• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love how Isabella totally dissed her trip and Richard in Spanish. That was hilarious. I wonder if the possibility of secret communications in a different language will become an issue later...

Haha! @HistoryDude You made me look! :D

I have to admit, I passed over the Spanish previously because I know virtually nothing of the language. I'm better at French, and that's not saying much. But after you said this I checked it in Google translate and it's hilarious! Great work @coz1! Sorry I didn't go to the trouble the first time.

Isabella's rant in Spanish, followed by her simple, contradictory statement in English, reminds me of a story my wife tells me. She's a nurse practitioner, and sometimes she would have to have a family member ask medical questions of their parent or relative who didn't speak English, and then the family member would relay the response. She said sometimes the non-English-speaking patient would go on for several sentences in their native language in response to a question, and the relative would say simply, "She says no." :D

Rensslaer

• 2Like
Reactions:
Fb-fb:

Heh I share the concern that Edmund may not know what to do with her. She is red hot indeed. But I sense she will be an ally and not an adversary, and so they will work out together a good working arrangement.

Isabella is still somewhat naive and rude it seems. Not polished. Opinionated but not always fully informed. That may actually put her at a disadvantage with Edmund and assist in a balanced arrangement and sharing of many things.

The humor or teasing about the King of Spain was because Spain seems still more a notional concept?

Very interesting!

Rensslaer
Having already introduced Isabella, I didn't want to wait too long to bring her back. This scene seemed perfect and yet again is hopefully written in a very POV form even though Richard gets most of the the lines.

On Spain, see below.

A fine end to a chapter. Some things concluded but more setup and promised for the future.

Charles is playing a very poor hand quite well, while Isabella clearly has much to learn (about the EU IV game mechanics, because that appears to be the only reason Richard isn't putting France out of everyone's misery).

There could be an interesting race developing, will Enrique become King of Spain before Richard is recognised as King of France?
I am really pleased that the scene reads as such because there was a lot of ground to cover and yet I wanted to keep it tight...or as tight as I might. Isabella, Charles, Richard, Henry, Enrique, Norfolk...quite a few folks.

As to game mechanics, you are not wrong. However, I don't think an outright taking of the French throne would have happened like this in RL. If he had stated that as a war goal, maybe. But I tried to suggest within the scene that it would not be that easy. Again - Henry V did not take the throne himself in RL. He made a deal that the previous Charles would give it to him when he died. And then Henry died and it was passed to tiny baby Henry VI.

To be honest, given how reduced France has been, I don’t even think Coz’s England placing them under a personal union would carry too high an aggressive expansion penalty.

My suspicion is that Richard is getting up there in years and Coz isn’t sure he can make France loyal in the remaining time before the crown passes on to Edmund.
Richard isn't that old. But the taking of all of France is a tall order no matter how reduced they have become. More below, but it has more to do with reality than desire.

Oh... Two things.

1) What's up with the flirtatiousness between Norfolk and Isabella? Is that a sign of possible future trouble, or is that merely the game played in noble circles?

2) A gentle reminder that the Q1-2024 AARLand Choice AwAARds are entering their final 2 weeks (or less?) for voting, and not many readers of this thread have voted.

Rensslaer
Norfolk and Isabella...hmm. Could I have some thing in mind there? Maybe ;)

Very much so. Charles is playing very dangerously just to survive. England is very much ascendant.

Is he trying to get killed so England gets wasted fighting the French remnant realms? Interesting strategy...
I can think of no other way that this Charles has lasted this long. But he has.

The Holy father would be delighted to see France die. They've been as big a thorn in the Papacy's side as the HRE, and far less viral to Papal affairs.

As for Scotland, there is nothing the Pope can do about them, and I doubt they'd care enough to try. Not when England is this powerful and has an alliance with castile as well.
I think the point Charles tried to make (since I wrote it for him) was that Europe..."Europe"...would not sit idly by while one kingdom swallowed another so easily and without trouble. The Pope may not care that "France" is gone but another would rise in its place and the balance of power disrupted. So too with the HRE or any other power surrounding these belligerents. In game terms, sure take it. But in RL I don't believe it would be that simple.

No...now I've seen the updated map, taking France piece by piece makes a lot more sense than killing the king and claiming it all right now. England would have to commit to another 50 years of war to get all the indepednants back under their control, and if they don't press those claims, they look weak.

Leaving France technically alive but practically dead is a better idea. Go home, annex Scotland or the lowlands of it, then spend the next few years creeping down to the Mediterranean. Something castile will support too. England getting the british Isles and slowly conquering France, and helping castile take aragon and the rest of iberia, is a nice symbiotic alliance.
I cannot say that will or will not happen. But claiming the throne of France was not a thing I considered at this time for reasons given above.

To call Enrique king of España makes as much sense as calling Richard king of Great Britain.

I'm at your service, my good sir.
I will surely take your word for it (and I may have attached a modern perspective on the writing) but historically Iberia was often called Hispania by the Romans. Sort of the "dig" Richard gives to Enrique. They (or he) may be over educated. ;)

What does Aragon think of Enrique's claim to be King of Spain?

I love how Isabella totally dissed her trip and Richard in Spanish. That was hilarious. I wonder if the possibility of secret communications in a different language will become an issue later...
I cannot speak much for Aragon because they really have not done much in this game. Odd, because usually they are the trouble maker down there.

And I really appreciate you seeing that small part of the post. It was meant to build her as a character and I hope I got the Spanish correct (si o no, @Kurt_Steiner?)

Haha! @HistoryDude You made me look! :D

I have to admit, I passed over the Spanish previously because I know virtually nothing of the language. I'm better at French, and that's not saying much. But after you said this I checked it in Google translate and it's hilarious! Great work @coz1! Sorry I didn't go to the trouble the first time.

Isabella's rant in Spanish, followed by her simple, contradictory statement in English, reminds me of a story my wife tells me. She's a nurse practitioner, and sometimes she would have to have a family member ask medical questions of their parent or relative who didn't speak English, and then the family member would relay the response. She said sometimes the non-English-speaking patient would go on for several sentences in their native language in response to a question, and the relative would say simply, "She says no." :D

Rensslaer
To follow on from the above, I appreciate this small tidbit being recognized. It is part of her character and I have to admit that I was/am not certain that the use of foreign languages works or does not as I have used them. It is a fine line and, of course, I would like to be as exact as I might. It has been a minute since @The Number 9 corrected my French (too long and always appreciated) and as I have mentioned to Kurty, I hope the Spanish is as correct in both language and usage as possible. I believe it adds some verisimilitude, but I could be wrong and I imagine to a foreign (or native of those lands) speaker it may read poorly or wrongly. I like to use it, but it may not be perfected.

To all - So I have finished this chapter and then suddenly my own RL strikes. It happens. I have 8 of the 10 scenes of the next chapter already written and mostly edited, but my personal time has been greatly reduced of late and when I have it, my mind is not quite on writing. Also, the forum is doing a weird thing of late in letting me edit my first post (and some others.) But that is more annoyance than anything else.

This is some great feedback above and thank you to all. I'm not ignoring the forum. Just incredibly busy. And I want to start the next chapter soon but I want to have it in hand before I present. In the meantime, and as @Rensslaer suggested above, we are near to the end to vote for the Q1 AARland Choice AwAARds and voting numbers are low. If you are reading this and enjoy other works, yet have not voted? Please do so. I will say it forever - you should not feel any need to vote for this work. But please do vote for those writAARs and AARs that you enjoy. That encouragement is worth a thousand votes. A hard currency of AARland and greatly desired. It may lead to more writing, AARs and membership and that is how we thrive. Comment and vote. AARland thanks you. :)

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
For what it's worth I heartily approve of using snatches of foreign language in AARs for effect. I've done it myself. It definitely adds to the story, and I would not normally be so lazy as to skip it.

I think a part of me assumed you had done the writers trick of explaining in English what was just said in another language. If I had used my small knowledge of French to parse through the Spanish I would have realized the root words suggested other than what she said in English.

Rensslaer

Reactions:
I should add, for those that might have interest, that I discovered this translator sometime in the past 12 months: DeepL Translate. It has proven to be invaluable and I believe far more accurate than google translate or other such programs in that it supposedly tries to translate in context rather than a straight apples to apples translation. I cannot guarantee that however as I do not speak Spanish or really much French (though I did study French for 5 years back in middle and high school back in what feels these days like the Stone Age.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
On the comeback trail again after some busy RL myself. And I will be voting in the ACAs some time soon …
before it was announced that baths were poured for all.
All this bathing: dangerous to the health, they’ll get the flux! :D
Margaret gingerly opened the chamber door to spy Edmund dozing in a steaming bath
Ooh, matron! Let’s hope the flag was not at half mast. :D
Yet why did she tingle so?!
Ahem. I picked this long ago, you will recall I’m sure. There could be affairs abounding on both sides once the Edmund-Isabella match is made.
Yes...use that head please. ;)
Quite. Good advice, rarely taken. The compass points firmly north and the man will follow.
“Our King has found victory this day. Let us all celebrate!”

End of Chapter 25
Indeed. All but the last little thing of apprehending that woman. Though killing her? I can see the temptation for Richard, but would it be wise diplomatically? House arrest, a nunnery, even the oubliette?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm a little late to the party, but I have to say this is one of your strongest posts yet for wordplay, @coz1. There are so many great lines, including Isabella's doublespeak :). Brilliant. She's definitely a firebrand, which, as suggested, could be good or could be bad. Edmund better be on his toes with her.

Richard isn't that old. But the taking of all of France is a tall order no matter how reduced they have become.

Curious. How old is Richard at this point in time?

• 1Like
Reactions:
More fb-fb:

There could be affairs abounding on both sides once the Edmund-Isabella match is made.
I have a little bit more runway during this period since we've gone far off script with a few of the younger sort. Let's just say I plan to use every stretch of it to make things interesting. ;)

Indeed. All but the last little thing of apprehending that woman. Though killing her? I can see the temptation for Richard, but would it be wise diplomatically? House arrest, a nunnery, even the oubliette?
Margaret is quickly running out of allies and with Henry captured is somewhat of a non-entity right now unless she can find a powerful benefactor. Richard could easily just ignore her, though he won't. It would have been a nice prize but she can't really hurt him at the moment.

I'm a little late to the party, but I have to say this is one of your strongest posts yet for wordplay, @coz1. There are so many great lines, including Isabella's doublespeak :). Brilliant. She's definitely a firebrand, which, as suggested, could be good or could be bad. Edmund better be on his toes with her.
I certainly appreciate that. As mentioned, there was a lot going on in the scene while I was also trying to write in Isabella's POV. Not certain how well I did with it, but it was fun to write.

Curious. How old is Richard at this point in time?
He would be around 53 at this point in the story which actually is fairly old for that time come to think of it, especially with all he's gone through.

• 2Like
Reactions:
He would be around 53 at this point in the story which actually is fairly old for that time come to think of it, especially with all he's gone through.

Yeah, he's done well. The average life span for that era (assuming surviving infant mortality and the Black Death) was around late 40s to early 50s, with a few years less for women. And that's for royalty and the well-to-do. Those who spent their life pounding muck typically didn't make it that far. Of course, there were always outliers.

He's a pretty active man who doesn't over indulge. He could make it to his 60s.

Yeah, he's done well. The average life span for that era (assuming surviving infant mortality and the Black Death) was around late 40s to early 50s, with a few years less for women. And that's for royalty and the well-to-do. Those who spent their life pounding muck typically didn't make it that far. Of course, there were always outliers.
Especially considering that in real life, he lost his head about 3 years ago. ;)

He's a pretty active man who doesn't over indulge. He could make it to his 60s.
True enough. I cannot say that I made a conscious decision to portray him as such, but he seemed the very serious type that did not have time for over indulgence.

To all - I continue to have an issue updating the first post so I can continue the links to each scene and I don't mind saying it is frustrating. That said, if Johan is having such trouble, then I guess I can deal for now. Or I don't know...how updating the forum software? It's not like ducats aren't flowing into certain headquarters located somewhere in Sweden. ;)

And I am nearing the end of the next chapter in the writing, so let's get going on Chapter 26...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 26: Constant Craving

thK1Xr6.jpeg

Anjou, January 1465

Her foot slipped on the boat as she desperately tried to take hold of the railing. The river ran swiftly and she looked down. The water seemed to bleed. She shivered and then thought about young Beaufort. Finding a comforting arm, Margaret gave nod in thanks and looked once more. A last bombard landed as the slight ship drifted from the dock in darkness and she watched as the great city disappeared in the distance. Henry...what would become of him?

To rid herself of this memory, Margaret turned in the bed and pinched her son, “It is time for your studies, mon cher.”

“But, maman...” young Edward whispered softly in his sleep, “...I was dreaming...”

“Imbécile,” she admonished lovingly as she played with his hair, “The dream is over.”

Edward opened his eyes and looked to his mother with curiosity, “Have you truly lost all hope, maman?”

“It is not for you to worry!” she pushed him from the bed rudely and found her robe. Standing and cinching the gown sharply, Margaret moved to pour herself some wine, “You will do as told. And send your tutor to me before his lecture.”

“Yet, maman...” the young would be Prince still questioned.

Margaret shot him a glare, “Le Roi does not question. Le Roi does. Allez-y et apprenez!”

He gathered his robe and shuffled from the chamber as Margaret shifted to the large window overlooking the gardens. Leaning softly to the stone arch, she sighed. Dead. It was all dead. Slight frost covered the landscape and that barren picture matched her own mood. Was she truly dead inside? What worth was it to live in a world like this? Is that what Somerset considered?

“Madam?” Edmund Beaufort looked away as he entered her chamber, “I did see the Prince.”

“What have you come to tell me?” she questioned without turning.

“His tutor awaits, Your Grace,” Edmund gestured as he spied her forlorn form, “And you...might wish some good cheer.”

Margaret turned and smiled as she looked him over. Not as tall as his father, but nearly a match for Henry...Harry. The younger one was actually more handsome, but this one…

“You treat me kindly, my Lord.”

He reddened in embarrassment, “I should do anything, my Lady. All that you may wish.”

“Not now,” she grinned, “Go on and send to me cet homme.”

“As you desire,” Edmund Beaufort answered and called for Doctor Morton.

“Madam?” John Morton announced as they returned.

Margaret found her wine and sat close to the fire, gesturing for him to join her, “Sir, you have served mon fils for many years now, oui?”

“I have, Your Grace,” he gave nod as he sat, “The Prince proves to be an astute student though obstinate in his observances. He may read but has yet to put much of his learning to useful practice.”

“He holds little useful to do,” she arched an annoyed brow.

Dr. Morton bowed his head with a smile, “Certainly, madam. Yet he might press himself more. Of late he spends a great deal of time with your father.”

“Mon Dieu!” Margaret stood with exasperation and shifted to the arch. She leaned to it and stewed for a time before questioning over her shoulder, “How is his health?”

“Your father?” Morton asked, “I...I could not say, Your Grace. My doctorate is ecclesiastical, madam.”

She turned with a harsh eye, “You know what I mean!”

“If you wish the truth,” Dr. Morton raised his head with pride, “Then I shall tell you that he has...lost his mind...as the young medical students call it. Rages against a Pope that has been dead for years. The only wonder that the King of France did not take Anjou for himself years ago is that the King of France may be worse off than your poor demented father. I should think that there is reason that you do not seek him out for yourself, for you should be worse off by it, Your Grace. His spirit is low and yours...yours must not fail.”

Margaret allowed a slight grin, “You prove yourself un patriote, sir.”

“I am a servant to the Crown of England, Your Grace,” Morton gave bow, “And what has occurred to it gives me no little sense of misery. I would serve it always.”

She was surprised when she exhaled and began to sob. So was the tutor. Margaret held to her face with some horror and Dr. Morton stood and offered her a cloth, “Madam...I did not mean...”

“Non...non...” Margaret steadied herself and held her slight hand to his shoulder, “...I do not know what comes over me. Yet it has been eight months...une éternité. I know not how I may go on. How...it...may go on. I am not a fool. Court would always follow le Roi...and le Roi...mon Henri...he is so far away now. As prisoner. If even still he lives? For I know not, nor do you! For all we know...mon fils...cet enfant là...”

“Now, now...” Dr. Morton tried to console her, “...you must not lose hope. His Grace King Henry is a most righteous sovereign and God Almighty would not forsake his most precious son.”

She held to his garments, “Yet He does! And we are here still as prey! This Richard...un diable très visible! He will come for us...for all of us. Even mon père!”

Edmund Beaufort stepped towards the former Queen to steady her but Margaret brushed his hand away, “He will come, I swear!!”

“My Lady Queen...” Morton offered a calming voice, “...you must not be distraught. For I have spoken with my Lord Dorset here, and we think to have a thought on the matter.”

She arched a brow, “You may call him Somerset, s'il vous plaît. The name does matter.”

Dr. Morton bowed to young Beaufort, “To be certain...our Duke of Somerset. Yes.”

Edmund Beaufort was pleased but held to Margaret, “Yet it means no thing, my Lady, if the King does not grant it. And the King will soon be returned to England. We must not lose an influence to there even if we be to exile. Harry...my brother...he spoke to me of this Jasper Tutor...”

“Monsieur Tudor would not help us,” she narrowed her eyes in frustration, “He has tossed me out once already.”

“Yet untrue madam,” Dr. Morton suggested with care, “For he does love you still and says to me so in his letters.”

Margaret turned on him with a flared nostril, “Then where was he when we were starving to Caen?!”

“Desperate for a toehold to Wales, my Lady,” Morton answered with certainty, “Yet he was rudely shut out by that monster Black William.”

She remembered him and shuddered at the thought, “Le bâtard...il devrait pourrir en enfer... brûler pour toujours!”

Edmund Beaufort held to her, “And Tudor remains to you, Your Grace. He is just now to Brittany and would keep true when that day may come. For he loves his brother the King...and he loves you. I promise.”

Margaret lifted her head and showed her famous doe eyes with a slight tear, “Do you love me...Somerset?”

“I do,” Edmund Beaufort was quick to answer, “For my father...for my brothers...all that fought and died for the sake of His Grace the King and your own, my Lady...yes!”

“So certain is he,” Margaret held a dainty hand to his chin yet spoke plainly to Dr. Morton, “Are you?”

The tutor lowered his eyes and answered with firmness, “There is but one way to know the truth of it, madam. One must be in the room. I should hope to live out my days as voice to your fine son, Your Grace. Yet the world resides to Westminster. To the court. And I did not receive nor maintain my position away from it.”

As she questioned his eyes, Edmund suggested, “He knows the men, my Lady. The Archbishop and his brother, the Earl of Essex.”

Margaret still did not look away, “Yet what of Warwick? Canterbury is not a man of power and Bourchier be no thing but a lap dog to York’s sister.”

“Yet they are in, my Lady,” Beaufort replied with sureness, “And it is said to us that Warwick is out.”

“Sortir?” she questioned.

“Indeed, Your Grace,” young Somerset winked, “There remain spies left to us. And Dr. Morton might be another in their circles if you should allow.”

“Yet Edward will have need of you,” Margaret held a hand to the tutor’s shoulder.

Dr. Morton lifted his head proudly, “I should think as Prince, Your Grace. Full and true as he should be.”

Margaret stepped away and lifted wine to her lips. She hesitated to drink it and then shifted to the wide arch as she looked once more upon the barren landscape. A great sigh escaped and she did not turn in answer, “La France... c'est un rêve. L'Angleterre est un cauchemar. I cry in my sleep as I think on it. Though I will not lose my spine...my heart. Le courage.”

“Never should you, Your Grace,” Edmund Beaufort assured her, “You shall see England again!”

She finally turned with a solemn eye, “I shall do so through une rivière de merde. Mais pour mon fils...mon enfant...for that I will swim.”

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
“Never should you, Your Grace,” Edmund Beaufort assured her, “You shall see England again!”
From the Tower of London you can see a bit of England...

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Was she truly dead inside
The more relevant question is, was she ever actually alive on the inside? I'm leaning no.

Speaking of dead on the inside, Jasper Tudor clearly can't have that healthy a brain if he's still trying to be friendly with Margaret. Any possible benefit from those remaining spies is surely out-weighed by the fact everyone hates her and she will drive away more support than she will bring.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wait, Margaret still has spies in England? It looks like Richard needs to do a little... purging.

What pope is the Duke of Anjou ranting against?

• 1Like
Reactions:
If by spies they mean people who will talk to them...and by strong chance she will be queen again they mean not a hope in hell.

The question now is not if Henry gets the throne back, it's how long before all three get killed. And who Warwick would therefore back if he feels he's on the outs with Edmund.

No one with any sense (so anyone not currently being the former queen's lover) thinks she is a viable party anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No one with any sense (so anyone not currently being the former queen's lover) thinks she is a viable party anymore.
There probably is a faction of people who know they are in serious disfavour (or worse) with Richard and so will back any rival, there are also those who still take their oaths seriously and so feel loyalty to Henry and his cause. John Morton from the previous scene is probably a mix of both, and his OTL trajectory proves it is not a stupid hope, he was in exile with Margaret but ended up as Lord Chancellor and Archbishop of Canterbury under Henry VII.

That said conditions are far less favourable here so I agree it is much more likely to end badly, I also agree that if it was just Margaret alone then she would have no support at all. But while Henry and 'his' son still live she can probably find some support by pretending she is advancing their cause, however to be clear Jasper Tudor is still an idiot for backing her. He's not the loyal sort and not in so much trouble with Richard he needs to take such a desperate gamble.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Lord Chancellor and Archbishop of Canterbury under Henry VII.

Yes but that's Chad Tudor and his amazing habit of making former enemies into loyal and competent administrators.

Here, Jasper Tudor is banging his head against the wall and hoping the extremely loyal and consistent former Queen (definitely) will reward him for his treason.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Always good to be reminded there's a pot boiling somewhere... and a woman that wants to put Richard's head in it.

Rensslaer

She finally turned with a solemn eye, “I shall do so through une rivière de merde. Mais pour mon fils...mon enfant...for that I will swim.”

That conjures a pleasant picture :).

Does Margaret truly inspire such loyalty or is it more like faux-loyalty because everyone involved fears the wrath of Richard?

• 1Like
Reactions: