• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Christmas Update
  • 24th December 1944

In the heart of the Presidential palace Tiso and Tuka are in the Presidential bathroom, staring at the bath. It is full of water and there is a live carp swimming around.

"This is a bit of an odd tradition isn't it?" Tuka finally commented.

"Yes. But we must do it, because it's tradition." Tiso replied

"What sort of a reactionary dictatorship would we be if we didn't?" Tuka agreed.

The musing on the nature of Slovak Christmas is interrupted by a messenger.

"Urgent News from the General Staff!"

K5xsm7B.jpg

General Rennie with his severe Highlanders Hat in full effect. Admittedly he is commanding the mighty (and fictitious) 3rd Motorised Infantry [Full of Tanks] Division, but he is nothing if not committed to his sort-of-heritage. General von Gross-Zauche Sctrachwitz has recovered from his running away and might actually stand his ground.

"Somewhat unsporting to attack on Christmas Eve." Tiso complained.

The messenger looked shifty.

"What is it?" Tuka barked.

The messenger remained silent.

"I promise not to throw you in the snake and pencil pit, it is Christmas." Tiso said encouragingly.

"The staff thing the attack began a few days ago, but Jurech didn't notice as he was too busy in Nemours." The messenger gabbled.

Tiso sighed and reached for his hipflask.

25th December 1944

The Slovak Cabinet and General Staff are having their traditional Christmas Banquet, the first courses have gone well and they are waiting for Tiso to kill the Carp. Because tradition.

To the relief of the fish, Tiso is interrupted by the arrival of a messenger.

"Vodca! I bring news from the Foreign Ministry!" He announced.

"Go on then." Tiso chucked the carp back in the bucket.

"Please, please let me out. I've been here for weeks. It is Christmas! Help!" The messenger read.

"No I am not letting Stefan out. He is remaining locked in the Foreign Office for his crimes." Tiso flatly declared.

"There is also good and bad news from the Western Front." The messenger continued.

"Go good first." Tuka suggested. Tiso nodded in agreement.

"General Jurech has triumphed over the enemy in Romilly!"

oeBO8yi.jpg

Jurech is victorious! And achieved a marginally better casualty rate. There must be a catch.

"Excellent news, what is the catch?" Tiso asked.

"Well the enemy may have been somewhat distracted by the other news." General Kubela had been reading the other message.

l97kFas.jpg

France has been liberated. Perhaps this is the decisive Allied mistake the Axis have been waiting for?

"Who liberates a country on Christmas Day?!" Tuka shouted.

"German Intelligence believes it is a cunning plan by the British to wind up the French." von Killinger suggested.

"WHAT?" Tuka just went for it volume wise.

"Well if Liberation Day is the 25th December, which is already a holiday, this means the French won't get another public holiday out of it. Having to do an extra days work will wind them up immensely." von Killinger explained.

Deciding such worries had no place at a Christmas Feast, Tiso took a quick hit from the hipflask and reached for the carp.

---
    Notes:
    Belated Merry Christmas!

Slovakians do apparently keep carp in the bath for the days before Christmas, then kill it and serve it as the main course at Christmas dinner. Because tradition.

General Pip is making his presence felt already on the Western Front as France is officially liberated, this does not bode well for Slovakia. But then nothing bodes well for T&T so this is no real change.

29th December 1944 - Peru
  • 29th December 1944

We return, but not to frozen and forsaken Bratislava. Instead we go to South America where the Allies powers of that continent had banded together to form the Pan American Theatre Headquarters Expeditionary Troops Integrated Command. With that prestigious body due to meet in the New Year there are preparations to make. We begin in Lima where Prime Minister Sanchez had been summoned for a pre-cabinet meeting with the Peruvian President

"Sanchez, how are goes the war?" President Ugarteche asked.

"Not well, the foul monkeys of Ecuador still hold out." Prime Minister Sanchez replied.

"And relations with out Allies?"

"Much better." Sanchez beamed. "We had been concerned that the title of our military command was too long and no-one would use it, but we often hear the British and American call us PATHETIC so it must have caught on."

"Excellent. Is the Cabinet ready?"

Sanchez looked a bit unsure.

"Well as ready as they can be."

Sanchez and Ugarteche walked into the Cabinet Room. It contains a surprising number of skeletons.

"What the hell is going on?" Ugarteche asked.

"It's your cabinet."

"I know that, but who is that?" Ugarteche pointed at a gentlemen in white coat holding a clipboard.

"I am Doctor Montes from 'El Refugio'. Congress is concerned about the cabinet and has asked me to consult." Montes explained.

"I can't imagine why anyone from the national Aslyum for the Incurably Insane would be concerned about any of this." Ugarteche gestured at the cabinet. There was a small *crash* noise as some bones fell off one of the skeletons.

"Shall we begin with the civil side." Sanchez suggested.

"Alberto Ulloa Sotomayor is our Foreign Minister, he is a hard negotiator but these are hard times." Ugarteche pointed out the stern and brutish looking minister.

"I recognise the name, isn't he a Colónidaist poet?" Montes made a brief note.

"He was. But he has made a complete recovery since taking up Maritime and International Law." Ugarteche defended his minister against the foul accusation of being a post-modernist poet.

"I haven't reneged on exoticism for over 10 years." Sotomayor beamed proudly.

"We do find that the complexity of legal language is an excellent treatment for post-modernist poetry." Montes agreed.

"When looking for a Security Minister we were concerned about the possibility of a coup, so we wanted someone utterly trustworthy." Ugarteche explained his thinking as they moved onto the next chair.

"So you went for ex-President Luis Sánchez. A man who launched three separate coup attempts before finally seizing power himself." Montes made some more urgent notes.

"Well he's probably learnt his lesson by now." Sanchez squirmed.

"I find that unlikely, if nothing else he was shot dead back in '33 and that tends to limit your future learning opportunities." Montes carefully explained.

"Exactly! As a long dead corpse he is no position to lead a coup, making him the most trustworthy candidate." Ugarteche beamed widely, prompting further frantic note taking by Montes.

"There are no such issues around our head of Intelligence, Senor Farfan is a vibrant and energetic figure." Sanchez tried to move things along.

"I have often noted those properties in his work." Montes agreed. "But as much as I do admire his music, questions have been raised about the suitability of a composer for the role of Head of Peruvian Espionage."

"He has hidden depths." Ugartecher said enigmatically.

"Shall we move onto the military side." Sanchez tried to hurry things along.

"I of course recognise ex-President General Larrea, but your colleagues are less familiar." Montes greeted the Chief of the Army.

"You don't recognise former President Jimenez." Larrea gestured at the skeleton on his right.

"He has changed since his time in office." Ugartecher nodded considerately.

"He's got a lot thinner for starters." Sanchez agreed.

"Why is your naval opposite number wearing a kilt?" Montes hoped that the Socratic Method may yield some results. And if nothing else humouring them might keep them calm.

"That's not a kilt, it's a dress." Larrea said.

"We were honouring the widows request." Sanchez

After some desperately frantic scribbling Montes looked up.

"So those are the remains of former Prime Minister José de la Riva-Agüero?" He clarified.

"Yes. If you put aside his extreme fascism, transvestism and lack of any naval experience at all he is a perfect Chief of the Navy." Ugartecher said.

"Why is that skeleton wearing a beret?" Montes decided to rush through so he could leave.

"Do you remember back in 1920 the French tried to sell us some second hand Great War aircraft?" Ugartecher asked.

"Vaguely. It all ended in a disaster when one of the French pilots crashed his plane while trying to show off." Montes replied.

Ugartecher pointed at the skeleton.

"So that's the remains of the French pilot?"

"The very same. We made him Chief of the Air Force to serve as a warning to other pilots not to show off." Ugartecher explained.

"I think I've seen enough." Montes snapped his notebook shut. "I must warn you that what I've seen here confirms the worst fears of Congress."

Ugartecher and Sanchez exchange a worried look and then nodded.

"Of course doctor, that is between yourself and Congress." Ugartecher said.

"On an entirely unrelated point, you may have noticed there was no armaments minister in the cabinet. We have been reviewing various candidates, but none have measured up." Sanchez explained while walking to the drinks cabinet.

"However we have been impressed by your grasp of the problems and piercing intellect, so we'd like to offer you the role." Ugartecher told the shocked doctor.

"Make no mistake, this will be an arduous role. The lucrative salary is barely adequate re-numeration for the work involved. So much travel and fine dining with foreign armaments company." Sanchez offered a glass containing a generous shot of well aged whisky to the doctor.

"Worse we are required to 'take care' of the salary of those cabinet members who are unable to collect their money." Ugartecher sighed at the thought of that onerous burden..

"Would I be allowed to divert far too much of the military budget towards Submarines?" Montes asked the decisive question.

"Of course!" Ugartecher beamed. "Welcome aboard."

"Now about your report." Sanchez asked.

"As I said, it will confirms the worst fears of Congress. The fear that Congress are wasting everyone's time complaining about the President and are basically unfit for power." Montes declared.

"So you would support me scrapping the elections?" Ugartecher asked.

"Of course! Why take the risk that the electorate would break up such a perfect team." Montes enthusiastically nodded.

A2Id7ak.jpg

The Peruvian Government in all it's magnificence. A good 60% of them are even alive, what more could any country ask for.

--
    Notes:
    All genuine ministers. I may have picked the best (worst) choices for a couple of them, but all legitimate options for Peru.

Not quite sure how Peru ended up a Right-Wing dictatorship, at the time it was a mostly functioning democracy and would be until the 1962 Coup. Bonus incompetence - at this point Paradox claim Peru is Paternal Autocrat (the light grey one) under the Partido Civil. The Partido Civil was (a) anti-military, centre-left (ish) and (b) dissolved and declared illegal in 1930. Double Bonus Incompetence - The President's party Acción Popular was only founded in 1956. Paradox did at least get the names of the HoG and HoS correct.

For the rest;
    • Paul de Beaudiez - French airforce captain. Part of France's (failed) mission to sell aircraft and training skills to Peru, Crashed in Peru in 1920 in a Caudron G.III he was attempting to show off in.
    • José de la Riva-Agüero - Former Prime Minister of Peru. Went utterly fascist Transvestite. Died in October 1944
    • Óscar Raymundo Benavides Larrea - Ex-president of Peru and former General. Decent enough choice as CoA, except for the whole ex-President issue
    • Gustavo Jimenez - Temporary President of the Preuvian Junta for a week before handing over to Sanchze. Died in 1933
    • Benigno Ballón Farfán - Genuinely famous Preuvian Composer who was alive at the time. His works were declared part of the "Cultural Patrimony of the Nation of Peru". Never worked in intelligence or the government in any capacity
    • Luis Miguel Sánchez Cerro - Joined his first coup when only 15 (lost three fingers on his hand grabbing a firing machine gun, which he turned against loyalist troops). Second coup 7 years later in 1921, also got shot but this coup was unsuccessful. Joined the Spanish Foreign Legion (got shot). Organised 3rd coup in 1930 against the dictatorship of the time and won. Then got kicked out by the rest of the Junta after 6 months and went into exile. Junta then organised fresh elections a couple of years later, which Sanchez (maybe) won. Then got assassinated in 1933. Very interesting chap. Very dead, even in 1936
    • Alberto Ulloa Sotomayor - Peruvian Jurist and world renowned expert in International Law. Was indeed a post-modernist poet in his youth, but gave it up to study the law. Was legitimately Peruvian Foreign Minister at various points. Believed sincerely in the primacy of law and the very opposite of an iron-fisted brute though..
    • Oscar Trelles Montes - Peruvian Doctor who genuintely ran a mental hospital called the "asylum of incurables". In fairness was Minister for Health in 1945 and did get other government jobs in the 1960s. Actual view on Submarines, unknown.
    One down, three to go.

29th December 1944 - Brazil
  • 29th December 1944 - Brazil

Leaving behind the Land of the Dead Presidents we move onto sultry Rio de Janeiro where the exceptionally confused President Vargas is attempting to get a grip on the the Brazilian War Effort. To aid him in this almost heroically difficult task he has ordered the cabinet assembled.

"Comrades..." He attempted to start the meeting, before being interrupted by angry grumbling.

"Very well the revolution hasn't gone quite as I intended." Vargas sulkily conceded the point. "Gentlemen, what news from the European theatre?"

There was some mumbling that sounded like "Not much."

"Surely the Brazilian Expeditionary Force has been engaged in heroic deeds? Fighting alongside the Allies in the liberation of France and the drive into the dark heart of Germany?" Vargas encouraged them.

There is an awkward silence.

"They haven't actually left Brazil yet have they?" Vargas growled at his generals.

"Not as such." The Chief of Staff, General Cavalcanti, confessed.

"But we've been at war with the Axis since August 1942! Surely we are ready by now?" Vargas was too confused to be angry.

"Well you remember all the people saying 'It's more likely for a snake to smoke a pipe, than for the Brazilian Expeditionary Force to go the front and fight'"? Cavalcanti asked.

"I do recall there were some wreckers and splitters voicing such seditious treason. Before we dealt with them." Vargas replied as Security Minister Cassiano smiled as if recalling a happy memory.

"Well it turns out they were right." To his credit Cavalcanti managed to say that with a mostly straight face.

"That is unacceptable! What does the Chief of Army have to say about this?" Vargas turned and stared at General de Mendonca.

There was another, longer, awkward silence.

"He hasn't got anything to say Presidente." Cavalcanti broke the silence in a soft voice.

"Why not?" Vargas raged.

"Because he's still dead. He has been for years." Cavalcanti continued in his careful tones.

"Oh. Yes. I remember now." Vargas subsided.

"And even when he was alive he wasn't a soldier, he was a regional mayor and failed revolutionary." Cavalcanti continued.

"I wanted his revolutionary experience!" Vargas grasped at that straw.

"He was a monarchist revolutionary trying to put Emperor Pedro back on the Imperial throne." Cavalcanti warmed to his theme.

"Look, there's no need to rub it in." Vargas complained.

To break the tense silence General Filho stood up and made an announcement.

"I am delighted to confirm that the Brazilian Air Force has succeed in it's mission. We have prevented the Axis from carpet bombing Rio flat and forcing us to surrender." Filho proudly told the room.

"Have any of the Axis even tried to bomb any Brazilian territory?" Vargas asked.

"No. We think this is proof of how effectively we have deterred them, they are too afraid of our mighty P-36 interceptors to even risk attacking."

"And you are sure that fear of our second hand, obsolete fighters is the main reason? Not the fact there is no enemy heavy bomber within 5,000 miles?" Vargas probed further.

"That may be a contributory factor, but the staff are sure it's mostly fear." General Filho confirmed.

With the twin motivations of both changing the subject and finishing the military briefing, Vargas turned to the naval representative.

"How stands the fleet?" He asked.

"I've no idea." Padilha answered.

"That is unacceptable!" Vargas raged as Padilha cowered before him. "How can you come to cabinet without any idea of the status of our fleet?"

"Mr President please stop, you are frightening the boy." Cavalcanti intervened.

"He is Chief of the Navy and has his duty." Vargas drew himself up and looked down at Padilha.

"He is also a 16 year old philosophy student who has never even been to sea."

"How on earth did he end up Chief of the Navy?" Vargas screamed.

"You felt sorry for him after you had the political police arrest and 'question' his father."

"I did do that didn't I?" Vargas subsided and slumped back into his chair.

Padilha had pulled himself together and stood up to make his statement.

"I did ask Supreme Grand High Admiral Guilhem if it was possible for the Navy to assist in the Ecuadorian war." He sniffled.

There was a silence as the assembled cabinet removed their hats, showing due reverence to the mention of Guilhem's name.

"He said it was a good idea and I was a clever boy for trying to help, but there were a few small issues preventing the navy helping the fighting around Quito. (a) Our battleships cannot be risked so far from their port defence duties, (b) Even if they could they are far too knackered to make it that far because (c) It's too far away for the fleet to even reach. Also (d) Quito is 2800m above sea level and (e) it's 170km inland. So while he stands ever ready to fight for Brazil, the navy cannot assist in the Ecuadorian War."

"The Supreme Grand High Admiral's wisdom has been heard! His word is Brazilian maritime law." Cavalcanti announced as the room burst into appreciative applause.

"This inaction cannot be popular with our Allies, surely there have been diplomatic consequences?" Vargas turned to the Foreign Minster's chair.

Sadly the chair was unoccupied, instead there was a piece of paper pinned to the chair back with a knife. After a gesture from Vargas, General Cavalcanti extracted the knife and passed the paper to the President.

6ND3qDk.jpg

A fine example of 'Concrete Poerty', the post-modernist school which held that poetry should not be held back by hide-bound conventions of typography, grammar or scansion. Or sense. Or the requirement to be any good. In any event the author's intentions here are clear. Apparently.

"What is the meaning of this?" Vargas yelled at his cabinet.

"If you have to explain it, then it isn't art." Security Minister Cassiano languidly smiled at his President.

"Where is Foreign Minster Salgado?" Vargas demanded.

"Life here in Rio didn't agree with him." Cassiano picked up the dagger and turned it over in his hands.

"So he returned to exile in Portugal?"

"Exile... Yes, I suppose you could describe what happened to him that way." The smile returned to Cassiano's face and he started to clean his nails with the point of the dagger.

Deciding that discretion was the better part of valour, Vargas decided to wrap up the meeting.

"That leaves only finance. I suppose this inaction has at least been welcomed by the Treasury!" He tried to lighten the mood.

There was only silence from the test tube carefully placed on the Finance Minister's chair.

"Mr President." Cavalcanti broke the silence. "I'm afraid Senor Neto still hasn't been conceived yet."

For a moment the cabinet thought the President might hold it together, but then with a mighty scream he gave in and burst into tears.

5TFXapY.jpg

The Brazilian Government in all it's confused magnificence.

--
    Notes:
    Lets begin at the top here. Vargas was indeed combined HoS and HoG, but it's mostly down-hill from there. I fully sympathise with the difficulty of slotting Vargas into a neat Left-Right spectrum, while most people don't fit he is an especially tricky case. But that is no excuse for making him Left Wing Radical and Estado Novo (New State) Paternal Autocrat. Estado Novo basically was Vargas, he wrote the constitution and was it's only leader - they should be identical.

Moving down Plinio Salgado was in Exile in Portugal in 1944 and had been since mid-1939. A leading "Integralist" (the slightly odd Brazilian flavour of fascism, represented here by the Ação Integralista Brasileira party) he had been exiled for leading coups against Vargas and his party, along with all the other political parties, outlawed. He only returned in 1945 after Vargas had been deposed, so an odd choice.

Waldemar Costa Neto was born in 1949. He is still with us and is a Republic Party politician, no obvious military links that I can see.

Riccardo Cassiano - Was indeed a moderately famous poet who did produce 'Concrete Poerty' in his career, along with a wide variety of other styles including a "mystical nationalist journal" which just sounds delightful. He was at least alive at the right date, even if he never entered politics or the secret service.

Newtwon Cavalcanti - Was a real general, plausible choice. OTL was a leading figure in the coup that over-threw Vargas and the Estato Novo, but then most people were involved in that. Did well in the later military dictatorship. This is as good a place as any to say the whole "Cobras are smoking" thing was OTL so the Brazilian Expeditionary Force got a natty shoulder patch with a cobra smoking a pipe. Alas here they do not as they are still aimlessly marching along the Brazilian coastline.

Tomas De Mendonca - Was indeed a long dead Brazilian monarchist. He has a street named after him in random bit of Brazil which makes it damn hard to find out much about him (all the search results were about the road). He was a state mayor once and was somehow involved in a monarchist coup, but as he still got a road named after him it can't have gone that badly for him. Never in the army and also died in 1920s best I can tell.

Tarcisio Padilha - Born in 1928 he became a philosopher, professor and judge in Brazil. Nothing at all to do with the Navy at any point. The funky outfit that he and Cassiano are wearing is the formal gala gilded uniform of the Academia Brasileira de Letras, the Brazilian Academy of Letters - think the Académie Française, which it was copied from inspired by, even down to having 40 members all called Immortals.

Mourao Filho - Army General that took part in '38 coup. In OTL was fighting with the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, no obvious signs of plane related work in his career and definitely nothing on heavy bombers. The Brazilian air force was not a mighty force.

Finally we come to Admiral Henrique Aristides Guilhem. He genuinely was head of the Brazilian navy at the time and had held most of the other important roles in the navy at various points. Post-war he was promoted to Admiral-of-the-Fleet in 1951 and Grand Admiral in 1958. Nothing exciting there, except he died in 1949. The Brazilian navy gave him two post-mortem promotions, the last one being to their highest 'wartime only' rank. Clearly they thought a lot of him, something I thought worth acknowledging.

Intermission - Novisssima!
  • Another update, and this one most certainly topped the Peruvian cabinet in hilarity and research failures!

This has my nomination for best line of the update. Possibly even a top ten entry for the AAR at large! :p
    I was exceptionally pleased with that line. Casting aside self-depreciation and false modesty, I do think this South American madness has inspired some of my best work.

In light of this, I'm frankly shocked that Paradox's "research" team didn't just use one of the first three Google Image search results of the road in question for his minister portrait. Clearly someone in that department was making a case for overtime pay that week.

Posthumous promotions? I believe we've solved the mystery, then, the Paradox "research" team is simply composed of the same people who used to work in the Brazilian military promotions department! :p
    As I've said before, there is an incredible tale to be told about this. It needs one of those long-form, detailed research, dozens of interviews type articles that certain US publications seem to fetishise.

I hereby move for an example of this delightful-sounding work to be included in the next update, at the authAAR's convenience as always.
    I considered it, but it is utterly barking. Here is a brief extract;

Ugh! Enough of Orpheus, Minervas, Ulysses, Olympo! Enough of pornographic nudity licked "d'aprés nature" by the servile language of academic brushes! Enough of lost wax casting in statue making! The liberation of the depraved slaves, of the pariah-scribes, has already been challenged. The gasoline engine crushed Pegasus's paw. Photochromia won by a hundred cuts the academy. Those who make the mask of the dead gave a fatal blow to the canvas!

That's from the wonderful people at the International Center for the Arts of the Americas who have digitisied a random chunk of Novisssima and then made it available to everyone for free. (Dodgy translation from Portuguese to English by Google Translate with me 'helping').

Never let it be said I do not put needless amount of research into utterly unimportant details.

Well at least one country had the sense to avoid that dumpster fire

Hmm. Bit spotty memory there.

Honesty is a fine attribute for a politician.

Oh dear. Well this is not so much a funny cabinet as it is a crap one full of dodgy 'research' and swedish apathy.
    Apathy is entirely the wrong word, far too much effort was put into this in finding real people. True apathy would be generic invented names and lazy sketches. You know, like HOI4.

At least this government is a fine example of cross-party cooporation, including members from different sides of the political spectrum. Thats something, right ..?
    Members from the two extremes certainly. And whatever you may think of Cassiano as a poet, you cannot but admire how efficiently he has wiped out every slightly moderate political party in Brazil.

I'm quite sure both Peruvian and Brasilian governments are a fine example of an Alien Invasion Badly Camouflaged.
    I was looking if there was TV trope on that. But if you search the phrase the top result was an article about Iranian State TV claiming the US government was run by "Tall, White" aliens. A description that doesn't describe either Trump or Obama, so perhaps the theory needs some work?

At least with someone who hasn't been born yet there's a hope that they could do a better job
    Excellent straw clutching. Have you considered a job in the Slovak Propaganda department?

Many witty little one-liners in there: the amusement they generated for me combined with the humorous highlighting of (shock; horror) risible research failures almost (but not quite) made up for the introduction of ‘Concrete Poerty’ into the narrative. Such heinous barbarity is surely proscribed by the Geneva Conventions and must at least be clearly in breach of the spirit (if not the letter, perhaps) of the Forum Guidelines! :mad::D I may well be haunted by that traumatic experience for years to come. :p *pop, glug glug GLUG, slump*
    If nothing else Paradox has introduced me to many new and terrible forms of poetry. You can see why they don't make a feature of this in their advertising for their games.

Since I haven't read any updates here since last August, I have dutifully caught up on them. In doing so, several things stuck out at me.
    I am delighted you have caught up and enjoyed those moments. :D

No, in reality they don't need to be conprehendable and so routinely don't bother. If you do come across such a chap in real life and he starts speaking like this, he's probably trying to say no or yes, or very little at all.
    You are clearly hanging around with a very different crowd from me. The correct use of such language is to communicate a great deal, but only to those who are in your group/clique. Strangers and outsiders are left baffled or with the impression that nothing of import has occurred, when in fact it has but it was not for their attention.

The stars appear to be aligning, so this very weekend I intend that we return to complete the next leg of our South American detour. It's mostly written and I believe I have done justice to the 'work' Paradox put into this next nation.

29th December 1944 - Colombia
  • 29th December 1944 - Colombia

We take our leave from the sobbing President Vargas and head north, across the border and up the Colombian Plateau to the climatically pleasant capital city of Bogota. Here we find President Pumarejo preparing for the next meeting of his war cabinet.

Pumarejo and his civilian ministers had gathered in preparation for the latest briefing from the armed forces. Seeing they were as ready as they would ever be, he gestured at the doorman to let the military delegation into the room. The four men marched in and saluted.

"The conflict with Ecuador does not appear to be going well." Pumarejo decided to get straight to the important issue. "Not only has the PATHETIC alliance failed to take Quito, but the Ecuadoreans have pushed back and recaptured Ibarra. They've got a coastline back again."

"The previous plan was not optimal." The military men chanted in unison. "That error has been corrected."

"You have a new plan?" Pumarejo asked excitedly.

"Yes. We will form our tanks into a mighty armoured spearhead, this will break through the Ecuadorian defences and allow our massed hordes of infantry to overwhelm the enemy. Meanwhile the fleet, supported by the maritime squadrons of the air force, will force the Ecuadorian navy into a decisive battle and clear them from the coast."

The cabinet contemplated this audacious scheme.

"I have a few questions." Intelligence Minister Londono Y Londono broke the silence.

The military team turned to face him.

"Our navy consists of two rather old ex-Portugese destoryers and some river gunboats, correct?"

"Yes."

"And we don't actually have any naval bombers?"

"No."

"Or the technology to build any? Or indeed any knowledge of powered flight."

"You are correct. But all of this has been accounted for." The men chanted.

"How?"

"Ecuador does not have a navy, so our fleet will not need aerial assistance to win the decisive naval battle."

There was a brief baffled pause, then Londono Y Londono continued his questioning.

"Do we have any armoured divisions or tanks?"

"No."

"Do we have the technology to build even the most primitive tanks?"

"No."

"Do tanks, assuming we somehow acquired some, even work very well up mountains?"

"Mountains are irrelevant. The Ecuadorian capital is on a hill."

"Quito is almost 10,000ft up. It's the second highest capital city in the world." Londono Y Londono added some geography.

"It is on a hill." The military men stuck to their line.

There was another pause.

"But you are sure this is the best plan?" President Pumarejo asked.

"We are of one mind." The four voices replied in unison.

Pumarejo sighed and dismissed the military men.

"When you said you intended to appoint one man to head up our armed forces, I had thought it would be one person doing four jobs. Not whatever they are." Londono Y Londono took a long drink as he explained his concerns to his President.

9M1OTcM.jpg

The Colombian Government and the leadership of it's armed forces. It's quite the sight.

"There's nothing wrong with the Acevedo Brothers. They are perfectly normal Quadruplets who just happen to agree on everything and like close harmony talking." Pumarejo huffed.

"That's not what I have heard." Londono Y Londono raised his eyebrows.

"You shouldn't listen to those foul Venezuelan rumours." Pumarejo jabbed his finger angrily.

"Finding out what foreigners think and listening to their talk is pretty much my job. In any case are you sure they are the best person/people/abomination for the job?"

Pumarejo glared at his minster.

"Have you seen the tiny talent pool I have to work with?" He gestured down the cabinet table at Foreign Corpse Herrera and Cadaver for Security Hernandez. "I can't even replace those two with living people."

Londono Y Londono looked at the skeletons, before reluctantly accepting a good point, well made.

"But you can't seriously support that plan?" He asked.

"The alternative is Pinzon's scheme." Pumarejo asked the Armaments Minster to begin.

Pinzon pulled out his crayons and excitedly scribbled his scheme for a fleet of jet powered aircraft and Colombian scientists leading the world in mastering the power of the Atom.

"Is he alright? That's an incredibly expensive, impractical and ultimately useless scheme that is probably doomed to failure." Londono Y Londono asked with concern in his voice.

"He is an architect." Pumarejo gently explained.

"Ahh." Londono Y Londono nodded in understanding.

--
    Notes:
    Paradox do think Quito is a hill province. There are mountain provinces nearby, just not Quito.

Fernando Londono Y Londono - Lawyer and diplomat. OTL he was Minister for Foreign Affairs in 1945 and later on would be Minister for War and then Minister for Justice and the Interior, so a decent fit. Also turns up as a general, which is maybe less acceptable. But then he was Minister for War so I will magnanimously allow it.

Humberto Pinzon. - Architect with zero scientific and engineering training (but I repeat myself). Had a full life, he was head of the Colombian Olympic Committee in the 1940s and then again in the 1970s. Loved volleyball and basket ball. Views on a speculative Colombian Nuclear programme - unclear.

Enrique Herrera was formerly the President of Colombia, and formerly a foreign minister so is at least well qualified. He seems a decent enough chap bar the minor detail that he died in 1937.

Benito Hernandez (Bustos) - Former War Minister and Ambassador from Colombia to the UK. Not obviously security related, did get a bridge named after him, also died in a plane crash in 1940.

The very busy Luis Acevedo. He was a colonel in the Colombian Army about this time and was heavily involved in founding the Colombian Red Cross. There was also a pioneering aviator called Luis Acevedo, but he was (a) Chilean and (b) Died in 1912. Navy wise there is nothing to link the name to the Colombian Navy, so of course Paradox have made him an Admiral in the game, he starts out leading the Colombian fleet.

29th December 1944 - Bolivia
  • 29th December 1944 - Bolivia

As President Pumarejo prepares a traditional Colombian 'pick-me-up' to help Londono Y Londono recover (a nice Enyucado cake and some strong coffee from the highlands), we depart Bogoata and travel further South, rising up to the Andes until we reach the highest capital on earth - La Paz.

We arrive and see President Gualberto Villarroel receiving an unexpected visitor, the head of the Supreme Court of Bolivia had demanded an urgent meeting and the President had considered it wise to agree. After the usual pleasantries, Tomás Monje revealed the reason for his visit.

"The National Assembly have grave concerns about some of your recent decisions." Monje said.

"Why could they not bring such concerns to me themselves?" Villarroel asked.

"They were concerned you would kill them and dump their bodies from the heights of Death Road."

"That's only for anti-people traitors." Villarroel explained.

"Like those opposition leaders." Monje suggested.

"Surely they don't count, they all willing chose to jump off."

"Because it was that or be shot."

"Exactly." Villarroel nodded.

"And then there were all those trade union leaders?" Monje reminded him.

"Well I let them form a miner's union and then they went on strike against me. How was I supposed to react to such ingratitude?" Villarroel huffed.

"But you can see why people might be anxious about questioning you?"

"Maybe." Villarroel grudgingly conceded. "So what are these concerns?"

"To begin with, your choice of Foreign Minister." Monje read the first item from the list.

"There is nothing wrong with Rafael Franco, he is eminently qualified!"

"He's a Paraguayan Colonel who seized power in a military coup and was so hated his own army launched another coup to force him into exile less than a year later."

"That proves his experience of high office and skills at rapidly arranging foreign travel."

"He's still in exile in Uruguay!" Monje raised his voice.

"I don't see the problem, he's a foreigner living in a foreign country. How could he be more qualified to be foreign minister?"

Monje sighed and moved on.

"There is the matter of Moritz Hochschild."

"The man is a traitor, the worst of the tin barons, he has openly called for a revolution and plotted against the me and my government." Villarroel declared. "He was pardoned by my predecessor after the last plot, but he has thrown that kindness back in our face. I will not be swayed by any petitions or request for leniency, he must face justice."

"If that is all true, why have you made him Minister of Security?"

Villarroel looked around before leaning in towards the baffled judge.

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." He whispered, before collapsing back into his chair.

"Even if they traitors you have condemned to death?"

"Especially if they are traitors you have condemned to death." Villarroel nodded.

Monje looked down the list.

"The Assembly has doubts about your choice of commanders for the Bolivian armed forces."

Villarroel bristled. "I have chosen the very best men available, I have total confidence in their unparalleled ability."

"You brought back that German idiot Hans Kundt." Monje shook an accusatory finger. "We sacked him during the Chaco War because all he knew how to do were frontal assaults, and he couldn't even do them very well."

"He's learnt from the experience." Villarroel shifted in his seat. "I'm sure he will work well with Chief of Staff Busch as they prosecute the war with the Ecuadorian devils."

"Thank you for raising my next point, why did you appoint one of our unstable, multiple coup launching, ex-Presidents as Chief of Staff?"

"I believe Busch and Kundt have a great deal in common and will form an excellent team."

"A great deal in common? Like the fact they are both dead?" Monje glared.

"Yes! And they both died in 1939, so that's another thing they have in common." Villarroel beamed.

"You are just trying to stop anyone in the Army getting a higher rank than you. Your plan is to keep appointing corpses so you don't have to promote any living people." Monje accused.

The former Major Villarroel looked shifty and tried to change the subject.

"Surely they can have no complaint about the other armed forces appointments? David Toro will make a magnificent Chief of the Air Force."

"Your issuing of a pardon to ex-President Toro is not popular, he was exiled to Chile for a reason. In addition his only experience of aircraft is flying into exile under pain of death" Monje admonished.

"I haven't pardoned Toro for his part in his second coup."

"So you have appointed a Chief of the Air Force who isn't allowed into the country?" Monje called on his years of legal experience to avoid putting his head in his hands.

"The edict of exile remains valid, he still can't step foot onto Bolivian soil." Villarroel looked smug.

A look of horrified realisation crossed over Monje's face.

"My god. You are going to claim that flying doesn't count as 'stepping foot' aren't you? So as long as he stays in the air he's still technically in exile."

"It is an ingenious loophole." Villarroel contrived to look even smugger.

"That doesn't explain the Chief of the Navy." Monje hurriedly changed the subject.

"We don't have a navy or even a coastline, the Chief of the Navy is a honorary post, a sinecure." Villarroel waved his hand dismissively.

"That is all true, so why have you given it to a mining baron everyone hates?"

"While we advance the cause of Military Socialism to reform Bolivia, we must be pragmatic and include all views, including the mining interests, in the government." Villarroel tried, and failed, to look statesman like.

"Yes but Felix Aromyao died in 1929. You've given a job to a corpse. Again." Monje accused.

"He has been quiet in cabinet meetings, I thought he was just annoyed because I'd spelt his name wrong." Villarroel had the decency to look mildly embarrassed.

"Speaking of quiet people, the latest intelligence briefing to the Assembly was a disaster and they are requesting you replace the Intelligence Minister."

"I realised he would not be a popular choice, but I believe Bolivia needs a spy who is a master of industry. We depend upon Tin and so our efforts must be focused upon understanding how the world's factories stand so we can plan and prepare for changes in demand for Tin. Sadly I could not find a local candidate who could be trusted, certainly the Tin Barons had the knowledge but few would say they had the patriotism." Villarroel paused and drew himself up. "So I was again forced to look further afield to find a man with the experience, knowledge and reliability the position requires."

"That's all well and good, but it doesn't justify appointing a 19th Century Mexican diplomat."

Villarroel glared at the judge.

"You can't even bring his skeleton to cabinet, because he was exiled and buried in Paris. Why do you keep appointing people who have been exiled?" Monje asked suspiciously.

"I feel their desire for forgiveness will motivate them to do well." Villarroel replied. "It is never too late to seek redemption."

"Well it is too late for the dead." Monje flatly stated.

"Possibly some of them have left their bid for redemption a tad too late." Villarroel conceded. "Is that all?"

"There is just this letter of complaint from the Holy See." Monje passed over the crisp vellum.

"What problem can the Pope have with my cabinet?"

"The Holy Father is concerned that it is not appropriate for Archbishop Pierini to serve as your Armaments Minister."

"He is impressively obsessed with Tanks." Villarroel argued.

"If he was obsessed with tanks, which the Vatican dispute, that stopped in 1939."

"Because he saw the horrors of war as German Panzer threatened to end Christian Civilisation?" Villarroel asked.

"No, because he died." Monje explained slowly.

"I looked long and hard to find a tank obsessed archbishop to serve in my cabinet. So if you, or the Pope, think I'm going to let a little thing like him being long dead stop me you will be sorely disappointed." Villarroel said haughtily.

The two men stared at each other.

"I must warn you, if you keep this up someone is going to launch a coup." Monje threatened.

"This is Bolivia, there is always a coup!" Villaroel laughed. "Besides most of the country is distracted with the war with Ecuador, so I think I'll get away with it."

Monje left the laughing President and, head bowed, walked out of the office.

XPOldQN.jpg

The impressively unique Bolivian Cabinet in all it's majesty.

--
    Notes:
    Where to begin with this one?

Gualberto Villarroel was indeed the 46th President of Bolivia and, best I can tell, also Head of the Government (constitutionally things are unclear as will become clear). He was from the proud tradition of "progressive Military-Socialist dictatorships" which Bolivia enjoyed for much of the early 20th century. As was traditional he was a junior(ish) officer who came to power in a coup. Like all Military-Socialist he as a bit odd, mixing progressive reforms on pensions, unions and workers rights with murdering anyone who looked at them funny or tried to use those rights in ways they didn't like. Got a bit murderously unhinged towards the end and was deposed in a coup before being strung up from a lamp post Mussolini style.

Yungas Road, also known as Death Road, was a stupidly dangerous road through the Bolivian mountains which killed 200/300 Bolivians a year due to it being fundamentally unsafe. You may, or may not, have seen it in the Top Gear Bolivian Special a few years back.

Bolivia was the land of coups at the time. There were successful coups in 1930, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1943, 1946, 1951 and 1952. Plus half a dozen more Unsuccessful ones. Most President tried to legitimise themselves and there were a lot of Constitutional Conventions/Assembles, so it was all a bit of a mess. This helps explains why there are so many ex-Presidents around the place. Speaking of which Thomas Monje was indeed head of the Bolivian Supreme Court and would be the next full-time President after Villarroel, appointed solely as someone who was trusted to arrange some elections before vanishing back into obscurity. Given Villarroel did like killing opponents, Monje seemed one of the few who could have that sort of chat with him, Monje did manage to die of old age and not be exiled - impressive achievements for a Bolivian President of the time.

Onto the cabinet;
    • Rafael Franco Rafel - ex-President of Paraguay who seized power in a coup in 1936. Another Military-Socialist, so lots of money spent on re-building the armed forces, but also extra holiday, union rights, nationalisations and building hospitals. The taxes to pay for this were not popular, so there was a counter-coup in 1937 and he spent the next decade in exile in Uruguay. An odd choice.
    • Moritz Hochschild - Tin Mining Baron and the Bolivian Schindler for all his work on helping to save Jews, paid for ~10,000 odd to escape Germany and helped them set up a new life in Bolivia. Sadly he did this while utterly screwing over his Bolivian workers and threatening to fund coups against any Bolivian government that tried to make him treat them fairly or pay any tax. Got arrested and sentenced to death twice for this (1939 and 1944), after being conditionally pardoned the second time he fled Bolivia never to return. Again, odd choice for Security Minister as at this point he is sitting on Bolivian Death Row and officially awaiting execution.
    • German Busch - Colonel in the Bolivian Army and hero of the Chaco War (he won his bits, even as the rest of the Army lost the wider war badly.) Launched three separate coups, including one during the Chaco war, was President twice - first time was only for a few days as he handed over to David Toro, then a year later realised Toro was a liability so couped him and became President. 'Tempestuous and volatile' according to wiki. Utterly unhinged would also apply. Committed suicide in 1939 while President as he was enraged and depressed that a country was harder to reform than an army unit.
    • Hans Kundt - German Colonel who got sent to Bolivia as part of a training mission. Bolivia liked him so called him back after WW1 to head up their army and be Minster of War. Sadly he was utterly useless. He was a decent staff officer who cared for his men, but he was crap at logistics, contemptuous of aerial recon (the one edge Bolivia actually had in the Chaco War), awful at strategy and beyond terrible at tactics, having seemingly learnt nothing at all during WW1 about the limits of front assaults against dug in machine guns. Sacked and deported from Bolivia in 1933, he died in 1939. So even if they wanted him back (and they never would) he was not available.
    • Felix Aromyao (Paradox added an extra 'R' to his name, just to make researching him that bit harder) - Tin and Bismuth mining magnate. Just as influential and unpleasant as Hochschild, but without the redeeming features. Died in 1929 and not an obvious choice for Chief of the Navy, but then this is Bolivia so there are no historical option. In Paradox's defence he did like doing things off-shore (like putting his companies there to avoid tax) so there is that link.
    • David Toro Ruilova - Another ex-President and another Colonel, a pattern is developing. As discussed above he was put into power by Busch in the1936 coup, then kicked out by Busch in the 1937 coup. Nationalised all the Standard Oil interests in the country (not much, but it was the thought that counted), but also had to cope with the country being bankrupt after losing the Chaco War. Couldn't reform fast enough for his allies, but was moving too fast for the previous elite, so everyone hated him. He attempted a counter coup against Buch in 1938, but this failed (because everyone hated him) and so he was exiled to Chile never to return. Zero air force experience, if any more reason were needed to declare him an odd choice.
    • José María Gutiérrez - Mexican Diplomat who died in 1867. That is absolutely his photo Paradox have used. A fanatical monarchist he was kicked out of Mexico in 1840, but didn't let that slow him down. Eventually he became the link man between the Mexican conservatives and Napoleon III, being instrumental in making Maximilian Hapsburg the Mexican Emperor. This did not go well, which sums up Gutiérrez's career. A baffling choice even if he had been Foreign Minster. As an Industrial Specialist Minister of Intelligence.. I lack the words to describe his total lack of suitability.
    • Francesco Pierini - Absolutely my favourite. Italian who ended up Archbishop of Sucre. Died in 1939, like so many of Bolivia's ministers. Views on tanks and mobile warfare doctrine - unclear. But if you can't appreciate the idea of a zombie Italian Archbishop muttering "Taaaaanks" in a Bolivian cabinet meeting, this probably isn't the AAR for you.
    The notes are only just shorter than the actual update, and the entire thing is a bit of a beast. But we are now done and can leave South America to return to Europe and the actual war, Huzzah! *Hipflask toast* *Glug, glug, glug*

29th December 1944 - Sweden
  • 29th December 1944 - Sweden

Abandoning Latin America we return to Europe, but alas fail to stop at the Danube and overshoot Slovakia badly. Instead we come to Northern Europe where a group of evil sociopaths are carrying out a shocking scheme of unparalleled evil and malevolence, but enough about the founders of Ikea we are here to meet King Gustav V. Like us, Prime Minster Hansson is attempting to meet the Monarch in question.

"Where is his majesty?" Hansson asked the butler in the Stockholm Royal Palace

"Hiding in the throne room, cowering under the throne." The butler replied. "He won't let anyone in."

Hansson strode to the throne room and knocked on the door.

"I demand entry to bring news from your government." He shouted.

"I'm busy." Gustav's voice replied. "And it would be an unacceptable breach of neutrality for you to force entry!"

Hansson sighed and repeated his demand for entry, but in a German accent.

The door flew open and a grovelling Gustav appeared. "Come in at once, please take anything you want. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Works every time." Hansson muttered to himself.

"Ohh, it's you." Gustav had stopped grovelling enough to notice it was his Prime Minister and not an actual German answering.

"Indeed your majesty, now if we can get on with the briefing about your government." Hansson sat down and pulled out a slim file.

eRsv4Rn.jpg

The Swedish Government. They just look guilty don't they?
    "We have decided the armed services need experienced leadership at this critical time so have made some changes to our senior commanders." Hansson dispensed with small talk.

"Have you finally replaced the Chief of Staff?" Gustav asked.

"No, Carl Gustav Ehrensvärd remains in that role." Hansson said.

"Despite the problems?"

"What problem?" Hansson countered.

"Well the non-existence issue."

"Your majesty, please stop listening to that Carl August Ehrensvärd fraudster. Our Chief of Staff is very real and engaged in an ongoing camouflage demonstration."

"No-one's ever seen him." Gustav pointed out.

"That just proves how good he is." Hansson smugly replied. "We have however brought in Archibald Douglas as Chief of the Army to provide a more visible face."

"I'm not sure about bringing in a Scottish officer at this tense time." Gustav stuttered nervously.

"He is as Swedish as you are your majesty." Hansson reassured him.

"You mean he's half-German." Gustav said reverentially, an ecstatic grin plastered across his face.

"No he's properly Swedish. As Swedish as me." Hansson replied to the suddenly depressed monarch.

"Moving on, the Navy will bring Erik Palmstierna out of retirement. He was navy minister twenty years ago so we hope he knows who swapped the names on HSwMS Gotland and HSwMS Fylgia. We can't have the HSwMS Gotland being a Flygia-class cruiser and vice-versa, it makes us look stupid."

"I do keep getting mocking letters from other monarchs about that." Gustav sadly nodded.

"In the air we need to call upon one of the founding fathers of the Swedish Air Force to reinvigorate it."

"The very first chief, Karl Amundson!" Gustav said excitedly.

"No, he's too dead." Hansson sadly shook his head.

"His successor, Eric Virgin!"

Hansson shook his head.

"He didn't die in Abyssinia did he?"

"It would have been better if he had, would have made it less shameful."

"So it's Torsten Friis. He knows his telephones and forts I'll admit, but are we sure he's the best we have for the air force?" Gustav asked doubtfully.

"Well he's not dead and he hasn't spectacularly cocked up as military advisor to a conquered state, so he's the best of what's left." Hansson explained.

"Any changes to the civilian side of my government?"

"Per Wijkman has requested he be allowed to adopt a codename during cabinet meetings." Hansson passed over the letter.

"Instead of Per Wijkman he wants to be called Peter G. A. Wijkman." Gustav read. "I'm not an expert, but that seems a terrible codename."

"It was inspired by German coding and security best practice." Hansson said.

"Well in that case it's fine." Gustav signed the document with a flourish.

"We have also appoitned a new Armaments Minister." Hansson moved the meeting on.

"Did you go for Erik Einar Ekstrand? He had some exciting ideas about submarines." Gustav enthused.

"No, he had some exciting ideas about diplomatic sub-committees." Hansson brought out the dictionary and pointed to the relevant words. "We went for Ernst Trygger, he was the best person to push forward our revolutionary Atoms and Jets programme."

"That's Ernst Trygger the ex-Prime Minister?" Gustav asked.

Hansson nodded.

"The dead one?"

"Yes. With him at the helm we will not be wasting any money on a nuclear programme or developing jets."

Gustav nodded at this wisdom.

--
    Notes:
    Sweden did not suffer as badly as Latin America, but it still didn't go well.

Our issues start with the King himself. Paradox think the King is Gustav while the internet insists its Gustaf. To your undoubted shock I believe Paradox are wrong on this, if only because the Swedish Royal Court side with the 'F' group. I may have very slightly exagerated the pro-German leanings of the King, but basically that was him only more cowardly and with a bit more dodgy blackmail. Also Terrible Glasses.

PM, Foreign Minister and Head of Intelligence bang on. Per / Peter Wijkman was security related job and was indeed Per, no idea where the G. A. came from.

The Gustav confusion continues as they have given the (correct) chief of staff the wrong middle name, they meant August. Perhaps confused by the Carl Gustaf recoilless rifle? Or just general ineptness.

There was no Minister for the Navy in Sweden, it was abolished in 1920s. Erik P was the last minister who had that job. As mentioned the Swedish OOB is a bit broken and the ship / class names don't match up, another triumph of Paradox research, attention to detail and testing.

Torsten Friis was commander of the field telegraph corps and served in the fortification troops. A natural choice to lead the naescent Swedish airforce, honestly I was all preped for this to be a Paradox cockup but it was in fact a Swedish OTL awful choice. Then again his predecessor was indeed Eric Virgin, a man who enjoyed the jokes about his name so much he quit Sweden in 1934 and was hired by Abyssinia to reform their military. Sadly he spent more time mocking the Italians than actually training the Abyssinian Army, with results we all know.

Archibald Douglas, a wonderfully Swedish name and OTL senior officer. A direct descendant of the Scottish mercenary cavalry officer Robert Douglas, a man who fought so well for Sweden in the Thirty Years war he got promoted to Field Marshall, commanded in all the big battles and ended up a Count with massive estates. Delightfully the family kept up the 'proper' Scottish names even hundreds of years later.

Finally Ernst Trygger, the only corpse in the government. PM in the 20s, quit parliament in 1937, died in 1943. Lawyer, academic and lecturer, his views on nukes an jets are unknown. That said, in OTL Sweden did the IKEA route for jets - buying in 'kits' of engines from USA and UK and getting Volvo to ineptly nail them together. A dead man seems perfect to oversea that, no chance of corruption or wasting money on indigenous R&D.

With this all over, we will be returning to Bratisalva and finally entering 1945!

1st January 1945
  • 1st January 1945

We return to Bratislava on New Year's Day where the Slovak cabinet is gathering to discuss their plans for the forthcoming year. Unless those plans include 'getting annexed' this is probably a waste of time, but that doesn't seem to be deterring them. General Kubela looked up in surprise as Tiso and Tuka entered the command shed.

"Vodca, I did not think you would be attending the Monday morning briefing." He said.

"We thought you'd be hungover after New Year's Eve drinking." Malar babbled.

Tiso pulled himself up and glared.

"I am not affected by such things." He announced.

"Supreme Vodca Tiso has been undisputed leader of Slovakia for over five years, this has given him plenty of reasons to practice drinking heavily." Tuka explained.

Tiso nodded, then gestured for the meeting to begin.

"The British have Szombathely." Kubela said dramatically.

"We don't care about their hygiene habits." Tuka snapped.

Malar and Kubela looked confused. Well more confused than usual.

"You told us the British had some baths lately. This news doesn't seem relevant to a military briefing." Tiso said.

"No they've captured the Hungarian city of Szombathely. That is less than 80miles from Bratislava." Kubela explained why this was actually news.

"Why are you quoting the distance in miles rather than kilometers." Tiso asked.

"Because they are the one true unit of measurement." Pruzinsky declared, mildly shocking the rest of the cabinet who thought he had disappeared.

"And kilometres were the same units the Czechs used." Tuka roared, prompting a round of disgusted spitting.

Tiso slowly counted to five before continuing.

"How is the General Staff reacting to this worrying news." He asked.

"Panicking." Malar confirmed his mastery of Slvoak literalness.

Tuka started cursing most of the military under his breath.

"No, I meant what are they doing about it?" Tiso persisted.

"We have manged to get the Italian Front renamed the Slovak Front!" Kubela proudly announced.

"The Fuhrer has kindly allowed this renaming of the Italian Front." Von Killinger confirmed. "He is sure the Slovaks will die for him far more efficiently than the Italians ever did."

ZDmZDZf.jpg

The Slovak Front. The Axis defenders are a formidable bunch even if they are dressed as Hungarians, along side the Fallschirmjäger there are a pair of tough Panzergrenadier units (20th and 90th) and the terminally confused men of the 1st Paratroop Panzer Division 'Hermann Göring'.

"And this will help with the defence how?" Tuka asked.

"It would militarily help, but we think it will improve morale." Malar admitted.

"It will really wind up the Hungarians and that always cheers the men up." Kubela beamed.

Tiso decided he had heard enough about the Slovak Front.

"What news from the East?" He asked.

"That's the Eastern Front of this war." Tuka angrily jumped in to prempt any discussion of the War in Fiji.

"The 1st (Heroes of Arad) Division is moving to secure the Romania Border defence line in Oradea." Kubela said gravely.

"What happened to the Salonta defence line?" Tiso asked.

"Salonta was in Romania, so it was the wrong place to try and hold the border. General Turanec is now moving into Hungary so he can mount a proper defence of the Romanian border from the correct side." Kubela said.

wBXpmHa.jpg

The 1st Division is heroically redeploying to Oradea, jewel in the crown of Northern Transylvania. If the Slovak's continue to fight this hard the city might survive the forthcoming battle long enough to be looted by the Soviets.

Tiso decided not to ask too much about that, it wouldn't make him happy. Or make any difference.

"And the Western Front?"

"General Jurech reports he is no longer being bombed by two RAF groups under the command of a mad Australian."

The general staff cheered up, but Tiso remained impassive and waited.

"Because is being bombed by three RAF groups under the command of a worrying good British commander."

VcWuqFp.jpg

Air Marshall Bottomley, one of the original heavy bomber barons has decided to abandon being Deputy Chief of the Air Staff to lead some Tactical Bombers and Multi-Role fighters to bomb Romilly. This is not going well for the Axis forces.

"General, I've always wanted to know. How can our commanders tell who is commanding the bombers attacking them?"

Malar and Kubela exchange an awkward glance before shrugging.

Tiso reached for hipflask, resolving to start the year as it was inevitably going to go on.

--
    Notes:
    We're back! It's a new year for Slovakia and it has started in the traditional manner; badly.

I continue to find the concept of Parachute-Panzer divisions amusing, even though the reality is fairly dull. I may have been too kind on the 90th PanzerGrenadiers by calling them tough, they did get destroyed in late 1944, the survivors hiding for a few months before surrendering to the Brazilian Expeditionary Force. As you do.

Finally, General von Gross-Zauche Sctrachwitz continues to have an amazing name and one which gets even better after research. His first name was Hyacinth, as in the flower, because he was named after a Polish saint. This was some sort of tradition, because when he had a son he gave it same first name, resulting in ; Hyacinth Gross-Zauche Sctrachwitz Junior. Which is majestic in anyone's book.

Last edited:
    3rd January 1945
  • 3rd January 1945

We return to Bratislava, but not to see Tiso and Tuka. Instead we find ourselves in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where Interim-Assistant-Under Foreign Minister Durcansky is sorting the telegrams. He looked up as the Justice Minister entered.

"Fritz, thank you for coming." He said with relief.

"Anything for a government colleague. How can I assist?" Fritz replied.

"I wish some advice on which of these messages I should pass onto cabinet."

"Is that not a matter for the Foreign Minister himself?" Fritz warily said.

"Alas Stefan is neglecting his duties due to his obsession." Durcansky sighed. "He has said he will not carry out any government work until someone lets him out of the office,."

"Which is something his brother refuses to allow." Fritz nodded sympathetically.

"This leaves me effectively in charge, given my own unfortunate history with the glorious Vodca I would appreciate your thoughts on which news I should pass on."

"I will assist where I can." Fritz agreed, causing Durcansky's face to light up.

"The first is news of Scandal in Scandinavia."

Pn2yika.jpg

A junior minister had suggested Sweden stop hiding behind other people's soldiers and join the war. Or at the very least stop selling key war supplies to Nazi Germany at cheap prices. The horrific idea that someone with backbone and common decency had somehow got into parliament rocked the country's leadership to the core.

"I venture to guess this is not news the Vodca would wish to see?" Durcansky hesitantly spoke.

"News that the Sweden's politicians are scandalous is like an announcement that loop-pile carpet needs underlay! Pointless." Fritz nodded encouragingly.

Reacting to the nodding as much as the words, Durcansky put the message on the discard tray and moved on.

"There is some political news about one of our enemies, government leakers in Bhutan."

BpH0aWJ.jpg

If a Bhutanese minister leaks information, but no-one pays any attention because no-one cares, does the leaking minster make a sound?

Seeing the doubtful look on Fritz's face Durcansky continued.

"It was their reaction that might be of interest, the Bhutanese government responded to the leak by killing every politician who was not a member of the governing party."

"Really?" Fritz asked.

"We understand the only politicians left in the country are members of the Peace and Prosperity Party."

"For our leaders that news will be like properly tacked and bonded Berber; a small joy that lifts the soul." Fritz said.

Pleased to have some good news to present to cabinet, Durcansky came to his final message.

"One of our enemies is growing in economic strength."

FU5Sowb.jpg

Production of rancid yak butter will be increased by an insignificant percentage for a relatively short period of time!

"But I don't think it matters?" Durcansky ventured.

"I concur, that news is as pointless as using underlay, grippers and tacks on a felt backed trim-piled carpet. And just as interesting!" Fritz chuckled to himself.

Durcansky nervously put the message to one side, briefly wondering if perhaps there was more to the Nepalese news than either of them thought.

Meanwhile, in Kathmandu

"You summoned me mighty King Tribhuvan." Prime Minister Rana said.

"I have decided we must take drastic measures to reform our economy, that we might be able to better contribute to this war and bring glory and honour to Nepal."

"That is a bold move your highness." Rana said doubtfully. "Is it not risky to carry out such reforms during a war?"

"I have checked with the Treasury, they say we have no money and have run out of everything." Tribhuvan retorted. "We have nothing to risk."

Nodding sadly Rana replied.

"What are these bold reforms?" He asked.

"I shall reform the government, no longer shall it consist solely of your family." Tribhuvan said.

9Jzi6ni.jpg

What the Rana family lack in diversity of last name they more than compensate for with an thrilling variety of hats.

Rana was chap fallen, but rallied.

"We live to serve, but I must warn you these men were the finest in Nepal and picked for their abilities not their familial ties." He said.

"We shall see, Prime Minster, we shall see." Tribhuvan said.

Slightly later in Khatmandu

Tribhuvan and Mohan Rana are reviewing the new cabinet.

"It is certainly the dramatic change you desired your highness." Rana said dubiously.

"These men will bring a new perspective." Tribhuvan said brightly.

"I'm sure both of them will. But is it a perspective that will improve Nepal?"

"What do you mean Prime Minster?" Tribhuvan asked.

"Well I an unsure of the wisdom of appointing one man to every job." Rana replied.

"Not every job, I hired Captain Potter from the British to lead the Army."

"You do know Potter isn't actually a real British Army officer but is an ex-Bank Manager from their Home Guard?"

Tribhuvan looked startled at the news, but rallied.

"I think he will be fine. And surely you can have no doubts about the qualities of Admiral Collins?" The King almost begged.

"While I am no nautical man, I don't think he's a real US Admiral. He knows nothing about the sea or the US Navy. And his epaulettes are made of cardboard."

"Are you sure?" Tribhuvan sat down heavily as his legs gave way.

"I think he's just an actor in a US Admiral costume." Rana explained.

GPDyBe8.jpg

The reformed Nepalese government in all it's glory. Some of you may be thinking H.T.S. Collins looks exactly like Lloyd Bridges playing Admiral Benson from Hot Shots. Some of you are entirely correct. Also of note Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army cunningly renamed as Potter.

"I've just made it all worse haven't I?" Tribhuvan asked.

Rana nodded.

"Tits." King Tribhuvan sighed.

--
    Notes:
    Starting in Bhutan I noticed the country only has minister for one political party, the ominously named "Peace and Prosperity Party" who are naturally Paternal Autocrat. You have choices within that group, but nothing else. That's quite the lazy oversight, so if your future plans included playing as Communist Bhutan you may require a mod.

Turning to Nepal I've little to add over and above the issues highlighted above, save for the fact that Paradox has misspelt Tribhuvan's name and given him an erroneous 'a' on the end. The actual history of the sprawling Rana clan and their fights with King Tribhuvan about who actually ran the country are long, complex and probably of interest to few reading this, so I shall spare my fingers the typing.

4th January 1945
  • 4th January 1945

We return to Bratislava where Tiso and Tuka are having their midday military briefing. Because Tiso has realised that he is supreme autocratic leader, so he can just ban early morning meetings.

"What is the latest news from the front?" Tiso asked.

Kubela cleared his throat and replied.

"The 1st (Slovakia's Finest) Division are fleeing for their lives to the pointless town of Chisineu-Cris, a place so banal that hopefully the Soviets won't bother with capturing it."

Tiso and Tuka exchanged a glance.

"Was there some earlier news we should have heard first?" Tiso asked.

"Yes." Malar said.

There was a long pause.

Tuka twigged and started screaming about thrice damned Slovakian military literalness.

"Pease tell us the relevant news, in order." Tiso asked as his colleague stopped for breath.

"In the early hours of this morning the Axis force in Oradea was attacked." Kubela said grumpily

1k7Yt6T.jpg

On the defence, outnumbering the enemy 2:1 and with no shortage of command units about. This is very much the opposite of an ominous start.

"General Turanec deferred to the German Corps commander on the scene. He was fairly confident as the weather conditions were in our favour, the rest of the force was well dug in and the Axis had superior numbers." Kubela said.

"That all seems positive?" Tuka ventured.

"It was. Then the fighting started." Malar explained.

Y5MuKAT.jpg

You can see the haunted sadness in General Kichner's eyes. LVII. Panzerkorps used to be a mighty unit, he'd had SS Panzer Divisions and proper PanzerGrenadiers under his control, and now he's reduced to wearing a Hungarian hat and commanding dregs. In contrast the Soviets were so confident of success their commander hadn't bothered to turn up.

"The first clue things were going badly was when the 10th and 12th Unpronounceable-random-pile-of-consonants divisions ran away." Kubela said.

"Then the Croatian von fraudster Percevic also fled the battle."

There was a pause as the Germans present spat in disgust at the mention of this terrible crime

"Finally Turanec remembered his troops still hadn't recovered from their heroics at Arad and had no organisation, so was forced to retreat."

PQVMYJu.jpg

There may come a time when 1st (Eastern Brackets) Division can recover and actually get some org back. But it is not this day.

"We understand that this left General Kichner with no actual fighting troops left, only HQ staff, and he was defeated shortly after." Kubela finished the round up.

"And this all occurred before lunch?" Tuka asked.

Kubela and Malar nodded.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up liquid breakfasts." Tiso said sadly to his colleague.

---
    Notes:
    Maybe if I keep the updates short and regular we might make progress. But that does seems like crazy talk.

In any case the Eastern Front is not going well. It was only back in December 2018 that we met the Croatian von Fraudster so maybe he seems familiar?

General Kichner has the correct OTL job, just now he's been load to Hungary and given command of some useless divisions rather than the elite panzers and mechanised infantry he is used to. There is nothing particularly interesting to say about him, so we will stop here.

5th to 6th January 1945
  • 5th January 1945

We return, but not to Bratislva. Instead we are in the legendary capital of French sock making, we are of course in Romilly. Here we find General Jurech and Colonel Lendvay masterminding the Slovak war effort in the West. They should probably go and look in the Sock Museum while they are there, it won't help the Axis win the war but then neither will the efforts of the Slovakian Army.

"The Germans have summoned us to a meeting in the Château. They want to discuss plans to fend of the Allied attack." Jurech said as they ambled towards said Château.

"We are the heroes of Paris, world record holders in defending it! Aren't you supposed to be senior commander here?" Lendvay indignantly replied.

"I am, but do you think the Germans will accept that?" Jurech shrugged.

gqIAoNC.jpg

In hat-terms this is surprisingly equal, both Barker and Jurech showing fine jaunty cap skills. In theory the Panzer-Lehr division provides a significant edge to the defence. In theory.

"Jurech! This briefing started at 6am! It's nearly lunch time, why are you so late?" Colonel von Hauser, the chief of staff of the Panzer-Lehr division, shouted.

"We thought you would still be halfway through pronouncing his name." Jurech pointed at the commander of Panzer-Lehr division.

Everyone looked at Generalmajor Hyacinth Graf Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz, Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds, Eastern Front Medal, Wound Badge (Black, Silver and Gold), Panzer Badge (Silver and Gold, Embossed 100), Romanian Order of the Crown, Silesian Eagle 1st Class with Oak Leaves and Swords, Iron Cross (1st Class), Clasp to the Iron Cross (1st Class), Deutsches Reichssportabzeichen and Junior Milk Monitor at Oppeln Volksschule (Spring Term 1899).

"Actually we are 75% through the incantation." von Hauser glared.

"Is it possible we could skip that and discuss the battle?" Lendvay asked.

Several of the German staff officers swooned at this shocking breach of protocol. However General Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche nodded and gestured for the briefing to begin.

"While we are only being attacked by a single British division, it is one of their better units - the 49th Division under General Barker."

"The so called 'Barker's Bears'?" Jurech asked.

"Indeed. They are a hard fighting unit, German Intelligence believes it will not be long before people name a type of roundabout after them."

"There is no higher honour." Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche said meditatively.

"What's a roundabout?" Lendvay whispered to Jurech. Jurech shook his head and shrugged.

This vital discussion was interrupted by a messenger who charged in and handed a note to Colonel von Hauser.

"I have urgent news from the front. The British have reinforced their attack, the Guards Armoured Division and the US 9th Mechanized have joined the assault." Von Hauser announced.

"This changes everything! Summon the staff we must work out a new plan." Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche instructed.

Jurech raised his hand.

"Does it involve the Slovak division staying in place and dying quietly while you take the Panzers to try and cut the enemy supply lines?" He asked.

Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche paused while walking out of the room.

"I wasn't aware you had been to German tactical training school." He said with new found respect.

6th January 1945

Jurech and Lendvay are alone in the Château.

"So how did the German plan go Lendvay?" Jurech asked.

"Mixed." Lendvay replied. "In fairness the German panzer attack did distract two of the Allied divisions, which did relief the pressure."

"But?"

"This left a gap for the Allies to commit another division, so we are now out-numbered 2:1." Lendvay gestured at the map.

60ibdCl.jpg

Long time readers may remember the 29th Division as being commanded by General Gerhardt, the worst US general in the war, so things are not quite as bad as they seem. But they are still very bad.

"So we are facing two motorised divisions, led by one of the most fierce British generals and we no longer have any tank support?" Jurech asked.

Lendvay nodded sadly.

"Bugger." Jurech summarised their position.

--
    Notes:
    The 49th West Ridings Division spent the start of the war in Norway, while this didn't go well it did get them tagged for similar arctic missions, hence why they were the occupying force for Iceland. This got them a new divisional badge with a polar bear on it. General E H "Bubbles" Barker (actual nickname) was appointed their new commander as they trained up for Overlord. To sum up Barker he thought the polar bear on the 49ths badge wasn't fighty enough and looked too much like the Fox's Glacier Mint bear, so changed it to an angry roaring polar bear. He was that sort of chap.

The 49th became know as Barker's Bears and were exceptionally tough, fought of attacks by multiple SS Panzer Divisions on a few occasions, that sort of thing. They liberated Utrecht and the grateful Dutch named a type of roundabout, the Berenkuil (Bear Pit), after the division. I am not making this up.

General Gerhardt remains an utter liability, far more dangerous to his own side than the enemy.

Last edited:
    7th January 1945
  • 7th January 1945

We return to Bratislava where the Slovak Not-War-Cabinet is meeting. Because despite Total War there is a still a country to run. Or attempt to run. Or at least talk about a bit in meetings. Baron Von Killinger opened the meeting.

"The Fuhrer has an excellent opportunity for the Slovak government to accept." He announced proudly.

"Is a chance to die pointlessly heroic deaths?" Tuka asked warily.

"No, it is a trade deal to strengthen both our economies." von Killinger handed over the draft treaty. "Though of course he still expects you will all die for him."

Nt8omhJ.jpg

This deal seems both familiar and terrible. The parts that are terrible are also familiar
    .​

"I would recommend we decline to accede to this request." Industry Minister Pruzinsky said.

"Why would you do such a thing?!" Von Killinger shouted.

"Because it requires us to hand over supplies we don't have in exchange for money we can't spend." Pruzinsky explained.

"Oh. That." Von Killinger said.

"I would also advise against this. Our contract of puppethood with Germany may stop us from doing our own deals, but it doesn't force us to accept theirs." Fritz joined in.

Von Killinger cursed inept German lawyers.

"Moving on, any foreign news." Tiso asked.

"There has been a political scandal in Belgium!" Associate-Interim-Deputy Foreign Minister Durcanskysaid.

93CXxXY.jpg

Despite being in exile, the former low country of Flanoonistan continues to cause international inconvenience.

Tuka just stared angrily.

"It's a real scandal! The Prime Minister is a corpse, he has been dead for over 6 months!" Durcansky gabbled desperately.

Tuka subsided and nodded.

"So they have made changes?" Tiso asked.

"Yes, the rest of the government have kicked out the King and installed a regent." Durcansky replied.

"Why?" Tuka asked.

"Because they thought he should have noticed the decomposing body in the meeting."

"Fair enough. Who is the new Prime Minister?" Tiso continued.

"No-one, Corpse Minister Janson is still in office."

"What!?" Tuka screamed.

"It's Belgium, that's what they do." Durcansky explained.

Fritz decided to change the subject before Tuka burst.

"We have news from the Minister of Security." He said, passing over the telegram.

Ci6dqMO.jpg

While it causes us plenty of fear
    The threat from this printing is clear
    Lock down the hatches
    Break out the matches
    And then use plenty of fire to make it ontologically deactualized.

Janko Jesenky's warning could not be clearer. Well obviously he could be clearer if he just wrote normally, but this is about as clear as critically socially realistic limericks get.

"This printing sounds serious." Tiso said.

"Is it anti-government texts? Soviet propaganda?" Tukas asked.

"Worse." Fritz said.

"You don't mean?"

"I'm afraid it is."

"Czech Communist Iambic Meditative poetry!" Tiso and Tuka said in unison.

"We had always feared this day would come." Pruzinksy said sadly as the cabinet members *spat* their disgust.

"Luckily we were able to find the press and destroy it, but we must remain vigilant. If not we could be seeing copies of the works of Jaroslav Seifert and František Halas on our streets or worse; while I don't want to cause an unnecessary panic, we could be facing the prospect of new work from Vítězslav Nezval being printed."

A few panicked junior minister fled, while the remainder nodded soberly at the magnitude of the threat.

Rm354w3.jpg

Slovakia has been lucky this time, but the Czech Communist Experimentalist Versifying Community only needs to be lucky once.

"Why is that report in the name of the Foreign Ministry?" Pruzinksy asked.

"Once we realised what was involved, nobody wanted to go near it lest they be exposed." Fritz said.

"So you sent it to Stefan Tiso?"

"We thought the Vodca would approve of this being part of his punishment." Fritz said.

Tiso nodded at this and raised his hipflask in thanks to Fritz. Whatever else may have happened, today was a good day.

---
    Notes:
    Slovakia actually got the good random result on the event, went for the crack down and got no dissent. Arguably the only bit of luck Slovakia has had thus far so clearly even the game engine has poetic standards

Czech Communist poetry does appear to be quite bad. Halas gave the world "The Cock Scares Death" which is much less interesting than it sounds and was obsessed with time, nothingness and bleakness. Nezval did surrealist imagist poetry, which is exactly as awful as it sounds.

Belgium has Prince Karel as regent, which sort of but not really works. In OTL Karel was regent from September 1944 (liberation of Brussels) till 1950 (because no-one really wanted Leopold III back), so close but the Allies are nowhere near Brussels in this game so it stands out more. Paul-Emile Janson as Prime Minister however is inexcusable as he was only PM in 1937/8 for less than 6 months, got kicked out and then died in 1944. No idea why Paradox picked him as Belgian PM, particularly when they bothered to put in a name and photo for the correct leader Hubert Pierlot.

Current Belgian PM lost a vote of confidence and resigned December 2018. This was accepted by the King. He is, of course, still Prime Minister of Belgium because merely resigning and losing the confidence of parliament is not enough to see someone kicked out of the job. Because Belgium.

8th January 1945
  • 8th January 1945

Leaving behind a poetry-racked Bratislava we return to Moscow where vital issues on the Eastern Front are being discussed. Well people are telling Stalin things and he is giving orders - Stalin is not a big fan of discussion. A messenger was approaching Stalin's private rooms and had just been stopped by the guards.

"I have some good news for Comrade Stalin." The messenger announced.

"Are you sure Comrade?" The first guard asked.

"Yes, absolutely."

"And you are just saying all the news is good because the Great Leader tends to purge people who give him bad news?" The second guard asked suspiciously. Even more suspiciously than NKVD guards were normally.

"Of course not!" The messenger exclaimed.

"We will let you live for now, but we are watching you comrade." The first guard grudgingly conceded.

"We are always watching." The second guard emphasised as the messenger fled.

Beira arrived, nodded his appreciation at this vital internal security work, and carried the messages into Stalin's private rooms.

"Comrade Stalin, I bring news from our intelligence operations."

Stalin looked up from filling his pipe.

"And the news is good I presume?" He asked, idly reaching for a death warrant in case it wasn't.

Beira gulped.

"Our operations were successful, but we are still trying to understand what we have found." Beira forced himself to remain calm.

"What do you mean?" Stalin stared at his intelligence chief.

"We have been investigating the mystery of why there is an Indian Airborne Division in Odessa wearing Persian hats. Our agents have located another piece of the puzzle, but our analysts are still interpreting it." He handed over the file.

YvUvksn.jpg

The Tobruk Garrison has been lent to the Persian government and shipped out to Lamard in Southern Persia. Along with a Corps HQ, obviously.

Stalin read the note and looked questioningly.

"We had thought these two expeditionary forces were connected to some wider anti-revolutionary scheme, but Lamard is a centre of the Persian natural gas industry." Beira said.

"So you believe the capitalists may have sent these garrison troops to secure this bounty from the Persian people?" Stalin finished the thought.

Beira nodded.

"That or the British have just done something stupid as part of their ongoing campaign to use baffling stupid deception to confuse the Germans." He said.

"What about our operations in Greece?" Stalin asked.

"We have successfully infiltrated a large number of agents into the Allied armies in Greece." Beira said shiftily.

"How many exactly?"

"A bit under 9,000." Beira admitted.

Stalin put his pipe down so he could stare especially hard.

"They are undercover as the 38. Guards Rifle Division." Beira babbled.

3jH2xu7.jpg

22nd Corps is an interestingly multi-national force as along with the lost Soviets it has a British, Canadian and US Marine division. All working together to implement Montgomery's plan to liberate Greece and keep it safe from Soviet occupation post-war.

"They have managed to confirm that the Allied Operation Taverna Greenhouse has been a complete success and the entire German army in Greece has been pocketed." Beira continued.

"Shutting us out of the country and preventing us from bringing the Greek people the gift of the revolution." Stalin puffed on his pipe.

Beira decided it was safer to say nothing.

"Do you have any actually good news?" Stalin asked.

Beira looked relieved.

"Yes, there is excellent news from the Leningrad Front." He said.

East Prussia, Germany
    German Generals Jodl and Keitel are walking towards the main building of the Wolf's Lair to bring news to the the Führer.

"I hope you are pleased with yourself." Jodl said accusingly.

"As you well know there are no good options at this point, I merely proposed the least bad solution." Keitel defended himself.

"It was a catastrophe!" Jodl raised his voice.

"I can hardly be held accountable for such an unexpected failure." Keitel huffed.

"It gassed half of the operations room!" Jodl continued.

"It was so dark they couldn't work, the Fuhrer has ruled out most other options so I suggested Halogen bulbs as a non-decadent and properly Aryan lighting source. How was I to know that the bulbs contained Chlorine gas that slowly leaked out?"

Jodl subsided and decided this debate on National Socialist lighting policy would have to wait.

"How badly do you think the Fuhrer will react to this news?" He asked.

"He had very high hopes about Nordlich III - Die Rache" Keitel said sadly.

UONoJiG.jpg

Operation Northern Lights III- The Revenge has, like it's predecessors, failed to capture Leningrad. The Mongolia Army continues to enjoy wandering around northern Russia.

Their discussion is interrupted by exceptionally loud screaming and deranged shouting emerging from the briefing bunker and echoing around the Wolf's Lair.

"Ahh, I see the Fuhrer has heard the news." Jodl said.

---
    Notes:
    The AI's adventures in expeditionary forces continue to baffle all involved, not least the AI itself.

Monty has aimed at just the right number of ports in Greece and that campaign is going well, not for the Soviets but certainly for the Greeks.

The Eastern Front is a place of contrasts; massive Soviet progress in the South, behind OTL in the middle (Minsk has just been liberated when in OTL it was re-captured by July 1944) and tenacious German defence in the North.

The original Halogen bulbs as patented in the 19th century used Chlorine as the 'halogen' gas. Modern ones with Iodine weren't invented till the 1950s. This concludes your lesson on the history behind National Socialist lighting policy.

9th January 1945
  • 9th January 1945

We return to Bratislava where an urgent meeting of the Slovak Total War Cabinet has been called in the Command Shack. Tiso and Tuka have, despite their doubts, arrived and started the meeting. The doubts are both about if anything urgent has actually happened and about whether the cabinet could do anything about it in any event.

"The British have captured Cell Do Milk." General Kubela attempted to get straight to the point.

There was a confused pause and some scrabbling with maps.

"I thought the Allies captured Brest months ago during the Normandy Campaign?" Tuka asked.

"Not that one, the other one." Kubela said.

More scrabbling.

"The Polish city? That is most alarming, the Soviets only capture Minsk a couple of days ago and it is several hundred kilometres from there to Brest!" Tiso said with alarm.

Fritz coughed discretely.

"I believe our military colleagues are trying to say the Hungarian town of Celldömölk." He explained.

"They have reached the Danube!" Von Killinger exclaimed.

E4pUjLC.jpg

Aside from the British reaching the Danube River the observant may notice the large gap in Sopron where an Axis defence line should be. All in all, this does look a bit tricky.

"We have improved our response measures, the staff did not panic at this news." Malar reassured the cabinet.

"So what did you do?" Tiso asked suspiciously.

"We declared General Alarm." Kubela said.

"Colonel Alarm was delighted at the promotion." Malar added.

Tuka just started screaming incoherently. When he had calmed down Tiso continued.

"What actually useful measures, if any, were taken?" He asked.

"We have recalled the entire army back to defend Slovakia." Kubela said in a hurt voice.

"I thought the 2nd Division was still fighting in Romilly?"

"We had some luck there." Malar said, handing over the latest message from the West.

PxUnVrQ.jpg

Technically this does mean the 2nd (Last Heroes of Paris) Division is available to redeploy back to defend Bratislava.

Tiso decided to look on the bright side, it was only this morning he had been concerned about the dwindling levels in the cellar and worrying about how he would refill his hipflask going forward. It now appeared this would no longer be a concern. With that problem solved, he celebrated.

*Glug, glug, glug.*

---
    Notes:
    Short but hopefully sweet. Well not for T&T obviously as we are approaching Koboldedämmerung for them, but I'd like to imagine everyone else is pleased at this passable impression of regular updatery.

12th January 1945
  • 12th January 1945

The Slovak Total War Cabinet has been assembled due to the threat to Bratislava, though it is remarkably similar to a standard Slovak War Cabinet just more dramatic. Tiso's contemplation on the worth, or otherwise, of renaming his cabinet is interrupted by Tuka starting the meeting.

"Do we have any domestic news?" He asks.

Silence.

"Excellent." Tiso said. "We never get good domestic news."

"Can we have a military update?" Tuka asked.

"Yes." Malar said.

More Silence.

Before his colleague had a chance to scream Tiso hurriedly asked his next question.

"Please summarise the military situation." He said.

"In words, not interpretative dance." A still angry Tuka threatened.

A disappointed Kubela pulled out the map.

twKOJLa.jpg

The Slovak Front. If you ignore No.4 Group of the RAF attempting to flatten Vienna then very little has changed. There is now a Hungarian Corps HQ running about the place, but they are unlikely to be of much practical help.

"The entire Slovak Army is still in transit back to defend Bratislava." General Kubela announced.

"And when will they arrive?"

"Soon." Kubela said.

"Ish." Added General Malar.

"Probably." Kubela conceded.

Correctly realising this was the best he was going to get, Tiso moved on to the last topic.

"Any foreign news?"

"The disgusting heretics of the so-called Polish government in exile have revealed themselves to be worse than we previously suspected." Fritz angrily announced.

TV4ti13.jpg

The Polish leaks that triggered the normally calm and rational Fritz.

"Why is Fritz so angry with Poland?" Tuka whispered to Tuka.

"The Poles appointed a minister called Unrug. He took it as an insult against carpets and has never forgiven them for it." Tuka explained.

Tiso decided to try and forget he had ever asked.

"And what news has leaked?"

"Due their boundless depravity they are unable to find enough people debased enough to join the cabinet, therefore they have been forced to appoint several corpses to key roles." Fritz gloated.

"That is most shameful." Tiso nodded. "Anything else."

"The French government has been rocked by a scandal involving a Rogue Politician." Associate-Deputy-Junior Foreign Minister Durcanksy volunteered.

Tiso looked up with interest.

"It turns out De Gaulle has accidentally appointed a rogue minister." Durcansky explained.

"Why is he rogue?" Tiso asked.

"Well the rest of his government is traitors, idiots, corpses and people who are utterly unqualified. General de Tassigny is alive, good at his job and loyal. De Gaulle is under great pressure to sack him and go back to having a completely awful cabinet."

36nwMnM.jpg

The French parade of governmental awfulness.

Relieved that there was at least one European leader with government worse than Slovakia's, Tiso reached for his hipflask to toast that small achievement.

*glug, glug, glug*

---
    Notes:
    The Slovak front remains stable, though there is at last a Race to Bratislava - will the two divisions get home before the Allies cross the Danube?

I've not gone through the Polish government in exile, I'm sure by now you are happy to believe it is indeed full of corpses and so on. And a Navy Minister call Unrug, which I thought would enrage a carpet fan like Fritz.

The French one though, I felt I had to cover it because it is impressively full of traitors;

Comert - Journalist, former head of PR for the League of Nations and ex-spokesman for the French Foreign Ministry (nearest he ever got to government). Disagreed with De Gaulle on many issues and only kept his paper going due to British support and the fact it was very good, especially compared to the De Gaulle approved 'official' Free French newspaper. Still utterly unqualified to be Foreign Minister and not in favour with De Gaulle.

Bonnet - Foreign Minister in the key pre-war period, unquestionably one of the worst sort of cowardly appeasers. Naturally massive Vichy supporter where he happily ranted about many unpleasant things. At this point hiding in Switzerland as he knew Germany had lost. Amazingly was allowed to run for office again in the early 1950s. Even more amazingly he won the election and got his old seat back and held it till the late 1960s. Baffling.

Chautemps - Former three-times PM of France pre-WW2. Made the proposal that France should surrender if the terms were "honourable" and ended up a Vichy minister. At this point hiding in the US after he was sent there on a diplomatic mission and refused to comeback.

Flandin - Another ex-PM of France, appeaser and ended up as one of the many Vichy PMs. Kicked out by Darlan he escaped to North Africa and got arrested by the Free French. Should be in Prison awaiting post-war trial.

de Tassigny - Complicated chap, youngest French General in the battle of France. Stayed in Vichy and pinged around a bit. During Case Anton (the Germans invading Vichy after Operation Torch) he was the only general to order his troops to resist, so defected across to Free France and ended up very high up in the Free French army. Only competent person on this list.

Schlumberger - Very junior French naval officer (by 1943 he was commanding a single submarine). Brave chap and de Gaulle loved him. But utterly unqualified for the job of Head of the Navy and even de Gaulle knew it; when Schlumberger finally retired in the 1950s he was still only a Captain.

Victor Bourgeois - 49th Prime Minister of France as a proud 'Social Republican' with an inappropriate last name. Sadly he was PM in 1895 and lasted less than 6 months as he wasn't very good at it. More importantly he died in 1925.

Deat - Minister for Air for a few months in 1936 and then passionate appeaser. Openly argued that France should let Germany annex all of Poland. Hardcore collaborator who was eventually rewarded by becoming Minister of Labour and National Solidarity for Vichy. Sadly (for him) this was in March 1944 so he didn't get long to enjoy it. Should be hiding out in Sigmaringen with the rest of the Vichy government in exile.

16th January 1945
  • 16th January 1945

Tiso and Tuka are attending the High Command Shed for their regular briefing of the status of the War and Slovakia's contribution to it. The second part of this process rarely takes long. Tiso attempts to bring the meeting to order, but is distracted by relentless sobbing.

"What is is Baron?" He asks Von Killinger.

"Terrible news from the Fatherland, the Poles are at the gates of Munich!" He wailed.

A worried murmur went around the Slovak General Staff.

"Worse, there is only a single Hungarian division to defend it. They may be wearing German hats, but I just cannot trust the 16th Random Collection of Unpronounceable Consonants to die properly for the Fuhrer." Von Killinger let his head fall back onto the table.

Leaving their head of intelligence to weep to himself, Tiso once more tried to start the meeting.

"Is there any news from the Slovak front?" He asked with due trepidation.

"Yes." General Kubela said.

Tuka just stared angrily until the General gave in.

"The 1st (No Longer Frozen) Division has returned from the Eastern Front!" Kubela said grudgingly.

yunCfSv.jpg

Half of the army has returned to defend the could-be-either-gender-parent-land. This is not as impressive as it sounds. But it is still more impressive than the quite terrible Axis defence of the Slovako-Austrian Front. Those divisions should be on the front line, not wandering around central Austria.

"They have taken up position in the fortress of Šamorín behind the river Danube. This will give them a clear advantage over any attacker." Malar explained.

"The Allies are strong and have impressive air support, will they be able to hold?" Tuka asked dubiously.

"We are confident General Turanec and his men can hold until the 2nd Division arrive." Malar said.

"General Jurech reports he is just outside the mostly pointless town of Tuttlingen in Southern Germany." Kubela said.

"And once the 2nd (Legendary Parisian Heroes) Divsion arrive, we can push the Allies back?" Tiso asked hopefully.

"Not a chance, we'd need support from Germany and they are far too busy elsewhere. We are going to get utterly crushed once the Allies get their logistic sorted." Kubela said.

"But we should be able to hold long enough for everyone to get back to Bratislava where we can all get defeated together, which is nice." Malar smiled.

Tuka was too depressed even to shout.

"Any non-military news?" Tiso asked, desperate to change the subject before his demons returned.

"There is another message from Janko Jesenksy." Fritz handed over the sheet.

rmkCsax.jpg

A spy was sent by the pope
    Hunting for azeotrope
    His Dominican style
    Stood out a mile
    This stands as a clear indictment of idealist ontology and demonstrates why epistemical relativist must be utterly condemned in the search for Truth.

The assembled cabinet looked blankly in bafflement.

"What's an azeotrope?" Tiso eventually asked.

"It is a vapour-liquid fluid at an equilibrium that has a large deviation from Raoult's Law. Discovered by the inestimable chemists Wade and Merriman, the name is derived from the Greek I believe." Pruzinsky explained. Or said some words at least.

The blank looks demonstrated this had not in fact helped comprehension.

"The most common example is the azeotrope between water and an ethyl group linked to a hydroxyl group." Pruzinksy continued.

The blankness also continued.

"That mix would typically be called Alcohol." Pruzinksy sighed.

The room erupted into a panic.

"The Pope is using his Papal Caribbean Spies to try to steal the Slovakian national strategic hipflask reserve!" Tiso cried.

"That is why we keep being infiltrated by Spies from the Dominican Republic." Fritz nodded in realisation.

"There can be no other explanation." Tiso said.

"Pope Pius XII really hasn't forgiven you for the incident has he?" Tuka said.

Tiso glared.

"We do not talk about the incident." He growled. "Tell Jesenky to make this his top priority."

A messenger was despatched to tell the famed anti-fascist critical realist poet to continue his efforts to stop the Pope using spies from the Domician Republic to steal Supreme Vodca Tiso's hipflask refills.

"Any other news?" Tiso asked the room.

Part-Time-Vice-Under Minister for Foreign Affairs Durcansky looked at the telegram in his hand. It couldn't be that important so he kept his mouth shut.

ghw26Dr.jpg

This is clearly unimportant.

Meanwhile, in the Palace of Great Happiness in the Bhutanese Capital Punakha the Dragon King is discussing the latest news.

"Why are their piles of rusty bicycles outside the palace?" King Jigme Wangchuk asked.

"The people have spontaneously donated metal to help the war effort." Hereditary Prime Minister Sonam Dorji replied.

"Is it actually helpful?"

"Not as such." Dorji admitted. "We have run out of everything, so we can't actually use it."

"Do the people know that?" King Wangchuk asked suspiciously.

"Probably. We think it might be a deliberate reaction to your recent cabinet changes."

"Are they not popular? You do agree we needed to reform the government after those recent leaks."

"People are asking questions about the appointment of Mang-pos Bhur-ba'i rgyalpo." Dorji confessed.

"Why?"

"You do know that isn't a person. It's just part of your official title as King." Dorji confronted the monarch.

"So they noticed that? Bugger." King Wangchuk said sadly

---
    Notes:
    The Dominican Republic is now on Spy No.3 in Slovakia, this explanation makes as much sense as any.

The Slovako-Austrian Front really is not going well for the Axis, but at least one division got back in time.

While I am trying to wean myself off broken cabinet posts, because it's not really new or interesting at this point, the Bhutanese cock up did make me smile. Mang-pos Bhur-ba'i rgyalpo translates as His Majesty. There are a couple of minister with this name available to appoint, amongst all the random British war heroes, long dead Sikh Gurus and other such horrors in the Bhutanese government.

19th January 1945
  • 19th January 1945

It's almost the weekend and Tiso and Tuka are trying to wrap up the cabinet meeting. They have just finished a discussion on Slovak criminal justice policy, the conclusion being that gathering up all the policemen into a Military-Police brigade and shipping them to France with 2nd (Mighty Defenders) of (Paris) Division was probably a mistake, but it's too late to worry about it now.

This critcal discussion was interrupted by a messenger from the Foreign Office.

"The Foreign Ministry has vital news!"

"If this is another letter from him begging to be released, this will go badly for you." Tuka threatened.

The messenger looked towards the snake and pencil pit and gulped nervously.

"You are in luck, this is actual news." Tiso announced after reading the message.

As the relieved messenger sprinted away, Tiso passed the note around.

dJAPafQ.jpg

A leak? In the Slovak Government? What the devil are they thinking?

"A potential leaker in the Slovak government, this is a most serious allegation. The Fuhrer must hear of this!" Baron Von Killinger thundered.

"I believe there has been a misunderstanding." Fritz interupted. He pointed at a bucket in the corner, slowly being filled by drips from the roof.

"This is just about a leak in a Slovak government building?" Tuka asked.

Fitz nodded.

"But if water is leaking in surely that means the command shed is no longer safe against Allied bombing." Malar cried in alarm.

"I have no concerns on that front." Pruzinksy said.

"That's a relief." General Kubela sighed.

"A hole in the roof cannot compromise the bomb resistance of this structure for the simple reason that it never had any bomb resistance to start with. This building has never been safe against even the smallest Allied explosive." Pruzinsky explained whiled polishing his monocle.

To stop the General Staff panicking, Tiso returned to the original subject.

"Are we all sure there are no human leakers present, passing information to the enemy?" He asked suspiciously.

"Yes I am, for two reasons." Fritz replied. "One, we have safely purged the government of all traitors, spies and Czechs."

There was a pause for disgusted *Spitting*

"Two, Slovakia has absolutely no secrets or sensitive information to leak to the enemy." Fritz continued.

"What about the Slovak Short Haired goats?" Malar asked.

"They are the greatest military secret in the land." Kubela agreed.

"A fact that utterly proves my point." Fritz said.

Accepting the truth of Fritz argument, Tiso moved to the last part of the agenda.

"Any relevant news from the wider war?"

"The Hungaro-German forces in Munich developed a cunning strategy to stop the Poles from capturing the city." Kubela said.

Tiso refused to get his hopes up about this news.

"They let an American division capture it instead." General Malar said.

IRqjKls.jpg

The plan achieved the objective, so technically we must call it a success. Also of note lots of Allied armour running around Southern Germany with very little to stop them.

"So Munich was still lost?" Tuka clarified.

"Yes, but that's a fault with the imprecise instructions given by Germany. They only said stop the Poles from capturing Munich, US forces were never mentioned." Kubela said.

As Von Killinger and Kublea started to argue about the validity of Auftragstaktik in an incompetently commanded defensive campaign, Tiso reached for his hipflask.

---
    Notes:
    The war continues to go badly and Slovakia's government continues to contain a surprising amount of goats (i.e. any amount above zero).

22nd January 1945
  • 22nd January 1945

Tiso and Tuka have been summoned to the Command Shed for a vital briefing. Given the Slovak General Staff's unusual definition of vital they aren't expecting much, but feel they should attend regardless.

"We have an item of military news and some foreign news." Fritz announced the agenda for the meeting.

Tuka raised an eyebrow.

"It is proper, actually relevant foreign news." Fritz confirmed.

"Lets begin with that." Tiso said.

"Stalin has decided to attempt to use the model of a federation of national republics as a solution to the Near Eastern Question." Fritz said.

"A bold choice, alas I fear it will not meet with success." Pruzinksy said.

"The history is not promising." Fritz agreed.

"What are you talking about?" Tuka yelled.

"I should have thought it was perfectly obvious." Pruzinksy looked affronted. "The latest iteration of pan-slavic Illyrianism is being enforced by Communist diktak."

Seeing the blank looks, Fritz passed over the map attached to the message.

RpoqXa5.jpg

Free Yugoslavia! Quite aside from the difficult question of exactly how 'free' once can be as a Stalinist puppet there are a few other questions about this liberation that need answering. Also of note, the huddled remnants of German Army Group E down in Albania waiting to finally be cornered and destroyed

"They appear to have missed a bit." Tiso commented.

"More than a bit." Tuka agreed.

It was Fritz's turn to look blank.

"Yugoslavia was bigger than that. Stalin missed a bit when he liberated the country." Tiso explained.

"Apparently this was deliberate, something about percentages." Fritz read from the report.

Tiso shrugged.

"Please tell us the military news." He asked

"The Heroes (2nd) of Paris have finally arrived, standing ready to defend the nation." General Kubela proudly announced.

"Really? I didn't notice them arrive down the mud track." Tuka said.

"They are not actually in Slovakia per se." Kubela admitted.

"General Jurech has deployed his troops in Vienna, to bolster the defence of Austria and hold our western flank." Malar explained.

SnLv0GS.jpg

The Slovako-Austrian Front, looking as consistent and well manned as most Axis frontlines in Southern Europe.
    "Why did he pick Vienna, which is a fair distance away, instead of Gänserndorf which is actually on our western flank?" Tiso asked the obvious question.

"Strategic reasons." Kubela said shiftly.

"He's waiting for Hungary to fall so he can claim the Former-Hapsburg-Empire Trousers isn't he?" Tuka guessed.

"Maybe." Malar conceded.

While Tuka and the General Staff loudly discussed the value of such an item, if indeed it existed and wasn't metaphorical, Tiso realised he had reached the end of the meeting without resorting to his hipflask. It wasn't much of an achievement, but in Slovakia one must take whatever wins you can.

--
    Notes:
    One can understand the German reluctance to defend Slovakia, but I'm afraid I cannot be as charitable about the German AIs decision not to bother defending Austria.

Yugoslavia has sort-of been liberated. I think Croatia being a weird government-in-exile-that-still-has-territory is confusing the game. Well confusing the game more than usual.

24th January 1945
  • 24th January 1945

We return to Bratislava where Supreme Vodca Tiso has been woken up early for an emergency meeting in the Command Shed. As he has very publicly had the snake-and-pencil pit serviced, with fresh snakes and newly sharpened pencils, he hopes the cabinet are not wasting his time.

"The British have taken Eisenstadt!" General Kubela announced.

"This is a shocking development." Tuka said.

"That the enemy are now at the gates of Bratislava?" Malar asked.

"No, I've been expecting that for a while." Tuka said. "It's seeing General Kubela managing to convey news quickly and efficiently that is truly shocking."

6v8KQmc.jpg

The Axis defence strategy for the Slovako-Austrian Front is perhaps not working quite as well as hoped.

"This is a most serious situation, what measures have the General Staff taken?" Tiso tried to drag the meeting back on track.

"A new Major Alert was announced." Kubela said.

"Colonel Alert was upset at the demotion, but someone must be held accountable." Malar explained.

Leaving Tuka to scream obscenities at the generals, Tiso contemplated the map. When his colleague paused for breath, he resumed questioning.

"Do we have any forces in the capital?" He asked.

"Just the men of the General Staff." Kubela said.

"Is there actually a plan to defend the capital?" Tiso asked urgently.

"Of course." Malar said reassuringly. "The 2nd (Heroes) of (Paris) Division will launch a spoiling attack on the British, distracting them and allowing time for the 1st to move back to the capital."

This sounded suspiciously competent to Tiso.

"How was this plan developed?" He asked.

"The OKW staff assisted." Baron von Killinger proudly replied.

"Were there any issues with this?" A slightly calmer Tuka managed to ask.

"A few." Malar admitted. Seeing Tuka start to turn red again he hurriedly continued. "Filling in all the German paperwork in triplicate may take a while."

"How. Long." Tuka menaced.

"About 70 hours." Kubela confessed.

x1LSsOi.jpg

Germanic inspired efficiency in action. Jurech's troops may well arrive late but they will have perfectly filed paperwork when they do.

"There is worse news, German Intellgience believe the Allies are attempting to raise a Fifth Column inside Bratislava to undermine it's defence." Von Killinger declared.

Tiso looked sceptical.

"Then why else is France sending spies to Slovakia?" Von Killinger passed over a message.

sMGg5Kh.jpg

To put this spy in our dungeons
    We followed the trail of onions
    His Parisian way
    Meant we caught him that day
    Once again demonstrating that existentialism's failure to engage with the Morphostatic ontology will always lead to error and epistemological failure.

Strong words (possibly) from Janko Jessneky on the practical and philosophical mistakes made by the latest French spy to have been captured.

"This does look like a concerted effort." Tuka agreed.

"Is there any other news, anything else we should be aware of?" Tiso asked his cabinet.

Junior-Alleged-Deputy Foreign Minister Durcansky looked at the note in his file, but then shook his head. This news was clearly not important.

Meanwhile, in Ulan Bator.

"Excellent news Comrade President." Prime Minister Jumdaagjin Tsendenbal announced. "Our glorious people's army has received a surge of volunteers."

President Gomgchigryn Bumtsend looked contemplative before responding.

"Don't we already require everyone to serve as the state demands?" He asked.

His Chief of Staff General Chimid nodded hurriedly.

"So this measure will in fact make no difference?"

General Chimid nodded again.

President Bumtsend turned to face his Prime Minister.

"You know well the punishment for wasting my time. Comrade Kollontay, take him away to do the necessary." President Bumstend ordered."

Tsendenbal looked around in a panic and then resigned himself to losing his first name.

fKmMyzA.jpg

The mostly lastname-less Mongolian government. Aside from chief name-remover Mikhailovna Kollontay only Foreign Minister Rosenberg had escaped thus far, due to his habit of never saying anything that might offend the President. Some suggested that he achieved this by never saying anything, because he was a long-dead skeleton. These people were never heard from again.

--
    Notes:
    The war finally reaches Bratislava and the Slovak Army is utterly unprepared for it.

The single named Mongolia government called to me and had to make an appearance. I'm assuming the usual collection of errors and corpses but Mongolia is not a country rich in sources or last names so I've not checked in detail. Rosenberg was Soviet Ambassador to Spain and purged to death in 1938. Kollontay was a Soviet theorist and feminist who was made a diplomat to get her out of the country (because Stalin was not a fan of feminism) though she is at least alive at this point. She was awarded the Order of the Aztec Eagle from the Mexican President, which is an excitingly named medal to get. Neither she nor Rosenberg ever had anything to do with Mongolia, obviously.

26th January 1945
  • 26th January 1945

We return to the suspiciously peaceful Bratislava where,h aving got bored of just waiting to be attacked, Tiso has summoned the Total War Cabinet for a meeting. He's not expecting any useful answers, but it will at least pass the time.

"When do we expect the 1st Division to arrive?" He asked.

"A few days." General Kubela admitted.

"And the 2nd still cannot attack until tomorrow?"

"The paperwork if very complicated." General Malar whined.

"So do we know why the Allies have not yet attacked Bratislava as it is essentially defenceless?" Tiso asked the cabinet.

"We think they might be distracted in the West." Kubela speculated.

"What could be so distracting as to deflect from the Race to Bratislava?" Tuka asked.

"There might have been a slight misunderstanding, the OKW may have failed to fully grasp the subtlety of the Führer's orders." Baron Von Killinger admitted.

Tiso and Tuka exchanged a glance at this utterly unsanctioned use of scare Umlaut resources.

"The Führer commanded that Liege be declared a Fortress and held at all costs." Von Killinger continued.

"And it wasn't held?" Tuka asked.

"It is still holding out now against a massive Allied assault." Von Killinger boasted.

"Well then how could such a simple order get misunderstood?" Tiso asked.

"The OKW may have carried out the order a bit too well and been slightly literal about 'at all costs'." Von Killinger handed over the latest map.

iUgUuup.jpg

The German forces in the West have heard about this 'front line' idea and will have no truck with it. Vast gaps between isolated units, ideally all wearing foreign uniforms, this is the doctrine that will bring victory. It just won't necessarily bring it to Germany.

"Army Group B have held Liege, but they have most of the Netherlands while doing so." Kubela explained.

"Surely that's not all the German forces in the West?" Tiso asked in shock.

"No of course not." Malar reassured them.

"That's a relief." Tuka said. Tiso glared at him for relaxing far too early in the conversation.

"The rest of the troops are in Army Group G fighting to escape a pocket in Southern France." Kubela explained.

f14TB3L.jpg

Two German armies, the 1st and the 19th, scramble to escape from the South of France pocket. Meanwhile the mighty SHAT IIs continue to rumble ominously along the Riviera.

Tiso looked triumphantly at Tuka, who sighed sadly and wished he had a Presidential hipflask.

"I doubt these issues will delay the Allies for long, if indeed they are the reason. We must activate the Contingency." Tiso announced.

A gasp went around the room.

Meanwhile, in Graz
    The Allied High Command are not discussing Slovakia, they are not even in Graz. However Mallory and Miller are.

"We've been asked to put together a report about progress at the front." Major Mallory told his subordinate.

"Should be straightfoward enough, sir." Sargeant Miller replied.

"That's what I though, just got this strange reference to someone's child falling into a volcano." Mallory pointed at the relevant section.

"We could just not mention anything about Brats-in-lava and see if anyone notices?" Miller suggested.

"Capital idea." Mallory nodded. "Just need to explain why the speed of advance has slowed."

"I think this covers it."

12RqJGd.jpg

The Rancid Yak-Butter tea supply has been cut-off at sources, this will be a crippling blow to the War Effort. If only the Industry Monk hadn't interpreted the Dali Lama's thrown rusk as meaning a 15% wage cut for all factory staff this might have been avoided.

Mallory raised an eyebrow.

"The lack of yak-butter tea has had a significant effect on morale, sir." Miller explained.

Mallory contrived to raise his eyebrow slightly higher.

"The men can now open a ration pack without fear of being ambushed by a rancid tea-abomination, they are too busy celebrating this relief to do much fighting." Miller continued.

"Seems as plausible as anything else." Mallory nodded.

---
    Notes:
    The German AI has just got itself terminally confused at this point. The British AI has, after a slow start, finally got the hang of Western Europe and the results are no pretty for the Axis.

You've already met the Tibetan cabinet and it was only mildly broken, though the pig-headed, isolationist, fascist toddler Head of State still makes me smile.