• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
so... he has the Pox... if he dies now... all of his efforts could go wasted... for Geoffrey would push his wife's reclaim over the Duchies of the old Duke Guilhelm... and in doing so, would strip his sister of being a Duchess... and his nephews-to-be from their inheritance

• 1Like
Reactions:
Love these, it's great to see Geoffrey's insolence as he becomes more confident, and Foulques realizing that Geoffrey might be his only lasting legacy. It'll be interesting to see how they interact after this

I promise things are only going to get more complicated from here on out for the two of them. Aquitaine isn't the only bump in the road in the near future.

It seens the ball has fallen into the valley.

*can't say whether this is the valley or if the ball is still falling*

It has been coming apart ever since Beatriz died, perhaps even a little before, but Foulques - like all folk - can be remarkably blind when they don't want to see.

In many respects this revelation is entirely deserved, and in large part self-inclicted, but even so I cannot help but feel some sympathy for Foulques on his sickbed.

I definitely looked at Beatritz's death as where it all went south. The seeds were there before hand, but there was something stabilizing about her - they made a good team. Aines may have made for a different dynamic - I don't know if it would have been successful, but I really did want to see. But he's lost now. Agnes tries, but she's his daughter, not his wife. Their relationship is too unequal for her to wield the proper amount of influence to aid him - even here, he dismisses her because he can, she's his daughter.

I'm glad I was able to create that mixed feeling! It's how I felt as well. Foulques deserved what he got, but I still felt bad that he got it.

Yikes! As the old saying goes, "if you play with fire you are going to get burnt." Foulques is facing his own mortality, the fact he no longer is in control, the fact he may lose his sanity at some point, Geoffrey is going to be his only son and heir and his legacy, and at least 3 wars. So when does the stress trait or dunkard trait pop up? Could be one heck of a downward ride.

All of those things you mention can lead to different responses. Some turn to drink. Others may take more desperate measures... you can see in the next update which Foulques goes for.

It is rather fitting that both the insolence of his son and the deterioration of his body are tragedies of Foulques's own making. He has made his bed, and now he must lie in it.

(The interesting question, of course, is who he caught the dreaded pox from in the first place...)

Of course, like @stnylan, even while Foulques as he is now fully deserves seeing his chickens come home to roost, I feel a little twinge of sympathy for the man he once was.

I was curious who he caught it from as well! First I thought perhaps Etiennette, but she didn't have it. Neither did Haldora. So... we'll just say the serving wench did it.:D

But yes, this is the price of Foulques seeking to fulfill his every whim and desire. He was fortunate the effects were limited early in his life. But then I also wonder, was it Beatritz? If Beatritz did not die, he does not murder Adhemar. He likely handles his son differently as she moderates things. And maybe he does not grow so frustrated as to bed a serving wench. And he may have avoided the pox, at least, if Aines had not died.

It seems the Reaper is scheduling another trip to Anjou once more. My, how the mighty have fallen, Foulques has it bad, despite the fact that he had managed to raise his family to greatness, it might end up tumbling back down to darkness once he's gone.

That is a concern and a fear. Though I do not know if Foulques dying would be worse than him becoming a lunatic. Nobody wants a horse as a chancellor! Foulques living with this illness might be worse for his family than him dying from it.

You've really got a protagonist worthy of a John Updike novel... This part, perhaps, titled 'Foulques is Frayed'. Just like Updike, you're creating a character one can both despise and root for, with a combination of callous narcissism and hopeless sentimentality tough to capture in fiction. There may be other characters in this forum more enjoyable to read, but nobody competes with Foulques on a literary level (except WhiteHawk's Leper King, of course, but he has the advantage of having finished his AAR).

High praise indeed! Thank you. I'm glad you have enjoyed Foulques! He's been fun to write for, and I try to keep him balanced in that he is repulsive at times, but I don't want him so repulsive that you hate him all the time. More... frustrated at his behavior, if that makes sense?

And so yet another confirmation comes: Foulques is becoming a second Guilhem. Marshal, largest levy in the realm, great pox, just to name the most obvious parts.

The old Breton's curse has taken root in Angers in the last years, it seems.

I believe it was you who predicted this many chapters ago? At the time I wanted to tell you that you had pretty much nailed everything that would happen to Foulques, but obviously, could not. So I will tell you now, ace job at that prediction. You pretty much nailed it spot on.

Of course, Foulques, having seen what happened to Guilhem, may take different steps than he did.

so... he has the Pox... if he dies now... all of his efforts could go wasted... for Geoffrey would push his wife's reclaim over the Duchies of the old Duke Guilhelm... and in doing so, would strip his sister of being a Duchess... and his nephews-to-be from their inheritance

Make no mistake - Geoffrey's aim is Aquitaine and Poitou (though the rebellion is now for Aquitaine). If given a choice, Foulques would prefer his son take Aquitaine than his daughter be duchess, but he may not see it as an all or nothing proposition, as you'll see in the next chapter.

The next chapter comes shortly. Figuring out how to portray the upcoming event took a little bit of time, but I think I've got it figured out now. You'll see how it plays out in the next two chapters, and hopefully, you all enjoy.

Thanks as always for the comments, questions and feedback. Like I told @alscon sometimes you guys nail predictions and I can't say anything. Just know that if you guessed something right and I don't mention it when it happens in story, I probably clapped for you when I saw the original prediction! :)

Reactions:
Chapter 72 - February 1092
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 72
February 1092 - Melun, France

“Yes, I see it now.”

Foulques cocked a brow.

“Now?” he asked. “After I tell you what it is?”

Jaspert frowned. “The pox can be hard to spot in its early stages.”

“Obviously.”

Foulques could just barely restrain his frustration. He did not even know why he was allowing Jaspert to examine him now. Adalmode had done as she always did - ferret out the truth and deliver her prognosis, however grim it may be. She may not be bearer of good news, but she was never wrong, he thought to himself.

“I sensed your humors were badly out of balance,” Jaspert said. “I knew it was serious. And now we know what causes it. We move in the right direction.”

We move?” Foulques asked. “That is all we can move. It is incurable.”

Jaspert gave Foulques a look of curiosity. “Who tells you that?”

1092_Jaspert.jpg

“Adalmode.”

A chuckle escaped the physician’s lips, while he shook his head. “She would say such things.”

“Do you know her?” Foulques asked. “That you may make such a statement?”

“I know her yes,” Jaspert said. “Not personally, but she is a woman - one who thinks herself capable of doing a man’s work. I have met women like her in my journeys over the years. Well-meaning perhaps, but deluded.”

Foulques narrowed his gaze. “She has never failed my family in 20 years. Delivered both my children safely. Did much for my wife…”

“Your wives, Duke Foulques, are dead,” Jaspert said. “Perhaps if she had taken more aggressive action, they may not be, especially the Lady Aines, may she rest in peace.”

“There was no further action to be taken,” Foulques said. “They could not be saved,”

“So she says,” Jaspert replied. “I would expect nothing less. I do not blame her. It is her nature - all women’s nature. They cannot escape their sex.”

Foulques rolled his eyes. “Is there a point to this, or do you demean the woman for entertainment?”

“This pox is a foul thing,” Jaspert said. “I am sure you know that, given the story of your predecessor Guilhem of Aquitaine and your close relationship with his family. I would no sooner leave you to its claws than I would my brother.”

Foulques raised an eyebrow. “As she said, it is incurable.”

“So she says,” Jaspert said. “I believe otherwise.”

“You… believe,” Foulques said. “I do not need belief. I need fact.”

“Then listen well Duke Foulques,” Jasper said. “The nun is wrong. It can be cured. And if you give me your trust, you will avoid the same fate as Duke Guilhem - madness setting in as your body withers.”

Foulques was silent. He had spent much of the past few weeks coming to grips with the gravity of his situation and aiming to avoid losing all hope. It was a struggle, for sure.

And now he was offered a reprieve?

No, he did not fully trust Jaspert. Adalmode had told him the truth… she could not cure him.

But what if he’s right, Foulques wondered. What if she is afraid because she is a woman?

He remembered she said there were treatments some tried, but none had survived. Maybe she was not fully informed?

“Have you… cured someone of the pox before?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Jaspert said. “Duke Guilhem was already far gone before I arrived at court. But I have read on the illness. I think it can be done - and a bold man like yourself, I would imagine, would gladly accept the risk, given the circumstances.”

Foulques was not so sure - Adalmode he would have. But Jaspert…

A knock on the door broke his train of thought. It was chancellor Godfrey.

“My lord, my apologies,” Godfrey said. “But Alberic of Aquitaine is here to see you.”

Foulques rolled his eyes. More problems.

“I will think on your offer,” Foulques told Jaspert. “But for now, I must attend to this matter.”

“Of course, Duke Foulques,” Jaspert said. “But do dawdle on your decision. Every moment you wait is one where you grow sicker.”

A chill ran down Foulques spine as he left the chamber.

…..

“This is an outrage!”

Foulques stared down the teenager before him. That Alberic would say that to him was hardly a surprise. If their situations were reversed, Foulques imagined he would be furious as well.

So the Duke of Anjou didn’t meet Alberic’s fury with his own. Instead he looked up at the Duke of Aquitaine and simply said: “I understand.”

“And what do you plan to do about it?” Alberic demanded.

“What would you have me do?” Foulques asked.

“Demand Geoffrey renounce this rebellion,” Alberic said.

“I will not force my son to do that,” Foulques said. “And that will not solve your situation. Your lords dislike you enough to rebel. Geoffrey is an excuse - it is why I do not like he has involved himself. Once they have done their bloody business, will they tire of him as well?”

“Then aid me in crushing the rebellion,” Alberic said.

“I will not fight against my son’s forces either,” Foulques said.

“You stand for insurrection!” Alberic said.

“I stand for my family,” Foulques said. “Would you expect your father to turn on you? I know he would not.”

Alberic narrowed his gaze. “You realize I cannot wed your daughter under these circumstances. They will think me a pawn of your house if I marry the sister of the man who looks to take my duchy, and receive no aid in return.”

Foulques nodded. “Of course. I would not expect anything else from you. We can revisit this after this business is concluded.”

Alberic’s eyes widened. “You think I would marry your daughter after your son usurps Aquitaine?”

“No,” Foulques said. “But he may not. In which case, it could be seen as a way to bring peace to our families and a stronger union.”

Those words were not Foulques’, but he doubted Alberic would realize. It was the plan of Godfrey, who suggested the compromise as a means for placating the teen for now, while also keeping the possibility of an alliance open for the future.

“You must be mad,” Alberic said. “You would stand by and watch me lose my duchy to your son and then, should I beat back these rebels, enjoy my aid anyway, after the hard work is done?”

Foulques eyed the teen. “The only madness here, is you aiming to push me toward action. If you would rather me intervene, directly, I can. But it may not be in the way you hope.”

“So you would raise your levies against me?” Alberic sneered.

“If you desire it,” Foulques said. “If you do not desire it, then accept that I will not aid the rebels and be content you stand a chance at keeping your lands whole if you simply prove yourself better than they.”

Red with anger, Alberic likely wanted to hit Foulques. The duke was somewhat grateful he didn’t - in his weakened state he might not be able to fight the younger man off.

“Perhaps I see now the foolish leadership which guides the realm,” Alberic said. “Perhaps Boudewijn is a better option.”

“If you truly believe that,” Foulques said. “Then I cannot stop you. But have you considered your position if you were to join the rebellion against your king? You would be fighting on three fronts - your war against Orleans, your war against your rebels, and the king’s forces. And the king is closest to your duchies. When he makes north, he will deal with your lands, and levies first. And then there’s the matter of the fact the king may wish Geoffrey to have all your lands, if he were to prove loyal over you.”

“Is that a threat?” Alberic asked.

“No,” Foulques said. “I lay out what may happen if you go down this road. You stand the chance of losing everything by joining the rebellion. You may lose Aquitaine if you do not. It is up to you.”

“And I may keep everything if I…”

“You may keep everything if you simply focus on the rebellious counts before you,” Foulques said. “If I were against you, boy, I would have encouraged you to join Boudewijn. Then I would have raised my levy and crushed your divided forces, allowing the rebels free reign, Geoffrey to become duke and the king would have applauded me for doing so. Instead, I give you advice on how you might best survive this turbulent time.”

“And I’m to be grateful for that?” Alberic demanded.

“It is more than the one who could help you, your brother-by-law, Gilles of Berry, has offered,” Foulques said.

Alberic again seethed. But he did not respond. The teen may have had a right to be angry over what had befallen him and his lands. But his position was one of weakness. He had few friends, no allies. If he were wise, he would realize his situation and accept what Foulques offered.

If he weren’t, then Foulques would not hesitate to pick the carcass clean when the time came.

“I will not forget this Duke Foulques,” Alberic swore. “Mark my words.”

Foulques' eyes met Alberic's. He refused to release the teen from his gaze.

“Trust me, I will remember them well," Foulques said.

Alberic’s rage broke for an instant - he appeared wide-eyed and hesitant. But in a flash it was gone, and so was he, as he stormed from the chamber in a huff. As he did, Godfrey slipped in behind.

“How did he respond?” Godfrey asked.

“Poorly,” Foulques said. “But I think your strategy may work.”

“He is unpopular, but not delusional,” Godfrey said. “He knows he has few friends. You stand at his borders, with a son and daughter who both possess a right to his lands, and soon a daughter by law who has the same. There is a reason he moved for the union in the first place.”

Foulques nodded. The advantages of a man trained to be a diplomat.

“On an unrelated subject,” Foulques began, “How does my wife fare in learning our tongue?”

“She has gained a few words,” Godfrey said. “Helie and I work with her as much as possible. But it takes time.”

Foulques hoped a wider grasp of the language might get Haldora to open up a bit more and be more engaging. After all, perhaps her lack of eagerness was due to her unfamiliarity with the world she was now in.

“Understood,” he told Godfrey. “I wish for her to join me tonight.”

“As you wish, my lord,” Godfrey said.

….

The next day, Foulques was in Jaspert’s chambers once more.

“You return because you wish for me to cure you,” the physician said.

Foulques did not respond. He did not want to be here. Every fiber of his being urged him to rethink this.

But he could not turn back now - the alternative was less present, but more fear-inducing to him.

The evening before he found himself unable to perform his duties as a husband should. He did not know if it was because of his illness - but as it had never happened to him before, he suspected it had to be.

It was an embarrassment in front of Haldora, who still, in her limited Frankish, told him that he was a good husband and that it did not matter.

Being patronized only enraged him further. He sent her from his chambers and spent the night thinking of whether he wished to place his life in the hands of Jaspert, despite his reservations.

A failure of a husband. Madness. The dissolution of all he had worked as his mind and body decayed.

What good is life if that is how it will end?

And so he was here. So he followed orders as Jaspert told him to lay on the table, as so he watched as the physician tied his hands and feet down.

“I will give you something that will put you to sleep,” Jaspert said. “A mixture from the East that is not widely known here.”

Foulques just nodded, though as he inhaled the fumes, his final thoughts were of whether he would ever wake again.

1092_Experimental_treatment.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Rolling the dice! Great way to end the update. ;)

1-4 he dies, 5-6 he lives!

Foulques just nodded, though as he inhaled the fumes, his final thoughts were of whether he would ever wake again.
Loved this sentence, it is simultaneously ambiguous or very telling pending on how you read it and interpret it. Well done sir, well done! :cool:

• 1Love
Reactions:
Squabbling court physicians do make your day more enjoyable (or annoying) - that is, if you are lucky enough to survive.

But looking at the ugly, heretic dwarf who cares for the son of satan's health, what can go wrong? :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Maimed I think, with a face to scare monsters and recalcitant Dukes.

With a few tuts from Adalmonde.

We are really seeing Foulques' vulnerabilities here.

Reactions:
I'd bet for Foulques! his time has not come yet

Reactions:
My experience of these experimental treatments is they never end well. The die is cast as has been said. 2 excellent updates: between his scheming son and his pox we have really begun to see a sorry side to Foulques. Hell im even beginning to feel sorry for the varmint

Very well written indeed

Reactions:
I suspect there is one outcome that Foulques would consider even worse than death: Awakening to find that he's been cured -- and also castrated ;)

That scene with Alberic was a joy to read. Even with all the stresses in his own life and the uncertainty of his situation, Foulques can still drive a hard bargain. Alberic may well harbor a grudge for years to come, but Foulques and his clan hold all the advantages in this situation, and both of them know it. I suspect that, in any case, Alberic's time as a duke will be coming to an end sooner rather than later...

Reactions:
Rolling the dice! Great way to end the update. ;)

1-4 he dies, 5-6 he lives!

Loved this sentence, it is simultaneously ambiguous or very telling pending on how you read it and interpret it. Well done sir, well done! :cool:

Glad you liked how it ended! That did turn out well - better than I anticipated. I do wonder what the breakdown is for these risky treatments. I don't do them frequently, but I really did not want to the negative outcomes from the Great Pox, which are awful, so I did (as many have alluded to) rolled the dice. :)

Squabbling court physicians do make your day more enjoyable (or annoying) - that is, if you are lucky enough to survive.

But looking at the ugly, heretic dwarf who cares for the son of satan's health, what can go wrong? :p

You sum up the situation nicely. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I kind of wish the option had come up for Adalmode to do the treatment, but got stuck with the king's physician, who I had little faith in. But like I said, desperate to avoid the fall out from the Pox, and given his experience with Guilhem, it struck me as something Foulques would do.

Maimed I think, with a face to scare monsters and recalcitant Dukes.

With a few tuts from Adalmonde.

We are really seeing Foulques' vulnerabilities here.

A face to scare monsters?! He has the great Pox. Surely it would make no sense for his face to be removed... Oh, what's that you say? We're playing CK2 where face removal cures everything from a severe case of the flu to cancer for some reason? Well... carry on then. ;)

Foulques has always had his flaws and vulnerabilities. But crisis has laid them out clearly.

I applaud Foulques for offering a compromise for Alberic that makes the best of a bad situation. I know desperate times can make for irrational decisions. I just kept wanting to yell to Foulques, "Don't do it!".

Alberic is such a bad duke, it's kind of amusing. In a lot of ways, that offer is probably the best Alberic could hope for, given his situation.

I understand that feeling, probably because it's justified. It's not like Jaspert has earned any trust. So many misdiagnosis before the Great Pox pop up happened.

I'd bet for Foulques! his time has not come yet

You'll see soon enough...

The die is cast.

Yep. And as @volksmarschall said, the rolls don't look to be in the duke's favor!

What the Duke really needs is one or two blue pills... for the health of his blood circulation.

Just don't get them from Jaspert, as they're liable to treat a rash or something, rather than his actual problem. ;)

My experience of these experimental treatments is they never end well. The die is cast as has been said. 2 excellent updates: between his scheming son and his pox we have really begun to see a sorry side to Foulques. Hell im even beginning to feel sorry for the varmint

Very well written indeed

I've heard they can work well, depending on the quality of the physician. But my experiences, in the few times I tried them, were more like yours. Still, felt I had to gamble here.

It's hard not to feel some sadness for someone who has seen fate turn so harshly against them, even if they do kind of deserve it. And thank you for the compliment!

I suspect there is one outcome that Foulques would consider even worse than death: Awakening to find that he's been cured -- and also castrated ;)

That scene with Alberic was a joy to read. Even with all the stresses in his own life and the uncertainty of his situation, Foulques can still drive a hard bargain. Alberic may well harbor a grudge for years to come, but Foulques and his clan hold all the advantages in this situation, and both of them know it. I suspect that, in any case, Alberic's time as a duke will be coming to an end sooner rather than later...

This was actually my top fear - Foulques gets castrated, and something befalls Geoffrey before he he has a son. I was pretty much hoping for anything but that - you'll see in the next update if my fears and Foulques' worst nightmare was realized.

Glad you enjoyed the Alberic scene. I worked quite a bit on it to get it how I wanted it - balancing an angry Alberic trying to throw his weight around but slowly realizing he doesn't have the power to really do so. As for his future... Alberic does still have Poitou and Gascony even if Geoffrey snags Aquitaine. But a duke unpopular enough to incite a rebellion against him that quickly probably doesn't have the brightest outlook - so your feeling has plenty of merit.

To all, looking to get the update out late Monday if I can get it how I want. Trying to get the last part of the chapter right. We'll see how it goes - this chapter turned out OK, but looking back, I think I could have done a little more with it. So hoping for that not to happen with this next one.

Thanks as always for the comments, questions and feedback!

Reactions:
Chapter 73 - February 1092
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 73
February 1092 - Anjou, France

“It could be worse.”

Geoffrey picked his head up from his cup of wine to stare at Aubry Karling, sitting across the small table. He scanned Aubry to see if he were joking. Aubry had a slight smirk as he sipped his own wine, but did not appear to be making a play at humor.

“I am exiled from my father’s council,” Geoffrey said. “The steward now rules Anjou in my father’s name. My sister sits in on their meetings, but I am not permitted. She has more say in the duchy than I do. I do not see how it could be much worse.”

“Your father could have thrown you in the dungeons,” Aubry said. “And he could have promised to aid Alberic. He did not.”

“He meets with him,” Geoffrey said. “I know not what he says to him.”

“If he wished for you to end your rebellion, he would have demanded it,” Aubry said. “Your father is not a subtle man.”

A good reassurance, Geoffrey thought, but he still felt unsure.

His abuse at the hands of his father did not prove to be the only insult Geoffrey had suffered. Losing all power in the duchy was another. And though Foulques did not indicate he would take action to stop the rebellion in Aquitaine, there was no guarantee he would not - if Alberic offered him a deal he could not refuse.

Geoffrey could not imagine what such a deal would be - but it did not stop him from dreading it.

There was a knock on the door, interrupting the conversation. Much to Geoffrey’s surprise, it was steward Guilhem. With him, was Agnes. Were they not in a meeting of the council?

Regardless, neither looked pleased. Guilhem frowned, while Agnes was very pale.

He had a chill run down his spine. What if they were concerned because they had to deliver the news Foulques had decided to act against the rebellion?

“What is it?” Geoffrey asked.

“News from Melun,” Guilhem said. “It involves your father.”

Involves, Geoffrey thought. Perhaps something had happened to his father? That might mean…

Geoffrey held his breath.

“Your father appears to have undertaken a risky procedure,” Guilhem said. “I do not know why…”

“Because of his illness,” Agnes blurted out. “I know that is why.”

“Does he live?” Geoffrey demanded. “Does my father live?”

“Yes,” Guilhem said. “Or he did when the messenger left Melun. That is all we can go on.”

“What has happened to him then?” Geoffrey asked.

“They say the procedure has left him in a serious state,” Guilhem said. “Nothing is certain.”

“I wish to go see him,” Agnes said.

“I do not wish the lady go venture out by herself. She remains unmarried,” Guilhem said. “It puts her at risk.”

“Are… you asking me?” Geoffrey asked Guilhem.

“Your father has appointed me regent,” Guilhem said. “But if your father is near death, then I feel there is no point in leaving you from such a decision. You will need to make plenty of them.”

Geoffrey’s head was spinning. Was his father truly dying? Was he about to ascend to the duchy of Anjou? Was he about to be handed all of that power, and all of that responsibility?

“I… I need a moment to think of this,” Geoffrey said. “Leave us.”

Guilhem lowered his head and moved to leave. Agnes remained behind for a moment.

“Please let me see father, Geoffrey,” she said. “Amaury will lead us. It will not a be a problem.”

“I… I need a few moments,” he repeated.

Agnes frowned by now followed the steward out, leaving Geoffrey alone with Aubry.

“It appears fortune smiles upon you after all,” Aubry said.

“That is my father,” Geoffrey said. “Show some respect.”

Aubry raised an eyebrow. “You were just angry with him and worried he might destroy your only chance for power. Why is this anything but a blessing?”

“I am angry with him,” Geoffrey said. “I do not agree with much of what he does. But he is my father. I do not wish him dead.”

“Fine, I will not call it a blessing,” Aubry said. “But there is opportunity. If he dies, you could throw your full support behind the rebels in Aquitaine. Alberic will be crushed with ease.”

Geoffrey lowered his head. His hand shaking, he picked up his wine and slowly drank it. Opportunity for sure. But… the potential for much danger as well. And his father was not dead yet.

“I will let my sister go to Melun,” he told Aubry. “And I will accompany her.”

Aubry appeared wide-eyed. “You should be here, to consolidate power should your father pass.”

“Consolidate… from who exactly? The only ones of my father’s line here are myself, my sister and her little bastard. I doubt anyone will be rallying for her.”

“There is Aureade,” Aubry said.

“My aunt has no support here,” Geoffrey said. “If there were threats, they lay in Burgundy. And they would be further from here than I would be in Melun. Now consider if my father does not die. It is clear that I still support him - and I hope then, he would still support me.”

Aubry shrugged. “I see the logic in what you say. But I think it the wrong choice.”

“Then you should pray my father lives Aubry,” Geoffrey said. “Or else you will need to get used to my decision-making sooner, rather than later.”

That was met with a frown, but no argument from Aubry. Then Geoffrey put down his cup, took a deep breath and moved out to the hall to inform Agnes and Guilhem of his decision.

…..

Days later, Geoffrey and Agnes stood in the keep in Melun. It had been a few years since Geoffrey had been there, and never while the king was not present. It seemed… less lively now. There were fewer people, less bustle and the mood had darkened.

Perhaps it was the wars. The king’s war had slowed and fears over Boudewijn’s rebellion moving on Melun were whispered in the halls, even if the queen, who, greeted them warmly, tried to downplay it.

Queen Sybille had enough on her plate. In addition to performing some of the realm’s administration, she was great with child. Given her husband had been away at war for going on two years now, there naturally had been whispers. However, she had ventured south in the summer to visit him - so it was possible the child she carried was the king’s.

But as juicy as those rumors were, Geoffrey’s concerns were not those at the moment. Instead he focused his glare, and his ire at the king’s physician, Jaspert.

He had heard little of this man before meeting him. He expected a wise-looking, smooth talking individual, who had convinced his father to undertake this risky treatment.

Instead, he and Agnes were greeted by an dwarf. His facial hair was well kept, but that was it as he had sunken eyes, a crooked nose and a ragged face. Adalmode, who now was with Foulques, had called him a hideous creature, and Geoffrey did have to admit the dwarf was ugly.

Father must have been terrified of the future to accept treatment from him.

“You have concerns?” he asked them.

“Concerns? You are mad,” Agnes said. “You may have killed my father.”

“Instead, I have saved his life and his mind,” Jaspert said.

“He may still not survive!” Agnes exclaimed. “Adalmode…”

“I do not know why you have brought that woman here,” Jaspert said. “This is my domain.”

“She is a retainer of Duke Foulques,” Geoffrey said. “And she has served him faithfully for years. With his life in danger, he would rather no one else.”

“That is why he selected me to perform this procedure then,” Jaspert noted.

“You promised him some magical cure,” Agnes said. “No doubt some ill-gotten procedure borne of your heresy!”

“You would do wise to not insult what you do not understand,” Jaspert said. “Especially as it has saved your father’s life.”

Geoffrey was going to argue, but the door to the chamber opened and Adalmode exited. It had been a struggle to get her in to see Foulques in the first place - Jaspert has not been welcoming - but eventually they won out after threatening to go to the queen.

“How is he?” Geoffrey asked.

“I have cleaned his wounds,” Adalmode said. “And hopefully, removed anything that might have caused infection.”

She glared at Jaspert. “You are a butcher.”

“Did you find any trace of his illness?” Jaspert asked.

The nun glared at him. “I did not. But his face was diseased?”

1092_Foulques_disfigured_but_cured.jpg

“The pox affects the mind,” Jaspert said. “I believe it was necessary to prevent the spread to the brain. The Duke should be grateful. I have saved him and not harmed his manhood. You would have let him die slowly, as he grew mad.”

If he survives,” Adalmode said.

“May we see him?” Agnes asked.

“He is resting, but you can see him, yes,” Adalmode said.

Geoffrey and Agnes left the two physicians to their argument and entered. They saw Foulques on the table, his face bandaged heavily. Some blood appeared to have stained them. In a bin, there were many more used bandages, all blood soaked. Tools lay to the side, where bits of flesh appeared to be caught in them.

It caused Agnes to blanche, and she was not alone. Geoffrey felt his stomach lurch, though he managed not to vomit.

“Father?” Agnes asked.

There was no response. But Foulques’ chest rose up and down - he definitely lived.

“Do you think he will recover?” Agnes asked.

“I do not know,” Geoffrey said.

“What if it is as some have said?” she wondered. “A punishment from God?”

“I think people who whisper such things… do not know what they speak of,” Geoffrey said. “Father is wrong about many things, but… I think he is right when he questions people say God is punishing someone every time tragedy befalls them.”

“Then what do you think it is?” Agnes asked.

“I do not know,” Geoffrey said. “But I will not make something up just to assign blame.”

Geoffrey looked over his father. Arguably the most powerful duke in the realm when it was whole and certainly when it was fractured, he lay here weak and vulnerable. If he wished to, Geoffrey could likely suffocate him and no one would be the wiser.

All he had to do was stay behind after Agnes departed. It would be quick - just a few moments. The deed done - the serious wounds caused by this surgery would be blamed. And just like that Geoffrey would be Duke of Anjou. And in time, much more.

He looked to his sister, who gently stroked their father’s graying hair.

She was so loyal. So loyal she’d never forgive me if I did such a thing. But would she ever find out?

Geoffrey shook his head. If Foulques was found dead right after he left him, of course she’d suspect. She’d be a fool not to.

No, it was foolish to entertain the notion, Geoffrey realized. So he did his best to put it from his mind.

….

But he could not.

That night he dreamt himself as the master of the western portion of the realm - ruler of Anjou, Aquitaine and Poitou, with Marguerite the Duchess of Gascony. Their combined might made them capable of looking any which way to extend their influence, north, south, east, west. It was a power beyond even his father’s wildest dreams.

And yet, after waking, Geoffrey could not escape thoughts that, for him, the possibility was very real.

He would have Anjou. With it, he could have Aquitaine. In time Poitou. And then Gascony for Marguerite. Their child would have all four.

In the dark of night, with candle in hand, he moved from his room and to his father’s. It was unguarded as expected. His one fear was Agnes would stand vigil, but she did not.

Geoffrey slipped in quietly, and gently pushed the chamber door closed.

The flickering light revealed his sleeping father, face bandaged. He lived, but for how long?

“Everything could be mine,” Geoffrey said as he looked at him. “I could leave… something over your face. You would suffocate… the procedure would be blamed. And then it would all be mine. The duchy. And if Anjou was mine, Aquitaine would fall next - I could throw my backing to Alias and we would stand 10,000 strong against Alberic.”

He paused and looked back at his father, wondering if perhaps he would wake. But he did not.

“Then I would wait for the truce to expire. Or perhaps Alberic would be dealt with by someone else - he is hated after all,” Geoffrey reasoned. “Then I would take Poitou. Perhaps someone would do it for me. Or Gascony for Marguerite.”

He smiled. “Perhaps I could gain a claim over Berry and pay Gilles back for what he has done to Agnes. And… Alearde. Or Brittany? Finish what you started?”

He saw a pillow by the side of his father and grabbed it.

“I should,” Geoffrey continued. “It is what many would do. It is what I am certain you would do - you who fought a war to steal his brother’s inheritance and who murdered a man to have his wife.”

He closed his eyes and for a moment embraced the desire that would drive someone to those lengths, to turn on blood and commit the ultimate sin. He thought back to the times he thought of embracing his darkest thoughts… but found things much harder in the abstract.

He paused. This was not just murder. It was killing his father. Without him, Geoffrey would not exist.

“It is what you would do,” Geoffrey repeated.

And is that what you would do? Do you not hate him for that reason?

Geoffrey opened his eyes and moved the pillow toward his father's face. “It is what you deserve.”

And you are to judge? You sound very much like him, you know that.

Geoffrey thought back to when he and Foulques had it out here, in this very keep a few years ago. The argument in which Foulques laid the truth before him and told him in no uncertain terms that if Geoffrey wished to be his equal, he had to be willing to do whatever it took to achieve his desires.

For so many nights, Geoffrey lay awake arguing against it. He crafted the perfect arguments, the rationale why he should be different, no would be different. And he justified why he did as he did in Aquitaine.

Yes, he moved to be the Duke of Aquitaine, at the expense of his cousin. But it was not his decision - not his forces that brought about that change. It was because Alberic had angered his counts to the point of rebellion.

And yes, he used his future wife’s claim to help bolster his own. But Marguerite would see benefits. She would be duchess of Aquitaine and in time, Anjou, which was more than she had ever been promised before.

Those perhaps were just rationalizations - reasons he told himself he was different than his father.

If you do this, you expose those reasons nothing more than a flimsy lie.

He looked down at his father - who now lay weak and wounded on just after the five year anniversary of his finest moment. He thought of King Philippe who, likewise, could lose all he had worked for in such a short time in the ascendancy.

And so too, he reflected on Alberic, who like Geoffrey stood to inherit much thanks to his father, but already squandered it by acting like a spoiled child who believed he should have all he desired, even against the wishes of others.

All men who stood unchecked in their desires. Or so they thought. But eventually, they overreached once too many times. And now they paid dearly.

“No one would know,” Geoffrey repeated.

Even so, this will not end here. You will think because you were successful here, you will be successful everywhere. And eventually, you will suffer their fate.

Geoffrey stepped back from his father’s bed. To kill Foulques would be to become him - Duke of Anjou… betrayer of families… selfish, unrepentant.

You would violate your own oaths, made to yourself.

He closed his eyes again. He had grand dreams. He could achieve those dreams, he could kill his father.

But if he wished to make sure they did not become nightmares, he could not.

I will be better. I will do this my own way.

“Your luck may have changed father,” Geoffrey said as he placed the pillow back beside his father. “But today you will be fortunate. If you can hear me, know that I could have killed you. But that I didn’t. And I will achieve my ambitions regardless.”

Geoffrey took one last look at his father and departed the room, not yet Duke of Anjou or Duke of Aquitaine.

Desire, desperation and fear had left his father in this pitiful state. Geoffrey would not be driven to those ends. He may never be Duke of Anjou or Aquitaine. But if he did succeed, he once more resolved it would be on his own terms.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What a great chapter, as Foulques weakens we see Geoffrey struggling with himself, if he will be different from his father or just become him. I fear that Foulques's time in this world will soon come to an end.

Reactions:
Well done chapter. I was literally on the edge of my seat as I read it. Geoffrey did some very profound soul searching and hopefully he will be a better man because of it. He realized his father's failings and saw them for what they are and how they put Foulques where he is now and chose not to follow his father's path. While he may be ambitious and rash at times I do respect that he is true to himself.

Reactions:
It is always a gratifying moment to see someone struggle against the darkest impulses of their nature and emerge victorious. Even if no one else would ever have known, Geoffrey has learned that the one person you can't hide treachery from is yourself -- and while the material consequences of betraying a vow made only to yourself may be small in the short run, those are precisely the ones that cause the most damage when broken.

And besides, knowing Foulques, he will likely measure out himself the very rope with which he will be metaphorically hung sooner or later.

I am reminded of the scene in The Accursed Kings series where Enguerrand de Marigny is reflecting on his coming execution and notes how evil men always sow the seeds of their own downfall, even when their deeds are ostensibly done to right another evil -- his own role in the downfall of the Knights Templar for the benefit of Philippe le Bel being the particular evil in question.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well, Foulques is not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot. The procedure was successful but may yet kill him. I sense that Foulques is not yet done with life, and has goals yet to accomplish in his time. However - death waits for no man. Time will tell.

A truly riveting chapter, well done. It captures the essence of that agonizing wait from treatment to either death or health.

Reactions:
One of the things I love about reading a great AAR is those scenes where you know the game mechanics, but you aren't quite sure whether the author isn't writing a scene in order to give a narrative reason for an in game event or just taking the opportunity to explore the mind of a character like Geoffrey. That was done masterfully and I was reading the scene really contemplating the possibility that the game simply killed Foulques off for some reason nominally unrelated to his illness and treatment in the immediate period after. Brilliant.

Now the big question; did Foulques hear any of that?

• 1Love
Reactions:
The passage of Geoffrey's struggle is, I think, one of the best things you have written in this AAR. The competition is fierce, but this long monologue as he talks through his temptation feels very real.

I really did not know until the end which way he would eventually go.

Reactions: