• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Some might recall an AAR I wished to start a few years back concerning the Wars of the Roses (a purely narrative attempt that you can read here.) I never could quite find the game to start that story, at least here on the forum. So when the new game came out, I could not help myself but try the English campaign and see what the events did to the tale. The end result was mixed.

I started up the game and found myself immediately at war with France as most are familiar with in this campaign. I will also admit, it took me a few restarts due to both the new game and adjustment to new variables to get the attempt to work. I ended up gaining military access with Brittany and hiding the English troops that I rescued from the south until I was ready to travel out on chevauchee into the French countryside. My army ended up in Paris, and holding the capital, was able to strike a good peace keeping all my continental possessions. Then it happened...Henry died without issue in game (poor Edward...Margaret of Anjou has a few things to say about that.)

The start does coincide when I was planning my own tale, or thereabouts but yet again, there is not enough focus on poor Richard. Yes, you still get him at first as a great general, but when the event fired in-game, I ended up with a king named George. George Plantagenet of York, one assumes, but far before 1460 and I was not ready to give up the dream. I could still work around this story-wise. And thus, I went into coding mode, finding the file and changing my King...

And let me just say to all those wondering about England's start in EUIV...no, it is not easy. Between the various rebel factions, pretenders and Lollards alike as well as French, Scots or any other...I had a hard time keeping up my manpower dealing with it. That Lancastrian army also has a goodly amount of cavalry which is still powerful early in game.

At least I lucked out and got a proper Edward as challenger and by God, he fought me. By 1454, here we are...

Let's just say, we lost. And I continued to have issues with keeping up the manpower of my armies as I chased Lancastrian rebels all over the place. It took until 1456 to have a decisive battle...

The Battle of Wessex seemed to see the tide turn and very soon after, we finally win the famed Wars of the Roses.

And it's only 1456. Richard finally gets to be King. And then he promptly dies an early death. Still, he died peacefully rather than with his head on a pike at the gates of York. In fact, even Richard Neville, Salisbury to you and me, lives until 1462. All things considered, it works as a game. Not historically, to be sure, but it works in this alt-universe. When all is said and done, I am left with this as my heir:

And that's when it got to me...what happened to Cecily, dammit? She never had a child from Savoy! ;) Maybe that was simply where the child was conceived. :D

Seriously, the game was wonderful. :) It was not so historically accurate, but that isn't quite why we play these games. It did give an alt-history in which to tell an interesting story should I wish to do so. And further to that, was a hell of a challenge between beating of the French initially and then dealing with the onslaught of rebellion. Many have said this start with England is difficult and they are correct. But those that say it is impossible are wrong. It is infinitely doable and likely better than what I was able to do. Let's just say that coz1's love of loans is still in effect.*

(* yes inflation came up in the equation once again. ;) )

I ended up with a few other smaller wars as I wormed my way into Ireland and looked at Scotland with arched eyebrow. However, it took me forever to regain my manpower. In the midst of that, France decided to DoW. Again, England does not get an easy start. However, this is a true AAR...my after action report of the WOTR for those interested. I can give you more details as asked, but suffice to say it does not model it perfectly. Not yet at least. I'd like to see a bit more detail at least at the start of the game as to who is who in the dynastic game. Can't be that hard to see that the first York on the throne might be the Duke of York seeing as how he is older than the terrible Henry and his 0 0 0 stats. Randomness is allowed to take over, but this is the CK engine so the ties should already be there at the start.

All other things considered, however...WOW! What an awesome game! I can't say I have enjoyed playing EU like this in a long, long time and I have played every single one since the first. This iteration is a wonderful addition to that tradition and I can readily say that trade, diplomats, rebels, war and so many other things are that much better this time round. Kudos Paradox!

I may have more of this if others are interested but have little time to write AARs these days. Suffice to say that by 1495, here we are as England...

As you can see, I could not leave Scotland alone. To paraphrase an old Monty Python sketch, I'd like to tax Scotland, and I've a feeling Scotland would tax me. ;) I've played further and will continue to do so. I'll add more to this as other interesting things crop up perhaps. But for now I wish to say my AAR is here to declare EUIV a success and the WOTR event stream quite lacking. The civil wars in England of the time are a direct result of soldiers coming home from the HYW and should model that as much as who is king without an heir. In fact, that wasn't why the WOTR started. Henry had an heir...he just didn't have great stats. ;)

My tale is still waiting for the proper game to present it. Frankly, I am starting to think I should just write the narrative bits from the history we know and forget about modeling it on a game. But then where would the AAR come from? :p Hope you enjoyed.

Very nice, coz. Good to see you back in the saddle, even for just a brief look at the WotR.

Other than the timeline, I want to say CK2 would be better at telling a true, narrative style War of the Roses. You need a lot of personalities to make something like that work.

I agree that the more character driven CK2 would be much better for telling the tale of TWOR, but your war actually looked pretty interesting none the less.

Yes, nice read. I remember your original War of the Roses fondly.

Thanks all! Glad you recall my WOTR, LD. Had a lot of fun writing that and still hoping to move forward at some point.

As for the over all thing, yes CK may be the ideal setup, character-wise, but the RL tale actually has so many of them. Thus my frustration that Richard, Duke of York, isn't already scripted as the next up so early. No matter. I at least got him in there. ;) Richard III indeed. I'm still laughing over George getting the call since that meant they skipped right over Edmund and Edward too.

For those wondering, England is flourishing in this timeline under Yorkist/Savoyard kings. By the mid 16th century, we are colonizing Manhattan and Massachusetts and still taxing the Scots. And yes, they are still taxing me. Oh, and we went Protestant too. Decided to go with the flow. :)

Nice dollop of bite-size AARing. And good to see you putting pen to paper, as it were, coz1. It might not have been the War of the Roses you wanted, but it was an interesting conflict nonetheless. I was going to applaud you for hanging on to your continental possessions, but by the looks of you 1495 screenshot, you did surrender them to the French at some point. Oh well, Go West Young Man and all that. Who needs Normandy and the Languedoc anyway, when you can have New England?

Lovely writeup coz.:) It's good to see the oldtimers doing some AARs again!

Nice dollop of bite-size AARing. And good to see you putting pen to paper, as it were, coz1. It might not have been the War of the Roses you wanted, but it was an interesting conflict nonetheless. I was going to applaud you for hanging on to your continental possessions, but by the looks of you 1495 screenshot, you did surrender them to the French at some point. Oh well, Go West Young Man and all that. Who needs Normandy and the Languedoc anyway, when you can have New England?

Indeed, I lost the continental possessions after the French DoW'd me mentioned above. I figured exactly as you did...go west young man. ;) Wonderful to see a comment from one of the best!

Lovely writeup coz.:) It's good to see the oldtimers doing some AARs again!

And great to see you stop by Nikolai! I can always count on you to throw a comment my way. EU players cannot help but write, right? ;)

I will say that I am now past this game and now trying to make Brandenburg make something of themselves. Those that know my history know that I could not help myself. :D

That was breathtaking! :)

But I was hoping to get to follow your AAR! I'll keep an eye out for another...

Renss