the nobility will seek another option.”

“And they would select you?” Geoffrey asked.

“I do not see why not,” Aines said. “If they seek to cast off Alberic, why would you not turn to the wife of one of the realm’s most powerful duke? I can provide them aid, should it be required.”

Geoffrey's "plan" is literally his late stepmother's. He stole it from her. I don't know that Aines could have pulled it off, given she's a woman in a Medieval world. But Geoffrey is not bound by that limitation (nor sense of shame, in this case).

Poor Alberic. Paranoid enough to fear for the kingdom, but not for his own titles. Geoffrey might turn out to pair his ambition with opportunism - unlike his father, who paired it with his martial strength.

That Alberic is Norman now doesn't help, given the Angevin history with their northern neighbours - and his vassals. Though it is better than Avar.

Alberic is... sort of fearful of his titles. There's a reason he talks so poorly of Geoffrey here. But he's also spoiled and used to getting his way, so he likely thinks somehow, these troublemakers will be put in their place. He also likely believes there's no way Foulques will turn down this union - I mean, he's a catch! - which should end Geoffrey's machinations.

Alberic's culture is a weird thing. The Norman one makes sense because of his mother, but Avar? I have no idea how he ended up with that.

In the biblical sense no doubt. He leaves people feeling uneasy having never said anything at all. I feel his vassals probably hate him.

Oh, so they do hate him. And the young man surprises me with his plan, in that it is a good one. I think Foulques might actually go for this, after a very loud argument, and might even find himself proud of his son for going after his own duchy rather than waiting for his dad to die. The Duke would also stand to gain much from this, as would the family as a whole. If they seize the entire west coast of France and control the two largest duchies...well, the King will both be unhappy and have his hands tied. He will need them then, and if he does secure their support he will stay king. Essentially, the family will be kingmakers of France for as long as they hold both duchies like that, if they succeed.

I like this plan. It's daring and really could work in CKII. Not sure about OTL but that's by the by. You have to write what happens after all.

So...Anjou, Aquitaine and possibly (as it has been for years) Brittany as well. Taking the strongest duchy in the kingdom and potentially tripling its size and prestige...well, that's pretty damn good. Especially as both father and son can benefit and keep it tied to one person through inheritance if they work together. Pride might cause them to rub and argue but I think they'll make it work. Looking forward to it.

I went back over this chapter about five times just trying to get Alberic to give off that feeling you give off here. Not mustache twirling evil, but generally smarmy and dislikable.

You have a good read on the situation in that there's plenty for Foulques to like about this plan. However, for a man who very much considers himself the master of his duchy, he also has reasons not to like it. And a large part of this plan involves Geoffrey using his father without his consent, as Agnes points out. You have already guessed how that will go over...

But those rewards you mentioned. They are very real, if they can make them come to pass. And very tempting.

interesting! snakes in the House d'Anjou! those little ungrateful bastards!

Oh yeah. I wonder who will feet more used - Foulques by his son or Alberic for the idea that his father helped the Angevins get where they are, only for this to happen! :D

An interesting situation where now both siblings have some chance for rule in Aquitaine. While at the end of the post, they seem to discuss joining minds on the subject, it may not stay that way. Agnes will have far more influence as Duchess, if Alberic can keep it. And Geoffrey's plan may be too bold by half.

She might. I think if she were Aines, who was ambitious, she would have and sold Geoffrey out immediately to gain favor. But Agnes is content - she likes where she is. She would not refuse to go, but I think she would certainly entertain reasons why she might stay. Of course, she may not find the reasons compelling enough.

A Geoffrey for Aquitaine faction! This could be great news for the dynasty but perhaps more problematic for Foulques in that it would create a powerful rival who stands to inherit his stuff.

I'd be quite torn with the two characters being my current character and my future one. Though I did once make my rival genius heir my spymaster with the intent of hastening the succession. Foulques can't change his succession law again and can't plot to murder Geoffrey, either so I guess he has to get behind him and the ambition that he did stoke afterall.

Also - that's Peronelle as Alberic's heir presumptive, isn't it? Ineresting.

The end game to this is the most powerful man in France and possibly one of the strongest in Western Europe. But Geoffrey is a long way from end game and his path there is anything but assured. Which can make it more problematic for Foulques because not only would he have an ambitious son as his heir, he likely will have to support Geoffrey in his endeavors - and it's clear here Geoffrey knows that.

Yes, Peronelle is the heir presumptive, which is interesting because Aines' son is, by game terms, legitimate, regardless of whether Geoffrey questions him here. But he was bypassed for Peronelle. I don't know why exactly he was skipped over, but I guess since Aines is dead, he loses out. (I believe he's 4th- all three of Alberic's remaining sisters, then little Adhemar). Also of note - it's Gavelkind! So while Alberic got Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony, the duchies would be split between Peronelle, Filipa and Patricia at the moment.

Geoffrey is proving to be very ambitious. I was thinking he was going to do something to his father. Now his sister is scheming. A very interesting family. Starting to remind me of Peter O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, and Anthony Hopkins.

While he's not scheming to get rid of his father, he's certainly planning on using him. In a way, this plan is grander. Steal Aquitaine through others, then eventually inherit Anjou. He takes little risk and potentially gains both duchies. The trade off is less control, of course.

And this is the right family for that, even if we are 100 years early... with the wrong Philippe. ;)

I really like how you write about the characters and not just how your realm is. In my opinion it makes this AAR much more interesting.

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it! It can be hard to balance what's going on in the realm vs. being lost in various plots of the characters (especially when Foulques is only tangentially involved). Part of the reason I liked how this chapter came out was because I thought it weaved the events of the realm and the events of these two duchies together well.

And narrative AARs are what I prefer as well. The game provides us with pretty good characters and situations already. It adds a nice base to pretty up.

My gameplay sense on vanilla is a bit foggy, would it not be possible for Folques to help the rebellion once its underway? Would be a calculated risk, but I think it might be within the realm of plausability according to his character.

Not 100 percent certain on whether you can help rebellions in all cases, but I certainly have aided some before. And Foulques will be playing a direct hand in influencing the success/failure of a few conflicts in the future with Angevin forces - but can't say which right now.

Unstated through all this, but overshadowing how it will undoubtedly unfold, is how King Philippe will respond to this if and when he finds out about Geoffrey's power play.

As I've pointed out before, with the delicate balancing act he's been playing, the King will undoubtedly see the concentration of power in the western coast in one dynasty as a grave threat to his own stability precisely for many of the reasons @TheButterflyComposer has mentioned. On top of that, for all his flaws Alberic is an avowed loyalist, while Foulques's loyalties can reasonably be called into question given his ambitions. If Philippe gets wind if what's going on -- whether Geoffrey actively colludes with his father or not -- he'd be a fool not to find some way to break this faction before it gathers too much momentum.

Philippe would be wise to do this, lest he end up in the situation his grandson in OTL ended up in with Henry II. But much like Louis VII, that may not be easy, for reasons that will become apparent in the next chapter. That said, you bring up good reasons why Foulques might be livid, rather than pleased, over his son's scheming. Geoffrey's plans do not just risk tarnishing his name, but that of the whole family.

I'm not sure Phillipe is in a position to do anything about it regardless. He's got enough trouble with his other direct vassals and there isn't much he can do about a rebellion in one of his sub-realms. If he tries to move on Geoffrey or Foulques after the fact there is little doubt that the other Dukes would not tolerate it.

Assuming the Geoffrey for Aquitane faction has the numbers it seems like a pretty solid plan to me.

*nods* I don't want to give much away due to spoilers, but you have a very good read on why Philippe is in a difficult spot in curtailing Geoffrey. Of course, there are other means to slow a potential Angevin domination of the western half of France.

A few pages in, and there is already heaps of solid characterisation and sharp dialogue, deserving of the praise this AAR has accumulated. I will most definitely finish reading the rest.

As an aside, I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw just whom had succeeded to the English throne in Chapter 20. ;)

Thanks! Glad to have you on board and I'm happy you are enjoying it! Take your time - it is a lot to read! :)

And yes, I did enjoy the English succession. And I am enjoying it once more where I am in my game currently. I've tried to keep it sort of close to the actual history in terms of meddling with the English succession, but you may be seeing it in the future.

The next update follows tomorrow. It may be my shortest chapter in some time, but it is a big one in terms of the story anyway. Hope you all enjoy it.

As always thanks for all the comments, feedback and questions! You guys always keep me thinking, and making sure I'm approaching the story from different angles - more than I would have if I were the only one reading it! :D

Reactions:
Chapter 69 - October 1091
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 69
October 1091 - Melun, France

“It has begun!”

The voice echoed in throughout the keep in Melun. It was enough for Foulques to put down his wine and walk to the door of his chamber. He suspected such an urgent call could only mean one thing. But he could not assume - he needed the truth confirmed.

Of course the answer lay in who was present to answer the call of this messenger. Mayor of Paris, Charles, Prince Hugues and Foulques were the councilors present - Boudewijn, Duke Hugues and Philipp of Champagne were not.

Not longer after, the messenger bent a knee before Queen Sybille, the remaining councilors at her side. The members of court gathered in the main hall, awaiting confirmation of the rumors.

“What news do you bring?” Sybille asked.

“Duke Boudewijn of Flanders raises his flag in rebellion,” the messenger said.

1091_Boudewijn_revolts.jpg

“What is his cause?” Sybille demanded.

“He declares King Philippe a tyrant,” the messenger said, “and states that he has forfeited the crown. In his place, the rebel Duke of Flanders declares himself the true heir to the realm.”

“Preposterous,” Sybille said. “The pretender is not even fifth in line! Who else joins him?”

“Duke Hugues of Burgundy, my lady,” the messenger said. “And Duke Philipp of Champagne.”

“Hugues, great-grandson to King Robert II, debases himself at the feet of a pretender,” Sybille spat. “So far he has fallen. And Philipp - I cannot tell if he merely heeds his mother’s every whim and desire or if he simply follows out of foolish ambition. In the end, it does not matter. He is a traitor all the same.”

Tying Philipp of Champagne to his mother's marriage to Hugues and making them both appear weaker as a result - the queen speaks her lines well, Foulques thought.

This was no accident. The rumblings had grown too strong that the rebellion was expected. As such, the queen was determined to put on a good show, to inspire the members of court while the king was away.

She looked to Foulques. “What say you, Duke Foulques? Do you stand with your king?”

And so, the show continues.

Foulques bent his knee. “I remain his most loyal servant, my queen.”

Sybille smiled. “Arise, Duke Foulques. The king has always known he could trust in you. But what of others? Have you word from the other dukes of the realm?”

Foulques nodded. “The others all stand with the king, my queen.”

That was no show. While Boudewijn had managed to secure the support of a powerful man in Philipp, he had not managed to gather the other important dukes.

Alberic’s interest in a union between himself and Agnes left him wishing to be whatever side Foulques was on. Foulques hesitated to accept - he did not fully trust the teen and suspected perhaps an ulterior motive, but it was something he was strongly considering.

But even if that was not an option, Foulques suspected Alberic was too concerned with his war with the Duke of Orleans to seize the province of Angouleme, to divert resources toward the rebellion - he did not care enough either way who was king over his own selfish desires.

Toulouse was more touch and go - but it appeared the Holy War for Valencia kept him loyal to the king. Rumblings also were he preferred a Frankish king to a Flemish one.

Gilles of Berry also refused to follow Boudewijn’s banner. Neither did the Duke of Mallorca - not a surprise since his position was a gift from Philippe. Orleans’ had been as well, so even if he was not preoccupied with his war with Alberic, he likely would have remained loyal.

There was one other Sybille turned to.

“Prince Hugues, brother to the king,” she said. “Do you remain loyal to blood?”

The prince bent his knee as well. “I do, my queen. These upstarts must be defeated and peace restored to the realm.”

Sybille smiled. Foulques understood the importance of the prince. He held little territory as just the Bishop of Bayeux, but symbolically, his decision to remain loyal further weakened the claim of Boudewijn. The House of Capet was unified in its fight against van Vlaanderen, Bourgogne and Champagne.

“My courtiers,” Sybille began, “We will do as the prince says. We will fight the rebels and stop them from destroying the prosperity my husband has brought to the realm. We will not allow these snakes to harm us while our king does God’s work in Iberia. We shall not bend knee to the Flemish usurper who thinks himself fit to rule over the Franks! We will emerge victorious!”

A small cheer went up from the courtiers before the queen stood up and left the hall. The councilors followed to her chambers, where her ladies were dismissed and the door closed behind them. As she glanced them over, the confidence she exuded before faded a bit, and the queen appeared exhausted, as if she had been through a strenuous exercise.

“What do we face?” she asked.

“My spies believe Boudewijn has 10,000 men,” Charles said. “The king a similar number.”

“The problem is the king is not in the realm,” Foulques added. “The bulk of our forces remain in Valencia.”

“Have you heard word on whether or not he will return to face his enemies?” the queen asked.

Foulques traded glances with Charles. They knew the answer, but the queen may not like it.

“The king’s war in Valencia goes well,” Foulques said. “He believes he can win the conflict there before turning his forces north to face Boudewijn.”

1091_Philippe_war_score.jpg

“So we are on our own?” Sybille asked.

“For now,” Foulques said. “But… we will make do, my queen.”

She sighed. “Thank you for that. Now, if that is all, there are preparations I must make.”

The three councilors bowed before her and then exited the room.

“We must alert the king and appraise him of the situation,” Foulques said.

“I will ride to him,” Charles said. “And return with his instructions.”

“I will see what kind of forces I can muster here,” Foulques said. “Though I do not hold much hope.”

“I will rally the clergy to our cause,” Hugues said. “It does help that Boudewijn attacks during a Holy War.”

“Agreed,” Foulques said. “Then we know what we must do. Let us get to it.”

The councilors went their separate paths and Foulques was left to ponder what lay before them. He did not know if victory were possible, especially if the king’s attention was diverted.

But he had made his decision - to remain with the devil he knew. There was no turning back now.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Toulouse was more touch and go - but it appeared the Holy War for Valencia kept him loyal to the king. Rumblings also were he preferred a Frankish king to a Flemish one.

To go completely out of game and talk about something the game never considers, Toulouse and Mallorca will stay loyal to a Frankish king pushing back against the Muslims over a Flemish king who doesn't care what happens to anything south of Aquitaine so long as he is fighting the Germans.

I liked the devil you know bit. Good writing because the king is the son of Satan...apparently. I think the war should go well if the king comes back soon and not too exhausted. Not many powerful or competent men defected...yet? Coz's game shows however that apparently civil war can splinter a realm very quickly.

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure no one can join a faction rebellion after it has fired any longer, so different rules in place as compared to Bold Prince. Foulques could join on Phillips's side if he wanted to really turn things in the King's favour, though.

He may soon find his attention focuses elsewhere though, as well all know but he does not :D

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure no one can join a faction rebellion after it has fired any longer, so different rules in place as compared to Bold Prince. Foulques could join on Phillips's side if he wanted to really turn things in the King's favour, though.

He may soon find his attention focuses elsewhere though, as well all know but he does not :D

It wouldn't look as spectacular anyway, given that base game graphics show each rebellion as a separate state and colour!

Reactions:
hmmmm... can Foulques use his own levies to help the King? how many troops he can muster?

Reactions:
Fairly certain you can join in on the King's side when there is a revolt. I've done it to prevent council power increasing in a Kingdom I was planning to usurp. Even if you don't officially join the revolter tag's troops will be hostile towards you, I believe.

When I tried to join a faction war that had already fired once I wasn't able to. I could only join the King's side. I'm not even sure you can call in allies for a faction war. So I think the outcome of this war will be whatever Foulques (or Jabber) wants it to be.

Reactions:
So Foulques remains loyal - that, perhaps, would be a step too far, for his loyalty has thus far been an almost defining characteristic, even though he has had plenty of disagreements with the Crown.

Reactions:
It was only a matter of time. A shame in that the King is winning his Holy War, but knowing the AI, he will likely be back soon. In the meantime, it looks like Foulques is the vanguard since everyone else also seems preoccupied. Does Anjou have numbers capable of raising 10,000? In the end, it is the King's war and not Anjou's, but if Flanders comes for you...well, you do what you must.

Reactions:
To go completely out of game and talk about something the game never considers, Toulouse and Mallorca will stay loyal to a Frankish king pushing back against the Muslims over a Flemish king who doesn't care what happens to anything south of Aquitaine so long as he is fighting the Germans.

I liked the devil you know bit. Good writing because the king is the son of Satan...apparently. I think the war should go well if the king comes back soon and not too exhausted. Not many powerful or competent men defected...yet? Coz's game shows however that apparently civil war can splinter a realm very quickly.

Funny you should mention that reasoning from the Duke of Toulouse! It won't be a major point, but keep an eye on him for a small tidbit regarding that in the future.

The king's handling of the wars will be a big decision that you'll see in follow up chapters. The right call strategically may not be the easiest to make when it comes to personal cost.

More on joining rebellion bit in the next response.

I believe this is true. You could join on the king's side, if you are loyal from the beginning. I think it may be possible to switch if you are called in via a marriage alliance (I think I've pulled that trick off in previous games, but am not 100 percent sure).

However, other rebellions can certainly spring up. I've seen it happen. ;)

It wouldn't look as spectacular anyway, given that base game graphics show each rebellion as a separate state and colour!

Sad but true. Coz's game is so colorful. My game just has the darkened rebel colors. Not nearly as aesthetically pleasing. :oops:

hmmmm... can Foulques use his own levies to help the King? how many troops he can muster?

Foulques can directly aid the king. But would he want to at the moment? He can raise a large levy that rivals any duke in the realm. But his levy can't match Boudewijn, Philipp and Hugues combined.

That said, there may be a time in the future where Foulques does decide there's sufficient reasoning for committing his full levies to squashing a rebellion.

Fairly certain you can join in on the King's side when there is a revolt. I've done it to prevent council power increasing in a Kingdom I was planning to usurp. Even if you don't officially join the revolter tag's troops will be hostile towards you, I believe.

When I tried to join a faction war that had already fired once I wasn't able to. I could only join the King's side. I'm not even sure you can call in allies for a faction war. So I think the outcome of this war will be whatever Foulques (or Jabber) wants it to be.

Yes, you can join your king in any war you wish. There's an option to even help in the Holy War in Valencia. Since you're always automatically hostile to the king's enemies, the advantage to this is it helps with war score. This was NOT done when Foulques helped Philippe with the English so he actually saw no war score benefit, though it did break the English on the continent for a few years.

For the most part, it does give the player a lot of influence in those types of wars so on a personal level, I try not to abuse it. With that said, it isn't absolute - which you'll see in the future. (When, can't say of course)

So Foulques remains loyal - that, perhaps, would be a step too far, for his loyalty has thus far been an almost defining characteristic, even though he has had plenty of disagreements with the Crown.

"Loyal" when compared to others. In the end, Philippe convinced him the status quo was better than upheaval. I can't say he's wrong.

It was only a matter of time. A shame in that the King is winning his Holy War, but knowing the AI, he will likely be back soon. In the meantime, it looks like Foulques is the vanguard since everyone else also seems preoccupied. Does Anjou have numbers capable of raising 10,000? In the end, it is the King's war and not Anjou's, but if Flanders comes for you...well, you do what you must.

The AI surprised me with both competency and incompetency during this revolt. You'll see what i mean when we get there.

No, Foulques can raise just over 6K... so not enough to match the rebel forces unless he dipped into mercenaries. But I don't know that Foulques is that loyal. :)

(In truth, it's one of those things where if I could extort a promise from the king in game - I help you if you transfer vassalage of Maine to me, I would absolutely have done. But since I can't, we're going to wait and see how it plays out, at least to start.)

So, good news and some bad news. The bad news first - the computer I have been playing CK2 on went through a meltdown that I'm trying to restore, but likely ends with every thing on it being erased. The good news? I backed up all but my latest save file, and was able to successfully load it up on a laptop, so it looks like the game can continue (even if the events of a single year of gameplay look to have been sadly been wiped out). I haven't actually played on the laptop yet - just installed the game and loaded up the saves to see if they worked - so hopefully it runs well enough and I don't have any crashing issues. (The specs seem fine even if not equal to my desktop)

Long story short - looks like crisis has been averted with minimum loss. If things do take a poor turn, this AAR would likely end with Foulques' death, since I have played through that point (and a little beyond) but I'm hoping we can continue past that point.

The next update is in the works and hopefully will be ready tomorrow. Depends on if I get the transitions/linking certain events the way I want them.

As always, thanks for all the comments and questions. Your interest is one of the reasons I have done my best to make sure this AAR survived my computer issues. :D

Reactions:
I caught up (2 weeks late due to vacation).
And I arrive in the middle of a rebellion. Interesting time for a reader. :)

I hope you can continue this AAR even after the loss of your computer. You wrote a great story so far, it would be sad to see this stopped because of technical issues.

Reactions:
crossing fingers that things continue ok, but you know, if you do need to end with Foulques' death it will still be one fine AAR.

Reactions:
So Foulques remains loyal. Can he really do anything to save the realm on his own? For here it does not look likely. It seems without the king becoming directly involved it would appear that this is going be along rebellion or Foulques will be explaining himself to a new king.

Reactions:
Hmmmm certainly Foulque's loyalty is in keeping with the game but, as you say, what a pity you can't extort the king for your loyalty (they really should fix that).

No point in raising Mercs-as you say he ain't that loyal lol. He could however raise all his levy and try to take out or stall the rebels who I'm presuming haven't yet merged their forces and maybe won't. The AI normally plays these rebellions quite realistically: prideful lords intent on their own glory does not necessarily equal a unified force.

Loved the plotting by Geoffrey in the chapter before too-clearly the boy has ambition. Can't wait to see how this all pans out

Reactions:
The nicknames are certainly helping Boudewijn's cause here - but little more does. Foulques stays true to one part of his history at least, loyalty to Philippe - for changing reasons.
Good luck with your computer issues.

Reactions:
I caught up (2 weeks late due to vacation).
And I arrive in the middle of a rebellion. Interesting time for a reader. :)

I hope you can continue this AAR even after the loss of your computer. You wrote a great story so far, it would be sad to see this stopped because of technical issues.

Yep. The realm is in a state of upheaval. And it will not be a quick resolution so if you enjoy kingships hanging in the balance, you should enjoy the next little while.

crossing fingers that things continue ok, but you know, if you do need to end with Foulques' death it will still be one fine AAR.

Thanks! Things are looking better on that front - I'll explain below.

So Foulques remains loyal. Can he really do anything to save the realm on his own? For here it does not look likely. It seems without the king becoming directly involved it would appear that this is going be along rebellion or Foulques will be explaining himself to a new king.

This is the type of rebellion where, if I micromanaged troops and only kept them near the king, that could tip the balance. But it would take a lot of work and there's much less incentive to do that when the bulk of the realm's forces are in Iberia. You are right in that this is going to be a long period of upheaval in the realm. There will be twists and turns a long the way.

Hmmmm certainly Foulque's loyalty is in keeping with the game but, as you say, what a pity you can't extort the king for your loyalty (they really should fix that).

No point in raising Mercs-as you say he ain't that loyal lol. He could however raise all his levy and try to take out or stall the rebels who I'm presuming haven't yet merged their forces and maybe won't. The AI normally plays these rebellions quite realistically: prideful lords intent on their own glory does not necessarily equal a unified force.

Loved the plotting by Geoffrey in the chapter before too-clearly the boy has ambition. Can't wait to see how this all pans out

If Foulques could have gotten Maine for the deal, Philippe would have had his rebellion crushed within two years. Foulques has a good amount of money. :D

The AI did tend to keep their armies somewhat apart, put I think I had EUIV nightmares of thinking I've got an army isolated, only to see the entire army convene on my position. So I was hesitant to do it in this conflict.

Geoffrey is going to make things complicated, as you'll see in the next chapter.

To quote a famous phrase, "the die is cast." No turning back now for either Foulques or Boudewijn and his cohorts.

They have made their bed. Certain characters have burned bridges and even a white peace would not repair them. If that's possible at this point...

The nicknames are certainly helping Boudewijn's cause here - but little more does. Foulques stays true to one part of his history at least, loyalty to Philippe - for changing reasons.
Good luck with your computer issues.

Boudewijn certainly seemed to have the support of the AI when it came to nicknames!:) If he were French, I think he would have had more support. The Flemish thing did hurt him. It did with me - I've had games where his dynasty ended up on the throne and it drives me nuts to have every king demand my sons to make them proper Dutch Dukes. Reason enough to support anybody but him.

Good news on the computer issue front. Though my desktop is looking grim at the moment, I tried out playing a few years of CK2 on the laptop and it worked, seemingly without issue. So for now, at least, it looks like we can keep going as long as the Angevins do.

The next chapter is coming up in a short time. Hopefully you all enjoy.

Thanks for the comments, feedback and support on the computer issues!

Reactions:
Chapter 70 - December 1091
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 70
December 1091 - Melun, France

“Are you all right, father?”

Foulques looked toward Agnes, whose arched brow indicated some concern. Her eyes seemed to scan the chamber, looking for some confirmation from others.

None of the others responded - Godfrey, Helie, Haldora and Etiennette all remained silent. Foulques was uncertain if it was because they did not see anything or if they were fearful to question his health.

“I am fine, daughter,” Foulques said. “It is of no concern.”

That was a lie. It was of great concern - even if he had doubts over what he had been told.

Over a month before, Foulques had developed a rash around his groin. He had heard perhaps it was something relating to the lover’s pox, and cursed his decision to bed that serving wench repeatedly in the summer.

Deciding to have someone look at it, he went to the king’s physician Jaspart, who remained in Melun despite his king’s journey south.

He did not know if he could trust the man - he would have preferred to see Adalmode - but he did not find the time to return to Anjou with now two wars raging. And his concerns were doubled when the physician claimed that Foulques’ humours were out of balance due to a cancer.

1091_Jaspert_thinks_cancer.jpg

It was as if he had been thrown from his horse. The disease which had taken both his wives had now come for him? Reminders of Aines warnings danced in his head that evening as he had a sleepless night.

But now, he had convinced himself Jaspert was mistaken. His symptoms were not at all like either Beatritz’s or Aines. It was just a rash - and a rash could be anything. It was near impossible to tell from that, he reasoned.

However, now he felt feverish. That had come on a few days before, as he found himself chilled on occasion, and sweating on others. Currently, he felt the latter, and as well as being flush.

A cold footbath given by Jaspert had alleviated the symptoms somewhat, but considering he had been the picture of health for much of his life, it was all worrying.

1091_Fever_footbath.jpg

But he would not let that on to his daughter, who had come to visit with Etiennette, Amaury and a small group of knights as guards. There was no need to trouble her - which he would have done had he told her to bring Adalmode as well.

“How goes the war?” Armaury asked him.

“Which?” Foulques asked.

Amaury smirked. “The war in Valencia.”

“He has made remarkable progress,” Foulques said. “I did not think him capable of winning the conflict before suffering greatly here, but perhaps I underestimated him.”

There was truth in that. Philippe had done well thus far, and had yet to suffer a defeat in the field. But now he was faced with the slow work of sieges. The war seemed to hinge him expediting that as quickly as possible- especially as rumors that other Moslem rulers in Iberia and North Africa were rallying in support of the Amirid Emirate.

“And what of the war here?” Agnes asked.

“The armies of the three dukes gather, but have not set on a common task yet,” Foulques said.

“There are rumors,” Helie began, “That they will come here, to Melun, first.”

Foulques could see the worry on the face of his daughter, and her friend. “Rumors are just that. We do not know yet what they plan.”

“And should they plan to march on Melun, father?” Agnes asked.

Foulques did not have a good answer. The king would not be able to reach them in time. He and spymaster Charles had begun to try to convince the queen to withdraw toward another keep, but she would not hear of it.

“We plan for many things, daughter,” Foulques said. “I would not have time to explain them all.”

“I am certain your father will handle it, my lady,” Etiennette said. “The king entrusts him for a reason.”

“Hear, hear!” Agnes said as she raised her goblet.

Everyone followed Agnes’ lead. Foulques’ eyes drifted toward Haldora - who was slow to do so, likely because she did not fully understand what Agnes had said.

Still, Foulques was not enthralled with his new wife. Their nights together had not grown any more enjoyable to him - she still appeared uninterested. He had learned from Helie that Haldora was rather prude and did not enjoy being with her husband… or anyone for that matter. She did so because it was her wifely duty, but that was as far as it went.

Such things were troublesome - Foulques had heard before that in order for a child to be conceived, the woman must enjoy herself. If Haldora was incapable of doing so - perhaps she would never have children? That might explain why she still had not become pregnant, despite their time together.

Of course, it could also have been Foulques being with her much less - first enjoying himself with that serving wench and then not feeling up to being with her over the last month with his illness.

He knew he probably should once more, but his eyes drifted toward Etiennette. The pudgy young woman was not the prettiest thing, and she had already birthed a bastard by Duke Gilles.

But she seemed interested in him. She blushed when he greeted them upon their arrival, hung on his every word as he spoke and appeared the opposite of Haldora in that she was warm and inviting.

He might have to see how inviting later.

However, he was resolved to discussing a matter with his daughter - Alberic’s marriage proposal.

Despite his concerns over being used, Foulques had grown a bit less worried over the last month. Perhaps he was fearful that his affliction was serious and he wished to make sure his affairs were in order.

Or perhaps it was this rebellion. Should Philippe lose it, Foulques wished to insure he had support should Boudewijn and his allies come for him.

Alberic commanded a powerful levy. It was not his father’s size, and Foulques doubt he possessed the same tactical and martial nous. But combined, it would take the entire might of the realm to bring them to their knees.

If the trade off was crushing the weak Duke of Orleans, so be it.

However, he did know little of the teen, beside his brief encounters with him and what Aines had mentioned to him prior to her passing.

The his popularity with his vassals, or lack thereof, was concerning. Charles had even mentioned talk to rebellion but had been so focused on ferreting out potential plots against the king, he could not investigate it further.

But Agnes had talked to the teen prior to his visit to Melun a few months before. Perhaps she had some insight into him.

Alberic had made it seem Agnes was happy with the prospect of becoming duchess, but he would prefer to hear it from her mouth, rather than his.

So after supper Foulques and Agnes walked together in the courtyard and he did not wait long to broach the subject.

“You met the Alberic, the Duke of Aquitaine, when he visited Anjou a few months ago,” he said. “What did you make of him?”

“I know little of him,” Agnes said. “I hear he is not well-liked. When I met him in Anjou, he seemed of ill-temper. But that is it.”

“He told me afterward he discussed marriage with you,” Foulques said. “And that you seemed receptive.”

“I was being polite father,” Agnes said. “I would not fathom making such a decision. It is yours to make.”

Foulques chuckled. “And am I to believe you have no opinion on the matter?”

“I have an opinion,” Agnes said. “But it is of no importance.”

“It is when I ask for it,” Foulques said. “And I do.”

“I think him an angry oaf,” Agnes said. “I bothers me that so many dislike him in his own duchies. And I think he seeks to use you. His armies are of decent strength, and you may be of use to you as well, but I think he desires to have you in his war for Angouleme.”

“A small price if he may help us,” Foulques said.

“True, but I wonder if he will,” Agnes said. “A man so disliked at home may not have a home much longer. I know my cousin is young, and perhaps he will mature… but…”

Foulques nodded. It seemed confirmation of what he had heard of the teen.

“And what of you?” Foulques began. “You would be the duchess of Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony. It is even more than your mother could have hoped. Does that not appeal to you.”

Agnes’ eyes drifted from him. She did not respond as first.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“No, father,” Agnes replied. “It would be wonderful. Mother would be proud.”

“You do not seem happy,” Foulques said.

“I am conflicted,” Agnes said. “There are reasons for me to stay. And reasons for me to go. I wish to help you here - you and Geoffrey. And then there is Beatrice. I do not know if Alberic will treat her right. But yes, it would be wonderful to be the duchess.”

Foulques kissed her forehead. “We will manage fine without you. Your help has been important but this day has been long coming.”

Agnes nodded. “What of my daughter?”

“If you believe she will be better in Anjou, then that is where she shall remain,” Foulques said. “I made a promise to your mother and I will not abandon it. She will be treated as any legitimate child of yours, even if she is not in the eyes of the law.”

Agnes eyes began to water and tears soon flowed down her cheeks. She hugged her father tightly.

“Then it will be done?” she asked.

“I think so,” Foulques said. “I will… see what the king’s spymaster says on the boy, but I suspect you will soon make your way to Aquitaine.”

Agnes squeezed him again. And Foulques felt a strange pang of fear - something he could only remember feeling a few times before - when he lost his wives, and long ago, when he feared he would lose his daughter just before her birth.

That was so long ago - she was a woman grown now. A beautiful, wise woman he was about to send away forever. By his own choice, unlike when he lost Beatritz and Aines.

In some ways, that just made it harder to accept.
…..

The knock on the door aroused Foulques from his slumber.

It took him a moment to recall where he was, but the presence of Etiennette’s soft body pressed against his tightly did a fine job of reminding him.

It had been after night had fallen. There was a knock on the door to his chambers, and she had been there, sent by Agnes to pass along a message. It wasn’t anything of importance, Foulques had already forgotten it, and fairly clear to him that Etiennette’s reason for being there was him and him alone.

So he invited her to stay. They drank wine, he asked of her family, spoke well of her brother, expressing hope he might be a good influence on Geoffrey. And then he invited her to his bed, where she happily accepted.

She certainly was more eager than Haldora had been. That was a welcome change, even if Etiennette was neither Beatritz nor Aines. She simply did not have the fire or spine they did.

But they are gone, Foulques reminded himself. So short of passion, he might just settle for devotion.

1091_romanced_Etiennette.jpg

It took him a moment to free himself from her grasp and then moved to slip on a shirt and trousers. He felt flush as he moved quickly - perhaps he did too much too soon, after an exhausting evening with his new lover.

Still he made it to the door to see the spymaster Charles standing there. Foulques eyes widened.

“Apologies for the disturbance, Duke Foulques,” Charles said. “But I have news you may wish to hear.”

“Has something happened to the king?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Charles said. “But my news does come from the south.”

Foulques cocked an eyebrow. What could be so urgent that Charles was disturbing him?

“The counts of Aquitaine have raised their banners in rebellion against Duke Alberic,” Charles said. “They follow the leadership of Alias of Perigord.”

Foulques frowned and shook his head. Perhaps Alberic did truly desire aid above all else.

“That is why he wishes my daughter’s hand,” he said.

“Perhaps, my lord,” Charles said. “But there is something else.”

“What else?”

“Alias flies his banner in support of your son, Geoffrey, as the rightful Duke of Aquitaine.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
All at once all hell breaks lose and Foulques beds this young gal? I don't blame Etienette. She has been seduced before. But Foulques? Sir...you should know better. I guess he cannot help himself. It matters not as things just got more real in the realm. Is your France going to get as bad and broken as mine? :eek:

Reactions:
Go for it! Go for it! Go for it!

This is the time to be making your son as powerful as possible, especially as the duke thinks he's dying. Father-son feuds don't really matter if you don't think you are going to live to regret it. The king is away and the civil war for the moment hasn't shown up. Use that time to cement your family as the lords of western France. This has all the possibilities of going horribly wrong but come on, this is something we would all leap on if we were playing the game itself. Sometimes, it's fun to be cheesy.

Reactions: