• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As I've seen HOI3 improve with almost every DLCs and new release, I expect HOI4 to be at it's best when HOI5 is announced and you can snap up a collector pack for a reasonable price... In the meantime, plenty more to do in HOI3.

I don't think there will be a hoi5 anytime soon, the framework of the game seems quite modular so I guess there will be DLC over DLC for the foreseeable future

Reactions:
So at this point I would like to send out a heartfelt thank you to all my dear readAARs of this humble tome for taking it past the symbolic milestone of 50,000 views. Your continued support (whether simply reading or actively commenting) is what keeps me going. I know it is the same for all AAR writers.

On that note, I also ask you to consider supporting other authors, especially on the HOI3 forum. One way of doing that is to vote for your favourite AARs in the quarterly awards (see the little ad pinned at the top of the HoI3 forum to find it). I’ll be doing so soon myself.

That is a good segue on to the replies to the question of ‘what has HOI3 got going for it?’ I definitely agree with both the replies below. In terms of a purist’s strategic war game simulation of WW2 I’ve not played anything near as good on a computer. And handled right, it can give lots of enjoyment as a game and as an AAR vehicle. Otherwise we wouldn’t be here, would we? ;)
Basically, I haven't seen a better grand strategy game series on ww2 yet. It has everything, from Diplomacy, all the way to weather... sure, there are many faults, but in a game of this scope, there were bound to be some. As @Bullfilter pointed out, most of the mistakes (like the one discussed above) don't influence the actual gameplay at all. And yes, the more you play, the more you research, the more you start to notice mistakes, but ultimately it's still a great game, the fact that we tolerate/deride it's many flaws, and keep playing, just proves that. I think we all know how good the game is, but we don't all know every little 'mistake' that can happen, so we tend to discuss that in more detail and take the rest for granted...
From what I've seen, HOI4 is somewhat incomplete, but has some interesting dynamics (sadly, no counters yet). As I've seen HOI3 improve with almost every DLCs and new release, I expect HOI4 to be at it's best when HOI5 is announced and you can snap up a collector pack for a reasonable price... In the meantime, plenty more to do in HOI3.
Mostly what @Bullfilter said. The HOI games I've enjoyed most have been the grand strategy ones, trying to juggle resources across multiple theatres and never having enough of anything, as has been said it does that better than any other game I've tried. It does require some house rules and/or mods to stop it being too easy and there are some well known loop holes and ways to exploit the AI, but what game doesn't have those sort of issues?

It's probably at it's weakest as a puppet or minor, as you can do almost nothing, though I would argue that Germany is probably the most boring to play as in vanilla; it is all but impossible to lose. US games can be hit or miss as well, sometimes the war can be wrapped up before you get there and sometimes you are facing a Germany that spans from Normandy to Vladivostok.

On the research front I gather CK2 still has plenty of anachronistic issues and/or mistakes, it's just less people are aware of them. Certainly the people who are aware of them care, see for instance historically named heresies that pop up centuries before the 'named' heretic was born (Lollards 700 years early!), the ongoing complaints about when the Great Schism actually happened or what to do about Chalcedonian Christianity (sadly 'Nothing' does not appear to be an acceptable answer)
Hear hear, RoverS3 and El Pip!
I don't think there will be a hoi5 anytime soon, the framework of the game seems quite modular so I guess there will be DLC over DLC for the foreseeable future
I think you could be right there, if the CK2 approach is taken. For some good while, anyway. Perhaps I’ll get around to HOI4 eventually, when I’m finished with 3! :)

Reactions:
So at this point I would like to send out a heartfelt thank you to all my dear readAARs of this humble tome for taking it past the symbolic milestone of 50,000 views.
Well earned. You put a lot of work into this.

About that coming café visit...better have a skilled tester with enormous...taste-buds.:)

Reactions:
past the symbolic milestone of 50,000 views

congrats, and I hope you hit many more symbolic milestones like this one. keep up the good work.

Reactions:
Congrats on the 50k views, you really deserve them as you put up a lot of effort in your AARs!
I have never seen Turkey having heavy armor, let´s hope it will help you since the Axis are on the blitz :cool:

Reactions:
On the research front I gather CK2 still has plenty of anachronistic issues and/or mistakes, it's just less people are aware of them.

Oh there's loads (like castles being a thing like they are) but since 'medieval' is tripping at the point where fantasy and history have melded together (the classical period is already there) it's hard to correct. The amount of knowledge we have over a period like that is comparable to and perhaps exceeded by the amount of evidence we have from ww2.

Reactions:
Oh there's loads (like castles being a thing like they are) but since 'medieval' is tripping at the point where fantasy and history have melded together (the classical period is already there) it's hard to correct. The amount of knowledge we have over a period like that is comparable to and perhaps exceeded by the amount of evidence we have from ww2.
True enough, but that is no excuse for getting the things we do know so badly wrong. The heresies for instance are an easy fix, just give each one a rough +/- date range when it can occur instead of the game randomly picking one. Doesn't impact the game but does stop things like Lollards committing heresies against ideas the Catholic church doesn't yet officially hold.

Reactions:
So at this point I would like to send out a heartfelt thank you to all my dear readAARs of this humble tome for taking it past the symbolic milestone of 50,000 views. Your continued support (whether simply reading or actively commenting) is what keeps me going. I know it is the same for all AAR writers.
Aside from achieving 50,000 views, which is indeed a fine milestone, you have racked up an impressive number of replies, far in excess of what is typical. I'm fairly certain there is very little significance in ones reply:view ratio, expect indicating how many lurkers vs active commenters you have amongst your readership. As you are very much an outlier there is clearly something about your writing that compels people to comment, so congratulations on that as well. :)

Reactions:
and sometimes you are facing a Germany that spans from Normandy to Vladivostok.

Some of us would consider that to be a good thing... :p

Well-deserved and congratulations! If I may say so, you've managed to maintain quite an impressive combination of pacing, detail, and frequency of updates that is rarely matched on this forum. Here's to 50,000 more views - and 100 more chapters! :D

Reactions:
Reactions:
Don't you mean from Brittany to Vladivostok?
Technically yes, but Normandy is a bit more evocative so I went with it.

@nuclearslurpee And you would be right to consider that a good thing. If you play the US on a pre-war start then you need something like a Germany that spans Normandy (or Brittany ;) ) to Vladivostok to have any sort of fun at all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Don't you mean from Brittany to Vladivostok?

Much like in CKII AARs, no one in Nazi Germany wants to take Brittany either. So the border starts from Normandy.

I think the viewer reply ratio may have something to do with how much strategising and open debate there is over what the game is doing and what turkey can do, in and out of universe. The grace of an unexpected success in a minor and underwritten power (forum wise) and some unusual happenings because of it.

Reactions:
Aside from achieving 50,000 views, which is indeed a fine milestone, you have racked up an impressive number of replies, far in excess of what is typical. I'm fairly certain there is very little significance in ones reply:view ratio, expect indicating how many lurkers vs active commenters you have amongst your readership. As you are very much an outlier there is clearly something about your writing that compels people to comment, so congratulations on that as well. :)
I think the viewer reply ratio may have something to do with how much strategising and open debate there is over what the game is doing and what turkey can do, in and out of universe. The grace of an unexpected success in a minor and underwritten power (forum wise) and some unusual happenings because of it.
Thank you both for the comments. From the start, the play-and-post format was designed to welcome direct comment and involvement, mainly because that’s what I thought I would enjoy and may also encourage people to join in, offer views and suggestions and (as it turned out) actually become part of the fabric of the AAR as ‘NPCs’ in the narrative.

I have also always valued commentary of all sorts very highly and try to keep the feedback loop going. I really do thank all readers, and an extra warm smile and nod of appreciation to those who also comment, whether regularly or just once in a while. :)

Reactions:
Well-deserved and congratulations! If I may say so, you've managed to maintain quite an impressive combination of pacing, detail, and frequency of updates that is rarely matched on this forum. Here's to 50,000 more views - and 100 more chapters! :D
Thank you very much, Nukeluru Slorepi, :). Five game years completed - not sure how many more to go. Especially if, once the Fascists are hopefully defeated, there might have to be an Unthinkable epilogue in order to achieve the new Comintern World Order! :eek:;)

Reactions:
That and the regularity of updates. If you write, readers come after all.

Reactions:
That and the regularity of updates. If you write, readers come after all.
I'd say that's generally true, though, just as with "if you build it they will come" I'm sure there are plenty of counterexamples... not on this sub-forum though, not that I know of...

Anyhow. Congratulations to @Bullfilter for 50k views, that's some milestone... As others said, you sure found a great recipe for an AAR which attracts a lot of interaction. From the choice of subject (big enough to have a shot, but not so big it's all been done before), to the interwoven movie-plots (especially the mashup of plot lines from the Godfather series), as well as a level of detail, enough to feel involved, but not so much as to feel overwhelmed (I might have slightly gone wrong there)... You manage to reach a wide, and active audience, and it's to your credit.
(Of course, gratuitously rewarding regular commentAARs by giving them characters and appearances in the story line doesn't hurt either. I'm certainly not complaining, it's a lot of fun.)

I'll be sure to do something special when my time comes, though I suspect I'll be too deep into the Great Patriotic War to even notice by then...

Reactions:
Since you're well on your way to 51k views and 1200 responses, that's roughly a 45-to-1 view/post ratio!

Reactions:
Since you're well on your way to 51k views and 1200 responses, that's roughly a 44-to-1 view/post ratio!
Though a lot of them will be mine :D! Still, it’s nice to have an active commentAARiat. :)

Reactions:
Chapter 109: Sharp Defiance (1 to 14 February 1941)
Chapter 109: Sharp Defiance (1 to 14 February 1941)

Prologue - Foreign Ministry Cafeteria, Ankara

GRU liaison SkitalecS3 has passed some Soviet insight into German thinking from some ‘well placed assets’ in Berlin. The conversation is being discussed – in hushed tones – by our two Foreign Ministry friends (‘anonymous sources') in Ankara. This time, the conversation is so sensitive they will not risk having it in a café outside the Ministry. Instead, they take their ease at the cafeteria – with inferior coffee and slightly stale baklava: the sacrifices they must make surely exceed those of the brave men at the front! And after all this time, the two men finally pose for a photograph!

zO7Waa.jpg

Our two Foreign Ministry friends remain very protective of their true identities.

“So, our Comintern sources have revealed some of the inner thinking of Herr Hitler and his odious crew following our most recent wonderful victory at Timisoara!” says the diplomat standing on the left. “A victory, I hasten to add, entirely due to the glorious combination of our brave fighting men and their peerless leadership!”

He says this last while glancing out of the corner of his eye at a painting of Atatürk on the wall. He can’t be sure and doesn’t want to look too closely but he had a nasty feeling the eyes in the painting were tracking their movements.

ibUf74.jpg

Not only must they contend with 'the walls having ears’, but they seemed to have eyes now, as well! It's probably one of the despised Kaya’s secret policemen behind there.

“Indeed yes,” answers the man on the right, meticulously avoiding any glance at the shifty-eyed portrait. He knows his tradecraft. “It portends a great attack in the east. But will it fall upon us or our Soviet allies? This is the question that will only be resolved by actions on the ground in the coming weeks and months.”

“Quite so, my dear chap. Let us hope the hammer continues to fall on Stalin's masses – and not us as well, as the Germans gain their attacking power.”

Reprinted below is the classified report to which they refer.

---xxx---

Adolf Hitler (Führer of Germany; Chief Fascist Pig): “It is certain they have held at Timisoara?”

Colonel-General Alfred Jodl (Chief of Staff; Nazi Butcher): “And if he be not fought withal, Mein Führer, let us not live in Germany; let us quit all and give our Fatherland to a barbarous people.”

Rudolf Hess (Deputy Führer; Buffoon and Braggart): “O Mein Gott! Shall a few sprays of us, the emptying of our Fatherland’s luxury, our scions, put in wild and savage stock, spirt up so suddenly into the clouds, and overlook their grafters?”

{All look askance at Hess: as usual, no-one knows quite what he is talking about. Just that it sounds grandiose, ridiculous and malapropos.}

Josef Goebbels (Security Minister; Egregious Propagandist): {looks sideways at Hess with barely restrained contempt} “Turks, but bastard Turks, Turkish bastards! Death of my life if they march along unfought withal, but I will sell my Bogensee villa, to buy a slobbery and a dirty farm in that nook-shotten country of Turkey.”

Jodl: “Gott der Schlachten! Where have they this mettle? Is not their climate arid, raw and dull, on whom, as in despite, the sun looks hot, killing their fruit with frowns? Can their dusty hills, their kebabs, warm their cold blood to such valiant heat? And shall our quick blood, spirited with Schnapps, seem frosty? O, for honour of our land, let us not hang like roping icicles upon our houses' thatch, whiles a more primitive people sweat drops of gallant youth in our rich fields! Poor we may call them in their native lords.”

Hess: “By faith and honour, our madams mock at us, and plainly say our mettle is bred out and they will give their bodies to the lust of Turkish youth to new-store Germany with bastard warriors.”

9hxo6W.jpg

Hess addresses Hitler in Berlin, January 1941. He is quite pleased with his last little verbal joust, which for once actually seems to have hit the mark: the Führer is energised!

Goebbels: {for once jumping on the overwrought and under-laden Hess bandwagon} “They bid us to the Turkish dancing-schools, and teach lavoltas high and swift corantos; saying our grace is only in our heels, and that we are most lofty runaways.”

Hitler: “Goebbels, speed you hence to the microphone: greet Turkey with our sharp defiance. Up, leaders of Germany! And, with spirit of honour edged more sharper than your swords, hie to the field: Alfred Jodl, Chief of Staff of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht; you Franz Seldte, Armament Minister; Chief of the Heer (Werner) von Blomberg; (Erich) Raeder of the Kriegsmarine; and you von Siemens (Carl Friedrich von Siemens, Chief of the Luftwaffe). Even you Canaris (Head of Intelligence). Reichsführers, Ministers and Generals: for your great seats now quit you of great shames. Destroy Inönü of Turkey, who defies our might with pennons painted in the blood of Ada! Rush on his host, as doth the melted snow upon the valleys, whose low vassal seat the Alps doth spit and void his rheum upon: go down upon him, you have power enough, and in a captive Sd.Kfz. 250 into Berlin bring him our prisoner.”

aOEki3.jpg

This German half-track is what the by now almost crazed Führer, egged on by Hess and Goebbels, had in mind for the Glorious Milli Şef’s ignominious entry into Berlin. Inönü’s intention was certainly to enter Berlin: but in glory, atop a Turkish IS-1 heavy tank, at the head of a conquering army. He would give them some 'sharp defiance'! Huzzah!

Jodl: “This becomes the great. Sorry am I his numbers are so few, his soldiers sick and famish'd in their trenches, for I am sure, when he shall see our army, he'll drop his heart into the sink of fear and for achievement offer us his ransom.”

Hitler: “Therefore Goebbels, in haste now say to Turkey that we send to know what willing ransom he will give. Hess, you shall stay with us in Berlin.”

Hess: “Not so, I do beseech you Mein Führer.”

Hitler: “Be patient, for you shall remain with us. Now forth, Jodl and generals all, and quickly bring us word of Turkey's fall.”

5cnmlc.jpg

Dr. Josef Goebbels (Reichsminister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, as well as Security Minister) spews forth his wretched bile over the airwaves, 1 February 1941. His tirade is studiously ignored by both Turkey and the Soviet Union.

---xxx---

“The filthy Fascist braggarts! May their sauerkraut choke them!” exclaims the diplomat on the left, ever-mindful of the eyes and ears likely infesting the nearby cafeteria wall.

“Bold words from a collection of amoral buffoons, may their bratwurst stick in their throats,” says the man on the right, carefully withholding his own deep fears should the Germans actually turn even part of their main force against the Turkish lines.

They are well aware the main mobilised force of their great ally, the Soviet Union, is sorely stretched just holding their own line against the German Juggernaut. Fortunately, so far the Yeniçeri Line has largely been left to second-string Italian, Hungarian and Slovakian forces.

Both men rightfully fear that even a part of the main German panzer forces released from the recent conquest of France would punch through the in most parts thinly held Turkish lines and force a general retreat. But neither is game to say this out loud when such might be interpreted as defeatism. With fatal consequences. They return to their respective desks, outwardly all bravado, but inwardly worried should this Axis braggadocio turn into real action.

---xxx---

Additional Reports – End January/Start February

Supreme HQ in Ankara has sought and received some general reports from their main Comintern allies on how they view the situation on their respective fronts. [Note, these are available from the ‘Theatres’ tab: as noted before, I can see their stances and even click on the drop-down menu for allied HQs, but this has no effect – any changes here for other countries do not ‘stick’.]

Field Marshal Calistar reviews the first – from his counterpart, Marshal Magon of Kyiv HQ, which controls the entire Soviet Eastern Front against Germany.

4ypt0E.jpg

It seems Magon is a pessimist. He does not believe he will be able to hold the line, citing the need for a vast amount of additional air power as the key factor.

The view from Bucharest, where General Ilcusu commands, is similar. He too claims to be unable to sustain his defence and also wants more air support. Which he is extremely unlikely to get.

u3xT6B.jpg

The Soviets in the Far East are also despondent of their chances – though they seem to have a fair amount of air support available to them and are just requesting an additional five wings of TAC to help redress the perceived imbalance.

88pXFV.jpg

Inönü reviews copies of these reports early on 1 February, as he consumes a quick breakfast before venturing into the HQ 1st Army CP, still housed in Kraljevo. He estimates the situation to be similar on his own front: he definitely needs more air support and, although he is holding for now for lack of any serious enemy winter campaign against his Turkish 1st Army, he is uncertain about his chances of doing so if the enemy focuses on his thinly-held Yeniçeri Line. Fortunately, there are no signs of that happening soon. Yet.

A final report from Admiral Üngen confirms that the main fleet and all Turkish transports remain ready in Istanbul, if called upon to embark the 3rd Cav Div (3 x CAV + 1 x AC) if needed for operations against the Saudis in the Persian Gulf.

kzhEfm.jpg

---xxx---

1 Feb 41

The Turkish sector remains quiet as February begins. But just to the north, the recently re-occupied Debrecen appears to be under heavy Italian counter-attack before the Soviets can consolidate its defence.

lvFfKY.jpg

While there is more grim news from Poland: the Soviets advise they have lost Bilgoraj to the Germans, as they extend their major counter-offensive to regain lost territory there.

bFrYom.jpg

And that evening, Brest-Litovsk comes under heavy German attack.

0q1LKi.jpg

2 Feb 41

Another Vichy spy is apprehended and ‘neutralised’. It seems this will become a regular occurrence. In better news from the front, that evening the Soviets recapture the forests of Bialystock, which had been lost to the Germans in January.

3 Feb 41

And now they report they have yet again occupied the much-contested Slovakian province of Humenne. Although, predictably, a heavy German counter-attack appears to be in progress.

S6Jve3.jpg

In the north, the German pocket of Palanga, still under Soviet attack, is relieved when the Germans retake their border city of Memel. It looks like the Soviets are also in retreat from nearby Rietavas as German panzers continue to make their presence felt.

hEy8U0.jpg

4 Feb 41

The only noteworthy issue to be reported this day was the Soviets once again losing Debrecen to the Axis.

5 Feb 41

Palanga is retaken, but unfortunately the German MOT division there is able to retreat safely to Memel.

msxp8X.jpg

And shortly after, the Germans continue their break through into Zamosc in Poland. There are many Soviet forces nearby, but it is not clear how many of them have the capacity or inclination to counter-attack.

Xks3vH.jpg

6 Feb 41

The German winter offensive in Poland now sees the key city of Brest-Litovsk taken.

gUTP6S.jpg

7 Feb 41

Another new garrison brigade is deployed, this time on the Ionian Sea coast at Kerkyra. This completes the first level of protection along all mainland Mediterranean ports. Even if, for most of them, this remains a single militia or garrison brigade. Until the threat of an Italian naval landing can be written off, at least a minimum level of protection will be aimed for. New reinforcements of second-line units will be used to shore up the most strategically important ports if and when they become available.

EdsPYW.jpg

The recently retaken Palanga remains in Soviet hands, but they have now lost Rietavas, to its south-east. The Soviets are looking to shore up their defences in the forests of the former Lithuania.

Ia2806.jpg

8 Feb 41

“So, no Axis air or ground attacks along the entire Turkish sector again for the last week?” inquires Inönü of his HQ 1st Army chief of staff.

“Not a one, General. Nor even a hint of such preparations.”

“Very well then. What of other news from the front?”

“Some good news, sir. The Soviet 6th Tank Div has just retaken Brest-Litovsk from the Germans. With any luck, this time the infantry will be able to reinforce them before the Germans counter-attack.”

dG4c4P.jpg

“Good show! Our allies are not giving in without a fight, even if the Germans inch forward gradually.”

OJ5IdH.jpg

A T-34 from the Soviet 6th Tank Div on the outskirts of Brest-Litovsk, 10 February 1941.

9 Feb 41

Bad news this time from the Soviets: Bialystok, previously wrested from German clutches, has been lost again.

0liTQl.jpg

Though Zamosc has been retaken, closing a dangerous breach in the line. How long it can be held though remains in question.

7DYmb1.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Ankara

“Minister Kaya, a message for you,” announces an aide to the Security Minister, somewhat reticently. He bears a small, sealed envelope and a small glass bottle with some medication in it.

“Oh, very well,” Kaya snatches the envelope and opens it impatiently. Then again, he does almost everything impatiently.

Minister, another Vichy spy has been caught. This one was found snooping around the docks in Istanbul. We assess he may have been trying to discover preparations for a naval attack. They may be afraid of a seaborne assault in Syria/Lebanon. He succumbed to his interrogation – which was done using the Kelebek Method – before he could divulge any useful information. Though he did refer to a reputed British-run ‘asset’ somewhere within the Turkish government. He had no name, description or location for this supposed agent, just a code-name: The Thorn.

“Argghhhh!” was all the aide could determine from Kaya’s response, as his face turned a dangerously beetroot red.

“Here, Minister, your medication!” Knowing the contents of the envelope, the man already had an apoplexy pill and a glass of water ready, in the hope this may calm his boss before he did any damage to himself – or others. In particular him, as the bearer of the bad tidings.

After Kaya had spent a minute or so calming down (a relative term in his case) he ground out “I want this Thorn found! I want him captured alive. And this time if we get our hands on him use the old methods – we can’t afford to have him ‘Kelebekked’ like all the others!”

At this utterance both men pause nervously to scan the corners, windows, doors and ceiling of the office quickly. The aide also checks under the table. All clear: even though Kelebek is reputedly in Zürich at the moment, one can never be too careful!

10 Feb 41

OTL Event: Britain severed diplomatic relations with Romania due to the presence of 500,000 German troops in the country.
Comment: of course in this ATL, such action has been precluded by the wise and decisive intervention of Turkey to install a friendly regime before the Second Great War. They now continue to help hold back the Fascist tide. In stark contrast to Britain’s pusillanimous behaviour towards their French ally.

[AuthAAR peers over shoulder, just to ensure one of Kaya's agents is not lurking behind the pot plant. If he is, these words should assuage him! :)]

12 Feb 41

Turkish research is once again on the march. The rudiments of first aid have finally been introduced into the Turkish Armed Forces. Inönü decides it is once again time to invest in improved education for the Glorious Union. This war may continue for a long time – and perhaps even after the defeat of the Fascists. Improving the Turkish intellectual leadership remains a high priority.

VrwgJl.jpg

Following on from the earlier loss of Debrecen, now the Axis have once again advanced over the Romanian border into Oradea.

fG5IYK.jpg

13 Feb 41

OTL Event: The British minister to Sofia said in a statement that "If the Germans occupy Bulgaria and make it a base against our ally, obviously we shall have to break off relations with Bulgaria and take whatever measures the situation requires."

Comment: yet more confirmation of Turkey’s wisdom in taking matters into its own hands in the Balkans during the late 1930s. And of thinking Allied support would prove unreliable and less than useful in an all-out war against the Axis.

14 Feb 41

Inönü is provided a quick snapshot of Turkish industrial output. There is also a summary of progress on the four major projects added most recently to the pipeline. They now account for around two thirds of the Turkish industrial capacity devoted to production. If the rate of effort can be sustained or improved for the IS-1 heavy tank brigade, it should be ready before the end of the year.

MiBIL0.jpg

News is received that night that Palanga could not be held by the Soviets, who have again been forced out. Again, no air or ground attacks have been launched on the Turkish Sector in the last week. The newly relocated (Beograd) and improved (new I-16 wing) Turkish fighter force has therefore not been called upon to intercept any Axis air attacks (they will not be risked by any patrolling tasks in the interim).

All the action seems to be directed against the Soviets – which is a relief for the Turks, even while they feel for their allies. But the Soviets have the vast manpower reserves to sustain such a fight, which is the strategy for defeating the Germans: bleed them dry, then counter-attack when ready. With or without an Allied second front.

OTL Event: Britain announced that beginning the next day it would consider Romania to be "territory under enemy occupation" and would regard the country as an "enemy destination for contraband purposes."

Comment: Enough said on this subject. For now. ;)

---xxx---

General Reports – as at Midnight 14 Feb 41

The mid-month report on combat operations is provided to the Cabinet.

With no change in the Turkish sector, the net gains over the first two weeks of February on the Eastern Front – all to the Axis this time – are indicated below.

3AG8wg.jpg
In the north, Memel and Rietavas have been taken by Germany with Palanga relieved and retaken.

RHpaGg.jpg
In Poland, the German advance has ground forward. In the last few days, they have made progress again in the south, with Zamosc retaken as part of their Polish offensive.

MhwVR4.jpg

And the news is similar on the Hungarian-Romanian sector, with Hungarian territory being reoccupied by the Axis and once again pushing over the border into Romania.

lub2wj.jpg

In the Far East, there are only minor adjustments to the line since the end of January.

lYZILD.jpg

The Romanians seem to be assisting the Soviets to hold their positions in Mongolia, with even a small advance having been executed, opening up a gap in the Japanese lines they are trying to remedy.

8UuG3U.jpg

But the news from Libya continues to be disappointing, with this map tracking recent Italian advances and their progress since the Allied ‘high water mark’ of 31 December 1940. [More British AI incompetence, disinterest – or both. ;)]

Gl2Z2M.jpg

---xxx---

Coming Up: Will it remain ‘All Quiet on the Yeniçeri Front’? Once that Soviet EF division arrives on the Persian Gulf, will they be joined by 3 Cav Div for a naval landing to surprise the Saudis and hopefully capture Riyadh? That question will be resolved at a Cabinet meeting later in February. And who is this mysterious ‘Thorn’ – the reputed British mole in Turkey? Kaya is determined to find out, but is making no headway at all for now.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I sometimes forget just how needlessly verbose the German leadership is these days, then, when I get an intelligence report on their conversations I'm instantly reminded. I do somewhat admire their daring...Sending a single half-track to single handedly capture Inonu and end the war with Turkey... Though such daring may be construed as foolishness, and one less half-track for the Panzer-Grenadiers...

One hell of a storm is coming down on our WESTERN front with Germany (Only Germans and bourgeois capitalists call the front at the Western edge of the great Soviet Union, the Eastern Front), it does seem the Wehrmacht is concentrating it's forces in just a few areas to try and force a breakthrough... Let's just hope the line can continue to bend, and once the Germans finish overextending themselves they'll be easy pray.

The only reason I can think of for the Germans not to push through the Yeniceri line is that they are genuinely scared of the Turks, as is confirmed by those eavesdropped conversations.

Have you considered that if Romania Falls, Mongolia will probably follow soon after... Interesting, unexpected, and somewhat frightening that those two are so intricately linked. Just another consequence of STAVKA's ambitious "Romanian defence of the Far East" plan.

I feel slightly bad for those two men who had to suffer stale Balaclava, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...

SkitalecS3

Reactions: