• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Index

Nuada Airgetlám

Field Marshal
69 Badges
Oct 8, 2015
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Millennium's Eve

A CK2+ Ireland AAR

Flag of Mide [Public domain], by Caomhan27 (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Chapters
1. Reflections By A Fire
2. Maél's Desires and the First Wedding of the New Millennium
3. Red Blood on Green Hills
4. Winning the Peace
5. Feasting, with Interruptions
6. The Day-to-Day of Life
7. Crowning, Living and Dying
8. The View from the Court
9. On the Shortness of Life
10. Much to Plan, Much to Do
11. The Fear in Men
12. The Wearying March, North and South
13. Marching to the End
14. A Night to Remember
15. Light after Darkness
16. Sorrow is never far from Joy
17. Joy is never far from Sorrow
18. A New Scotland and a Changing Court
19. Kin and Lessons
20. His Grip Tightens
21. Noregr or Norway?
22. The War is Over, But Not The Battles
23. Across the Land of the Midnight Sun
24. Darkness Falls
25. Conclave
26. A King's Breath
27. Faith and Fickleness
28. Battles and Their End
29. Mustering Up
30. To Seize Breizh
31. Might and Right

Additional Historical Information
A. The Historical Máel Sechnaill II
B. Pre-Norman map of Éire, with major family names
C. Murchad, Son of Brian, and Saint Patrick's Day
D. Names of the Islands
E. The Cambro-Norman Invasion of Ireland, 1167 onwards
F. The Norse Kingdom of Dublin
G. The Medieval Kingdom of Norway

Last edited:
I have finally decided to put up an AAR of my own, using the CK2 Plus mod. All commentary and critique is welcome, as I am still a relatively inexperienced CK2 player.

In game, this will begin on New Year's Eve, 1000 A.D. and will hopefully carry on for some time. I won't rule out conversion to EU4 or even further but I'll see how this goes first!

For game goals, I will attempt to roleplay the individual leaders' traits. I'd like to see the dynasty prosper but disaster could be entertaining too.

I have played through the first two leaders. The saves still work thankfully so I'll resume play in the near future.

Last edited:
1. Reflections By A Fire
1. Reflections By A Fire

OtNLKAr.png

The Kingdom of Éire, New Year's Eve, 1000 AD

High King Máel II of Éire was in a mood to celebrate the year almost past and the year to come. The Leinster Norse had spectacularly failed to break out of their strongholds in Dubhlinn. He had a fine new wife in Máel Muire, less than half his age. The fact they shared a mother had not been a problem for anyone. He also had a promising heir, his son Conchobar.

X6UgnpS.jpg

High King Máel II

PQ8LeGj.jpg

The High Queen and the Heir

And all three were siblings of one sort or another to Duke Sihtric of Dylfin and Meath. The Irish Ivaring. Shared blood meant no war, at least not in Máel's span of years. The other independent lord, Máel Mórda of Laigin, was simply stubborn. Unwilling to see that he would bend the knee to the High King one way or another, and soon!

tOqW0Rv.jpg

The Independent Lords of Éire

The council of Éire were behind their liege. More or less.

jEndgnC.jpg

Overview of the Council and the Laws

His vassals weren't causing trouble - for once!

2gMTQF0.jpg

Vassals, Factions, and Technology

And his heir? Soon to be wed.

B8A7uFL.png

Conchobar's Marriage Proposal

In all, the approaching millennium looked very promising indeed for Máel.​

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Huh, 1000 AD is an odd start date, it'd be interesting to see what the rest of the world looks like. Good first chapter, I guess I'll be following.

Subscribed!

Huh, 1000 AD is an odd start date, it'd be interesting to see what the rest of the world looks like. Good first chapter, I guess I'll be following.

Subscribed!

Cheers!

I started the game at the "A New Millennium, 1000 AD" bookmark in CK2 Plus. I'll put up some world maps in the next update during the week and get the ball rolling on the rest of Máel's reign.

Last edited:

For the curious, here's some information on the historical figure of Máel.

https://www.geni.com/people/Máel-Sechnaill-II-High-King-of-Ireland/6000000002043263277

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Máel_Sechnaill_mac_Domnaill

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/ire1000.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ireland#Kings_and_High_Kings

Historically, he was overthrown in 1002 (!) by Brian Boru: one Duke Brian of Mumu. He did regain the throne in 1014 and kept it until 1022.

You'll see soon if Máel does any better here.

Last edited:
Reactions:
B. Pre-Norman map of Éire, with major family names
Seems like you've done a lot of research. Interested to see how you deal with the would be usurper, as well as the interesting political situation.

Very glad to see you taken the AAR plunge :) Will be following the life of these island rulers !

PWntPIo.jpg

Máel did not truly desire so much. A fine meal, a beauty of a wife, a solid heir, these were good to have. But he had the High Kingship...and the county of Cill Dara. He desired to secure his position, and the best way to do that was to take land – and to be seen doing it.

Asking nicely was clearly not sufficient.

E724Ski.jpg

Conchobar would inherit Cill Dara but his other sons deserved whatever land he could muster.

hPiiUYs.jpg

Irish land of course. Not some strange soil in a place he had never heard of.

3v947Mi.jpg

Maél's thoughts were full of More fortifications! More power! More ledgers full of red!

At least when his council could not drag him to other matters.

wWGVd77.jpg

His council were the best in the land at their tasks – and some he even believed when they uttered that.

Eochaid was respected for his fair agreements when he wasn't idling. He did appreciate a decent meal though. Gilla was a cruel taskmaster but no better man to whip the troops into shape. Past them, it was only lowborns such as Máel-Eóin. He sought position by books and by talking all day long. But God help him, he persisted.

O63w4ha.jpg

And the other two. Máel-Muire and Bishop Comgán. Both had studied for the priesthood, one it did not stick to. One looks to God to save him in the shadows, one does not look to God at all. And not the ones you would think.

G4cPyJ4.jpg

But to happier thoughts. His boy Flann was now a man, and a man who could fight! Well, at least a little. Still, good enough to get him married.

0ugGl3l.jpg

Or perhaps not. Still, one son married early in the year was not so bad. And Máel already had his plans for Laigin.

fE6qCnM.jpg

The wedding itself was a raucous affair. Meat and wine aplenty for honoured guests. Powerful, dangerous guests.

laojG2L.jpg

And the guests less likely to make a play for the High Kingdom. The Bishop had only escaped the lesser tables by virtue of performing the ceremony.

byqB1g8.jpg

A proper Latin rites marriage and the first of the new millennium. That is what the Bishop said it was, Máel knew no Latin.

JYDcoL8.jpg

And finally Máel got around to a good look at the bride. She was a princess and first on the list of prospects. Conchobar should be very happy with her.

ErJbxMe.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Will follow to see how your Ireland fare. :)

Very glad to see you taken the AAR plunge :) Will be following the life of these island rulers !

Thanks! It did occur to me after that England likely doesn't have to worry about Normans, let alone Éire. Butterflying away William the Conquerer will do that. ;)

Seems like you've done a lot of research. Interested to see how you deal with the would be usurper, as well as the interesting political situation.

Cheers, I felt the need to refresh myself on Brian Boru and the rest of the era. As for the politics, the gap in troops between Máel and his bigger vassals is concerning. If even two of them join up, that's probably curtains for the dynasty.

I have never seen an heir with lower traits. Let's hope Mael can satisfy his appetite for land as well as his appetite for food.

That world looks like one ripe for chaos, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the first few Crusades are called. Maél for Jerusalem! :p

Thanks for the comments everyone. I aim to get an update or two up a week, hopefully having one up at the start of next week coming.

I have never seen an heir with lower traits. Let's hope Mael can satisfy his appetite for land as well as his appetite for food.

Flann does have awful stats, even if his father tries to make the best of the situation. Luckily, Conchobar is currently the heir, not Flann. Though Conchobar does needs to get busy siring an heir of his own, and tanistry allows the vassals to choose another if they feel the need.

Like what I'm reading so far.

Thanks!

Why does this feel like the calm before the storm? :p

Swords will be drawn and soon.

That world looks like one ripe for chaos, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the first few Crusades are called. Maél for Jerusalem! :p

Very much so. There are numerous potential flash points. The Crusades are a while off yet but a zealous Irish ruler will surely champ at the bit to reclaim holy lands.

Edit: I looked up the Crusades page. I had forgotten that pre-1090 Crusades are possible if non-Christians seize the right areas. So who knows?

Last edited:
Máel will have to be careful about those vassals with only one county under his control, but I guess a loan could always be token if you end up in difficulty.

Very interesting era and start. :)

As a Dub I'm trying to avoid rooting for Silkbeard. ;)