• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(41649)

Colonel
Mar 19, 2005
Based on this thread here, I decided to try a game as Germany where I only built HQs.

The Premise
The only land divisions to be built or purchased are HQs and their brigades.
Starting infantry can be used for early wars, but not against the Soviet Union.
Settings are normal difficulty with IC and tech takeover disabled.

How it Went Down
It started with 2 runs of factories as per usual. Research was focused on land doctrines, self propelled artillery, aircraft carriers, destroyers, fleet in being doctrine, air doctrine (for CAGs), and the usual industry stuff. The entire Luftwaffe got shafted and were donated to Italy.

By the start of the war in 1939 Germany had about 60 HQ-SPARTs, and roughly 45 infantry from the start of the game. Her Army was top-heavy to say the least, but nobody seemed to notice the disproportionate number of mobile commands. Driving like madmen in the "Vee Dubs", the officers would hit-and-run entire divisions of retreating Polish Infantry, even outracing armored divisions.

Poland would have been taken in 2 days, but there was a slight hang up at the rivers around Warsaw. After Poland, everyone rushed to France, and Vichy France was established about 12 days later in early October. Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands were also overrun by command centres in 1939. Nationalist Spain, Bulgaria, and Hungary joined the Axis, but their troops were only used to garrison beaches.

In early 1940, Italy triggered a Balkan CF, so Germany had to go in and help them to annex Yugoslavia, Romania, Greece and Turkey. Norway also got the same treatment. Infantry and HQ-SPARTs were stockpiled in Dunkirk for operation Sea Lion. All that was missing was 6 brand new carriers needed to hold off the Royal Navy.

hq1ei7.jpg

May, 1940(some numbers are slightly inflated due to useless expeditionary forces)

hq2cj8.jpg

It seems that generals and clerks can fight after all

hq3sn5.jpg

The HQs keep on coming

In June of 1940, the aircraft carriers finally arrive, and England is Germanized by October. Now it is the final run up to Barbarossa, and all industries are focused on building and upgrading the HQs. The new level III HQs seem to come equipped with rocket-powered racing cars, but fortunately it seems that self propelled artillery can maintain the same speed.

By May of 1941, Germany's crazed military planners have constructed 108 HQs. Sweden and Finland have been invaded as preparation for a Western Offensive. In a bold and daring move, all non-HQ units are moved to the rear provinces. It seems counter intuitive on the surface, but the German war machine has evolved to the point where infantry are unnecessary. So meticulous is the combined planning power of over one hundred HQs that no enemy can face the enormity of their logistical and communication superiority.

may9pp4.jpg

May 9th, 1941: Barbarossa begins!

june4hj7.jpg

June 4th, 1941: The Soviet army is already in shambles

july4zh7.jpg

July 4th, 1941: All hope is lost; Moscow is surrounded

august5kk8.jpg

May 5th, 1941: Bitter Peace

Conclusion
HQs are a viable combat unit for IC rich nations, and it is nearly impossible not to win as Germany in single player.

Now do that in WIF/TRP or millitia only D:

Holy Jesus. I need to do that in a multiplayer game. How many HQ's per corps? or are they all single units commanded by Major generals?

Whoa - Iraq is invading Italian Turkey.

Geez, that's awesome... Brilliant even, I'd say.:eek:

Is that Bulgaria in Northern Ireland?
Yes, I made the mistake of sending the Bulgarians to garrison it, forgetting that they lack convoy transports to supply themselves.

Holy Jesus. I need to do that in a multiplayer game. How many HQ's per corps? or are they all single units commanded by Major generals?

Whoa - Iraq is invading Italian Turkey.

Mostly 3 HQs per corp under a lieutenant general, a few field marshals and generals with corps of 6 or 9, and a few single divisions commanded by promising major generals.

Something went funny in Iraq such that they were in the allies, and at war with Italy, but I had military access through Iraq and a non-aggression pact, so my divisions would just walk into their land without attacking.

Thats pretty cool, so gonna try it myself :D

Vanilla needs a better AI :eek:o

Great experiment.
This proves, that the game ballance is pretty bad. Try it with the DAIM mod :D

I reloaded this game and built another 60 HQs before attacking the soviets a year later in 1942. This time I achieved Bitter Peace in 42 days. 17 of those days were spent waiting for the event to fire after all the key provinces were held.

the Pen is mightier...?

do you have some screenshots of the combats? I would like to know how you managed to win with so little offensive firepower, since the HQs with SP-ART have only 6 or 7 soft attack. Did you use the Airforce a lot?

truly... A Generals' War

HQs use up surprisingly much TC though, but generally they're a bit underrated as divs probably, only used really for helping in fortress-busting. Well luckily hoi3 will have a better command structure modeled (for instance Eisenhower was the supreme commander of SHAEF in Europe, but he didnt command directly armies/army groups like Monty, Patton or Bradley (theyre all at the same level in hoi2 so to speak.)

the Pen is mightier...?

do you have some screenshots of the combats? I would like to know how you managed to win with so little offensive firepower, since the HQs with SP-ART have only 6 or 7 soft attack. Did you use the Airforce a lot?

Nope didn't use any airforce. I think that the German org is just so high and the Soviet GDE so low that any unit could walk all over them. I also outnumbered them in almost every province along the border.

battle2de9.jpg

battle1cv8.jpg

battle3in8.jpg

Dude, that's awesome.