• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am indeed curious as to where Alberic ends up - to be sure this will make Geoffrey the paramount Lord of the Realm.

But the family dynamics ... this could be poisonous.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have commenced the long haul to catch up - this AAR has been on my ‘must read list’ for a while!

• 1Like
Reactions:
More women stuff. A short rest, certainly. Foulques does deserve it. Now even more as his son's ambitions have begun to bear fruit. The future will be a true test. With his nephew on the council being bad enough, how would the old duke react if his son opposed him?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Before I get into the comments, I'd like to note that a long while back I said that something happened in the game that I'd never seen before. This event was it. Prior to this I'd never had a dynasty member installed by rebels. I did not even know it was possible if the character did not live in the duchy. It caught me totally by surprise. But I liked it, because I didn't have a role in it, and it left me with a less advantageous situation than you might expect.

On to your awesome comments.

Well, the rivalry between Foulques and Geoffrey just got a lot more interesting now that Geoffrey is a Duke in his own right, and potentially the Chancellor of the realm soon with that Diplo score.

It might be time to start paying a little bit more attention to the goings on of his own court and make sure to not piss off too many people in the King's court, either. Geoffrey could get very dangerous, very fast, especially being your heir. People will naturally like him a great deal, and Foulques is not the most beloved Duke of the realm either. I hope the AI doesn't disappoint with all the different ways this could now go!

Grats to the family though, I've never seen that happen in one of my games, where a child of mine is installed upon a different throne (of any level) by rebels.

I'm sensing there is a lot more opportunity for the family now that Alberic has been knocked down a peg. Good luck managing the fallout!

You are right in that people naturally Geoffrey, who continues to grow as a diplomat. But Foulques has a rather large saving grace at the moment - Geoffrey isn't nearly as free as you'd think. The next update will illustrate that. But he's a Duke and even if things are not immediate, he's going to start to get involved with the politics of the realm.

As noted above, I'd never seen it either! But I wonder if that was because I wasn't looking hard enough. Semi-spoiler, this won't be the last time you'll be seeing it.

Yes, there will be opportunity. This seems like a conclusion. But it actually isn't. Things are just getting started in that region of France.

The betrothal is a compromise that feels as if it will come back to haunt someone.

And what of Alberic?

Honestly, I regretted doing that betrothal later on. Not necessarily because of anything that happened, just because I didn't like how closely they were related. But I was not certain what would happen should Geoffrey die and his son is sickly, so I wanted to make sure the dynasty continued.

What of Alberic? Things are happening and will happen is all I can say for now.

Long live the young Duke!

Hear, hear! I was pleased for him. Though it did not go down how I expected, in any sense. More on that in the next chapter.

Well well well, as said above this is a very rare happenstance and I wonder what effect it will have on the already strained relations between Foulques and his son. Aquitaine is a powerful Duchy-maybe more powerful than Anjou-I am not sure. It will be very interesting to see what happens

It does change things, but perhaps not in the way people may expect. Aquitaine should be a powerful duchy, but... well you'll see in the next chapter! That's going to also play a role in how this plays out. Honestly, it's not how I would have planned it, but the game had other ideas.

Now that Geoffrey is a Duke I wonder how that will change his relationship with Foulques and how Foulques will handle the change in status of his son. I have a bad feeling about the betrothal. These kind of things never seem to go Foulques' way.

I didn't get a chance to comment on the previous chapter so here it is.

I like how Foulques was able to keep the king from making a horrendous mistake. Could the king finally be learning to trust Foulques?

I think at this point, Philippe trusts Foulques, as much as he might trust a duke. Foulques could have left him. He didn't. And in the end, he has learned to defer to Foulques' strength on the battlefield.

The relationship will change. But Geoffrey will not be Foulques' equal - at least not to start. And his own hangups are going to give Foulques a great deal of say in things going forward - as you'll see in the next chapter.

Ah Foulques, despite looking like a Medieval Darth Vader with that mask of his, at least he's trying to keep his king from tearing the realm asunder. The plot thickens! With Geoffrey as Duke it looks like things might get worse if both father and son do not reconcile.

Well he's a loyal servant of his master, even if he does not necessarily like him, like any good Darth Vader character! As for father and son, their relationship will remain complicated.

That new bastard he's breeding might come back to bite him. The new duke is set to inherit his father's private kingdom and with it the assurance that the House and Dynasty will be stable and strong for another's generation. But the old duke's indiscretions are going to cause problems (already have, but others have commented on the betrothal) that political enemies are going to seize upon to try and break up Anjou. The king also now has a new and powerful duke to deal with and learn about, since they have not interacted much before. And his father is still a,I've as well. If they could unite or at least get on, they represent a powerful faction in France. However, I am sure they will be kept at odds by everyone else trying to stop that from happening.

You lay out the situation well - though Geoffrey isn't as powerful as he thought he'd be. (Nor what I'd thought he'd be, when I figured out what was happening) However, the long-term potential of this is still extremely dangerous because Geoffrey doesn't necessarily have to be powerful through Aquitaine - he still has Anjou behind him. In some ways, as you'll see in the next part, it may well help that father and son aren't on equal footing.

The larger issues of the realm is something to keep in mind as well. France isn't going to quite devolve into the mess that it is in @coz1 The Rightful King and The Bold Price AARs but it's not going to be clean either. That's going to keep people occupied on other things than just the Angevins.

What's the relationship score now between father and son? I know they're rivals, but with him ruling an area nearly as rich as his, I don't think there'll be too many assassination plots. Also, whenever Foulques passes on, Geoffrey will suddenly find himself in charge of over a quarter of France... and most likely will be serving a younger King than Phillippe for most of his lifetime.

You'll see in the next part. There is a Geoffrey, Duke of Aquitaine screenshot.

As for your point about what happens when Foulques dies... well... I can't say. But that is a distinct possibility. ;)

I am indeed curious as to where Alberic ends up - to be sure this will make Geoffrey the paramount Lord of the Realm.

But the family dynamics ... this could be poisonous.

Alberic ended up in Gascony. He's wounded, but as you'll see, not defeated yet. Of course, he's also still Alberic, so he's really, really good at pissing everyone else off.

The Angevin family dynamics are going to be something. But there's more to the family than Geoffrey and Foulques. Everyone in that region is all closely linked. Consider:

Geoffrey is Alberic's cousin and holds the claim on Poitou.
Geoffrey's wife Marguerite is Alberic's niece, and holds claims on Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony.
Gilles is Geoffrey's cousin and has a de jure claim on Tours.
Gilles is married to Peronelle, who is Geoffrey's cousin, Marguerite's aunt, Alberic's sister, who holds strong claims on Aquitaine, Poitou and Gascony (she's the heir to Gascony as well).
Alberic has a sister, Patricia, who also holds strong claims on all three and is currently the heir to Poitou.
There's still young Adhemar, Aines' son, born after Foulques killed his father. He holds claims on all three as well. And Aines other two daughters, who do as well.

Suffice to say, this is a powder keg. Geoffrey taking Aquitaine started to set off sparks - though there are other sparks coming down as well. You can see where this is all headed.

Have commenced the long haul to catch up - this AAR has been on my ‘must read list’ for a while!

Welcome aboard and good luck! I hope it lives up to your expectations! (No need to rush either - it's a lot to read)

More women stuff. A short rest, certainly. Foulques does deserve it. Now even more as his son's ambitions have begun to bear fruit. The future will be a true test. With his nephew on the council being bad enough, how would the old duke react if his son opposed him?

There will be more women stuff in the future. He and Haldora... they just don't really work, unfortunately. And it could have been worse. It's been mentioned once, but Etiennette's mother Ermengarda was offered by the game multiple times, but decided against it.

An interesting question. Geoffrey does have a future on the council - but the realm may well be a different place by then.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. Many of you thought as I did, that this would mean Geoffrey controlled a great deal of territory to rival his father. Well... the game had other ideas. It's a spoiler, but that's going to shape much of the next chapter. But that doesn't diminish the importance. It's an opening - and Geoffrey is going to barge through it.

The next chapter follows. And given the events, I decided it would work better from Geoffrey's perspective. Hope you all enjoy.

Reactions:
Chapter 85 - August 1095
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 85
August 1095- Anjou, France

Geoffrey was silent as he looked himself over.

His leather armor was a proper fit. At his side, his sword was attached at his belt It looked sturdy, well-made from the blacksmith in Anjou.

It all appeared new - never worn, never used. That was because it had not - Geoffrey had not seen true battle before. But it looked the part - and that, perhaps, was the most important aspect.

1095_Geoffrey_as_Duke_of_Aquitaine.jpg

“You fuss too much,” Agnes said. “Travel to Aquitaine will not be kind to your outfit.”

Geoffrey rolled his eyes. “Even now, you criticize.”

“Because I will not be able to for some time,” Agnes said with a smile. “I do not know when you shall return. And…”

“You do not want to wish for it,” Geoffrey said. “Because of what that would mean for our father.”

“I hope that your time apart will mend your relationship,” Agnes said. “You can do much for one another, especially now that you are a duke.”

Yes, a man with but three counties under his control can do much for a man with five under his direct oversight, Geoffrey thought.

That was frustrating. Geoffrey had thought he would gain control over all of the de jure counties of Aquitaine. Instead, the agreement saw Alias win just Bordeaux, Perigord and Ages, just a fraction of what Geoffrey would have expected. It left Aquitaine weak and divided, and Geoffrey, who controlled just the keep in Bordeaux, the most powerless duke in the realm.

1095_Aquitaine.jpg

“I would have expected you to point out that I control but a tiny bit of Aquitaine,” Geoffrey said.

“You are a duke,” Agnes said. “Your plan has succeeded. I shall only congratulate you - it is deserved.”

“Thank you sister,” Geoffrey said, realizing he had been too harsh. He knew he must do better now - his survival depended on it.

And as he looked into her eyes and felt a measure of sadness. He was leaving her… leaving this place, where he had called his home, for who knew how long?

“You should come with me,” he said. “I would find you a husband. I know not what father waits on, but I will not.”

Agnes smiled but crossed her arms. “I wonder, do wish for me to come, or do you mainly wish for Alearde to join you?”

Geoffrey blushed. “I’ll have you know… I could have. But I didn’t.”

“She told me as such,” Agnes said. “Very mature of you. A good sign that you will be wise as a ruler.”

It wasn’t entirely maturity. Not long after finding out the success of the rebellion from Alias, Geoffrey had celebrated the victory. That evening, feeling the alcohol, he had stumbled upon Alearde and told her of his long-standing affections for her and told her to accompany him to Aquitaine - he would treat her like the duchess herself.

She had blushed, perhaps flattered that a man half her age still desired her. But she did not have much interest, to Geoffrey’s disappointment. She was wise to frame it as asking whether Geoffrey wished to have a woman who had been with both his father and his cousin.

As much as Geoffrey wished to say yes - after all he felt far worse about having a wife who had repeatedly laid with his former best friend - the appeal to his pride worked.

Instead of laying with him, she had told him how proud she was of his success and wished him the best. Even though he wished for more, her words were oddly comforting.

“Perhaps I just fear having no one I know around me,” Geoffrey admitted. “No one I can trust. Alearde was also from there. She likely knows it much better than me, even if she has been gone for sometime.”

“You cannot have her, regardless,” Agnes said. “And you will do fine. You are, dare I say, charming, when you wish to be. You will win them over in time.”

He did not feel as certain. And that Agnes tried to make him believe made this departure even more bittersweet - he now truly wished she would come with him.

But she would not. Nor would Herve, whom he had approached as well. Geoffrey offered to make him his marshal, but Herve declined. His cousin preferred to remain in Anjou, where he felt loyalty to Foulques - not surprising, but still something Geoffrey did not wish to hear.

No, instead of having his sister and his cousin with him to aid his transition in Aquitaine, he was leaving Anjou to them.

1095_Agnes_states.jpg

Geoffrey took another deep breath. “I think it is time for me to speak with our father before I depart.”

“I shall leave you to it then,” Agnes replied.

Geoffrey smiled, but he felt the stinging in his eyes again. The two siblings embraced, with Geoffrey giving his sister a kiss on the forehead.

“Thank you for all you have done for me,” Geoffrey said. “I know I was not always appreciative…”

“We are family,” Agnes said. “It is what we do.”

“Can I ask you one more thing?” Geoffrey began. “Look over Anjou as you have me. I wish for it and its people to be strong for when I return. And I would trust no one more than you for that task - not even father. He is… too blinded at times by desire.”

Now it was Agnes’ turn to tear up. She squeezed Geoffrey so tightly he could feel the air being pushed from his lungs.

Their embrace over, Geoffrey began his walk to the main hall. But when his father was not present, he changed course and went to the duke’s chambers.

Before he could knock the door opened and Etiennette walked out. She turned red upon making eye contact, which she quickly averted as she shuffled past him, prompting Geoffrey to roll his eyes.

I do not know if my timing is excellent or poor, Geoffrey thought.

However, his father was dressed when Geoffrey entered.

“Do you need something?” Foulques asked him.

“Yes, I depart shortly, but there is business that we must discuss,” Geoffrey replied.

Foulques offered him a seat at the small table, followed by a cup of wine. It was a strange feeling. For the first time in his life, Geoffrey was his father’s equal. His peer. Direct vassals to the King of the Franks. Second only to Philippe in terms of rank within the realm.

And yet, Geoffrey knew it to be untrue. He was his father’s peer in rank, but in reality, he held but a fraction of the power Foulques did. With the war draining resources everywhere, Foulques held the largest levy in the realm. He was the king’s most trusted adviser, at least by appearances.

And the cold hard truth was Geoffrey needed him now more than ever.

“What is your business?” Foulques asked.

“The relationship between Anjou and Aquitaine,” Geoffrey said. “I would like us to be allies.”

“Allies?” Foulques asked. “An interesting proposition.”

Foulques paced about the room, sipping his wine. He eventually threw Geoffrey a glance, sly smile on his face. “Duke Geoffrey, alliances usually are mutually beneficial. Yet you hold barely any army to speak of. What benefit would I see from such an agreement?”

A chill ran Geoffrey’s spine. His father would not… abandon him now, would he? He had less than 500 men to his name after Aquitaine’s resources were drained in the war, and few vassals to back him thanks to the poor agreement that had been negotiated. With no alliance, there was a strong possibility his reign in Aquitaine would be short.

“You would… abandon me?” Geoffrey asked. “Your son?”

“You made your plans,” Foulques said. “And did not include me in them. This is your bed. I should allow you to lay in it. But… I offer you a chance. Prove to me why this alliance is worth my time, and I shall consider it.”

He wishes me to dance for him one last time, Geoffrey thought. It was infuriating. Humiliating. Infantile.

But what choice did Geoffrey have?

“My forces are weak now, but they will grow in time,” Geoffrey replied. “You invest much now, for pay off later. As my uncle once did for you. And…”

“And?”

“You know mother would not have hesitated to make certain you defended her claims,” Geoffrey said. “I do not know if you would have listened to her, but… she would have tried.”

Foulques’ smirk disappeared.

Geoffrey wished to get his father to respect him, to value him, to see his potential - not for his approval, but for his own survival. He suspected his father held an affection for the late duchess so, it felt like a good idea to use her for his argument.

But upon seeing his father’s reaction, Geoffrey could not help but wonder: Have I pushed too far?

Foulques was silent for a time. He slowly walked over to the table and sat down across from Geoffrey. “I would… like to think I would have.”

He chuckled and Geoffrey could breathe once more.

“This was her dream, you know,” Foulques said. “She wished for you to hold Aquitaine and Poitou. At the time she thought it unlikely her brother would have a son. And so she thought you would be the perfect heir. Perhaps she had better foresight than any of us.”

Geoffrey felt the stinging in his eyes once more.

“Well, I do not have Poitou yet,” he said. “But perhaps, with your aid.”

“Perhaps, but you must be wise in your ambition,” Foulques warned. “It is no accident that you are victorious but not strong. The lords of the realm dislike Alberic as much as his vassals do. But they wish him humbled and weakened. They will not like you if you completely replace him. They are not fools - they can see a future where one man controls most of the western half of the realm.”

Geoffrey could not resist a smile at that thought. “Then I shall have to be careful in how I move about things.”

“Very careful,” Foulques said. “I shield you somewhat. But I will not be here forever.”

A strangely uncomfortable thought, Geoffrey said to himself. It was not what he expected.

“Then, we have an alliance?” Geoffrey asked.

“Yes,” Foulques replied. “Do not make me regret it. I risk drawing the ire of the dukes and the king, should you make a wrong move.”

Geoffrey nodded. He was not certain he could avoid it - but he would be cautious in the early days.

“Thank you father,” he said. “I have… another request.”

“An alliance is not enough?” Foulques asked. “You would be wise to not overreach as your predecessor likes to do.”

“It is not for me,” Geoffrey said. “It is… Agnes.”

Foulques’ brow raised. “What of her?”

“She is a woman,” Geoffrey began. “But a wise one. Like mother. And you would do well to listen to her counsel. Grant her say in the affairs of the duchy, as you did before. I would daresay do so over your current wife. I do not think the duchess is a bad woman, but she does not know Anjou like my sister.”

Foulques stroked his beard. “I will think on what you say.”

“Thank you father,” Geoffrey said.

“Is that it then?” Foulques asked.

Geoffrey sighed and looked down. “No, there is one more matter. But I am not proud of it.”

“What is it?”

Geoffrey pushed himself from the table and began to pace the room. Finally he looked back at Foulques.

“I go to Aquitaine alone,” Geoffrey said.

“I am aware,” Foulques said. “You asked your sister and your cousin to join you, but they refused.”

“Yes,” Geoffrey said. “But that is not what I speak of. I will go to Aquitaine without Marguerite and the children.”

“You leave your wife and children behind, here?” Foulques asked. “You cannot be serious.”

“I am serious,” Geoffrey said. “I… struggle to look at her without being overcome by rage. I know the daughter she has just borne me is not mine, even if publically I accept her as such. It… I simply cannot be around her at this time.”

1095_Beatritz_d_Anjou.jpg

“What of your son?” Foulques asked.

“I do believe him to be mine,” Geoffrey said. “And yet… part of me even doubts that. I hate her, father, I hate what she has done to me. Perhaps I can forgive her in time, but… not now.”

“It will not look well upon you,” Foulques said. “On either of you. And did you not wish to use her to make your claim stronger?”

“I have won the duchy,” Geoffrey said. “And your armies are stronger than any marriage bond.”

Foulques did not appear pleased, staring Geoffrey down by tapping the table with his fingers.

“I know I ask much of you father,” Geoffrey said. “Perhaps more than should be. But… I do not think myself capable of handling her or my son now. If that changes, I will send for them. I swear to it.”

Foulques shook his head. “I expected more from you.”

“That is the first I have heard of it,” Geoffrey said. He paused. “But… I am sorry to let you down, father.”

“You will have what you wish,” Foulques said. “Now go.”

“Thank you father,” Geoffrey said. “It means a great deal--”

“Go!” Foulques ordered as he pointed toward the door.

It took Geoffrey aback. He did not expect his father to be angry over that decision. Surely he understood why he did not wish Marguerite and the children with him? And Geoffrey had presented it in as flattering a light as possible to his father - he declined to blame him for the mess once more, after all.

But Geoffrey said nothing, instead slinking from the chambers quietly.

1095_Marguerite_in_Anjou.jpg

1095_Foulques_in_Anjou.jpg

….

Not long afterward, Geoffrey had mounted his horse, at the head of a small group of knights. Some were from Anjou, but most were part of the levy of Alias of Perigord, who had remained after delivering the news.

“Are you prepared, my lord?” Alias asked him.

Geoffrey looked back at the keep. His home for much of his life - and even when it was not, its inhabitants looked after him, shaped him. He did not always agree with them, but… their influence on him was undeniable.

And there was no guarantee he would see any of them again.

Did mother feel this way, he wondered to himself, when she came to Anjou?

He remembered his father’s words on how Beatritz de Poitou once dreamed of her son returning to claim her birthright.

He had managed part of it. And in time, he might take all of it.

“I am, Alias,” Geoffrey said. “Let us go and continue what has been started.”

Geoffrey checked back as the keep of his birth grew smaller in the distance. Yet as he glanced up to the heavens, he smiled.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A very touching set of scenes, both Foulques and Geoffrey revealed in their vulnerability and their strength. I must say in this update I am warming to Geoffrey a little more.

I wonder where Agnes will fall, as the family reforms. And it might not be long before Foulques' own passing.

In more ways than one does the father shield the son

• 1Like
Reactions:
Geoffrey had to endure a great deal of humbling in this chapter. He is also facing the great unknown with no one beside him. I can relate to his uncertainty and dare I say fear.

I also sense that Foulques knows what to make of the situation. On one hand he has his family pride on the other he does not want to be made the fool by any missteps by Geoffrey. I feel he thinks Geoffrey will make quite a few of them.

Looks like there is quite a ride coming up.

Reactions:
Well. Marguerite seems to have been quite busy entertaining herself while Geoffrey was busy with Aquitaine. I wonder if the younger Foulques is truly Geoffrey's or not. I suppose it does not matter in the long run though it's certainly depressing to know.

What a horribly flawed series of events with that family.

Reactions:
Still, they have nothing on the real Plantagenets yet. Their perversions, indiscretions and infighting caused an exceptionally costly civil war and the chance of England and France uniting together under one family.

Reactions:
An interesting dialogue there. Foulques seems proud of his son for seeing his ambitions through and fulfilling his mother's wishes, yet he's outraged over Geoffrey flouting his familial duty. Of course, with all his philandering Foulques himself isn't one to talk on that front -- but then, he at least has never openly abandoned his own blood; even his rivalry with the elder Geoffrey was (initially) pursued in the interests of keeping the family strong.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A magnificent chapter and all the more so for it's understated atmosphere. Touching and moving between brother and sister and also touching how Geoffrey is learning the art of diplomacy where his father is concerned. And who can blame him re his wife and son-I don't know whether that was an in-game factor (them staying in Anjou) but the way you wrote it really captured his humanity-well done for telling to from his perspective.

And so to chapters new for the young man and is it just me or does Foulques somehow seem more vigorous and full of life? I swear a few chapters ago I thought he was for his maker but now I am sensing a long life in the offing...how old is he?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Some great dialogue. I especially loved this bit, it really sums up the complicated and difficult relationship between father and son.

“Very careful,” Foulques said. “I shield you somewhat. But I will not be here forever.”

A strangely uncomfortable thought, Geoffrey said to himself. It was not what he expected.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A very touching set of scenes, both Foulques and Geoffrey revealed in their vulnerability and their strength. I must say in this update I am warming to Geoffrey a little more.

I wonder where Agnes will fall, as the family reforms. And it might not be long before Foulques' own passing.

In more ways than one does the father shield the son

I'm glad that you're liking Geoffrey a little more. He's not meant to be perfect (no one in this AAR is) but I am trying to balance him having some of his father's traits but not all, while being forged in a different situation. He will be like some of the men in his family in more ways than one, but I aim to forge a little different path with him in the future.

Agnes will have a role to play going forward. As Geoffrey notes, he's leaving Anjou to her (for now anyway) and I'd gather she's actually Foulques' favorite child. And she grows older and more mature while others Foulques trust near the end of the line...

Geoffrey had to endure a great deal of humbling in this chapter. He is also facing the great unknown with no one beside him. I can relate to his uncertainty and dare I say fear.

I also sense that Foulques knows what to make of the situation. On one hand he has his family pride on the other he does not want to be made the fool by any missteps by Geoffrey. I feel he thinks Geoffrey will make quite a few of them.

Looks like there is quite a ride coming up.

Geoffrey's humbling reflects my own. Imagine what I thought when I saw he had less than 100 soldiers to his name as Duke of Aquitaine! I really did not have any idea on how it would turn out, even with the alliance - both with the other lords of France and also Geoffrey's own court - being French in an Occitan-heavy duchy.

Your feeling is correct - Foulques is both pleased by his son's ambition but wary that he is naive. Heck, it's unstated here because it takes place from Geoffrey's point of view, but Foulques thinks placing trust in Alias of Perigord to win this rebellion for him was a mistake. (And judging by how little of Aquitaine Geoffrey received, perhaps Foulques is right)

The ride's going to be bumpy. But not just in Aquitaine.

Well. Marguerite seems to have been quite busy entertaining herself while Geoffrey was busy with Aquitaine. I wonder if the younger Foulques is truly Geoffrey's or not. I suppose it does not matter in the long run though it's certainly depressing to know.

What a horribly flawed series of events with that family.

There's no way to know 100% without opening up the game data (which I won't do). I've mentioned before the birth date trick, so I remain fairly confident the young Foulques is Geoffrey's son, but there's no way to be certain without opening up the data. Which is how I like it. On the other hand, I am fairly certain Beatritz is NOT Geoffrey's daughter - Marguerite getting the comforted by lover right around the time of conception kind of makes it suspect, even if, in game she is listed as Geoffrey's daughter. But since he still despises Marguerite in game, I thought his reaction here was justified.

The Angevin-Poitou line is not exactly the happiest. And when you extend it to the Bourges-Angevin-Poitou, it becomes even messier. Semi-spoiler - it's not getting any cleaner.

Still, they have nothing on the real Plantagenets yet. Their perversions, indiscretions and infighting caused an exceptionally costly civil war and the chance of England and France uniting together under one family.

Patience young padawan. Even the real Plantagenets had not managed their true glory yet. They did have a nice scandal by this time (Foulques and Philippe and the hand of Bertrade de Montfort, grandmother to Geoffrey Plantagenet) but still had not nearly approached their heights. I hope to manage to come close in the long run.

(Also I can't tell if your civil war comment is referred to Henri II and his sons, Richard/John, John/Arthur of Brittany, with Philippe II playing them all, or the War of the Roses. Which probably speaks volumes for crazy nature of the family.)

An interesting dialogue there. Foulques seems proud of his son for seeing his ambitions through and fulfilling his mother's wishes, yet he's outraged over Geoffrey flouting his familial duty. Of course, with all his philandering Foulques himself isn't one to talk on that front -- but then, he at least has never openly abandoned his own blood; even his rivalry with the elder Geoffrey was (initially) pursued in the interests of keeping the family strong.

You touch on all the reasons this is a conflicting moment for Foulques. His son has achieved something impressive here - managing to claim his perceived birthright without actually lifting a finger (at least in combat) himself. And yet, he did so by relying on Alias of Perigord (and being hurt in the process) and now he basically has dragged Foulques into the conflict, without his consent, if he wishes to remain in power.

Likewise, Foulques may be sympathetic to why Geoffrey wishes to leave his wife behind, but he is content to dump the situation on Foulques without real consent - his "request" here is more formality than asking permission. Foulques is a hypocrite, but I also think he's justified in being annoyed that his son seeks to stand on his own two feet while using Foulques as a crutch as more ways than one.

A magnificent chapter and all the more so for it's understated atmosphere. Touching and moving between brother and sister and also touching how Geoffrey is learning the art of diplomacy where his father is concerned. And who can blame him re his wife and son-I don't know whether that was an in-game factor (them staying in Anjou) but the way you wrote it really captured his humanity-well done for telling to from his perspective.

And so to chapters new for the young man and is it just me or does Foulques somehow seem more vigorous and full of life? I swear a few chapters ago I thought he was for his maker but now I am sensing a long life in the offing...how old is he?

Thanks for that! I actually do not know why they all remained in Anjou - perhaps because Geoffrey was installed rather than conquered himself either via host or by me doing it? I was surprised to see it, and it was not intentional on my end. But given Geoffrey's toxic relationship with Marguerite, I thought it worked well, especially after I basically figured out Beatritz wasn't his. (The pre-marriage stuff could be rationalized to a degree. Post-marriage affair... that's even harder to stomach). I'm glad I captured it well in your opinion, since there were a few ways I debated on writing it, often depending on whose perspective I told the chapter from.

Yes, I have essentially written Foulques as having a bit of a resurgence. He's most at home in war, and that has been his place for the last few years. Between his chat with Toulouse and overseeing a conflict, wrote him as re-energized. (Unlike a character like Philippe, who is being dragged down, our duke is more at home now than he was in peace, especially since Anjou has been completely untouched) Foulques is 52, going on 53. In real life, he actually lasted until 1109, so it's quite possible he's got some time left yet!

Some great dialogue. I especially loved this bit, it really sums up the complicated and difficult relationship between father and son.

Thanks! A big part of the reason I wrote this chapter from Geoffrey's perspective was to convey that realization of his success had actually brought weakness. It could be turned into strength, but in truth, he needs his father now more than ever.

Plan is for the next part to go up Thursday. It is pretty much done, but the parts after are works in progress so no sense in rushing the next chapter out.

As always, thanks for the comments and feedback!

Reactions:
I suppose not knowing was rather the point, they would not stop fighting.

Reactions:
I suppose not knowing was rather the point, they would not stop fighting.

Yeah. My Angevins have a long way to go to reach that level of discord, though if I manage to hold both the crown of England and Normandy, Anjou, Aquitaine, Poitou, Gascony and Brittany, it will likely be unavoidable.

Next chapter follows shortly. One thought though as I post - I have played quite a bit ahead (In the year 1126) and I'm wondering if perhaps it might be better to speed up the pace a bit. I have not included everything but I do include a fair bit of monotony that I try use to build into stuff for character development down the road. Would it better to condense those prospective chapters into, say passing mentions in paragraphs, and move along with the passage of time?

I didn't really intend this to end with Foulques, so definitely curious if people want to have a quicker pace to see how things change and alter in the realm in the future. Though I'll say that I don't think I could deviate entirely from my style - so it's not like it would mean you'd suddenly see five and ten year gaps between the placement of chapters. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT: I realize the chapter below is actually a good example. Something that could have been summed up in a few graphs in a later chapter, but one that I enjoyed writing for telling, rather than showing the relationship in question.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 86 - September 1095
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 86
September 1095 - Tours, France

I must compliment the innkeeper on the stew.

Foulques was impressed as he sat at an inn nearby his keep in Tours. Considering what he normally found on campaign or on the road, this broth had a good, distinct beef flavor. The wine was strong too. An impressive combination and something he rarely found.

Of course, the innkeeper likely would not know the praise was from his lord and duke. Foulques had taken pains to avoid that. Aside from wearing a cloak and hood, he did not don his mask, revealing his scarred, misshapen and disfigured face.

It rendered him a hideous, ragged figure, but it also likely left few with any idea of his true identity. Even those he travelled with would be unlikely to recognize him at first glance now.

Such precautions were necessary. This was the height of foolishness, to be sure, but Foulques felt oddly compelled to be here. Perhaps he saw opportunity. Perhaps he felt pity.

Either way, another cloaked figure soon cut a path toward him, and plopped himself on the bench, across the table from him.

His head down, the man mumbled: “So you have granted me an audience, old friend.”

Code words which was thinly veiled.

“Against my better judgement,” Foulques replied, his own head down.

The man picked his head up, revealing the chubby face of Duke Philipp of Champagne, his lips forming a sly smile.

“Your curiosity could not be helped, I suppose,” Philipp said.

Foulques picked up his head. The Duke of Champagne practically blanched at seeing him.

“And you see that curiosity is not all it is cracked up to be,” Foulques said. “I know you, and others, wonder what I look like under this mask.”

Philipp shook his head. “It is… unfortunate. But you live, which is the important thing. Your impact remains felt by the realm - perhaps more so than the king’s.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere,” Foulques said.

“It is more than flattery,” Philipp said. “It is truth. I saw you at Sens. You prevented the king from falling into my trap. I feel you keep him afloat in these turbulent waters.”

“He is more than just afloat,” Foulques said. “He will emerge triumphant.”

“Most think the war remains in the balance,” Philipp said. “We win victories…”

“Your victories are pyrrhic,” Foulques said. “Our levy stands at near 10,000 strong. Your numbers are two-thirds of that. Hugues is beaten. Boudewijn may be ill. Within the next few years, the rebellion will end.”

Philipp lowered his head. “You are confident, with good reason. But… what will you get out of this victory?”

“Influence,” Foulques said remembering Philippe’s words to him on how he did not interfere against Geoffrey in Aquitaine. “Such a thing can be valuable.”

“You can have that and more with Boudewijn,” Philipp said. “If you switch sides now, he would reward you greatly. A leading role in the realm.”

“Which I already have,” Foulques said.

“Positions for your son, a husband for your daughter,” Philipp continued. “More can be worked out.”

The offer could not have been more hollow-sounding to Foulques. There was almost nothing Boudewijn could promise Foulques that he could not also extract from Philippe. And that would not require betrayal to get it - such a thing could not be walked back from.

Once you have betrayed your liege, you can never be trusted again, Foulques thought. And the truth was in the man across from him, as he could never be entirely sure the Duke of Champagne would not sell him out if required.

“I will not lead you on,” Foulques said. “The answer is no. Nothing you offer can change my mind.”

Philipp nodded. “That you say that does not shock me. But I had to ask. I promised Boudewijn I would.”

“Have you said what you wished to say?”

“Not entirely,” Philipp said. “It is also no secret your coffers are fuller than perhaps any man in the realm’s.”

“My steward has long done me well,” Foulques said. “What of it?”

“I could use money to fund the effort against my own rebels,” Philipp said. "I am in debt to Jewish moneylenders. Such a thing is problematic for a man of my stature."

“And that money would not be used against the crown?” Foulques asked.

“I swear,” Philipp said.

1095_Duke_Philipp_of_Champagne_asks_for_help.jpg

“Do you take me a fool?” Foulques asked. “There would be no way to ensure that.”

Philipp sighed. “Then you leave me to my fate?”

“I cannot aid you without betraying my king,” Foulques said. “You know that. But there is another option.”

“What is that?”

“You surrender yourself,” Foulques said. “Return with me to the king. Throw yourself at his mercy. Release his family. Pledge yourself to his service once more. He has grown to hate you, but he is not so foolish as he would pass on a good deal when he sees it. If you returned to the fold, we could finish off Boudewijn, then return to the war in Valencia.”

“He aims to punish me by revoking Blois,” Philipp said. “He will not relent from that. And in time, he will move onto other territories. I know his hatred for me - he feels more wronged by me than the men who wish his crown.”

“If you lose Blois, is it not better than losing everything?” Foulques asked.

“As long as I hold his family, I have leverage,” Philipp said. “If I throw myself at his mercy, I will have to release them. It is a foolish notion.”

“How do you expect this to end, Philipp?” Foulques asked. “If you lose the war, you will pay, one way or another.”

“Then I should make sure I do not lose,” Philipp said. He stood up. “I do appreciate you taking the chance to meet with me, even if I am disappointed nothing has come of it. When this conflict ends, no matter how it ends, know that I remain a friend of Anjou.”

“And you are lucky I consider you such,” Foulques said.

Philipp said nothing, lowering his head and slipping out into the twilight.

Brazen fool, Foulques thought. He would doom himself in the long-run by not accepting defeat now. But there was nothing Foulques could do to stop that.

Foulques remained a little while longer, savoring the stew and the wine. Once he had finished he pushed himself from the bench and wandered to the exit. There he saw the innkeeper, who appeared to be keeping an eye on Herve and the two knights beside him as they sat outside on their mounts outside the inn.

A natural caution since the men did not seem interested in actually entering. It was easy to see how they might put him on edge, especially they held an extra horse as well. Foulques had had them follow at a distance, and then approach when they saw Philipp of Champagne arrive - though they were forbidden from actually entering the inn unless a commotion broke out.

“A fine meal,” Foulques replied. “I shall recommend this as a stop on anyone’s journey through Tours.”

He dropped gold into the palm of the man, whose eyes widened upon seeing the coins, which were enough for three nights - certainly not something one would expect from a hideous, cloaked man who now appeared to be departing after but a few hours.

“My word!” the innkeeper said. “Who?”

But Foulques said nothing. Instead he approached Herve and two other knights, who waited with the duke’s horse. Then Foulques mounted the beast, flashed the innkeeper a sly smile from his disfigured face, and rode off for the keep at Tours in the fading light.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
"...And, as he rode away, the inn exploded mere minutes later."

( :p )

On a serious note, it's always awkward meeting an old friend whom fate has cast on a vastly different path from your own. I can't help but feel that, were Philipp fighting anyone but his king, Foulques would have leaped at the chance to render aid -- but he's right, you can't unring a bell once it's been rung.

Reactions:
I must confess I had the inn event in mind as well, delighted to see it was nothing of the sort.

The great impression I have from this episode is how Foulques thought more highly of the inn's fare than of his companion. The food was a pleasant surprise, but other was just irritatingly obvoius, and tiring. Which I understand. Foulques is an older man, scarred in mind, body and soul. A paramount Lord, lonely, and yet for all his flaws he has never been a traitor. Really this was a very poor play by the rebels - I think Phillipp knew it was by the way he deflected responsibilty to Boudewijn.

I return though to the idea of Foulques taking pleasure in the mundanity of the meal. It is an earthly pleasure in keeping with the man we have gotten to know so well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As with the unmasked Vader scene in Empire strikes back, this is a little scene that reminds us what a human and broken man the duke is under that mask and legend of his. He's fed up of moronic dukes incapable of running wars and rebellions properly, he's tired of tithing with his son and the king has only just begun to listen to him properly again (possibly the one good thing that's happened to him in the past year).

I did think it might have been an inn assassination. Maybe it was? We can always find out later.

• 1Love
Reactions: