• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
so, Phillip is having his own rebels? I think the great rebellion is doomed, even if Foulques did not call his banners

Reactions:
One thought though as I post - I have played quite a bit ahead (In the year 1126) and I'm wondering if perhaps it might be better to speed up the pace a bit. I have not included everything but I do include a fair bit of monotony that I try use to build into stuff for character development down the road. Would it better to condense those prospective chapters into, say passing mentions in paragraphs, and move along with the passage of time?

I didn't really intend this to end with Foulques, so definitely curious if people want to have a quicker pace to see how things change and alter in the realm in the future. Though I'll say that I don't think I could deviate entirely from my style - so it's not like it would mean you'd suddenly see five and ten year gaps between the placement of chapters. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

One thing I've learned over the years is that you don't mess with a winning formula. You're doing a simply amazing job with the story, which is by far the most entertaining part of this particular AAR. Yes, the pacing is at times frustrating, especially when in CK2 there are decades where simply not much happens from a big picture gameplay perspective. Being 30 years ahead of time allows you the flexibility to make those times have significance when in reality there really wasn't much going on. It also tends to lend the more important events a little bit more impact in terms of reader reaction - as long as you make the payoff worth the wait :D

Remember - the book is always far, far more entertaining than the movie, simply due to the amount of material that hits the cutting room floor.

I liked this chapter. It's been fun seeing Foulques' transformation from a fiery upstart with little to lose into a confident, albeit still short tempered old man that makes every decision with an eye towards stability for himself and his family - unless the opportunity is simply too enticing to say no. And this wasn't that opportunity. It comes off as a last ditch, desperate attempt to avoid the fate that Phillippe and the rest so richly deserve.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was waiting for the big boom in the inn. There was one but it was a different type with Phillip being there. I was wondering if Foulques would stray from the king but I was glad to see he did not. Phillip just seemed to seal his doom.

One thought though as I post - I have played quite a bit ahead (In the year 1126) and I'm wondering if perhaps it might be better to speed up the pace a bit. I have not included everything but I do include a fair bit of monotony that I try use to build into stuff for character development down the road. Would it better to condense those prospective chapters into, say passing mentions in paragraphs, and move along with the passage of time?

I didn't really intend this to end with Foulques, so definitely curious if people want to have a quicker pace to see how things change and alter in the realm in the future. Though I'll say that I don't think I could deviate entirely from my style - so it's not like it would mean you'd suddenly see five and ten year gaps between the placement of chapters. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT: I realize the chapter below is actually a good example. Something that could have been summed up in a few graphs in a later chapter, but one that I enjoyed writing for telling, rather than showing the relationship in question.

Like you I am quite a bit ahead of my AAR in gameplay. I find myself enjoying the narrative/story type of AAR. I like reading them and writing them. I am too wondering if I need to move things more quickly along. My Google Doc file on my current king is over 250 pages. I am curious if you come up with a solution to this dilemma.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This was an excellent update and I’d echo what others have said about the pacing. One of the things I love about it is that it’s relatively slow but for that reason we really get into the characters. In some ways I kind of wish I’d taken such a tack for my present story but taking a faster pace has its advantages...and its drawbacks.

As for Phillipe’s rather desperate attempt to get his old friend onside what it tells me is that despite his dissolute ways Foulques is really, at heart, rather noble and rather loyal. It struck me quite hard. He might frame it as naked self interest but the end result is the same.

Reactions:
"...And, as he rode away, the inn exploded mere minutes later."

( :p )

On a serious note, it's always awkward meeting an old friend whom fate has cast on a vastly different path from your own. I can't help but feel that, were Philipp fighting anyone but his king, Foulques would have leaped at the chance to render aid -- but he's right, you can't unring a bell once it's been rung.

It crossed my mind that this would be a good set up for someone getting blown up. :)

I also agree that Foulques would have strongly considered aiding Philipp in different circumstances. But there was no way he was going to toss away a good thing now. Philipp made his bed. Now he has to lay in it. Of course, the Duke of Champagne is not exactly going to walk to that executioner without a fight...

Seriously, I was expecting this to be the end of Foulques as the inn blows up in a manure bomb.

It would have been fitting had Foulques gotten blown up - considering what happened to Adhemar. Even to a degree Philipp, who has become a bit of a schemer, it would have been a fitting way to go. But not this time...

I must confess I had the inn event in mind as well, delighted to see it was nothing of the sort.

The great impression I have from this episode is how Foulques thought more highly of the inn's fare than of his companion. The food was a pleasant surprise, but other was just irritatingly obvoius, and tiring. Which I understand. Foulques is an older man, scarred in mind, body and soul. A paramount Lord, lonely, and yet for all his flaws he has never been a traitor. Really this was a very poor play by the rebels - I think Phillipp knew it was by the way he deflected responsibilty to Boudewijn.

I return though to the idea of Foulques taking pleasure in the mundanity of the meal. It is an earthly pleasure in keeping with the man we have gotten to know so well.

Shows how our minds have been warped by CK2. Every inn is a possible manure bomb. :D

A good interpretation of the scene I think! He did not expect to be pleased by inn, but the meeting proved to be disappointing. It was hardly a surprise - what could Philipp really say or do, but Foulques met him out of their old friendship and perhaps, a morbid curiosity. And yes, Philipp, always a bit of a con-man, deflects. I imagine it as being his idea and Boudewijn telling him he was free to pursue it, because why not?

I'm glad you enjoyed the scene. In retrospect, I liked it too because it was a bit different than what came before. A shorter scene, one where the pomp of their noble stations removed, and they could just... talk as two men on different sides of a conflict. And where their respective states of minds are. Foulques can enjoy a meal. Philipp... not so much.

As with the unmasked Vader scene in Empire strikes back, this is a little scene that reminds us what a human and broken man the duke is under that mask and legend of his. He's fed up of moronic dukes incapable of running wars and rebellions properly, he's tired of tithing with his son and the king has only just begun to listen to him properly again (possibly the one good thing that's happened to him in the past year).

I did think it might have been an inn assassination. Maybe it was? We can always find out later.

I do think there's a bit of this too. His legend has likely grown quite large, especially in Anjou (and Tours) so he is this figure whom would be so much larger than life and his rather... broken body would seem out of place with his reputation and provide a perfect disguise. He literally hides in plain sight by removing his mask.

And yeah, the realm grows tiring. Foulques has never been a man who had patience for anything but war. The politics others play - Philipp, King Philippe and Geoffrey are perhaps the worst offenders in this sense - frustrates him. The good news for Foulques, at least for the short-term is more battle is coming.

so, Phillip is having his own rebels? I think the great rebellion is doomed, even if Foulques did not call his banners

Yeah, Count Henri of Sens rebelled against Champagne early on. It was after the rebellion started - unlike Countess Almodis in Burgundy, who rebelled before. Though there will be an update in the next chapter on Henri of Sens. Things don't always go as planned...

One thing I've learned over the years is that you don't mess with a winning formula. You're doing a simply amazing job with the story, which is by far the most entertaining part of this particular AAR. Yes, the pacing is at times frustrating, especially when in CK2 there are decades where simply not much happens from a big picture gameplay perspective. Being 30 years ahead of time allows you the flexibility to make those times have significance when in reality there really wasn't much going on. It also tends to lend the more important events a little bit more impact in terms of reader reaction - as long as you make the payoff worth the wait :D

Remember - the book is always far, far more entertaining than the movie, simply due to the amount of material that hits the cutting room floor.

I liked this chapter. It's been fun seeing Foulques' transformation from a fiery upstart with little to lose into a confident, albeit still short tempered old man that makes every decision with an eye towards stability for himself and his family - unless the opportunity is simply too enticing to say no. And this wasn't that opportunity. It comes off as a last ditch, desperate attempt to avoid the fate that Phillippe and the rest so richly deserve.

You read it right. He's regained his confidence and whereas before, Foulques seemed to be somewhat unsure at his options in the political game, now he can try to dictate terms. A change in the last few years for sure. And yes, I did see this as a desperate attempt. I actually don't know what would have happened had I accepted either - if it just would have been against only Henri of Sens or turned against the king. But I'll caution - there are still more twists in this one. Philipp of Champagne is not done just yet.

Thanks for your feedback! It is a little scary to mess with a good formula which is why I'm hesitant. Honestly, this was a decade, especially the first half, when not a lot happened with Foulques directly. It was all elsewhere, until Geoffrey in Aquitaine. I really searched around to craft this section of the story - which was a major change from 1086-1090, when Beatritz, Alearde, Rouen and Aines happened. The change would be I would do that perhaps a little less. The downside is it offers less room for character development - and there are some interesting characters in the realm. (And I've still cut things that I wanted to fit but could not find space for! CK2 has so much to offer, even in "dull" periods)

So in short... I'll see going forward. Thanks again for your input!

I was waiting for the big boom in the inn. There was one but it was a different type with Phillip being there. I was wondering if Foulques would stray from the king but I was glad to see he did not. Phillip just seemed to seal his doom.

Like you I am quite a bit ahead of my AAR in gameplay. I find myself enjoying the narrative/story type of AAR. I like reading them and writing them. I am too wondering if I need to move things more quickly along. My Google Doc file on my current king is over 250 pages. I am curious if you come up with a solution to this dilemma.

It would have taken a huge offer to get Foulques to leave the king. This is where a more dynamic CK2 where I could illicit promises from each side might have been useful, but yeah, Philipp wasn't going to get any help. Even when I played it, I think I said "well, shouldn't have rebelled man. Sorry." But as mentioned above, don't write Philipp off just yet. He still holds the king's family.

Yeah, I have way too much written. I'm on Google doc No.5. (I don't like to go too far beyond 100 pages in a doc) So... yeah. I don't know if I have a good solution beyond experimenting with what is considered important. No doubt had this been a book released at once, there are parts which could have been cut. But when you're doing a serial, sometimes things that move somewhat unimportant for the larger storyline (the Aines/Alearde chapter for example) may prove to be incredibly enjoyable. I know what happens 30 years in the future in game, but the reader doesn't. So... skimping on character development can lessen that character's impact, even if it's not meant to be a long stay (like poor Aines, who I really did want more time with, so I shoved so much into her relatively brief stay).

Or in your tale, the Eilif and Cyneswith already has me intrigued. Even if it's a small aside, it can be worth it. Or Totil - it seemed like you were building toward something and then... things did not turn out as planned. That can be good - it keeps the reader on their toes, and keeps the tale more grounded in reality. Sometimes grand schemes do peter out due to unforeseen events.

So... short answer? I'm going to perhaps tinker. If you see something you like, feel free to use.

This was an excellent update and I’d echo what others have said about the pacing. One of the things I love about it is that it’s relatively slow but for that reason we really get into the characters. In some ways I kind of wish I’d taken such a tack for my present story but taking a faster pace has its advantages...and its drawbacks.

As for Phillipe’s rather desperate attempt to get his old friend onside what it tells me is that despite his dissolute ways Foulques is really, at heart, rather noble and rather loyal. It struck me quite hard. He might frame it as naked self interest but the end result is the same.

Foulques I feel is a creature of habit. He and Philippe have grown comfortable with one another. No need to change now!

Actually, the closest he came to being "disloyal" was back in his youth when he basically didn't answer Guilhem's call to war against his rebels. He made threats to King Philippe but never went through with them as the king never went through with his threats either. And now... now he has a good thing going. Even through their arguments, Philippe has let slip he allows his duke perhaps much more freedom than he does the others. They understand each other - perhaps better than either man understands anyone else.

I appreciate your feedback. I do see your story and am kind of envious at times - I want to tell tales of my next ruler and their trials and tribulations (and there will be ups, downs, successes and some grudges settled!). Plus I want to play the game. I have goals and I want to achieve them! But that can be a drawback too - when you have an excellent character - it means they get less time than they deserve. I could read much more about the journey of Wulfryth and how she navigated not just her lords, but her different husbands and their varying personalities, the affairs of the kingdom etc. - juggling young children and the idea of motherhood with the concept of being a hard queen, equal to any king. Not that what you've written isn't entertaining of course, but she's great and you can't help but want more of a good thing. :)

I hope to have the next chapter up Saturday. Not quite done with it, but I think I know the major themes I wish to hit in it, so that's a good sign. But we shall see.

Something else actually just crossed my mind - while this story is a narrative, would a "history book" section where some of the major characters are detailed be useful? A brief summary of their life, role in the story and possibly death? I know I've had a ton of characters in this and it may be hard to keep track. Or maybe just noble houses? I just want it to be accessible to everyone - old readers and new. Definitely open to ideas from everyone, so feel free to toss in your opinion.

And of course, thanks for all the comments and feedback - it helps keep the story on the right track!

Reactions:
Chapter 87 - February 1096
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 87
February 1096 - Autun, France

The sounds of the early morning had already begun to filter into Foulques tent as he looked up to the underside of the fabric canopy. It had been surprisingly quiet the night before despite the presence of over 9000 men in total.

And yet Foulques had not slept at all.

He bounded from his cot, armor already equipped, boots on, and sword at his belt. He was greeted by the sun, still low in the clear sky, and the crisp, cold morning air. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. A smile came to his face.

A perfect day for battle.

And what a battle it promised to be. The king's forces had moved against Boudewijn's which now grouped near Autun after retaking Hugues' keep in Dijon. Like at Saintonge, most of the major lords of the realm were present. Even Toulouse had returned from Dauphine, his war with the Emperor ending inconclusively after the Emperor was overthrown by his own rebels - he would command the left.

Alberic, smarting over his defeat with Geoffrey and dealing with more discontent in the territory he kept, remained at the king’s request, with the promise he could leave after this engagement. He would command the right.

There was even the oddity of a woman present among the knights. Countess Almodis, the woman who had rebelled against Hugues, accompanied her levy along with her husband, Eudes of Vermandois. Foulques had seen her arrive in full armor, her hauberk and helmet, at first making her hard to distinguish from any other knight. He was pleasantly surprised upon seeing her, with the scar she had earned fighting Hugues forces in her own rebellion across her face only seeming to enhance her mystique and appeal.

Had her husband not been here… Foulques had thought to himself. And he suspected he was not alone in that.

On the other side, Boudewijn was at the head of the rebels, with Hugues of Burgundy alongside. Like at Saintonge, Philipp of Champagne was not present. But this time, there was a chance he might arrive, as rumors swirled his army marched from the north.

The forces of Champagne would not even things up, but it would make the gap smaller. The rebels had over 6000 under Bourdewijn and Hugues, while Champagne had another 1700 or so.

There was an air of finality, and yet uncertainty about. And it was glorious.

Foulques wandered toward the hitching post, where his and many of the lords’ horses were kept. There, to his surprise, he found his nephew, in his armor, looking about his own mount.

“Inspecting to make sure he is fit?” Foulques asked.

Herve nodded. “I am. It seems there is a great battle ahead of us. I wished to make certain my courser is ready. And… I did not sleep much.”

Foulques smiled and patted his nephew on the back. “Good man.”

“I have heard you speak to the king that you believe we will win the war here today,” Herve said. “Do you speak to raise his spirits, or is it truth?”

It was true the king’s spirits did need lifting. He had suffered a frustrating setback - ironically in victory.

The vanguard, lead by Alberic, had stumbled upon some knights from Champagne, and had heard they were being accompanied by their liege lord. Upon telling the king, Philippe had rushed forward with part of the larger army in order to prevent his escape.

He had succeeded and even killed the lord. But it was frustratingly revealed to be Count Henri of Sens - the man who was leading the rebellion against Philipp of Champagne.

1096_Count_Henri_of_Sens.jpg

“YOU FOOL!” Philippe had bellowed at Alberic. “Because of your faulty intelligence we have slain my enemy’s enemy! You have won his war for him!”

Foulques still remembered how Alberic had turned white as a ghost, perhaps fearful that becoming a spirit was going to be his fate sooner rather than later. And perhaps it would have been, had Foulques and Toulouse not restrained Philippe from further action.

While neither man liked Alberic, the truth was he had not guaranteed it to be Philipp of Champagne. The king had jumped to that conclusion on his own accord.

Calmer heads did prevail. Philippe, for all his anger, could not risk losing Alberic’s levy, and killing him would have sent Poitou and Gascony into further chaos as he had no sons, nor did have a wife yet. So he received a dressing down, assurances that the king had been talked out of it by his generous dukes but allowed to continue.

So the king did need good news. However, Foulques did truly believe this would break the rebels - there were only so many defeats the lords could take before they lost faith in their leaders. And Boudewijn had yet to win a large engagement with the king - in truth, only Champagne had achieved any lasting success against him.

“I speak the truth,” Foulques said. “These lords believed Boudewijn could lead them to victory. But as he is smashed by the king at every turn, they lose heart. Eventually, they will see no hope and flee from him, throwing themselves at the king’s mercy.”

“You mean you smash Boudewijn at every turn, uncle,” Herve said. “You are his marshal.”

“My victories are the king’s,” Foulques said. “It is important you realize that.”

“Of… of course uncle,” Herve said. “I did not mean to speak out of turn.”

“No, it is an important lesson,” Foulques said. “As is this - you do what you can for your liege, but you are not his slave. If he treats you as such, you may well need to find a new lord.”

Herve nodded.

“You must be careful about it in those situations, though,” Foulques said. “Or you may end up like these fools on the other side.”

Again Herve nodded, but Foulques could see the somewhat blank expression of his nephew’s face. He will never have a mind for politics. But that was fine - he could have a fine career as a blunt force to hammer the enemies of Anjou with.

Perhaps it was for the best. Geoffrey would need that hammer. Foulques knew his son had no real stomach for battle and he doubted he ever would develop it. After all, if he wanted to, he’d be here now.

But the new Duke of Aquitaine was in Bordeaux. His excuse was that he had no levy to contribute to the king - just a few knights. It was such a paltry number that Philippe had essentially excused him from his duty, for now.

More likely, his paltry levy made any possible conflict with Alberic not worth Philippe’s time. But Foulques had no doubt that if Geoffrey wished to be here, he would be.

So Foulques was left with the strange feeling of living a moment he had thought of before - being alongside his son as they prepared to ride off in a potentially grand battle - yet having it happen with his nephew instead.

Still, if he was not to have the moment with Geoffrey, Herve was an acceptable substitute. He had found himself growing fond of the boy over the last year. Foulques had even arranged for Herve to marry the daughter of his chancellor Godfrey de Boulogne, Sybille, though that would be done likely in the summer.

There remained that slight bit of nervousness for Herve’s safety before a battle - each new addition to the boy’s life just made it worse. But Foulques had to trust that God would see the boy back safely - he knew his own first duty remained with the king.

The sound of footsteps and movement around them caused Foulques to look around. Other lords were moving to their mounts and looking them over before combat. Among them, the Countess Almodis, who stood out now, as she did not wear her helmet, so her long, reddish locks were tied up in a pair of buns.

Foulques tapped his nephew on the shoulder and walked up to the lady, who unaccompanied by her husband at the moment.

The king planned to place her forces in the center - as an honor for her long-running rebellion against Hugues. Foulques was uncertain he would see her actually fight, but he was looking forward to the possibility of finding out.

1096_Countess_Almodis.jpg

“It is an uncommon thing to see a lady in battle,” Foulques said to her as she stood by her mount - a destrier - a prized war horse which only few lords in the realm, Foulques among them, could call their own.

Almodis did not turn to him, instead keeping her eyes on her saddle, which she appeared to be inspecting. “It is because you have not spent much time in Burgundy, Duke Foulques. I have spent many of the last few years fighting against the tyranny of Duke Hugues.”

“I had heard,” Foulques said.

A sudden jerk of her head brought her eyes in line with his. “You heard but did not listen. Had you, you would have known the overgrown ambitions he harbored. And perhaps this war could have been stopped.”

Foulques pulled his head back. He did not expect that.

“Your tongue is sharp girl,” Foulques said.

“And my blade sharper,” Almodis said. “As many of Hugues’ knights have learned.”

“Is that how you came to acquire your scar?” Foulques asked.

“A scar in one fight,” Almodis said. “This destrier in another. Such is the way in war.”

“And do you consider yourself an expert in matters of war?” Foulques asked.

“I do not fashion myself anything,” Almodis said. “Except what I am - a countess, a wife, and a leader of men. What you make of it is your choice, Duke Foulques.”

“You are a fascinating woman,” he replied.

She mounted her steed and placed her helmet on head.

“And you have much in common with most dukes that I have met,” Almodis said. “Though at least you at least sniff before attempting to bite, unlike your foolish nephew Gilles.”

Before Foulques could respond, the countess had given her horse a kick with and the beast galloped off.

The duke shook his head. In his youth he may have made a more serious play toward her. Now, he was merely content to take in the sight and spectacle of it all.

He might approach her again - but only because he wished to hear how she dealt with his lecherous nephew.
….

1096_Battle_of_Autun.jpg

The battle raged. And yet, it was only about to begin.

The footsoldiers of the two sides battled in the center. That fight was a slog with no clear winner. The king’s forces had the numbers, but flanking was not simple as the rebels shifted to avoid it. So the larger force of men literally pushed forward, but made little progress.

But it was hardly a surprise. The cavalry engagement was where things would really be decided.

Boudewijn had gambled. He had arrayed his flanks defensively, meant to stall. He had placed the bulk of his cavalry in the center, in hopes of matching Philippe, who had spread his larger force out more evenly.

And underlying in Philippe’s thinking was that his men were just better than his enemies. He had long believed it, and even Foulques had to admit, they had rarely given him reason to doubt it.

So Foulques raised his arm and gave the order to charge. The first wave of knights made their trot across the open battlefield, followed by a gallop as they closed. The rebels mirrored the action until the two sides crashed into each other and the cavalry engagement truly began.

Foulques and Philippe were not among the initial charge. And neither was Boudewijn. Both sides held forces in reserve, ready to launch their attacks in waves. Philippe wished to be in the final, and in his mind decisive, wave, to which Foulques had no objections to. Since he would be beside the king, he would have vantage of the battle, and be able to adjust as necessary.

The early part of the engagement seemed to be going the way of king’s forces, though it was not easy to tell for certain. One tell may have been the movement of the rebels across the field. A horn went up. Their next wave was set to charge.

“Should we send our men to meet them?” Philippe asked.

“No,” Foulques said. “I believe our knights can withstand this charge. We will wait until they are committed and then launch our next wave.”

Philippe gave a nod and their eyes returned to the battlefield. The king’s forces did buckle under the second attack, but it did not break. For minutes, Foulques watched, seeing the pressure on his initial knights. As they started to lose ground, Foulques gave the order for the next wave to charge.

Boudewijn seemed to mirror this by sending a third wave to counter that immediately.

“We’re outnumbered in the melee,” Philippe said. “We should send the third wave in.”

“That’s what he wants us to do,” Foulques said. “For it to devolve into a mess, a scrum. We must remain disciplined. If we wait long enough, an opportunity will emerge.”

“You had better be right,” Philippe said. “I grow tired of the failures of my dukes.”

“Then be grateful you were wise enough to give me this role, instead of Alberic,” Foulques said.

Philippe could not resist a smirk.

Though that smirk faded a bit as his forces struggled to reclaim the initiative. Foulques knew Boudewijn would likely send a new wave to counter his own, so he waited once more, watching as the king’s forces buckled, before sending in this next wave, of which Herve and the Angevin cavalry were among.

He watched his nephew charge into battle, shouting at the top of his lungs, urging his comrades to follow. And the old duke could not help but smile and swell with pride - the boy may not be of his house in name, but he was in spirit.

But as difficult as it was to take his eyes off him, Foulques knew he had to to maintain a watch on the whole field. It was equally painful to see Boudewijn launch another wave in, crash into the king’s forces. Though he did not see Herve fall, Foulques lost sight of him in the melee.

“I think now is the time,” Philippe said.

“No, he recklessly charges his knights forward to commit them,” Foulques replied. “He wants us to do the same.”

“Yes, in the melee,” Philippe said. “But that is where he makes his error. We should bypass the melee and charge him directly. We will outnumber him in that fight. And if we can capture him, we can end the war today!”

“We leave our men in the melee,” Foulques said. “I trust them to hold for a time, but I do not know if they will last the length this melee with Boudewijn you propose. If they break, we could be hit from both sides.”

“And if we break them faster, we can rout them,” Philippe said. “I doubt he expects such a rash decision. He will not expect it. That is to our advantage.”

The king was likely right about that - Boudewijn probably did not think Philippe would be bold or foolish enough to make such a charge.

There was some merit in it. If they caught Boudewijn by surprise, they might rout him quickly, then chase the remainder of his cavalry from the field. That would eliminate the possible threat of Champagne’s arrival, and likely turn the battle completely in their favor.

And, if they ever could capture him.

But then Foulques looked back at the melee knowing he might be leaving his nephew and many other Angevin knights in harm’s way. He trusted them to hold but if he saw them falter, he could send in reinforcements from their current position. If they charged Boudewijn, that would not be possible.

Philippe had his eyes focused on his rival across the battlefield. The king’s lust would not be sated by patience. And there was merit in what he proposed. It was bold, even if it may have been foolish.

“Let us charge,” Foulques said. “We will send our next wave forward, but they shall veer away from the melee. Then we shall move forth and engage Boudewijn directly.”

Philippe smiled broadly. “Let us go forth then.”

Foulques closed his eyes and raised his hand. The horn was blown and the next wave moved toward the melee. Boudewijn’s cavalry did the same. But as Foulques had instructed, the king’s forces did not go to the melee - they veered and slammed into the oncoming rebel knights. Then Foulques gave the order for the remainder of the king’s forces to maneuver around the two scraps and make quickly for Boudewijn’s position.

If they had been on a hill, it would have been completely inadvisable. But Boudewijn’s slight elevation would not stop them. And soon, he realized it, as he sent his forces forward against them.

The rebels did hold one advantage - they could wait until launching their charge. In order to make certain they did not allow Boudewijn much flexibility with his forces, Foulques had moved his knights quickly across the field, at a near gallop. So their steeds would not be as fresh as their enemies when they attacked - but he hoped the difference in numbers would be enough to win the day.

The knights did not veer and crashed into each other’s lines in a hail of splintering wood from lances while the thunder of horses and men colliding rumbled the earth like a violent thunderstorm. Boudewijn had initially deployed this group wide to match Philippe’s charge, but the depth and successive flank from the rear of the king’s forces put the Duke of Flanders’ forces in a difficult spot.

As Foulques moved through the melee, he spotted the banner of the Duke of Flanders. His first instinct was to engage him but as he looked to his right, he saw the king on his own. And then he noticed a rebel knight moving toward Philippe - who bore the insignia of the Duke of Burgundy on his shield.

Deciding against moving against Boudewijn, Foulques veered and moved toward the king to render aid if it was needed. It was simply too important a moment - Foulques had long since abandoned belief in his king’s skills at personal combat and if Hugues wounded or killed Philippe, they would all be lost.

But it was not as simple as moving to him. A knight moved to intercept Foulques. A middle-aged man with a greying-beard, Foulques guessed this was a man of experience. He showed it, not giving away much as Foulques feinted with his sword and shield.

A sudden aggressive move by the knight actually caught Foulques off guard. The hacks and cuts were blocked by the duke’s shield, but he found himself struggling to regain the initiative.

Then a cut caught Foulques arm. It stung, but Foulques could not look to see if the blade had penetrated his mail. Regardless it slowed him further.

Then all of a sudden, the knight fell forward toward Foulques, who quickly drove his sword into an exposed part of the man - at the base of his neck. Blood spurted onto the duke’s face, and he let the knight fall.

When Foulques looked up, he saw a friendly knight. He raised his sword to him.

“The fortune of war smiles upon you today Duke Foulques,” Almodis said. “Do not forget it.”

The duke’s eyes widened at the sound of her voice. But he remembered himself. “We need to hurry to the king. He battles Hugues of Burgundy.”

Almodis did not need to be told twice as she kicked her horse toward where Foulques pointed. The two arrived just in time to see a vicious strike come down on the gloved hand, nearly severing it from the body.

And the Duke of Burgundy howled in pain.

It may have been unexpected for Philippe, for the king did not follow up his strike immediately. And that allowed other rebel knights to join in to try to save their lord. Foulques and Almodis joined their king, as did other loyal men.

The scrum around Hugues did not last long however. The rebels began to pull back en masse.

“They are in panic,” Philippe said. “We must give pursuit.”

“My lord!”

Foulques, Philippe and Almodis turned to see a friendly knight ride up.

“My lord, our men behind begin to break, we must give them aid!”

Philippe’s face, already flush from combat, turned even redder. “We can end this now!”

“Not if our cavalry breaks!” Foulques said. “They can regroup and we will be trapped between them. We can fall on them as they think they win, and their organization falls, rout them, and the crush Boudewijn’s infantry.”

“And if Boudewijn and Hugues escape, again?” Philippe demanded.

“We will leave them no army to escape with!” Foulques shouted.

Philippe looked out toward where his enemy ran and then glanced back to the melee behind. “Turn and crush the rebels behind us.”

The horn was blown and the men quickly regrouped once more. Foulques, with the countess by his side, led the men back toward the melee.
….

1096_Philippe_defeats_Boudewijn.jpg

The celebrations were loud. And they were joyous.

Foulques sat on a stool, cup of wine in hand, with the arm that was bruised from the blow earlier, but fortunately not cut. His face was still covered in mud and blood, having not found a good stream to wash in. Perhaps tomorrow, he thought. Tonight, he would relax his sore, aching body.

And he was not alone. Around him in the command tent, many of the lords drank. A few danced, though Countess Almodis was not among them, rejecting even requests from her husband to do so, instead choosing to merely drink and speak with the other lords.

Herve did dance, though Foulques could not help but smirk at how awkward the boy looked as he tried to move along to the music the minstrels played.

He lives, and that is enough,
Foulques reminded himself.

The mood was so high that even Alberic was smiling - and was joking around with Toulouse.

There was one man who did not appear to smile, however. And that man quietly slipped from the tent and into the darkness outside. Foulques followed.

It was not before they were some distance from the tent that Philippe finally spoke.

“We win another battle, but the war will continue,” the king said.

“You may have taken Hugues hand,” Foulques said. “An impressive feat.”

“I need more than impressive feats,” Philippe said. “I need them finally beaten. This war drags on. Our gold reserves dwindle. We weaken further. And I know not what happens to my family.”

“You blame me for not pursuing Boudewijn?” Foulques asked.

Philippe sighed and shook his head. “Philipp of Champagne did not take the field.”

“Yes, it guaranteed our victory,” Foulques noted.

“And guaranteed this war will continue,” Philippe said. “If not for him, this war would be over. He holds my family - my wife, my heirs! Without them… the lords would already be abandoning Boudewijn, and throwing themselves at us for mercy.”

“Then we must defeat Philipp of Champagne,” Foulques said.

“Do you think it that easy?” Philippe demanded. “If it were, we would have already done so. But… but he is no fool. No, I begin to think he is the brain of the beast. And I do not think he will allow us to strike him.”

“We will find a way, my king,” Foulques said.

But Philippe said nothing, instead staring out into the darkness of the night. And Foulques found himself unable to do anything else but join him.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
As much as I enjoy reading about battles part of me hopes that life after the civil war is more peaceful. As it has been said before the amount of detail you write about the battles is amazing. If this was any other AAR I would probably have loss interest by now but since you are such an amazing writer this is still the AAR I'm always the most excited to read.

Unless the rebels somehow win or Boudewijn dies I see Anjou and probably Aquitaine when Foulques eventually passes becoming even more influential than they already are. Philippe will probably revoke counties and give them out so there will be some small counties that will be easy to conquer.

Is it possible that Geoffrey or his heir will be the one who becomes king of France? Foulques is loyal but I don't see Geoffrey being quite as loyal.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is an increasing emptiness about Foulques. There is an expression I have heard of before - that someone is becoming a guest in their own life. Foulques reminds me of that.

I realise that is a theme of some of my most recent comments, but it feels true.

He remains very competent though at what he does, and whilst the war still continues his service remains. I rather suspect - though he might not realise or admit it - that he fears the peace.

Reactions:
Reason won out in this battle. Luckily Foulques is there to restrain his king, but Champagne is clearly another matter.

How interesting it is that Almodis refused Gilles. I guess she is like what Foulques wanted from Haldora ;).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another battle and another hollow victory. The war feels like it will never end. I had not thought about until others mentioned it but since Foulques is a man who is most comfortable and sure in a war what will he do during a peace? In the past he makes mistakes in judgement when he is not in battle. I wonder when one of those misjudgements will cost him nearly.

Reactions:
As always, an impressive level of attention to detail to the battle scenes :)

I want to take a moment to single out Philippe, who in his way is almost as much of a tragic figure as Foulques himself -- certainly a far cry from the arrogant youth we were first introduced to. He's seen almost as much bloodshed, travail, and heartache in his life as Foulques, plus the burden of presiding over a fractious kingdom with vassals whose ambitions are ever in friction with his own even in the rare cases their loyalties aren't in question utterly. The recent civil war and the abduction of his family are simply the latest and unkindest turns in what must almost certainly be a wearisome struggle.

Even if he wins and goes on to have a long and prosperous life beyond the current struggle, I think in a very real sense Philippe is a dead man walking, a hollow shell of the man he used to be.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Phillip's mood gets darker and darker... I think he is driving himself crazy with the thought of his family

Reactions:
This war seems to be interminably long, especially for the King given the state of his family. Hopefully Foulques can channel his inner Conan the Barbarian and utterly crush their pitiful little rebellion.

Reactions:
The war's end looks inevitable.

Boudewijn out of troops, Philipp of Champagne unable to make up the difference no matter how clever his plans.

But the stress of reaching that end point is visibly wearing on King Phillipe and to a lesser degree Foulkes. And that's even with battle being something of a comfort for Foulkes. The danger his nephew is in perhaps? Or that Philipp is still a friend after all this?

Reactions:
As much as I enjoy reading about battles part of me hopes that life after the civil war is more peaceful. As it has been said before the amount of detail you write about the battles is amazing. If this was any other AAR I would probably have loss interest by now but since you are such an amazing writer this is still the AAR I'm always the most excited to read.

Unless the rebels somehow win or Boudewijn dies I see Anjou and probably Aquitaine when Foulques eventually passes becoming even more influential than they already are. Philippe will probably revoke counties and give them out so there will be some small counties that will be easy to conquer.

Is it possible that Geoffrey or his heir will be the one who becomes king of France? Foulques is loyal but I don't see Geoffrey being quite as loyal.

I'm glad you enjoy the battles but I understand your desire for a lasting peace. (Can't promise anything on that front, but I share your fatigue from this civil war)

Your read of the situation was similar to mine actually. However, things often don't work according to plan. Certain things I thought would happen didn't quite occur as expected.

You are also correct that Geoffrey and Foulques are different in regard to their loyalty and long-term goals. And they may well be dealing with different kings. I'll say that while becoming King of France is something I am keeping an eye on for an opportunity, England would be preferred at the moment in keeping with Angevin history. Of course, circumstances may make going for France the better play.

There is an increasing emptiness about Foulques. There is an expression I have heard of before - that someone is becoming a guest in their own life. Foulques reminds me of that.

I realise that is a theme of some of my most recent comments, but it feels true.

He remains very competent though at what he does, and whilst the war still continues his service remains. I rather suspect - though he might not realise or admit it - that he fears the peace.

That emptiness is probably caused a bit by the fact he's not the driver of events. He may be doing his best to corral them as well as he can, but he is subject to the whims and desires of his king. In writing this chapter, I aimed to strike a balance between Foulques commanding the battle and being subject to a king who cannot completely surrender control.

Still Foulques is useful, even if he is very much Herve - the blunt object to strike things (though he likely does not realize it). In the peace... things may be different. That, he likely does have an inkling of.

Reason won out in this battle. Luckily Foulques is there to restrain his king, but Champagne is clearly another matter.

How interesting it is that Almodis refused Gilles. I guess she is like what Foulques wanted from Haldora ;).

Champagne is another matter. There's a reason he keeps looming over these events.

I didn't include it in the screen shot (though the CK2 veterans probably noticed) Almodis had the "rejected seduction attempts" buff. While I don't know that it's Gilles, given that he's tried to seduce half the women in the realm, I can't see why it wouldn't be him. But good spot - I ended up writing Almodis as Foulques fantasy of Haldora. (Though one wonders if it's best left to fantasy - I'm not certain how Foulques would handle being saved by his wife in battle! :))

Another battle and another hollow victory. The war feels like it will never end. I had not thought about until others mentioned it but since Foulques is a man who is most comfortable and sure in a war what will he do during a peace? In the past he makes mistakes in judgement when he is not in battle. I wonder when one of those misjudgements will cost him nearly.

The end of this chapter reflected my feelings toward this civil war at this point. It seemed like it wouldn't end. Basically the rebels gained a ton of war score from Champagne holding most of Philippe's family. Even though they kept getting crushed in battle, it kept them from being defeated. While it gives Foulques something to do, it sure drains on the king to have his family's fate in the balance (and my patience).

As for the peace? Foulques antics will have effects on the realm. Will it be worth it in the end? You can be the judge when the dust settles.

As always, an impressive level of attention to detail to the battle scenes :)

I want to take a moment to single out Philippe, who in his way is almost as much of a tragic figure as Foulques himself -- certainly a far cry from the arrogant youth we were first introduced to. He's seen almost as much bloodshed, travail, and heartache in his life as Foulques, plus the burden of presiding over a fractious kingdom with vassals whose ambitions are ever in friction with his own even in the rare cases their loyalties aren't in question utterly. The recent civil war and the abduction of his family are simply the latest and unkindest turns in what must almost certainly be a wearisome struggle.

Even if he wins and goes on to have a long and prosperous life beyond the current struggle, I think in a very real sense Philippe is a dead man walking, a hollow shell of the man he used to be.

I have kind of set Foulques and Philippe up as parallel figures in a way. I had the idea to do this in case the game decided to have them become rivals, as they did in real life toward the end of their lives, but in the end the game did the opposite - it structured their lives in a similar fashion. Their triumph at Rouen stood as the pinnacle for both as it turned out. Since, both have suffered loss, partially due to poor luck, and at other times due to their own overgrown ambitions. And as you note, there is the added stress of managing a potentially powerful kingdom that also is a massive headache for Philippe. Now, they achieve glory, but it all seems so... hollow. Rouen is in the past and their best attempts to reclaim it have failed.

Which is all to say, your read on Philippe is... quite accurate. Knowing what happens, this will be hard to bounce back from. The person he was - the smooth talking, charismatic king who could hold his vassals at bay, play them off each other and achieve his own ends is gone. And you can certainly argue young Philippe is what's needed now.

Phillip's mood gets darker and darker... I think he is driving himself crazy with the thought of his family

It's weighing on him for sure. He wins battles, takes ground and yet comes no closer to securing their freedom. And it's everyone but his eldest daughter. (His youngest was actually born in prison, sadly enough). At this point, he has to be left wondering if he will ever save them.

This war seems to be interminably long, especially for the King given the state of his family. Hopefully Foulques can channel his inner Conan the Barbarian and utterly crush their pitiful little rebellion.

It certainly felt that way as I was going through it. Can't give away much about rebellion crushing except that the war will be over soon.

The war's end looks inevitable.

Boudewijn out of troops, Philipp of Champagne unable to make up the difference no matter how clever his plans.

But the stress of reaching that end point is visibly wearing on King Phillipe and to a lesser degree Foulkes. And that's even with battle being something of a comfort for Foulkes. The danger his nephew is in perhaps? Or that Philipp is still a friend after all this?

I'd say it's a combination of things, but the king's mood brings a pall on everything. Foulques saw this battle as the opportunity for a decisive win and for all intents and purposes it was - Boudewijn's army was thoroughly beaten again. Hugues of Burgundy was wounded. And yet, the king's point is undeniable - they still do not seem to have gained much. Foulques has almost always won by crushing his opponents in battle. Now he does that and... it does not have the effect he thought it would. Disheartening for him, for sure.

Many of you commented on the length of the war. I agree - it's gone on WAY too long. I was tired of it, especially since I don't wish to repeat battle scenes, so I try to make each one a little different. Thank you for the compliments on the battle because it was a chore trying to find a good comparable medieval engagement where cavalry against cavalry featured so prominently in this era. But this one was grand for a reason - as alluded to earlier, it is the last major battle of this civil war. As for what that means, you'll see in the coming chapters.

I am to get the next chapter out Monday, though it's not done yet so I'll be working on it during the day. As always, thanks for your comments, questions, theories and feedback. They're always pretty good!

Reactions:
Another excellent battle scene. You write them so well but, by goodness, doesn’t the atmosphere of war fatigue hang over all? Also I noticed that even Foulque’s famed warrior prowess is fading-almost bested by a paunchy middle aged greybeard. No coincidence that scene methinks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another excellent battle scene. You write them so well but, by goodness, doesn’t the atmosphere of war fatigue hang over all? Also I noticed that even Foulque’s famed warrior prowess is fading-almost bested by a paunchy middle aged greybeard. No coincidence that scene methinks.

It is not coincidence. When I first wrote this chapter, I thought I made Foulques too good - as in too right, too successful. I tinkered it a bit to give it much more of a team effort. Philippe's boldness helps win the day, Foulques keeps him from overextending and losing his gains and Almodis keeps Foulques alive for another day. :) Foulques is getting old.

The next chapter follows shortly. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I almost scrapped the whole thing because I wasn't so sure I liked how it turned out, but it establishes some things I think need to be there. So we'll see how it goes. Hope you all like it!

Reactions:
Chapter 88 - March 1096
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 88
March 1096 - Paris, France

The streets of Paris were predictably lively.

Villagers moved along the road, navigating past men on horseback, like Foulques and his party, carts and those beggars on the side. Large men hauled barrels, women and men carried loaves of bread, while others lugged buckets of water.

It wasn’t completely unlike what Foulques might have seen in Anjou or Melun, but there was just much more of it as Paris was a growing city - even larger than the last time Foulques had spent time here.

Perhaps the biggest difference between it and Anjou was in the buildings, which had their upper stories jut out over the street. At points the houses on the two sides of the road were so close, it was as if group rode in a hallway, with torches, not sunlight, illuminating their path.

There was also the smell, which even made Foulques grimace at times. Foul, stale with the odor of feces, human and animal. One of the knights had even vomited.

A beggar approached their small procession. Foulques continued on by, uncertain if this latest pungent smell was of the area or the man himself. But the duke did take a glance back to see Herve give the man, or was it a woman, the duke could not tell, some coin.

Pointless, though if that’s what the boy wishes to do with his money, so be it, Foulques thought.

They continued on, traveling along the road until they reached a more open area, where a large stone building stood - odd in itself as most of the others they passed were made of wood.

A couple of teens approached them and took their horses after they dismounted, leaving Foulques and his accompanying knights to bound up the stairs and into this structure.

Columns rose up in the entry hall with two paths, one to the left and the other to the right, offered. An attendant directed them to the left, where they found themselves in a moderately sized room, surrounded by large wooden tubs all around them, all equipped with curtains. But silhouettes revealed people behind the curtains, and a few of the tubs had beautiful, youthful looking women exposed as they soaked in water.

It was all new for Foulques. He had long heard of public bathhouses, places that dated back to the Romans. But he had never actually been in one, usually choosing to bathe in private.

Long had he heard rumors of debauchery and sin taking place in these institutions. Though that was not a true concern for him he could certainly see how that might be true as his eyes were locked on the lithe body of a pale, freckled red-haired woman...

“Duke Foulques,” the attendant said, snapping him back to reality. “Your host awaits you in the hall to your right… your men can wait here and partake, if they desire.”

Foulques gave Herve and the knights nods. They would have to pay, but they would be free to do as they chose in this bathhouse.

As he moved to the center, a woman in a cloak slipped past. They quickly traded glances with one another, before she continued on, head down and covered. It was a sense of deja vu for Foulques who could not help but think he’d seen her before.

But he had to put it out of his mind as he entered a moderate-sized room, lit entirely by candles. In the center, a pool was built into a marble-tiled floor, filled with water. In that water, was the naked Duke of Toulouse, easing back against the edge pool, goblet behind him.

“Duke Foulques,” Toulouse said as he made eye contact with him. “I’m glad you could join me.”

“What is this?” Foulques asked.

“A bathhouse,” Toulouse said. “I know you have never been in one, but I had assumed you heard of them.”

“I know what a bathhouse is,” Foulques said. “But this room. It is not like the others.”

“Ah yes,” Toulouse said. “This reflects a more traditional bath, as it was in the days of the Romans. Few can afford to do something as this, but… the owner of this establishment makes his investment back by reserving this room for only the highest of society.”

“And how did you come to learn of it?” Foulques asked.

Toulouse chuckled and sipped his wine. “I know not if that is an earnest question, or a subtle blow. But I enjoy it nonetheless.”

“So how did you learn of it?”

“I asked,” Toulouse said. “I have grown fond of these in recent years in Toulouse. You can bathe in private, but there’s something… about the bathhouse environment that is just so appealing.”

“Yes, I think I walked past her on my way in,” Foulques said.

Toulouse smirked again. “Join me. The water is warm and it is refreshing to the body and its humors.”

Foulques had never bathed with another before, so there was a natural hesitation. It didn’t help that he could see his body looked much weaker and frail than his much younger peer. However, there appeared to be no harm in it, seeing as they were alone in the room beside a couple of servants, so he slipped out of his clothes and then stepped into the pool.

The water was warm, and the marble underneath was smooth and temperate.

“Not so bad then?” Toulouse replied as one of the servants brought Foulques a cup of wine.

“I am surprised to see you in such a place,” Foulques said. “I hear the church frowns upon such things.”

“The church does not have to be right about everything,” Toulouse said.

Foulques raised his brow. “Now that is truly surprising to hear you say. You, a friend of the pope. You who fought a war against the Emperor for the church.”

“I will defend the church till my last breath,” Toulouse said. “But the pope himself enjoys the finer things in life, I can tell you first hand. In any case, there are rules which I feel are best served for men of the cloth. I am not one of those men, so I can enjoy some of the more… sensual pleasures in life.”

1096_Pope_Anastatius.jpg

“Including your woman there,” Foulques said. “She seems familiar.”

“Margot. She is my sister in law,” Toulouse said. “Visiting with brother.”

“And where is your brother?” Foulques asked.

Toulouse smirked. “In Melun.”

1096_Margot.jpg

“You would admit such a thing?” Foulques said.

“Not widely,” Toulouse said. “But I thought you may understand. After all, did that Karling girl not just birth a bastard of yours? How does she fare?”

“Etiennette, or the child?” Foulques replied.

“Both,” Toulouse said.

“The mother does well,” Foulques said. “The child… she is not the strongest. But my physician does incredible work and she shows some improvement. It amazes me what she is capable of.”

“Your physician is not restricted by the frailties of her gender,” Toulouse said. “Impressive.”

“She is an exceptional woman,” Foulques said. “I wonder if she is truly touched by God.”

1096_Antoinette_born.jpg

1096_Adalmode_saves_Antoinette.jpg

“An exceptional woman,” Toulouse said. “I wonder if we live in the age of the exceptional woman. I see quite a few who play at the near equal of men.”

“The Countess Almodis,” Foulques noted.

“She certainly stands out,” Toulouse said. “But she is not alone. The Countess of La Marche is another - she may be the wife of Count Raoul of Vexin, but I think her more important to the realm than he. Your son would not be Duke of Aquitaine without her support. And she now seeks to make Alberic concede Gascony to another.”

Foulques shifted in the poor and stared down Toulouse. This was not unknown to him. “Alberic’s sister - your newest sister-in-law. Quite the coincidence.”

Toulouse grinned. “I suppose you have a great deal of questions for me over that matter. But I assure you, I offer no support to this rebellion. It is carried out by the Lady of La Marche and Roger of Bourbon. I merely give a home to my younger brother and his wife.”

“A wife who was supposed to marry Boudewijn’s brother,” Foulques noted. “How did she end up in your clutches?”

“Her expected groom took the cloth,” Toulouse said. “Perhaps he wished to avoid punishment for his brother’s likely failure. Regardless, her release was paid for. Along the way, she stopped at the keep of the Lady of La Marche. And… the lady convinced her that she was not safe with her brother. After all, he may have killed their sister, Filipa. So she fled to my court. I had a brother who needed a wife, so it worked out best for all parties.”

1096_Bishop_Frans.jpg

1096_Patricia_de_Poitou.jpg

1096_Countess_of_La_Marche.jpg

“Quite the coincidence,” Foulques said.

“It isn’t, but not in the way you think,” Toulouse said. “The countess wished for her to flee to rebel once more. But where could poor Patricia go? Certainly not to Aquitaine - Duke Geoffrey would not likely keep neutral on a claim he no doubt hopes to gain through his wife. The same could have been suspected of you. Perhaps the king, but Alberic serves on his council. Where else could she go, but to me?”

“And you did not incite the countess?”

Toulouse laughed. “She needs nothing of the sort. Alberic has brought this on himself. If he was wise, he would have let her and Bourbon go in his peace deal with your son. They would have been Duke Geoffrey’s problem. But Alberic would not concede his weakness and kept them. Now he pays for it once more.”

Foulques shook his head. He had long come to believe Alberic was a fool, and nothing about that story sounded out of the ordinary for him.

Still it was frustrating - partially because he strongly suspected Geoffrey did harbor intent to go after the entirety of Alberic's demesne one day, including Poitou and Gascony - that Alberic was so patently inept.

“That boy will lose all his family built,” Foulques said.

“Some men are simply not fit to rule,” Toulouse said. “You will find no better example than Alberic. He is spoiled, short-sighted, and cruel. It is no wonder he has been on his own for just a few years yet he is considered a tyrant.”

1096_Alberic.jpg

“And you stand to benefit,” Foulques said.

The smile faded from Toulouse’s face. “You already have.”

Then the younger man leaned back and smirked once again. “But, that is why I requested you to join me here. I knew you would not like this rebellion, so I thought it best if we… discussed it.”

“So you do block my son’s ambition,” Foulques said.

“No, it is as, I suspect, you were with Alberic,” Toulouse said. “I will not support the venture. I even moved to smooth things over by agreeing to a non-aggression pact with Alberic. But I will not hand my sister-in-law over. If it is successful, then I will not be upset. If it is not, I will lose no sleep over it.”

“But you wish to keep Geoffrey from Gascony,” Foulques said.

“If I had my way, I would,” Toulouse said. “While I pray you grace our presence for years to come Duke Foulques, no man lives forever. Eventually Duke Geoffrey will inherit Anjou. And Aquitaine. If he has Poitou and possibly Gascony, he stands to be a formidable figure. However, as I said, I do not plot against him. For that is the thing I wish to discuss.”

“Geoffrey’s future?”

“The future of our houses,” Toulouse said. “We stand as the most powerful lords in the realm. It’s natural that we would seek to further our own ambitions. In a different realm, that would put us against one another. But it need not here.”

“Go on.”

“My desires lay to the south,” Toulouse said. “I look to Iberia, especially as the king struggles there. Even our fellow Christian kingdoms lack… strength and unity. I think they would do well with a guiding hand.”

“Yours?”

“I see no reason why a man who could hold off the Emperor would not be a fine choice?” Toulouse said. “And then there is you. Brittany struggles under constant infighting among its lords. Who knows what shall remain of Blois after the king is done with Philipp of Champagne. You have ties in Burgundy. And there is still Normandy.”

“The king’s demesne of Normandy?” Foulques asked.

“Maine, at the very least,” Toulouse said. “And I do not say attack the king. I quite enjoy him, given the freedom he has allowed us and will likely continue to permit. But…”

Toulouse lowered his head. “Like you, the king will not live forever. His descendants may not be as enjoyable.”

Foulques said nothing. He did not harbor much thought at moving against the king, though he still hoped to at least gain the Count of Maine as his vassal. And he had not truly thought on moving against Blois, given his friendship with Philipp of Champagne.

However, Toulouse was not wrong. He knew the king wished to revoke Blois from Champagne. If opportunity presented itself…

And yet, he could not help see this for what it was. Toulouse wished to placate him on his pseudo-intervention in Gascony. Not that Foulques could involve himself now, besides pressing Marguerite’s claim. And he had little interest in doing that.

“You speak of mutual ambition but yet your family moves on Gascony, and I wonder of Poitou, since Patricia is the heir there, is she not?” Foulques asked. “You may try to frame it as I did, but… I did frame it first.”

“I speak truth to you,” Toulouse said. “I see the benefit in it. But I also do not have the greatest relationship with my brothers. So, if it fails, I will not shed a tear.”

“So… you mean to tell me you win either way?” Foulques said. “And that you do not care either way?”

“I do win either way,” Toulouse said. “But I would prefer to win with the weakest Gascony possible, which happens if Patricia becomes Duchess.”

The unstated point was that Geoffrey would be the worst option. But at the moment, Foulques knew that could not happen. So he left it alone.

"What of Poitou?" Foulques asked. "If Geoffrey moved on it, what would you say?"

"I would not love it, but if he holds Aquitaine and Poitou... and leaves Gascony, then that will be acceptable," Toulouse said. “As I have said, Duke Foulques, I think we can turn this realm into our own. Alberic is weak. The other strong dukes rebelled and will have their power cut from them. We will be in position to benefit - together, few could stand against us.”

Foulques began to laugh. The words were too familiar.

“You think my offer humorous?” Toulouse asked.

“I think it less unique than you think,” Foulques said. “Philipp of Champagne once offered me similar honeyed words. And look where we stand now.”

“Ah,” Toulouse said as he leaned back. “I think myself smarter than to follow a Flemish fool in pursuits. But… it is worth saying, you are still his friend are you not? He has betrayed the king, not you.”

That was the truth of it.

The boy has an answer for everything, Foulques thought. He knew Toulouse was merely talking, and likely could not fully be trusted. But… he could not deny it, he liked him. He was, in many ways transparent, though he moved to hide his plots in plain sight. It was something Foulques found himself appreciative of.

1096_Toulouse_and_Foulques_become_friends.jpg

“Your future is an interesting one,” Foulques said. “One I might be able to get behind.”

“I can see little reason why you wouldn’t,” Toulouse said. He reached back and raised a goblet of wine. “To the future!”

Foulques raised his as well.

But he could not get more than a quick sip before he was distracted by the sound of a little commotion behind him. It was an argument of sorts.

Foulques looked back and saw Herve at the entrance of the room, trying to get past the attendant.

“Let him through!” Foulques shouted.

The attendant looked toward Foulques. He did not move at first, before bowing his head and stepping to the side.

“What is the commotion about boy?” Foulques demanded.

“Uncle… I mean, my lord,” Herve began, “they have just brought the news into the bathhouse but… it is the Duke of Flanders.”

“What of him?” Toulouse demanded. “Has he surrendered to the king?”

“No, sir,” Herve said. “He is dead.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
“No, sir,” Herve said. “He is dead.”

Didn't see that coming. Now the question is is the rebellion dead or will it continue with another at its head.

I truly enjoyed all the plotting between Foulques and Toulouse and how they were carving up a post rebellion France almost like the king did not matter. I hope for once Foulques thinks things through and proceeds with caution. Peacetime has been his enemy many times in the past.

Reactions:
Well, that is going to certainly change the game, methinks. With luck, the claim and the rebellion will die with him, though such an anticlimax might sow the seeds for another vassal to make his own power play.

In a sense, I can't help but see Toulouse as something of Foulques's surrogate for Philippe. He has much the same qualities as the king once did in his youth: A silver tongue, high ambitions, a cunning mind, and a take-on-the-world attitude much like the young Foulques himself once held (and which he still clings to, though in a much-transmuted form). It's easy to see how Foulques might develop an affinity for a man in whom all the qualities he's admired (however much he would keep the sentiment close to the vest) in his king, and without the ties of fealty complicating things.

Though, speaking of Philippe, I can't imagine he'd be too thrilled to hear how two of his most powerful vassals are basically carving up his kingdom amongst themslves, which he almost certainly will one way or another. I suspect Foulques and Philippe are going to have another highly-charged dialogue the next time they're face to face -- if not about that matter specifically, then almost certainly with the shadow looming in the background.

(Also: Cannibal Pope! :eek: )

• 1Love
Reactions: